good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » June 29th, 2017, 9:48 am

Good morning
We've had a lot of rain but currently bright though overcast and feels quite warm if / when the sun hits you so my seedlings are happy
Doing bits of housework myself, then I'm going to draw a line in the sand and get on with other stuff, hampered as my right ankle is still abit dodgy and I'm bored with not being able to walk long distances. Getting better though.
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 29th, 2017, 9:53 am

i think my ankles are the only joints I'm not hampered by at the moment!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 29th, 2017, 10:09 am

I did the classic, stuck my foot in a rabbit hole in the dusk and tore ligaments
The original injury was quite spectacular for weeks, and has flared up for no apparent reason, no swelling though, so I'm hoping it will go away if I keep it supported and don't over strain it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 29th, 2017, 11:07 am

Good morning all :D
OH is at the Farm Shop today ... I've made a potato, tarragon and fennel salad for this evening to have with the second half of the lemon and tarragon roasted chicken from yesterday ... he'll bring home some baby gems and we have some radicchio in the fridge.
But what to have for lunch ......... I know that we have bread, egg and cheese available ........... maybe Gypsy toast ...... maybe Welsh rarebit ....
Then I will be mainly watching tennis ...........
Have a good day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 30th, 2017, 9:04 am

good morning, all.
heavy cloud, rain and wind from the north west. it promises to be better tomorrow. (jam tomorrow even though we didn't get jam yesterday!)
more hswk needed before tonight - i'm not getting through it very quickly - they'll just have to put up with it.
i'll get myself moving when i've finished my coffee.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 1st, 2017, 7:23 am

Morning everyone and welcome to the new month - Kalo Mina (as they say in Greece!). A bit overcast and dull but relatively mild - hopefully some more sunshine later in July. Looking forward to a lazy Saturday.
Have a good day all!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 1st, 2017, 7:37 am

Pinches and punches and white rabbits and all that fandangle :lol:
Sunshine and blue skies out there ... but a blustery wind ... I shall mainly be sewing up the knitting and watching the tennis.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 1st, 2017, 8:45 am

good morning, all.
i can't hear wet stuff falling off the roof and there's a big bright thing in the sky. when i work out what it is i'll let you know - i can vaguely remember something like it being around a couple of weeks ago.
we are off out, en famille, when everyone gets their bums in gear, for lunch at 'the pottager' near constantine. i think my partner is the only one up at the moment (i don't know about the other young's household but i think my son's partner has been doing nights), he's been to open up and water the poly tunnel, coming back with an eighteen inch (plus) 'courgette' that has obviously been missed in the picking last week. that will be two meals each of courgetti and some courgette curry, during the week.
i think the coffeelepathy needs to start working soon.
have a grand day, everyone

ps. pinch and a kick for being so quick.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 1st, 2017, 8:52 am

Morning all. Dull and overcast here, not raining yet but I reckon it will be soon. Tidied the half mile walk to the shop for weekly TV guide. Today's breakfast cornflakes with tinned mandarin segments. Not sure of eats for the rest of the day. May go and help Mum with her gardening. She struggles alone. I can cut the grass (huge) killing two birds with one stone.....Mum - garden done, me - exercise! Of course that's if it stays dry! Have a good day everyone!
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 1st, 2017, 9:41 am

Good morning all
Had a great trip to Docklands museum yesterday, and saw the Crossrail archaeology. Had lunch in The Ledger House, a Wetherspoons, a beautiful historic building.
Don't often go to docklands, but have now learned the bus routes, and there is quite a bit to see
Supposed to be going to the jazz picnic tomorrow, so need to make some picnic food, but the weather has now threatened to be wet on Sunday, though the previous forecast was that it would be the fine day this weekend.....
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 1st, 2017, 3:57 pm

That sounds like a good day out Sue. I've really enjoyed the tv programmes about Crossrail. I presume you can get there using the DLR too?
cooksalot
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 1st, 2017, 4:24 pm

The Emirates cable car is worth doing if you're not afraid of heights. You can combine it with a trip on one of the river ferries.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on July 2nd, 2017, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 1st, 2017, 4:49 pm

I am trying to contact my mate Peter as we said we would do the cable car this year but he has fallen off my radar. It looks excellent from below on a river boat cruise. We were brave enough to agree we would do it. Maybe an idea for a London meet?
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » July 1st, 2017, 10:03 pm

I'm not good with heights but I do enjoy the emirates trip. Until 'someone' wobbles the car :o :o :evil: .
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 2nd, 2017, 9:22 am

Good morning
Brilliant sunshine here :o
Pottering on with picnic cooking and cat grooming (in different rooms)
Haven't done the Emirates cable car, I am the person who went into shock on the London Eye, but I've been on cable cars on holiday since and been ok so I'll probably get around to it when other people want to go
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 2nd, 2017, 10:32 am

good morning, all.
sunny patches.
lunch was not partaken at 'the pottager' but at the beach café. unfortunately, due to a misunderstanding our son and his partner headed off to gilly beach café in falmouth. they were texted a photo of the menu and by the time they'd got back up to the north coast all of our food was just arriving - excellent timing.
we all went back to theirs (after having a game of braggart at the café) for a cup of coffee and a dish out of slabs of wedding cakes before saying goodbye to the 'newlyweds' until the end of the month, when they're down for a friend's wedding.
nothing pressing today although 'courgetti' may be made for the local young, tonight.
they are still without a kitchen.
have a lazy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 3rd, 2017, 10:09 am

good morning, all.
overcast and damp.
nothing planned for today although a spot of shopping will be needed soon - especially milk.
a bit of laundry may be a necessity, too. none has been done for a week or so. i think it's time to get the clothes horse and dehumidifier combo going rather than waiting for a dry day or i will be 'nicholas'.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2017, 11:41 am

Good after morning all :)
Scully,you may be interested to know that a Son of Cornwall and a dear friend of mine died yesterday http://cabaret.co.uk/ron-fuller-1936-2017/ ... the Simon Tait article linked to at the foot of that page is a good one. A genius and the kindest person I ever met.
Have a good day folks. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 3rd, 2017, 2:44 pm

StokeySue wrote:Had a great trip to Docklands museum yesterday, and saw the Crossrail archaeology. Had lunch in The Ledger House, a Wetherspoons, a beautiful historic building.

Did this trip today! Really enjoyable visit and a ride on the Docklands railway too. Thanks for the idea Sue, it was a very good day out to a part of London we rarely visit. :D
Enjoy the rest of the afternoon, everyone.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby smitch » July 3rd, 2017, 2:52 pm

cooksalot wrote:
StokeySue wrote:Had a great trip to Docklands museum yesterday, and saw the Crossrail archaeology. Had lunch in The Ledger House, a Wetherspoons, a beautiful historic building.

Did this trip today! Really enjoyable visit and a ride on the Docklands railway too. Thanks for the idea Sue, it was a very good day out to a part of London we rarely visit. :D
Enjoy the rest of the afternoon, everyone.

I'm planning to visit in August, just booked my train and hotel. We tend to visit one museum every time we go to London and we've never been there before. Looking forward to it!
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 3rd, 2017, 4:07 pm

Well, pleased it suited cooksalot, I will go back sometime to see the rest of the permanent display
We do one similar outing each month, Ann organises them for U3A, missed last month's outing to the Design Museum, so will have to do catch up, it's now in the former Commonwealth Institute in Kensington, shame we no longer have the CI though, I remember going to concerts there
Not sure where we are going next
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 3rd, 2017, 5:54 pm

StokeySue wrote:Well, pleased it suited cooksalot, I will go back sometime to see the rest of the permanent display

Yes, me too, so much to learn about and see. I love the London Museum at the Barbican but this one was fab - such a great location too.
What a good idea, to organise a monthly outing! I always think how much there is to see in London and now I have my 60+Freedom pass there is really no excuse not to take advantage.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 3rd, 2017, 7:39 pm

cooksalot wrote:What a good idea, to organise a monthly outing! I always think how much there is to see in London and now I have my 60+Freedom pass there is really no excuse not to take advantage.

I've been saying that for 10 years ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 4th, 2017, 9:09 am

good morning, all.
overcast but bright.
it's a shame the rest of the country doesn't get london privileges - especially on transport.
our village is supplied by a private bus company, and the only time i've been offered free transport was to use the park and ride for a mammogram visit where the 'van' was in the park and ride car park where i would have to park for that side of truro anyway - the free transport didn't extend to our bus supplier only to the truro (national) company.
the company my son works for have just realised that they can't function without him. he is off on unpaid leave to do his yearly stint at a sporting event where he earns nearly a quarter of a years pay in three weeks. this was agreed and diary'd back at the start of the year (so the company doesn't have to pay him so much - it's happened for the two/three years that he's been working for them) but it's just dawned on them that they will have to give him 'a substantial pay rise' so that he doesn't disappear when they need him most, every year.
he's off to southport this morning - yesterday they asked if there was any way he could cancel going - silly them.
i didn't go shopping yesterday - coffee doesn't taste as good with 'emergency' milk.
have a grand day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 4th, 2017, 10:05 am

scullion wrote:it's a shame the rest of the country doesn't get london privileges - especially on transport.

Not just a "London privilege" - I know 60+ passes are available in Merseyside, Wales and Scotland, possibly other parts of the country too? People should lobby their local councils who could provide them if they wanted to.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 4th, 2017, 10:08 am

I understand that my Freedom pass is acceptable on all local buses throughout England ... however I have to admit that it is extremely useful for travelling on London Transport.

TBH, if I had to choose, I would rather give up my Winter fuel allowance than give up my Freedom pass ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby smitch » July 4th, 2017, 10:17 am

In Greater Manchester, local 60+ people can use the bus, train or tram for free after 9.30 weekdays and all days weekends and bank holidays. People of that age from outside the area can use the bus for free as that is supported by the government.
smitch
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2017, 10:35 am

Some rural routes are only covered by private bus companies ... they can choose whether or not to offer concessionary or free fares ... it may well be that if they did so the route would be uneconomic ... my understanding is that in cases like this the local authority sometimes subsidises the route ... but with the thumbscrews being continually tightened on the LAs ..........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2017, 10:46 am

There's no rhyme or reason to the age bands
In London and some other Metropolitan areas you get the local travel pass at 60+, so I get my Oyster card because I live in a London borough (and I'm old enough!) but the Freedom Pass scheme doesn't cut in until you are 65. That seems to link to the national bus concession scheme, which should apply to you scully, but not yet! It does depend on what your local council chooses to fund. I did have a Senior Railcard, which you can get at 60 but you have to pay for it so not always worth it.
And I think there are some more obscure ones that cut in if you are on benefits including state OAP.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » July 4th, 2017, 11:22 am

suffolk wrote:Some rural routes are only covered by private bus companies ... they can choose whether or not to offer concessionary or free fares ... it may well be that if they did so the route would be uneconomic ... my understanding is that in cases like this the local authority sometimes subsidises the route ... but with the thumbscrews being continually tightened on the LAs ..........

All of our transport methods (bus, train and tram) are run by private companies. The concessionary scheme is subsidised by the council/government though. My borough is very rural in parts, as is the neighbouring one, but the bus companies must still offer the free (or before 9.30, reduced) fare to over 60s.
smitch
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 4th, 2017, 11:47 am

smitch wrote:
suffolk wrote:Some rural routes are only covered by private bus companies ... they can choose whether or not to offer concessionary or free fares ... it may well be that if they did so the route would be uneconomic ... my understanding is that in cases like this the local authority sometimes subsidises the route ... but with the thumbscrews being continually tightened on the LAs ..........

All of our transport methods (bus, train and tram) are run by private companies. The concessionary scheme is subsidised by the council/government though. My borough is very rural in parts, as is the neighbouring one, but the bus companies must still offer the free (or before 9.30, reduced) fare to over 60s.

That's not quite the case now Smitch, we live in greater Manchester and my husband who is 60 can't get a bus pass until he reaches state retirement age, currently 66. It's now linked to state retirement- he was most disappointed.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 4th, 2017, 11:49 am

I got mine this morning. I'm 64 this month. However in London we get a free Oyster card at 60. The Freedom Pass means I can go further afield by bus.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby smitch » July 4th, 2017, 11:53 am

Busybee wrote:
smitch wrote:

That's not quite the case now Smitch, we live in greater Manchester and my husband who is 60 can't get a bus pass until he reaches state retirement age, currently 66. It's now linked to state retirement- he was most disappointed.

BB

Yeah I'd forgotten that! Both my parents got theirs at 60, but my father in law has to wait.
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » July 4th, 2017, 2:12 pm

my partner got his bus pass at sixty - i have to wait until i'm sixty seven. i think he's used it once - if we go into truro we usually go in together in the car - it's cheaper than getting one return bus ticket - and less effort than carrying all the shopping for over half a mile, from the bus stop.
we do get to ignore some yellow lines out of season and the beach car park is free from october to march (it used to be the beginning of september until easter but people keep coming down out of season for some reason)
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2017, 3:22 pm

scullion wrote: the beach car park is free from october to march (it used to be the beginning of september until easter but people keep coming down out of season for some reason)
:oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 5th, 2017, 9:40 am

good morning, all.
sunny. i'll go and get some vitamin d shortly.

present company excepted, of course - and most locals don't park in the car park during the paying season, anyway!

i've been offered a coffee but my partner's been distracted by data loggers and solar cookers - and potatoes. the coffee may come in the next hour if i'm lucky - it may get forgotten if i'm not.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2017, 9:52 am

Good morning
Sunny here too
Trying to get back into doing stuff, I've been slumped in front of Wimbledon
I cane back from the jazz picnic on Sunday with a monstrous migraine, lasted most of Monday and Tuesday, haven't had one for ages, couldn't work out what it was for a while.
Not helped by going to the dental hygienist on Monday and the vet yesterday.
I got a clean bill of health, Rani is waiting for the results of tests, not looking good, she doesn't seem miserable, she's just not eating. And she's 17 next week
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 5th, 2017, 11:27 am

Good after morning all :D
We had a glorious blue sky all morning, but now there's some grey and white fluffies.
Knitting and tennis are the order of today
Hope Rani feels better soon Sue
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 5th, 2017, 12:13 pm

:hug: The gentlest hugs and cuddles for Rani. I was speaking with a rather glorious Persian cat called Tinkerbell yesterday. She certainly knew that the household ran to cater for her every whim.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Thank you
When I went to the vet yesterday there was a gorgeous grey kitten, the puff of smoke kind, she had swallowed warfarin based rat poison, but vet thinks he got her in time
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 5th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Our 3 run this household...... we are allowed to live here and open a can of food once a day and provide cat nip as and when... Fuss when they demand, they are great at ignoring us when they desire.... that reminds me I must go and give Scrumpy a poke, as he was pawing me awake at 5.30 this morning...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby FoodMary » July 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Hope Rani is OK Sue. Lulu has been having a little trouble with her orange eye (I think you all know she has one green eye and one orange one). The vet is hopeful that it is just because she has caught the corner of it when scratching or cleaning herself. He has told me to wrap her in a towel and put two drops in daily - I told him chance would be a fine thing!!!

Actually she seems to be OK as soon as I manage to wrap her up and I managed OK this morning.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby scullion » July 5th, 2017, 12:54 pm

one of our cats had a bad eye scratch a few years ago - drops and metacalm dosed a couple of times a day plus they took some of his blood, centrifuged it and gave me the serum to drop in, too.
he fought a little at first because it was obviously too painful when i opened his eye but after a very short while he obviously realised it would feel better after i'd done it and just sat there calmly. he has since adored me like i was the miracle feel good queen and stares lovingly at me for hours on end in a creepy way, even craning his neck round to keep me in view if sat the wrong way round on my lap - or someone else's lap - be warned.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2017, 1:27 pm

To use eye drops (or eye wipes) with a cat, hold cat firmly with one wrist tucked under its armpits, against your ribs, both of you facing a mirror, and do it looking into the mirror
The cat usually is slightly bemused by this, the hind legs are hanging too loose for kick boxing, and any scratching and biting is aimed at the reflection
Worked with Rani even in her wild child days
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 5th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Purrs and Meowws sent from my fluffies to Rani.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 6th, 2017, 10:44 am

good morning, all.
overcast but bright.
my personal barista is in need of a hint but as he probably has headphones on i will have to go down the coffelepathy pathway again. or, as he's been on his laptop all morning, i suppose i could send him an email - sad huh?
don't think that i'm demanding - this and a cup of cocoa in the evening are all the reciprocation i expect from the multiple cups of tea and meals etc i get for him during the day (excluding all the other hswk i do, not he, for the rest of the time).
i received a new toy, a kindle fire, through the post yesterday. it was (not) a free gift with taking out a subscription for the radio times. i say not as, before going for the offer, i worked out the cost of it due to the comparatively higher cost of the subscription. it cost twenty pounds, in that way, over a years subscription rather than the fifty pounds 'free' gift as advertised. - it will probably, mostly, be used as an e-reader as my ageing kindle doesn't have an inbuilt light and i do tend to read under the covers!
the coffee has been offered but may take time to arrive - i think he's been distracted again.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2017, 10:47 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Paperwork has been done ... phone calls have been made ... windows and doors are open ... blinds are down ... Wimbledon is on :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2017, 10:56 am

Good morning
Hot and sunny again, cat marginally more cheerful, still waiting for results of lab tests
I seem to have recovered from the migraine so may actually eat something other than slow release carbs today, might dive over the road for an avocado.
Wimbledon slightly less tempting today, though Edmonds and Monfils could be a good match
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2017, 9:05 am

good morning, all.
bright with sunshine here.
last night's dinner contained a large heap of mangetout peas from the community garden. we have a couple of meals worth of fava, runner, french and pea beans to eat as well. also picked were some rather short, fat, smooth cucumbers. i'm not sure if they're the type you make dill pickles with or whether they should have been gherkins! i have two of them, they would make two largish jar-fulls. i will find a recipe.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2017, 9:15 am

Norwich is recovering from the deluge ... I have ordered my brother a box of cherries for his birthday ... bits of h*wk have been done, sweet peas have been picked and I'm ready to knit and watch tennis.
Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop