good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » January 18th, 2018, 11:30 am

good morning, all.
the wind has dropped and it's bright at the moment but that may not be for long. it would be nice to have a walk on the beach but i'm not counting on it.
a bit of hswk to do. yesterday's was quite rewarding. my partner took the washing out of the machine (for a change) and found a fiver in the drum. i pointed out that it was laundress' privilege and that in theory it wasn't his. as i put the clothes onto the horse (even i get a vivid image with that one) i found another one in the middle of the washing. i allowed him to keep the one he found (seeing as they came from his pocket anyway).
laundress' privilege is my way of making him check his pockets before he puts stuff in the wash. he was most upset a few years ago when i made forty pounds from one wash. he's much better at it now.
fingers crossed for the play, well done.
have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 18th, 2018, 11:35 am

Good morning
We have sun, but it's fading
Think I'll get on with some cleaning up and try to finish my book before I go to book club tonight (which will get me a bit of a walk there and back
Spend your fiver wisely scully!
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 18th, 2018, 11:40 am

spoilsport!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2018, 11:46 am

Nah ........ fritter it away on a hedgehog or two :chops:

Good morning all ........... we're recovering from the gales ..... the worst we've had in quite a while ... think DD may have had it worse than us tho' .
Supper's been in the slowcooker for a couple of hours already and lunch is the remains of yesterday's Cockaleekie heated up so I have nothing to do but spend the day in the studio with OH, the radio and lots of :mug: :D
Have a good day everyone :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 21st, 2018, 10:12 am

I think it might be snowing. Either that or the rain is so soft/slow that it's coming down at the rate of snow and thus looks a bit like it. Nah I think it's snow. Not sticking though. It's been raining solidly for over 24 hours so everything is very wet.

Feeling cheered this morning as, after several months of being only able to wear one (very unstylish, not-waterproof) shoes due to an issue (a very painful issue) with my foot, I find I am able to wear a pair of Edwarian-style lace up boots, and maybe an ancient down-at-heel (literally), but serviceable old pair of flat Mary Janes (if that's not a contradiction.) I am not pushing the issue by trying any of my really nice shoes on just yet. I know this all sounds a bit shallow, and I am not a terribly clothes-conscious person (in spite of - or consequently? - having too many) but it was a bit depressing only being able to wear shoes that basically look like very dull slippers. When I bought them I was told they were very popular with nurses and people who are their feet all day...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2018, 10:24 am

Good morning all :D

We woke to a very sharp frost, but the sparkling hoar frost is thawing ... the lawn is full of blackbirds tucking into chopped apple, porridge oats and raisins ........ their own muesli mix :lol:

Did any of you hear Howard Jacobson on A Point of View this morning R4 on the complexities of life? ......... worth a listen ........

Have a lovely Sunday folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 21st, 2018, 12:11 pm

Good morning
Constant rain here still
Fighting off a cold again but think I might succeed with this one
Will go and attempt to wash the kitchen floor but first I need to remove the old mop head so I can replace it, and it defeats me so far

Herbi shoes are a minefield, I'm often to be seen in actual hiking boots these days, in London
Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 21st, 2018, 3:44 pm

I hope this is a sign that my foot is recovering a bit. I was worried (still am, actually) that buying non-painful shoes will involve a lot of expensive trial and error: a pair of Camper boots that were my most comfortable footware, and seemed ok when I walked around the house in them, were agony after ten minutes outside, and caused my foot to hurt for the next 4 days. i.e. to find out if a new pair is ok, I am potentially going to have to wear them to an extent, and in circumstances, that will make them unreturnable. This is one reason why my Iceland holiday has been put on hold as it will require appropriate footwear that I don't currently own.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 21st, 2018, 4:18 pm

I wondered for years why retired people went walking in kit that seemed at least a grade up from what conditions required, now I have arthritis in my hips and possibly my ankles I too wear lightweight hiking boots for a 4k stroll round the nature reserve :lol:

My smart comfortable loafers are Geox, really like them. And I have a pair of Clarks Mary Janes with a little Cuban heel (very flapper) for wearing with frocks
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2018, 5:28 pm

My feet need me to wear a little heel ... just a little one, 1.5" or so ............... my knees disagree :rolleyes:

Life doesn't get any easier does it .....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 21st, 2018, 7:06 pm

It's my big toe joint that's the problem. For the last few months, anything that puts the slightest bit of pressure on it causes agony. A flick of the finger did the same at one point. (I experimented...) I suspect it's a bunion, possibly exacerbated by a foot injury. (The foot looks exactly like the other one, which is not problematic at all.) I've never really worn heals, but do like to occasionally. Usually chunky and not more than 1.5 inches though. It does feel a bit like: turn 50: get bunion. I need to get it diagnosed, but my fall the other week and having to go up north caused me to cancel my appointment.
Since sandals weather ended, I have only been able to wear these:

Clarks shoes.JPG

I can't even wear the Mary Janeish version that they do. They do feel like slippers on. They'd be fine under trousers, I suppose, but I am not a trouser person.

I will be devastated if sandals are a problem.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 21st, 2018, 8:47 pm

Herbidacious wrote:For the last few months, anything that puts the slightest bit of pressure on it causes agony. A flick of the finger did the same at one point. (I

Sorry - you suspect? Have you not seen someone about it? I would have done after a few weeks, let alone a few months. And didn't you complain about your husband not seeing the GP early doors? :lol: :hug: :hug:

Seriously, if there's no obvious bunion there are loads of other possibilitoes, including gout and rheumatoid arthritis and lots of other rhings that
don't come to ny mind. And treatment helps with most of them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 21st, 2018, 10:44 pm

oh b**ger. Arthritis. I suppose I assumed it was a bunion and that there is not a lot that could be done about that. Both my big toes point in a bit, but have done for a long while and they look the same.

ok will re-book an appointment. Can't go until I have sorted my mother out though. She wants me to go up midweek this week. I think she is afraid of being discharged which is in the pipeline tomorrow or Tuesday. Sigh. I really can't spare the work time... and I can only prevail upon work to allow me time out to do these things every now and again even when I am not so busy. I also need to see an optician which I have to do during the week as my City branch optician doesn't open at the weekends... oh and go to the dentist.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2018, 12:25 am

Herbidacious wrote:oh b**ger. Arthritis. I suppose I assumed it was a bunion and that there is not a lot that could be done about that

I think there's a certain amount to be done for a bunion, and it coukd be any one of many things

I wondered if I was developing bunions but apparently I've just got scrawny feet and it's deceptive
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 22nd, 2018, 7:56 am

It must be drizzling, Scrumpy has just walked over me and he is damp....

Gout is excruciating ! I could not even bear a sheet over my foot. Thankfully now under meds but I do have a lump of a toe joint on my right foot which does cause some problems in closed footwear. Love summer as I live in flip flops or bare feet. :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 22nd, 2018, 10:01 am

I don't think it's gout(...?!)
The affected area was never particularly red or hot, although it may have been a tiny bit swollen.
I do wish I'd had it looked at when it was at it's worse, now...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 22nd, 2018, 10:18 am

Ma had appalling bunions, with her big right toe crossing over/under the one next to it ... that joint is a bit pronounced on my right foot ... I'm keeping an eye on it :x

A dull quiet day here, milder than of late, but the birds are still tucking into the feeders ....... OH has to go up to the former farm shop to hand his keys in today, so he'll pop into the GC and get some more suet 'nibbles with bugs in' ... the bluetits seem to like those :)

I have a day in the studio planned now that a layer of paint has dried a bit I can apply some coloured glazes ... I love doing that ... a very traditional method of painting ... I usually have a Britten CD playing and it all becomes quite intense ...
Tell me if it's too loud :lol: ;)

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 22nd, 2018, 10:49 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny and dry, sorry!
I'm charging my watch on the windowsill
I'm not there but here and I must stop watching the world news and go out.
Have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

Good morning
Not actually raining at the moment
BFF has just been diagnosed with gout so it's on my mind, no lump, no redness, just pain on walking, she thought ligaments initially. Other friend we thought had classic gout, turns out it's RA which does run her family. I tend to leave it to the experts now
Must get on with some stuff
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 23rd, 2018, 9:09 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny with too little breeze to move the muslin curtain.
Today, I intend to go to the castle where one can also find the archaeological museum. Later I will head up to the uni to meet up for dinner.
Just out of interest, fruit is far more expensive than at home. A kilo of bananas, at the market, was €1.80, a punnet of strawberries was €2.50 and oranges about €2.50 a kilo. The annoying thing was that the dried figs I also bought were taken from a bag at the back of the stall rather than the ones on display and were no way as good looking. I'll be more attentive next time!
Have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2018, 9:56 am

Good morning
Grey here and it has rained over night, thoughnot heavily I think

It's odd how the prices of things vary, I remember being astonished how expensive veg were in pre-Euro Paris, especially as eating out was so cheap.
Shame about the figs though
Just a day of pottering on here
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2018, 10:10 am

Grey and damp here .... think the primary school are on an outing ... I heard the sounds of excited children piling into charabancs when I got out of the shower .... the big coaches always pick the children up at the bottom of this little road as there's not enough room for them to turn around up at the top of their road and as this road is a cul de sac there's not much traffic to present a danger.
Supper to prep then heading for the studio ... OH is heading for the garden centre as he bought some bird food for me yesterday but was overcharged and didn't notice until he got home ... he phoned them and they'll sort it out today.

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2018, 8:05 am

Good morning. Very windy here today. BBC says 46mph if you type in my post code. To go up to 50mph. A little less windy in town but rains forecast. I'd rather like to go back to bed :shock: I do hope my train will be ok. It comes down from Bedford, and prone to cancellation at the drop of the hat...which means I have to take two trains and it takes almost twice as long.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 25th, 2018, 9:46 am

Good morning. Lovely day here. The wind's dropped, the rain's gone, the sun is out. And I am working from home, so I may nip out at lunch time with my camera.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 25th, 2018, 10:24 am

Good morning
Sunny here too
Wat hing the tennis thoughat the moment, Edmunds playing well but losing
Johnny the builder and his side kick are on next door's roof trying waterproof it, which is good as it is making a corner of my kitchen slightly damp

Will go out soon

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 25th, 2018, 11:00 am

Good morning, all.
A bit overcast and the beeb predicts a bit of rain at midday (what's that all about!).
We're off to find a bus to go to some roman ruins and a 'palace' with gardens in a bit, after breakfast has gone down.
Tomorrow, we are getting the train for a couple of stops along the coast to meet up with the son of a friend who, by strange chance, was at the conference on one of the days. We have known him since he was about six and his mother now lives up in our village. He's teaching english out here - we knew he was traveling on the continent but had no idea he was here. It was a big surprise when my partner looked up from what he was doing to see the chap watching him - I think it surprised both of them.
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 25th, 2018, 11:07 am

Bright sunshine, blue skies and birds sussing out nest boxes ... spring's in the air ... let's hope February doesn't put the kybosh on it ...
Sounds as if you're having a lovely trip Scully 8-)
I have to paint our house number on our new bin .........
Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 25th, 2018, 3:33 pm

We just had a rain shower. The sun came out before it ended. There was a massive rainbow... which disappeared between me seeing it upstairs, running down, grabbing my camera an opening the front door!

Golden hour time how :) Still lots of blue sky.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 25th, 2018, 4:43 pm

No shower here

Scully, it's weird how you bump into people you know when away from home, thrice in a short time I encountered people I knew on cross-channel ferries (actually I hid from Georgina, not surprised they named a storm after her)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 25th, 2018, 10:14 pm

We bumped into a friend (and, ex, actually) of husband's from college days on a ferry. She clearly didn't want to talk to us. Imagine being stuck with someone you don't want to talk to on a Cherbourg-Portsmouth one, poor thing. We didn't inflict ourselves on her. To be fair (?) to both of us, we think she might have been on a romantic holiday with a newish boyfriend. I was relieved too.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 29th, 2018, 9:58 am

Good morning, all.
The sun is trying to shine and I assume it's chillier than I've been used to for the week just gone.

suffolk wrote:I have to paint our house number on our new bin .........

Will you sign it?!

We're staying at my brother's for another couple of nights before heading home - which I'm rather looking forward to. I'm missing a walk on the beach followed by a leisurely coffee - and vegetables/salad of my accustomed quantity.
Our last item consumed in Portugal was a pastel de nata - I will look out a recipe and have a go when we're home, they were rather nice.
I have been handed coffee.
Have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 29th, 2018, 10:09 am

Not signed Scully, but identifiably mine ;)
Love pastel de nata ....... a little treat when visiting my late Aged Ps was to pop into the deli on Southwold High Street and buy a couple for our supper .... it's been too long since we last had any ... I think there's a thread on here somewhere with recipes ...
Have a lovely day folks :D

Edited to say: Think this is it viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13492&p=369936&hilit=custard+tarts#p369936
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 29th, 2018, 10:24 am

I've just done a search, the thread is about custard tarts by someone called Jeremy Lee. The recipe given is for English style custard tarts so no recipe for the pastel de nata unfortunately - a different kettle of fish, really.
I'll have a hunt when I get home.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 29th, 2018, 10:25 am

Good morning
Welcome back Scully! Yesterday booked to go to Portugal in October, doing a Douro cruise. Pastels de nata will doubtless be consumed (do they go in for them that far north? Or something else?) When we stayed in Lisbon they were on the breakfast buffet, bit rich first thing IMHO

Housework calls today having slumped for most of the last week
Habe a goid day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 29th, 2018, 11:20 am

scullion wrote:I've just done a search, the thread is about custard tarts by someone called Jeremy Lee. The recipe given is for English style custard tarts so no recipe for the pastel de nata unfortunately - a different kettle of fish, really.
I'll have a hunt when I get home.

The thread starts of with English style tarts, but keep going down, lots about pastel de nata.....
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 29th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Mind you, a Jeremy Lee recioe is probably worth a punt, great chef, nice man it seems

Here's Paul Hollywood's recipe, having seen a few videos I think the way you make the pastry cases is critical
http://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/pauls-pasteis-de-nata/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 30th, 2018, 9:20 am

Good morning, all.
I think it's bright but I haven't looked beyond the curtain yet - lazy me!
But I think it's possibly better to keep out of the way of of the person going to work on two accounts - the first being that it delays the usual routine and the second that it's not nice being reminded that others don't have to go to work while you are feeling gross and have to.
I had a taste of a chocolate flavoured fortified wine, the other night, and wondered of what it reminded me. It occurred to me after a couple of sips that'd it was pretty similar to the feuille de peche recipe I make with slightly less of the peach leaf flavour and an addition of the chocolate. I will experiment with cocoa nibs when I get home.
Oops, the waters going off so I'm going to go I n the shower.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 30th, 2018, 9:30 am

Frosty here but a beautiful bright and sunny day.
Brilliant photography day. Ah well. I enjoyed my walk to the station.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 30th, 2018, 9:36 am

Good morning
Frosty here but brilliant sun
Good day for continuing to degrease the kitchen so I can get someone to work on it
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 30th, 2018, 9:53 am

Early to bed and early to rise means that the potatoes etc are already simmering away to construct a Cottage Pie for supper ...
OH has fed the birds who were queueing up at the one feeder with any sunflower hearts left in it ... our blackbirds don't know they're meant to be ground feeders and hang at all angles from the feeders with as much agility as the blue tits.
Have a lovely day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 31st, 2018, 8:16 am

That was a delightfully cheery good morning from you Suffs! :D

I was woken up from an unpleasant dream by Basil (cat) plonking on top of me. He wanted feeding. It's still very dark for 8.13 here, and looks wet, but forecast to be brightening up later so I hope I can get out with my 'new' camera.
The birds are in full throttle singing wise right now :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 31st, 2018, 12:10 pm

Good noon
Been pouring with rain but drying out now, will go out soon
Forgot about the super moon last night, went out to the bins and there it was, just enough cloud to give it a faint halo, even in the city bright enough to outshine the lanps, gotgeous :D
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 1st, 2018, 11:13 am

good morning, all.
bright at the moment with the promise of rain.
i have an emergency dentist in an hour so i'd better get a move on.
it was down to 8°c when we arrived home and the stove, lit last night, has raised it to 12°c - not my working temperature by a long chalk! one of the cats seems to have decamped to a more accommodating home - i'm sure i can tempt him back - the other has just bought us in a welcome home present (after sleeping on top of my partner all night).
a walk on the beach is planned for tomorrow.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 1st, 2018, 11:35 am

Nice weather, not such a nice morning for me - husband thinks he is going to lose his job :( (Resisting the use of the word again, there.)

I hope you dentist appt. goes ok Scully. Sounds unpleasant.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 1st, 2018, 11:52 am

Herbi :hug: and scully :hug:
Good morning just
Sunny, will pop out soon
Just clearing up and dojng odd jobs so far, probably backgammon tonight
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 1st, 2018, 12:12 pm

Happy noontide all :D

Jobs eh? Who'd 'ave 'em? Nothing but a nuisance ... :rolleyes: :hug:

Good luck Scully ... hope it's not painful :D

Bright sunshine here but jolly nippy. Cake baking and other kitchen stuff going on here ... plus end of month household sums.

Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby smitch » February 1st, 2018, 12:14 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Nice weather, not such a nice morning for me - husband thinks he is going to lose his job :( (Resisting the use of the word again, there.)

Snap- my husband found out yesterday his office is closing later in the year so he'll be getting made redundant (again, second time in 5 years) :(
smitch
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 1st, 2018, 12:25 pm

Herbie & Smitch- :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope your respective husbands find alternative (and better) jobs.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 1st, 2018, 2:49 pm

Sorry about that smich :hug:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 1st, 2018, 9:41 pm

I don't deserve the :hug: now. Mine has had a reprieve in spite of losing 1,000,000 euros yesterday. He has the rest of the year to try and make it back again. I have been miserable all day though. As indeed has he. He found out he was ok early evening.

Smitch really sorry to hear about yours. It's so stressful. Mine has only been in his current job for 5 months. Before that he had 8 months without a job. And the older one gets, the harder it feels...
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop