good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2018, 10:11 am

Good morning all :D

Just popped in from the weeding to grab a :mug: and let the robin have uninterrupted access to the worms I've dug up :D

So much to do out there today :bounce:

Have a lovely day everyone 8-)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 18th, 2018, 4:44 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I would like to do this ...what site did you use for info Scully ?

i looked up quite a few, watched a quite a few youtube vids and bought a book (belt, braces and safety pins) to see if what i wanted was out there or not.
i then used an online soap calculator to work out the proportion of oils to get the right sort of soap i wanted and for the correct amount of lye to use (very important).
this is the calculator i used.
you put in are the oils you want to use and their weights and the calculator does the rest for you.
i used 600g of light olive oil and 200g of coconut oil (both from lidl) so you can input those for it to work it out for you or if you want i can email to you the printout of mine if you want to use that (and make it easy on yourself). it also works out the amount of fragrance oil to use, too.
i bought the sodium hydroxide (=lye = caustic soda) and some fragrance oils from a site called the soap kitchen - they were the best value when postage was taken into consideration but you may be able to find a place that sells them near you - i couldn't source the lye in a shop down here. (by the way, for liquid soap potassium hydroxide is used not sodium hydroxide - according to my book)
there are two methods for making it, cold processed and hot processed and there are countless videos on youtube for both processes including making it in a slow cooker. this is a good, easy to follow video for the cold process that i used.
i may have put the lye in when it was a bit warm or maybe didn't whizz it for long enough as it decided to emulate squirty foam and erupt out of the moulds i used but i knocked it back and it was fine.
the moulds i used were a couple of takeaway coffee cups and an empty, wiped-out, pringle tube - which was perfect for producing a sliceable cylinder of the right diameter for cakes of soap.
if you have a go make sure you take notice of the safety precautions - it's not called caustic soda for nothing.
hope this was a help.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 18th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Blimey day two of workmare. I did about 11 hours excluding breaks yesterday, I think and the same today, on top of 3am type insomnia, so a bit tired, and not seen a lot of the sun. Did see a bit though. Sat out for half an hour while cutting on hard copy.
27 degrees tomorrow! I can't work as long tomorrow as I have a class to go to at 6 and will have to go into town/work (which ironically means I get less work done) but will be starting early at home.
Phoo! (as they say in Mansfield Park)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 18th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Surely lye is a solution of potassium hydroxide? The solid isnt generally known as lye to chemists and pharmacists. Originally lye was made from wood ash (potash) and lime and water so heaven only knows what was in there along with the KOH.

Always add the alkali gradually to water, and never the other way around, and yes, allow it to cool before handling.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 18th, 2018, 11:02 pm

in the soap making world it's sodium hydroxide that's used for solid soap and is also called lye, it seems, whether it's in solid or solution form (but they also call potassium hydroxide lye when making liquid soap) - i'm not sure they're chemists!
yes, you have to make a solution of the NaOH with the correct amount of water before you add it into the oils (the soap calculator gives the amounts of water and NaOH needed to saponify the oils you have). the videos and websites are quite hot (sorry) explaining the whys and hows and all the safety precautions.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2018, 5:42 am

Looks like another lovely day out there. The pink sky is criss crossed with plane trails heading towards H'row.... I think another BBQ may be on the cards mid avo.

Enjoy the sun everyone. :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 19th, 2018, 7:10 am

Today's the hot one. I shall be stuck inside until this evening when I am supposed to be doing some nighttime photography in my class. 'll try and have half an hour outside for a bit. It's good for my back (skin.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 19th, 2018, 7:34 am

Good morning
Looked at the soap calculator, they seem to use lye simply as a synonym for alkali. Really annoying! :rolleyes:

We have the sun, but I won't be able to go out until the builders have been and gone, though I could take a coffee outside I suuppose. Went for a walk yesterday and the lily of th valley was in flower in the cemetery park, the cow parsley and the bluebells just coming out and the primroses still going strong. It might as well be spring :)

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 19th, 2018, 8:18 am

Birds chirruping merrily, sky unending blue and plants a-growing ... sounds a bit like 'Oh what a beautiful morning ... tra la la' ;)
OH has been informed that the grass needs cutting ... again ... :luv: I will sow seeds and cut back the shrubby salvias.
Not sure what's for supper but there's some tofu and noodles around ... I can probably find enough vegetables to turn that into something ... don't really want to go to the shops ... however I've just been informed that we're running low on milk and there's no cartons of steri left in the garage ... black coffee and tea it is then :lol:
Have a lovely day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2018, 9:19 am

good morning, all.
unfortunately we are unblessed with the sunshine and heat predicted for upcountry. at the moment we have a mistiness that's meant to last until the last couple of hours of daylight - when the sun may peep through.
low tide is at about half two so a walk has been timetabled. the level of the sand may not make it possible to get all the way round to chapel but who knows, the sand can change from one day to the next. the sea dictates and we have to go with the flow, so to speak.
i have remembered that i have some long beans to sow. apart from producing beans a couple of feet long they have rather large, pretty, pale, coral/yellow flowers. i know it's getting a little late but then most things are so i'm living in hope of an extended summer.
have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2018, 7:56 am

Good mor ing
Sun again :)
Will be out most of today
My tulips have come out over night. They are beautiful but they are ivory :? Everything in those tubs was supposed to be the same colours as the wallflowers, so rich yellows and reds, the tulips were meant to be a dark ruby as far as I remember
Have a good day everybody
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm

StokeySue wrote:My tulips have come out over night. They are beautiful but they are ivory Everything in those tubs was supposed to be the same colours as the wallflowers, so rich yellows and reds, the tulips were meant to be a dark ruby as far as I rememberHave a good day everybody

Most of my tulips are almost over now ... however I did have some dark ones, I could do a swap with you .... I am now waiting for my aliums ... plenty of leaves, and a few buds about to explode. My first year with the large ones :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 21st, 2018, 9:38 am

good morning, all.
cloudless at the moment but we are meant to have a few clouds soon (but not overcast) and it's a little breezy.
it was cloudless all day down on the south coast and about 20°c (well, for the time i was down there) but slightly more hazy up here and cooler.
i came home with a big bag of spinach and beetroot tops and a nice courgette plant ready to go in - we only sowed them a couple of weeks ago, it seems.
we also planted out climbing french beans, mangetout peas and sweet peas, and sowed carrots, parsnips, beetroot, radishes, pot marigolds, californian poppies and ordinary peas. mice had eaten the broad beans - little burgers.
the stuff i sowed at home last week, in home made paper pots (origami type, not the cylindrical ones) is coming on well. i have a few long beans that i forgot to do so they'll get done later.
i have a tiny patch of garden (3m x 2m - going down to 1m, so wedge shaped) which is north facing but bright with a little bit of late sun on the narrow end of the wedge. at the moment it's covered with a weed barrier and stones, which i aim to remove (it's vile and barren). i'm having dilemmas about what to plant. i'm swinging between something like the planting at the minack (we have a load of 'ugly' rocks available- the large lumps of rock from the base of a cornish hedge), herbs and fruit bushed although the latter may like more sun (and it's where people may be tempted to pick). it's quite a dry area as the weather usually comes at us from the southwest. any suggestions?
my coffee's going cold.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 21st, 2018, 10:23 am

After a cool dull start it's brightening up and warming up and the doors are open and I've been out there sowing radishes. :D

Scully, my Yellow Hinnonmaki gooseberries produce well in a spot that is shady for a lot of the day and they are a gorgeous dessert gooseberry ... I think the really vicious thorns would deter all but the most determined casual thief (thought, can one be determined and casual ?)

OH is cooking today, so I'm heading back out there when I've had my :mug:

Have a lovely day folks :D

Edited to add: I've just had an email about this ... really interesting idea https://www.norwich.gov.uk/news/article ... heartsease
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 21st, 2018, 10:54 am

yes, they are on my radar, i have a few bushes in need of a home at the moment. i was also considering red and white currants as i have some of those to plant and they're less likely to be scrumped than blackcurrants.
i would like some all year round colour/green but the area isn't big enough for things like bay (i do have a rosemary bush that could go in the sunnier bit and i was thinking of rainbow chard and the sort of edibles that people might not think were - if you see what i mean!
szechuan pepper is on my radar, too.
i'm going to plant out some of my chilli peppers - and anyone can help themselves to those - they always produce more than enough.

my possible list so far:
red/white currants,
gooseberries
globe artichokes
rhubarb
chillies
rainbow chard
beetroot
rosemary,
chives
sage.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 22nd, 2018, 5:53 am

My chilli plant from last year had been living in our sun lounge all winter, it was sent back to the GH yesterday so hopefully it will bud up and start producing flowers again. The lady we bought it from said it should over winter well.

Wow! what a storm that was !!! We sat having our dinner and watched the lightening and listened to the thunder while the staff were rushing around collecting trays of glasses from outside just before it tipped down. I drove home through lightning and then lay in bed trying to placate the cats because of more thunder. I could hear the rain hammering down and this morning, everything is freshly washed. Paving is dry and the warmth is still there. Looks like it will be another sunny warm day. :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » April 22nd, 2018, 8:53 am

good morning, all.
overcast and a bit damp.
you must have had the rain and lightening we were predicted, yesterday, but didn't get.
i have a rocotto type chilli plant on the kitchen windowsill that's coming back into leaf. people think they're annuals but i heard on gardeners question time, a few of years ago, of a man who had a plant that was fifteen years old (people think that runner/climbing french beans are annuals, too, but they're not). mine are a whole range that i've grown from seed, some of which have lovely variegated leaves and purple pods when immature that were grown from seed set from a free, 'chuck-out' plant from the chilli growers in south devon - they are the one's i would put in the above patch of garden.
yesterday was spent clearing the raised beds that i was unable to tend last year and planting one up with lettuce. i've dug up some of the sage from one, potted it up and chopped it back - maybe some of the 'cuttings' will take. i spent a while pulling up brambles, too. we have a garden that tries to revert to being a field every year and it didn't get done last year.
if today dries up a bit i may go and check how much i'll have to do in the veg patches. a daunting amount, i think.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 22nd, 2018, 9:12 am

Good morning
It has rained while I was asleep but I didn't hear any storm - mind you I am notoriously hard to wake :D
Now warm and sunny, just as the marathon on TV though a little hazy cloud in the distance
Will have a pottering day with plants and bits and pieces as my legs are still tired from Friday and a resonable (4.5 km) walk yesterday
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 22nd, 2018, 10:15 am

StokeySue wrote:Good morning. It has rained while I was asleep but I didn't hear any storm - mind you I am notoriously hard to wake Now warm and sunny, just as the marathon on TV though a little hazy cloud in the distance. Will have a pottering day with plants and bits and pieces as my legs are still tired from Friday. Have a good day everyone

More or less the same here word for word ;) However, now that I am hard of hearing, I don't get woken up by noise any more, but that doesn't stop me having a bad night ! :( Over the last few days I have woken at 4 am :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 23rd, 2018, 9:36 am

good morning, all.
overcast but with a hint of sun. 'they' say we are going to have increasingly dull but lets wait and see.
nothing planned for today, so maybe some of those jobs that get put off will be looked at - and be put off a little longer.
i need coffee. i'll have to go and get it myself as my partner is not in a position to supply.
the jackdaws on the roof are more stupid than we thought. i noticed, yesterday, that they are still trying to build their nest in the (blocked) chimney. unfortunately, maybe due to the breeze the other day or because of raiders, the collection of twigs amassed for their nest was scattered down the roof. the stupidity showed in the fact that they were still collecting sticks from elsewhere rather than gathering up the ones below them. survival of the fittest in action.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2018, 10:16 am

Good morning
We have the same weather here, with intermittent breeze
Been out and tidied up the terrace, splitting the mint between two pots, my cunning plan is to have one pot growing away while I use the other, and every so often I will trim back the pot in use and swap them over, otherwise mint in fairly small pots becomes unusably grotty quite early in the season. If it doesn't work, the mint plants are less than £1 at the supermarket

I don't have much planned so will also be doing little jobs. Might do a bit of wardrobe decluttering, think I've finally decided what my non-work style looks like

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 24th, 2018, 6:39 am

Good morning.

A little cooler and rather dull here this morning. Rain is forecast. I was woken up rather earlier than I would have liked to have been by a petulant Basil! Setting my alarm clock for 8am to give myself a little lie in (which would either make me late for work or give me just 20 minutes to get ready, see to the cats and get out of the house) seems to make me get up earlier than usual even without Basil. It's nice to have some sitting time though.

School today. Apart from that I will be sorting out Polar Exploration and possibly Treasure Island. Slight reprieve from Austen, fingers crossed until I get back from Amsterdam. But probably not.

I hoep every one has a lovely day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 8:23 am

Good morning
Back to April, not cold but overcast and not very warm with a bit of breeze
April showers are forecast

Annoyingly I was watching my email like a hawk yesterday as the Early bird tickets for Stokey Lit Fest were released. had a few problems last year as I couldn't read the ticketing site. Sure enough the mail was sent at 17.01 and at 19.01, using my desktop PC I clicked trough to the priority booking page. "Sale ended" - I was really surprised so as a sanity check I tweeted LitFest to inform or congratulate - of course they aren't sold out, dodgy link. This time it is certainly them not me, they have new ticketing software!

Also think my espresso machine has died, it works when it feels like it. This morning it didn't so used my cafetiere. This could be expensive

Out to play league backgammon this afternoon so that should be fun
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 24th, 2018, 8:40 am

Well I spoke to soon. I am going to have to work (on Austen) and through my lunch/school hour.

Any stand out things at the LitFest, Sue?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 8:51 am

Our full line-up will be announced soon, but with guests including John O'Farrell, Olivia Laing, Rachel Roddy, Adam Kay, Meg Wolitzer, Sir Christopher Frayling, The Secret Barrister, MC Angel, Roger Robinson, Nick Makoha, Momtaza Mehri, Salena Godden, Niki Segnit, Nikesh Shukla, Dave Haslam, Thurston Moore, Michael Goldfarb, Luke Harding, Anna Hart, Andy Miller, Claire Armitstead, Justin Myers (aka The Guyliner), Aaron Gilles (Twitter's Technically Ron), Kerstin Rodgers, the return of the fabulous Nerd Nite, the announcement of this year's Hackney Shorts film prize, late night ghost stories by Killer Women in Abney Park cemetery, events about Mary Wollstonecraft, Frankenstein, Joseph Conrad, The Skank Collective, anxiety, The Establishment, Trans Britain, Brexit woes, cooking for your dog (yes, really) and other stuff on beer, music, situationism, spoken word, a bloke whose cat was allegedly the inspiration for Danny the Dealer from Withnail and I, we're confident that your brain will get a good workout and you'll feel inspired, enlightened and delighted you grabbed such an amazing bargain.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 24th, 2018, 9:50 am

good morning, all.
damp and overcast with rain later.
i'd missed that we had a meeting yesterday evening. an update of the cornwall red squirrel project. it was very interesting. they think that the lizard is about clear of greys and could have reds re-introduced (in enclosures - like at escott) in the next year or two.
they are considering alternative, long term, ways to decrease the population of greys in the rest of the peninsula - including 'the pill'. they know it works for other animals - male pigs not used for stud are given it to make the meat taste better - but i think the funding for the research has run out.
they think that if none of the work to remove greys/ retain reds was done then the red squirrel would be gone from mainland uk (and anglesey) within twenty years - and that the country will lose much of its ancient broadleaf forests as the greys, ring bark, eat saplings and take the sap (they also eat birds eggs and are responsible for a decrease in bird populations).
one of the national trust places down here planted four hundred acres of trees - to have them all eaten/killed by grey squirrels, and the ranger at tehidy country park said that they hadn't realised until the gales came recently that they had ring barked the upper canopy of many of the trees which were taken out by the wind.
cornwall is the next best defendable place for trying to clear the greys after remote islands and anglesey due to being a peninsula. at menai they have been seen swimming the strait, so they are determined little burgers (they also use the maintenance bridge below the rail bridge over to the island as a highway).
the last red squirrels only disappeared from cornwall in the mid eighties so they know that it isn't a lost cause and they have a huge support from landowners in the penwith area - something like eighty two percent (it's not a hundred percent as not all the landowners have been asked - some areas are unnecessary to 'police' and too bleak to support greys!)
wouldn't it be good if there was a national policy for trapping and 'removing' that problem - if everyone was issued with a trap and defra had local centres for dealing with the captured - either as meat for humans or animal feed.
if any national trust owners would care to get in touch with the manager at the penrose estate, near helston, pointing out their support for the grey eradication it would be helpful as they are a key area at the top of the lizard, and although the manager supports the project he's being wary of letting them trap on the estate thinking that the visitors would be put off - not that they'd be walking in the areas where traps would be sited, i'm sure.
let's be controversial - maybe wild grey squirrel fur coats could be fashionable? not frowned on?
maybe modern day cinderellas should have grey slippers!

StokeySue wrote:Also think my espresso machine has died, it works when it feels like it.

not just a need for de-scaling - with citric acid?

we are off to a talk about growing palms and olives, down in marazion, this evening.
i can hear the hiss of exhausted milk frother - coffee is on its way - hooray!
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 10:05 am

scullion wrote:not just a need for de-scaling - with citric acid?

Done regularly, and the spray head taken out and the sludge removed from behind it, And a new filter basket purchased and used. And the coffee ground slightly more coarsely as over fine coffee can increase the back pressure

Say what you like about me - I'm thorough! In fact one of the joys of retirement is having the time to be a bit of a perfectionist, not having to skimp little jobs

I will do the spray head again, but it was last done about 2 weeks ago
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 24th, 2018, 10:15 am

i don't know about other models but i know the gaggia that i have sometimes needs to be back pressured to clear the solenoid. i sent for a blanking plate to put in the portafil 'basket' after hunting online for a solution when mine started not working consistently. many machines can't do this, though - i know my brother's delonghi couldn't.
i haven't had to do it since the first time as i make sure i flush it through after every time i use it. my partner doesn't tend to so it does slow up every-so-often and then i give it a long, repeated, flush.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 10:19 am

Mine's a DeLonghi - cheap and basic, but to be fair it was a freebie with vouchers from work. There are reviews on Amazon suggesting it's a common problem

I am thinking of upgrading to Gaggia or Jura (I fancy the Heston, but would need a lottery win)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 24th, 2018, 10:28 am

by the way, did i say that i'd bought a set of three stainless steel filters for the aeropress? they are really good (well, i've only used the fine mesh one) and give a better flavoured coffee than the paper ones did. i'm well pleased and often use that for a coffee in the afternoon - if i don't want to bother milk frothing etc and if the kettle has been boiled for his tea.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 24th, 2018, 10:28 am

I like very simple technology ... I use a Bodum press :mug: ;)

Drizzling this morning, and a bit chilly ... but cheering to see that Hefty's progeny are visiting regularly again :D A load of perfectly good but inexplicably too small pairs of jeans (purchased just after I'd lost 8 stones) have been collected by the charity bag collection van. :rolleyes: and OH is heading into the city as he needs scalpel blades and tracing paper and suchlike ... he will visit the market and bring some green veg and interesting cheese back with him. Everything that has to be done here has been done ... it's too chilly out there to prick out the seedlings and they'll be ok where they are for a few more days, so knitting will be done here.

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 10:33 am

scullion wrote:by the way, did i say that i'd bought a set of three stainless steel filters for the aeropress? they are really good (well, i've only used the fine mesh one) and give a better flavoured coffee than the paper ones did. i'm well pleased and often use that for a coffee in the afternoon - if i don't want to bother milk frothing etc and if the kettle has been boiled for his tea.

I bought a stainless steel filter when I got mine as I thought it would be good to take to holiday lets, anything made of paper can get messed up in transit, or can run out at the wrong moment,
I find it works well, but it just isn't espresso; in fact I'm quite surprised how different the same coffee tastes espresso'd vs aero'd

Paper is easoer too dispose of
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 24th, 2018, 10:33 am

i came home with two crown prince squash seedlings (cost a quid towards group funds), last night, just in case the marina de chioggia ones i've sown don't germinate - i must go and check them today.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 25th, 2018, 7:05 am

Morning. Lovely and sunny at the moment after a stormy night.

Not looking forward to another Austen fest today. Not sure how I can meet the deadline before Amsterdam. (Or rather fairly sure that I can't.) Was working from home last night and lost the connection and couldn't get it back.

Determined not to work late tonight. I need to pack and have mental breathing space.

I hoep everyone has a good day.

p.s. I love the look of espresso machines and we did once have one, but it took up so much space (it was one that frothed milk too... or would have if we had got to grips with it) and only got used at the weekend to it was left behind when we moved. This was a good 16 years ago though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » April 25th, 2018, 7:11 am

Good morning, all.
Rain is due today but it hasn't started yet.
The 'talk' we went to last night was as bad as the squirrel one was good. The woman handed out a catalogue and put up a PowerPoint of the same then just scrolled (or rather flicked) it up and down in a really annoying way reading out bits. My partner pointed out that most of the people in the room probably knew more than she did. She looked and sounded like she'd had a hard life - or was feeding a drug habit. We both left our brochures there.
I had thought that the days of ink stains on the duvet covers were gone - I have demanded that he finds a solvent that works - he says he'll replace the cover. I bet it's on the duvet, too. I am cross and he knows it!
Better move, I'm at the farm in an hour or so and the coffee won't make itself.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 25th, 2018, 9:05 am

Good morning
Came in last night in what felt like a gale, the wind was so strong I took the gardenia off the table to avoid damage
Are you going to see Wolf Hall at the Minack Scully? It's Tower Theatre Company, whom I have known for years but they are in the process of moving in as my new neighbours, they have a building that has been Methodist Chapel, synagogue and women's gym club over tge years. I might see it at Bridewell, they are rebuilding at the moment. I should join to get the advance booking etc.
Better get dressed and tidy the kitchen before the boiler is serviced
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 25th, 2018, 9:51 am

scullion wrote: maybe wild grey squirrel fur coats could be fashionable? not frowned on?
maybe modern day cinderellas should have grey slippers!

They could sell them in NT shops :tu:

Paperwork and phone calls done ... off to tennis in a bit.

Blustery but bright ... so far ...

Have a good day folks!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 25th, 2018, 3:52 pm

StokeySue wrote:Are you going to see Wolf Hall at the Minack Scully?

yup.
all the tickets arrived today.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 26th, 2018, 7:20 am

Good morning. And a lovely one!
I am off to Amsterdam this evening. Usual pre-holiday jitters. Will I ever grow out of this?
The weather looks not great (for photography) alas. A friend who lives just outside Amsterdam says it always rains on King's Day (tomorrow.) OH will be joining me tomorrow evening if all goes according to plan. We've been offered a car and driver for Saturday by one of his (rich) friends. Not sure if we are taking him up on it.
If it's rammed in Amsterdam tomorrow, I may go out of it! Or, if I can find a gallery or museum that appeals and is open, spend some time there.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 26th, 2018, 7:41 am

Sounds lovely Herbie. How is your OH now?

Re grey squirrels. I seem to remember a chef possibly in the Gloucestershire area in recent times who was trying to encouage people to eat them but it didn't seem to take off well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 26th, 2018, 7:48 am

He seems much better., thanks. H was given two lots of extra strong antibiotics, and h was almost back to normal (and cheerful, for a change! That didn't last though ;) He needs to get another job, I guess.) He was wheezing a bit last weekend. It's possible though that this is now asthma/hayfever. It's such a relief he responded to treatment. I was worried that it was an an going chronic and incurable something.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 7:58 am

earthmaiden wrote:Re grey squirrels. I seem to remember a chef possibly in the Gloucestershire area in recent times who was trying to encouage people to eat them but it didn't seem to take off well.

I think that was Mike Robinson wasn't it ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 26th, 2018, 8:07 am

Good morning
Off for a traipse round the wetlands soon, monthly walking group
Good to hear about your OH Herbi.
Never left home yesterday (rain, gas man, deliveries) but spent money buying my Lit Fest ticket and joining Tower Theatre (that might be worth it for the bar, given it's 7 doors down)
There was a big camaign to shoot and eat grey squirrels in, I think, Northumberland

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 26th, 2018, 8:12 am

So glad things have improved Herbi. I could tell how worried about him you were. Hope he finds a less stressful job soon. :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 26th, 2018, 10:12 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i will be out in a garden, soon and my partner will be cooking dinner, with the sun, for tonight.
good news about your husband. my daughter's wellbeing has improved amazingly since changing careers - she doesn't regret the move at all.

when we cleared my partner's father's house we found a couple of live traps and a record book with numbers of grey squirrels against dates. it seemed he was waging a one man war against them in twickenham! i wonder how long it would take if we all did that‽‽‽ i would love to see red squirrels again in normal conditions rather than having to make a journey to see them in relative 'captivity'.
my lack of endearment to greys wasn't helped by being attacked by one when i was walking to school, in the early seventies. feeding reds by hand when they were still endemic in north norfolk when i was the same age was, in contrast, a complete delight. it's also not helped by the fact that a grey squirrel gets to our chestnuts before they are ripe and drops them to the ground while still in their green spikey jackets.
if i ate meat i would have no problem eating greys. they are an introduced species in the same way that rabbits are (although it's not illegal to release those). i wonder why people are so squeamish about eating them?
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 26th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Good afternoon all :D

Back from a trip to Suffolk ... returned armed with asparagus for supper :hungry:

Scully ....
scullion wrote: If i ate meat i would have no problem eating greys.
.... I'll eat your share for you :tu:

Hope you're all having a lovely day :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 26th, 2018, 3:45 pm

People are squeamish about anything cute, and I don't think the less eco / nature conscious appreciate the real differences between greys and reds, they are just cute accessories to the park!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 26th, 2018, 3:47 pm

I don't do 'cute' ... I'd be more than happy if that word were expunged from the English language :evil:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 4:52 pm

I was talking to a friend yesterday .. I had taken Ostrich steaks to her house for our lunch. She said she didn't think she could eat Kangaroo as they are so cute. I asked if she ate lamb as they are cute too - same goes for rabbit. ;) :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 26th, 2018, 8:14 pm

I thought that people disliked the thought of eating squirrel because they are sometimes considered to be vermin - like rats. I thought that they ate a veggie diet and lived quite cleanly though so should be ok surely? I am horrified that over the past few years people have started feeding the squirrels in our local park and now they come running right up to you expecting food and small children are being encouraged by parents and minders to feed them. My father was once bitten by a squirrel, I wouldn't let a small child too near one.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop