good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby Pepper Pig » April 26th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Me neither. Rats with nicer tails.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » April 27th, 2018, 5:48 am

Good morning, all.
Raining. Wet cat.
It dried up quickly yesterday and I spent the afternoon sieving stones from soil. I want a mechanical siever/riddling machine.
Off to the south in a couple of hours. I think we may be spending most of the time indoors rather than in the garden. That will be followed by shopping and home - and better weather, hopfully.
Have a good day, everyone.

Ps. I think mr mcgregor would class rabbits as vermine, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 27th, 2018, 6:44 am

Yesterday evening we watched a male blackbird heckling a beautiful jay, he made the jay leave our garden. Then two muncjak deers wandered across the end of the drive....... It's like being in the Serengetti !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 27th, 2018, 8:24 am

Good morning
Yesterday we had proper April showers, periods if broght sun, cloud, strong winds, and short showers, rain overnight, now grey and threatening more cdeluge.
So a tidying up day today, mainly indoors
Have a good day today
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 27th, 2018, 9:45 am

Good morning all :D

Cool and drizzly :rolleyes: Farming Bro informs me that they've had warning of heavy rainstorms Sunday/Monday for the south east of England :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I must prick out the rest of the seedlings today while I wait in for Am**on to deliver the new satnav ...

OH will go to the shops for some necessities (tea bags, milk, veg) and I will immerse some pork in one of Levi Roots' concoctions

Have a good day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 28th, 2018, 8:54 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment. yesterdays rain cleared up and the sun came out enough for taking rosemary and sage cuttings, the planting of squash plants, swiss chard and spinach seedlings and beetroot sowing - the soil was amazingly warm.
i came home with some of each of the veg to plant at home and also some kea plum plants and a tayberry.
a job for today is to put the kea plums in pots before deciding where to put them and another is to have a go through the freezer and get rid of a load of unidentifiable stuff thats been lurking at the back of baskets for an unknown amount of time (more than a year or three) and which is blocking the space better used for ice-cream.
talking of ice-cream, tescos had an offer on häagen dazs lollies when i popped in, briefly, yesterday (for something else). so i bought a box of the salted caramel ones and a box of the raspberry and mango. i had one of the latter on the way home. i can't say that either raspberry or mango was identifiable over generic fruit and the level of sweetness. i don't think i'll be bothering with those again. maybe today i'll try one of the salted caramel ones to see if they are any better than tescos own brand ones (deemed the nicest of the type surveyed by my son and his partner).
qually today. the dilemma is to watch it before my partner gets home so i don't have to avoid the radio or to wait for him and have to rush to turn off whenever the news comes on. such a first world problem!
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 29th, 2018, 9:33 am

good morning, all.
sunny with the odd cloud. 'they've' amended the prediction of a bit of rain for today.
after the f1 i may go and do some soil sifting, a bit of hoeing and removal of some awful stone chippings with a non functioning weed barrier. i'm thinking i'll do it a bit at a time, rolling it up like a carpet to avoid the attentions of needy cats.
english is such an inconsistent language - why is the rule 'take of the e and add ing' ok until you get to words like hoeing - why not hoing?
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 29th, 2018, 10:04 am

Good morning
No sun here, grey and not warm
Need to clear up a bit and get on
Have a good daay everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 29th, 2018, 10:47 am

Grey and damp here but not actually raining. Stuff to do in the garden but it's too chilly. Brrrr :rolleyes:

Hope the soil sifting goes well Scully. :D

Have a good day folks!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 30th, 2018, 7:04 am

Good morning, all.
Cloudless sunny at the moment.
It stayed sunny yesterday but I didn't get any of the outdoor things done. By the time the f1 had finished and I'd finished making a load more paper pots, for potting up the baby currant tomatoes, there wasn't enough time to give long enough attention to it so those are the jobs for today.
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 30th, 2018, 7:09 am

You're not the only one doing yesterday's jobs today ... life and technology got in the way ... so I s'pose I'd better get out of bed and get on with stuff ...
Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 30th, 2018, 7:27 am

Morning all. It's really cold here. I've been up for quite some time - dog duties all done. A friend of mine is coming to finish sorting out my kitchen for me this morning - she started on Valentine's day, so I'd better be ready and waiting. I hope she puts things where I can find them this time.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 30th, 2018, 9:18 am

Good morning
Surprisingly bright considering it has been raining for some timd and the forecast is for a lot more
I too need to get on with some jobs not completed yesterday, and looks like indoor jobs will be favourite
Think I'll probably go to the meeting tonight of all the mayoral candidates. I don't often do that kind of thing these days but it is just around the corner and there will be people I know there
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2018, 11:43 am

What sounded like torrential rain here all night - but I was sleeping in the eaves. It may have sounded worse than it was.

Still raining hard and relentlessly today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 30th, 2018, 11:43 am

What sounded like torrential rain here all night - but I was sleeping in the eaves. It may have sounded worse than it was.

Still raining hard and relentlessly today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 1st, 2018, 7:07 am

Good morning. Bright and sunny here but a bit cold.

I am very glad to be home, but back into the fray at work today. It's a school day. I am determined to go as not been yet this term due to work. I hope the (work) pressure eases soon :shock: .
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 1st, 2018, 7:52 am

Good morning, all.
Sunnyish at the moment by a bit of rain expected later - or not.
It was sunny for most of yesterday. The South east-centric weather forecast on the today programme said that the country would have rain.
A strip of that small patch of garden has been weeded, dug, some of the sifted soil added and planted up with marjoram, sage, rosemary, two types of mint (in pots to stop spread), chives and a row of alternating ruby chard and spinach.
A cha cha squash, a few sugar snap pea plants and some tomato plants were planted out. The bags of potatoes were earthed up again, and some more soil sifted.
Oh, and some washing was put out on the line, too.
Today it's blood donors and a check on the planting to see if local cats have had a dig, then maybe some more sieving.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 1st, 2018, 8:32 am

scullion wrote:The South east-centric weather forecast on the today programme said that the country would have rain.

The reason you heard all about that is because we had sooooooooooooooo much rain that there was a danger it would all run downhill to the south-west and drown all of Devon and Cornwall :shock: It was horrendous... also it didn't get above 5 C all day :rolleyes:
Today we have blue skies and sunshine :luv: :luv: :luv:
Now I must finish my :mug: grab my purse and catch the bus ... got a dentist appointment ...
Have a lovely day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 1st, 2018, 8:48 am

Good morning
We have sunshine :)
Going to get out in it before it skedaddles
We got about half the rain they had further eadt yesterday, quite enough thank you, was surprisingly cold though, I went to the mayoral hustings last night and we were all well wrapped up to sit in an unheated hall
Have a good day, don't forget the spf
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 1st, 2018, 5:27 pm

scullion wrote:The South east-centric weather forecast on the today programme said that the country would have rain.

Because that is where the weather came from. Last week it centred on the snow and rain hitting Scotland and the northeast. A week or two before it was the Atlantic storms hitting the southwest first, before that it was the blizzards from the east, I met it by Exeter.

Weather usually comes from the west and the west gets a lot of mention. This year a lot has come from the east.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 1st, 2018, 6:17 pm

We have had a reasonably warm and breezy day, but we did start off with a substantial frost which made us put the heating on because we were due to have visitors but they cancelled.

Fire lit now, seems we should find things warming up for the w/e
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » May 2nd, 2018, 7:04 am

Good morning, all.
Rain at the moment but we're promised a clear and sunny afternoon.
Off to the farm in an hour where glazing is likely to be done. We have three or four kiln loads to do including a small herd of pigs (well, it is a farm).
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 2nd, 2018, 7:59 am

We have rain forecast all day. It feels quite cold to me too. 13 degrees tops. OH has been having temps in the 20s in Karlsruhe although not today. 29 there on Sunday. But he will be here :) (I didn’t think he would be.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 2nd, 2018, 8:36 am

Good morning
Back to cold and wet here so I'll just get on with doing stuff
Plenty to do, none of it exciting
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 3rd, 2018, 9:06 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny at the moment but due to cloud over later.
Today, I mIght start removing the chippings, rolling back the weed barrier and applying some sifted soil. A load of organic matter wouldn't go amiss either - a trip to splattenridden may take care of that. Then I will have to think of a coup!e of interesting, preferably evergreen, edible, smallish shrubby things to go in.
Then it will be back to the sifting as the big truggs will be empty again.
I have seven little globe artichokes to pot on - I thought I'd only planted (had) four seeds, I must have misremembered. one or two of those will go in the aforementioned plot along with some dill or fennel (not both!) - I may also scatter some sweet williams they may not be edible but they do smell nice.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 3rd, 2018, 10:49 am

Good morning
We currently have rather wan sunshine from a dull start, keeps coming and going
Need to run a few errands and do some paperwork, but out with the girls tonight to Andi Oliver's
So not much lunch

Good luck with alk the garden projects, mine are on hold for a little longer whike my plants get bigger and my spring bedding finushes
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 4th, 2018, 6:56 am

Same weather in South London as north, by the sound of it. I am hoping to have a not frenetic day today at work. The pressure should be off a little if only for today, but I still have a lot to do.
I am having lunch at the Modern Pantry with a friend :) And I am leaving at 4 if I can.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 4th, 2018, 7:08 am

happy star wars day, everyone.
overcast with maybe the hope of a little sun shortly before nightfall.
off to the south in an hour so i'd better get a move on.
half of the little plot was de-stoned yesterday - 6 large truggs of stones taken through to backfill a hedge and the compacted clay and stones underneath broken up with a fork (and some worms added from the pile i am sifting). i now need to go and find some large sheets of cardboard and get a lot of compost to start getting the soil back into some sort of condition to grow stuff. the other half will be cleared etc next week. another trugg load was sifted from the pile.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 4th, 2018, 10:06 am

Happy Star Wars day!
We have sun currently, and the forecast is for clouds with headlights all day
I need to walk downto Islington for the exercise and to visit the good lighting shop. But I might chang my mind and go to Homebase, also a good walk and last year they had good cheap terracotta pots
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 4th, 2018, 11:45 am

And May the 4th be with you all too :lol:

I'm out in the garden potting on the blueberries and courgettes and getting ready for the runner beans ...

Have a lovely day folks ... 21.4 C in the shade last time I looked ... 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 4th, 2018, 11:59 am

Will have to go elsewhere for my walk just discovered that the lighting shop doesn't do security lights, and Homebase has a terrible choice, so spent ages Googling to find the right thing that can be delivered tomorrow or Tuesday. Would prefer to use a shop, but not wasting £60+- on things (not just the light) that aren't fit for purpose

Where to go? That's the question
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 5th, 2018, 9:39 am

good morning, all.
the mist is clearing/cleared and the sun is out. i will making up some bread dough for my partner to cook, in the garden, when he gets back from town, later.
watching hignfy last night we giggled at the 'power pose' taken by prominent conservatives which they had been told to take by some or other consultant.
it's supposed to increase testosterone and decrease cortisol just by adopting the pose, making the 'poser' more powerful and confident. so, surely this is a bit of a psychological effect rather than a hormonal one. if you are told how posing is going to effect you then your belief will cause the change not the other way round. i may be wrong.
my partner has just done 'the pose' in his boxers and socks. the result was mirth rather than majesty.
i wonder if the honourable members realised that that's just what they looked like!
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 5th, 2018, 10:34 am

It's glorious out there ... I've got my biggest floppiest hat on and we've been 'doing stuff' for ages ... more wires on the fence for the Clematis montana grandiflora (afraid the acanthus got trampled but it'll survive) ... we've put up the teepee for the runner beans ... I'll sow them direct just before heading southwest on the 16th/17th
I've put up more things for the golden hop to climb on, and now I'll start planting some euphorbias and a persicaria in the sunny corner ... then there'll be grass to mow, edges to trim and discussions to have re enlarging the pond in the autumn ... it's World Naked Gardening Day!
Enjoy yourselves everyone 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 5th, 2018, 1:57 pm

suffolk wrote:it's World Naked Gardening Day!

Not on a roof terrace clearly visible to all on the top of any passing double decker bus it isn't!
Been out and lurked in the park, should be getting on with stuff, but it's just not the weather for it :(
Still quite nippy in the shade though, took my lunch outside then came back in to finish it
I do have my shorts on (went out in jeans)
I think that power pose makes them look as if thecare expecting to be pegged out by the shoulders.....
Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 6th, 2018, 7:13 am

Morning! Today promises to by nice again. I have been up since 7 which is a bit wrong for a Sunday :) Washing load no. 1 has just finished to be out out on the line before the possible scurge of barbecues happens (although I suspect a lot of people have gone away this weekend. Fingers crossed.) I have been writing for the last half an hour. I plan to do some gardening. I have some challenging photography homework to do from my course, but I suppose there's Monday too.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 6th, 2018, 8:49 am

good morning, all.
sunny - at the moment and predicted so all day.
bread dough will be started off this morning for solar baking this afternoon.
i am off to a meeting, then to a friend's for a catchup, followed by a touch of watering then home to see what my partner has cooked us for dinner (again, by the sun).
have an amazing day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » May 7th, 2018, 9:38 am

good morning, all.
a bit misty/overcast at the moment but the sun keeps trying to poke through - we aren't predicted clear blue skies today. for the last two days the mist has rolled in later in the afternoon.
yesterday's bread was brilliant, good crumb and nice and crusty - we now have more bread than we would eat in a week as i had already bought a couple of smallish loaves when i went shopping on friday. dinner was also cooked and both without the use of hob or oven. the only kitchen appliances used, yesterday, were the kettle, dishwasher and washing machine.
i will head off to remove the rest of the stones in a while followed by more sieving. i may also uncover a little of my legs - it will be a good look with boots. thankfully for the rest of the passing population it isn't naked gardening week.
have a glorious day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 7th, 2018, 10:04 am

Good morning
Sunny here,really should get out! Need to feed and water some pot plants but I feel very lazy
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 8th, 2018, 5:57 am

Ha I woke up this morning at 5.15 and thought great - another couple of hours. I then woke up at at 7.10 and really felt I needed another hour. Dragged myself out of bed at twenty past. Showered etc. fed the cats, sauntered down the garden to inspect yesterday's labours, and now open my computer to discover that it's 6.54!

Anyway it looks lovely out. Another hot one today. School at lunch time. I imagine child no.2 will be especially peeved about being dragged out of his lunch hour (he's 6 and likes running about kind of play.)
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 8th, 2018, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2018, 8:20 am

Goodmorning
My bedroom is deliberately very dark so though heat sometimes wakes me, sunshine doesn't

I will walk to Tottenham, I need to buy a new spray gun for the hose I tried to use it yesterday and it was cracked, shouldn't have left it out during the big freeze, need to replace it and look at a few other things in the area
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2018, 9:22 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment but it isn't predicted to be totally sunny until eight this evening.
yesterday saw the removal of most of the stones down to the weed barrier. i've left a few at the edges that will go when the barrier is removed and the cardboard, compost and soil go down. another two big truggs of soil were sifted so in total about six barrowloads of stones went into the backfill.
after watering everything and earthing up the bags of spuds again. i dropped round to my son's for a chat and a coffee.
today, i'm accompanying a friend on her first visit to the diabetic clinic - i know she is going to get told off, her diet is abysmal - on the plus side she doesn't smoke or drink.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 8th, 2018, 9:48 am

I was woken at some time between 4 and 5 by a very loud dawn chorus .... having wandered around the garden, drunk coffee, done some reading, loaded the washing machine and got the suitcases out of the cupboard (did I mention we're going to Cornwall next week????
............. just had a very long phone chat with one of the friends we stay with in Devon on our way down to St Ives 8-)
Now I must do some kitchen stuff ...

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 8th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Funny start to the day...... Sunny start at 6am by 8.30am we had sea fog rolling across the garden, lost sight of the church and then it took until 12 to brighten up again...... Courgettes and kabocha squash now planted outside. Mr. Z. has planted a couple of dozen foxgloves along the leyllandi hedge rather than chuck them. Suff, have sent you an e-mail....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Walked to Tottenham along the rivet, lovely
Bought pots and plants, forvot the spray gun I actually went for :oops:
With luck a more local store will have them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 8th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Sounds like I wasn't the only one who was up early then!

I just discovered an ant invasion in my sitting room :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 9th, 2018, 6:31 am

Good morning, all.
Cloudy with the prediction of rain this afternoon. I won't believe it until it happens. Yesterday was sunny all afternoon not just at eight in the evening.
Today will be such an onerous one. I have to accompany some of the guys on a trip round the cream factory followed by a cream tea - it's a hard life but someone has to do it.
If the weather holds there's more soil sifting and some washing needs to go on when I get back.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 9th, 2018, 7:09 am

It looks nice here. I am going to take my camera into work.

It's my mother's 90th today. She was very crotchety yesterday. She missed a hospital appointment because of a tummy bug (or, according to the story the previous day, taking too much laxative. Not sure if this was confabulation, or she had just forgotten it the next day.) She is due to have two visitors today. I do hope they turn up. I will be up on Friday for the weekend, with husband and cake. Just realized, looking at hold pictures, I bought the same cake (from Konditor and Cook) or her 80th. Well I am consistent at least... :o Lemon Chiffon...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 9th, 2018, 8:38 am

Good morning
Sunny again here, but not as hot as yesterday
Will potter about while the electrician is here, finding that the new fan doesn't want to fit the vent
Eye treatment later
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Herbidacious wrote: She missed a hospital appointment because of a tummy bug (or, according to the story the previous day, taking too much laxative. Not sure if this was confabulation, or she had just forgotten it the next day.)

I used to find that when something out of the ordinary happened, as her short term memory couldn't recall it Ma would search for a possible explanation, find one and and fix on it, whether or not that was what happened. We learned to accept her way of rationalising things even if we knew that it was total bunkum, as she was less anxious if she'd come up with an (any) explanation. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 9th, 2018, 1:07 pm

That is, in essence confabulations, I think.

I wonder if the laxative explanation was the real one, though, and that she later decided to blame her tummy bug on the upset of the hospital appointment, although she thought she might have caught something. Who knows. She wanted me to ring up and complain the other day because her carers had somehow lost her medication and/or forgotten to order in more (chemist didn't send her pain killers and said she didn't need any)... Glad I didn't because now it's the chemist's fault.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop