good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » May 26th, 2018, 8:25 am

Good morning, all.
The sun is trying to break through at the moment although we're predicted rain and lightning later.
A bit of the dreaded needs doing before the f1 starts.
I also have some purple and some ordinary basil to pot up, and some coriander - that I will do while qually is on.
A pecan plant and a coffee are shouting at me from the kitchen.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 26th, 2018, 4:15 pm

What strange weather today, started out with rainy drizzle at 7am - quite cool. I had looked at the weather forecast and saw that by 6pm it was aiming for 23 degrees. The sun has been popping in and out and now it is very humid and breezy. I am still catching up with rest so am having 35 winks.... Mr. Z has stained the stable door and cleared some virginia creeper that has gone behind the guttering - using the scaffolding while it is there. I have been banned from anything more than making a sarnie....!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 26th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Goodvevening
Started out unplasantly damp dark and drizzly here toi, but the sun is lovely now

Manged to get my tournament on time, despite a few transport niggles, now planning a quiet evening just me, a ham salad and either TV or audio book. Out at about 8.30 again tomorrow
Have agoid evening
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 27th, 2018, 8:27 am

Good morning :wave: ... another damp one here as you have all heard, another terrific thunderstorm last night, so the garden got a good soaking and both my water butts are full. I have also designed a feature that takes rainwater from the gutter on one side of my conservatory and diverts it into my 'stream' .. not really a stream, a very elaborate water feature really, but is looks like a stream just doesn't have a source ;) The rain has left the soil nice and soft, so I have been out already and finished off the weeding I started yesterday. I seem to have been invaded by buttercups (or whatever these 'weeds' are :!: :?: ) It is humid though and hoping that the sun will come through this afternoon as I am off to a smallish beer festival the other side of High Wycombe.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2018, 8:55 am

Good morning all :D

No rain here so watering has been done ... I did some weeding between the rows of chard, beetroot, lettuce etc yesterday but there's more to be done ... however I'll wait until the watering has soaked in a bit

Yes Patsy ... it does seem to be a very good year for buttercups :rolleyes:

Despite my trying to stagger things the lettuces have all caught up with each other ... we will be eating a lot of salad over the next week or so ... then I'll go to DD's to collect my plants from her greenhouse and the sweetcorn will go where the lettuces are currently living.

Enjoy the day folks ... especially the beer festival :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 27th, 2018, 9:10 am

Well... torrential rain in the night! The storm was very dramatic. I went out in it at about 11.30, worried about my young bean and pea plants. There was both sheet and fork lightning, the sky lit up every few seconds. More forecast, but sunny and warm right now.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 27th, 2018, 9:32 am

good morning, all.
the weather is quiet and overcast.
thunder rumbled and rain lashed for most of yesterday evening and into the night. a simultaneous flash and crash at about 03.30 almost rocked the house.
as there isn't any further rain predicted for today, the washing done yesterday will be hung out.
the only other thing on the cards is watching the f1.
have a lazy sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 28th, 2018, 7:41 am

Good morning. Bright and warm but there's a lot of cloud here. They have removed the rain forecast though. I shall try and get some washing done and dried outside before people start lighting up their bonfires/barbecues :?

Lots (more) to do in the garden, but not really feeling like it, possibly because a lot of it involves lugging bags of compost 120 feet down the side of the house and garden. I can take it part of the way by wheelbarrow, but not the first 40 feet (side of house not clear enough, then steps.) I was about to vacuum the stairs after I got dressed when I realized it was 8am not 9am :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 28th, 2018, 8:45 am

Good morning
Sort of bright but cloudy here, good day for potting up,but I need a bag of compost and the hardware store is shut for the BH so I'll see if the supermarket has any, there's another shop I can get some from but it won't be as good...

Just need to potter on

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 28th, 2018, 9:21 am

I am just having a break from filling my strawberry pyramid plants. It feels like a bit of a sisyphean task! Not sure if my 7 bags of compost will be enough! I could do with a strong helper.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 29th, 2018, 7:23 am

good morning, all.
bright with a hint of overcast.
it was the day of the victorian fair in aggie yesterday - well, i say victorian, it was changed to 'literary characters' this year. - is 'where's wally?' a literary character? the weather forecast got it wrong - it was sunny and cloudless all afternoon and not the cloudy and drizzly that we were threatened with.
this morning, we're off to splattenridden to visit the composting site that the council green waste gets processed at - and then to take home a load of compost.
this afternoon i'm accompanying a friend to a meeting she is worried about.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 29th, 2018, 9:30 am

Overcast and breezy here, but with intermittent bright intervals ... still nice and warm :D OH has stuffed up nose ... allergic rhinitis possibly ... he's popped down to W'rose and has now Clarityn so should be able to breathe soon ;)

I shall take some smoked salmon bits out of the freezer for a quiche for tomorrow, then I shall don my weeding gear ... again ...

Hope the meeting goes ok Scully :tu:

Have a fine day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 30th, 2018, 7:15 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a promise of rain. i hope it does as i planted some stuff out yesterday after applying a hippo bag full of compost and five big truggs of soil to the barren wasteland that used to be covered with stone chippings.
i think the meeting went well for her.
today is a day at the farm - back to normal.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 30th, 2018, 7:53 am

Overnight rain has seen the runner beans double in height!
Glad the meeting was ok Scully.
We're awaiting a delivery of some lovely knitting wool ... after that we're heading off to the Suffolk coast and thence to DD's when she's home from work so I can retrieve my tomato plants etc that spent our holiday in her greenhouse. :D
They've had some lovely news ... her step-daughter's boyfriend travelled up from the south coast in secret last week to ask SSIL 'for his daughter's hand' .... then he took her off to the Continent for a romantic holiday and proposed ... with a ring ... and she said yes!!! :D :luv: Wedding next summer (probably end of July as they're both teachers). Awwwwwwwwww :aww:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 30th, 2018, 8:33 am

Good morning
Overcast and quite cool here, we had more rain overnight but it seems our emergency unblocking yesterday has worked as it seems to have drained quite well without creating new problems
Obviously waiting for The Lunch, need to do a bit of pottering on before I go out

Might order some of those filter balls to go on top of the rain water down pipes, leaving next to woods has a downside

How romantic Suffs! :luv:

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 31st, 2018, 8:33 am

good morning, all.
overcast but bright. it was brighter earlier - i heard the dawn chorus from the wrong direction. a half hour nap, on the sofa, at the wrong time is not a good idea (not that it was a conscious choice).
it rained constantly, yesterday (hooray). i checked on tuesday's plantings and also sowed some parsley, lovage and love in a mist, rolling back the old, reapplied weed barrier just enough so the plot doesn't attract local cats. some rhubarb may go in - the leaves are rather architectural.
we're heading for a walk on the beach at eleven as it's going to be dry (as in no rain) and low tide. during the early hours musings i realised that it was half term so the beach won't be empty - never mind.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 31st, 2018, 8:58 am

Good morning
Overcast and pretty meh here, more rain, and even more storm is threatened, we shall see

Will try to stop drinking coffee and get on in a minute

Building up my strength for Stokey Literary festival this weekend, lots of food and drink events as well as some more general literature ones
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 1st, 2018, 6:52 am

Morning. Rather dreary here. The slugs are loving the damp and wet whether. More rain forecast for later.

I am feeling a bit cast adrift this morning. My husband was supposed to be coming home for a very extended weekend - German public holiday, bridge day, industry event next week. But whilst he was in the air yesterday lunchtime, a position he had set up began to lose money. It was down 1.5 million by mid afternoon and the colleague he had left to deal with things did nothing. He was furious when he got home at around 3pm. So, he was on a plane back at 6.30 this morning :(
So weekend on my own. Which is ok, jut not got my middle aged mind around it yet (i.e. more time than I should to get used to the idea.)

Today I get to leave at 4, which is good. I might pop down to the Kings Road to look at the newish Boden shop etc, but knowing me, won't!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 1st, 2018, 7:20 am

Oh Herbi that's a shame. I suppose it's not the sort of thing that can be done online :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 1st, 2018, 7:58 am

Yet, Suffs......that day is probably not far away....

I have a lot of men on site.......and I see that we have rain forecast for 2pm here....... Just hope they get the rest of the roof on before then. We had tarps. over the velux's because the sealing strips had not been put on yesterday. I am told it is a lovely light and airy area in the Hobbit Room.

Sorry to hear your w/e has been disrupted Herb. I'd suggest some retail therapy !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 1st, 2018, 8:35 am

:oops: I didn't say Good morning .... good morning folks :D

I must get out there and plant the sweetcorn ... it was two inches tall when we left it with DD to look after in her greenhouse while we were on holiday ... now it's all over a foot tall :shock: I'll have to plant it between the rows of lettuces ... it's getting a little crowded in the veg patch.

The toms need planting out too ... they're huge!!! DD certainly has green fingers :)

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 1st, 2018, 9:35 am

good morning, all.
brightening up - it was threatening to be misty.
i have a 'pick up' mission from the hospital and filling up with fuel to do today - and maybe a bit of shopping.
i spent part of yesterday moving pots and 'stuff' looking for earthworms. the haul was then transferred into the (once) barren wasteland. i'm hoping that they'll start doing their wormy best. anyone with a surfeit of the appropriate worms know where to send them!
i will be bringing some of my rather stylish tomato supports into use today, too.

pinch and a punch - and no returns!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 1st, 2018, 10:24 am

Thanks all. I was considering retail therapy, Zosh :) if I can be bothered. No husband = public transport :o

I need some more strawberry plants for my planter. Nearest good and not overpriced garden centre will take me 40 minutes to get to without a car I think (ten with.) Hmm...

I have some sweetcorn to, Suffs. I don't really have room for it. I put four in in a square. Is it worth me bothering putting the other 4 or so in pots? Will that work? I suppose I could put the rest of mine in between the peas, if it's ok to put them in a line. Also getting rather crowded in the raised bed... This is for tomorrow, though. I wish I could go part time...
Last edited by Herbidacious on June 1st, 2018, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 1st, 2018, 10:27 am

Herbi ... have a look at the Three Sisters method of planting sweetcorn https://insteading.com/blog/companion-p ... weet-corn/ :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 1st, 2018, 10:33 am

I needed (so I thought) a stabilizer for my one and only SC plant. So planted it next to the post that is a corner of my raspberry bed, it seems to like being with them ! The R'berries are covered with bees.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 1st, 2018, 10:50 am

Thanks Suffs! Now there's an idea, Zosh. Next to the raspberries...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 1st, 2018, 10:52 am

Thanks Suffs! Now there's an idea, Zosh. Next to the raspberries...

edit: we actually have a page on native American (pc term now?) companion planting of corn etc. in the Food book I worked on (not my page though.)

It may not be sunny enough in the raised bed anymore (trees...) Maybe I'll put it further up the garden in the non veg area.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 1st, 2018, 11:43 am

Good nooon
Slept a bit late and across the road for my podiatry appointment. Feet all lovely now.

Interesting that Suffolk's article credits three sisters to the Iroquois, I had understood that it came from the Andes and spread up through central America

Just need to get my eyebrows done now and I'm ready for the Literary Festival tonight, starting with Nerd Nite

Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » June 1st, 2018, 8:38 pm

I once tried the 3 sisters system on my plot. However I fear the SC was planted too closely, as it shaded out the squash. It never suffered any raccoon damage though...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » June 2nd, 2018, 10:18 am

good morning, all.
overcast but bright.
spent a lot of yesterday with a poorly person.
forgot to take tomato supports with me.
filled up with fuel before visa went down.
did the barest of essential shopping in order to get said poorly person back to their home quickly.
today - i have nothing planned. i need to do a load of hswk but that may not happen - some washing may, though, before we run out of clean grundies.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 3rd, 2018, 9:09 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
a meeting this afternoon to go to and then the cinema with local young later.
washing and vacuuming got done yesterday - i needed a sit down after that, to recover from the shock.
dinner was salad, rock samphire fritters and falafel - a cheats packet mix that we picked up at a vegan fair a while back. they were quite good. worth having a packet in the larder if you haven't time to soak chickpeas. we have a packet of the original to use sometime.
i was offered a coffee some time ago but i think he may have got distracted!
have a happy sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 3rd, 2018, 9:10 am

Good morning
Sunny but turning a little hazy here
Could do with doing a bit of plant stuff but will be out for most of the day
Back to calm for most of the week
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 3rd, 2018, 9:39 am

I'll keep my eyes open for that falafel mix Scully ... always handy to have something like that in the cupboard, if it's not going to be a disappointment.

The fritters sound good too :drool:

Supper has been almost all prepped ... koftas made and chilling, salad picked and washed thoroughly 'cos of all the splashed soil from the heavy rain yesterday, hummus done, aubergines baked and steaming in a covered bowl ready for making baba ganoush later .... all I've got to do is make a mint and yoghurt dressing later and warm some flatbreads ... now I can get out there and hoe the veg patch (again :rolleyes: )when the Archers has finished.

Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 4th, 2018, 9:00 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment but last night's forecast has altered and the prediction of rain for this afternoon will have a mixed reaction - ok by me but my partner has some bread cooking - hopefully it'll be done before the rain comes or he will be a grump.
oops - got distracted by the book of the week (r4).
nothing planned - not good at planning!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 4th, 2018, 9:13 am

Did you hear the discussion before Book of the Week Scully? v. interesting.

Decidedly fresher this morning, and overcast ... however OH is proceeding with the painting project ... now he's tackling the new pergola which will be painted before we attempt to assemble and erect it so it only needs touching up afterwards.

No plans here either, other than a bit of light dusting and a Basque-ish chicken dish.

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 4th, 2018, 9:50 am

yes, very interesting.
is he painting roses on the pergola?!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 4th, 2018, 10:54 am

scullion wrote:is he painting roses on the pergola?

:lol: Nope :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 4th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Good noon
Had to dash out to get my hair cut this morning and since have been running errans, overcast and breezy here, was going to pot up a few plants but I'm tired and it really is a bit too breezy
Might listen to books and sort laundry
Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 5th, 2018, 9:33 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
today - shopping. we've run out of most fresh stuff and are on an emergency, freezer pint of milk. i have doubled my milk consumption making the kefir. (thank you patsy, the grains and i are in quite a good routine and with good consistency). my partner is shopping, too. he wants/needs a new wheelbarrow.
i have a little planting to do as well. i picked up a small dianthus for fifty pence and a pot of cosmos for one fifty, from an honesty stand at the side of the road, on the way home on sunday. so the latter will go in near the baby globe artichokes, fennel and lovage, and the pink will have a home close to the parsley, calico chillies and love in a mist. hopefully there will be something to see in a few months. i will be sowing a swathe of beetroot in there, too - interesting leaves (before eating the roots).
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 5th, 2018, 9:45 am

Good morning ... Yes, making my kefir is the first thing I do each morning, even before my first cuppa. It's quite cold here today .. I'm still sitting here in my pj's with an extra layer on. Lucy dog is resting on the settee, but keeping one ear cocked should I move out of the room . I will miss that little shadow I have had for the last month ;) :( I intend buying my usual bedding plants either later today or tomorrow . These are for various pots and one basket that is grey and for which I buy white bacopa and a white upright fuchsia .. I have a white wall on which hang 8 terracotta pots .. so pink pelargoniums for those, along with something hanging down ???
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 5th, 2018, 9:57 am

good morning
As you will see, I have been up for ages not necessarily being very constructive
Think I need to do something more practical than researching printers,
It's not a very nice day, but I suppose that could be a good day for sorted out my neglected stuff indoors and having a little walk for exercise and to see if I can work out why my expensive walking trainers have suddenly decided to blister the side of my right foot - could just be poor choice of socks I think
Have a good day everone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 6th, 2018, 6:42 am

good morning, all.
brightly overcast with the promise of sun later.
i picked spinach and chard from the 'barren wasteland' yesterday - i may have to call it something different soon.
off to the farm in a bit but a coffee is needed now so i'm heading for the kitchen.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 6th, 2018, 6:55 am

Yes quite cool here. Just did my usual morning slug patrol. I have to say my pea plants in the raised bed are not thriving. Since the potatoes are doing ok, not lack of sunlight? Although the potato are a few feet away. I put manure down on the bed, so not sure if its nutrition. It's bugging me. Frustrating when you put so much work into something with poor results.

Today more Dombey. I must get it read to give to my editor today. I was hoping to yesterday but a slight plan change which should have facilitated this did the opposite
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 6th, 2018, 7:33 am

Good morning
The sun is trying to come out here so with luck it will be successful
Forgot to say that I did go to the new Tower Theatre onMonday and was taken round the renovations by Martin who will play Henry VIII in Wolf Hall at Bridewell and Minack
Might wake up soon, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 6th, 2018, 7:54 am

StokeySue wrote:was taken round the renovations by Martin who will play Henry VIII in Wolf Hall at Bridewell and Minack

we will look out for him!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 6th, 2018, 8:03 am

Topping up with :mug: before heading south to meet up with DS, currently 'house sitting' on a friend's houseboat ... he's enjoying it so much he's looking at renting a nearby converted trawler longer term ... it's a lovely spot down by http://woodbridgetidemill.org.uk/ ... I'm taking my camera ... it's a long time since I've spent much time there, but a schoolfriend lived on the river there a goodly while ago.

Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 7th, 2018, 7:11 am

Morning. Dull again here with a forecast for the same all day and tomorrow. I hope it changes (it was supposed to be sunny this afternoon according to yesterday's forecast)
I had a terrible journey home last night - to took over 90 minutes due to Thameslink's incompetency. Hopefully today will be better and less stressful.

I was woken up early by Basil doing the cat equivalent of yelling :D or possibly :evil: !!

Ooh just looked out and adult blue tits feeding babies on the feeder!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 9:20 am

good morning, all.
overcast with the threat (promise?) of rain in a little while, well, that was what it was when i looked last night, now, it's a twenty percent chance of rain today. i'm thinking it isn't worth looking at the forecast for more than twenty four hours in advance as it always seems to change from one day to the next. 'they've' got the overcast right.
i hope the rain doesn't happen later as it's our first trip to the minack for this year - hamlet - why not start off with something heavy?! the weather may be appropriate!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2018, 9:43 am

Good morning
Brightly overcast here, real chance of showers later apparently
Coming round slowly as I did so much yesterday (and had some beer)
Need to get moving though befor I get stuck in this postion
Might tidy uo a bit :o
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 11:04 am

I woke up to a dull and chilly (for June) morning, but pleased that I got 8 hours sleep. :tu: I had a very busy day yesterday starting with Fitsteps, then lunch at my local GC, then home to plant up my purchases, culminating in a drive up to Luton to collect a young girl after her diving class. I didn't get home until 11 though as I had to wait in for her mother to arrive home from a meeting.

Today, enforced rest as I am in the shop. Yesterday a crew came in to film another episode of Celebrity Antiques Road Show (Tom Heap and Philip Serrell ) So the shop is looking very smart at the moment as my (business) partner spent a couple of days cleaning and re-arranging things ... It will be shown on tv in November :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop