good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » June 25th, 2018, 8:44 am

good morning
sunshine here too
We are threatened with 30 C
Lots of little errands to do - visit to GP, beauty salon etc, tidying up, getting ready for holiday

And finding time to sit outside with the stray glass of white wine that lurks in the fridge

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 25th, 2018, 9:10 am

good morning, all.
sunny - we are predicted a little cloud today. it was predicted yesterday but not last night (for today) when the prediction was, again, wall to wall sun.
a friend and i went on a little of the garden safari in mullion, yesterday. some (most) of the time was passed sat drinking pimms in the garden of a beautiful thatched cottage - with a beautiful garden (it's for sale if anyone's interested).
i went and did some watering on the way home and then planted four baby purple sprouting broccoli plants in the barren wasteland. the parsley, nigella and lovage seeds that i had sown a while back have finally started getting their bums in gear so i gave them a boost, too, while watering in the purple sprouting.
i think a bit of hswk is needed. the place is a tip - but i'm sure i'll find time to top up the vit d.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 25th, 2018, 10:39 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Sounds like a lovely day Scully :D think I'm going to have to slot our purple sproutings in between the sweetcorn ... there's nowhere else left :?

Wall to wall blue skies ... I've got the soaker hose on the Shady Bank as it's parched and even the Japanese anemones are drooping. Lovely zucchini from our Z. Romanesco plants ... highly recommended, and more mange touts than I know what to do with at the moment ... it'll be a stir fry this evening I think ... and the gooseberries need picking ... it's very hot outside and a parasol for the terrace has broken :rolleyes: thank goodness for the shade from the big ash tree 8-)

Have a lovely day and don't forget the sunscreen and long cold drinks :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 26th, 2018, 7:09 am

Morning. Another scorchy one promised today. I have too much (non work) stuff to do today. I may need to rationalize some of it. It's a school day so no lunch break either...

Sunscreen, Suffs! I will barely see the outdoors until this evening... ;) (By which point, it will be insects repellent time if I go outside.)

I think I may have to freeze my mangetouts, as I won't have time to eat them before I go away... they are already getting more pea like. They are very pretty. Slightly pinky purple. I guess I could give them to colleagues. I have had the odd one raw.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2018, 9:24 am

Good morning
We have a bit of haze which is helping to keep the house cool
Need to potter round packing before a 3.30 am departure in the morning :o
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 26th, 2018, 9:48 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a flick of breeze. i love the sun but i wish it would rain for the next few nights - at least.
oregon sugar pod mangetout peas are a good one to grow as they can be eaten as ordinary mangetout or left to bulk up - you can still eat the whole pod when the peas inside are reasonably big.
when i went to water yesterday i popped an everlasting kale and four 'elephant garlic' bulbs into the barren wasteland. the latter has a rather lovely flower, typically allium, four to six inches in diameter and mid purple colour. one may flower next year the others the year after (if i'm lucky). we ate one bulb in ratatouille, last night, cut into thick slices - very nice (if you like the taste of garlic). i forgot to pick the peas.
i am expecting some fabric today, to make a copy of an old, drop waisted, laura ashley dress that i've had for many years and which was a charity shop find by a friend. i have a wedding to go to at the beginning of september so hopefully it'll look good enough for that (depending on if the fabric is nice enough), otherwise i'll make myself another 'playsuit' copy with it. there are two different fabrics arriving so hopefully i'll make one of each anyway.
have another glorious day, everyone.

ps. have a great holiday, sue.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 26th, 2018, 11:15 am

Good morning all :D

I was very happy with my pretty tea dress, straw hat and slub silk jacket at niece's very smart wedding at the weekend Scully. At least I wasn't wearing the gold lamé wide legged 'play suit' worn by one middle aged female of sturdy build ... far be it from me to dictate how others should dress but I overheard mention of Bacofoil and trussed fowl. I'm pretty sure my elegant sister in law will not have been impressed ;)

We're making inroads on the Cos lettuce crop at last ... I think salad will be on the menu for the rest of the week 8-)

Have a lovely day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 27th, 2018, 7:05 am

Morning. Currently overcast here, but expecting sunshine later.

I shall be having lunch with a friend at the Fromagerie on Lambs Conduit Street today. Tonight - a long list of things to do and a lot of watering in preparation for my trip to Germany tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 27th, 2018, 7:25 am

good morning, all.
bright and breezy.
off to the farm. i have had to do a load of online (care) courses. why have i had to do medication administration (and things about caring for people in their own homes and institutions) but not emergency first aid? (i didn't have access to that course). if you ask me that would have been one of the more important ones to have done. luckily i can still remember the advanced emergency resusc. and first aid i did with surf club (and at college) years ago. i may point out the course block today - along with the poor spelling in some of the courses.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 27th, 2018, 7:35 am

Good morning … a chilly one here - what a change from the last few days although the weather lady on the local (London) news says it will warm up. I have had to close my conservatory doors, normally they are flung open and left open all day in warm weather. I may even have to close the roof window ! :o :mug: My usual Fitsteps class is now closed for a couple of months as our teacher has had a bunion and hammer toe operated on - a legacy from her man (oops …. many ;) ) years as a pro ballroom dancer (anyone remember Frank & Peggy Spencer ?)
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on June 28th, 2018, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 28th, 2018, 8:32 am

Morning. Cool and dull here at the mo. I spotted this growing in barren earth near my front door this morning self seeded from last year. (If you put a seed in there it would never grow...?!)

816E2819-43C0-49F9-9360-02F38A9E38BD.jpeg

Off to Germany today. Feeling exhausted again which doesn’t bode well. Time to see GP I think.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 28th, 2018, 9:39 am

Oooh, that's lovely Herbi … :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 28th, 2018, 10:56 am

Good morning all :D (just)

Love a Morning Glory Herbi ;)

Been out there watering, picking fruit and veg and blanching and freezing some of them. :D

More to pick so I'd better go and do it .... however, where'm I going to put them ... the freezer's filling fast ........ What'm I going to do when it's runner bean time :shock:

Have a lovely day folks.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 28th, 2018, 11:01 am

I forgot to grow them this year. Last year I had a pot of them by the door with sweet peas. Next year...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 28th, 2018, 11:29 am

They do self seed if they're in a sheltered spot ... looks like that's what happened :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 28th, 2018, 11:34 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i have been sat indoors doing my homework. i had forgotten about it and it's due in tomorrow. i have just remembered that i'd made a cup of coffee before i'd started - it's now cold - never mind, i am happy with that, too.
my partner is up in devon for some of the day with a chef. i would have gone but i'm off to the minack with a friend this evening and we might not have been been back in time for me to have gone. i will get pastys out of the freezer soon.
i had planned to get loads done today but the homework has put the plans awry - oh well, there's (hopefully) always another day.

PatsyMFagan wrote:anyone remember Frank & Peggy Spencer ?

i thought she was called betty!

lovely ipomoea - same family as sweet potatoes.
have a good day, everyone.

keep drinking water (emphasis on the water - rather than the need for storage or type)
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 28th, 2018, 11:39 am

Definitely Betty. As in "Ooh Betty, the cat... etc."
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 28th, 2018, 11:54 am

i was being tongue in cheek - patsy did mean peggy.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 28th, 2018, 12:47 pm

:tu: :tu: :tu:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=frank+and ... lang=en-GB

Actually I never gave Frank and Betty a thought ! ;) :aww: :oops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 28th, 2018, 2:12 pm

scullion wrote:i was being tongue in cheek - patsy did mean peggy.

Sorry. Brain not working. Preflight panic.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 28th, 2018, 2:19 pm

i had to think twice, too - but you have the excuse that you're not so much in the age group that would have been inflicted with 'come dancing' on the telly. unlike patsy (i just wrote pasty - must be hungry!) and me.

my partner is on his way back from devon - i get the impression it was a successful trip.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 29th, 2018, 7:15 am

good morning, all.
sunny. we had thunder and a spot of rain last night - hurrah!
the minack (sense and sensibility) was reasonably good - although it was a shame the male roles weren't much to write home about (in looks and acting skill). the skill was definitely on the female side (as was fitting). the star of the show was the moon. it rose in the middle of the view of the stage, almost full and, due to the lighting at the time, a rather subtle coral colour. the sea and sky were shades of a beautiful teal colour and the effect was dramatic. i was not alone sneaking out the phone to take a picture (which of course didn't do justice).
off to the south today (we have been told we get our free, volunteer cards today - i think it means we get into nt places for free and maybe half price coffee and cake - i'll let you know).
better shift - i need a coffee.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 29th, 2018, 7:27 am

Morning. Quite cool here at the mo. Bit of a hike to get here yesterday. About 8 hours in total.

Just about to get on a fast train to Strasbourg. Wasn’t expecting to be up yet, let alone having been at the station for half an hour (Kafe und Apfelkuchen.) :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 29th, 2018, 9:41 am

The moon and sea sound wonderful Scully :D

A lovely morning here in Norfolk ... bright and sunny but with a cooling breeze :D We had thought about going to the coast, but decided that lazing around here enjoying all the fruits of our hard work in the garden was preferable to spending time in the car 8-) and of course, I still have goosegogs to top and tail.

Have a great day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 29th, 2018, 1:41 pm

scullion wrote:the star of the show was the moon. it rose in the middle of the view of the stage, almost full and, due to the lighting at the time, a rather subtle coral colour

We had a beautiful moon last night too … in fact the photos posted on our village fb group page just don't look real :!: ;) :o
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 30th, 2018, 7:19 am

Morning. Up a bit later today. Walked nearly 21km according to my phone app yesterday. Today is Freiberg by train again. Husband is wheezing again... :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 30th, 2018, 9:20 am

Good morning all :D It's been a lazy one so far ... I'd better get a move on and do some watering ... have a lovely weekend folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 30th, 2018, 11:28 am

good morning, all.
sunny-ish with a little breeze. the prediction for rain tomorrow has gone down from 80% to 50%.
nothing planned although i am thinking of buying a pattern for a backpack. a similar one i had was used by my partner to gather some rather heavy bits - i haven't seen it since and i would imagine it isn't in a good way - if it still exists. i have rather a lot of projects i need to get on with first though - but i do need a bag - don't i?
i am thinking that i might harvest one of my bags of earlies pretty soon. they have flowers so it's not overly soon.
have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 1st, 2018, 8:27 am

good morning, all.
i woke to the blissful sound of rain. the prediction is up to a 50% chance that it'll last 'til six pm.
i have a meeting to go to at two - i will take a brolly.
when back home i'll watch the f1 which will be recording while i'm out but on the way i will be stopping at a gateway (roadside), plant stall to see what they have - there are usually some rather nice, cheap plants.
have a damp day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 1st, 2018, 8:35 am

Woke up late this morning. 8.45. Set to be v hot again today. We are going to the zoo shortly. Not sure what else. I hope to fit in some fancy south agedman cake :D

Edit. Auto text!! German cake I meant. It didn’t really happen though, but did have a nice price of cheesecake.
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 1st, 2018, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 1st, 2018, 9:12 am

'They' keep saying that there's no chance of a hosepipe ban in this region, but there was also radio discussion of 'snitching on neighbours' for selfish behaviour etc ... I had intended to put the sprinkler on the front border this morning while it's in the shade, but maybe I'll organise some help with a watering can relay instead ... don't want the neighbours to disapprove of me more than they already do ;) , but on the other hand I really don't want my border of butterfly/moth/pollinator friendly plants to turn up their toes ... it's getting a bit frazzled out there.

And while were on the subject of radio broadcasting ... was anyone else irritated at the use this morning of the phrase 'just how unprecedented is this hot spell ?' Unprecedented is unprecedented ....... it cannot be a matter of degree :twisted:

And breathe ......... anyway, I presume that with the start of Wimbledon tomorrow those of us in the south/south east/East Anglia will be subjected to torrential rain and Cliff Richard before very long :lol:

Thanks to Moira we shall be having grilled peach and halloumi salad for lunch :chops:

Have a lovely day folks.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 1st, 2018, 2:51 pm

After a nice start it has gone very hot humid and thundery..... Gridge is still behind my shoe rack in the wardrobe... :rolleyes: She likes it dark and quiet. Wuzzle is in his nest in the Cathcart and Scrump has made himself scarce..... some cool long grass if I have to guess.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 1st, 2018, 5:59 pm

Suffs, many people take the view that they pay for the water so it should be provided for them to use as they please. Sadly, the worst offenders are places like golf courses, country estates and race courses who have to be bargained with whilst we feel guilty filling a watering can :evil: . It really would be nice to have some rain at night!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 1st, 2018, 6:25 pm

Just a couple of hours of steady rain would be good ... Aren't you in charge of such things EM? If not, you should be ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 1st, 2018, 7:18 pm

Can't argue with fat cats who want green golf courses ... :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 1st, 2018, 7:51 pm

One of my water butts is empty :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 1st, 2018, 8:52 pm

Both of my butts have been empty for 2 weeks. I watered tatos again tonight and my apple trees or we will have no apples this Sept.

Bought a new water butt for the Hobbit house, the builders will install... :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 2nd, 2018, 12:22 am

the vegetable beds in the walled garden, where i've been working for the past three or so months, only get water when seeds are sown or new plants are planted and not too much even then. after that they have to survive by their own means. we're only there on fridays and no-one else waters in the mean time, either.
we have had no rain for weeks other than the brief shower on friday night - which didn't happen down at the walled garden - and the shower on sunday morning (i am assuming it happened down there, too) - which wetted the surface then dried out again.
our produce is amazing. among all the other crops, there is more chard, spinach and lettuce than we can cope with, the courgettes (from two plants) have been delivering enough for a few each (for those that want some) and the french beans we had tonight were amazing. the roots of everything must have gone down a long way to get water.
the beds are compost layered straight on the ground rather than raised beds (which of course usually need a bit of thought over water) and the compost seems as dry as a bone but it's obviously thick enough to hold more water, lower down, than i would have expected. the answer is therefore thicker compost and less watering, if you ask me.

ps. good morning!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 2nd, 2018, 6:12 am

I bought a water butt for the front, but not sure if it’s going to work logisitically. We have one on the shed and at the back of the house at th mo.

Looks set to be another hot one today. Travelling back this afternoon. Hoping to distract self from usual travel anxiety by a little retail therapy this morning. I have spotted some nice looking inexpensive viscose pj bottoms in Tchibo for starters.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 2nd, 2018, 8:35 am

good morning, all.
sunny but we have a sudden 80% chance of rain between one and two o'clock. then back down to the little chance. that may change by the next time i look, though.
only hswk and pot watering is on the cards today and most likely making a little kiwi jam with the cheap fruit i bought the other day.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 2nd, 2018, 11:09 am

the met office has decreased our chance of rain to 40% between five and six - i have the feeling that, too, will disappear.
i have put washing on - that'll make it rain if nothing else will!
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 3rd, 2018, 7:14 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment but we are promised a little rain later - i won't hold my breath. the rain predicted for yesterday afternoon didn't happen.
i'm off for the first yoga session i've ever been to , this morning. goodness knows what i'm going to look like in leggings and a baggy teeshirt - i hope the leggings don't give up the ghost - maybe i should take something to wear on the way home, just in case! i must remember to take some water, too.
when we were at the friend's doing the vine pruning, the other weekend, i picked up a piece of the older wood that someone had lopped off. i left one leaf on and stuck it in some water when i got home - it now has roots three inches long - it's obviously a good time to increase your stock if you have grape vines. i'll have to ask what type it is, on friday.

ps. as soon as i'd downloaded the backpack pattern and asked my partner to print it for me (my mac considers our printer obsolete) he went and found the little black one. i still made him print out the pdf.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 3rd, 2018, 10:26 am

Its' a bit breezy here, but sunny and warm. It's nice to be home :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 4th, 2018, 7:15 am

Bright but cloudy here. I may be over dressed. I am dressed for bright but cloudy but not the predicted 26 degrees. We have rain forecast. I will still be wearing sandals...!

Nothing exciting on today. I have a writing group, but I may not go... :o still v tired after long weekend. Plus I haven't written/finished anything.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 4th, 2018, 7:19 am

good morning, all.
i think it's still raining - i think it's been doing it for the best part of the night - whoop whoop!
of to the farm where i'll unload the kiln before going off with some of the guys to a 'blue light day' - a chance for those who like uniforms to have an ogle. such a shame a uniform does nothing for me.
better get going or i'll be late.
have a deliciously damp day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2018, 9:47 am

Not a smidgeon of precipitation expected here Scully ... enjoy yours :)

I see no alternative but to spend time in a queue of traffic at some time today ...

Have a good day everyone ... :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 4th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Rain has not happened here... yet. Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow afternoon.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 5th, 2018, 11:27 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a bit of cloud. i think our rain moved on yesterday afternoon but it was a reasonable amount while it was here, thank goodness.
i realised that i hadn't done my homework so have (i hope) done it this morning.
the rest of the day (when my partner gets back with a turnip (swede) and parsley) will be taken up with clearing up and making pastys for tonight's trip to the minack. it may also mean i make some more pastys for the next couple of trips.
tonight's production is 'the cherry orchard' . the weather is forecast to be good but we'll take 'the gear' just in case.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 5th, 2018, 11:57 am

Good after morning all :D

Love the Cherry Orchard ... saw it many moons ago at The Almeida with Bernard Hills in it (and some other notables). Wonderful. Enjoy!

Too hot and sticky for baking pastys here ... 29C and still rising ... but 'they' are saying we may get some rain this afternoon and there's certainly some cumulonimbus building up to the west . Just heard a buzzard mewing ... went out to have a look but the sky here is too bright to really see him/her.

We've just realised that the last time we cut the grass was before we went on holiday in mid May ... and the only plants tall enough to mow are the Cat's Ear weeds that have appeared from nowhere.

Tennis is on so I'll see you later ........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 6th, 2018, 7:12 am

Morning. Looks like a hot one again. I had intended to have a naughty mini lie in, especially as had insomnia last night, but Basil had other ideas, so up at 6.30. Washing load done and put out, some watering done. Backed up latest photo files... will be off to work in 45 minutes. I am feeling ok considering I've had 4 hours sleep!

I finish at 4pm today. Dilemma: take old computer for one last look (is it worth it considering I have a new one coming?) or go to Boden in Chelsea to look at swimwear. Hmm. I tmay fepend on the state of the trains from Victoria.
edit. They seem to be running today.
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 6th, 2018, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop