good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby Seatallan » July 23rd, 2018, 12:35 pm

scullion wrote:good race (F1) result, yesterday.

Super wasn't it? :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 24th, 2018, 7:09 am

good morning, all.
brightly overcast at the moment. the met office are dangling a 40% chance of rain in front of us, for about midday - i'll let you know.
i may see how the second bag of earlies has done, today. i don't hold out much hope for a large crop as the soil i used was pretty devoid of any organic matter, the other bag contained enough potatoes for a meal for the two of us. i doubt the two bags of second earlies will fare much better.
the chilli plant in the barren wasteland is being crowded out/over by the currant tomatoes. the chillies are small and the one i tested and ate yesterday was as hot as a sweet pepper (i.e. not) and was seedless - but it looks pretty...
off to yoga in an hour and a half. i'm not finding it at all strenuous but i hope i'll be getting a bit of muscle tone back bit by bit - and the relax at the end is nice.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 24th, 2018, 10:27 am

Good morning
Another scorcher here, forecast says it should be about 23 C now rising to 28 later, but it was a good 28 in the yard when I trotted down to meet the postie at 10 am, and the sunis blinding, so maximum solar gain
Think I will follow the same strategy as yesterday, potter around indoors until the park is nice and shady then go for a walk, evening spent sitting outside while the building cools down
I've never taken to yoga, but I really should find another Pilates class
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 25th, 2018, 6:55 am

good morning, all.
we are forecast cloudy with sunny spells, today - i think we're starting with a sunny spell. 'they' also forecast no rain.
off to the farm in a bit - will the buying of plaster happen this week? your guess is as good as mine.
coffee grounds have been spread around the barren wasteland (and through some of it) partly to deter any slugs or snails that might be around but also to deter the cat which has been 'visiting'. it came along as i was doing it and started to come up the path so i'm afraid a handful of old turkish coffee (found at the back of a cupboard) was also spread over the cat - causing it to change it's mind, carry on walking along the main path and investigate something further along. after a little while it retraced it's steps but this time as far away from me as possible. lets see if it gets it's own back.
but i suppose this pales into insignificance compared to the heartbreaking sadness in greece.
have a reflective day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2018, 8:12 am

Good morning
Hot and sunny again, no rain forecast until Friday, will wash my mac in a mo
No feline incursions here, just bumble bees and overflying parrots. A lot of people round here have 100% indoor cats, which I am not a fan of.

Not looking forward to a trip on the Victoria line this afternoon

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 25th, 2018, 11:01 am

Good morning all :D

So much sadness in Greece :cry:

Much sadness in Laos too :cry:

Great fun was had watching hedgehog activity from the comfort of the air bed in the garden until 3.30 this morning. Feel a little tired this morning tho :lol:

Hope everyone's day goes well :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2018, 9:19 am

good morning, all.
my coffee was brought to me from the garden, this morning, care of the sun (and my partner, of course) which is good because i need to clear the solenoid on the gaggia (or whatever is blocking the steam to the portafil). i have the blanking basket and the powder, just haven't got a round tuit.
i think another coffee is on the brew.
the offering at the minack tonight is 'a servant of two masters', i'm looking forward to it - and my pasty.
this morning's job is to go and cut a load of bamboo. i need the tops to put in the patch to keep the cat away and some lengths to hold up the pea netting - unless i use some tops for the peas, too.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2018, 10:03 am

The fridge has had a sort out ... some furry jars have been emptied and washed and put back in the garage. :D

'They' keep promising 'torrential rain' in the next 48 hours ... a month's worth in a couple of hours ... shall I water the garden today or not?

Enjoy the Minack Scully :D ... at least there'll be a refreshing breeze ... I think someone's been going around removing the oxygen from the air over here :rolleyes:

Have a great day folks :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2018, 10:43 am

Good morning
A slow day here, just taking it easy

We are promised / threatened with thunder, lightening, wind and rain tomorrow. Probably just in time to obliterate the show the moon will put on around 9 pm :( - think you should have a good view of that scully as it will be SE?

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 27th, 2018, 7:46 am

good morning, all.
bright with sun at the moment.
bamboo tops have been 'planted' - how much you want to bet that people warn me that they might take root! i may fill a couple of gaps with some more peas - i don't think i'll bother to soak them - the weather tonight (when ideally it would be clear) should see to that.
i doubt that we'll see the eclipse - which is a shame - pity it wasn't last night as we had some clear views while we were down at porthcurno.
we got to our seats as they were starting the play, last night, having spent about half an hour stuck in a narrow lane behind the jam of a large harvester followed by a tractor trailing a spinner which met a bus coming in the opposite direction. when all the reversing, of a long line of traffic (most of whom were 'friends' of the minack - we can get there later than the 'plebs') along the single track, bendy lane and the bus had finally got past, the tractor's trailer proceeded to burst a tyre - fortunately on a short, passable stretch just before a very sharp bend.
we ate our pastys during rather than just before the performance.
the play started off with us thinking it would be a little disappointing, with some variable acting (over and under) but as it progressed it got better (- or maybe we had recovered by then) and settled in to an enjoyable production, carried by the exuberance of the lead male.
there was indeed a fresh breeze - commented on by a couple who had just flown in from l.a., sat close to us. it was enough to add on another layer.
off to the south in an hour or so, and i'm also tasked with medicating the local young's cat for the next couple of days, morning and evening.
have a good day, everyone (with enough rain to soak but not wash away).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2018, 8:16 am

Oh the delights of rural lanes and byways Scully :D A recent obstruction not too far from here involved an overturned trailer full of potatoes on a narrow bend .... fortunately the locals knew the diversions ... many of them scooping up a helping or two of potatoes before leaving the scene ;)

Glad a good evening was had eventually :D

Not really sure what I'm going to do today ... the studio's too hot to work in in the morning ... there's nothing much in the house that needs doing ... I might read a book while I wait for 24 hours of steady but gentle rainfall ....

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2018, 10:15 am

War and Peace Suffs?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2018, 10:36 am

earthmaiden wrote:War and Peace Suffs?

:lol: :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2018, 11:08 am

Good noon
Overcast and hot here
We are threatened with rain at 13.00, 16.00 and 21.00, so that last will do for the eclipse :( . The thing is, the risk is given as only 51% each time though so I think I might water a couple of the more delicate plants if it doesn't perform at 13.00.
Book club tonight, laundry next
Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 27th, 2018, 1:07 pm

suffolk wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:War and Peace Suffs?

:lol: :rolleyes:

Well all that snow should cool you down a bit.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2018, 1:16 pm

oooh wouldn't that be luverly :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 28th, 2018, 7:00 am

good morning, all.
i think it may have stopped raining for a while. more is expected. the water butts should be full.
off out in a short while so i'd better get a move on.
see you later.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 28th, 2018, 10:10 am

Morning
Wehad about an hour or so of downpour in the end
We need the same every day for a month to make a different. Doesn't look like that will happen
They have given the old Kingsland Market in Dalston a reboot, starting today. I think it is going to be more hipster "vintage" than the 70s sad stalls selling reclaimed and fake electrical spares and surplus haberdashery from the surrounding sweat shops.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 29th, 2018, 8:43 am

good morning, all.
windy and overcast at the mo - slightly less windy than that night, thankfully.
there is washing drying using the dehumidifier - no drying outside yesterday or today.
i need to go and medicate the cat in a minute then get a load of stuff done along with some hswk and clearing up - and putting some 'chard-y beans' in the freezer. that's dinner sorted for another night.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2018, 9:00 am

Overcast with the occasion spit and spatter on the windows ... thankfully the wind has dropped. The temperature is a comfortable 19C and a good night's sleep was had by both of us :D OH has to go into work for an hour this afternoon 5 - 6 :rolleyes:

I'm putting off hswk until tomorrow ... today will be predominantly a reading and knitting day :)

Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 29th, 2018, 9:16 am

Good morning
Going to do a little bit more attic clearing as both back and air temperature suitable (just noticed my toes are slightly cold)

The market wasn't as over poshed up as I'd feared, a few decent stalls including two nice women with a load of G-plan and Ercol and similar, some original prints at good prices and a lovely girl with some good vintage clothing, some of which I think she had remodelled.

Went back to the main market and had a falafel wrap for lunch. Had to wait while he fried the falafel to order, he gabve mefour big ones, which was a rather big portion. I'm sure his brother only gives me three!

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 29th, 2018, 10:28 am

Refreshing, cooling rain here.

It rained on and off yesterday, then steadily from about 8pm last night and still going now. Forecast to rain all day today and most of tomorrow, shouldn’t complain as we need it.

Dad is here helping with some DIY bits around the cottage. Then over to Mum and Dads later for an evening meal, a two rib of beef roast dinner :hungry:

Have a good day everyone

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2018, 11:37 am

Busybee wrote:a two rib of beef roast dinner

I take it you are expecting us ........ you do recall inviting us don't you :wave: :luv:

:drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 30th, 2018, 6:45 am

good morning, all.
bright but overcast, at the moment. the prediction for rain today and tonight is decreasing, on the met forecast.
cat medication, a jaunt and a retrieval from an airport are on the menu for today.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 30th, 2018, 7:43 am

Similar weather here to Cornwall apparently Scully .... today I may make a chicken curry and make the falafel tomorrow ... or I may make the falafel today and the curry tomorrow .... decisions decisions decisions .......

It looks as if there may be a cob or two of sweetcorn ready any day now :bounce:

Have a good day all :D

Edited to say: Decision made ... the chicken needs using today .... curry it is ....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 30th, 2018, 11:06 am

Good morning
According to the hourly forecast it is currently raining, it's not, though the low smoky clouds suggest it might start at any moment. In fact it hasn't rained for some hours. Rain shoukd peter out during the day and it starts warming up again tomorrow.
Another stint in the attic beckons
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 31st, 2018, 5:28 am

Bright clear and sunny out of my big bedroom window but clouds lurking out of the other one ! Better go and water the GH, a tinge of orange on a couple of tomatoes - just as well, my shop bought ones have nearly gone. My friend and I did snaffle one each of the hanging basket ones on Saturday - straight off the vine, so sweet and tasty.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 31st, 2018, 7:25 am

Dull and cloudy but not cold. There was a brief but firesome thunder storm in the night and lots of rain. Yep back in Blighty. Feeliing distinctly wobbly. It was a bit (or rather, a lot) of a journey.

Ah sun just poking thorugh the dark grey clouds.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 31st, 2018, 8:35 am

Good morning
I woke up at 5am when there was a full on thunderstorm, so I adjusted some windows and went back to sleep. By 8 we had baking sun, but I can see from the puddles we have finally had a useful amount of water.
Out for lunch so better have another :mug: and get washed and dressed
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2018, 10:18 am

A dramatic storm first thing this morning has cleared the air a bit ... it's warming up but doesn't feel as muggy as the last few days, even with the gusty breeze that we had .... and BBC radio services have been restored after at least half an hour off air ...

I've made the falafel for supper and pulled a few golden beet from the garden ... I'll roast them a bit later. Now it's time for :mug: and a bit of noodling.

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 31st, 2018, 6:34 pm

Good whatever, everyone.
No thunderstorms here, thank goodness, as i’m In the middle of a field, just a spot of rain overnight and sunny for most of the day.
Have a good evening, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » August 6th, 2018, 8:16 pm

suffolk wrote:

That's my first thought too ... named because of the similarity of its leaves to Rowan (aka Sorbus).

Thank you. I wasn’t 100% convinced at first because the flowers were slightly different, but now it’s on it’s third ( :o :shock: :D ) flowering, I think you were both right. :D

Not very sunny here today, but still very hot and stuffy.
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » August 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm

suffolk wrote:

That's my first thought too ... named because of the similarity of its leaves to Rowan (aka Sorbus).

Thank you. I wasn’t 100% convinced at first because the flowers were slightly different, but now it’s on it’s third ( :o :shock: :D ) flowering, I think you were both right. :D

Not very sunny here today, but still very hot and stuffy.
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » August 7th, 2018, 7:36 am

good morning, all.
it has just rained. the forecast is for no more today - which is good as there's loads of washing to go out.
the cats are glad we're back (a vole was donated to our food stock) and so am i. there was a long soak in a perfumed bath last night.
i need a coffee before heading off to feed and water the local young's cat then head off to yoga.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2018, 9:12 am

Good morning all :D Welcome back Scully :wave: :mug:

We've been listening to green woodpeckers yaffling around us all morning ... think the dry lawns round here must be full of ants.

Now I'd better get out there and pick runners and courgettes and find something to do with them .....

Have a lovely day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 8th, 2018, 7:00 am

good morning, all.
sunny-ish.at the mo.
thank you. being clean is so good - or is it a clean loo is so good?!
or both.
off to cat feed then being dropped at the farm - my partner needs the car.
have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2018, 10:12 am

good morning
We appear to have a normal British summer morning - warm, not hot, bit of breeze few clouds. So far not enough rain to get excited about

Few plans for the rest of the week other than starting to sort out my paperwork mountain - really couldn't face it in th eheat

have a good, (clean) day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2018, 10:44 am

A good shower overnight and a fresher morning ... a bit of weeding has been done (more to do) and a big bunch of Swiss chard picked for a pie I'll make this afternoon. Now for a :mug: and more weeding ...

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2018, 12:59 pm

good aftermorning, all.
sunny - there was a quick shower early on but that soon disappeared.
i woke at about half seven then went back to sleep until nine - catching up slowly on last week's lost sleep.
had to rush out to cat feed (i'm pretty sure they're back today), tripod up a couple of currant tomato plants that were beginning to scramble towards a pathway, dig up some young passion flower pants and home again.
i'm now on the lookout for some large, deep pots in which to plant horseradish. i have a fair number of young plants, from the chunk dug up from the walled garden a few weeks ago, one or two of which i will keep but don't particularly want to plant in the garden. my intention is to plant it in soil that will be easy to extract it from when i want to make more sauce but without it becoming invasive!
minack tonight is 'sweeny todd'. i'm not making pastys. we have some bread being baked by the sun and a giant tub of guacamole in the fridge. i may check if there's some hummus in the freezer. that will have to be enough!
have a good afternoon, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Good afternoon
We have real rain. Proper puddles and gurgling gutters
Need to check the drain on the back roof

Supposed to be doing stuff but really just watching the rain

Have a good day everyone q
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Good evening all :D

Been to the seaside in the rain meeting up with Bro and collecting Aged Ps' ashes.

Scully ... best thing for growing horseradish ... one of the shorter plastic dustbins with drainage holes drilled in the bottom.

Have a good evening all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 10th, 2018, 6:01 am

Bright clear and cool(er) but the sun is still shining.

My horseradish grows in the shingle at the back of the GH and we brought it with us from Hampshire not knowing that Wiltshire was known for HR growing wild on the verges by the roadside.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » August 10th, 2018, 7:50 am

good morning, all.
we have had a good downpour with more to follow. i may get caught in it down at the walled garden. there could well be a bit of hoeing to do today. i also have to be the bearer of bad/sad news while there. i'll take tissues with me.
i'm hoping lidl still have their pasteis de nata - i'm getting withdrawal symptoms. - maybe i should check and pick some up on the way just in case they run out!
sweeney todd, i'm sure, was very good. the cast was large, the set was very good (and quite elaborate) the singing, when we heard it, was also very good - unfortunately the music was far too loud (especially the screaming trumpets - unpleasant at the best of times), drowning out most of the words and some of the actual singing. there were times that i had to cover my ears. i would have thought that they would have got the sound levels right - i doubt that they needed to amplify the music anyway, even to the top terraces but definitely not to the lower ones.
wolf hall is next week.
i have just realised that i have two, very large, black, tree pots that have some rhubarb plants in at the moment they will be ideal for the horseradish. i only remembered them when the picture of the short dustbins entered my brain - thanks. i suppose that i could also use some piled up tyres, too - even easier to take apart to harvest the roots.
time for a coffee and prepare myself for the off.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2018, 8:53 am

The pots sound ideal, or yes the tyres would suit horseradish a treat Scully :tu: It grew all along the bank between the veg garden and an arm of 'the moat' at the farm when I was a child ... Pa would be sent out to dig up a root on a Sunday morning when beef was on the menu ... he knew then he'd be weeping into his moustache a little later when putting it through the Spong mincer in the back kitchen :lol:

Hmm ... seems like the Minack need some good sound engineers ... maybe I should send DS and his colleague down there ;)

A bit of a Simpsons sky this morning, sunshine and a fresh breeze ... lovely.

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Good afternoon
Woke late, rushed out for a hair cut (well overdue)
We have had overcast but warm followed by dazzling sun followed by a cloudburst - all in the 70 minutes I was out
Will have lunch, do some bits and bobs, then go to the supetmarket, early Friday evening is s good time to go round her as it’s the Jewish sabbath
Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 10th, 2018, 8:29 pm

suffolk wrote:he knew then he'd be weeping into his moustache a little later when putting it through the Spong mincer in the back kitchen

the load i processed a couple of weeks ago was done wearing a diving mask - i wish i'd worn the snorkel, too, as the effect that would have been on the eyes transferred itself to the throat and made my nose run into the mask - most alluring!

suffolk wrote:Hmm ... seems like the Minack need some good sound engineers ... maybe I should send DS and his colleague down there

i think they'd bought their own with them - the sound balance there is usually very good.
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » August 10th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Hope the bad news isn’t too bad for everyone Scullion.
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » August 11th, 2018, 8:30 am

good morning, all.
rain is forecast for the whole day and there's a brisk breeze. i rather like the variation.
the news was accepted with a more pragmatic (i'm not sure that's quite the right word for this sort of occasion but can't think of the emotional equivalent at the moment) approach than others may have thought.
hswk is on the cards for today. stuff still needs putting away from last monday's return and the windows could do with a wash.
i'll do it 'dreckly' - the less urgent form of mañana.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » August 12th, 2018, 8:31 am

good morning, all.
i think the rain has stopped. we've had a thorough drenching. i wonder how far down, into the soil, it's gone. i bet it's not as far as i would hope/want. we have the odd shower predicted for today.
more hswk is todays occupation. at some point i have a lupin to plant (i wish the song 'dennis moore' didn't enter my head whenever the word 'lupin' entered my ear/eye). i don't know what colour it is - i bought it for £1.50 at the side of the road. i hope it fits in with the colour scheme.
have a relaxed day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 12th, 2018, 9:02 am

The rain has stopped here too ... but I think we'll be getting some more later ... the butts are full but the ground is dry as a bone beneath the surface.

I'd forgotten about Dennis Moore ... now I have an earworm :rolleyes: :lol:

Just waiting for some bread to prove ... OH went shopping yesterday ... 'nice bread' was on the list ... he came back with a sweet loaf full of raisins ... delicious :chops: but for some reason he doesn't want his lunch of poached eggs on it, even if I toast it ... :lol:

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop