good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » August 27th, 2018, 9:59 am

Good morning all :D

Interesting that the technological wizardry of Apple doesn't allow them to make an appointment more than a week ahead, so that when I phoned at 10am this morning they can only move my tomorrow's appointment as far forward as 10am next Monday ... not to the same time next Tuesday ... as the nice chap with the lovely Irish brogue said 'technology eh? :rolleyes: '

Bright and breezy here ... not a lot that must be done today as the second half of yesterday's spatchcocked chicken will be turned into something for supper this evening ... I shall head for the studio ...

Apparently we may have a young man sleeping on an air mattress in the sitting room this evening ... he'll be taking down a rig at an openair venue for DS today/tomorrow and may not have anywhere to crash ... I knew him when he was at primary school and DD was nanny for him and his brothers while his mum was very ill and after she died ... haven't seen him much since tho ... hope he's still the nice quiet chap he used to be :D

Have a good day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 27th, 2018, 11:01 am

the one i have was a 'special' from lidl. it's a plastic one - white body black handle. inexpensive but functions well, looks like this one - i'm pretty certain it was a vacu-vin one but they are of a different design now (and more expensive).

salamanca is pretty flat and largely un-cobbled - stone flagged but not small cobbles, so should be ok.
there are a few flights of steps but they aren't really in the areas that i would assume you would go to on a day visit (which i would imagine would be based between the plaza mayor and the cathedrals).
the university and the cathedrals can be reached from the plaza by walking along the 'rua mayor' - if you carry on from there you can get to the 'casa lis' - a wonderful art nouveau building filled with an amazing collection of art deco items. there's a good covered market next to the plaza.
depending on which day you go you should be able to get in to one of the attractions for free.
the tourist information office in the plaza mayor (if it's still there) has all the information - and a good audio walking tour that you can hire.
i would go back for a visit in a heartbeat! in a week you can, un-hurriedly, go round all the 'attractions' for free - and sit for leisurely chocolate a la taza con churros in the plaza and watch the world go by. i'm sure you'll love it.
if you want me to post some photos i'll hunt them out.
Last edited by scullion on August 27th, 2018, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 27th, 2018, 11:06 am

Thanks for both bits of info scullion I’ll be talking to her later
I will research the pineapple thingummy too.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 27th, 2018, 11:52 am

OH tells me that Pro-cook-s pineapple corer/slicer is £2.99 :D but of course, unless there's a shop locally postage is going to virtually double that.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 28th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Good aftermorning ;) Phew, I've had a busy bank holiday week-end .. Saturday morning started with an outdoor Pilates/stretch class … then home to spend the day with Bella the latest foster fur baby. Saturday evening went for a nice meal (shared fish platter) with the weekend man, then later went to see a live band at a local pub. I quite enjoyed the band, but the weekend man is really picky with live bands.

I did lunch on Sunday of my favourite 'go to' dish of Moroccan Chicken for Dave and another friend, then we headed off to see the latest Mama Mia film at Pinewood Studios cinema .. .. thoroughly enjoyed by everyone.

Yesterday I visited a garden open via the NGS garden scheme and bumped into PepperPig ;) :tu: … This garden is part of land and a house alongside our local church and used to be part of the estate of the Countess of Derby … a great transformation from the days when my dad and his brother kept pigs in the orchard and later my uncle and his wife ran the garden as a plant nursery, supplying the gardeners of the village as well as those keeping the cemetery round the church looking good.

I'm now in the shop having a rest ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » August 28th, 2018, 9:05 pm

How's PP doing Patsy?

Say hi and give her my best wishes please when you're next in contact. Thanks.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 29th, 2018, 8:10 am

Moring. It's absotuley pissing it down ehre. I am working from home while I have tree people doing things. (I asked them if the rain affects the work, and they said no, except insofar that it's unpleasant.)

I am having three trees attended to - general maintenance - and the apple tree felled :( it's almost horizontal and has a fungal infection. One of the guys has picked me a final bucket. It turns out it's an eater, and we have just been trying to eat the apples when not ripe.

Not sure if I can replace it because of the area being prone to flooding. Feeing a bit sad about it.

So. I will be cooking apples, I think, very soon. (I am not going to get through them raw before they start to decay.) I need another freezer. (And I would get a small one, but there isn't really anywhere to put one.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 29th, 2018, 8:29 am

Good morning
Definitely autumnal at the moment, but apparently going to pick up for the weekend
Really need to get out and pick herbs to freeze but not while they are soggy

Always a shame to lose a tree but sometimes it has to be done Herbi. Had two cut down just before the infamous hurricane, so relieved they had gone and couldn’t do any damage by coming down uncontrolled

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 29th, 2018, 8:57 am

I know... ah well. Lily used to like to climb this tree (it wasn't hard!)

30994943533_ee8eb79f34_z.jpg

RIP apple tree.

I have three calls from Indian Call centres so far this morning. :evil:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 29th, 2018, 9:10 am

:wave: Lily
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 29th, 2018, 9:18 am

:D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » August 30th, 2018, 12:11 am

Good morning, all.
Well, literally, it is!
The offering at the minack on Tuesday evening was brilliamt. A musical extravaganza based on ' much ado about nothing '. It was performed by a company from sn'albans called ovo theatre company. It was very accomplished.My partner said that he wished everyone could have seen it.
Dropping off - I'll continue in the morning.
Nighty nigh, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 30th, 2018, 7:01 am

It was bright and sunny half an nour. Mor over cast now. Suposed to go up to 21 today, but it feels very cool right now. I am contemplating tights for the near future... :o

I am going to attempt to take Apple up on their offer oof a cheap replacement batter for my iPhone 6s today. (I have an appointment!) I hope they don't try to wriggle out of it. It's been a real pain this year on my lone days trips while abroad, running out of battery by early afternoon. I've had ot have it on flight mode to save battery.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 30th, 2018, 8:52 am

Good morning all ... blue skies here but distinctly autumnal feel in the air ... I wouldn't be surprised if I find cobwebs across the terrace when I go out there :lol:

Why is it that going away for 24 hours produces more washing than if you'd stayed at home :lol: :? plus there's some hand knitted stuff that needs a handwash today.

I will make roasted cherry tomato soup for lunch 'cos there was rain while we were away and several of the little toms have split. Supper will probably be cheese and ham pancakes in a cheesy sauce ... don't know why but I just fancy it.

Glad the Minack was good Scully :D

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 30th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Good whatever, all.
The weather is fine in South oxfordshire.
We have been to the house our upcountry young are in the process of buying in a rather lovely little village. We approve.
The visit up is for a wedding, on saturday, in 'the smoke'. We are staying with my brother, the young are all staying close to the venue. We won't be staying that late - only as late as my brother - who will be driving.
While we are out we had a piece of amazing cake - lemon polenta cake - at a tiny village shop/tea room (cafe)/gift shop, in a nearby village, on the way back. I dropped hints to the effect of who's recipe was it but I was obviously too subtle or they weren't going to say. I will find it. It had been decorated with pistachios and pomegranate seeds and was a, sort of, extra juicy lemon drizzle cake. We may have to go back next week before we return home.
I bought a bottle opener there. A small, neat, wall mounted, cast iron one - it was only £2.50. I thought it would have been more.
Have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 30th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Love lemon polenta cake :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 31st, 2018, 8:12 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny.
We are off to have a wander round Henley in a bit.
Then after lunch we'll head up to my brother's.
Have a good day, everyone.

Ps it seems i love lemon polenta cake, too!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2018, 8:31 am

This is the recipe I use Scully https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-polenta-cake dead simple and totally delicious :chops:

Have a lovely day wandering/travelling etc 8-)

I need to get on my hands and knees on the front lawn to dig out some of the huge clumps of yarrow ... but I'll probably find something more fun to do :lol:

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 31st, 2018, 1:25 pm

My friend makes the Nigella version, I quite like it. despite not really being a cake eater

Getting quite cool here as the sun hides behind the clouds, but we have had enough rain to last us for a while

Just tidying bits of kitchen at the moment
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 1st, 2018, 5:40 am

Well, after a sunny start I have now moved under an umbrella as has now started to rain. Still warm but there are a few rumbles of thunder too. It was forecast.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 1st, 2018, 8:24 am

Good morning
We have sun and I think it will last :D

Day of tidying and cooking planned, as have a friend coming over tonight
Might manage lunch outside

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 1st, 2018, 8:33 am

Yes, lovely this morning so far. Planning a day trip into not so attractive bits of Kent! (And maybe an RSPB bird place.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 2nd, 2018, 5:23 am

Sunny and breezy here at present, we shall see if the promised rain materialises. At least yesterday the rain did not last long.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » September 2nd, 2018, 9:26 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny.
The wedding was nice (- but my daughter still has my vote for the best one on all accounts).
The food was good but monotonous - hummous with baba ganoush as a starter follows by a spicy chick pea dish with a couple of thin slices of aubergine for mains (the mains for the meat eaters was a bit plate of chicken with a garnish of green beans). The double dose of chickpeas ( and aubergines) had a predictable effect. The evening nibbles buffet was better - which included a display of salad bits. I didn't know if it was designed to be eaten but there was an interesting looking tomato which I removed and kept the seeds. Checking online it looks like a purple Russian plum tomato. My tasty tomato seed collection seems to be growing!
I hope our daughter doesn't have too much of a hangover!
Better shift, we may be heading out for Sunday lunch at the pub followed by a trip to the cinema.
Have a lazy sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 11:22 am

Good noontide all :D

A busy morning so far ... I have written an impressively stern email to a business that is not providing the service paid for ... supervised OH cutting the grass and helped by hoiking rampaging courgette plants and others out of the way ... picked another load of tomatoes, made a sage and onion stuffing and peeled potatoes for roasties and am about to prep the runner beans .... the tomatoes will be roasted gently in EVOO while supper is cooking and then they will be frozen for soup/sauces later.

This afternoon I will edge some of the flower beds and do a bit of light weeding, before lounging around with a book ...

Have a lovely day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 4th, 2018, 8:52 am

Morning. Dull and cool here. There is a constant drilling? Sanding? noise going on on the building works opposite. It sounds like a dentist's 50.

Complete Dickens preview copy came in today so please but as ever nervous.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 4th, 2018, 9:28 am

Good morning
Yes grey and cool here too
Trying to get myself into moving mode to get some stuff done, need to make some phone calls, I just hate calling strangers and talking to them.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 4th, 2018, 9:37 am

Good morning, all.
Brightly overcast with a hint of better to come in south oxfordshire.
The car said it was 26°c yesterday afternoon.
Not sure what the plans are for today. There was a boat trip, a visit to the board game cafe in Oxford or a local nt property mooted but nothing decided.
It sounds like playing on the river has been decided.
Have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2018, 10:15 am

Scully, if you go past an ironmongers DIY sort of place can you pick me up a pack of 13/4 Rapesco staples ... someone has used all of mine ... the blackbirds are getting the blame ... as usual :lol: Amazon will deliver but not until next week unless I pay £46 ... for something that costs £6.99 that seems just a little excessive :shock:

Enjoy the river ... I love rivers :D

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 5th, 2018, 8:41 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny.
The river was good. A row upstream for an hour fol!owed by the return. That is a row with oars rather than a row with voices - the latter lasted for a much shorter time until our daughter gave up her novice skills and swapped positions with my partner - the obvious expert - he would never admit to being a control freak!
Off to visit the white horse in a while.
I've got the staples - I can either deliver them - I'll work out the cost for the 300 mile return journey from here or you can wait for them til you come to Cornwall ! I think even amazon will be more efficient than me.
Better get a move on.
Have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 5th, 2018, 9:39 am

Overcast. ;)
Do you not have access to a handy trebuchet Scully? There's never one around when you need one is there :rolleyes:
Amazon have informed me that the Royal Mail have my staples and they will be with me on Monday ... my guess is that they get here before then. I could have done with them today ... had I known that my plans would be changed and I'd be at home today rather than visiting DS I'd have popped out yesterday to B&Q or somewhere ....... oh well ... I'll find a way to manage without them.
DS texted 20 mins ago to say that today is suddenly manic and can I meet him for lunch tomorrow instead of visiting him this afternoon ... ?
Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 5th, 2018, 10:42 am

Good morning
Brightly overcast here, would be a good morning for a walk if I could. Haven’t been rowing in years, like my swimming it is inelegant but often effective

Instead I’ll do some admin and some laundry, I’m working through the backlog in small batches that fit on the clothes horse

Will strip my massive basil plant and make some pesto to freeze later, found the pine nuts lurking in the freezer and have the lad of the parmigiano reggiano brought back from Italy (also frozen)

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 7th, 2018, 7:37 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
home again.
drove back yesterday. a quick stop in the big swedish shop, home for a quick bite and then down to the minack. a, thankfully, short production of 'party piece'. i'm sure the farce could have been good in better hands - unfortunately it wasn't. fortunately it was short enough that the rain was avoided and only started on our way home.
down to the garden in a short while, i may get wet. this will be followed by shopping.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2018, 7:49 am

Blue skies and sunshine here
Children heading up the hill to school.
OH will be off to work shortly.
A quiet day at home for me after yesterday's trip down south ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 7th, 2018, 9:54 am

Good morning
We still have sun but think it will cloud, rain not expected until tomorrow and in time for Hackney Carnival on Sunday
Noticed how far the sun has already moved round, the door was in deep shade at 10am which it wouldn’t have been a few weeks ago
Few things to do including a gentle walk
Shame about the play scullion but at least you stayed dry

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 8th, 2018, 10:15 am

good morning, all.
brightly overcast at the mo.
i'm having a lazy day - i might do something - i might not, although i have some purple sprouting, cauliflower and chard seedlings to pot on so i suppose it's not such a lazy day - well, i suppose that's not very strenuous is it‽
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 8th, 2018, 10:19 am

Good morning
It’s a tad nippy here and quite overcast will continue to make slow progress with laundry and walking

I may be getting to the stage where I can’t justify leaving thevthe housework any longer

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 9th, 2018, 7:16 am

good morning, all.
sunny - which is a good job as i forgot to put out the load of washing in the machine, done yesterday.
off to a ceramics meeting in an hour so i should get my bum in gear.
I'm a bit tired, not helped by a needy cooking fat yowling outside the bedroom door while it was still dark and after not getting to sleep until half way through the night. i think an early night will be had, tonight.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2018, 9:24 am

Sunny here too, with a brisk-ish breeze.

OH is off to work today (and Mon and Tues) as it's Stocktaking ... I've got a partially completed canvas to stretch so with plenty of space in the studio, today will be a good opportunity.

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2018, 11:02 am

Good morning
We had some sun but it’s gone. The forecast says no rain until Wednesday, but I’m not sure those clouds have been paying attention
Weighing up whether to go on a history tour of the cemetery park or not. Will wait until the last minute to decide - the meeting point is about 80 metres from here
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 10th, 2018, 10:05 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment. more washing will go out on the line soon.
the talk(s) were good yesterday and when i looked in my 'emergency purse' (a flat, pink, folding leather one), my emergency fiver was, for some serendipitous reason, an emergency twenty (the first time ever) - so i spent it on a thing of beauty (that would normally retail at fifty quid).
i have been looking at glaze books for the last coupe of hours - i need talking out of an imminent purchase, please.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2018, 10:31 am

Good morning
Started off on the history tour, quite interesting, based around the hundreds of people in common (parish) graves. Couldn’t really keep up so dropped out at the farthest point, had a little rest sitting on the bench by Betsi Cadwaladr the nurse who ran the Crimean War hospital at Balaclava watching the rats :rolleyes:
Need to get on today
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2018, 10:31 am

No good expecting me to help you resist purchasing something that is not only beautiful but useful too Scully :oops: :lol:

My staples have arrived so canvas stretching is happening (well, I've stopped for a :mug: ... but its halfway done now).

Then I'll make a cauliflower cheese for tonight and assemble a lasagne for tomorrow and after that my halo will fit :D

Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 11th, 2018, 8:07 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a fair chance of rain.
i spent a good part of yesterday potting up herb cuttings, rooted in jars of water, and filling the jars, bought from the swedish shop last week, with the opened herbs, spices etc in the cupboard - (apart from being tempted by the glaze books).
today - yoga and blood donors. i have the feeling that i may not get the ice-cream that i often treat myself to after donating - my partner is coming in to the city with me so after doing what he wants to do he will probably want to pick me up and go straight home. note the tone of resignation?
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2018, 9:38 am

Good morning
We have the icy blasts here as autumn moves in
Need to just potter on - see if I can get through today without falling asleep unexpectedly

Have a good day everyone - hope you get your ice cream scully!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2018, 10:57 am

Correspondence done and OH's hair trimmed ... I have earned a :mug:

OH is working this afternoon so I can have the studio to myself ... I made a lasagne yesterday and its in the fridge so I don't even have to make supper :D

GP told me to stop giving blood as I always passed out the next morning ... proper passing out cold for several mins ... absolutely every time ... I wonder if an ice cream would prevent that ... ;)

Hope you get yours Scully. My granny donated for years and years and years .... I would have liked to emulate her but ...... :rolleyes:

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 12th, 2018, 7:13 am

good morning, all.
raining - although the forecast from the met office says there's between a ten and five percent chance of rain today. late last night the forecast for today ranged up to eighty percent. maybe the weather is working on last night's forecast.
off to the farm in an hour. not sure i feel like going, today. i fancy doing something completely different (the last three words will always belong to monty python in my world).
i didn't get my ice-cream.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 12th, 2018, 7:19 am

Dull and drizzly here. I am wearing tights! First time since spring.

Yesterday, I was at home waiting for tree men to come and sort out my apple tree. They were no show in the end because "they were having trouble wiht a stump in Wandsworth." :)

I managed to get a lot of housework done, though, in my breaks from work. I even mopped the porch. I can count the number of times I have done that since we moved in in 2019 on one finger...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 12th, 2018, 8:24 am

Good morning
Since 2019 Herbi? Cunning :D

We have had light rain overnight, not enough to be useful. Brightly cloudy now, and set to continue that way

Need to do some clearing up and get into my audio book ready for book club on Friday

Have a good day y’all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2018, 9:34 am

Good morning :D

Doing your housework in advance Herbi ..... that's a bit extreme :shock:

Getting ready for tennis ... first time since June when my knees were still a bit dodgy ... hopefully it's not the summer break from tennis that has resulted in their current improved state :rolleyes:

I also need to buy some light bulbs ... this seems to be an increasingly complicated procedure nowadays ......

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop