good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 7th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Oh Herbi … I feel your pain about the passport .. Although my trip to Canada was for a funeral, it was also going to be a bit of a holiday … but I had a problem when I ordered my colostomy supplies .. I had been assured there was no problem with delivery 3 days before my flight, only to be told the day BEFORE my flight that they were out of stock ! The supplier did come through in the end, but not before I had an anxious few hours before they were delivered. Then on the morning of my flight, I inadvertently deleted my flight confirmation from my phone - just as I was enjoying a full English breakfast at the hotel. I immediately felt sick and couldn't finish my breakfast. Luckily I had forwarded my flight details to my daughter who was able to forward back to me. I then panicked at check in and forgot just which bag I had put my passport for safe keeping … . In the year I last flew, I hadn't realised how far technology had changed all the checking in etc. The only piece of paper I actually got was my boarding card :? :rolleyes: :oops: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2018, 4:26 pm

What a mare (I confess, I was half hoping for happy tales of passports arriving very quickly!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2018, 4:50 pm

You used to be able to go to Peterborough (and probably other) Passport Office to collect your passport in person (MIL used to work there) but I've no idea whether this is still possible ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 7th, 2018, 4:54 pm

In London you go (went? it moved?) to the central Passport Office in Petty France, near St James. I understood that was what Herbi did

ETA I looked still in Petty France, must have been just some of the admin or behind the scenes staff, including a friend, that got moved
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2018, 5:14 pm

This is the service I was thinking of ... getting it in four hours https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Ir's near Victoria station. (There are others elsewhere around the country.) The thing is, because this is (free) replacement passport for a damaged chip, I don't get to call the shots, by, for example, offering to pay more to speed it up. I was promised a one day service in my email (I wouldn't have done it had I thought it might take much longer) so I am quite upset about it. Apparently once the thing is set in motion it's not possible to do anything about it. I spoke to a very inflexible member of staff on the phone.

Rationally, it's reasonable to think it will come in time, but irrationally (which is how i feel) it's causing me a lot of stress, and I won't feel unstressed until I have it. The fact that they are posting it doesn't help. She said it didn't require a signature but it says is may on the web site... I asked if I could go and fetch it, but the person on the phone said that was up to the discretion of the office whom she couldn't speak to. She said she 'could only put a note on it' whatever that meant. I don't know whether she did this or not. There were a lot of coulds and shoulds and not many wills being bandied about.

I may ring and check the progress tomorrow (and hope I am not put through to the same person.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2018, 8:02 pm

They don't usually get you to sign for them. When I had trouble with mine it was delivered by a courier but didn't need to be signed for - but they did photograph the front door of the house it was delivered to). I do hope they sort this out for you, it's not as though it is your fault so you deserve better treatment. Everyone I dealt with in Peterborough was really kind and helpful and seemed genuinely to be doing their best ... it's the system that's inefficient.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Well fingers crossed.

Meanwhile some good news. The book won two awards!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Me in the middle.

32e3b6c8-e9d9-449c-abc7-3b8ee171ca1dnew.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 7th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Well done Herbi.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2018, 10:48 pm

:clap: :congrats: :woohoo: :cocktail: :cocktail:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 7th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Well done Herbi! Congratulations!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 8th, 2018, 8:10 am

Thank you! :bounce:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2018, 9:42 am

Great news Herbi! Well done to you all. :cocktail: :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 8th, 2018, 10:20 am

Great news Herbi …. :tu: :tu: :tu: :hug: :hug: :hug: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2018, 10:29 am

good morning, all.
wet and windy.
congratulations, herbi, that's brilliant. it's so good to have your work acknowledged.
due to a lack of staff (among other things) at the farm, yesterday, my little group was doubled. quite frustrating when there's a lack of space, facilities and equipment, a dwindling amount of clay and such mixed ability that my input is quite high.
we headed to the beach for a coffee, when i'd finished, and sat in relative quiet and serenity.
the parking charge at the beach carpark has stopped for the winter - someone has taped a large sign to the parking charge notice saying 'FREE!' in large letters. i think most locals know the dates by heart.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 8th, 2018, 10:58 am

Scully seeing your reference to clay - do you know much about Troika? I'm trying to find out about a piece that I have.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 8th, 2018, 10:59 am

Congratulations Herbi - so good to see that you are being recognised for your work.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 8th, 2018, 11:09 am

Meganthemog wrote:Scully seeing your reference to clay - do you know much about Troika? I'm trying to find out about a piece that I have.

Megan.... We have sold Troika in the (antique) shop … if you can post a photo, then Scully and we can offer our opinion ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 11:11 am

Good morning
Yesterday we had unforecast downpours, this morning we have had unforecast brilliant sun though clouding now
More sun later perhaps

Forecast to pour on Sunday though, still time for it to change

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2018, 11:23 am

i don't know much about troika - other than it's not really my taste and was made in st ives untill the early eighties.
i would more likely be able to tell you how it was made and what was used to decorate it.
google or a china expert (and eBay) will be able to tell you more about the value etc - i know there are collectors of it (not me) and that the wheel vases are/were popular.
sorry not to be much help - though if you said that you had a lucy rie pot i would be very envious!
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2018, 11:25 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:if you can post a photo, then Scully and we can offer our opinion

hahaha - better not ask for my opinion!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2018, 11:52 am

Good morning all :D

Slightly curmudgeonly this morning due to

(1) stubbed toe (now black) didn't like the weight of the duvet
(2) woken at 4 ish by two fire engines and consequent noisy activity directly outside our house (see Cbox for more info but it was a false alarm)

However, a bright breezy day with bedlinen flapping on the line is helping my mood :D

Troika was definitely around in the 60s ... my then art teacher was very keen as she knew one/some of those involved ... think it finished in the mid 80s.

OH is working this afternoon and evening as there's a special promotion and late night opening so I've made a macaroni cheese for supper when he gets back in as not being too indigestible to go to bed on (I know ... it's cooked cheese ... Ma would have said it would give us bad dreams, but it never did).

Lovely to chill out on the beach after a 'busy day' Scully ... I used to drive down to the harbour after a visit to Ma ... very soothing.

Enjoy your day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I’m not a fan of Troika myself though I do have a small piece that is definitely “inspired by” - a pal spotted it in a ceramics sale and though it would just fit into my then living room. It fitted in perfectly - so nice when people get that right :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 8th, 2018, 2:15 pm

scullion wrote:i don't know much about troika - other than it's not really my taste and was made in st ives untill the early eighties.
i would more likely be able to tell you how it was made and what was used to decorate it.
google or a china expert (and eBay) will be able to tell you more about the value etc - i know there are collectors of it (not me) and that the wheel vases are/were popular.
sorry not to be much help - though if you said that you had a lucy rie pot i would be very envious!

I must admit I had never heard of Lucy Rie - I just Googled her and now have to go through late MIL's stuff as there is certainly some that look very like her stripy ones. Looking at the auction prices I have got my finger's crossed! :lol: My lat FIL used to buy a lot of ceramics for MIL for birthdays and Christmas - started in the 50s when a lot of it was inexpensive. He probably only paid about £10 for the Troika chimney vase.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Love Lucy Rie's work ... some lovely pieces in the collection at the Sainsbury Centre at the UEA :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 9th, 2018, 10:17 am

good morning, all.
the sun is out at the moment and it's a tad breezy but the rain is coming (with an amber weather warning) very soon and with a greater than 95% chance. i won't be going down to the south today.
why did i spell lucie rie's name wrong‽ silly me i should know better! a friend was given one of her bowls as a wedding present. it was broken a short while after and she threw the bits away. if she'd realised who she was said she'd have stuck them together!
i'm being given the long stare by a cat. they have food and water so i don't know why. it can be intimidating.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 9th, 2018, 10:25 am

I really don't like it when my cat(s) suddenly look anxiously and intensely at the French windows at night. Or worse still suddenly growl and run out of the room :shock:

Having food and water is never a barrier to Basil meowing piteously at me or bashing the cat flap with his paw because he wants more/better, alas.

I got as text this morning to say that my passport will be delivered tomorrow. Relieved but not fully - will have to wait until I have it for that.

Need to ring the doctor's this morning. They only gave me a month's supply of thyroid medication last month, I assumed because i had a review coming up, so didn't query it. They have refused my request online for more, and it says I have three month's worth. I hope they won't be obstructive. Don't want to be like a wet week in Paris (now I might actually be going :bounce: ? ) sans thyroxin.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2018, 10:37 am

Good morning
We have sun!

And I have coffee which is a relief as the espresso machine has been playing up and I spent a ridiculous amount of time yesterday and it seems to have worked

Good news about the passport Herbi, and I’m sure you will be able to sort out the thyroxine - I’ve had a similar problem in the past

Today’s walk will be to the library to rejoin and to buy a poppy for Sunday

Have a good day and stay dry
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2018, 11:03 am

We have some sunshine ... but it's not very convincing ... the bed linen might have to be draped in the study unless the sun bucks his ideas up

Good news about the passport Herbi ... I'm sure they'll sort the thyroxine out ... it's amazing how many of us rely on it isn't it?

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 9th, 2018, 11:23 am

Thanks.
re the doctor's they won't answer the phone :evil: At the moment it's set up so that I have to go two miles up the road (opposite direction from train station) to collect prescriptions so I will have to take time off work to pick it up if it's not ready by tomorrow. If I scrabble around I might find enough to cover me for the next weekend.
Note to self: swap chemists'. I suppose one near work...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2018, 10:52 am

good morning, all.
the sun is shining at the moment although the met says we are having rain (80% chance of heavy rain). the downpour was so heavy at 07.45 that it woke me up. i got up to make sure that the roof wasn't leaking again.
nothing is on the cards for today other than watching the qualifying tonight but a coffee is on its way now and a plan for this afternoon may happen shortly.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 10th, 2018, 11:20 am

It's suppose to rain here later and most of tomorrow.

I am on an 8am-6pm delivery slot for passport. Husband has gone out to get my prescription. Not excuse not to catch up on housework I guess. So I just made a decoupage christmas bauble...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 10th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Good morning (nearly)

Clouding here
I want to get to the farmer's market if I can but have spent the morning sorting out my treatment schedule as they have finally mailed it to me
Basically December is eye treatments and Christmas
Deep joy

The decoupage bauble sounds a lot more fun, and probaly quite a soothing activity

I went through a small chest of draweres looking for my grandmither's medal - Serbian Order of St John (3rd Class) - given to all RAMC personnel who served in Serbia during the first World War, need to look in a couple of other placea now

This is why decluttering is so important!

Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 10th, 2018, 9:49 pm

My passport arrived! Hurray! I made a thai green curry whilst I was waiting. It did need signing for too...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 10th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Hurrah! :woohoo:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 10th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Woo-hoo Herbi! A Paris!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 11th, 2018, 7:27 am

good morning, all.
the weather is predicted to be better, today, - it's still the other side of the blind.
i am tracking a parcel. it's in bodmin with five drops to do before grant gets to me. i'd say i've got, at the very least, an hour to get ready (and have a coffee).
four visits. i'd better get up.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 11th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Oh that IS good news Herbie! :D :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 11th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Good afternoon
Well we have had warm sunshine all morning
There’s plenty of autumn colour in the trees and as we have had so much rain in the last 48 hours it smells wonderful in among the trees
Went for a stroll after the Remembrance celebration and got so many seeds of something stuck on my coat that I had to brush it outside
Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 11th, 2018, 2:12 pm

So glad about the passport Herbi! Glad you had to sign for it too. I didn't have to sign for mine and it was delivered to the wrong address :evil:. Took a month of Sundays to sort out.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 12th, 2018, 8:46 am

Thanks. I can start to get worried about travelling now! :D (and plan things. I have a rough itinerary. Pantheon, Mouffetard area, maybe a tour of the Opera House, Bon Marche food hall, new Printemps food hall... 'tis a pity the sewer museum is hsut for rennovations :) )

Talking of which I can't believe they are considering making us have a visa to travel to the EU. Even with the no more than 90 days in 180 soft version it's going to cause huge problems with husband. I don't know if he could get round it on a business visa. I think he would have to be officailly living in Germany which would mean loss of access to the NHS while he's there (not such an issue, maybe) but then for some years after his return. Maybe he won't still be there in 2020. Or maybe I will move to be with him.

I am running late this morning, and it's just started to tip it down. Wondering what to wear on my feet. Shoes are not terribly waterproof. Still some issues with my foot re buying new shoes.

Oh! It just thundered :o

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 12th, 2018, 9:06 am

Gosh, it's a lovely sunny day here.

Brexit was never going to be simple ....
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 12th, 2018, 9:35 am

Good morning
The rain, having miraculously held off for Remembrance Sunday, is back and as I typed that there was a loud and long peak of thunder

So mainly indoor stuff this morning I think

How serious is the risk of being required to get Visas? I’ve not heard much about it. We never needed them pre-EU and I’ve not needed them, or only the cash earning kind you pay £20 for at the border for most non-EU countries.

I do need to go to the timber merchant and get material for the handy man to use on Wednesday

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 12th, 2018, 11:05 am

good morning, all.
overcast with sunny patches and a bit breezy.
good news about the passport, herbi, enjoy the holiday - shame about the sewer museum!
a day of hswk, i think - when i get a round tuit ... i'm hoping the rain holds off long enough to get some washing out on the line.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 12th, 2018, 11:06 am

The sun's out now in Clerkenwell.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 12th, 2018, 11:12 am

And in N16 the thunderstorm cleared out the cloud
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 12th, 2018, 11:13 am

Yay! Car passed MOT with only a light bulb to pay for ... a couple of advisories (keep an eye on tyres and a little bit of play on wheel joints) but not bad for an old girl :tu:
Sunshine here in Norfolk too, but with occasional short sharp showers ... a bit like April but without the daffodils.
Don't get me started on the stuff that wasn't even thought about re Brexit :twisted:
Think I'll chop some veg for a stock ........ I can pretend I''m guillotining politicians :evil:
Have a lovely day folks :lol: :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 12th, 2018, 1:26 pm

And now... thunder, lightning and hail!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2018, 9:02 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment. the forecast says it's unlikely to rain today.
yoga this morning and maybe a bit of shopping needs doing this afternoon. i also need to go down to the walled garden sometime to harvest the rest of the gigantes beans. - maybe i'll leave that til the end of the week.
a book arrived through the post yesterday. it was the first two novels in the series that aero recommended in the reading thread. it was priced at £2.69 with free postage. i've just checked the cost of the postage - £2.95 for a small parcel. when you take into consideration that the vendor pays a fee to sell through abebooks (owned by amazon), too, it seems barmy.
time for a coffee.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop