good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2018, 9:56 am

Good morning all :D
Hope the cold disappears soon and the hot water is quickly sorted Herbi.
I need to check the cupboards for Christmas pudding ingredients ...

Have a good day all :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2018, 10:23 am

I rang the boiler people and they said it's a Thames Water issue. Phew!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2018, 10:24 am

Phew! Indeed Herbi ... hope it's soon resolved :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 22nd, 2018, 11:01 am

good morning, all.
chilly and breezy.
get me a coffee, please, get me a coffee - it's not working yet - get me a coffee...
they are talking about hair cutting on woman's hour i had no idea that i had so many issues that caused me to cut my hair - i thought i just got fed up with it and wanted to change the look - who knew. i've had it cut from very long to very short so many times that i must swing from one emotional 'crisis' to another every few years - who knew - not me!
it's due for a chop soon - i may even do it myself as hairdressers don't seem to enjoy cutting very long hair to very short.
it still hasn't worked, i think i'll have to get my own.
i was very confused with my job, last night. i was supposed to collect the minibus and pick up two groups of people in two places in and near truro. there was no-one in either place (yes, i did wait long enough) so went to the venue near rr just in case any of them had made their way there by other means and needed a lift home. i was expecting to be asked why people had been on the phone to ask where i was - after a while it dawned on the organiser that it had happened before - it was the festival of lights in truro last night. i should have realised that there was an inordinate amount of traffic going into truro for that time of night - silly me.
it still hasn't worked - i'll go and put the kettle and machine on.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2018, 11:30 am

I have never had my hair really really short. Not since it was short because it hadn't yet grown :) Now I am afraid that if I did cut it short, it woulnd't grow back! I loathe going to the haridressers. I put it off and off and off...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 22nd, 2018, 11:36 am

it always grows back - and i haven't been to a hairdressers since 1995 - i loath going, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 22nd, 2018, 12:33 pm

I have to get my hair cut to keep it under control .. it is thick and has a mind of it's own. :o I sometimes trim the top and sides if it gets too bad and I can't get to my hairdresser, then I make the appointment (only ever for a dry trim) and tell Jacqui to finish it off ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Amber » November 22nd, 2018, 10:12 pm

I have very thick hair too, and I love a dry trim, but my hairdresser won’t do them :( . Possibly because it’s less profit for them?
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » November 22nd, 2018, 10:15 pm

I have very thick hair too, and I love a dry trim, but my hairdresser won’t do them :( . Possibly because it’s less profit for them?
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2018, 8:08 am

Morning. It feels cold, but that might be because my boiler really has broken this morning. No heating or hot water. Have to wait until 9 to ring the company I usually use. Really rather worried. I really need to go to work today and if it can't be sorted today it will mean more time off next week which I can now ill afford. Time is running out for my philosophy chapter to be finished before Christmas (plus off to Germany next week.) In short agggh! Oh for a husband at home to help out...

So not sure what today holds.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2018, 8:20 am

And now it's come on. (I pressed the reset button but no flashing lights or anything.) What to do...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2018, 8:36 am

Is it due for a service Herbi?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2018, 8:49 am

No. It was serviced in May. It seems to be working ok now, but it was making a dreadful noise, like water in a bath going down a plug hole. Decided to wait at home until 9 and see if I can get some advice. It has been on a stay of execution for a few years. It would almost be a relief to get a new one, but now is not a good time, what with my going to Germany next week.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2018, 8:51 am

Sounds (to a total non-expert) that it may be to do with the water pressure. Is there a round gauge with a little tap you can turn to increase the water in it? If so, can you read what it is showing at the moment?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2018, 8:53 am

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2018, 8:55 am

Possibly the water level in the system was low because of the problems in the area (was it yesterday?) ... perhaps the sound you heard was just the system topping itself up with water?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 23rd, 2018, 8:57 am

suffolk wrote:Sounds (to a total non-expert) that it may be to do with the water pressure. Is there a round gauge with a little tap you can turn to increase the water in it? If so, can you read what it is showing at the moment?

I was going to suggest the same thing.... when the pressure in my boiler goes below a certain (identified) point, I have to top it up ... you should see somewhere (possibly) a flexible pipe with taps leading into 2 copper pipes 'into' the boiler (at the base?) .. one is from the cold feed (IN) and the other is the hot water (OUT) ..
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2018, 8:59 am

I think the pressure is ok. (I have been googling around.) I did wonder about the low pressure having consquences. It was ok yesterday though after the pressure was restored. Had the heating on all day. But I shall mention this when I ring.
I was up in the night the night before last - insomnia and heating milk. It made that gurgly sound then too, but I don't know whether the pressure issue had started at that point or not.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2018, 9:05 am

ok. Coulnd't really say anything other than we should get a new boiler. I shall seriously consider doing this when I get back from Germany, assuming I go.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2018, 9:10 am

I think that when there's not enough water in the system (as might happen after a mains pressure issue) that when the pump switches on (in the morning ?) you hear a gurgling sound for a while as it starts up ... once the water is pumping around then you don't hear it ... until next morning when it starts up again ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2018, 9:13 am

Good morning
Agree with Suffolk, the boiler may well need topping up to increase the pressure

However, that will only increase the pressure in the heating circuit, if you have a combi the heating system is a closed circuit is quite separate from the stream of hot water which comes through at mains pressure. In fact the pressure inside the house should have been tested when the boiler was installed and again when the shower controller was installed, if it is a thermostatic mixer valve.

Try turning on the tap at the kitchen sink full blast, and seeing if in fact there is a “blast”, it may give you a clue as to whether the pressure coming into the house is as it should be. Kitchen sink is usually the one closest to source.

Cold and miserable here, debating what to do

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 23rd, 2018, 9:28 am

good morning, all.
raining.
off to the south in a bit which will include harvesting beans and clearing up for the winter in the walled garden, heading over to falmouth to go to trago and then food shopping then up to truro (maybe) before heading home.
better get a move on - I'm due at the first on the list by eleven.
hope the boiler situation is resolved quickly (and cheaply). knowing nothing about it, could it be air in the system? as i said, know nowt as we don't have central heating.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2018, 9:31 am

Picking son up and ferrying him to Herts to pick up a car he looked at last week ... hope it's better than the last one.
Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2018, 11:21 am

It's a combi boiler so pressure from the mains. The water pressure is fine. It just didn't want to kick in at all this morning. Kept having a desultory attempt then dying again. But it was ok when I left the house... I am still going to make enquiries about a new boiler. It seems foolish to wait until it breaks, which will inevitably be when it's cold and I really need it.

My new ProCook pan was waiting for me when I got to work. It's bigger than I expected (yes I know. Doh...) Should give me incentive to make something tonight.

I was supposed to be going to the Courtauld Impressionists exhibition at the national Gallery tonight - I have a ticket, but think I had better go straight home. If anyone wants it... :) The reason I wanted to go was not a massive love of Impressionism, but a fascination with the Manet painting, A Bar at the Folies-Bergère. Was thinking of weaving some fiction around it. It's been years since I went to the Courtauld, and it's now shut for renovations so lucky that the NG are borrowing it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 24th, 2018, 10:54 am

good morning, all.
we have a yellow warning of rain for now - the sun is peeking through at the moment.
a coffee is on its way so all will be well.
a grand hswk session is needed. the vacuum cleaner has been elsewhere for a week so i've asked for it to be brought back when my partner returns to watch quali.
the new sink arrived in one piece (thank heavens), yesterday so it'll be handed on to the furniture maker soon.
i think i need to eat very little today, i had a (theoretically) medium sized pasty yesterday. i was still full at dinnertime when gluttony took over and i ate the dinner that i didn't need - followed by a pastel de nata (sainsburys is the only place i can find them now). having picked a load of japanese leaves and rocket yesterday i think that will be the basis of my eating today but i will make something more substantial for him indoors (well, sort of outdoors this morning) and try to avoid eating too much of it, whatever it is. (i, too had a fat friday!)
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 24th, 2018, 11:29 am

Taking me a while to get going today. It's dark and damp outside. No need to go out, and not much to go out for (that merits lengthy travel time - on my own again) but perhaps I should. Boiler still worryingly iffy, but working right now.
Ocado delivery this evening. Hope to try out new Prrocook pan - or at least season it.
I hope everyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 25th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Afternoon.. I hoep everyone's day is going well.

I had a tri-ply question. Do I need to season the pan? And if so how do I do it? Conflicting advice from ProCook (it tells you to season it's non-stick pans) and google results. Should I start a thread?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 25th, 2018, 4:01 pm

No the point of stainless steel is that it washes completely clean, the point of seasoning is to deposit a thin film of oil on “raw” metal
So if you did season a stainless pan, the patina would come off in the dishwasher but you might succeed in marking it
Eta: I think it’s occasionally suggested you start by heating oil and pouring it away before you wash, as this may remove residues not easily washed with water, but I think you only need to do this on pans that arrive in a protective layer of grease, stainless usually doesn’t

I walked to the studio open day and back. Sophie McCarthy has some lovely ceramics but I didn’t buy any
There was some gorgeous glass, but starting price was several hundred pounds so got none of that either

Stoped at the very good Chinese gift / home furnishing shop and looked at their mass produced glass. Think I’ll go back on Tuesday and get some for the bathroom
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 25th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Ok! Thank you very much!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 26th, 2018, 9:20 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment but the met office indicates that it will be sunny soon.
nothing specific planned for today other than an end of season social get together of the gardening group, to which a 'dish to share' will be taken.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 26th, 2018, 10:25 am

Dull here too, but dry at least. Rain predicted for the next three days. Just another day in the office for me...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2018, 10:40 am

Yes, grey and dull here
Need to get stuff up into the loft, so old clothes on and get on with it in a minute

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2018, 10:46 am

What 'dish to share' have you come up with Scully? I've got one coming up too on a very busy day :evil:. I am going to take the easy route and make a salad with tinned beans and corn and some chopped up fresh bits and a vinaigrette dressing. Actually, something I am quite fond of. I might take some hummus or something too, the vegetarian lady always moans there's not enough veggie stuff ... and I'm inclined to agree.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Good after morning all :D :mug:

Back from two visits to the supermarket ... two visits because I picked up the bags from the front hall but not my handbag with my purse ... fortunately I realised before the shopping had gone through the checkout so Customer Service just hung on to my trolley for ten minutes. :rolleyes:

Shopping put away, first pudding steaming, washing draped around a radiator and supper organised :D

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 26th, 2018, 5:49 pm

earthmaiden wrote:What 'dish to share' have you come up with Scully?

i will be doing my usual - a big bowl of hummus - i haven't been to one of the meetings where anyone else has made hummus, yet. there'll be enough people to get a good range of food, much of which will be vegetarian so even if someone else does bring some it will probably be a bit different. i'm thinking of giving it a preserved lemon and coriander twist.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » November 27th, 2018, 8:52 am

good morning, all.
dark, wet and windy. the met office says we're having a greater than 95% chance of rain for the next few hours - i think they've got that one right. prepare yourselves to get it later if you haven't already.
i was woken up, at seven, by a roaring sound that swept it's way past. if we were in that sort of area i would have thought it was a tornado or the like.
it's one of those mornings that i'm wondering if i want to venture out to yoga but i know i should.
the food last night was a really good selection - all vegetarian, all different and really tasty. there is a plan afoot to republish and extend the cookbook that the group brought out ten years ago. it's one that i will indulge myself with even if it's just for the wild rice salad that was there - and i'm not a fan of rice salad!
i ate too much.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2018, 9:21 am

Sounds lovely - do plug the cookbook if it goes ahead!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 27th, 2018, 9:29 am

We had rain overnight but it's dry-ish and bright-ish at the moment ... hope the tornado doesn't arrive for a good while Scully ... I have to drive into the Cambridgeshire Fenland this afternoon :rolleyes:

I'm also not a fan of most rice salads ... neither is DS ... ever since his primary headmaster (from Up North) held up DS's lunch container and asked (in all seriousness :shock: ) why he'd brought his fishing maggots to school ?

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2018, 10:58 am

Good morning
Dry and bright currently, the weather is set to reach us later so better get out soon, need to go back to the Chinese shop and buy my bits for the bathroom.

Other than that, just need to get on a bit with routine stuff
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 27th, 2018, 11:12 am

Just started to rain here. Glad I swept up the leaves and went for my run early. :)

Hope you have a successful shop for bathroom bits Sue :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 28th, 2018, 8:14 am

good morning, all
it's blowing a hooley out there but, thankfully, the rain has eased off for a while.
i have a bisque kiln to unpack and the ware brought across the farm yard for glazing. it will then be carried back for firing again. i'm not looking forward to it. i may have to do the carrying myself to make sure it all gets there in one piece - i often expect it not to get to the kiln at the best of times!
better move, i need coffee and a shower.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 28th, 2018, 8:20 am

Very dark here this morning. Rain predicted today and tomorrow.
I keep getting phone call sfrom what my phone thinks is an international number, but which google says is a Manchester number. It goes dead when I answer it. I had one at 7.15 am and another just now. Also one last night quite late. So much for my allowed half hour lie in! But more than that I find them a bit unnerving. First thought is always that something has happened to my mother. Second is... are they ringing to see if I am in our out?! (I doubt it, but it's the second thought.)
A few things to do in prep for my trip to Germany tomorrow. Half dreading it. Husband has pretty much told me he will be in a terrible mood and I will probably regret coming :shock:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 28th, 2018, 8:54 am

Good morning
Not actually raining here yet, but damp, dark and dreary
Need to head out, a meeting this morning, an eye appointment this afternoon, think the intervening time will be spent in John Lewis on Oxford Street, need to look at a few things

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 28th, 2018, 9:38 am

Herbidacious wrote:I keep getting phone call sfrom what my phone thinks is an international number, but which google says is a Manchester number.

Don't suppose you've ever ordered anything from Laithwaites Wine have you Herbi? Sounds very familiar if so. :rolleyes:

Hope trip goes well... :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 28th, 2018, 10:04 am

We have heavy drizzle here, builders did turn up ! I have gone back to bed and my throat is like the bottom of a parrots cage, with half a voice, that hurts to talk. My ears are giving me grief but I do have a fluff to boot !

Mr. Z has gone to do the euro deal....but without the coffee and cake as he has a tickley throat too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 29th, 2018, 10:26 am

Morning. Off to Deutschland this afternoon. A little anxious, of course. Lufthansa have now changed the flight details so flying into the terminal that takes an hour to get from :evil: Only reason for flying with them was to avoid this and speed up the very long journey. Ah well. I also managed to book a Heathrow Express ticket going in the wrong direction :twisted: Doh.

I hope everyone has a good day.

r
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 29th, 2018, 11:04 am

good morning, all.
raining and a little breezy. the wind, which woke me up for a second day running at about five thirty, has dropped from the sixty mile an hour gusts to about thirty - almost normal!
well, the rain has started to thunder it down. i think there will be a few more floods around.
hope your trip isn't too arduous, herbi.
have a good day everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2018, 11:57 am

Roof ridge fixed, shopping in the city done and a quiche has been made ... I can take credit for one out of the three :D
Wind getting up here now, but at least it's brighter than it was. Hope the trip goes well Herbi :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 29th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Thank you! Off in 23 minutes ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2018, 12:10 pm