good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » January 16th, 2019, 8:04 am

good morning, all.
i'm assuming it's overcast - it's still dark - another half hour to sunrise.
i didn't want to wake up this morning it's a good job i set three alarms. they go off at slightly different times and i stop two and let the one with birdsong (on my phone) keep snoozing until i'm really awake or need to get up. i'll give myself another few minutes.
off to the farm in an hour. first job - empty kiln; always the good bit. it was rather jam-packed so there'll be about three kiln loads of glazing from this bisque firing.
the news headlines have just been read on the radio - i think we are living in the chinese curse of interesting times.
have as good a day as you can, everyone.

ps. ten minutes to sunrise now.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 16th, 2019, 8:23 am

Yes it was rather dark this morning still when I woke at 7.45. Quite fast moving low cloud.

Husband is coming home today (he's going back on Monday) primarily to be here for the boiler installation, it seems. We are not really prepared. They will need access to all radiators for a power flush as well as laying new gas pipe down the side of the house but sort of indoors. Toinght is not going to be a nice relaxing one, I fear. They arrive at 8am and are coming on Friday too I shall enjoy a lie in on Saturday if it's possible!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 16th, 2019, 8:58 am

Good morning
Definitely on the dark side here given it’s an hour after sun rise
Going to the first meeting of local macular society support group this morning, better get a wiggle on, need to catch the 09.43 train and try not to miss it, I tend to think that’s 2 minutes after the quarter but of course it’s 2 minutes before and as it’s less than 4 minutes walk to the platform it makes a difference

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 17th, 2019, 8:00 am

Morning. Up sine 7 this morning :shock: Waiting for the boiler man.
Was raining. Sun is forecast though. (Ha! typed 'sin' then... That too, probably.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 17th, 2019, 9:56 am

Good morning
Enjoy the sin Herbi ;). Hope the boiler installation is proceeding smoothly

We have sun here, bit of a contrast with yesterday when it was dark and drizzly all day with the occasional downpour, I had to nip out between the deluges and unblock the gutters as a couple of weeks of dry weather had loosened the clumps of moss on the roof and the rain washed them down. The gutters on the east side are easy to reach but I’ll have to look at the West side, but those are gullies not gutters and don’t block so easily.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 17th, 2019, 11:23 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i ordered some stuff from amazon last night. i knew one of the items had £2.99 unavoidable postage but all the others were 'free delivery'. amazon wanted to charge me £7.99. i removed all the books i had put on the list (that i would like but which aren't 'necessary') and that amazon kept pointing out that - five pounds more will get free delivery - one pound more will get free delivery. it never happened. so i removed all the books, kept just the original two items and paid the £2.99.- all of the books said they had free delivery. i took off and added them one at a time and it made no difference to the £7.99. i wonder how many people get caught like that. amazon got half the order they would have for that, last night. i'm wondering that if i put the book order in now the extra five pounds would disappear and they would have the free delivery - - - yes it did. naughty amazon!
(and yes i had clicked on the free - not prime - delivery).
my guilt in aiding amazons tax avoidance/evasion is firmly in place. the fact that i've put less car pollution into the atmosphere, wasted fewer non renewable resources and given employment to a low paid worker doesn't do much to lessen the guilt.
i will have to get my own coffee. my partner is on a trans-continental conference call - i'm sure he'd like a cuppa, too.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 17th, 2019, 11:41 am

:evil: :evil: I ordered some books from Amazon yesterday - I feel huge guilt every time. They stink.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Good day all ... we started the day with heavy rain, then bright sunshine ... now we have gusty wind and snow swirling about and the sky’s gone quite dark. It’s 5C and looks horrid out there ...

Bits of hswk have been done and a lunch of oddments that needed using up from the back of the fridge has been
eaten. Supper will be roasted squash risotto and everything is prepped so it’s an afternoon on the sofa getting on with OHs Aran jumper ... Ive had requests for at least two more :shock: from DD and SSIL so it’s a good job I’m enjoying the pattern. :D

Have a good afternoon everyone :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 17th, 2019, 1:18 pm

I have Amazon Prime... :)

When I left this morning the boiler thing was already getting complicated. Nice middle aged man who showed me pictures of deer in his garden, now he's moved out of London, came to assess and quote. originally. This morning two early-20-something geezers turned up and immediately started tutting and sucking their teeth. Well they didn't actually do that, but that was the general gist of it. Their boss then turned up. (He looked and sounded like a shorter, glabrous version of the main character in the tv version of Jake Arnott's The Long Firm ;) ) He was also all but sucking his teeth. 'It would be much better if the gas pipe went through the house, under the floor boards, rather than around the house as arranged'. Of course he wouldn’t pull up the (newishly and expensively sanded, varnished and polish, and gaps filled in) floor in the sitting room, or the 'laminate' (solid oak) floor in the kitchen. They could (possibly) go through the hall and under the slate tiled downstairs bathroom. Oh and could they fit a wireless thermostat rather than the wired one I had been quote for (and which I had researched.)?

Sigh.

I feel very guilty about inflicting this all on husband - stresswise and costwise.

I suppose I will need to start feeding husband now he's sort of back :o He would love your risotto, Suffs. (And indeed so would I, but he is a big risotto fan.)

I could do with an afternoon on the sofa, but perhaps in a horizontal position. With a pillow and blanket. Oh heck. Make that bed.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2019, 1:31 pm

I’ll make a couple of extra portions and lob them in your direction Herbi :chef:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 17th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Thanks! I am starving. Boiler people still here. They couldn't get the hot water to work...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Brrr! This is not the weather for a cold shower ... hope for good news in the morning. Sleep tight.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 18th, 2019, 7:25 am

Just looked at the weather for today.... seems we have sleet coming in at close of play this evening..... :o

Good luck with your hot water Herb. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » January 18th, 2019, 10:07 am

good morning, all.
raining and breezy but we are forecast a bit of sun this afternoon.
other than a bit of 'wall work' there's nothing planned for today. i do have to design a teapot though.
i have some young spring cabbage plants that should have gone into the ground a month (or two) ago. if i write it here it might shame me into getting round to doing it soon.
hope your gasworks are completed swiftly and cleanly (and correctly), herbi.
a coffee would be good now.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 18th, 2019, 10:20 am

Thanks all. It is jolly cold this morning. Fortunately they did get it working.eventually. (Called in a more experienced member of the team.) Apparently they had made all sorts of bloops during the day, one of which involved a gas leak, so glad the senior guy checked things over. I think the hot water thing was them plumbing it back in the wrong way round... They need to come back and flush out the radiators and make good some other stuff. Rather peeved that they seem to have knackered the front door a bit. They drilled a hole through the porch to fit a new gas pipe and it seems to have altered the way the door hangs (? At any rate, it's sticking. Have not had a clear answer re whether they will fix this.
The poor cats were terrified all day and it smells like one of them weed somewhere :o Foolishly put the cat litter downstairs, and they were too scared to come down.
Looks ok out (as far as I can see) now. I really should have brought my camera, for a lunch time session, in as I planned to...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 19th, 2019, 11:36 am

good morning, all.
wet but quite still. the met says that the sun may peek out, during the wet, in half an hour or so.
why has my computer decided that the quite and peek in that sentence should have red lines underneath? it suggests that quite should be quiet and has no suggestion for the peek. the spell checker needs a spell checker.
my partner did his tax return last night. i said i'd do mine the next time it rained - looks like today's the day.
have a better day than me, everyone!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 19th, 2019, 11:48 am

Good morning all :D

The day started with frost and coffee ... we've progressed to sunshine and coffee :D

Birds have been fed, floors swept and mackerel prepped to bake with lemon, bayleaves and rosemary for tonight's supper ... I have a bunch of cheery daffs in a jug on the table and the day looks good from here :D

Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 19th, 2019, 12:01 pm

we have daffodils out in the garden. just the small flowered, multi headed, pale narcissus type that smell amazingly. they last all through the daffodil season and are one of the last to finish. really good value - not that we bought them!

ps. one of the items i ordered, in the early hours of the 17th, from amazon arrived yesterday in the post. i have taken to buying coffee (lavazza decaf) through them as it's over a pound a packet cheaper than tesco (£24 for a pack of eight).
amazon said the delivery would be on the 26th.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 19th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Afternoon
Been to the Farmers market so I have an onion squash, a swede, and some ultra local honey.

Debating whether to go out again to the shops, think I’ll have to as don’t have veg for tonight
No rain forecast for several days here, and some sun tomorrow so I might go on the Missionaries tour of the cemetery park tomorrow, see if uncle George features

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 20th, 2019, 10:07 am

good morning, all.
the sunshine that the met office promised last night has been removed - but there's a flash of it out there at the moment. they haven't said it'll rain so that's good.
the tax return has been done. we have said (yet again) that we'll do them as soon as they are due, this year. let's see if that happens.
we are off to lunch with a group of friends, today. we usually meet up for a christmas dinner every year but this year the people who host it are living in a 'caravan' while their new house is being built and others had family and health problems so it's a new year, 'out' to lunch. we've eaten at the venue in newquay before so know what to expect. they are very good at catering for a whole load of vegetarians and vegans.
we may go and see how the house is coming on on the way home.
we did the unimaginable, last night. we started watching the scandi series that finished, on bbc4, last night. we sat through the first episode and a half, lost the will to live, i asked my partner if he'd invested too much time in it and skipped to the last episode and a half that was being broadcast last night. i think it was based on 'then there were none', the agatha christie story (renamed for political correctness). it could have been reduced to a couple of episodes rather than the eight that were broadcast. it was a quick way to empty a bit of the humax.
the kettle has gone on.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 20th, 2019, 10:29 am

Good morning
We have brilliant sunshine but it’s definitely on the chilly side - probably only a thought above freezing still.

The builders seem to be pottering around next door, Lord knows what they are doing in this cold

Need to do some clearing up then go out on the walk. I should clean some windows but it’s too cold and the builders have said they will clean the kitchen window as they have got a lot of mess on it.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 20th, 2019, 11:51 am

A beautiful bright frosty morning ... thick ice on the pond and the birdbath and the grass is crunchy under my feet ... DS was in the area yesterday and having worked through the night stopped in here for a few hours sleep before driving back to the boat so bedding has been washed and is on the line in the sunshine ... first time I've hung washing outside for ages as our back garden is low and is in the shade a lot of the time in the winter, but today I think it'll get an hour or so of sunshine which will help :D

Supper is prepped and in the slow cooker ... time to tackle dividing the neckline on this Aran pattern ... did I say I like a challenge? :lol:

Have a lovely day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 20th, 2019, 12:27 pm

It's lovely here, weatherwise. I have just been doing a bit of mending, sitting in the sun, and acatually felt too hot :) Should get out there and manufacture a bit of vitamin D.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 21st, 2019, 11:02 am

good morning, all.
bright with some cloud.
i'm late to wake this morning but not as late as i'd like.
we had the perfect view of the moon, last night. it was the clearest and starriest i've seen the sky for a long time - the stars didn't even twinkle. we went to bed sometime after five. i think i may have to have an early night, tonight.
nothing planned for today, thank goodness.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 21st, 2019, 11:33 am

Good morning
Overcast here all night, which is a shame as my front step would be one of the best places from which to watch

Managed to oversleep anyway and feel better for it

Need to do some stuff, then go out to backgammon at a new venue, just another pub about the same distance away as as the other but a nicer walk.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 21st, 2019, 11:58 am

Frosty this morning. Lots of ice about. But nice and sunny now.
Need to knuckle down and get lots of work done today.
I woke up at 3am and did, half asleep, look for the moon, but couldn't find it! Didn't try very hard.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2019, 1:05 pm

Good after-moon ;)

Thick cloud cover last night so no eclipse seen here. :( and we had a sharp frost which is still lingering, now accompanied by thick fog rolling in. Not at all nice.

Loads of birds in the garden ... what’s the betting they all disappear as usual as soon as the Big Garden Birdwatch starts. :rolleyes:

The bathroom has been given a wipe over in readiness for the plumber when he visits to fix our loo flush ... but as he’s not returned my call yet the bathroom may need more attention before his visit.

Enjoy the rest of the day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 21st, 2019, 6:16 pm

Evening all ;) quite a busy day for me that involved a bit of a snooze this afternoon, hence my first visit here this evening. Zumba first thing, then rush home to let in a fridge/freezer/dishwasher engineer … My fridge has been morphing into a freezer over the last few days :? :rolleyes: From our local fb page, I got the name of an engineer who said he was free …. As it happens, he also knew about dishwashers, so, after reassuring me that he didn't think there was much wrong with my fridge that de-frosting the freezer below wouldn't put right, then took a look at the dishwasher. Remember I had been advised it was probably unrepairable due to it's age ? Eric took a look inside and thought the problem was probably the heater unit .. so he did a test, confirmed it and said he can repair it for £90 including parts. To come out and do the diagnostics on both pieces of equipment, he charged £45. Money very well spent I think :tu: :bounce:

Oh and Bo the dog has been adopted - much to my relief :bounce: :tu: While she had love to give in spades, I was finding it hard to cope with the wees and poos in the house, the constant demand for attention and the worry of leaving her alone in the house when I went to the shop …

I needed 40 winks when all the excitement died down ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2019, 7:14 pm

Sounds like a day well spent Patsy :D

The plumber is coming tomorrow afternoon on his way back from a job in the next village. :D :tu:

Feet are up, knitting on my lap ...I’m onto the sleeves now :D

Have a lovely evening everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 22nd, 2019, 8:47 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a hint of damp.
yoga this morning, possibly a coffee with my son's partner after. nothing much else planned.
i still need a catchup on the sleep i lost looking at the moon.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2019, 11:48 am

Good morning
Brilliant sun again though we had a good sharp shower around midnight, slightly surprising, BBC weather said we might get some rain but unlikely

Still very cold though

I have my first vase of daffs, they opened overnight, lovely. The daffs on Uncle George’s grace over the road have great fat buds on them, really early, I have usually failed to have ordinary daffs in flower for St David’s day in Stokey

Meeting the WI Ladies for coffee late afternoon, think I’ll pop to the shops for a few bits in a mo, to get out into the sun.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 23rd, 2019, 8:19 am

good morning, all.
cold. the met says it's about 6-7°c with the feeling of 1-2°c with wind chill factor.
we have a bit of red sky at the moment but that's fading as the sun is starting to rise.
off to the farm soon one of the jobs i have to do, while helping the guys, is to make a teapot and a couple of latte mugs (it won't all happen today. i may have to bring clay home to do it (more time would have been a good idea - and i doubt i'll get paid extra for my making).
but i need a coffee first.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2019, 9:25 am

Tennis today and a bit of food shopping ... sun is shining, sky is blue and the birds are queuing up at the feeders ... the blackbirds were waiting impatiently on the frosted grass for their chopped apple, sultanas and rolled oats when I came downstairs half an hour later than usual :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2019, 9:57 am

Good morning
The overnight snow has pretty much gone apart from a sprinkling of ice granules, as far as I can see from the windows. I expect there is some lingering in the cemetery park among the trees though

Need to get on with bits and pieces, then out tonight.

According to the forecast currently 2C out there but there’s both wind and sunshine, so I bet it feels taters out there.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2019, 10:04 am

I’ve been out to de ice the car ... pavements are slippery so I’ll not walk to tennis (don’t want to risk my knee) and I need to pick up some bits from W’rose ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2019, 1:13 pm

am currently sitting on the bottom step (aka the ‘sulky Step’ when I was growing up. NOT the naughty step) while the boiler man flushes the radiators and ‘makes good’. I am otherwise working from home. Epistemology and dinosaurs. Possibly an African folk tale but probably won’t have time. Nice and varied.
Dull and cool outside.
I hope everyone’s day is going well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2019, 8:33 am

Really lovely sky this morning. Lots of borken cloud with the sun shining through. It must be nice to be in a place on this kind of day at this time of day.
Sleet forecast in the next couple of hours though. If I had tome I'd get out there now with my new swirly lens - it looks dull/rainy for the next few days alas. Of course, if I had time aka a day off, I'd still be in bed...
Reworking the causal theory of knowledge today as quickly as possible. Apparently the owner of the company has strong opinions on the content/direction of this book and wants to have a meeting to brief us it :o (This is very unusual and pretty damned scary.) We will get no warning, I think.

I hoep everyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2019, 8:57 am

:scared: :terrified: :scared: Good Luck Herbi … :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2019, 8:59 am

good morning, all.
overcast. the met says it's back up to 10°c (with a feel like of 6°c) - i don't like the cold unless there's snow but we rarely get that. we have had one frost so far this winter but as someone on the radio (or the box) said the other day 'we are a third of the way through winter' - so we may yet get some snow next month.
the electrician comes today for a rewire.
coffee is on its way.
lazy boy cat is asleep, stretched out down the middle of the bed. fluffy girl has gone back to sleep in the living room after chasing toys round the living room floor for an hour. there must be a re-kittening drug in the flea treatment as she's been a totally different cat since it came - she'll play with anything that grabs her fancy.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 24th, 2019, 10:25 am

So cold here that the snowdrops have all flopped!
The blackbirds are tucking into their muesli... I’ve got a large :mug: and am writing my shopping list
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2019, 11:00 am

Good morning…. very cold here Brrr - so I have had to wrap up warm to spend the next 4 hours in the shop … we only have one electric heater that is under the desk keeping my legs and knees cosy, but not my feet !

The saga of the dishwasher continues ... Eric arrived yesterday with the new heating element .. It was a real pain to replace but he eventually succeeded ... it was tested and worked .. however on the meantime, the motor has seized up ! Even changing a condenser didn't get it going and it is a sealed unit, so the machine is a write off despite the £90 already spent trying to repair it. :cry: ... so back to looking for a replacement. Eric recommends a Beko .. he says their cheapness more than makes up for them being not as reliable as a Bosch at almost double the price ....comments welcome ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 24th, 2019, 11:44 am

Good morning
Cold and overcast here, and in defiance of the forecast, it has been raining, so pottering on indoors

Shame about the dishwasher Pat, repairing things is a pain, my espresso machine finally went to Liverpool where it will be serviced

Have a good day evy
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Patsy, I’ve had a Beko dishwasher for more than 10 years. It gets well used, once a day if not more often...we both hate washing dishes. It has been totally reliable, and is very efficient. It replaced a truly rubbish Miele which was probably three times the price...though I think I was very unlucky with it, I know they are usually excellent. I’d never buy another expensive one.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2019, 6:45 pm

patpoyntz wrote:Patsy, I’ve had a Beko dishwasher for more than 10 years. It gets well used, once a day if not more often...we both hate washing dishes. It has been totally reliable, and is very efficient. It replaced a truly rubbish Miele which was probably three times the price...though I think I was very unlucky with it, I know they are usually excellent. I’d never buy another expensive one.

What model do you have Pat ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 24th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Patsy, it has on the front DWD5410W. But it is so old it is probably no longer being made. The instruction book disappeared long ago. Because we fill it up so quickly, it goes on so often, so we just use it on the economy programme....rarely do a pre wash or anything else.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 24th, 2019, 7:11 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beko-Dishwashe ... B000ILZ1Q4
This on Amazon, but not available. Looks like ours
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 25th, 2019, 9:13 am

thanks Pat …. Yours is a free standing one … mine needs to be an integrated one - I think I should find the equivalent … I am looking at 4 of their models from the cheapest to the most expensive and trying to work out what differences there are - seems mainly to be extra programmes : ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 25th, 2019, 9:42 am

Good morning
Damp and dreary here,will try to time a walk later to miss any rain, but the forecast says fog clearing though yesterday they were threatening rain for today

Nothing exciting planned, just a few things to do. The tennis won’t delay me for long, Djokovic is annihilating poor Pouille.
Djokovic Nadal should be a great final on Sunday

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 25th, 2019, 9:43 am

good morning, all.
overcast but not raining.
i'm not sure that lots of programmes on washing machines and dishwashers are necessary. i rarely change the programme from economy on the dishwasher and only use a few of the options on the washing machine. i think the simpler the machine the fewer opportunities to go wrong. i would never choose a washer/drier!
i need to go shopping sometime today. the fruit ran out a few days ago and the veg is looking sparse - soup material.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 25th, 2019, 9:46 am

scullion wrote:i'm not sure that lots of programmes on washing machines and dishwashers are necessary. i rarely change the programme from economy on the dishwasher and only use a few of the options on the washing machine. i think the simpler the machine the fewer opportunities to go wrong. i would never choose a washer/drier!

All suggestions/recommendations welcome :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop