good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » January 25th, 2019, 9:51 am

i have miele for both - they're probably about fifteen years old - never had a problem with either (that i haven't fixed myself).
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 25th, 2019, 10:14 am

Pat, I think you should just go for one that offers the programmes you want and that will fit the space. People mainly seem to think that makes such as Miele or Bosch last and that Beko is the luck of the draw. I have other Beko items and no trouble so far, in fact I have been very pleased with them. We have a dishwasher at work, mainly for all the coffee mugs. It is run several times a day. We are on the 3rd one since 2010 but I suspect the faults with previous ones could have been rectified. All in all, I think they are pretty robust and that it's bad luck if you get a dud.

(Am I the only one, who in 15 years of owning a dishwasher has only ever used one setting?)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » January 26th, 2019, 8:09 am

good morning, all.
overcast but no rain (the cat, that has just come in, isn't wet). we are expecting strong winds later - there's a weather warning.
off to the ceramics group film day in an hour, probably do some shopping in truro on the way back then we may go to the cinema tonight.
better move, need a coffee.
i may also pick up a coffee in waitrose on my way.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 27th, 2019, 9:53 am

Very sunny here right now, contrary to what the BBC says it should be. I guess the predicted cloud will come in a bit. Not sure what we are doing today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 27th, 2019, 10:38 am

Good morning all :D
Weak sunshine here, after the rain, but I think there's more wetness to come ... OH is working today so I've a quiet day planned ... I've prepped all the veg for supper, the birds have been fed, the house is clean and tidy ... reading and knitting and holding down the sofa ....
Have a good day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 27th, 2019, 10:50 am

good morning, all.
sunny flashes through the patches of cloud, the wind has dropped a bit and there's no rain. i think the weather warning (wind) stops at twelve.
some ceiling hole filling to do today - and i still need to prune the fruit trees and bushes but i may do that when there's less wind.
yesterday's film day was good, as usual, a little shopping was done on the way back (including a big bag of potting compost - time to think about sowing chillies etc) and the film at the cinema was good.
we went to see 'the favourite'. olivia coleman is a truly great actor. it's hardly surprising that it's been nominated for an oscar.
there are chickpeas soaking for falafel for dinner tonight. i will be picking some salad to have with them.
have a cosy day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 28th, 2019, 8:20 am

Bright this morming. Sunny day forecast.
Possible meeting with owner of company (and my manager and editor) today :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 28th, 2019, 10:28 am

Good morning
Brilliant sunshine here but it must be cold as I can see shards of ice round puddles

Not a lot planned but clearly a walk is indicated and do have things to get on with

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 28th, 2019, 10:30 am

Herbidacious wrote:Possible meeting with owner of company (and my manager and editor) today

Good luck ;) :tu: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 28th, 2019, 10:37 am

good morning, all.
sunny/cloudy with rain predicted - hedging their bets - but at least the wind is back to the normal breeze.
hope the meeting goes well, herbi.
a day of hswk is needed then, this evening, it's the organic gardening group's first meeting and talk of the year.
i'd better get a wiggle on.
have a grand day everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » January 29th, 2019, 7:52 am

good morning, all.
dark. the sun doesn't rise for another fifteen minutes. it's a bit chilly.
yoga this morning and blood donors this afternoon. i may not treat myself to an ice cream afterwards.
please remind me to buy ground coriander while i'm in town.
a plumber comes today.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 29th, 2019, 8:41 am

Would you also pick up some ground turmeric while you’re there please Scully? ;) and enjoy a well deserved ice cream :tu:

Have a good day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 29th, 2019, 8:49 am

Good morning
We’ve had a hard frost even here in the city

Off to the Royal London Hospital Museum with U3A, it’s in a church crypt. Then to Moorfields for final check up

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 30th, 2019, 8:02 am

good morning, all.
chilly and probably damp. we had a hail shower and rain yesterday. no snow. we are predicted a little sun at about four.
off to the farm in an hour so i really should go and get ready (most importantly make coffee).
the plumber has left nice, shiny copper pipes - it's a shame they'll be out of sight - but i suppose, unless coated, they'll soon dull.
time to shift.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 30th, 2019, 8:15 am

Cold and bright here (not much above 0). There was a frost, but it's pretty much gone. We have a sunny morning predicted.

We have some nice new shiny copper piping from out new boiler too. The back door only just clears it :?

Writing meeting tonight. Not seen these guys since November (?)
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 30th, 2019, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 30th, 2019, 8:22 am

Good morning all ... a bit of settled snow here but not a lot.

I once knew someone who was so keen on hswk that she kept all the copper pipes around her central heating aga as shiny as thd day they were installed! :shock: Someone else coated theirs with a clear varnish ... it takes all sorts ;)

Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 30th, 2019, 9:06 am

That should have been frost nearly gone off the grass! Was offered a lift to station but nearly missed train due to frosted up car. Very pretty it was though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 30th, 2019, 9:18 am

Still a hard frost here … my young neighbour who has just bought a BMW has found that he can't get into it … the electronic fob (and key) unlock the car, but to enable the door to open, the windows must drop down a fraction to clear the upper door frame - and they won't … he has been made redundant and leaves his company on Friday, but has already been paid, so he is 'working' from home today … ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 30th, 2019, 9:47 am

We have a severe dusting which froze over night so very crunchy underfoot. The air is very cold and I feel for the window guy who is putting in the windows at present, apparantly the scaffolding is slippy !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 30th, 2019, 9:50 am

Good morning
We have had a hard frost even here, next door’s flat roof is sparkling but although it’s still about zero degrees the sun is bright and clearing the crystals away as it touches them

I am having a day of pottering around locally, getting my hair cut etc. I’m quite tired as I went out to see the Royal London Hospital Museum yesterday, interesting display on the elephant man Joseph Merrick of course, I never realised he was called “elephant” not because of his cephalic deformities but because of the changes to his skin which really was elephant like. Then we had a pub lunch, 5 of us, then I popped into the Whitechapel gallery to kill a little time, walked up to Moorfields to see my surgeon and came home on the bus, but the buses were disrupted by the taxi demo in Trafalgar Square.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 30th, 2019, 10:44 am

We couldn't open the windows of our car either, Patsy, although warm water sorted it. The doors were reluctant to open too. This is what the windscreen looked like from the inside.

IMG_9136.JPG

IMG_9137.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 30th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Ain't Mother nature wonderful Herb !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm

We were admiring the wonderful patterns on the bonnet of a car on our way for coffee this morning … :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 31st, 2019, 10:05 am

-2 this morning, but sunny. Really lovely pinky golden light in the garden on the frosted shrubs and trees. And I saw a wren :luv: will post a pic later. I don't think have ever seen a wren in my garden before.

just work and shopping for marmalade supplies today.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 31st, 2019, 10:26 am

good morning, all.
wet and chilly. the met says it's 6°c at the moment and will fall to 4°c by tonight but swinging between a feel of 1°c and -1°c. the warning of snow and ice has been dropped. we didn't get any.
we see quite a few wrens in our garden, i think they nest in the hedge at the bottom of the garden. they have the most amazing song for their size in both volume and range.
be careful with the warm water on the frosty windows - a friend cracked his windscreen by doing that.
we were going to be laying some cat6e cable today but my partner is coming down with a cold and probably doesn't feel like it. we think the electricians finish first fix today.
have a well wrapped day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 31st, 2019, 10:42 am

It was quite tepid... but yes, risky. We used the old bath mat method last night.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 31st, 2019, 11:05 am

I'm not risking the warm water ... I know there's a recent stone chip on the windscreen :shock:

Ten minutes ago I picked a sprig of Sweet Box (Sarcococca confusa) and popped it in a vase on the table here ... now the whole room is gently scented :luv:

I'm staying in the warm today ... I advise everyone else to do the same if they possibly can. :sball:

Enjoy your day :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » February 1st, 2019, 11:19 am

good morning, all.
chilly but no more snow. what we had yesterday afternoon had mostly melted by the time it got dark, after some lovely blue sky and sunshine.
we are far enough down and close enough to the coast that snow doesn't stay around much (boo hoo).
i do need to go shopping sometime - we only have a mango and a couple of passion fruit in the fruit bowls and enough veg to have potatoes in their jackets with cheese, pickle and coleslaw for dinner (we do have some stuff in the freezer).
i had to encourage the cats to go out yesterday afternoon - they get confused over the white stuff - it's not something that they see very much - hardly ever.
the sun is peeking through again and i want a coffee.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 1st, 2019, 12:06 pm

Good noon
We had slush yesterday evening, quite a bit of snow overnight, I could seee it lying on the flat roof of an empty building, but it is now raining so the snow won’t last much longer round here

I should get on a bit I suppose. The weather doesn’t encourage frantic activity.
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 1st, 2019, 2:13 pm

We had some snow. There is supposed to be heavy snow at 5pm. I hope I don't get stuck in Brixton :) (gig)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2019, 11:49 am

good morning, all.
bright and chilly - we are predicted sun soon.
i really need to do some shopping today.
why has it started raining (sounds like sleety hail, actually)? another look at the met office says that this is also predicted for now - i'm impressed. i hope they get the sun prediction right.
i fancy eating cake. i haven't had any for a while and that wasn't helped by 'the kitchen cabinet', on the wireless, talking about sticky toffee pudding. we may not have any fruit and veg left but i think i have the ingredients for the pudding.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2019, 1:05 pm

Good afternoon everyone

It’s been a busy morning ... breaking the washbasin, googling replacements, phoning plumber, checking insurance, dashing to W’rose for milk, feeding blackbirds who were queueing for their fruit and muesli, doing a couple of loads of laundry and making a rogan josh for supper.

I shall put my feet up now

Have a lovely afternoon folks and be careful on slippy surfaces :hug: :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pm

Good afternoon
Did worryingly little this morning
Did go to chemist - will go back when they aren’t having a power cut
Had a little walk around
It was sunny but cold when I was out, my rosemary is in full flower and a huge furry bumble bee was stocking up on calories. The first camellia along the common is in flower, not actually early for that one
Off to the Tower Theatre in a little while.

My espresso machine has been repaired and comes home on Tuesday :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

Feels like I've not done much either. Got up later (very late night - gig - disturbed by coughing fits - mine.) Have done a few loads of washing, run dishwasher, put some birdfood out, put cook books back on shelves (they don't seem to fit... :? ) changed cat litter, typed up some fiction I am working on, researched marmalade (instead of making it), researched uploading firmware on camera- ready to do both now, but more inclined to have a nap. I suppose by 'not done much' I mean not been very physically active/done the things I intended to...
Lovely light out right now. Last night's snow had mostly gone by morning. Long tailed tits cheeping in the garden :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

the camellias have been in flower down here since before christmas - they are still.
these were picked (as buds) just before christmas and were in flower for a couple of weeks indoors.

cameliacopy.jpg
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 2nd, 2019, 3:41 pm

Meanwhile oop north we have our first snowdrops!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 2nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Ditto here Down South BB! :D

We also have some crocuses and some aconite. The witch hazel will be flowering any day now. Rosemary beginning to form some buds but it doesn't usually flower in our garden until April at the earliest.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2019, 3:55 pm

last year's rosemary cuttings have been in flower since last autumn.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 2nd, 2019, 3:56 pm

That made me bend forward to look out of the window. I can see some pink in the vicinity of the camelia bush.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2019, 4:06 pm

pick the blooms in bud and bring them indoors. they last for a good, long time that way rather than going brown, disappointing and miserable within a couple of days of being open outdoors.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 2nd, 2019, 7:44 pm

Seatallan wrote:The witch hazel will be flowering any day now.

Mine's in full bloom ;) I discovered this when I crossed to the back of my garden to cut some Sarcocca (confusa) as suggested by Suffolk … she mentioned how lovely the perfume was when brought indoors … not sure that I agree :rolleyes:

Must check out the camellias next ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2019, 7:54 pm

Witch hazel in full bloom round here too
I think camellias vary quite a lot according to variety as well as day length and warmth

Play was very good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 3rd, 2019, 9:54 am

good morning, all.
sunny and warmer (less chilly). the breeze has swung back to the south and south west so the temperature will be back up to 10°c by early afternoon - says the met.
a chat with our builder in an hour or so, a trip to the dump and an agm are all the things on the cards today.
i'll do a swing past the field gate to see what veg they have on the way home as i didn't go shopping (again) yesterday and the shops will be closed by the time i'm out of the meeting. i'm hoping there are still cauliflowers.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 10:26 am

morning. Bright, sunny and frosty here. Trying to make marmalade but possibly getting it wrong :o wish I had stuck to the whole orange method... cf my marmalade panic thread!
Last edited by Herbidacious on February 3rd, 2019, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 3rd, 2019, 10:27 am

The birds have had their chopped fruit and porridge oats with the addition of chunks of soaked naan bread and leftover rice from supper. I don't normally give them many scraps but this cold weather the pigeons can make short work of that sort of thing and it stops them robbing all the other food that I put out for the ground feeders.

I've not had porridge this morning, I've had dippy egg and wholemeal toast soldiers :chops:

Hope you get your cauli Scully :D Gotta love a winter cauli :luv:

Have a lovely day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 3rd, 2019, 1:23 pm

Brickie turned up to do some vital bits before the scaffolding comes down but the sand was frozen solid so he quit and went home. We have delved into the DF for ingredients for supper before Frank Gardner on Tuesday. Looks like we might make it to view furniture tomorrow but we will see what weather we get tomorrow.

New DF is due between 12 and 4 tomorrow, it will be nice not to have a fight with plastic warped drawers in future. Mr. Z is having his induction ref. driving the community bus @ 10am tomorrow too, so a busy day.

Also took some neck of lamb out of DF so I think my slow cooker might go on later with some veg
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 2:48 pm

Bacl to early bloomers ( :) ) I have one camelia flower out and already going brown. Just one though. I think I may have also a witch hazel... not sure if that's what it is. How do such flowers pollinate if they flower so early in the year. Or do they not need to?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 3rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

Good afternoon

Been out for a nice long walk through the Wetlands Centre in bright sunshine - it is one of those days where is you are appropriately dressed and have dark glasses you can comfortably sit in the sun, but there is ice as thick and solid as plate glass on the small ponds and the canals. There are still little puffs of snow lying in the shadow of the cemetery chapel. I had coffee and a toastie at the wetlands café, in the company of their resident robin.

Need to decide what to cook for later and attempt to thaw it out
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2019, 4:02 pm

Rachel, this is my hamemelis … is yours similar ? btw: just checked my 2 camellias … one has a couple of buds and the other has none, but then they could be of different types :?
Attachments
hamemelis.jpg
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 9:56 pm

I will check, Pat.

I really must visit your wetlands, Sue. It's a pity your bit of the Overground doesn't intersect with mine, but Shoreditch High st isn't as million miles from Liverpool st.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop