good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » February 17th, 2019, 11:20 am

good morning, all.
sunny glimpses and a bit of a breeze.
i was woken at an ungodly time by a cooking fat. clearing up vomit isn't my idea of an early morning activity.
too much information?
we may be having a visit from the upcountry young in a couple of weeks time - a surprise party is on the cards for our son. i will have to do some research on costume - it's a themed fancy dress.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2019, 11:56 am

Good morning
Sunny here, very nice at the moment

Will spend some time outside but having tidied outside need to get cracking on indoors

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 17th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Good morning all :D

I’ve been out there in the sunshine pruning fruit bushes, tidying grasses etc.
Now it’s time for another :mug:

Have a lovely Sunday everyone :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 17th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Yes, a lovely day here too :tu: … outside in short sleeves and no heating required. Did a bit of tidying, but needed to get cracking on (late) lunch.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 18th, 2019, 8:26 am

Dull and breezy here.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 18th, 2019, 9:56 am

Goood morning all :D
Overcast but dry so far here in Norfolk. Bed linen is in the wash and there are two more piles of washing on the landing. I must make bread and prep tonight’s supper ... but first I need a :mug:
Have a lovely day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » February 18th, 2019, 10:38 am

good morning, all.
sunny - and predicted so all day. another good washing day.
i need to do a load of hswk, among other things. i started listing them all but got scared so rubbed them out - one thing on a jobs list is enough.
a friend is back from doing a stint as an observer in palestine/israel today. part of the remit is to give talks about her experience to groups in her home location so a date for one is being worked out among the group who were on the horticulture course with her.
she's been away for three months. i admire her greatly and if you're going to do it you might as well miss the bad weather here!
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » February 19th, 2019, 8:24 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment but later, due to cloud over a bit, i think.
the only problem with having the wake-up alarm as birdsong is that i wake up with the dawn chorus on the days i set the alarm. the good thing is you (one) gets to hear some amazing birdsong. there was one out there that had a really beautiful, tuneful one, with repeated phrases - one of which made me think of the theme in the film 'betty blue' (a good film but if you haven't seen it i suggest you don't watch the very end - it's not pleasant).
yoga this morning followed by replacing umpteen bags of loft insulation back in the loft. the floor needs clearing and the electrician doesn't need to go up there again except for one thing at second fix.
clouding over a little now - quicker than i thought. glad i got the washing done yesterday.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 19th, 2019, 9:41 am

We’re heading south today, meeting up with DS and doing some errands, getting a permanent repair to the car boot etc etc etc.
Good job I filled the bird feeders up yesterday ,,, they’re half empty again today ... and theyre big ones

Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 19th, 2019, 10:13 am

Nice and sunny here too. Yesterday was just miserable. (Or maybe that was me... :? )

Might start tackling philosophy of religion today. Intro is going to be tricky as the subject pretty much revolves around medieval Christian concepts of God, which (the fact that it does thus revolve) obviously doesn't sit so well with the company's attempt to be all inclusive... We shall see.

I could do with something fun in my life at the moment...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 19th, 2019, 10:34 am

That does sound fun for a lovely early spring day Herbi! Just refer them to Joseph Campbell's Masks of God series and sit back. Nothing more required. ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 19th, 2019, 11:25 am

Good morning
I don’t think I’ll engage with the philosophy of religion today thanks, just the sunshine and the tidying up

It’s a lovely day here, might even be outside for a bit just hanging around

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 20th, 2019, 8:30 am

good morning, all.
overcast and a bit breezy.
a long day today which i don't feel like doing.
i only slightly surfaced with the dawn chorus and went straight back to sleep again, thank goodness, but now the jackdaws are fighting over the lease on one of our chimneys.
oh well - better get a cup of coffee and get ready for the farm.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm

A bit dull here. I don't know if I was looking in the 'wrong Sydenham' earlier, but the weather forecast seems to have gone from sunny and very warm, to less of both. Still hardly winter weather.

I find myself in need of a new gardener this morning. I am not sure whether to use a company or not. I have, in the past, used a one person outfit. It's usually ended up being a rather middle class lady who used to work in the City (not by intention, on my part.) They seem to be dwindling in supply though. It would be nice to find someone who doesn't pull up my wild garlic... I always feel my garden is a disappointment to gardeners, and it's the first one to get ditched if they want to cut back their hours. I guess because what they all really want to do is just garden design, and you can't put stuff in my garden due to the huge number of shrubs. (Would love to put stuff in it.)

Anyway. Back to work. But thinking about gardening, and sowing things...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm

p.s. anyone know of any friendly gardening forums. I tired the Grow your Own one, but they just ignored me, as in continued with the thread, but ignoring my post and question.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 20th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Good afternoon all :D

This is the one I’m on Herbi https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussions

In the main they’re a friendly crowd ... occasionally there’s a spat but the Mods are sensible and it soon blows over ... certainly the most knowledgeable and helpful group of gardeners I’ve come across on any forum.

I’ve had a really busy morning so this afternoon will be spent knitting.

Have a lovely afternoon everyone.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Thanks, Suffs!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 20th, 2019, 5:09 pm

I knew Suffs would know ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 20th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Lovely gardening day here, apart from the biting wind that they forgot to mention on the forecast

The snowdrops and daffodils are out together in force and there’s a positive infestation of Lenten roses (hellebores) in full bloom at Highbury Corner

My pot plants seem to have survived my tidy up, there’s visible growth since Sunday :o

Gardeners are a strange thing - a friend has them, last one couldn’t prune a rose correctly ( or at all, she snipped a few bits off the top and gave up), current one is bossy but in a good way, he’ll tell all his clients they are getting one specific job done next week because he has booked a piece of equipment
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

A friend of my daughter's has done all the gardening exams and comes to me when I need someone who knows what they are doing … she also has one of those cord action lopper thingy's which is great for pruning stuff that can't be reached with ordinary loppers. Then I have a guy who will come round and clear up after I have spent a day pruning. I just have to keep reminding him to watch what he is treading on ! :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 21st, 2019, 9:08 am

Dull again. Doctor's appointment today. I really hate going to the doctor's...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 21st, 2019, 10:14 am

good morning, all.
sunshine - forecast for the rest of the day, too, plus a little bit of a breeze from the south.
i have developed the sort of cough where, unless i'm lying down, i have to hold my head in case it flies off. is that a good enough reason for staying in bed for a while?
it's going around. i could have caught it from a number of people but most likely at the farm where there is often a lack of anti-spread thinking in the service users. it's the first cold i've had for a very long time so i can't complain and i'm not feeling sorry for myself - i was brought coffee before my partner had to go out - definitely a good thing.
i'll head out into the sunshine in a bit as i have some grape vine cuttings that need potting up. they've rooted in their jar of water and leaves are beginning to unfurl. they may not survive the shock to the roots from being put into a different medium but it's worth a try.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 21st, 2019, 11:09 am

Good morning
Get better soon sculls
I’ve had everything going the last 3 months, but it’s not a surprise given I’m prone to it anyway, then there were the steroids ... should be back to normal now

Will do some clearing up then go out later, weather seems ok
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 21st, 2019, 11:47 am

scullion wrote:i have developed the sort of cough where, unless i'm lying down, i have to hold my head in case it flies off. is that a good enough reason for staying in bed for a while?

Yes
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 21st, 2019, 11:58 am

Poor you Scully. Did you start with a sore throat? My next to me colleague is off after starting with one, and people on another forum I go on have one too in different parts of the country. I hope you feel better soon.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 21st, 2019, 1:11 pm

It seems there’s a virus going round that starts with a sore throat, makes you feel rubbish
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm

Get well soon Scully :plink: :mug:

I find that cuttings rooted in water can be helped to cope with ‘new circumstances’ by adding compost to the jar of water so that they’re in sloshy mud for a while, then add a bit more so that they acclimatise and develop the right sort of fine roof hairs that can absorb oxygen from air rather than the ‘water sort’.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 22nd, 2019, 8:06 am

Morning. Quite misty when I got up at 7 and still not lifted fully. Lots of bird song. Lots of bulbs coming up, but not ther ones in the ex-herb patch wehere I think Basil has been weeing...

I hope everyone has a good day. I am going to a concert this evening. Mahler Das Lied von der Erde and some other things.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am

good morning, all.
i think it's overcast but bright out there.
i resorted to a co-codamol last night - it had the side effect of giving me a good night's sleep with no coughing. the ache in my face and head no longer feel like my eyes will drop out!
no, it didn't really start with a sore throat just a cold type of feeling in the nose that went to a thick feeling in the throat then down into the lungs as an irritant, hissy cough rather than a chesty, rattly cough - the sort that takes a lot of effort to shift anything but you can't stop making the effort.
glad this sort of thing is not a common occurrence with me but i'm feeling a bit better today so that's all good.
my partner has gone to the seed swap without me - a good idea.
i'm on the honey and lemon instead of coffee.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » February 24th, 2019, 10:56 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i have so many things to make by next friday i don't know how i'll get them all done - and a thorough clean of the house as the upcountry young are down then, too.
better start planning the time management!
cat feeding duties, too.
aaaahhhhhhh.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 25th, 2019, 8:41 am

A bit of a clean up and de- clutter has started here too ... but I do find it hard to get rid of books ... however I’m being very firm with myself and if I know I will not re- read them they are going in the box for the Macmillan nurse table in W’rose where donated books are sold for £1 each ... they raise a lot of money that way. :D

Today I will be tackling the drawers stuffed full of odd bits and bobs in the bedroom ... a bin bag is waiting for a lot of them ...

Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » February 25th, 2019, 9:10 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
why have the eu politicians gone to Egypt for a conference‽ (rhetorical question) surely the most efficient is to have it in the most central place in the eu - or am i being silly‽‽‽
olivia coleman - it would have been a travesty if she hadn't won and made the oscars into a laughing stock (more than they are).
coffee half drunk, better start shifting.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 26th, 2019, 8:20 am

Scully ... it’s really a summit between the Arab League and EU members ... supposed to be discussing stuff like the death penalty etc. It was just an opportune time to discuss B****t as they were there together ... and of course our press is fixated by B****t and not the other stuff. It’d be interesting to know what has been said about the death penalty and whether Cameron is eligible :twisted:

The bedroom bookcase is clean and tidy and there’s space for some new books :tu:

Today OH may be persuaded to rake the front lawn ... it’s full of moss ... cross your fingers folks ;)

Have a lovely day and enjoy the sunshine while it’s here ... 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 26th, 2019, 8:42 am

Sunny again here, and 18 degrees predicted. Nothing on the agenda other than work...

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 26th, 2019, 9:38 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a south easterly breeze.
suffolk wrote: it’s really a summit between the Arab League and EU members

yeah i heard that later in the day - that bit wasn't emphasised on the news so i missed it earlier. maybe the 'saracens' paid the hotel bill so everyone could go to their gaff rather than them having to mix with 'infidels' (joke - i know sharm el sheikh is in egypt).
suffolk wrote:Today OH may be persuaded to rake the front lawn ... it’s full of moss

did you not watch monty don's recent series?

one costume sorted and the best part of a teapot done, so will, hopefully, get the pot finished today. it's handbuilt rather than thrown as it's a little 'different'.
then another two costumes to sort. the mugs will have to wait - i may have to get a pick and shovel for the hswk.
i'm not going to yoga this morning - i don't want to be the one blamed for spreading the cold there.
coffee - ahhhhh.
have another glorious day, everyone.

ps book of the week (radio 4) - brilliant. awesome man, true humanitarian. i'm surprised he hasn't been knighted yet.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 26th, 2019, 11:06 am

Good morning
Lovely sunny day here, off to Southbank to play backgammon

To be fair raking moss out of grass is a lot less faff than plucking grass out of moss!

I’ve noticed how the moss has grown round here, specially on my slate roof. A combination of a warm damp winter and improving air quality I suppose

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 26th, 2019, 11:52 am

I have quite a lot of moss in my garden and I know this is because I have water there too... I was pleasantly surprised to find lichen on my sarcococca shrub on Sunday .. I understand this indicates a good air quality. ;) :tu:

I have now had 3 goes at spelling Sarcococca ;) :oops: :? :rolleyes: )
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 27th, 2019, 8:23 am

Good morning,all.
Misty at the moment but should burn off later.
My Mac said that it was going to take38 minutes to update but it only took the time to be get to the end of the last sentence.
Off to the farm in a bit. My cold is still around but as I'm pretty sure it came from there I'm not too worried about taking it back.
The teapot is drying. Hopefully it can go in the kiln in a day or two.
Better head for the shower.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2019, 11:34 am

Another frost (hope artichokes will be ok...) yet predicted to reach 19 today. I brought my camera in with me. I am going to make myself go out and take photos in my lunch hour. I am sure I won't regret it.

I hope everyone's day is going well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 27th, 2019, 3:00 pm

A lovely day here, warm and sunny after a cold start, supposedly the last of the heat wave sequence

It would be, we are walking part of the Thames path tomorrow a long standing fixture

Need to buy and sow a few seeds, struggling to find anywhere that stocks all the varieties I want and I don't want enough to make it worth ordering from multiple place
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 28th, 2019, 9:16 am

good morning, all.
a misty, moisty morning etc
our daughter arrives down tonight and i have soooo much to do by then. i will just have to accept that unless someone gives me a time turner i won't be able to get it all done.
better start.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Good afternoon all :D

A lot of sneezing happening this end of the sofa ... not sure whether it’s the effect of the declutter and cleaning I’ve been doing, or my sinuses beginning to unblock at last. Nose and eyes keep dripping :sprout:

Puddle found in cupboard under sink ... plumber will inspect tomorrow ... we think the waste pipe is split :rolleyes:

It’s turned cold again now so the heating is on and I’m heading for the sofa with my knitting.

Have a good afternoon folks :mug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 1st, 2019, 9:01 am

good morning, all.
sunny (for the morning).
i have a little grace - our daughter's train was possibly going to be cancelled (and was going to take seven hours, anyway) so the both are coming down today by car, quite late.
i'm taking the teapot to the kiln and hoping it's dry enough (a risk of exploding in the kiln) - and that it doesn't break on the way!
coffee is here - with the need for me to get going soon, to do a load of other stuff before that.

ps it's cat deflating (i did type de-fleaing, honestly) day, today.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 1st, 2019, 9:36 am

Good morning
Grey, damp etc here but brightening a bit
Got a training session for using my iPad at 11 am, see what I can improve especially on the accessibility options and with Siri

Then out for a St David’s day supper

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am

good morning, all.
overcast but washing will still have to be done.
the last thing, pressing, to do today is a costume for my son. it would help if i had his measurements but i think i can do a reasonable guess.
upcountry young arrived late last night - they are still asleep, unsurprisingly.
as coffee isn't forthcoming i suppose i will have to go and do the honours.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 2nd, 2019, 10:45 am

Yes weather as forecast. Dull, grey, but no rain.

Intending to have and so far am having a lazy day on my own, as husband out all day at a classical music thing. I woke very late, and not yet showered and dressed. I should probably do this...! When I have finished my coffee...
I might try and tackle a part of the kitchen and/or my bedroom for a bit though. If I achieve nothing, I shall feel dissatisfied with myself.

I hope everyone's day is going well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 2nd, 2019, 11:36 am

Good morning
St David’s day supper was cancelled last night due to the illness of the hostess. Sorry for her but might have been better for me as I had an early morning appointment for a mammogram, so I’ve been out, been x-rayed and visited the shops

Magnolias in full spate all over the place and I noticed yesterday that the wild garlic was up with enough leaf to be worth picking

Will sit here for a bit then do food shopping

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2019, 11:41 am

The morning has gone well so far thanks Herbi :D
As well as a bit of light hswk I’ve ordered a couple of jacket patterns ... haven’t made anything for myself for ages but I can’t find what I want in the shops, so while my aching shoulders are making painting difficult I might as well get the sewing machine out :D
Now for knitting and the athletics ... both at the same time ... is there no end to my talents?! :shock: :lol:
Enjoy the weekend folks ... and if you’re in the path of the storm mind you keep those hatches battened down tight :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 3rd, 2019, 11:23 am

good morning, all.
windy but dry at the moment. the cat came in soaked in the middle of the night. don't worry, he dried himself off on the bed just fine - grrr.
cake at the local young this morning, the upcountry young head back and i'm off to a meeting this afternoon. i may stop and empty the kiln at the farm after.
all go!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2019, 11:35 am

Hello
Wet here but fairly bright (given that it’s raining)

Going to have a duvet day, will probably listen to audio books

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop