good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2019, 11:50 am

Good morning all :D

Bird feeders and hedgehog dishes filled, rhubarb pulled and crumble made, joint and veggies prepped for supper, Archers listened to and house clean and tidy-ish ... this afternoon will be vicarious athletics and knitting ...

Keep your hard hats handy those of you in the storm’s path ... and have a safe and lovely Sunday afternoon :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 4th, 2019, 7:59 am

good morning, all.
overcast and damp (i think).
when i've finished my coffee there are a few jobs to be done - including the rest of a bit of packing - before we head upcountry for a few days.
the cats will take umbrage.
we're going to futurebuild at the excel, on wednesday, if you're in the area, sue‽
coffee nearly downed, better get a wiggle on.
have a good day, everyone.

ps the wind, the other day, was just windy - i wouldn't have said we'd had a storm.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 4th, 2019, 9:59 am

Good morning
Drinking coffee and trying to decide how bad my cold feels today, think the answer is a bit better than expected but still there, will proceed with caution

The excel centre is surprisingly tedious to get to from here, so might give that a miss sculls as not feeling great, shame to miss you

We had a lot of rain yesterday but not a lot of other weather

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 4th, 2019, 11:29 am

For some reason Freya seems to have affected S Wales and northwest France the worst ... I wonder why it skirted around us :?

We have a stash of books, china, and some of OHs clothes ready to take to the charity shop which has reasonable parking outside ... we are feeling very virtuous :D

Have a good day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 4th, 2019, 2:58 pm

High winds last night in south London. A fair amount of rain. It felt quite cold when I went out at lunch time.

Tonight I will be packing for France. The advance party leaves tomorrow evening after a job interview.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2019, 8:12 am

Bright and sunny here this morning. Husband has a job inteview and then is off to France on the night ferry. The way I am feeling you'd think it was me doing these things :)

I hope everyone has a good day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 5th, 2019, 10:40 am

Good morning
Yes we have sunshine and I will go out in it shortly as it may rain later

No great plans for today but my cold seems to be a lot better so I’ll just see how today goes

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2019, 11:24 am

Gosh yes. Just looked at the weather report. Rain for over 24 hours from 16.00 :(

At least Paris looks dry (if photographically very blah in the afternoon) on Friday. Naturally Normandy will be wet over the coming week.

Cue the usual blague:

blague10.jpg
blague10.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 5th, 2019, 11:30 am

Herbidacious wrote:Husband has a job inteview and then is off to France on the night ferry.

Hope all goes well with your OH's interview … perhaps it will boost his morale ? :tu: :hug: :hug: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Thanks. If it seems to go well, it should... then he can start worrying about going to the French house! Apparently the kitchen looks like someone threw a bad of currants all over it :o Hopefully that's the worst of it. (Apparently a camelia and another shrub succumbed to the storm, but that's no biggie either.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 6th, 2019, 8:27 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast here.
We may or may not be heading down into the smoke this morning. My partner is suffering with his cold and unfortunately, as there’s no other room for him to sleep in, so am I! He is not one to just get on with it - if he wakes up it seems I have to as well.
Grrrr.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2019, 9:56 am

Sofa, scullion?! :o

Overcast here as well, but at least not raining, now. (Apparently it's tipping it down in Normandy...) Husband's interview did not go well, he thinks. And now... he had a head hunter, whom he'd told he was going on holiday, texting him in the night to say that a company wants to see him asap. This is worrying, as we know where my husband's inclinations lie (his departure yesterday was delayed at considerable expense by the interview, but in that case, fair enough...) If they offer him an interview and won't budge re times, I suppose I have to accept this. But is the company I work for the only one that works around people's commitments when it comes to interviews? Anyway feeling rather anxious now... and a little angry. It feels like every holiday we have had in the last two and a half years has been marred by his work issues or my mother...

Anyway, this cheered me a little:

https://www.nigelslater.com/greenfeast-_bk_45
https://www.nigelslater.com/greenfeast-_bk_46

Released in May and September respectively.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2019, 10:00 am

Hope things turn out for the best Herbi, and I hope that the cold sufferer recovers very soon Scully.

I'm still snuffling but not enough to stop me going to tennis, particularly as next Wednesday I'll have to miss it as the plumber's coming then to replace the washbasin.

After tennis I'll pop into W'rose for some milk and fish for supper ... then the afternoon will be spent doing I know not what :lol:

Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 6th, 2019, 10:22 am

Herbi, I really hope you and Mr H get your holiday in peace. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 6th, 2019, 11:33 am

Good morning

Going out later so just pottering around now. My cold have pretty much gone, surprisingly rapid, usually mine hang about and try to develop into bronchitis. Either I’m unusually healthy or it’s a weak strain, probably a bit of both, helped by it being a wet weekend with not much happening so I could stay in and mollycoddle it

Hope Mr H’s head hunter can get his act together Herbi

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2019, 11:59 am

I had a call from stressed-out husband to say that there is a hole in the wall, (looking at picture not as bad as he made out) black mold and flies all over the place. Slight histrionics (?) probably made worse my very little sleep and no food. No news from headhunter.
I am ready to go to bed now!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 6th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Herbi - could he not conduct interview via Skype or similar? I know of at least four people in different professions who have had interviews this way. One was Hull/Brisbane- rather a long way to go just for an interview and so conducted via Skype, the others were when people were on scheduled holidays. My friends husband had the interview wearing collar, tie and jacket but was wearing shorts and flip flops as they could only see him from the waist up.

Hope he is successful.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Thanks Busybee, he is in the middle of nowhere with ropy satellite internet, which, thank goodness, seemed to work first time when he tried it (Second time ever that this has been the case!) Apparently it's an 'informal chat' to enable the company person to have something to say about the applicants when the applications are shown to the board of directors (?) next week, so they wanted to do it by phone anyway. The landline is ok, but he did need to access his application and the job description (why he doesn't have copies on his laptop, I don't know). Which he now can, I hope... touch wood etc.

Just bl**dy typical though, that this was required while we are on holiday. I hope they are more flexible if they want to meet him in person.

I feel so stressed though. He keeps pinging me with new problems over Whatsapp, some initially cryptic, then explained and then some of which are subsequently resolved. He of course is very stressed too. I imagine a large glass of wine will be in order for him later on.

Sorry I will stop going on about it. It's stopping me from thinking and thus worrying about my travel tomorrow, I suppose :? Not that there is anything to really worry about on that front, really.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 6th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Sofa, scullion?!

hopefully it won't come to that - the dog may get the wrong idea and think that he, too, can sleep on the sofa!
we are not at home so we are already in the 'spare' room.

i hope your husband can relax a bit for your holiday - has he tried some mindfulness exercises?
i hope the interviews work out for him (and ∴ you).
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 7th, 2019, 8:26 am

Morning. Some resolution on yesterday's issues by the end of the day. Phone interview deferred until we get back. Our lovely neighbour after hearing our predicament re the hole in the columbage brought his French builder round. A quote is in the offing for that, guttering (hopefully will help with the damp ultimately) and replacing exposed plaster board. We expect 4 figure. If I were mean I could say to OH 'this is what happens when you leave things until they get really bad.' But I don't think that will have any impact on his reluctance to spend money on our property/ies. I thought maybe on the back of this he might feel galvanized to tackle other issues, but it seems not. I wonder if the builder could install some locks/lockable bolts on the sitting room door to the outside... At the moment it just has unlockable bolts!
Apparently the flies were hibernating ones. As well as the dead ones on the floor, there were hundreds of live ones behind all the pictures but oddly only in two rooms one of which is above the other.

OH was wheezing away though last night... he says, the cold.

So it's bright and sunny here with a bit of a breeze. I am off to Paris late afternoon. I think I now have a plan regarding what to do there. I am staying in the 6ieme - St Germain - and did think I might stay on the Rive Gauche, but I am quite interested to go to the Musée des Arts Décoratifs and the Palais Royal looks like it might be good for photo opportunities :) Also plan to go the market in St Germain and Bon Marche, if I have time (train to Normandy at 5ish.) Originally thought about going up the Montparnasse tower, but not that bothered re this.

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 7th, 2019, 9:31 am

Good morning
The sun is here but apparently will go, it’s quite windy I think

Need to get a walk in as I didn’t get one yesterday, was going to walk on my way to backgammon but it was cancelled and the weather turned nasty so I tackled some paperwork instead

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 8th, 2019, 7:45 am

Herbidacious wrote:guttering (hopefully will help with the damp ultimately)

Most definitely, intact guttering is essential.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 8th, 2019, 8:55 am

Good morning
Weather wise is a repeat of yesterday it seems, bright now, rain after lunch, so better get out there

Out tonight going all of 12 doors down to see a performance of Eric Bogosian’s Talk Radio, should be good.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 8th, 2019, 9:07 am

good morning, all.
sunny, here, at the moment.
must head down for a coffee in a minute.
an aunt is coming round for dinner tonight (i have to go and pick her up) - it'll be lovely to see her.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2019, 10:08 am

good morning, all.
bright but overcast, here.
off to home in a few hours. it'll be nice to sleep in our own bed - this one is a little firm for me.
i picked up my aunt, who was coming here for dinner, last night. the phone sat nav took me, in theory, the fastest way. i wouldn't have known where i was if i hadn't used it but it seems it wasn't the fastest way. my aunt couldn't understand why it had taken me in such a wiggly way. as i said, i wouldn't have known which direction i should have set off in let alone which way to turn at the end of the road!
off downstairs for a coffee. brunch will be had before we leave.
see you back in cornwall.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 9th, 2019, 10:14 am

scullion wrote:i picked up my aunt, who was coming here for dinner, last night. the phone sat nav took me, in theory, the fastest way. i wouldn't have known where i was if i hadn't used it but it seems it wasn't the fastest way. my aunt couldn't understand why it had taken me in such a wiggly way. as i said, i wouldn't have known which direction i should have set off in let alone which way to turn at the end of the road!

Morning all ... turning dull and chilly here too. A friend and I found ourselves in a similar situation on Wednesday night... I was accompanying her to a Chiropractic clinic somewhere in Maidenhead. Sat Nav took us all round the houses. We realised for the return journey that the A4 would take as straight through Slough with no deviation until the A412 which lead us past my friends house ! :? :rolleyes:

Off to lunch later at one of Raymond Blanc's gaffs ... to try the March set menu for me ... the weekend man will have his usual - steak frites :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2019, 11:22 am

You should be able to opt for either the most ‘direct’ route or one using mostly main roads if possible ... I think that’s available on most satnavs.

Washing is out and flapping in this chilly wind. Brrr! I’m staying in ... the sniffly headcold is now a bit chesty :rolleyes:

I’ve ptomised OH a lasagne for supper ... the ragu is chuntering on the stove (in a moment of inspiration I added some fennel seeds ... we shall see) and the bechamel is made and the Parmesan grated. I’ll assemble it after lunch.

Now for a coffee and some faffing about before getting on with the Aran jumper this afternoon.

Have a lovely afternoon everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm

suffolk wrote:
You should be able to opt for either the most ‘direct’ route or one using mostly main roads if possible ... I think that’s available on most satnavs.

It was the phone sat nav - it said the fastest route - as I didn’t know where I was I wasn’t really in a position to say whether the fastest was any different from the most direct (not that, from what I remember, it gave me any other option).

We’re on the m4 now - I know where I am!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2019, 4:12 pm

:D :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 10th, 2019, 8:47 am

scullion wrote:
suffolk wrote:

It was the phone sat nav - it said the fastest route - as I didn’t know where I was I wasn’t really in a position to say whether the fastest was any different from the most direct (not that, from what I remember, it gave me any other option).

We’re on the m4 now - I know where I am!

Our convoluted journey was via a phone app too …. :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 10th, 2019, 9:49 am

Morning. Was nice at aroung 7am, but rolled over and went back to sleep until 10! Still in recovery mode from my day in Paris and three 4-hour nights I think. I did sleep for almost 4 hours yesterday afternoon though...

Actually the sun is coming and going now, and it's a bit breezy. Knowing us it will start raingng as we set off. Us, rather thanthe weather, because it always seems to rain in the afternoon, and we often don't get going until very late morning. No plans for today, other than continuing trying to eradicate all signs of the cluster fly infestation. Maybe some 'windscreen tourism'. Plan was to go to a market in Alencon, but I think it's too late now.

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 10th, 2019, 11:33 am

Good morning
I use the Google talking map sometimes, occasionally it throws a wobbly, the other day I was standing at the T junction at the end of the street and “she” kept telling me to continue on the street that had just come to an end but all I wanted to know was left or right, as those were the only choices. It was before I got my new specs so I couldn’t easily look at the screen. She also tends to tell me to (for example) “head NE towards Leman Street”, not sure how I can navigate by heading towards somewhere I’ve never been or heard of before

We had torrential rain for a while in the night, now we have the kind of wind that blows over plants, and it keeps going from sun to dark as the clouds scum over. I went out and put bungee cords to hold the bin lids on, it’s not cold

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 10th, 2019, 11:33 am

good morning, all.
the sun is peeking through at the moment but by the time i get my bum in gear it'll probably be wet. as i need to get some washing done it'll have to be dried indoors i think.
it is so nice to sleep in the right bed.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2019, 10:58 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment. last night's wind has dropped.
the checking of the vacuum cleaner is needed. my partner says it's blowing dust everywhere - i think it may need the filter cleaning - not something he checks - not that he uses the vacuum that often.
coffee has been offered - i'll go check the vacuum, put the next load of washing on, change bedding and do unavoidable hswk after it has been drunk.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 11th, 2019, 11:47 am

Good morning all :)
Feeling virtuous as hsewk, washing and baking have all happened this morning. I took time out to give my halo a quick buff too ;)
Now for a quick :mug: before assembling pasties and picking the purple sprouting for supper ... then the day is mine to play with.
Have a lovely day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 11th, 2019, 5:32 pm

suffolk wrote:and picking the purple sprouting for supper

i did that, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 12th, 2019, 8:44 am

Morning. Sitting at home waiting for the builder to come.
Planning to go to Flers to do some shopping for London if we can leave him to it.
Ah, I think I hear a car on the lane...

Last edited by Herbidacious on March 12th, 2019, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 12th, 2019, 8:55 am

Good morning
Good luck with the builder and the shopping Herbi
I suppose you’ll miss the worst of the storm down in Normandy but I think we will all feel it I’m Great Britain

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 12th, 2019, 8:58 am

good morning, all.
the wind has subsided for a while but it's still raining.
off to yoga in a bit. i haven't been for a couple of weeks what with a cold and being away. i hope they don't mind that i'm still coughing a bit.
probably a coffee with a friend after.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 12th, 2019, 9:01 am

scullion wrote:the checking of the vacuum cleaner is needed. my partner says it's blowing dust everywhere - i think it may need the filter cleaning - not something he checks - not that he uses the vacuum that often.

No-one, apart from me, who has ever used my vac cleaner has ever emptied it, just carried on regardless. This was most obvious after my illness and major op 3.5 years ago when I had to rely on friends and family to keep the place looking respectable ... :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 12th, 2019, 9:09 am

to be fair he does empty it, usually, even though he doesn't often use it. checking that the pipe wasn't blocked was not on his mental list - and i don't think he even knew there was a washable filter - which was full of plaster dust again (i only washed it a few weeks ago). a good clean up of the vacuum is another job on the list before any hswk takes place.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 12th, 2019, 9:21 am

It was windy yesterday, but nothing drastic. Apparently we will be having quite a trompette (edit ??!! I meant tempête ) shortly, which might send the builders off. Hopefully it won't stop us going out.
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 12th, 2019, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Good afternoon all :D

Wet and windy here but all jobs and shopping has been done so some leek and potato soup then I’ll see if the Cheltenham Festival has survived Storm Gareth ...

Stay indoors folks and have a cosy afternoon :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 12th, 2019, 3:04 pm

It must be vacuum cleaner week
I had to dismantle and clean the head from mine yesterday, the one that has whizzing rollers to pick up fluff. I had to get out my A level dissection kit to extract a load of dental floss and a lump of chewed rubber bands round something solid - drawing pin? Then I washed the parts that I can wash and put them on a radiator to dry.

Now I’ve got to put the thing back together :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2019, 8:02 am

good morning, all.
overcast and breezy. it's coming from the north west so not too bad for us. the sun is due in a short while.
off to the farm in an hour or so. my partner doesn't need the car so i may go shopping afterwards. the farm up the road had leeks, a cabbage, cauli (and potatoes which we didn't need) but of course no fruit.
the vacuum looks like new - not sure about the state of some of the insides - i decided not to undo screws, just cleaned the parts that were ok to immerse or where i could get my hands - and the filter of course. i now need to take it off maximum suck now it's back to 'domestic' use - the rugs were almost sucked up!
better shift - i want a coffee before i go.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2019, 8:15 am

All organised and ready for the plumber to start work in the bathroom at 8:30. OH will be off to work a bit later so one big jug of water for :mug: should be enough for the duration of the disconnection.
The only imperative for today is to make bread ... apart from that, as I need to be here I shall have to hold the sofa down (important in this gusty wind) get my knitting out and listen to recordings of Brain of Britain/Round Britain Quiz or watch the racing ... maybe some of each.

Have a lovely day and hang onto your hats folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

Good morning
The vacuum thingy went back together with surprisingly little drama, and it works better and quieter than before

We have kaleidoscopic sun and cloud, driven by a wind that’s keeping the daffodils at a 45 degree angle, coming as expected from NW, from which I’m quite sheltered, so not looking forward to walking round the corner when I go for my noon time dental check

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 14th, 2019, 8:43 am

Morning. Dull and wet here this morming - so not much different from Normandy! Calais was a bit of a 'mare last night. Lorries backed up for miles and most of the exits to the tunnel terminal blocked.
Cats very meowy and purry. I could do with a day at home with them... :) But off to work shortly. Only a two day week, but I am an on a writing course all day each day this weekend, so no lie ins for the forseeable future.
I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 14th, 2019, 9:14 am

good morning, all.
overcast and a tad windy.
i have set today aside for teapot painting. hang the hswk.
that will be when i get my bum in gear - i'm having your lie-in, herbi, sorry.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2019, 10:03 am

Torrential rain a few moments ago ... now wall to wall blue sky and bright sunshine 8-)
DD is on her way here for a day of shopping, chatter and lunch ... and perhaps a little garden centre browsing between a shower or two.
Enjoy your day everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop