good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2019, 11:12 am

Good morning
We have a yellow weather warning here, and my daffodils agree, they are definitely dancing

Came in late last night as I got to Liverpool Street station to catch my local train home was not running - no trains at all on the Cheshunt line, not planned so probably wind related. Caught a bus, it’s a 24 hour service but of course I got in late

My new passport arrived an hour ago. It seems very thin. But at least I have an id

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 15th, 2019, 6:38 am

It's still blowing a ruddy hooley out there ! My daffs are positively break dancing, some have even broken off !!!! :( I am just hopeful that the gales will have subsided by next Monday...... How long can this go on. I have given up trying to blow dry my hair into a decent style, Mother nature seems to want it to appear rough and ragged so I have gone over to a strong spray and scrunching it up pixie style. It feels a bit Brillo paddish at the moment. :shock:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 15th, 2019, 10:54 am

Good morning
Blowing here too, due to start raining just as I go out to the dental hygienist early afternoon

The cemetery park has been closed all week, as it’s wooded and the trees are left deliberately unpruned for the wild life, I went in their the last day it was open, there were some big branches down

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 16th, 2019, 5:41 am

Just let the fluffs out and I have to say it is calmer and reasonably warm for the time of year....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2019, 6:03 am

Good morning all :D
I woke early and the robin was singing outside ... there was no point in trying to go back to sleep ... I’ve had a :mug: and a small banana and am ready to start my day ... but if I do I’ll wake OH so I’ll noodle instead ...
have a good Saturday everyone :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2019, 8:42 am

Morning. Lovely weather here after yesterday. However I shall be in an office type building all day. I am on an all-weekend writing course. I had my moments when I started making up excuses not to go today, but I shall persist. Off in 15 mins.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2019, 10:54 am

It was lovely here, but clouding
A little breezy and overcast now, forecast says the sun might come back later

No great plans for today but will continue to make progress with my filing mountain I hope

Have a good Paddy’s day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2019, 6:02 pm

There was thunder and snow in central London half way through the afternoon!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Didn’t see any snow but hail hit my roof windows about 2 minutes after I got in from my walk
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 18th, 2019, 11:20 am

good morning, all.
damp but not raining and the wind has dropped back to a normal breeze.
nothing planned other than hswk - when i get round to it.
i'm reasonably pleased with the teapot - a small bit of colour run is the only mar i can see - tant pis. i hope it's what the recipient wanted - if not - tant pis!
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 12:02 pm

A bright day here and there are two lines of washing flapping ... downstairs is buffed and shiny and the bathroom just needs a wipe over cos it had a proper seeing to before the plumber came on Friday. Then all I have to do is make broccoli and Stilton soup for lunch and the afternoon can be my lobster (given that I can no longer tolerate oysters).

Have a great day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2019, 1:38 pm

I am fighting the filing. Thought I’d sussed Mum’s Barclays five, then I noticed it includes 3 account numbers not 2. Grr.

I was also fighting my sound system. I have one of those cute little Bose Wave CD / radio thingummybobs, and I use Echo Dot + Alexa to attach it to the internet as there is no radio signal in here. Been really annoying me that sometimes the radio only comes out of the left speaker and the right hand one is dead. Played a CD, right hand speaker in A1 condition, stereo split accurate. Kept trying this and that and finally figured it out.

If I play BBC radio through the Sounds app on my iPhone or iPad using the Dot simply as a Bluetooth link, it all works perfectly :)

If I say “Alexa, play. BBC Radio London” she plays it from the Tune In streaming service in less than glorious mono :(

Really stupidly annoying and time wasting.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2019, 2:59 pm

StokeySue wrote:Didn’t see any snow but hail hit my roof windows about 2 minutes after I got in from my walk

It looked like snow. I was on the 2nd floor of the City Lit at the time.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm

The BBC showed snow swirling across the cameras at the Milwall ground, so there certainly was some
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2019, 6:25 pm

We had heavy hail yesterday ... the garden was white for half an hour and the local media is full of pics of Norwich streets white as if covered with snow.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 19th, 2019, 8:23 am

good morning, all.
brightly overcast at the moment and we are promised sun in a short while.
yoga this morning. i'll put a load of washing on before i go so that my partner can put it on the line while i'm out.
not much else on.
scullion
Registered

Postby Oat » March 19th, 2019, 8:43 am

Good morning everyone. We are going to wensleydale for a week with the tin tent today. Sunny and calm here, hope we don't have another surprise from the new caravan, first time out resulted in the central heating pump trying to shake itself to bits, so we spent the night with hot water bottles and bedsocks, it was fixed the next day so we left the heating on low all night. Too hot! so Mr oat got up to turn it down and bounced his belly off the bathroom door handle, lovely bruise, then all the beeping from the control panel and his chuntering meant we were wide awake. I'm sure this week will be great :) We have hot dogs for tea, tradition as a first night. Have a good week.
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 19th, 2019, 9:43 am

Have a lovely visit Oat ... hopefully the maiden voyage uncovered all the snags and this week will be plain sailing. ;)
Hmmmm ... hotdogs .... :drool:

OH is at home today so he’s been put to use moving the sideboard and bookcases to facilitate the eviction of spiders and cleaning of windows ... having been given the chance to try it out he is at last convinced of the efficacy of a weak vinegar solution and my ‘e’ polishing cloth ... think he’d suspected it was a combination of witchcraft and clever marketing prior to today.

Now to sort the wardrobe ... I may be gone some time ....

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2019, 10:10 am

Good morning
The weather here is warm dry and overcast. The weather forecast says it will continue like that with a pollen warning, which my sinuses had already detected

It was lovely walking out to backgammon last night, a really lovely sunset, a gentle breeze, a very bright moon. And birch pollen.

No great plans for today, but there will have to be a walk

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 19th, 2019, 10:12 am

Oat, have a great time in Wensleydale just be a little cautious about the amount of water around. May be worth checking with the caravan site before you set off. Serious amounts of rainfall have facilitated lots of local flooding, but the weather is superb today.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 19th, 2019, 10:44 am

I hope you have a lovely time, Oat. I love your description of your last stay. I bought veggie hotdog(sausage)s last night from Sainsbury's. Frozen ones alas. (They stopped selling the Quorn ones in the chiller cabinet (or whatever it's called.))

I have again asked OH to hoover the stairs today. Yesterday, I asked him to pot up some plug plants. He instead potted on some plants that didn't want potting on, and drenched them with water then sat them on a tray of water. Sigh. I am afraid I was not very grateful :( I potted up the plug plants by the light of the moon (and a glimmer from the sitting room.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 20th, 2019, 8:00 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
it was sunny yesterday. i asked my partner to put the washing out, it would have finished in the machine 20 minutes after i had left for yoga. i put it out when i got back (after having a coffee with a friend) at about one o'clock. he only realised he hadn't done it when i asked him to bring it in at about six.
some men aren't good at requested jobs!
off to the farm in a bit and a handover of the teapot. tough luck if they don't like it!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 20th, 2019, 8:09 am

Indeed Scully. Thing is, mine dones't seem to know how to do the most basic things. He's actually not that unwilling at the moment, but if he remembers he tends not to do things properly. Anyway the plants he potted on seem ok.
Woke up earlier than usual so have been pottering/doing things. Went outside and notied some narcissi and daffodils that I planted in the garden are out. Tulips are in bud. Some are quite short. Not sure if that's something I have failed do to (but they did go in fresh compost) or if they are dwarf varieties. I think quite a lot have not come up, but I left it rather late and some were mouldy or even rotten.
There is also a bit of wild garlic coming up. Not as much as there should be... more is on order and will go into a small raised bed.
Anyway. Spring :) I will be sewing some seeds this weekend, I hope.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 20th, 2019, 8:15 am

Good morning
Really dim and overcast but warm and no forecast of rain

Need to get on with my own planting and potting but certain bits of filing need to be done by tomorrow afternoon as I have to prepare a document pack to take to an appointment on Friday

But this morning I am out to the macular disease support group we are trying to get going

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 20th, 2019, 9:01 am

Watching bluetits popping in and out of a nestbox ... I’ve a feeling the eggs have hatched :D

Bread to make today and tennis at 11 ... I need to synchronise the proving with the tennis so it’s ready to go in the oven when I get back ... the complexities of a retired life :lol:

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 20th, 2019, 11:38 am

Ooh how exciting Suff!

We should try a nesting box again. We had one at our last place. It took a couple of years before it was used.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2019, 11:32 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
falling asleep on the sofa, last night, i was then awake until hearing the dawn chorus. i will not be doing that tonight!
the bird with the amazing song has added a couple of different phrases, one of which sounds like a strangled budgerigar.
i have just been handed a cup of coffee. i will do it justice.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2019, 12:06 pm

I seem to have been busy not achieving things so far this morning. I have lots to do, but no brain. A 4-hour nighter again.
Dull out. We are supposed to get some sunshine on Sunday.
Just took delivery of some wild garlic in the green. I don't need to open the box to know what it is!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 21st, 2019, 12:26 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Just took delivery of some wild garlic in the green

Hope you didn't pay for this … I have plenty in my garden and could have sent you some ;) :rolleyes: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2019, 12:39 pm

I did indeed pay for it! I plan to put it in a small raised bed all of its own. (Or maybe put some other herbs in as well, otherwise it will become a cat toilet :o )
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 21st, 2019, 12:52 pm

Good afternoon all :D

Gardening has been happening. Now we’re indoors again and it’s lunchtime. This afternoon there is a curry to make for supper.

Re wild garlic ... there are a couple of plants known as ‘wild garlic’. The delicious broad-leaved one that grows in damp woodlands and hedgebanks is Allium ursinum aka Ramsons.
Another is Allium triquetrum aka Three Cornered Leek ... the leaves look a bit like bluebell leaves and smell strongly of onion. Although the latter is edible, it’s the other one, Ramsons that is prized in cooking.
The Allium triquetrum is also invasive in gardens and can be a right PITA :rolleyes:

Have a lovely afternoon everyone :D

Someone heard that I wanted wild garlic and gave me the wrong one ... although it stayed in the pot it seeded everywhere ... I’ve just been pulling it up by the handful in the front garden.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2019, 12:58 pm

These should be Allium Ursinum insfar that that's what I ordered. I have had them from this company before.

A colleague brought a load of the other sort into work masquerading as ransoms. I said 'no thanks'!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2019, 1:01 pm

suffolk wrote:The Allium triquetrum is also invasive in gardens and can be a right PITA

so true - we would never be able to remove it from out garden (along with montbretia) unless we used strong chemicals. we just go with the flow and enjoy the carpet of white flowers in spring.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 21st, 2019, 4:16 pm

suffolk wrote:Re wild garlic ... there are a couple of plants known as ‘wild garlic’. The delicious broad-leaved one that grows in damp woodlands and hedgebanks is Allium ursinum aka Ramsons.

Dear Teri (Mrs Woof) sent me some from her garden a few years ago and it's really taken off in my woodland garden. I think of her when it is in flower. :luv:

If we ever manage to move house I shall take some with me.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 21st, 2019, 7:25 pm

Mine is Ramsons …. although it is spreading from where I originally planted it (a damp shady raised bed), I don't mind as it disappears once the flowers are gone and the leaves die back. I really don't use it enough and generally forget it is there :( :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 22nd, 2019, 10:24 am

good morning, all.
sunnier than the met predicted, last night, but similar to what anyone could have predicted, then, looking at the cloud map progression.
i have a load of seed potatoes that need to go in. better do it while the sun is shining. i also need to go and prime some concrete.
coffee was offered about half an hour ago - maybe i should go and make it myself.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 23rd, 2019, 10:55 am

good morning, all.
brightly overcast - enough sun to cook by, though, thinks my partner.
i will be sorting wall plates (switches etc not the round things that other people collect) and sewing squares, today, - as well as putting on the washing that i didn't do the other day. better go and do that while i remember.

ps concrete cleaned, still need to prime.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 23rd, 2019, 11:00 am

Washing on the line, crumble in the oven, cheese sauce made for this evening’s macaroni cheese and macaroni is bubbling in the pot. While washing up I’ve been watching bluetits popping in and out of the nestbox on the big ash tree ... in these days of Mayhem thank goodness for the little things that make us smile :D :tu:

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 23rd, 2019, 11:21 am

Morning

Dull here. Lots of birds, including my fave long tailed tits. I need to go and get some more food though.

Just managed to persuade OH to let us book flights to Denmark for a weekend there in April :) Of course the Ryanair flights which were supposed to be £19.99 ended up being £52. But still pretty cheap. We are going to Aarhus. The catalyst for this is an art instillation that looks fun, but I've only been once, very briefly, to Denmark, so it's new territory to me, and thus exciting. We still have the snoring issue but have decided to give it a try. If it's truly awful, we can always get another room.

re the art instillation, a young colleague is going to Japan for three weeks (not sure how she can afford this! She's just bought a flat...) and I was looking up stuff for her. I am afraid I am a bit envious. Ditto two other colleagues going to America. I really wanted to go to one or the other, and it was on the cards, but now... expensive hols are out of the question this year, as although we could afford it - we've not been anywhere adventurous since 2016 - it would make OH too anxious. Irony is though that if/when if he gets a job, he won't want to take the time out for them.
Anyway.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/aros/

Also trying to get a summer holiday booked. We are thinking about Languedoc Roussillon - I would like to stay in the vicinity of Beziers, as this seems within striking day trip reach of quite varied places. The Camargue, Carcassonne (I now it's a tourist trap but husband hasn't been) and even Spain.

Anyway feeling a bit more positive as a result.

Need to go off and get gardening supplies today. Better get going!

I hope everyone is having a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop