good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » May 4th, 2019, 9:43 am

Good morning
Weather same as Herbi’s

Been out to chiropodist - a long trek, approx 80 metres

Finishing coffee will go to farmers market and new zero waste shop in a mo, this shop apparently has good locally roasted coffee beans, so taking my jar

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 4th, 2019, 9:47 am

The thing about naked gardening is... insect bites and scratches, but maybe not the former at this time of year. And not the latter if it's sowing seeds in pots or Margot Leadbetter style gardening.

(Picking fruit just over half way in.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvn-8b ... e=youtu.be
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 4th, 2019, 9:56 am

Busybee wrote:Each to their own, but she should really be wearing some footwear when using the garden fork! Accident waiting to happen :lol:

BB

Don't! Bro was only three and a half when he tried to copy Granny spiking the f ront grass with a fork!!! He pinned his sandalled foot to the lawn ... hospital and tetanus jabs were involved. :shock: As a concerned older sister of nearly five I remember it well
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 5th, 2019, 9:01 am

Nice and sunny this momring. First washing load on, buy beyond that I am still in pyjamas. I have been 'busy' researching gardening things and how to make a photobook of old photos for my mother, but ought to get up and do things.

It's my mother's 91st on Thursday. I have left it a bit late to get a photobook done, but might go ahead anyway. Not a good plan to wait for her 92nd, I think.

Not sure what I am doing today. Loads of house stuff that needs doing, but maybe we will go for a trip in the car. Our New Zealand Heritage card (covers most EH and NT) finally arrived :) Or more mundanely, Bromley for Lakeland - I need a few things I can't get elsewhere.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 5th, 2019, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 5th, 2019, 9:21 am

good morning, all.
not the completely clear day forecast yesterday but we still should have a fair amount.
we shared one of the artichokes yesterday, it was gorgeous.
my partner has just handed me a pot with an orchid in. i've asked who she is!
i think a coffee is in order.
have a grand day, everyone.

Herbidacious wrote: I have been 'busy' researching [...] how to make a photobook of old photos for my mother

we scanned a load of old photos for my partner's father and put them on a digital photo frame when he developed dementia and went into a home. we did the same for my mother a couple of years later so that she didn't have to try to juggle albums on her lap.
the photos are loaded on an sd card then the display slowly rotate through them at a rate set by you. they were both delighted with them.
they were then loaded with photos of them from their younger days and and positioned for people to look at at their respective funeral teas.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 5th, 2019, 9:25 am

Good morning all :D

I’ve a load in the machine too ... do you think that if I hang it out it’ll guarantee a nice heavy downpour to fill the butts?

I’ve had tomatoes on a slice of sundried tomato and olive whole meal toast, and now I must prep supper while listening to the Archers ... then the day is all mine ;)

Have a good day all :D
Last edited by suffolk on May 5th, 2019, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 5th, 2019, 11:01 am

Sully, I did put a load of photos on her iPad. I think she'd prefer a book so she can flick through and show people particular ones. A long as it's not too big she will be fine with it. But the digital photo frame is a nice idea. The research involved primarily what format to scan them in. 300dpi tiffs, I think. I will have a go at tidying them up on photoshop too (after doing further research), but my PS skills are rudimentary. (I know how to removed blobs and blemishes and improve the tone, and I might be able to sharpen.)

I have hung my washing out... :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 5th, 2019, 11:21 am

Herbidacious wrote:... I have hung my washing out... :?

I haven't :?
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 5th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Good morning

A friend made a lot of photo books, she used Photobox. The quality of the books is excellent, and it’s one of the few companies whose books allow proper captioning - you don’t get a lot of characters, but they exist. I am puzzled that so many charge you a fortune but the app or web portal they use has no captioning facility. I suppose you can embed captions into the photo file, but that’s a bit technical for the average happy snapper like me.

Went and found the refill shop, it’s in a little enclave I hadn’t found up an alley way. There’s the refill store, I bought coffee beans and made a note of other things, and had a nice chat with M who owns it. There’s also studios, a nice small selling gallery, a yoga workshop, a cocktail bar and a cafe that bakes its own bread and sells local craft beers. All arranged around a nice courtyard with seating. Definitely to add to my circuit.

Have a nice Sunday everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 5th, 2019, 6:07 pm

I've used photobox for calendars - I usually have a cat desk one made :) They are better than all the other companies I have tried.

I like the idea of a refill shop.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 6th, 2019, 8:50 am

good morning, all.
bright at the moment, cloud later.
i potted up/on and repotted some of my orchids, yesterday, until i ran out of bark.
potted on a fig, and would have done some other plants but i don't have any pots of the right size, only tiny or buckets. i'll blag some off a friend, tomorrow.
nothing planned for today but if it rains later i'll be sitting in front of the box to watch the last two episodes of 'line of duty'. i fell asleep during the penultimate so left my partner to watch the final one and went to bed. lazy boy cat came with me at the same time. he's still there, asleep.
i think the coffilepathy will soon be utilised.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 6th, 2019, 10:30 am

Still dry but chilly out there. Still slightly buzzing after being more or less woken up by a heron this morning (see Chatterbox).

OH is at work and we have leftovers and flatbreads for supper so I’m going to make one of these https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ora ... e-oil-cake in case there are any cracks that need filling this evening.

Enjoy your bank holiday folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 6th, 2019, 11:04 am

Herbidacious wrote:I've used photobox for calendars - I usually have a cat desk one made :) They are better than all the other companies I have tried.

I like the idea of a refill shop.

We have a zero waste shop in a nearby town Topsham. I haven't used it, but been in and had a look and been really impressed. Lots of pulses, spices, coffee etc. We also have a good farm style shop in Exeter which has a selection of fill your own pulses etc. I think ev en small changes can help in anyway
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 6th, 2019, 9:48 pm

You wonder why they are not more common...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 6th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » May 7th, 2019, 7:38 am

I was wondering what the difference was between these shops and the original 'weigh and save 'places. Admittedly a while ago but there was one in the mid 80's in Croydon which I frequented.

We have 4/5 such places here, all with a different 'take on things', one has an additional organic butchers and fruit and another has 'fluids' as well as the usual suspects.

We also now have a local jam/chutney producer that uses just 'food waste', not out of date stuff just overipe fruit etc.
Their food labelling is quite amusing, something like
'will contain one or more of the following in greater or lesser quantities' and the names are , exotic chutney, root veg chutney, mixed red fruit jam and banana plus ? jam.

*** anyone know if the following exists?
In self scan shops you weigh fruit and label prints, you scan code etc. Why isn't the barcode on screen to scan saving the paper??
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby scullion » May 7th, 2019, 8:09 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
i found a caché of plant pots in the garden yesterday. they were in a collapsible box that was being recovered, sleeping beauty style, by some brambles, in a corner. the secateurs will be utilised when i return from yoga.
the box was made into another temporary cold frame.
thanks for the link, herbi, i had no idea that there is a mobile shop that goes round some of the villages in cornwall doing the same thing. i will be going up on their next visit to the village. they have much of the stuff that the refill shop in truro has at only a small extra charge which i would spend more than if i drove to get them at any other shop. i may have to find some plastic containers to carry up - my glass storage jars may be a little heavy (and vulnerable) to take there and back if i walk.
the only weigh and print shops you describe, that i've seen, musselsandfries have been on the continent but when you weigh your stuff at a self service checkout it doesn't print a label. i think that's the nearest i get to what you describe.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 7th, 2019, 8:17 am

I always wondered why the similar shops around in the 70's/80's disappeared too. I wondered if it was to do with hygiene as in those days the food was in barrels with scoops and people could put their hands in. They had the (closed container) choice in American supermarkets including Whole Foods here.

We've just had one open here with huge fuss, a local juice shop has given the proprietors a rent free space to encourage people to buy that way (and visit the juice bar).

Not sure how you would transfer your barcode to the till but I'm sure there would be a way - probably quite expensive to set up in a small concern.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » May 7th, 2019, 8:37 am

Scullion, Our supermarkets you go to scales, weigh, print label then scan it if you are using hand held scanner. Just wondered why that code couldn't flash up on screen as well to be scanned instead of printing label.?

Earthmaiden, to be honest at least 2 of our shops are mainly those 80's style barrels with scoops, the fluids one(everything from hand soap to oils to alcohol) you have to have one of the shops containers to start you off and you re use it. (pouch or glass)

The other which some of may know from French supermarkets is the wall of plastic tubes that you pull handle to release into your recepticle (ALWAYS overspilling :o )

Probaly not strictly re : zero waste but also have a supermarket and the frozen fish, shellfish etc all loose in containers in one freezer, you mix your own and pay by weight. I love it as can get exactly what we need.

Lastly my secret favourite, bread toppings ! In Holland they have chocolate sprinkles (hagel)in over 12 varieties, muisjes (tiny balls a bit like maltesers) and 100's of 1000's in tubes that you buy a mixed pot of...... they don't go anywhere near bread but end up popping into my mouth on a teaspoon when I have a sweet craving !!
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 7th, 2019, 9:04 am

Interesting. I do wonder why those original shops closed then. I suppose it was at the time that very large out of town supermarkets sprang up which changed shopping patterns. We are veering back to different shopping patterns again now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » May 7th, 2019, 9:27 am

They prob closed because of suupermarkets as you say, althogh the concept of a deli never died out, weighed olives, sliced meat by weight etc.
Our original shop was next to a cooked meat shop, in the 80's I had never seen anything like it. Spit chickens, roast hams and knuckles, slabs of belly pork etc and the most amazing stuffed and rolled joints. All reasonable priced and run by Greeks ?/ Cypriots?

Our Turkish shop (as big as an average Aldi) has 6/8 buckets of different feta that they chop a lump off for you. Their lumps are enough to feed a family of 6 for a week !!

I have always bought 'what I need' as opposed to grabbing stuff, but I have the luxury of time to visit different shops.

Better get on and hang washing out before I disappear into a sea of food memories !!
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 7th, 2019, 10:32 am

I think the weigh shops work a little differently from the bulk zero waste shops, but we didn’t have one round here, so I only went a couple of times and I seem to remember a lot of plastic bags

The zero waste shops round here you take your own containers, and there’s also a focus on low food miles, sustainable products, etc. I don’t much like the one a little further from here, as it’s very badly lit, products are poorly labelled (that’s a sad combination) and the staff are clueless. The new one is much easier to use, and M. is very helpful. She has a good selection of such things as solid shampoo bars and other toiletries as well as the bulk groceries. She says it’s quite hard to find suppliers for cleaning products etc who supply in bulk containers then remove and reuse or recycle the drum when empty, a lot of them want to leave the containers for her to deal with. She has been unable therefore to source many unscented products.

Today, off to South Bank to play backgammon soon

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 7th, 2019, 10:38 am

Good to point that out Sue. Weigh shops differ from zero waste in that you must take your own container to the latter. I have read that supermarkets are happy to put deli items straight into your own container if you present it. I rarely buy from deli counters so haven't tried.

What a shame that bulk container disposal is a stumbling block.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 7th, 2019, 10:53 am

As I am sure many will remember, the Body Shop used to do refills. They even had a market stall on Camden market where you get things refilled. I had wondered if hygiene was their excuse for ceasing to do this. (It stopped before they sold (out.)

I am sure one of the big supermarkets does 'by weight' dry goods. Not sure if you can take your own containers. Morrisons? One I don't go to often.

Today: bright but cold. I am hugging my lamp at work. I am very sleepy so not sure if going to the British Library for work is the best idea, but that's my plan for this afternoon.

I hope everyone's day is going well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 7th, 2019, 11:43 am

Herbidacious wrote:As I am sure many will remember, the Body Shop used to do refills. They even had a market stall on Camden market where you get things refilled. I had wondered if hygiene was their excuse for ceasing to do this. (It stopped before they sold (out.)

Gosh, they did, didn't they? I'd quite forgotten that...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 7th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Herbidacious wrote:https://thezerowaster.com/zero-waste-near-you/

Nothing remotely near me :td: … thought might see something in Watford or Uxbridge :rolleyes: :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 7th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Our new one isn't listed yet Pat - they are popping up so keep looking and listening!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 7th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Re:store isn’t listed yet
Two old hippy shops, one of which I don’t use for a variety of reasons, are listed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 7th, 2019, 9:18 pm

At the T & cake tent this Scarecrow they had a system whereby if peeps brought their own cup for drink they got a free refill as well. They gave a raffle ticket that the person just presented it later and they got a 2nd cup of drink. I was quite surprised how many 'walkers' produced a host of cups from their back packs.

Back in the 80's I used to frequent a shop called 'Weigh to go' and was quite sad when it closed. Devizes has a whole food shop that has just opened a section where you do the same. What goes around, comes around, but it's not cheap !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » May 7th, 2019, 10:12 pm

I still use some of the Bodyshop bottles. :oops: :D
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 1:44 am

so do i, they were/are very good bottles.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 9:20 am

good morning, all.
damp and breezy.
there are levels of frustration in the house as editing of an essay is being done to lose a third of the word count. this could have been done by a suggested re-write with more appropriate grouping of information some days ago but wasn't. we can only suggest. tears will be shed.
i think we have had enough rain to refill the water butts, one of which was emptying fast. i think i may need to go and raise my lemon tree off the ground before it drowns.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 8th, 2019, 10:55 am

Cutting text is painful. (Bitter experience cf Austen, Dickens, Bronte and Shakespeare projects.)

The rain has eased off here. Forecast for all day.

I am utterly exhausted today. I don't know why. Impending visit to mother's? Allergic to work?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 12:00 pm

The suggested rewrite is in progress. I have mopped tears and the need for radical changes has been accepted.
I'm on coffee support at the moment while they get on with it. My input may not be necessary after the rewrite (I'm quite good at paraphrasing to reduce the word count) as that should reduce/eliminate the need.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 1:32 pm

What a horrid way to spend a wet afternoon Scully. :cocktail: :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » May 10th, 2019, 8:02 am

good morning, all.
overcast with the promise of rain.
two days solid graft of rewrite with word nibbling and slashing meant it was about ten words under the limit, better structured, more economicaly worded and submitted with about forty minutes to spare. it is so good to see the relief creep in and emergence from sheer panic and despair into elation. we are promised as much lemon drizzle cake (or any other) as we can eat, whenever we want (when shift duty allows) and we lost count of the thank-yous.
i think an afternoon nap and an early night, with the sleep of the relieved, was what happened after we left. happy bunnies all round.
today, i'm off to the walled garden to meet for a chat and coffee with one of the other gardeners and to see if anything was kept up after we finished. i want to see how the red flowered broad beans and garlic i planted last autumn are doing, too.
after that i'll be going shopping.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 10th, 2019, 9:28 am

Morning. Much brighter here today. Yesterday was horrible. I ended up potting out 40 plug plants in the rain last night!

OH had an interview in Dublin yesterday. He liked them. He's just been offered the Swindon job...

Off to mother's today...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 11th, 2019, 8:43 am

good morning, all.
sunny, hopefully, all day.
yesterday was sunny and warm (the car said 21°c) down on the south coast but wet and chill (12°c) back on the north.my partner had lit the stove by the time i got back.
the veg plots at the walled garden are totally overgrown. we thought they probably would be. much of it is veg that's flowering/gone to seed. i have bought home some leeks that had clumped, and although quite big i'll separate them out and replant them here. they are sitting in a little water at the moment.
i also picked some broad beans that were hiding in the overgrowth of the phacelia (green manure) but didn't bother with the swiss and rosy chard or the japanese salad leaves as i have enough here. the bees were having a field day on all the self seeded borage etc. the herb patch is in best condition - really good. i should have bought stuff home to dry - should have taken a bigger bag!
i have a few bits to squeeze into the barren wasteland if i can find space. maybe a leek or two, some strawberry plants i was given yesterday and three young nicotiana plants, 50p each, from a stall at the side of the road in rr, in aid of the air ambulance.
said patch is now full enough that it's no longer considered useable by the local cats - result - and it's looking good. a mad mix of flowers and edibles.
better go and do some of the hswk that has been put off for a while.
have a grand day, everyone.

ps. the bluebells are beginning to go over down at penrose but they still look good.

IMG_1010.JPG
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 11th, 2019, 9:53 am

Good morning
It seems to have been a fantastic year for bluebells and wisteria across the south of England, presumably due to the ground warming up so early

We have had showers so far this morning which I hope are stopping as the Spring Fayre (predictive text changed Fayre to Fahrenheit) in the park over the road; in fact the sun has peeped out while I am typing :D

Going to see the Gainsborough Girls at the Tower Theatre tonight, this is a play by Cecil Beaton which I assumed was about the Gainsborough film studios which aren’t far from here, but apparently it is about the painter and his family, all panniers and powdered wigs

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 11th, 2019, 10:46 am

Good morning all ... just :D

Washing on line, bathroom clean and shiny and bread made and cooling ... a gardening phone chat with DD ... apparently DS is busy setting up for another one of these https://www.secretcinema.org/ .... his busy time of year is starting ......

Now I'd better have a think about my writing group 'homework' ..........

Have a lovely weekend everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 11th, 2019, 7:34 pm

A lovely peaceful evening here tonight. This is the view from our front garden. So pleased to have potatoes planted in this field this year. And the swallows and martins have arrived!

D66D2021-EA8F-43FF-A448-DDE36B6998DF.jpeg
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 11th, 2019, 8:09 pm

What lovely Spring pictures!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 11th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Lovely Pat!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 12th, 2019, 8:15 am

A real Simpson's’ Sky out there ... I’m going to get out there with the hoe if my shoulder doesn’t object too much ... OH says he’ll get the mower out in a bit ... have a lovely day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2019, 8:38 am

Good morning
We had sun and showers all day yesterday, it didn’t seem to dampen the Spring Fayre too much, I think the mood was improved by the addition of a beer tent this year.

Today is the plant sale I though was last week, perfect weather for it, sunny and not too hot

Jay Rayner has reviewed the restaurant Scully. Not offering to treat you scully, the prices are :o but it sounds good

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2019/may/12/jay-rayer-restaurant-review-ramael-scully-mayfair?__twitter_impression=true
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 12th, 2019, 9:21 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
that's ok sue, when my premium bonds come up with the big one i'll let you eat for free!
the meat free leaning does sound refreshing in a high end restaurant.
nothing planned for today - maybe i should tackle some hswk (shudder).
tomorrow, i'm helping a friend reupholster a chaise longue.
have a happy sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 12th, 2019, 9:28 am

Lovely and sunny here. Not sure what I shall do today. Last week took it out of me. I didn't wake up until 9am which is most unusual. (Mind you last good night's sleep was last Sunday.) Glad to be back home today.
Need to pot some tomatoes on today. Put strawberries out?

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 13th, 2019, 7:33 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a bit of breeze.
off to a friend's in an an hour or two but before then i'll bung some washing in the machine.
i need to head to a money machine some time soon as the friend's husband has bought a load of african fabric back for me from his last trip. i may be wearing some very bright clothes in the future!
i have a few young echium plants to find a space for; they are rather sculptural and need careful positioning. a whole load have self-seeded in another friend's garden where she doesn't want them (well, not all of them) so i've now got half a dozen recovering in pots after their avulsion from their previous home.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2019, 8:05 am

Morning. Looks bright here. I’ve come down with a really nasty cold. Was awake lost of the night coughing - throat feels blocked, but I am sure it’s just inflammation. Glad I reported things before it kicked in.
Looks like the weather might be warming up soon, so can put things outside.. here’s hoping.
Decorators are here again, and husband has bunked off to Oxford...

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 13th, 2019, 8:18 am

Herbidacious wrote:Morning. Looks bright here. I’ve come down with a really nasty cold. Was awake lost of the night coughing - throat feels blocked, but I am sure it’s just inflammation.

Lovely and sunny here … I too have been sneezing for most of the last week … now left with a constantly runny nose. Still don't know whether it is a cold (not many other symptoms apart from a sore eye) or hay fever. Now I think the culprit is a cold sore high up in my nose :rolleyes: I have always suffered from cold sores (had chicken pox and shingles too) … but as I have got older, the cold sores seem to have migrated up my nose - always on the same side as I had shingles 55 years ago !
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop