good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby Zosherooney » May 13th, 2019, 8:33 am

i'm helping a friend reupholster a chaise longue.

I did one about 15 years ago - when Mr. Z. had gone to Russia for a show, it took me 3 days solid dedication, boy! did my fingers and hands hurt by the end of the project. It did not look too bad unless you looked closely, the cats like to sleep on it. I used an old pair of green velvet curtains to cover it. An upholsterer said he would have charged me £350 to do it without any fabric involved.

I have some roman blinds to make for the snug but can't stay indoors on days like these, will save that task for a rainy day.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 13th, 2019, 10:16 am

Good morning
Lovely and sunny here too
Got loads to do indoors and out, better get on

Got some strawberry plants at the sale yesterday so need to turf the corpse of Lorna Doone out of the big pot and put them in. Plant some other stuff as well. (Don’t worry, Lorna is a thyme)

Herpes viruses are a real nuisance. I had a cold but now have hay fever possibly made worse by the inflammation from the cold. I’m taking antihistamines

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2019, 11:27 am

Good morning all :D

Some of you sound very yucky :sprout: Take care of yourselves. :plink: :mug: :cocktail:

I’ve done what hwk had to be done and the bread is out of the oven ... in a bit I’ll go outside and pot on the tomatoes, but at the moment the garden is being used for intensive flying practice by some newly fledged bluetits and sparrows :D
I’ll not disturb them ... I’ll read for half an hour.

Have a good day folks. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2019, 3:01 pm

I’ve been asleep all day on and off. Every time I wake up it feels like I am drowning :(

Frankly, with all the stress of late, I am surprised this hasn’t happened earlier. Need to get better for a day trip to France next Saturday :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 13th, 2019, 3:35 pm

I think the trip to France is just what you need Herbi... take it as easy as you can... :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Thanks, Sea.

I feel a bit silly going on day trips to France when I have a house there, but it's proof of my love of going there?!! (Although, if I could do a day trip to anywhere else abroad I would be up for it, if it were not too arduous and expensive :) Didn't Edina and Patsy go to New York for the day in one episode of Ab Fab?!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Didn't Edina and Patsy go to New York for the day in one episode of Ab Fab?!)

Yes! :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 13th, 2019, 5:41 pm

You used to be able to do a day trip to Cairo, to have afternoon tea overlooking the pyramids. Very expensive though as the transport was Concorde!

Presumably you could Sipo a day trip to Belgium?

Have sorted my roof terrace, more or less. It looks better
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2019, 6:02 pm

A day trip to Paris is doable, but you'd have to get up early.
Was wondering whether to 'do' Lille with husband, primarily to revisit the art gallery. But the thought doesn't thrill me.
I am sort of thinking about weekends away again. Air travel seems to have got quite expensive now. Was looking at Lisbon, but it ain't cheap to get there even by the likes of Easyjet. I suppose there is less competition now?
I will either have to go on my own or try and find an apartment wherever I go. We are going to Languedoc onn July 5th for 8 days, then possibly a week (certainly a few days) in the house in Normandy at the beginning of August, so maybe I don't need another jolly before September/October.
Back to travel costs (kind of) this day trip to France was pretty much the last possible one at the day return rate for some time. Inexplicably (?) they were only offering the outward parts of cheaper day returns from this date on, more or less. So how can they have sold the returns but not the outward portions? Is this my fuzzy cold head preventing comprehension? It's not like there are no places left. There are places at the higher rate available (or were when I booked 6 weeks or so ago.).
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 13th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Bilbao is a good place for a weekend, direct flights by easyJet to a modern airport within the public bus service (bus and tram are very good but the centre is easily walked). Apart from the Guggenheim there are other museums and galleries, lovely covered market, bars, restaurants etc. As it’s Spain all attractions closed on Monday.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 14th, 2019, 6:55 am

Ah yes I had forgotten about Bilbao. That’s a very good idea. Thanks, Sue.

Looks a little dull out right now but the forecast is for lovely weather. Pity I will be stuck inside.

I hope everyone’s day goes well.
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 14th, 2019, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 14th, 2019, 8:03 am

good morning, all.
sunny and breezy - it would have been a good quilt drying day if i'd got my bum in gear to wash it but i'm running late for getting to yoga on time. maybe i'll do it when i get back - it's not going to rain tomorrow although it won't be as sunny.
i think the sun will be baking bread, today.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2019, 8:13 am

Good morning
We have bright sunshine but not yet that warm as it got very cool overnight, though I did move to the lighter duvet yesterday, which has worked out

Need to get on with some stuff but out later. Lunch outside I think.

Feels like summer though, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2019, 10:44 am

Good morning all

Excuse me if I have to dash off ... I’m blindbaking the pastrycase for an asparagus quiche for supper. The birds are
Queuing up for the birdbath and OH is in the studio with the radio on ...All’s good with my world :D

Have a lovely day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 15th, 2019, 7:21 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment and the breeze has dropped.
we're going for an early (for us) walk on the beach (in about half an hour) - we should get pristine sand - one of life's little treats.
i'll have some tiny basil plants to prick out soon. they are in one of my collapsible-box cold frames so won't need a great deal of effort to harden them off when the time comes - as long as slugs don't get them. i've also got to find space for peas, gigantes beans and sweet peas that are all pushing at the glass.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 15th, 2019, 8:03 am

Morning. Looks like another lovely day out. I am feeling a bit better, but still bedridden as decorator is in the sitting room. My lungs are still making a crackling sound though... but at least I can breathe more easily.
Well enough to feel frustrated by the messy house and garden but not well enough to do anything about it (and if I were, I’d be going to work anyway.)
I hope everyone has a good day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 15th, 2019, 9:58 am

StokeySue wrote:You used to be able to do a day trip to Cairo, to have afternoon tea overlooking the pyramids. Very expensive though as the transport was Concorde!

Presumably you could Sipo a day trip to Belgium?

Have sorted my roof terrace, more or less. It looks better

When we lived in Kent we would do Le Touquet or Brugges for the day quite easily. Hop onto the Chunnel at 9 and be in Brugges in time for morning coffee. Great lunch and then a wine sweep at the hypermarket and home by 10. The savings we made on booze more than covered the cost of going. We preferred to go to the beach in Le Touquet than the beaches of the south coast! Now of course we have beautiful beaches on our doorstep. We are going to our favourite beach after picking up GS from nursery. We'll bbq some sausages and toast marshmallows as it's Archie's 4th birthday today!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 15th, 2019, 10:10 am

Morning all, late today as I was up at 4.45 to get Mr. Z. on the road for 5.30 for a 6am start. I have not stopped since.

Herb I hope you feel better by the weekend.....

Sally Anne has now started 'picking' on Gridge (14 yr. old) She has now gone out, rare for her at this time of day. I try and divert her attn. but she is persistent.

I'm disappointed with Tupperware, I bought a shaker (for whipping cream) about 15 years ago, was assured it was guaranteed for life but the wheel that does the whipping is/has disintegrated. I have contacted a UK distributor and has been advised that there is no lifetime guarantee in the UK. I have used this item about 25 times in its whole life so just wondered if anyone else has had any experience they might wish to share ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 15th, 2019, 11:38 am

We might go to Boulogne on the day trip on Saturday assuming I am well enough. We went to Le Touquet last time.

But you can’t necessarily just hop on. The day fare is sold throughout much of July and August and some of June, certainly at the weekends. But maybe they will add more?!

I still get a buzz out of just going abroad...

Thanks Zosh. I am still sneezing a lot :?

Naughty cats!

I don’t not think I have any genuine Tupperware. (Remember going to a party with my mother in the 70s though.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Good after morning :D

Back from tennis ... rather chuffed ‘cos my partner and I beat the rather obnoxious ‘B’ .... twice :bounce: :tu:

I don’t often take against people but he really is one of the most unpleasant and opinionated people I’ve met in a long time. He’s also very competitive and tries to use his superior strength and fitness against the older and less physically able players. Almost all of us are older (I’m one of the youngest) with a medical dictionary's worth of health conditions ... all except him (well, he does complain of the occasional bout of plantar fasciitis but that’s nothing to some of the others ) We just play for fun and to help our fitness(coordination and reaction times etc) and we frequently forget to keep score ... all except for ‘B’ who plays to win and gets upset when he doesn’t .,. My goodness was he cussin’ today :lol:

After tennis I did some food shopping, after I’d unpacked and put that lot away I made two cottage pies ... one for tonight and one for the freezer ... then I got the washing off the line and that’s been folded and put away.
Now I’m going to put my feet up for a bit ...

Enjoy the afternoon everyone smile
Last edited by suffolk on May 15th, 2019, 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 15th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Well done, Suffs!

The decorators have gone here. What a relief! They are very quiet and considerate, but it's very good to have the house back. Just watching the starlings feed their greedy fledglings on the bird feeder now. Given up on napping.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Good for you Suffs! He sounds like a right obnoxious PITA. Glad you trounced him. :D :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 16th, 2019, 8:26 am

good morning, all.
overcast but dry.
low tide is in about an hour so we're off to the beach we may even have coffee down there, today.
better shift.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2019, 10:01 am

Another nice day here.

No more decorators :)

And I am feeling a bit better.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 10:19 am

Good morning folks :D

Glad you're feeling more yourself Herbi :tu:

Enjoy the beach Scully ... a bit chilly and breezy to sit on the North Sea coast today even if the sun is shining.

Think I'd better get on with my U3A homework ...

Have a lovely day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2019, 10:32 am

Good morning
Was very sunny earlier, though with a cool breeze that has now brought some clouds

Good to hear you feel better Herbi
Could do with a walk along the beach, will have to settle for an amble down the A10 to the shop I need to visit

have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2019, 11:43 am

I have been bird watching again. So many bue tits and great tits, and I just found out where one lot are nesting. There is a little hole in teh wall, next to oe of the bathroom windows.

I am trying to convince husband that they will do no harm. They won't will they...?

Meanwhile, wasps keep going into the hole that the French window security bolts slot into... :? Odd. You wouldn't think there would be room for a nest in a window frame.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 16th, 2019, 11:51 am

Herbidacious wrote:I have been bird watching again. So many bue tits and great tits, and I just found out where one lot are nesting. There is a little hole in teh wall, next to oe of the bathroom windows.I am trying to convince husband that they will do no harm. They won't will they...?

They would only nest in a hole that is already there. How exciting .. you will be setting up a camera next and videoing their goings on ;) :tu: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Glad for the thumbs up, there, Pat. OH is liable to overreact to incursions of nature into the house :) Given that we have hornets and stone martens in the French house though, blue tits seem pretty innocuous. It's possible that the hole connects to the attic. so I guess we should perhaps avoid going in there for the now (and hope they are not pooing on things. Although they nest in little holes, not big attics, so this seems unlikely?) There are clearly babies, and frenetic feeding going on - even from the feeder that's just 6 ft from the French windows.

I was thinking of getting a nesting box with a camera last month, but realized it was a bit late for this year, so maybe next year.

Meanwhile (again!) I think I am now allowed to say that OH has been formally offered a job (in the City) and is right now faxing a signed contract back. I am not quite :bounce: because he isn't at all :? It's not a trading job and he is rather mourning the loss (as he sees it) of that career, I think, and is worried that the new job won't be stimulating enough. I feel sad and slightly guilty that he feels like this (I have encouraged him to take the job as it will be more stable, more healthy (less stress and if not a 9-5 then at least not an 8am-9pm), and he can't keep trading forever anyway.) but hopefully he will feel happier once he gets used to the idea. It's funny how one can go from being so desparate as to apply for jobs in Wokingham (! :) ) to rather reluctantly signing up for a really good job in the City. I am waiting for a flood of relief to overtake me :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Good news about the job Herbi, hope he loves it when he gets there
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Thanks. It's been a bit of a roller coaster.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 16th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Great news Herbi :bounce: …. at least it's easier looking for a new job if you are already employed, but hopefully he will realise that it is all for the better :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 16th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Herbi Just wanted to say good news about OH's job and I hope he grows into it!

I really wanted to say that if you have hornets in your French house the pompiers will deal witth them for a moderate charge. I think I am correct in saying the martens are protected like certain species of bats but the Mairie will be ablt to advise. W so we had to block everythin toe had problems with doormice when the top floor was not yet renovated. They can't get in now!. DD had problems with swifts next door they could get in but not ou so we had to block everything off and leave one window ajar to let them escape.
I'm afraid if one lives in an old house surrounded by nature, however red in tooth and claw you just have to accept it and ask advice from poeple who know more about the hazards and remedies than you. Stay cool you'll laugh about it one day :hug: :hug:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Herbi - great news that we're not going to be neighbours :lol: :lol: . The best result for you - I hope OH likes it once settled. What a relief! :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 16th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Herbi, congratulations to you and your OH - I hope that the new role will be enjoyable and easier for both of you to live with.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 16th, 2019, 3:09 pm

That's really good news Herbi! I shall keep all crossed that Mr Herbi settles in well. :wave: :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Fantastic news Herbi :hi5: I hope he enjoys the new challenges waiting for him :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Thank you all! He starts mid August, so plenty of time for him to do all those improvements around the house now... :D :?

Rats, apparently the hornets are ones that don't attack unless you attack them, according to our neighbours... It does mean we can't open windows in summer but we can live with that. However it may be on the list of things to get sorted at some point. We have just had the colombage mended and are about to get the roof done (but not got on with it as the workmen want cash, which of course is dodgy, but not, I think, illegal as we are not residents, unless they don't pay tax... which of course they won't... )
The main problem with the fouines is that they pee and poo in the attic space. (It also sounds like someone is moving furniture around up there.) Also possibly have nibbled electrics which is more worrying. (Getting that looked is on the list for August.) Actually just occurred to me that getting the roof (semi) done may help, temporarily at least.
The house certainly has been suffering from wildlife incursions of late. Aka neglect. We had not been able to go over much because of OH being in Germany.
In April there was the hideous hibernating cluster fly plague, plus ladybirds, and I also noticed some mouse dropping upstairs last time. Sigh. Husband plans to go over possibly next week on his own.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2019, 6:00 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Great news Herbi :bounce: …. at least it's easier looking for a new job if you are already employed, but hopefully he will realise that it is all for the better :tu:

That's what I have been saying to him.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 17th, 2019, 8:49 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment, clouding later.
Herbidacious wrote:Meanwhile, wasps keep going into the hole that the French window security bolts slot into... Odd. You wouldn't think there would be room for a nest in a window frame.

i'd be marginally concerned if there were a noticeable number going in and out - they could be using the actual window frame to make the nest. they chew up wood to turn it into the paper needed to make the nest.
glad you're feeling more settled. i think it's quite normal to have total changes of career, quite a few people i know, including my daughter (and me, come to that), have headed in totally different areas from their original profession. she, in particular, is far happier and relaxed than she ever was in the land of suits.
off to the beach in an hour.
coffee is in my hand.
all's well with the world - especially as we were bought a, still warm, lemon drizzle cake yesterday lunchtime by our son. i'm embarrassed to say it's half gone. it wasn't/isn't a small one. the walk on the beach is a necessity!
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

Good morning
If it’s a cavity wall then the frame will only cap the end of the cavity
We had a wasp nest at my previous flat, the external window ledge had a little gap where it rested on the outer skin of bricks, and the wasps went in and built a nest in the cavity wall. The man from the council came and dealt with it, said it was quite common

Grey here
Out for the start of London Open Backgammon weekend later so tidying up first

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 17th, 2019, 10:37 am

It was the hole the bolt goes into - they were possibily just scoping out a possible home? Am keeping the bolt in and if I want to open the door, will put sellotape or some such over the hole.

Very dull here today. Still enjoying the bird display in the garden. I am going a bit stir crazy though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 17th, 2019, 10:39 am

re the job, I think he fears it will not be interesting or challenging enough (this fear somewhat promoted by the interviewers saying that they feared it would not be interesting or challenging enough for him), but he will just have to see how it goes.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » May 17th, 2019, 11:03 am

Herbidacious wrote:re the job, I think he fears it will not be interesting or challenging enough (this fear somewhat promoted by the interviewers saying that they feared it would not be interesting or challenging enough for him), but he will just have to see how it goes.

The vast majority of people do jobs like this, some lucky ones find what they do interesting and challenging. We work because we have to earn money. It's a requirement for most of us not a fun hobby. Your hubby may have liked his previous job but, from what I've read on here, it didn't seem to be doing either of you a lot of good (sorry if this offends it's not intended to).

Work to live not live to work.

By the way I'm really pleased for you both he has a job.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 17th, 2019, 12:07 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:
The vast majority of people do jobs like this, some lucky ones find what they do interesting and challenging.

I think that is so true...even true vocations, and occupations which seem very exciting have long boring bits! I have spent a lot of time in cutting edge operating theatres, and I’ve often thought that so much of a surgeons life is so hum drum...waiting around for theatres to be ready, scrubbing up, vast amounts of paperwork and meetings. The actual exciting/challenging bit is quite a small proportion of the working day.
I hope your OH settles into his job Herby, and I hope he has great people to work with, such an important bit of any job.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 17th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I finished my working life working for social services ... a job I’d never considered before ... my education, training and almost all of my work experience had been in the Arts (visual and performing). However one of the effects of my then undiagnosed hypothyroid condition was that I was no longer able to present myself or perform at interview in a way that would get me that sort of job any more. I always was called for interview, but ... :rolleyes: so I had to take the sort of job I could get ... it proved to be interesting ... with times that got the adrenaline pumping just as at a private view or first night or whatever.

As my health improved there were times that I asked myself what on earth I was doing there surrounded by colleagues who had little sense of humour and little or no interest (or energy for) attending the theatre, galleries, discussing literary ideas etc etc etc ... but they were good people and at least their ethics/morals etc aligned with my own and no one could say that the job I did wasn’t worthwhile. I worked there from my mid 40s until I retired ... it was a job
... it paid the bills and there was a pension.

I would’ve loved to go back to the arts (after all Soc. Services was one of the first places I’d ever worked without live music and a bar ;) ) but that option was no longer available to me.

Not preaching ... trying to say ‘I understand’ :D
Last edited by suffolk on May 17th, 2019, 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm

You are, of course, right Slimpersoninside, and it was doubtless inappropriate of me to say how he felt in the first place. It's just that since I have burdened people with the situation for a while, it would seem odd not to be ecstatic about his new appointment (It's hard to be when he feels sad), so I tried to explain, but needn't/perhaps shouldn't have done so.

The thing is he does live to work. This is partly why being unemployed affects him so badly from a mental health point of view. He's always been like this, or at least since I met him, although in those days it was his doctoral research that was the work - it's not a money thing - and he is not going to change overnight. Few of us ever do. He had several options (offers) in the end, and he made the sensible/more responsible choice, rather than going for one of the more interesting ones. I think he deserves some credit for that, from me, at least.

As I said, I shouldn't have menitoned it in the first place.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm

:tu: for the sensible choice ... at least until something that he feels is ‘more him’ comes along ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 17th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Thanks, Suffs. Yes. It will be fine, I am sure, and, if not, as you say... And now I hope the both of us can get on with the spring and summer, and hopefully enjoy it (together) :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 17th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Herbi, there's nothing wrong with having mentioned it. I often find it so sad that such a high percentage of people spend such a large proportion of their precious lives toiling away at something they dislike. If you can get something you look forward to each day then it makes such a difference and it makes sense to at least try to get something bearable. That said, some of my best work experiences have been the camaraderie amongst staff when doing something mundane.

Maybe if it does seem mundane there will be time to develop new interests ( which become very useful when retirement finally looms) :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop