good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » May 17th, 2019, 2:27 pm

And there’s a lot to be said for ‘easier days’ and ‘more energy for interesting/exciting activities evenings and weekends ... perhaps a hobby that gives him the adrenaline shot he needs?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » May 17th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Of course you should have mentioned it Herbi, we all need to unload sometimes and it can be so much easier in a place like this.

IMVHO it sounds as if being together more would be good for you both. As one "matures" ;) , it's worth taking time to enjoy life, don't let it pass you by in a blur of work, this isn't a rehearsal.

I think you're right about credit for taking the sensible option, I truely hope it works out. Hopefully hubby comes to terms with the new job and if, having given it a fair crack of the whip, it's really not for him he'll be in a much better place to find his ideal job.

Enjoy being with each other, maybe there'll be time for more holidays together. Whatever you do have a great time.

Edited to correct a stutter and a spelling mistake......there may be more, watch this space :D .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 18th, 2019, 5:55 am

Morning. Quite dull out. Have decided will to teh day trip to France. I probably ought not to (still coughing copiously and very tired), but... I have not left the house since last Saturday. It will be nice/strange to go out! Hoping to leave in 5 minutes but doubtful will be able to achieve this given husband is sitting opposite me, not fully dressed, eating cereal :o

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 18th, 2019, 9:39 am

good morning, all.
overcast. sunny glimpses promised for later.
nothing planned - maybe a walk on the beach, maybe some gardening, maybe some sewing, maybe some shopping - no, not the latter, i'll go when the shops will be less busy - we can live from the freezer.
i downloaded a free pattern for a bra, from the internet, yesterday. i fancy having a go and the photos of some of the bras made with the pattern look really good (see on her facebook page). when i go into town (to the blood donors) on tuesday i may go and hunt out some of the sort of elastic fabric that goes round the sides and back. i'm thinking of using some of the african print material to make the rest of it. i'm bored with my bras - i fancy a bit of pizzazz!
i do wish we could do a day trip to france. it would either mean a night in france, two on the ferry or two this side of the channel. we've done a day's shopping trip when we've stayed, upcountry, with my brother. i give him my shopping list every so often, for the non perishables.
hope you had a good time (if you got away in time).
have a happy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 18th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Just got back from France. We had a really nice day. There was a market on in Boulogne (OH bought goose eggs and leeks). After lunch, we discovered a massive Leclerc ( :) French supremarket of choice) then drove along the coastal road to Cap Gris-Nez, where we had a little walk. Amazing views. Disappointed there didn't seem to be a sign for the village of Le Sodit just before you get to it, but hey ho... ;) Then a quick dash into City Europe because we had an hour to spare. (We always say we won't, but always seem to.) Then they let us on the train early.

The car (which before setting off this morning, we realized had been 'broken' into - someone had got in it but not forecd entry. Worrying - there has a been spate of these mysterious incidents on our road lately.) is full of snotty tissues, I had many coughing fits, and I am very tired. But content. I can lie in tomorrow, and nap in the afternoon if I want. :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 19th, 2019, 8:23 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment.
we watched eurovision for the first time in decades. my partner wanted australia to win. i had no preference. it was interesting to see that there was still 'mates' voting going on. i was wondering if, with the peoples vote, there was a touch of - 'we don't want you because you don't want us' - going on for the uk by europe. for san marino to come above some far better songs was perplexing. maybe the residents of san marino all crossed the border to vote for him. was the netherlands channeling a little of amy winehouse or is that just my imagination ? we liked graham norton's waspish commentary.
shopping needed, as is coffeee.
have a grand day, everyone.

ps it seems i'm not the only one who thinks the uk place was strange.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 19th, 2019, 11:50 am

How weird about the car Herbi, but glad you enjoyed your trip! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 19th, 2019, 12:11 pm

The theory is that someone has a jamming device that stops your car being locked when you use the remote. Aware of this we had developed a policy of checking that it is locked after locking it though...

It is a problematic development as if thieves are doing this, there is no way you can claim insurance wihout proof of broken entryt. It looks just like you forgot to lock the door. It's happened at least 10 times on my road in the last 9 months. Next door neighbour saw someone trying out car door through his bedroom window. They made eye contact and the guy continued doing what he was doing, then moved on. The police won't do anything about it. Am thining about getting a security light and possibly CCTV

Someone also had a thief trying to bash through their front door one night. We are clearly down as a lucrative target as a street. I now bolt the front door.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 20th, 2019, 6:45 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a prediction of the odd bit of patchy fluff in the middle.
i will be indoors all day doing an emergency first aid course. it's the one course that i pointed out would be useful for me. the other, online ones, were largely irrelevant but i suppose it's easier getting everyone to do all of them than filter them for the individual.
that sounds really irritating/worrying, herbi, the sort of place that a light and cctv would be useful.
i had better start getting my bum in gear.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2019, 7:35 am

Dull but bright here..?! Suppose to be nice - and warm - 20ish - todyay It was forecast to rain for many hours, but that's gone. Pity in a way. I suppose I could have bared my legs after all.

First day back at work after a week off. There will be lots to do, but will try to ease myself into it if I can.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2019, 10:03 am

Nigel Slater's latest was waiting for me at work! :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2019, 10:11 am

Good morning
Slept like a log
Bright with clouds here too, glad I watered my pots yesterday despite the prediction of showers on the BBC, the plants are basking in the warmth and fingers crossed that the seeds are quietly germinating too

Local history group tonight, always fun. Three speakers and wine and lots of my friends go.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 21st, 2019, 8:24 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
off to the city at lunchtime, blood donors and a look in the fabric shop to see if they have power mesh.
i didn't feel like going to yoga this morning. it would have made it a bit of a rush to be back and out again.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 21st, 2019, 9:13 am

Lovely here too. Clerkenwell Design week starts today. I may have a quick look in my lunch hour.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 22nd, 2019, 9:15 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
the farm phoned earlier to see if i could go in today but i told them i was unavailable and needed a couple of day's warning as i have filled the days with other things (true). their wage budget is in dire straights and as i take a group not a one to one i can be replaced by one of the more office based staff. i'm off until another member of staff has gone off to another job he's applied for. someone has called in sick so i was called. i have no intention of letting them think i'm available at the drop of a hat - that's a slippery slope and jerks other people around.
i was supposed to be going to the friend's to carry on with her chaise longue this morning but the fabric still hasn't arrived (i wasn't going to tell the farm that). i may start my bra making experiment instead. the fabric shop had no power mesh but did have some strong lycra so i will do my practice with that (it is also much cheaper).
an emergency at the donors yesterday caused the session to be cancelled, after i had been prepped but before the vein had been punctured. the (one) venipuncture nurse had been called out to the accident and the timescale for the ambulance arrival was unknown so she was then unavailable. the good news, i was told, is that my iron levels are good.
i picked up a (good) copy of the national trust cook book for £2 at a charity shop on the way back to the car.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am

Good morning
Grey but bright and warm here
Need to do some tedious cleaning and paperwork

‘im next door is putting up a sort of hedge of panels of plastic leaves round his roof terrace. Or rather his builder is so I can’t just challenge him. Not only is it hideous and tacky and ruining my view of the real trees it’s at the front of the building and I’m pretty sure he’s not allowed to do it in a conservation area. Need to read some regulations and put my diplomatic hat on

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » May 22nd, 2019, 10:32 am

May I borrow some of your diplomacy?
We have a rough area of garden at the end joining sideways with neighbour, her side was a wonderful 'mess' of bushes meaning a nice secluded place for me and acted as a baffle to her dogs barking (a lot).
Whilst we were away she has cleared every last scrap of greenery, leaving it completely open (and extremely ugly)to us and put dog agility thing there.

Just a see through netting type fence at that end and I really don't want panels as the 3 houses 'end of gardens' together was a lovely bit of green.

Yes, yes, its her garden....I keep telling myself I have no right to be annoyed!!

* think I am going with cocooning my seat in a sort of half circle of bamboo style screens with my back to her !!
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby scullion » May 22nd, 2019, 10:40 am

grow some climbers up/through the fence? start with some sweet peas/clematis for this year then sneak in an evergreen.
scullion
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » May 22nd, 2019, 11:00 am

Its heartbreaking the 'good stuff' she has ripped out, including a superb overhanging elderflower bush. we had a neighbourly agreement when we all purchased the 'bit of wasteland' it would be left as it was.(its a bit odd but our gardens back onto the green barrier around a small factory and they let us buy a 10 metre lenght to stop them getting too close to us) Netting only 1 metre high to keep the open look.

Think its too shady for sweet peas but a friend suggested doing a stepped net fence, sort of 2 metres long at 1 metre high, then 2 at 2 then back to 1. I have plenty of mad ivy I can drape there to grow.

Was planning on a clematis this year for elsewhere, might see if I could run one up the side of my 'cocoon' !
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 22nd, 2019, 11:44 am

StokeySue wrote:‘im next door is putting up a sort of hedge of panels of plastic leaves round his roof terrace.

Oh they're awful aren't they Sue? You see them everywhere at the moment. As you say, out the other side of tacky. :rolleyes:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2019, 12:12 pm

I have spoken to him

We shall see, I might speak to someone from the Hackney [Heritage] Society (I know several) as they will know off the top of their head if it breaches the conservation area rules, I think it does.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 22nd, 2019, 12:26 pm

StokeySue wrote:I have spoken to him

How did it go down Sue?
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2019, 1:49 pm

I got a bit of the "naughty schoolboy caught taking biscuits"

He knew I'd hate it! I laid more emphasis on the conservation area than my personal dislike, as I really don't think it's permitted
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 22nd, 2019, 3:31 pm

What is it with neighbours? One of my next door neighbours is a lovely man who was born in the house and moved back in with his parents after his marriage failed. He is in his 80's now but always keeps things nice and has an array of colourful flowers which he enjoys whilst sitting on a wooden bench he bought some years ago. The house on the other side of him is occupied by a woman and little girl. The woman is a nurse and is always knocking on his door with cakes, puddings etc which I think he rather likes. To everyone else she is a menace leaving rubbish out of a type the dustman won't take and leaving it in the street and that kind of thing. Our gardens are tiny but when she moved on she planted a mass of trees which are now very overgrown. The trees nearest to the man's fence have gradually pushed his fence right over so it is lying across his lovely bench. She clearly can't afford a tree surgeon (they are too big with thickening trunks to deal with without the right equipment). He is clearly upset but doesn't want to say anything. I have offered to help break up the fence (not in great condition) and take it to the tip in the car but I'm psyching myself up to invite her into my garden first so she can see what she,'s done. It's quite heartbreaking. Even if he trees are left as the boundary they have spread beyond the boundary. :evil: :evil: :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 23rd, 2019, 7:10 am

Mornign.

Actually a bit overcast this morning. Dull but bright, if that makes sense? Supposed to hot up later. Day two sans tights :o Poor world having my white, middle-aged legs inflicted on it.

( am supposed to be having an Ocado delivery today ( :bounce: ??), but half thinking about cancelling it. I was precipitated into completing the order by what looked like very cheap compost, then realized it's only 10l bags, so actually rather expensive compost and not enough. I have till 12.30 to decide.
I need compost this weekend, husband is in France and I discovered yesterday that my usual source - local garden centre - is too busy to deliver it before the bank holiday. I spent at least 2 hours yesterday trying to find someone to deliver! None of the chain garden centres or DIY shops will. Almost went with expensive high quality stuff until I realized they were charign a lot if I wanted it before Tuesday... Anyway, dull... but now done. (Wickes.)

Apparently the weather is Basse Normandie is (uncharacteristically) lovely. Lucky husband... :) (Although less lucky having to sort builders out.)

I hope everyone has a great day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 23rd, 2019, 10:44 am

Good morning all :D

We're lucky with our neighbours :D however next door is now empty as quiet elderly chap died ... his daughters say they are preparing to put it on the market ... wonder who we'll get there .......... :)

Two lines of washing on the line ... plants watered ... must scrape the dust off the furniture and floor downstairs and then decide what else I'm going to do with my day ... :idea: I have some homework to finish for the writing group ........... I'd better do that ....

Have a good day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 23rd, 2019, 10:48 am

good morning, all.
brightly overcast.
we'll be walking up to the village to vote soon. after that i may kill a cat. he keeps waking me up at ungodly hours and is then a very inconsiderate bed fellow. why he choses my side of the bed is (not) beyond me. i may have to start being less considerate - if i allow him to live.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am

After far too many years, something dawned on me. The expression "not enough room to swing a cat" - it's got nothing to do with animals, has it? :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 23rd, 2019, 10:58 am

My journey in went very wrong, and I ended up at Victoria.. where I saw the Pullman that is the first leg of the Orient Express journey. That almost made up for it.

Do Not Kill the Cat, Scully.

Basil has somehow trained me to get up at 5.30/6am to let him out :evil:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 11:53 am

Could you shut the door so that the cat can't come in?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 23rd, 2019, 12:10 pm

Meeuw meeuw meeuw meew. Moew meow meow. Meeeeuwweeuw... And repeat.

And actually I can't. My door won't shut properly. I sometimes put a weight against it. He meows piteously, heart-wrenchingly, but even if I manage to hold out and not get up to let him in, in the morning he is somehow always on my bed. Oh I do love him... :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Ha ha I know that one! I really wondered if Scully could close her door. Unless there's a cat flap (and I understand why people don't allow cats out at night) then I don't think there's a solution!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 23rd, 2019, 12:40 pm

We love our cat too but no way is he getting into the bedroom. He has his cat flap and plenty of food and water.

Gruney it a cat of nine tails and is a navy expression from the flogging days.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 23rd, 2019, 1:14 pm

Yes, Rats - I've always known that, but was too thick for years, to attach the correct meaning :lol: So many every day expressions came from old naval days, didn't they - to keep it foodie - a good square meal.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm

My cats rarely sleep with me, but they like to come for cuddles. Basil usually has one when I go to bed, culminating in trying to bite me, then buggers off and sleeps on the stairs (then comes back at 5am in the summer, telling me to let him out, and ideally, feed him.) Our neighbours in France have a cat flap in most of their (indoor as well as outdoor) doors! makes sense I suppose in rural Normandy winters, when the wood fire supplies all the heat. sometimes wish we had one in the sitting room door in the winter.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 23rd, 2019, 4:23 pm

Good aftermorning …. Don't get me started on neighbours … the ones that decided they didn't like my very expensive fence, so covered it by fixing that awful rush matting to it have now decided that they want to replace our shed roof … I say 'our' because it is a shed a bit like those jack and jill bathrooms … One rectangle divided down the middle with my shed door on my side and their shed door on theirs. The roof is currently a corrugated asbestos/cement mix. They claim their side leaks. I rather like it and we now have self seeded succulents growing on it :bounce: :tu: … they had apparently got several quotes and wanted to go with the cheapest … I have insisted that we need to carry out due diligence and make sure whoever we use disposes of the old roof in the correct way. No further conversation took place. On Tuesday morning a knock on the door - a guy who says he is the roofer and that they are starting that day. I refused entry and sent them away. The neighbour didn't have the good grace/manners to continue the dialogue, not even to tell me he had booked the roofer. I like the existing roof; my side doesn't leak, so they can whistle in the wind (and breathe ! :rolleyes: )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 24th, 2019, 12:35 am

thank you for your concern but:
a) the banging of the catflap would carry on all night if we shut them out.
b) he is heavy enough to throw himself against the bedroom door and barge in.
c) the yowling outside the door would be louder than my earplugs could cope with if i wedged the bedroom door shut. (you have been there, too, herbi, obviously).
the only answer is violin strings and a pair of furry gloves! - or an earlier night.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 24th, 2019, 2:43 am

:lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 24th, 2019, 6:31 am

I've been up since 6.30. Thanks Basil. I usually manage to go back to sleep for an hour.

I think this behaviour is reinforced by our getting up to deal with it. (Only partly though, because it doesn't happen in the winter, so he clearly just wants to be up with the larks, er starlings.) I didn't have this problem last summer. I could blame my husband (who was not around this time last year) as he has suffered from insomnia in the early hours since he got back, so has sometimes let Basil out. (Instructed not to let him out before 6 after the live animal present at 5am incident.) But it's to me that Basil comes. Mind you this may be because OH has his door shut (to try and keep the snoring out, but also keeps Basil out.) But Basil also comes to me to beg for nicer food just after he's been fed, and to beg to be let out in the eveining, after the cut off point for cat flap shutting. Husband just gets affection. Kind of stereotypical mother, father, child relationship?

Lily is (generally) as good as gold, but then going a outside and eating are not things she cares for that much.

Anyway. A nice morning to be up early and I am treating myself to a proper coffee, Pollard's Ethoipian blend. (Very nice indeed.)

I am having a man come round to give assess the garden for an 'emergency' session early evening, so leaving at 4. Hurray! Then a long weekend, albeit totally alone. I have an overwhelming amount to do on the house and garden (apparently the housework and gardening fairies did not visit, as husband was hoping, while I was ill), so I think a tick list is needed to try and reduce overwhelmingness. I should get some writing done too.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 24th, 2019, 8:27 am

Good morning
Rather nice here
Warm and sunny at the moment
I too will be quietly catching up with stuff today, have been out a lot in the last 7 days. Need a quiet one, and to get organised
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 24th, 2019, 8:42 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
the cat lives!
fortunately (for him) he didn't wake me up this morning.
coffee is being hugged and then i'm off to the next village down the coast to get on with the chaise longue. the fabric arrived yesterday.
i'm half way through making a trial bra with stuff i have and underwires from an old one. i'll continue with it when i get back. it's an interesting make. i couldn't be bothered to email the pattern to my partner to print (my MacBook says the printer is too old to acknowledge) as the test square was the right size on my screen - so i traced it, carefully, from there.
better shift or i'll be late.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 24th, 2019, 9:01 am

Good morning all :D

I remember our physics mistress knitting a bra as a mathematical exercise ... :rolleyes:

She also crochet a wedding dress for the ever so slightly pregnant hockey captain.

Off to writing group ... have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 24th, 2019, 9:03 am

I once made a bikini

I dived into the sea off a rock wearing it.

I hit the water here and the bra hit the water about two metres away. I put it back on under water (I was sixteen and a strong swimmer)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 24th, 2019, 11:20 am

Thank god for M&S.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 25th, 2019, 7:55 am

Good morning. Quite dull and overcast here.
Woke up 5 times in the night coughing, was asked to be let out by Basil 4 times, some of whic coincided with the cessation of the coughing/my being awake. I gave in to him at 7. He then came back at half eight to ask for breakfast. He's been quite good really.
I have a delivery of compost coming to day some time between 10 and 6... I don't think I can go out. It needs signing for. My eBay purchasers/'winners' from yesterday almost certainly won't get their stuff sent until Tuesday.
I should do some hardcore housework. Question is do I tackle a room, for maximal satisfaction, but maximal effort, or do I just improve a couple of rooms? Really, the only places in the house that don't need serious, at least a day each, attention are the hall, landing and downstairs loo, and that's because they've just been decorated. Perhaps I should invite mother in law to stay (and I really should anyway) as an incentive to get it all done.
I hope everyone has a great day.
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 25th, 2019, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 25th, 2019, 8:31 am

Good morning
I woke up very early - think I got an off shoot of the dawn chorus, some times the parakeets congregate on the external aerials

It’s brightening slowly. We had a fair bit of rain in overnight showers but it will apparently dry out as the day goes on
Off to my friend’s later

Probably should get on..

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 25th, 2019, 8:43 am

Good morning … a lovely one here :bounce: :tu: . I got woken up at 6.30 by Prada, the paying guest … So a quick trip down the stairs and out into the garden for her toilet. Prada has Addison's disease and the steroids she has to take give her an enormous thirst, so lots of water in and lots out. After breakfast at 8, she was then begging for a walk ….. We are home now and look who won the fight for my armchair :rolleyes: :
Attachments
prada.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 25th, 2019, 9:20 am

:D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 25th, 2019, 9:43 am

She looks very much at home Pat :luv:
Sue
StokeySue