good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » May 25th, 2019, 10:02 am

Good morning all :D

Back from Wrose with a bargain ... I’ve taken to drinking instant coffee most of the time at home cos it’s better for my BP
and I’ve found a brand I like ... the large tins were half price!!! I’ve bought SIX! :lol: 8-)

Now to do a bit of baking then I’ll have a lazy day today as DD is visiting tomorrow to help me in the garden. I’m not allowed to clamber on the Shady Bank on my own any more. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your Saturday everyone :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 25th, 2019, 10:19 am

It doesn't take much to tire her out, but she was begging to go for a walk … I need to pop out to do some shopping soon, (and drop Daughter at our local Nature Reserve), so hoping she won't notice I'm gone ;)

edited to add: Sorry, didn't notice Suff's post had snuck in ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » May 25th, 2019, 10:22 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
i was trying to work out if that was a large dog or a terrier in one of those pet sized armchairs!
nothing planned for today although i suppose i should do some of the dreaded hswk, too. i would need to do more than a day on each room. i'm a disciple of the quentin crisp method of hswk.
the chaise longue (or méridienne as it's known in france) looks really good. i have left my friend to cover the arm rest and put the trim on (and make a roll cushion with the piece of fabric left that's just the right size). three metres of the cloth was just right, as was the repurposing of a spare/old quilt. far comfier over the old springs.
now back to the bra making, although i either need some thinner elastic or wider sliders - or to work out what else i can use for the latter. i could go and buy them but i don't have the car today. he did bring me coffee before heading out, earlier, though so not complaining.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 25th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Grrr just discovered to day is the (hopefully not 'a') day somene is having their wedding reception in the field at the bottom of the garden. This would be okish, but they have put the marquee right at the bottom of the garden. I don't understand this. The field is HUGE. Why put it right next to the houses?

So.... loud music till midnight I guess :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 25th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Bummer! :(. Maybe it's convenient for utilities or access.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 25th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Dunno. I was looking forward to a nap... still feeling unwell.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 25th, 2019, 3:05 pm

hmmm ... i may be making the wrong size! check this. (scroll to the top and go to the measurement and size charts).
i'll finish this one and see.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » May 26th, 2019, 10:02 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
coffee is on it's way but i will need to walk up to the village if i want milk in another.
a walk on the beach, at four, is the only thing (other than the milk walk) planned so far today. although we need a few bits i'm not going shopping today. the girl at the checkout, last week, informed me that sunday was the busiest day of the week. what with it being a holiday weekend and less than beach weather the visitors as well as the locals may descend on the shops. due to other commitments (and the holiday) we may have to be eating from the freezer by the time i can go on thursday.
the sewing may have to be suspended until then, too, when i can get some appropriate elastic.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 26th, 2019, 1:02 pm

It's dull here too, but was quite sunny earlier while I was working in the garden. Windy though. I've done about two hours. Wondering whether to do more. I want to move a large wooden planter of strawberries (amongst othr things), which mean emptying it. Is this madness?! I want to put the cocktail kiwi in it's place... and it really does need planting out.
Was just about to put some washing out when someone started a bonfire... :evil:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 26th, 2019, 2:28 pm

At least you hadn't put the washing out! Rain has stopped play here, I was out in it planting the bits I bought at the garden centre but it was a bit too much to stay out in once that was done.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 26th, 2019, 7:12 pm

I did think that, EM, in the interests of trying no to turn into an anti-neighbours grouchpot this weekend :) We also had a light rainshower later anyway.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 27th, 2019, 7:53 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
we are predicted a little rain later this morning. hopefully it'll hold off while the st agnes fair is on but i will take my big handbag (shoulder bag) just in case - it holds a brolly in its cavernous depths.
i'm hoping to pick up a couple more argyranthemums. the one i bought at the fair last year seems to love it in the 'barren wasteland'. it's now a mound of flowers two or three feet in diameter; you can hardly see the foliage between the blooms - it's even flowered through the winter. i don't like the big, blowsy type of chrysanthemums but the marguerite and michaelmas daisy types are far more my cup of tea (if i drank it). i'll take some cuttings if i can find some non flowering bits.
i think the lodgers may have fledged yesterday. peace reigns - well, relatively - there's a cat snoring, rather loudly, next to me.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 27th, 2019, 8:31 am

Sounds like a good day ahead Scully ... hope the weather holds. It’s dry here atm but we have showers forecast and it’s quite blustery ... unless it warms up I think it may be mainly an indoor day with occasional wandering a around the garden to admire the results of DD’s help yesterday :D
Enjoy your day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 27th, 2019, 9:05 am

Cool, breezy/windy and bright here. About to go out into the garden. In some pain from yesterday, and I am embarassed to say that my back and shoulders are a little burnt. I could do with some help... OH is staying in France now until Thursday, but he wouldn't have got back until late today, anyway.
Need to package up my EBay sellings today to post tomorrow. Hosework... I think I need to think of something pleasurable to do too!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 27th, 2019, 9:41 am

Good morning
We have sun
I spent most of the day yesterday just a few miles away in Wandsworth, where we had a little light drizzle, got back to find we had received a real downpour here, no need to water most of my plants today or tomowwow

Doing my homework, I’m going to a members view of the Munch exhibition at the British Museum tonight so I have downloaded the large print guide.

Have a good day everyone.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 28th, 2019, 6:58 am

Good morning, we have heavy rain.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » May 28th, 2019, 7:17 am

good morning, all.
overcast. we still haven't had any rain - other than a couple of spots, yesterday, that probably just evaporated as they touched the ground.
i have another training day, today, so i'd better get my bum in gear.
have a grand day, everyone.

it's just started raining.
Last edited by scullion on May 28th, 2019, 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 28th, 2019, 7:18 am

Cool and dull here. Back to work... :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 28th, 2019, 7:29 am

Good morning
Cool and dull here too
Going to play backgammon in West Hampstead, need to catch the 10,19 from Dalston so better keep on moving

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 29th, 2019, 8:10 am

Morning. dull cool and breezy here.
One of the cats caught another bird. Not enough left to identify it, but a small one. I do hope not one of the robins that are nesting in the wiseria, as they clearly have babies. The garden is small-bird free again this morning...

Supposed to be going to a gig tonight, but not sure I want to be out and about trying to get home close to midnight on my own, so I may not go... OH comes home tomorrow. He is going to a Michelin star restaurant tonight with neighbours that has a vegetarian menu! Why have we not found this before?!

I just forgot to set off for work :o ?! So will be half an hour late now, as the next train isn't until half past. Oh dear. I was late yesterday too due to delayed trains.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 29th, 2019, 8:57 am

good morning, all.
overcast and a bit damp.
off to the beach café for a coffee and catch up with old friends, who're down, at eleven.
i suppose i'd better do some hswk this afternoon. it's getting to the point where i can avoid it no longer, worst luck.

is there something in your subconscious telling you you'd rather stay at home, herbi‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 29th, 2019, 10:33 am

scullion wrote:
is there something in your subconscious telling you you'd rather stay at home, herbi‽‽‽

I don't think it's buried that deeply.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 30th, 2019, 7:40 am

Quite bright here and warmish right now. Forecast for cloud for most of the day. 26 degrees on Saturday...

I am supposed to be having lunch out today. Not sure where we are going. Friend was leaning towards Cafe Kick on Exmouth Market.

Mother rushed into hospital yesterday, but sent home with antibiotics, so I ho she will be ok. She told me she thought she was dying yesterday morning...

I hope everyone has a good day.
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 30th, 2019, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 30th, 2019, 9:17 am

good morning, all.
sunny. the met office says we are under thick cloud.
there wasn't enough time left in the afternoon to contemplate hswk, yesterday, thank goodness but i may have to do some today (boo hoo).
i also need to do some shopping - we seem to have survived the week (so far) without my having done any but i think the lack of fruit is beginning to impact on my partner - he normally eats quite a lot. i don't mean physical impact!
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » May 31st, 2019, 8:08 am

good morning, all.
the sun is predicted to shine all day - in a little while. i will be indoors for most of the day - a sewing day with the 'girls'.
i have to think of something to take for lunch when the cupboard's virtually bare. i would normally take humous but that was what i took on monday so not really an option - or is it‽ whatever i do i should be getting my act in gear; i have to leave by ten and i haven't even been in the shower yet - slacker!
i hope your mother is feeling better, herbi.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 31st, 2019, 9:19 am

suffolk wrote:Good morning all :D

Back from Wrose with a bargain ... I’ve taken to drinking instant coffee most of the time at home cos it’s better for my BP
and I’ve found a brand I like ... the large tins were half price!!! I’ve bought SIX! :lol: 8-)

Suffs is it Kenco Millicano ? I've been drinking this for about 18 months and everyone I serve it to says how nice it is.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 31st, 2019, 9:19 am

Morning.
Overcast but quite warm here.
So glad it's Friday. It's been a tough week energy levels wise.
OH got back at about 11 last night - delays in the tunnel. Basil was doing the things (to me) that he usually does when I have been away! i.e. pestering me at bed time and waking me up in the night with loud meowing. I tired to resist getting up at 6 to let him out and feed him, but he was so persistent, loud and scratchy, I had to give in.
My mother sounded a lot better last night, thanks, Scully.
. It would help if she would eat properly, but she has had diarrhea on and off for the last fortnight. She has cut out eggs and yoghurt, and the raw protein bars - her main sources of nourishment because she has been told to eat none of these (but a combination of doctor - fair enough- careers - iffy source of info) but is eating toast with jam and biscuits, plus tomato at lunch time... I think she was just on toast for about a week though. I suspect lack of enough food might explain why she feels so weak as much as the infection.

Anyway I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 31st, 2019, 9:21 am

I think Azera is even better than Millicano... ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 31st, 2019, 9:22 am

Good morning
Warm and cloudy here, as expected

Having a very quiet few days, as I have been out and about far too much

Visited 2 National Trust gardens yesterday in Sussex, Sheffield Park and Standon. Wanted to move into Standon, it’s an Arts and Crafts property with the most glorious veg garden, also lovely landscaped gardens to walk in and views over the countryside.

Got some plants so can plant those out, need to get some more compost.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 31st, 2019, 9:41 am

Herbidacious wrote:I think Azera is even better than Millicano... ;)

I've not tried Azera - I will have to investigate :)
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 31st, 2019, 9:46 am

Meganthemog wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:I think Azera is even better than Millicano... ;)

I've not tried Azera - I will have to investigate :)

We have moved from Millicano to Azera, also on half price offer at the moment.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 31st, 2019, 9:47 am

The trouble with Azera is that you need big spoonfuls and it goes down fast! Nescafe Gold Espresso is similar.

DD's career has involved both places you visited yesterday Sue, I know both quite well as a result and all the behind the scenes tales. Good to hear your impressions were favourable.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 31st, 2019, 10:58 am

Ah I don't drink that much of it, as I am in the office for most of my cups of coffee, and drink filter coffee at the weekends, so not noticed it going down quickly. I don't Think I add any more than I would any other instant though, althugh it's a long time since I had a different kind. I usually get the 'espresso' one.

I fancy a coffee now...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2019, 11:46 am

Good after morning :D

Yes the Kenco Milli ... for some reason I’m not so keen on the Azera.

Just been watching a family of Gt tits sharing the birdbath with a family of House sparrows :luv:

Have a lovely day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 31st, 2019, 12:11 pm

I really don’t like either of them - I have tried both and can’t stand the powdered coffee beans lurking in suspension, if I brew coffee from grounds I’m careful, like most people to filter them out. I don’t want a mouthful of grounds any more than I do of eggshells or apple pips

If I make instant coffee it’s Douwe Egbert’s, currently the Pure Indulgence but I’m sure they used to do an even even darker one. Plus the jars are great.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 31st, 2019, 12:29 pm

I've not noticed coffee bean grounds. Is that in Millicano? I buy that one in France as they don't do Azera.

I used to drink Douwe Egbert’s, before Millicano... before Azera.

I'd stick to filter (I buy coffee from shop in Sheffield) but that would mean only two cups max a day (and ought to be just one.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 31st, 2019, 12:51 pm

I am another who only drinks 2 (very small) cups of coffee per day. Never ever instant I can't bear the stuff. If my b-i-l comes to stay he brings his own because that's all he will drink. At the moment we drink L'Or restreto because the capsules are aluminium and therefore recyclable.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 31st, 2019, 2:02 pm

As implied, I opt for quantity over quality for my caffeine boost. I cannot stand tea, so that's not an option. First coffee of the day in the office is a filter coffee and very much enjoyed. After that I have to fall back on instant. I don't drink much when not in the office though, so one 'real' coffee a day will do.

I cannot bear instant with milk in it though. I would rather go without.

When those capsule machines came out, over-packaging aside, I didn't like the idea of not being able to choose my own coffee, and also having to buy it off big manufacturers, rather than small independents... . I also know that I can 'recycle' coffee filter papers (in the compost bin). I don't entirely trust English local authority recycling options.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 31st, 2019, 2:42 pm

Must admit that like Rats I've yet to find an instant coffee I can stomach...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 31st, 2019, 3:13 pm

My first coffee of the day is 'proper' grind the beans - organic single bean from PNG - it is brought to me by a friend who works out there and he buys direct from the grower and distributes it to friends. After that during the day it is Millicano - I have tried others and have found them all unpalatable. I haven't found the grounds in suspension described by SS. I too don't like the pods - too commercialised and I don't like all the packaging even if it is recyclable. I drink my coffee black without sugar and like the convenience of Millicano for the odd cup during the day. I too don't drink tea - in fact I am allergic to it.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » June 1st, 2019, 9:02 am

good morning, all.
sunny but sunnier later according to the met.
all this talk about coffee - where's mine‽‽
i don't do instant either. i decided, quite a few years back, that there were a few things that i was old enough not to compromise on and to wear. top of the list was coffee (not in the wearing category unless, i suppose, if i've had too much of the second on the list - wine).
yay - coffee is on it's way!
one of the jobs for today is turning two bags of frozen strawberries (from lidl) into strawberry jam. they are sitting on the stove, with the sugar and lemon juice, in a big pot on the stove. they are about 2.50 for a kilo. i didn't think that was too bad and although we have plenty of plum jam (and don't eat a great deal of jam anyway) i fancy a cream tea with strawberry jam. i forgot to buy the clotted cream and scones. ho-hum.
another job is watering - the only rain we've had lately (a month or more) has probably evaporated on the roof before getting into the butts and wouldn't have penetrated more than a millimetre or two into the ground.
coffee is in my other hand.
have a grand day everyone.

ps. i've just remembered the other job for today, first of the month - flea treat the cats.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 1st, 2019, 10:48 am

Morning (just.) Sunny and warm here - supposed to go up to 26 degrees. We are dithering. It's an all day street party on our street. We don't want to go (no one likes us... ;) ) Feel we should go for a while. (Won't make them like us more, but might stop them liking us less.) We can't take the car and go out anywhere, as the street is closed... and really I want to get on with some gardening, but not before we go.
Anyway, hoping to get some hard core gardening done, if it's not too hot. Or some dilettantish Margot Leadbetter gardening if it's hot, followed by a book and a sun lounger.
I hope everyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 1st, 2019, 11:52 am

Good day
Need to do a bit of gardening myself, pot up the National Trust stuff but need to get some more compost first

Then go to the supermarket too

I’ve had 2 mugs of coffee, proper coffee made from beans from the zero waste shop freshly ground and made up as Americanos. The instant is kept as a back up when needed, I don’t use it routinely.

Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 2nd, 2019, 8:28 am

good morning, all.
overcast but with a 90% promise of rain, from now until two, followed by clear sun for the rest of the day. i hope it's enough to fill a water butt - or both - but it just sounds breezy at the moment not rainy.
i have flea treated the cats seeings they both came in after the jackdaw incident (they disappeared yesterday therefore avoiding it - maybe they knew it was the first of the month).
off to a meeting this afternoon.
my partner made me a coffee, yesterday morning, using hazelnut milk. i'm not a fan of non dairy milk in coffee - i've tried the lot - soya's the worst in my opinion - but the hazelnut is very acceptable. it changes the flavour quite a bit but only as much as adding those coffee syrups do anyway. i may get a few cartons more as emergency milk while they're on offer in tescos (£1 a carton instead of £1.70).
i don't keep instant coffee, even as a back-up. i do have a very large stockpile of (cheap decaf) lavazza just in case we had crashed out of the eu and the price soared. it'll keep me going until the next extension.
i, too, need more compost - a couple of tons may do it for a while.
the coffilepathy hasn't worked yet.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 2nd, 2019, 8:56 am

Good morning
Got the compost, he nearly sold out yesterday, so many people round here have containers and this is the week to pot them up.
Slightly worried that my black chilli plant may be a trailing one intended for a hanging basket, will read the label properly later, so may need to make it a stand
Should put the laundry on I suppose

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 2nd, 2019, 10:03 am

I’m late downstairs as I’ve changed the duvet for the thinnest one and I’ve been scrubbed and buffed a bit more than usual 8-)
Now I’m just catching up with the Archers then heading for the garden ...
Have a lovely day everyone
:D
Last edited by suffolk on June 2nd, 2019, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 3rd, 2019, 6:38 am

good morning, all.
bright with the chance of a bit of rain just when it wouldn't be convenient.
we are having a load of tiles delivered and the rain is forecast for around their arrival time. according to the supplier that is between eight and five. i doubt that they would have left at two in the morning so the earlier time is probably out. they may have left at six
i also have a dental appt. a bit after that, too, so my partner will be left to move them by himself for a while - it's a shame our son will be at work!

ps. wrong! they are coming from a depot in plymouth and will be here in under an hour.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 3rd, 2019, 7:46 am

Bed linen in the machine, bathroom’s had a bit of a wipe over and buff up. I’ll give downstairs a flick over and plump the cushions up and that’ll do for the day ;)
I want to pop up to the GC and investigate seep hoses ... Ive got one installed on the Shady Bank and could do with one for the front garden rather than carrying cans of water now that my joints are playing up.
Hope the dentist is kind to you Scully ... my turn tomorrow.
Have a good day folks :D
Last edited by suffolk on June 3rd, 2019, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 3rd, 2019, 7:51 am

Morning all. OH has gone to have a haircut, the washing is in the machine churning away, the beasts are sat in the sunshine and I have just put the hoover away and done the polishing. :D Time for a :mug: me thinks :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 3rd, 2019, 9:05 am

Good morning
Washing completed yesterday, just the folding and ironing to do. And the sock pairing :scared:

Want to go and rejoin the swimming today or tomorrow, just need to check the pool timetable to miss school swimming - wasn’t going last week during half term

I think there’s a dead mouse somewhere around, I hope the big black cat drops in and tells me where

Cooler than yesterday but quite pleasant

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop