good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » June 3rd, 2019, 9:52 am

Ah, that was meant to go on Chatterbox

Completed my summer planting yesterday with the plants from the NT. The chilli turned out to be recommended for patio containers not just hanging baskets, and an upright not a trailing variety, phew. It seems to be a rule of life that any work done on a roof terrace requires more time spent sweeping up than planting, however careful you are
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 3rd, 2019, 1:14 pm

I fear a cat may not be interested in a dead mouse...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 4th, 2019, 5:52 am

Drizzley and cool here today, quite overcast in fact....

Herb. Wuzzle had a young birdy and 2 mice yesterday..... It's that time of year...... I guess it will be slow worm time soon....

Rain is due around 2pm, my butts are mostly empty so not too bothered about rain for today.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 4th, 2019, 7:20 am

I know, Zosh. I suppose I have been lucky not to have had much caught birdwise, over the years. They aren't bringing in mice. This is probably mainly because they are shut in from about 9.30pm. This is causing a lot of protests from Basil at the moment. It hasn't in the past. He has got the hunting bug. He meows plaintively at the sitting room doors... but stops when I go to bed. i.e. he doesn't do it when just husband is around.
It didn't stop him catching two rats, though, last year :o
Dull here. Lots of rain for central London, too, later. Less for the outer Styx. Rain will be good, apart from it bringing out the snails.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 4th, 2019, 8:03 am

good morning, all.
hooray - it's been raining quite heavily since at least half four - that was when lazy boy decided to let me know he had just got in - cooking fat.
the water butts should be filling nicely and i can take the watering can out of the bathroom (catching the gallon of cold before the hot water comes through)
off to yoga in a little while and for my return blood donor trip this afternoon. i hope they kept my form because i haven't been sent another one.
have a damp day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 4th, 2019, 8:28 am

Ollie B is very good at mice and brought in one this morning (around 4.00am :td: ). He's thankfully less good at birdies.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 4th, 2019, 11:42 am

Yep the 4am mouse is one reason why I lock them in at night. Especially as they tend to be brought into my bedroom.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Oat » June 4th, 2019, 1:14 pm

We came home yesterday after 2 weeks away just as our neighbours were loading up their removal van. Little bit sad to see them go but really upset to see their cat go. He's been a regular visitor in my house and I will miss him, i had the nice side of car ownership without the dead things and vet bills. His owner is bringing him back for a visit to see me in July :D
Oat
Registered

Postby scullion » June 5th, 2019, 9:23 am

good morning, all.
overcastly sunny with the promise of full sun pretty soon.
with that and a very low tide we are off for a walk on the beach in a couple of hours.
my yoga was abandoned yesterday as a more important thing occurred, the blood donors happened this time and i got the compost but not the sphagnum moss. i think i may need to find a source and grow my own!
i meant to buy scones and cream to go with the strawberry jam i made the other day but with my preoccupation on other matters i forgot. i'll try again today.
now... coffee...
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 5th, 2019, 9:59 am

Good morning
Brightly overcast here and reasonably warm
I saw some of the Trumpery yesterday and it was really wet in Westminster but here, 4 miles away as the crow flies, we had one piddling little shower
No plans fo today, recovering from being ill yesterday.
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 5th, 2019, 11:26 am

i have cold knees, sitting in the office with the window open, and wish I had worn tights! Perhaps it's warmer outside.

I hope you are feeling much better, Sue.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 5th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Good afternoon

Hope you're feeling better soon Sue :hug:

Waiting for the upholsterer to arrive to look at a couple of jobs ... otherwise it's been a quiet morning as tennis was cancelled at late notice.

OH is shopping ... I'm writing/knitting and watching the D Day commemorations.

Have a good day all
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 6th, 2019, 8:24 am

good morning, all.
overcast with mixed weather to come - but we'll still go for a walk on the beach this afternoon.
i think i hear coffee being made - yay!
didn't get to the beach yesterday - my partner had some stuff he wanted to get finished so i have done a 'radical' on one of the raised beds.
when we looked in one of the worm bins it looked fine to use so it was wheeled and tipped for me to start loading into the bed. a third of the way down it was really pongy, compacted, wet and anaerobic. so what i'd shovelled out plus a good depth of the soil from the bed was shovelled into the wheelbarrow and buckets, i called my partner to shovel the rest of the yeuky stuff into the bed while i broke it up with a fork (he'd been sitting too long - needed the exercise - i'd had enough of the smell). then i spread the good stuff (mixed with the soil) back on top. i've planted five tomatoes and a couple of courgettes into the bed so i'll see how it does. there were plenty of worms left in the bin to carry on with their job now that the 'compost' is broken up and aerated so by the time the plant roots have got that far it should be all good and properly composted - let's see. there are lots of vids about trench composting on youtube and as this was already most of the way done i thought it was worth a go.
coffee mostly gone.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 6th, 2019, 9:07 am

Sounds like a good day's work, Scully.

It's bright and sunny here. I could do with a day in the garden, although not sure I have the energy. Rain forecast most of the day tomorrow (not that I will be able to do the garden then either!)

I went to Ikea last night to buy a couple of lidded plastic under bed storage drawers with which I intend to attempt a homemade Quadgrow affair for courgettes. It could be a Quingrow. They hold a hell of a lot of water. Just need to work out how to make holes in the lid.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

hot poker?
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 6th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hmm. Will think about that. I was wondering if I could heat a biscuit cutter, but had decided that that probably wouldn't work. I suppose I could heat one in the flame of my cooker. I don't think my poker is that big though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 6th, 2019, 10:41 am

Good morning

The sun is fading here and we have just had a shower

Hot poker, soldering iron, or wood drill bit to make holes in a plastic lid I think?

Ought to get on with something I suppose

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 6th, 2019, 11:39 am

Herbidacious wrote:Hmm. Will think about that. I was wondering if I could heat a biscuit cutter, but had decided that that probably wouldn't work. I suppose I could heat one in the flame of my cooker. I don't think my poker is that big though.

Having googled the thing you are hoping to make, I presume the holes need to be big enough to take a flower-pot ? If so, could you start off a small hole with a drill, then use a hacksaw to cut a hole the size you want ? You actually haven't said what size holes you need, unless I have missed something .. :? ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 6th, 2019, 12:56 pm

No, not that big, Pat. Just 3cmish in diameter.

The idea is that you thread one end of a fairly wide strip of capillary matting through the bottom of a plant pot, and the other end through a hole in the lid of the reservoir - one end of the strip will be in the compost, and the other in water.

These are the components of the Quadgrow

Quadgrow-Whats-in-the-box-1-of-1.jpg

I will be trying to recreate the same using this:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/sma ... -20222665/

There is such a thing as a hole making kit which I assume one attached to a drill. There is also the issue of it being plastic and thus prone to cracking...

it doesn't have to be a neat hole so it may just be a question of drilling four small holes and joining with a Stanley knife or somesuch.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2019, 7:54 am

Ah ... :tu: When I googled, it looked like the pots were sitting IN the reservoir …. I had a much smaller version of this in a propagator .. meant only keep seedlings from drying out. I think the matting got thrown away :( :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2019, 8:58 am

good morning, all.
rain - all day - 90% to ≥95%.
there is no way we are going for a walk on the beach - or anywhere come to that - it's the sort of a day to do the tax return then watch something sunny on the box - or an old black and white film. i may do some sewing.
i was going to cut some bamboo for the beans and peas today but i think that will wait as well. i may go stir crazy!
at least the water butts may get filled up.
have a good (albeit soggy) day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2019, 9:21 am

Good morning
Yes, it’s an ironing and paperwork day here too, we’ve only had a little rain so far, but more to come and it’s pretty windy

My neighbour was slightly surprised to see me watering my seedlings last night, but it was the sort of dry wind that could have turned them to hay before the rain came if I hadn’t damped them down

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 7th, 2019, 5:25 pm

I now it's evening but... thank goodness it's Friday! Two days fo freedom.

I am a bit cross with myself. I am making Sabrina Ghayour's garlic, fenugreek & cumin flatbreads. All the ingredients were in the bowl, and I just had to add lukewarm water, which I had measured out. But instead I added the contents of a jug that had water in it that I had been using to water plants. Doh.

It was just water and in a kitchen jug, not a watering can (yet still having slight psychological issues with this. The jug has not been properly washed for a while) so ok but but obviously the water is not lukewarm. I am going to forge ahead. (Qualms disregarded.) Maybe leave it to rest for little longer? They are supposed to be flatbreads after all, so it won't matter too much? Making a cheat's paneer and pea tikka masala (from a Spice Tailors' kit) to go with them. (Yes it is rather this way round.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 8th, 2019, 12:48 am

hahahahaha!
sorry, but that is funny - in the same way that i sometimes put the strainer and boiling water into my partners mug, wait for the five minutes then discover just a mug of hot water - with no tea leaves in the strainer.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 8th, 2019, 5:13 am

I do something similar when prepping veg, chuck the prepped veg into the peelings tray !!!! Doh !

Grey and raining here..... Apparently I have the tiler coming back @ 9am to finish off the Porche roof, time will tell....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 8th, 2019, 8:30 am

Good morning
I’ve done many similar things, despite being the most systematic person I know

The thing I do recurrently is that if there are two things on the table, one to throw away and one to put away, I pick up one in each hand and deal with them the wrong way round.

The weather is now predicted to be less wet than they were saying yesterday, but I still need to dress carefully to run from venue to venue at LitFest

When I went to bed, the Big Black Cat was at his ease on the door mat. Not sure when he came in, probably when I came home a couple of hours earlier. I went to bed and heard him go out as soon as the rain stopped, the flap is set for out but not in

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 8th, 2019, 8:54 am

I think I am a bit all over the place at the moment :)

There were some gritty bits in the bread. I am telling myself they were from the herbs... :? Breads not altogether successful. They tasted a bit bitter, as did the curry. As did a ready meal the other night. Coming to the colcusino that it's me!!!

Really quite windy here. I am still not dressed. (Insomnia last night.) I need to put some tomatoes into their final pots. I really ought to clean the pots first with jayes fluid? Can I be bothered? er...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 8th, 2019, 9:05 am

Fenugreek can have a bitter undertone, so if you are specially sensitive to that at the moment you’d perhaps really notice it?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 8th, 2019, 9:08 am

good morning, all.
less rain predicted today than yesterday - not difficult.
Herbidacious wrote:I really ought to clean the pots first with jayes fluid? Can I be bothered? er...

i'm pretty sure that charles dowding only gives his pots a quick rub over without washing. i can see the point - as long as there are no slugs lurking in them - as the diversity in fungus and bacteria left in the pot can usually be beneficial. i haven't washed a pot in years (but then i'm not known for my good housekeeping).
there is a vague plan to meet our son for brunch (was going to be breakfast but that seems to have gone, now) it may push further towards lunch - or later.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2019, 9:22 am

Good morning all :D
No one on the GW forum seems to wash their pots (I certainly don't) and most of us hate Jeyes Fluid, noxious stuff and lethal to cats ... we've only ever used it for a really bad drain problem.
Rain overnight and drizzle now ... I knew buying a soaker hose for the front garden would do the trick :rolleyes: :lol:
Herbi ... I remember years ago straining some really good stock, the bones and veg into the sieve and the stock ............. yes, you have it .......... straight into the sink :shock: :x :cry:
Have a lovely day folks
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 8th, 2019, 11:10 am

i know my dad kept a can of jeye's fluid in the shed but i've never bought/used any.
lunch at the beach cafe is on, the sun is out and it's warmer outside then in.
i've emptied outside plant sitters of excess water, had a fondle of buried potatoes (my int. kidneys are about walnut size - a few more weeks i think) and noticed that not only have both the butts filled but that they've overflowed. i don't think i'll need to water for a few days.
scullion
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » June 8th, 2019, 11:21 am

suffolk wrote: I knew buying a soaker hose for the front garden would do the trick

I was wondering who to blame :lol: :lol:

I have only washed my pots after a bad attack of tomato blight 3 years ago, I bought some stuff from the garden centre that wasnt harmful to pets, seemed to do the trick.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 8th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Ok. Won't wash then! (that didn't take much persuasion! :)) I am still mindful of the Great Blight Disaster of 2017, but that was 2017.

It's too horrid to (want to) do anything outside today anyway.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I’ve just had a lovely lunch ... I made a batch of Tamasin Day-Lewis’s mushroom soup. Soooo good :chops:
Lots left for tomorrow and probably Monday too.

The weather has decreed it’s an afternoon for sitting on the sofa with the tv control and my knitting. :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 8th, 2019, 2:51 pm

sunny here, lunch at the beach café was good.
i've given my partner a shopping list for when he's on the way home - vodka and unwaxed lemons - there are elderflowers up the lane and i fancy making some of that very expensive liqueur with an elderflower flavour.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 8th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I wash some of my terracotta pots simply because they look better
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2019, 6:24 pm

StokeySue wrote:I wash some of my terracotta pots simply because they look better

Now that is a perfectly acceptable reason to wash a pot :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 9th, 2019, 4:51 am

I didn't realise Jeyes was lethal to cats!!!!! When we had a fox problem, we were advised to soak fabric in J. & water and drape along the laurel hedges we own to deter them. Let's face it, it smells to high heaven so the cats stayed away from them too......

Anyway, beautiful morning here, the sun, at this time of year, at this time of day shines through the bedroom door. Although I push the door to at night, I can't shut it completely or the fluffs rip up the carpet. So when they push the door open to come in, the sun shines on my face and wakes me up, hence me being one here at this time of day, in spite of hitting my pit at 1pm this morning.... ! :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 9th, 2019, 8:24 am

Good morning

All phenolic disinfectants/antiseptics are toxic to cats, to varying extents. Apart from Jeyes, which is the worst, not least because you slosh it around. There is a warning on the can, but it’s hidden in the instructions for disinfecting kennels unless they’ve changed it.
Phenolic are the stinky ones - Jeyes, Carbolic, Lysol, TCP etc. Dettol too (the brown liquid). Savlon or other cream or wipes containing the active ingredient cetrimide is safest on wounds.

We have some sun now, in fact it was quite nice yesterday evening. Hope it lasts, will be sitting for an hour in the Mortuary Chapel listening to Lee Jackson talk about Victorian London

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 9th, 2019, 9:36 am

Zosh ... for some strange reason cats actively like drinking diluted Jeyes Fluid ... this has been used by some :twisted: who have put out saucers of dilute JF which is white and looks like milk, to poison cats ... not only is it lethal but it is a slow and agonising death. :cry:
Last edited by suffolk on June 9th, 2019, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 9th, 2019, 10:21 am

OMG I didn't know that about Jeyes fluid. Mind you a lot of household cleaners would be? I will not use it again just in case.

I rinsed my tomato pots and tanks with just water. All in place but two. One just not decided wehre it's going and the other must have gone AWOL. Very odd. These are really quite big things. I have been working in the garden for two hours. OH is supposed to be helping me but... he has been doing things angrily, but not exactly helping. And I just heard a yell. He says he has 'done his back in'. Sigh. (I know. I am not very sympathetic. I have given him painkillers and a heated pad, though.)

Right back to it shortly. I have washing to put out too. It will nto be fund scooping up debris with a shovel without a bit of help. Ah well.

I hope eveyone is having a good day.

p.s. Sue did you go to the ST Literary festival? A friend/ex-colleague was doing a signing of her new children's book yesterday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 9th, 2019, 10:21 am

OMG I didn't know that about Jeyes fluid. Mind you a lot of household cleaners would be? I will not use it again just in case.

I rinsed my tomato pots and tanks with just water. All in place but two. One just not decided wehre it's going and the other must have gone AWOL. Very odd. These are really quite big things. I have been working in the garden for two hours. OH is supposed to be helping me but... he has been doing things angrily, but not exactly helping. And I just heard a yell. He says he has 'done his back in'. Sigh. (I know. I am not very sympathetic. I have given him painkillers and a heated pad, though.)

Right back to it shortly. I have washing to put out too. It will nto be fund scooping up debris with a shovel without a bit of help. Ah well.

I hope eveyone is having a good day.

p.s. Sue did you go to the ST Literary festival? A friend/ex-colleague was doing a signing of her new children's book yesterday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 9th, 2019, 10:27 am

good morning, all.

overcast - it bucketed down a short while ago and it seems it's going to do that for most of the day.
nothing planned for today other than serious amounts of hswk for the next few days - upcountry young have announced a visit later in the week and next weekend.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 11th, 2019, 7:45 am

good morning, all.
after yesterday's (mostly) sun we are back to rain for most of the day.
yoga (i haven't been for three weeks) followed by more hswk. i wish there were such things as house elves!
yesterday's post bought a copy of veganomicon, the book that efcliz (i think it was her) was using some years back - possibly when it first came out.
that and another by one of the authors, on vegan mexican cooking, came very cheaply through abe books. i was under the impression that i had told myself that i didn't need any more cook books. i obviously don't listen to myself.
i am impressed with the bra. it'll need one or two adjustments (probably on the next iteration) but even this one is more comfortable than i expected for a first try. i will start the next one after the upcountry young have gone on saturday/sunday.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 11th, 2019, 9:48 am

Three inch deep gravel trays were overflowing after last night's downpour.

I have a copy of Veganomicon somewhere. I should revisit it.

I ought to have a cookery book cull. Anathema, but I have some that were bought in bargain book shops back in the 90s because that was all I could afford, rather than them being good. It would be a very small cull though...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2019, 9:50 am

Good morning
It’s not exactly flaming June here, grey and cold but having rained for the best part of 24 hours, it is currently dry. Hurrah! Parts of the M25 are closed as the junctions are flooded

Apart from phenolics cats have been known to eat caustic soda from outside drains - the little b——S clearly have strange tastes. Used properly according to the instructions should be quite safe of course

Think I’ll go for a walk and buy more coffee beans
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2019, 10:51 am

Good morning all :D

I’ve just done a food shop that will last until the weekend ... maybe beyond ... except I fancy some smoked haddock for a kedgeree on Fri or Sat. OH might fancy cycling into the village on Friday when fish at Wrose is reduced by 20%. Important purchases today were beer and the makings of a Thai green curry as OH has informed me he is cooking supper :tu:

It’s grey and cold here too ... and wet ... vests and socks are back on, plus jumpers. OH suggested putting the heating on :shock: ... this suggestion has not been acted upon.

All plant pots here have been removed from saucers and gravel trays. :o

Have a good day folks.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 11th, 2019, 11:10 am

Kindling June next week though, Sue?!

next week's weather.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2019, 11:17 am

Herbidacious wrote:Kindling June next week though, Sue?!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 11th, 2019, 12:18 pm

God after-morning … I was so cold yesterday after my morning Zumba class, my fingers went white and numb ! :o I had to turn the heating on, add more layers of clothes and have a hot drink. :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop