good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » June 20th, 2019, 10:06 am

good morning, all.
bright with patches of sun.
i haven't been to wisely for over thirty years - i went while my partner was at a conference in guildford.
nothing planned for me - my partner is going to rush around, swearing soon as i think he may be a little behind in what he needed to do before being due somewhere at one. he was also asked to feed the local young's cat this morning.
yesterday afternoon i made myself a load of 'plastic' bags out of an old voile curtain. very thin and light so they hardly weigh anything and are transparent enough to see the goods through at a checkout - and are washable. it occurred to me that i was paying a little extra each time i had things weighed, like tomatoes, in a fabric shopping bag. one step further along the road - i'm getting there slowly. i'm one of those awful people who have always asked others why they are putting bananas and the like in plastic bags. i see so many people doing that - often of the older generation than me, which i always find surprising.
i also made a couple of net bags for the makeup remover pads i made a while back - one for the wash, one for the cleans.
now back to the other couple of sewing projects i have on - i also have another to add to that list, for my partner - when he decides which shirt he wants replicated in the loudest african fabric i have - which is excessively loud.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 20th, 2019, 10:27 am

scullion wrote:my partner is going to rush around, swearing soon

yup - it's started.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 20th, 2019, 3:21 pm

You've reminded me that I used to use muslin nappies for makeup removal/cleansing. Someone had given them to me second hand for one of my babies but I didn't use them. Lasted years. I have just looked at the mothercare site, they still have them and you would soon recoup the cost if compared to disposable wipes, tissues etc. I know you could just buy muslin but .....
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm

That's a good idea, EM. I bought some muslin cloths (Dirty Works?) a while back. I am sure they cost more than nappy liners. Slightly abrasive which is probably a good thing? Exfoliation and all that.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 20th, 2019, 4:46 pm

I just use a face flannel, warm water and Dove soap. :-D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm

i don't use soap on my face, especially round my eyes, just 'simple' eye makeup remover followed by water to rinse the remover off. i'm one of those people who would invariably get soap in their eyes.
the little cloth circles i made are just big enough to do the job - the size of the disposable cotton ones you can buy
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 20th, 2019, 9:41 pm

I can't use any kind of soap on my face, so use aqueous cream - no taught skin :tu: Suits me !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 21st, 2019, 6:10 am

Apparently Dove isn’t actually a ‘soap’ but a cleansing bar ... whatever it is, it doesn’t inflame my eczema, I’ve been using it as a cleanser for at least 40 years, never get ‘breakouts’ and am often complimented on my ‘youthful skin’ ... Dove and Olay work for me :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 21st, 2019, 7:28 am

Good morning
I use muslin face cloths that came with a Liz Earle wash off cream I used to use

I can’t use either actual soap or sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) on my face. Aqueous cream BP contains quite a lot of SLS, last time I tried it my face looked like a bad case of nappy rash :oops: So I use an Aveeno soap free bar :tu: I don’t use eye makeup of course

Wisley was great. I hadn’t been for about 10 years and it has been developed, loads to see and plenty of loos and refreshment stops. The rose gardens were at their best of course. So if you go get the map on the way in! Also make an executive decision as to whether or not to take a credit card, it now has a full scale garden centre which is stunning. You can go into that without getting a ticket, it’s quite expensive I think I went as the guest of a member.

Best thing was we went to the bird hide and watched a great spotted woodpecker on a bird feeder about 2 metres away, he had a bright red biretta

Have a good midsummer solstice everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 21st, 2019, 7:56 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
my partner has gone off to cook stuff 'con sol' in another location.
i am making a shirt pattern.
dove is a syndet (synthetic detergent) as are most 'soaps' on the market now, rather than proper soaps, which are mainly relegated to the handmade realm.
syndets are more ph neutral which is meant to be gentler on the skin but some people do react to some of the chemicals in the ingredients.
i'll stick to water (and the 'simple' remover - and sometimes, a little coconut oil) - it seems to work fine for me. sometimes i use the coconut oil as a mascara remover instead of the 'simple', too.
i have to make my own coffee - never mind.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » June 21st, 2019, 1:51 pm

I’ve never used soap and water. I usually use Simple cleansing lotion, but they changed the formula about six months ago, and it’s nit as good.
Amber
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 21st, 2019, 2:13 pm

I don't use soap on my face. I prefer Clarins gentle foaming cleaner. It's not cheap but a little goes a long way. If I need soap for other bits I use traditional olive oil soap-savon de Marseilles. It's the only soap Mr R can let anywhere near his skin because of his eczems and rosacea. He used to use Nivea for sensitive skin but they too changed the formula with dire consequences and it took us months to get them to admit that they had changed it and for what.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 21st, 2019, 2:30 pm

I use less and less of simpler and simpler stuff

I have had rosacea (currently on hold) and severe contact dermatitis

The trouble with “natural and plant based” products is that they will add 11 special herbs and spices, like KFC, and any of them can trigger a reaction, for example I can’t go near witch hazel, no 1 rosacea trigger. The Simple brand has taken to adding plant extracts to everything, don’t want the small or the potential aggro.

I use Eucerin Urea moisturiser, some elave fragrance free stuff, Aveeno. I mourn the passing of the basic Almaty and Vichy hypoallergenic products
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 21st, 2019, 6:17 pm

I confess i sometimes use biodegradable face wipes, or I use a face wash, or I use cotton wool pads with a micellar cleanser. I also use cotton wool pads (special ones i buy in France) as I use a toner too. I do wear foundation on work days and face wash or wipes never seems to get rid of all of it.
I am still prone to spots at 52 :( and always assume my skin is oily - another reason for toner.
I guess my best non wasteful option is face wash and a cloth to use toner if I continue with that.

At my mother’s - did shopping -took nearly two hours. One has to check all the sell-by dates. Came back to feed her (carers cancelled for the day) then out again to buy her plant food and vitamins. Had lunch in garden centre. ‘Potato flan’! Bought a gorgeous Delphinium for me. Faust.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 22nd, 2019, 8:36 am

good morning, all.
it's sunny again today.
my partners cooking was a great success. they cooked ordinary bread and, at the suggestion of an italian 'woofer', olive and seed bread, sausages and popcorn. the kids, there, were most impressed it seems.
yesterday, i got the pattern made and the fabric cut for the shirt, bedding changed, washed and dried, other washing done, a bit of vit d top-up and another pattern copied twice - it's an old paper pattern from the sixties of a style that's back in fashion (if it ever really went out) that i want to make again in my size, now - rather than the size i was when i was twelve (and very skinny). the other copy is for a friend who says she's been looking for a similar pattern for quite a while.
today, i think some more sewing, a walk on the beach and watching the f1 qually are the only things planned (for me) at the moment - other than the, usual, slug hunt.
coffilepathy's being practiced.
have another glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 22nd, 2019, 9:42 am

Good morning
Lovely day here, sunny, light breeze etc.

I did a load of laundry too yesterday, and changed the bed. Some folding and putting away to do. A bit of clearing up before I close blinds against impending weather. Not clear how much of the wild and wet stuff we’ll get here - we might be just south east of the line or we might not. But it seems certain we’ll get the hot and muggy part

No huge plans for this weekend, will go for some walks to keep up the exercise and potter on

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 22nd, 2019, 4:54 pm

Has it been warm down south? All my plants look distinctly dry (but not quite drooping). I will endeavour to pot as many things on as possible tomorrow,. Need to get everything in final big pots before holiday on the 5th. Next week looks to be a scorcher.

Spotted these in my mother's sainsbury's yesterday. The susages and 'steaks' are almost enough to tempt me into having a barbecue.

https://alfrescocheese.co.uk/products/

The Feta and Camembert look like something you could just do yourself, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 23rd, 2019, 11:13 am

good morning, all.
overcast and breezy.
the only thing 'planned' yesterday that actually happened was watching qually (and slugging).

i have just deleted a rant - it was good writing it down.
i once wrote a letter to the cambridge police after being the only one, parked on a verge while attending the folk festival, who had a parking ticket. i was also the only car in the line that had an antinuclear sticker. i ranted with venom and invective in the letter about victimisation etc - then wrote another, with a cheque for the fine, pointing out that i thought it strange that i was the only one with the ticket (and the antinuclear sticker) in a line of over a dozen cars. they sent back the cheque and said they would let me off this time. the first letter was the one i really wanted to send, though.
maybe some sewing, today, and some bamboo cutting, i need some pea sticks and the branching tops of the bamboo makes good ones - and then i also have seven or eight feet of bamboo cane to use, too.
have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am

Very hot and humid here. It is blight weather.

Just done an hour and a half in the garden. Need to do more. It really is a case of forcing myself today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 23rd, 2019, 11:41 am

Herbidacious wrote: It is blight weather.

some of my potato haulms were looking worse for wear - the potatoes were delicious, last night.
i'll definitely be growing lady chrystl again.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am

it's raining.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 24th, 2019, 9:37 am

good morning, all.
not raining.
no coffee yet - but then there's no milk either.
no fruit and veg left.
no plans for today other than a walk at four - and, from the above, looks like shopping.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 24th, 2019, 10:24 am

Good morning all :D

Very still and muggy ... 26.9C and rising ... I’m clearing the broad bean patch and planting the toms in their place, but there’s no air ... I’ve come indoors for a cold drink.

Shopping has been done so once I’ve done what needs to be done in the garden and prepared a version of Coronation chicken with new potatoes and salad I will get on with my new book ... Andrew Motion’s Walking Home ... his account of walking the Pennine Way ... really enjoying it.

Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 10:32 am

Good morning

The heat and sunshine we were forecast for Sunday through Wednesday isn’t quite materialising, overcast but warm and set to stay that way

Quite muggy though

I am drinking Aeropress coffee, I think the espresso machine is giving up, it just randomly decides it can’t force water through the coffee, despite having been carefully cleaned, descaled, set up etc. It’s frustrating and an awful waste of time and coffee. So far the front runners are Gaggia, Heston, and Smeg. It’s a lot of money so will ponder a while.

I will need to do a bit of shopping later too

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 24th, 2019, 10:51 am

my gaggia does that sometimes but they have the ability to back flush using a blank in the portafilter. it forces the water, under pressure, back through the pipe and clears it. some makes can, some can't. my brother's old delonghi couldn't. he now has an all singing, all dancing heston (sage).
have you looked on youtube to see if you can fix it?
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 11:01 am

It's a fairly basic DeLonghi that was a freebie (though it has had a paid repair, a switch replaced)
It doesn't do back flush and it's now doing it about 50% of the time, priming by running a bit of water through it first used to fend it off, but this seems to have stopped working

I'll maybe have a go with a commercial descaler/cleaner (I use citric acid) but I have little hope
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 24th, 2019, 11:20 am

the commercial descaler i bought for mine, before you-tubing the fix, is just citric acid so it's unlikely to do anything more than you've already done.
i like my 'classic' but i do have gadget envy over my brother's sage - eye-wateringly expensive though. you'd have to make lots of coffee to justify the cost - although it does remember how you like your coffee!.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 11:37 am

I was looking at the entry level Sage - apart from anything else the £1000+ ones are simply way too big for the space available
I was looking at the Bambino which is very cute, but you can't override the shot volume, and I think that might annoy me so it's this one or Gaggia Classic, ot possibly the Smeg, though I think that doesn't quite have the features of the others (but £100 less)

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/products/espresso/bes810.html

Some of the commercial descaling mixes contain detergent as well as acid. Can be a pain to flush out, but might help. I've just looked at the Sage troubleshooting guide, and might try loading the coffee a bit differently too.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 24th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Life is simpler with a filter coffee machine... ;) Meanwhile my Sodastream is kaputt. Sodastream say I can send it back to them (to check if it's really broken... :? ) I am grateful that we have a 100 year email back up (!) at work which enabled me to find th receipt from Ocado.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Life is simpler with a filter coffee machine...

Except that they don't make espresso! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I really miss it, the AeroPress is not hitting the spot

Shame about the Sodastream though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 7:40 am

I hope you find a new one soon. I can look up Which? reviews if you like.
Yes, a bit annoying about the Sodastream. Will have to try to get it packaged up today, although knowing my luck, they will send it back while I am on holiday.

Was just about to leave yesterday when the door bell rang. OH had forogtten to tell me that people were coming to put scaffolding up ... to fix a loose tile. So that is supposed to be happening today. I am a bit worried about my plants.
I won't be home till late as writing meeting tonight.

Dull and dark here. Rain in town I think. Meanwhile 32 in Paris. I am glad it's not going to be super hot here while on holiday though (unless forecast is wrong.) A plants consideration too. I hope that's not selfish. 24 degrees is pleasant?

I hope everyone has a good day today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 25th, 2019, 8:02 am

good morning, all.
sunny/cloudy today and forecast to be a little cooler than yesterday - the car said it was 23°c when we went to the beach at four.
as the beach café was closed when we walked back we went to the blue bar instead. most people were sat outside. the sofa's were free inside. nothing like a comfy sofa and a cup of coffee after a good walk.
yoga this morning with a drop off to a friend for coffee after.
she had heart surgery a couple of weeks ago so i very much doubt she'll be at yoga!
yeah, shame about the sodastream - i've never had one break on me and i've had different models of them, continuously, since the seventies. sure the rubber seal hasn't dropped out when you changed the cylinder - or is it a different problem?
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 10:07 am

The problem is after I have fizzed up the bottle of water, it's fiendishly hard to release the bottle. I used to be able to do it with one hand. Now you have to grab the whole machine in your arms and try to twist. I can't actually do it. I have to get husband to have a go. And clearly I can't be relying on him for my fizzy water... ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 25th, 2019, 10:54 am

Good morning all :D just ...

I’ve been out there picking peas and digging up part of the clump of Gardener’s Garters which is threatening to take over the world. The garden is full of baby birds practising aerial manoeuvres taking no heed of any humans they might be zooming past :lol:

Have a lovely day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm

StokeySue wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:Life is simpler with a filter coffee machine...

Except that they don't make espresso! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I really miss it, the AeroPress is not hitting the spot

Shame about the Sodastream though

I make perfectly acceptable espresso in my cafétierre (sp?) I only have one a day so the single size with a heaped spoon of ground coffee is just right.

btw: hello everybody …. :wave: :wave: :wave:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Not sure that technically speaking, that's an espresso, Pat :)

I hope you had a lovely holiday.

Just to spoke to husband. Roofing people did the small job they had been employed to do, then mentioned to husband, as they were knocking off at lunch time, that we need more work doing - flashing or something. :evil: £800 quid for scaffolding, that is now obligatory for any roof work, on top of their fee, so obviously want to make the most of the scaffolding but it also needs to come down by the weekend, ideally (it's on the patio where I grow my tomatoes. It misses them by a few mm.) I hope they can be persuaded to do the job before then. I hope the scaffolding can be got rid of quickly. Last time it took ages. Don't want it up while we are on holiday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 25th, 2019, 1:41 pm

the sodastream i have at the moment is hard to undo unless you tilt the bottle up in the 'shaft' to release it. i'm assuming that this isn't your problem.
this is the model i have.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 25th, 2019, 1:49 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote: make perfectly acceptable espresso in my cafétierre (sp?) I only have one a day so the single size with a heaped spoon of ground coffee is just right.

As Herbi says, that’s not technically an espresso. An espresso is made by forcing water through coffe at 15 bar pressure; the pressure is the thing (hence esPRESSo) Steeping coffee in a filter or cafetière extracts different flavours, and I can certainly tell the difference.The AeroPress is closer but still not the same :(

My flashings cost a fortune, despite replacing lead with zinc and getting the full scrap value of the lead, but I have gullies as well as the little strips.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 25th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Not sure that technically speaking, that's an espresso, Pat

I'm not that much of a connoisseur … whenever I have an 'expresso/espresso' in a posh shop, it tastes exactly like what I make in the cafetierre at home, as well as from the tassimo machine in the shop ;) Now a decent cup of English tea is another thing entirely ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » June 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm

the tassimo is most likely an espresso - it forces the water through the capsule under pressure.
it's very convenient but horrendously expensive on coffee and resources (- unless you get reusable capsules and fill them yourself).

i felt very smug yesterday. i was using one of my 'curtain' bags to put pears in at the supermarket, yesterday, when a woman turned to me while loading her arms with loose apples and said - 'wow, i really need to get some of those'. i pointed out what they had been and she said,' brilliant, well done you'.
hopefully she went home and made some of her own.
the local, eastern european shop has started using paper bags for bread and fresh stuff. i said how pleasing it was, as i paid for the dark, caraway bread (and other bits) the girl said she thought it was a good move - i said - it always used to be like that, no plastic bags, stuff just weighed and tipped into a basket or paper bags. veg didn't sweat and go bad so quick, either.

soap box back in the cupboard now.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Our local Turkish shops hand out carrier bags for free, but everything you buy - fresh veg, bread, cheese (wrapped) or cans - all goes in that - or, hopefully, the bag you have taken yourself.

Pat, I can only judge tea by it's colour ;) I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur either really, although filter coffee is my preferred type. Your cafetiere coffee must be quite strong... :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 26th, 2019, 7:35 am

Ugh still grey and dull outside. Less humid though. When will the weather turn.

I am in a queue for National Theatre ticket sales, having paid up the lowest amount for advance booking. I fear I will get to the head of it around the time I need to leave.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2019, 8:18 am

Good morning
The anticipated heatwave has definitely not materialised, and it’s a lot less muggy than it was. I adjusted blinds and windows to keep the house cool, assuming it would start cooking from sunrise, but there’s no obvious sun and to be honest my toes are a bit chilly.

Off to London Museum of Fashion & Textile soon with the oldies, cook book club tonight

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 26th, 2019, 8:27 am

The forecast here says the sun arrives tomorrow.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » June 26th, 2019, 8:54 am

Guten Morgen from a hot, but not too humid Wuppertal!

Paper bags don't have that good an ecological footprint, although they are better for mushrooms than plastic.

I have my nylon bags, but I don't mind the thin bags, because I reuse them several times at home. In the end they become bathroom bin bags.
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 26th, 2019, 9:15 am

Good morning all :D
Hessian, cotton and string bags here ... a couple are wearing a bit so will go on the compost heap when I’ve got around to making some more.
Eating walnut bread toast and honey as fuel for tennis ... then back to watch some tennis from Eastbourne and look at my fabric stash and ponder on cushions ...
Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 26th, 2019, 9:54 am

earthmaiden wrote:The forecast here says the sun arrives tomorrow.

it always says that. Mañana...!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 26th, 2019, 9:55 am

I manged to get onto the NT booking system. You get ten minutes to book tickets. i spent most of this cursing the site (I also had ten minutes before leaving for my train) before I realized that actually signing in was required. Doh. Tickets booked for a Neil Gaiman thing... in January!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby uschi » June 26th, 2019, 9:59 am

Herbidacious wrote:I manged to get onto the NT booking system. You get ten minutes to book tickets. i spent most of this cursing the site (I also had ten minutes before leaving for my train) before I realized that actually signing in was required. Doh. Tickets booked for a Neil Gaiman thing... in January!

Oooh, I loved his "Sandman"!!!
Memo to self, have a look at "Snow, Glass, Apples" and see if it is good for a Christmas gift. Should be, Colleen Doran and Neil Gayman are great!
uschi
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 26th, 2019, 10:08 am

I saw him in conversation with David Mitchell - The Cloud Atlas guy - a couple of years ago.

He came over as a bit up on himself... David Mitchell seemed like a really nice chap.

I really like Neverwhere.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop