good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby uschi » June 26th, 2019, 10:17 am

I only know the comic book, but that is superb!!!
uschi
Registered

Postby scullion » June 26th, 2019, 10:27 am

good morning, all.
overcast and close.
the usual drama of my partner's 'wheres my phone and/or wallet?' (both today) has been solved and i've suggested that he puts the track my phone ability on my phone. i usually phone it for him but if it isn't in the house there's not a lot of point in that.
taking a friend, with a fear of dentists, to the dentist this afternoon.
the gardening group's visit to trerice, yesterday evening, was good, very relaxed, and seemingly simple, planting. it has changed quite a bit since the last time i went a couple of decades ago.there is a different chap in charge of the gardens since then (he's also responsible for trelisick, glendurgan and another i can't remember) not the house, of course, just the gardens.
this was followed by a shared 'picnic'. it always amazes me how varied the food is on such occasions.
have a good day, everyone
Herbidacious wrote:it always says that. Mañana...!

the cornish equivalent is 'dreckly', though it's not as urgent as mañana.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » June 26th, 2019, 10:57 am

scullion wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:it always says that. Mañana...!

the cornish equivalent is 'dreckly', though it's not as urgent as mañana.

Scullion, "dreckly" got me, too. I looked myself up and down to find the "Dreck" (German for dirt) until something clicked. :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2019, 4:58 pm

The NT site is a pain - I've signed up several times for the mails about the performances shown live in cinemas

Except I obviously haven't, as I've never had a single mail from them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 26th, 2019, 6:34 pm

i used to get the emails but they seem to have stopped in the last month or two. we have had to check on the cinema's website so as not to miss anything.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 26th, 2019, 7:31 pm

scullion wrote:the tassimo is most likely an espresso - it forces the water through the capsule under pressure.
it's very convenient but horrendously expensive on coffee and resources (- unless you get reusable capsules and fill them yourself).

i felt very smug yesterday. i was using one of my 'curtain' bags to put pears in at the supermarket, yesterday, when a woman turned to me while loading her arms with loose apples and said - 'wow, i really need to get some of those'. i pointed out what they had been and she said,' brilliant, well done you'.
hopefully she went home and made some of her own.

I'm afraid I don't have any control over what is provided in the shop … I have an Americano on the 2 days I am there.. one each morning and then tea in the afternoon (which needs to brew for 5 minutes before adding milk ;) ) The boss's son will only drink bottled water and the boss only drinks Pepsi Max (or Cappuccino ) :rolleyes: :evil:

I think you said Scully that you made your bags from old net curtains ? Well I would need to buy net curtains to turn them into bags. A bit of a pointless exercise I think ;) :lol: I have never had net curtains at my windows, but suppose I could always enquire at a charity shop ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » June 26th, 2019, 10:02 pm

when i say net curtain, it was three or four metres of organza that my daughter had as a decoration round her bed. apart from the bags, some is also stretched on a frame for screen printing!
i, too, have never bought net curtains although i do have some that were given to me for another purpose..
i would be more than happy to make you a few bags if you wish, i think i still have your address from when you sent me the kefir grains (which are still going strong and some of which are now with my daughter).
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 27th, 2019, 8:18 am

good morning, all.
very bright but not the full sun that the met office says we're having - and very breezy.
sewing with the girls later, included in which is taking one to the docs for a dressing change and infection check.
on the way, i'm on cat feeding duty again.
yesterday, i split up and repotted a very large pot of coriander into an even larger couple of pots, put into bucket sized pots (ok, buckets which i've burned holes in) some tomatoes that were coming into flower in tiny pots and planted out some baby lettuces from the living salad tray. i'll go and check everything has enough water before i go - the weather forecast says we'll have another scorcher today.
need to get a move on if i'm to prepare food to take, sort out a sewing machine and stuff, and have a coffee.
our internet keeps dropping out as i'm trying to submit. thank the lord for copy and paste.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 27th, 2019, 9:51 am

Nice and sunny here.

I should have another go at coriander. It always seems to go to seed.

I still have some toms to pot on - this weekend. In fact everything that will ever need potting on or out will be potted on or out this weekend, apart from perhaps the artichokes. At least, this is my intention!

One of my (potted) dahlias has started flowering :) Plus coreopsis and cosmsos (a lovely dark one.) I am now 'harvesting' (picking...) tomatoes, courgettes, strawberries, redcurrants and raspberries... in very small quantities!

Husband is off to his mother's today, and not back till tomorrow, so I am looking forward to an evening on my own (!) I may/should cook with the courgettes - we are out at the theatre tomorrow evening. Also hopefully having the scaffolding down tomorrow, but not holding my breath. Will be very very upset if not though. I need to rearrange all the plants that need watering while away this weekend which I can't do if the scaffolding is there.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 27th, 2019, 10:03 am

scullion wrote:i would be more than happy to make you a few bags if you wish, i think i still have your address from when you sent me the kefir grains (which are still going strong and some of which are now with my daughter).

That would be great - thanks … I was thinking this morning in the shower, that bars of soap get really slippery when wet … I have some muslin, so I may make some (small ones) myself from that too :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 27th, 2019, 10:17 am

Herbidacious wrote:Pat, I can only judge tea by it's colour I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur either really, although filter coffee is my preferred type. Your cafetiere coffee must be quite strong...

My tea has to be brewed for 5 minutes before adding milk ;) :rolleyes: … I put a heaped spoon of ground coffee in the individual cafetiere … but I only have one of these a day, and not every day - Tuesday and Thursday (shop days) and weekends ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 27th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Wow. Five minutes! :D When I make a cup of 'tea' for my mother, I now have to pour in the hot water first, then dip the tea bag in for less than a second :)

Coffee for me: two slightly heaped dessertpoonfuls in a manual filter to make a mug's worth. This is not very strong though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 27th, 2019, 1:41 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
scullion wrote:i would be more than happy to make you a few bags if you wish, i think i still have your address from when you sent me the kefir grains (which are still going strong and some of which are now with my daughter).

That would be great - thanks … I was thinking this morning in the shower, that bars of soap get really slippery when wet … I have some muslin, so I may make some (small ones) myself from that too :tu:

Edited to add .... now I have a use for all those lengths of skinny ribbon so often attached to clothes these days to keep them on the hanger ... only I have probably thrown them all away :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 27th, 2019, 3:03 pm

OI just cut some of those off yesterday and tied them together. Lily (cat) was ecstatic :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 27th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I should have another go at coriander. It always seems to go to seed.

It does
The varieties described as Cilantro - For leaf are better but still not that good I've used Mr Fothergill in the pasta but you still need multiple plantings and pickings

https://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/s.nl?search=coriander#.XRTvfXdFzO8
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 28th, 2019, 7:50 am

I probably just don't pick it enough, which pretty much means I don't cook enough as I love it. I shall have a go when I get back from holidya. I think I might have some seed. Thanks, Sue.

Overcast here at the moment but sunshine promised for later. 33 degrees tomorrow. The forecasted temperature keeps going up. If I am up to doing gardening, I shall have to start very early. I suppose I might mange to do some potting on later if the scaffolders come at a decent time... I am working from home today, waiting, hoping, for them to come. Also feeling rather poorly. A cold that has been coming on gradually all week, and which I thought might just be a very mild one, has matured during the night, a lot of which was spend coughing. Supposed to be going to the theatre tonight too.
Ah well better to have a cold this weekend, than next. (Flying to the south of France a week today :) )

I hope eveyone has a good day
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 28th, 2019, 9:10 am

Good morning.
Yes, we have cloud cover too, and quite a breeze keeping it cool

Better water everything before I go to lunch. Better walk as I won’t be walking much tomorrow by the sound of it

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 28th, 2019, 9:50 am

good morning, all.
sunny but still very windy, here. it's making our internet drop in and out every few seconds, although it's now been off for far longer.
the met says the wind is decreasing. i think it's still too strong to put washing out although it would probably dry within seconds.
my partner is off to solar cook over near truro when the wind decreases. he would have been gone earlier if it had been more still.
i have got some sewing to do.
we are a bit sad at the moment. a friend whose sister told us was back in hospital, yesterday morning, and hoping for a visit from us to cheer him up and who we had organised to visit yesterday evening, died shortly after his sister's call. i think it may unsettle my partner rather as he, his surfing buddy and this friend used to meet up regularly for a 'boys dinner'. the surfing buddy/best mate died a few years back from a genetic lung problem now this friend, both too young (although a few years older than my partner). if only we had known i could have seen him when i was at the hospital with the other friend on wednesday. carpe diem has never seemed more apt.

ps good old copy and paste, and i've resorted to tethering my laptop to my phone. hopefully the internet will return when the wind drops
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » June 28th, 2019, 9:56 am

i throw any coriander seeds in pots - i've not noticed a big enough difference between the two sorts to make much difference - both go to seed quickly if there's a lack of water, and if they do go to seed the green seeds taste good - if i leave them to dry i have seed for the next sowing. i think the plants i have growing were from a leaf one i grew last year though - which were seed from the year before etc.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 28th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Sorry to hear that, Scully. Very sad indeed.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 28th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Sad news scully
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 29th, 2019, 8:28 am

Good morning all

Our thoughts are with you and OH Scully :(

It’s a beautiful morning ... Norfolk is warming up at last ... I must do the deadheading before it gets too hot out there. I also have some brassicas to plant out ... this may not happen today but I must remember to move them into the shade!

DS will be heading unexpectedly for Glasto ... he’s tour manager for a notable musician who expressed a wish to see a couple of the Sunday performances ‘as the weather is fair’ ... DS contacted ‘someone’ ... complimentary tickets will be waiting for them ‘on the gate’. It’s another world isn’t it ... if I could wait until I knew what the weather would be like before I booked I might consider it 8-)

Have a lovely day folks .... and keep hydrated :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 29th, 2019, 8:29 am

Morning. Yep, it's going to be a hot one. Already 22.
And there is gardening to do. I am really unwell anyway. Terrible cold. I kept dreaming that I couldn't breath then waking up needing to cough to clear my lungs.
Very frustrating.
(I also dreamt that you get to Paris by train via central London (not the obvious route from from my home) in about 20 minutes...!)
I might sit outside with a coffee for a bit in my nightware. The sun may do me good? Then back to bed :cry:

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 29th, 2019, 9:06 am

Good morning
The heat has finally arrived here. Hatches battened (well blinds and curtains closed)

Your lucky DS Suffolk I think tomorrow will be the perfect summer day in Pilton. Shame they missed Stormzy though. I didn’t watch it all, but not though not my kind of music it was stunning, and the multimedia performance was wonderful and ran like a well oiled machine - when I went to Glastonbury the sound system was iffy and text was on banners. I guess they’d have found it technically interesting.

Having a quiet day in view of it only being a one day heatwave. Stay cool
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 29th, 2019, 10:46 am

good morning, all.
overcast and cool (we are not predicted to go above 16°c today).
am i the only person who has never wanted to go to glastonbury (the festival - i've been to the town a few times)?
i'm not a true fan of festivals, really, especially the bigger ones. i dislike the volume, the fact that you can rarely get close enough to actually see the person performing, properly, without the need for relay screens especially if you want to sit down. having to choose who you want to see (or not see) on other stages based on how close you can get to the headliner later. too many people, the toilets, the closeness of other people's tents - especially when they come back much later than you (often drunk) and then snore, loudly, keeping you awake - and usually, the mud.
people say they go for the atmosphere - i'm not sure i notice any different atmosphere from being in a normal town other than more colourful clothes, fake flowers and flags.
we watched a few bits from the comfort of our own sofa, last night, a better view on a screen, closer (and hopefully cleaner) toilet, comfy bed etc.
i've been to at least seven different festivals, some multiple times, some are better than others but to be honest there are other things i enjoy more. the toilets are never good - i was at one, a few decades ago where, towards the end of the festival, the toilets fell into their trench - the cubicle occupants would have had to wash it off in the nearby river - shudder! another that rained heavily, continuously, the tent couldn't take the strain, leaked and we had to sleep with wet bedding and puddles. another that was so windy that the tent was flattened on us for most of one night. we've been to the green gathering (not just a music festival) for the past few years - not too bad - but the toilets, after a couple of days, bleugh.
the best thing about festivals is that you really, really, really appreciate getting home. - and it's not just because i'm getting old - i felt the same about them in my twenties and i've given them more than a fair trial.
there's a very local one that's the best I've been to so far but that's because it's still quite small (although growing), latin, african, caribbean music, locals get reduced tickets, there are usually lots of people you know and can have a chat with, enough space to sit in a chair/straw bales etc, dance, see the performers close up - vegan/veg food - and we can go home for a decent sleep and a shower.

oops, got distracted by something else, anyway, rant over, nothing planned for today other than the need to get a new gas cylinder.
have a great day, everyone.

ps. looks like out internet is still dropping out occasionally.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 29th, 2019, 11:03 am

I went to Glastonbury many years ago, when it was more basic. I enjoyed it, but felt no need to repeat

I prefer one day local festivals, when younger I found it a good way of catching multiple acts for the price of one ticket. My favourite was the Alexandra Palace jazz festivals of the 70s, not overcrowded, a picnic supplemented by a row of street food stalls (first place I saw this), I saw Dave Brubeck, Muddy Waters, Dizzy Gillespie, Cleo Laine, Chris Barber, Stephan Grappelli etc, couldn’t have afforded that lot in one year at Ronnie Scott’s
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 29th, 2019, 12:01 pm

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever of going to Glastonbury. The thought of the toilets and washing facilities gives me the heebie geebies.

I enjoy a good concert, love outdoor ones where you take a picnic and chairs etc but that’s my limit. My very dear god daughter is a performer and she was asked to perform at one of the festivals last year.........I quite often go to support her when she sings but no persuasion, not even the festival winning best toilets the previous year could entice me to attend.

I will watch Glastonbury on the tv, definitely hope to catch Kylie (we are going to see her at Scarborough Open Air Theatre in a month or so) but that’s it. My best friend (goddaughter’s mother) is, much to everyone else’s amusement, a huge heavy metal fan. She goes to Download every year and usually gets trench foot it’s so muddy. She used to camp but now in her mid fifties she just goes on day tickets and comes home every night for a bath and cups of tea. Every year she says she’s not going to go again .........until the tickets go on sale.

BB

Edited to add.....I hear that Basil Brush went down a storm in the kids zone, evidently it was full of adults and he was rapping!
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 29th, 2019, 5:25 pm

scullion wrote:there's a very local one that's the best I've been to so far but that's because it's still quite small (although growing), latin, african, caribbean music, locals get reduced tickets, there are usually lots of people you know and can have a chat with, enough space to sit in a chair/straw bales etc, dance, see the performers close up - vegan/veg food - and we can go home for a decent sleep and a shower.

I've never been to a festival (unless you count Jules Holland's band at Kew Gardens ;) ;) ;) :lol: ) for precisely the reasons you have listed Scully …. however your local one seems right up my street. A couple of years ago, me and the weekend man did do the West Dean Chilli Festival … does that count :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 29th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I managed to set up my first 'Ikea' watering system this moning before it got hot. I might send a photo to Ikea as they are into 'repurposing' (they, the masters of cheap plastic produce) at the moment, if I can take a more attractive photo. But maybe I should wait until later in the year to see if it's working. (No reason why it shouldn't work...)I will set up another tomorrow if I am well enough. Tempted to ask husband to get and get more supplies to make a third one.
Attachments
IMG_0935.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 29th, 2019, 5:49 pm

At work we used to have the opportunity to go to festivals free if we volunteered to work for Water Aid. This usually meant manning the latrines/pits whether the worst or 'luxury' ones people could pay more to use. Quite a few youngsters were willing to brave it even though it was ghastly. One chap had a lovely story about having to retrieve someone's expensive watch from a pit at Glastonbury :sprout:.

I think a festival would be fun if you went with the right crowd. It might get on my retirement bucket list ;). I am sure you could make your own sanitary arrangements but it might be quite a walk.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 29th, 2019, 6:26 pm

The year before last I had a long weekend based in Glastonbury. It was interesting talking to out B&B host. She implied that it has become a very important part of the local economy e.g. her farmer brother made enough from renting out some of his fields, which were needed/wanted for access to the festival site, to not need to do much else for the rest of the year. I imagine others rent out their fields for car parking space etc..
I guess there is only so much money you can make from selling healing crystals in the town... ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » June 30th, 2019, 10:21 am

good morning, all.
overcast but bright with a 'normal' breeze.
with the replacement of the gas cylinder, dinner was the beetroot curry started the evening before, an aubergine and potato one (that i've not made before) and some garlic and coriander naan/flatbreads made with some leftover bread dough from the the previous day's 'with sun' loaf, cooked on an old fashioned griddle iron.
my partner is aiming to make more today - he really liked them. fortunately, the heavy, welsh griddles/bakestones can go on the very powerful solar cooker. mind you, he'd better get his bum in gear if he's going to get dough made and proved in time for the patch of sun.
yet another project - i've never had a tailors dummy and i've always thought how useful one would be but they never seem to have the right shape - my shape (and they're expensive). there's a very good, but again a little dear, sewing pattern out there but i really fancy making one with duct tape. it might be a good experiment to do with 'the girls' at the next sewing day - could be a laugh.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 30th, 2019, 11:00 am

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

I've been to various festivals over the years- indeed, I think Scully and I were at Cropredy the same year once. I don't think I could go to Cropredy again because it is so entwined with my dear friend who died. It was one of our regular girlie bonding things (along with Trowbridge) and it would just make me sad now (though a few other friends still go every year). I did Glastonbury a couple of times (late 80's), Reading many times (both before and after I moved there) and Womad regularly (haven't been for a few years now). I've also been to smaller, local festivals as well as day events obviously. I think I'm getting too old for the tent thing now but I did enjoy myself. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » June 30th, 2019, 11:30 am

StokeySue wrote:My favourite was the Alexandra Palace jazz festivals of the 70s

i'd forgotten about the '1st (and only) london music festival' at ally pally in 1973. i think it was a harvey goldsmith production. we had free tickets but had to leave early to get the last bus back to my friends house - not jazz but rock - and a lot of patchouli oil.
more concert than festival really - no camping - didn't need the loo.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 30th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Good afternoon :D

Happy to do one day festivals but as OH isn’t keen on camping we’re unlikely to stay overnight nowadays ... the last time I camped at a festival was at the Greenbelt Festival which was founded by, and back then it was still run by, old friends ... we didn’t camp with the hoi polloi then ... we were ‘sleeping with the stars’ ;) and had tee shirts stating that :lol: ‘facilities’ much better :tu:

:idea: Maybe DS could arrange for us to overnight in a Winnebago in the stars’ field sometime :lol:

Have a lovely day folks :D
Last edited by suffolk on June 30th, 2019, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » June 30th, 2019, 12:40 pm

I nearly went to Cropredy in 1990 but dad died just before and I pulled out. Ever since then it reminds me of that time and I haven't been back. Mrs B is not a fan of camping so we tend to go for a day. We quite like Folk by the Oak at Hatfield. I'm amazed that we haven't managed to get to Towersey, SIL lives within walking distance and there have been plenty of acts we like there.

Coriander goes to seed very quickly, some varieties might resist the urge a bit longer than others but IMHO there ain't much in it. I have found that pipiche makes a good substitute. It's not as productive in our climate (probably good in a Cornish polytunnel) but is useful cover when one lot of coriander has bolted and the next batch isn't ready. It's available from Real Seeds.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 30th, 2019, 1:23 pm

scullion wrote:
StokeySue wrote:My favourite was the Alexandra Palace jazz festivals of the 70s

i'd forgotten about the '1st (and only) london music festival' at ally pally in 1973. i think it was a harvey goldsmith production. we had free tickets but had to leave early to get the last bus back to my friends house - not jazz but rock - and a lot of patchouli oil.
more concert than festival really - no camping - didn't need the loo.

There was a similar one at The Valley (Charlton Athletic football stadium) ‘74. The Who, Humble Pie ,Lou Reed , Bad Company . Lindisfarne, Maggie Bell, Montrose (eh?) I just looked it up. Oddly I have no recollections of ever seeing Lou Reed

In other news I have now successfully made 3 coffees in a row using the old espresso machine, I was so desperate for an espresso with a glass of iced water yesterday. I also had an :idea: and (after I’d made coffee this morning) I cleaned the filter baskets in the ultrasonic bath. This might make a difference, as I can now get water to drip through the pinhole in the bottom, which I couldn’t before

So instead of doing all the things I meant to do this morning I’ve spent an hour and a half cleaning and maintaining things that benefit from a deep clean.

Have a good afternoon
l
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » June 30th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Badger's mate wrote:probably good in a Cornish polytunnel

my coriander is in the garden, i don't have a poly tunnel, unfortunately. i'll sow some more out there soon, for a later crop. i find that it goes to seed quicker if it doesn't get enough water - you can extend the leaf time by cutting off the flowers but once it's got the idea that it needs to seed it's quite persistent.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 1st, 2019, 8:09 am

Bright, cool and breezy here. Still unwell, had little sleep to staying at home. Will have to go in come what may tomorrow though.

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 1st, 2019, 8:28 am

Bright here, but quite cool …. a good day for doing the stuff I hadn't managed to get done over the weekend … just having my first T :mug:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 1st, 2019, 8:38 am

Good morning
On the coriander front, remember when you pull them up that in many Thai recipes you use the root and stem, and they freeze well.

We.have some sun and some cloud, and a bit of breeze and it’s generally very pleasant. So will go for a walk.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 1st, 2019, 10:03 am

Good morning all :D

DS didn’t have to go to Glasto after all as ‘he who must he obeyed’ had started working on something new in the studio ... it’s very complicated trying to organise the life of a genius ... apparently ;) :D

OH is weeding the veg patch ... the chickweed is rampant this year. Then he will mow and edge :tu:
I have bread proving and the kitchen floor has been washed
... when coffee has been drunk I will mostly be planting brassicas and tidying the pots on the terrace ... lunch will be zucchini and tomato pasta (first zucchini from the garden :D )

Have a lovely day everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 1st, 2019, 10:31 am

good morning, all.
overcast at them but we should have some sun later.
yes, when i buy coriander in asian shops i always look for the bunches that have the root on - there's much more flavour in the root and stems than the leaf and many indian recipes indicate using those, too, but i only pull up the whole plant at home when they start going to seed - unless i want the seed.

we watched a load of glastonbury last night. i was really impressed by 'christine and the queens' - good voice, good dancing. we weren't impressed by a girl called something 'eyelash' i know that's not her real name but that's what it sounded like. either the sound level was wrong or she just whispered, monotonously, into the mike. thankfully we'd recorded a load of the festival so we could watch the f1. - we fast forwarded through her set, stopping every so often to see if it changed at all - it didn't. wasn't impressed by 'the good, the bad and the queen', fronted by damon albarn, either, shame - cos i do like 'the gorillas' - we fast forwarded through him, too. we did watch the cure (they played at the small festival, elephant fayre, where the toilets fell into the pit - 1983), a bit of kylie and some others.
better view, comfy sofa, nice soft bed and unsmelly toilet.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 1st, 2019, 11:15 am

scullion wrote:when i buy coriander in asian shops i always look for the bunches that have the root on - there's much more flavour in the root and stems than the leaf and many indian recipes indicate using those, too, but i only pull up the whole plant at home when they start going to seed - unless i want the seed.

Mrs Patel at the Indian grocery and I have discussed the sad disappearance of coriander root from bunched herbs - it comes in from Cyprus and Spain neatly trimmed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 1st, 2019, 11:50 am

StokeySue wrote:Mrs Patel at the Indian grocery and I have discussed the sad disappearance of coriander root from bunched herbs - it comes in from Cyprus and Spain neatly trimmed

Taking of Mrs Patel the shopkeeper , :D , if anyone wants a lovely piece of gentle holiday reading then this is lovely. Although she’s Mrs Ali in this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Major-Pettigre ... 133&sr=8-1

I had it on audiobook in the car. Absolutely loved it.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 1st, 2019, 1:51 pm

I hasten to add mine really is Mrs Patel, as was another member of that extended family, my late OH's chum
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » July 2nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

StokeySue wrote:There was a similar one at The Valley (Charlton Athletic football stadium) ‘74. The Who, Humble Pie ,Lou Reed , Bad Company . Lindisfarne, Maggie Bell, Montrose (eh?) I just looked it up. Oddly I have no recollections of ever seeing Lou Reed

I was there!! I only remember The Who...and lots of naked/semi-naked bodies -it was (as far as I remember) very hot. :D :D
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » July 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am

good morning, all.
mainly sunny but a wisp of cloud has come over just at this moment - i think it'll be gone soon.
i need to go shopping for fruit and veg but i also fancy a walk on the beach. one or the other would have to be dropped as i'm driving the minibus later and the timing for that would limit the time - not enough before or after low tide to accommodate both.
i suppose this is an example of first world dilemma.
maybe i'll fit shopping in tomorrow, after i've dropped my partner near truro and my son to the airport and before picking up my partner again when his 'project' has finished.
but now i want a cup of coffee.
sun is out again.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 3rd, 2019, 10:05 am

Amber wrote:I was there!! I only remember The Who...and lots of naked/semi-naked bodies -it was (as far as I remember) very hot.

I remember it being really hot
I remember all the acts except Lou Reed, and possibly Montrose, I looked them up, a fairly heavy rock band with Sammy Hagar as lead singer, which rings faint bells. There's a Steve Lamacq style list possible of rock stars you have seen with bands other than those that made them famous - Sammy Hagar was later with Van Halen of course, and I saw Hawkwind when Lemmy was with them around the same time. I have a nasty feeling I have blanked Lou Reed because he was inaudible.

Today is a lovely English summer day, warm but not hot, mainly sunny with the odd bit of cloud , a good day to balance indoor and outdoor activity.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 3rd, 2019, 12:15 pm

StokeySue wrote:I saw Hawkwind when Lemmy was with them

Me too!! I still listen to Hawkwind. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop