good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 23rd, 2019, 5:41 pm

:hi5: :hug: :kneel:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 23rd, 2019, 5:52 pm

Herbidacious wrote:She has a uirine tract infection...

Now over diagnosed according to 'Inside Health', R4.

I am glad that you have resolved this one but it has been several days of you worrying about it. Time to have a bit of a re-think I suggest and decide what you will and won't do, don't apologise or explain, just remain firm.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 23rd, 2019, 6:33 pm

Well she has 'urgency', and feels feverish, Miss Mouse. Not sure if it accounts for her behaviour. She also has a chest infection and is on antibioics so I may yet have an aborted holiday...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » July 23rd, 2019, 9:41 pm

Like many on here, been there, done that, etc etc

Ask yourself what would she gain by you going to visit, what would you gain? What would she lose if you didn’t visit (you say she still has carers going in?), and what would you lose? (a long awaited weekend)

We found it easiest to set up a schedule so they knew when the next visit was likely to be (barring other family emergencies) and so that any possible extra visits were a bonus. We also used to remind our aged relatives of exactly how old we are now, and of our other family commitments. A bit unkind maybe, but I think elderly relatives still see you as fit young things with loads of spare time. (and to be available at their beck and call :? )
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » July 24th, 2019, 12:12 am

good morning, all.
thought i'd say it now just in case i don't get time 'later'. i've an emergency dental appointment in the morning - a victim of cherry season.
this is followed by a funeral.
thankfully our son has arranged for a friend to pick him up from the airport otherwise that would have had to be squeezed in-between, too.
i agree, setting schedules is a good idea. i know that sometimes emergencies can happen but maybe your mother would be less demanding of you if she has a set date to look forward to - but you have to be the one to chose when - you are in charge now.
hope she feels better soon.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 24th, 2019, 4:05 am

Good morning all :D

Woken by pretty spectacular electrical storm for an hour then a ten minute soaking. I got up and pulled some big windows closed and made myself an instant decaf ... now it’s just occasional spots of rain and very muggy so the windows are open again.

I agree Herbi ... a schedule is a very good idea ... and if all she is is fractious with a UTI that’s pretty good ... it can cause completely off the wall behaviour in the elderly, including hallucinations and what seems like totally ga ga behaviour talking complete bunkum ... sort the UTI out and sense is restored ... worth bearing in mind for the future.

No dawn chorus now of course, but woodpigeons are cooing, I can heat a wren chip-chipping in the garden and crow is cawing from the oaks across the way ... morning has arrived.

Good luck with the dentist and the funeral Scully ... have a good day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 24th, 2019, 7:51 am

Good morning
No thunder, lightning, wind or rain here overnight. Slept fairly well though having windows open noise woke me a couple of times
Our walk tomorrow is cancelled, as it will be too hot for a bunch of oldies to walk up the steepest hill in the area
I have an eye appointment, which means a trip through Oxford Circus. Oh dear.

Good luck with the dentist and the funeral scully,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 24th, 2019, 9:23 am

Yes I've had some pretty odd conversations with her when she has had a UTI, although she is really good at confabulating so sometimes it's not quite clear whether there is an issue. I once did have a conversation in which she was talking about Rachel. I said to her "I am Rachel," She said, "Yes, of course. I know that." Then continued to talk about 'Rachel'.
There was also the time she told me she was in a waiting room with some paramedics. I am still not sure whether she was or if she was at home or in hospital. I think the former.

I had pretty much reached a conclusion that I wasn't doing anything wrong, but unfortunately that's not enough for me to feel ok. I need her to see it too, and if she can't then that's difficult to cope with. I am lucky that this doesn't arise more often, I know. Our relationship is not the healthiest one, perhaps, and I used to rile against it, but have been avoiding confrontation, as I said, since my father died. However if I do object to any of her unfounded criticisms, it doesn't really help, as she won't see my side. I don't think we will ever had an adult-adult relationship. But she is 91. To be frank, this isn't going to go on for that much longer. I don't want to rock the boat.

Scheduled visits would be a good idea, but I don't really want such a rigid commitment. However, I can and should give her advanced notice of when I am going. I don't because I don't want to go and put off committing myself even though I have, actually, decided I will go on such and such a date :? This is a bit childish of me.

Goodness I remember a time (a long long time ago) when I looked forward to 'going home'.

Thanks you all for your comments and support though. It means a lot.

We had a storm too in SE London. Quite brief. I think it was about 1am? (Insomnia again in spite of resolved argument!) A bit of rain so hopefully that will tide over plants I didn't water last night. It's very hot here already. 38 tomorrow :o

Husband is supposed to be meeting me for lunch but I won't hold him to it :)

Currently proofing Hamlet- the Graphic Novel :o Not sure I approve but fun to proof.

Good luck with Oxford Circus, Sue. And you too with your funeral and dentist's, Scully.

I hope everyone has a good day
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 24th, 2019, 10:28 am

good (later) morning.
temporary filling and long appointment made for october. i may need a crown.
word of warning - don't put more than one cherry in your mouth at a time - otherwise get a cherry stoner. an expensive half kilo of cherries.
long enough time has passed so i can now have a cup of coffee.
i also picked up another tub of the lovely cream when i stopped to get milk on the way home (and scones of course) that's pudding sorted for a couple of days or afternoon tea.
funeral's at two. it is going to be very well attended - maybe road blockingly so.
have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 25th, 2019, 9:16 am

Morning. Working from home today to avoid train hell. The trains don't look too bad at the moment - some cancellations. But I haven't scrutinized the live boards - they said they were reducing the service and cutting speeds, so that's cancellations on top of the reduced service, maybe. Anyway, very grateful to the manager who suggested I work from home. The train home last night, although not very busy was awful as no air con. Just little windows that you can open. As soon as the train stopped, the heat began to build up, and it didn’t cool down that much while it was on the move.

Hoping to do bits and bobs around the house in my break.

It's already pushing 30 out, I think. It says 33 by 11.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 25th, 2019, 10:04 am

All jobs done except picking the last of the goosegogs and it’s too hot to do that ... 31C at the moment ... we’ll have to pick them this evening.

I plan to spend the rest of the day indoors in the shade.

Keep cool everyone 8-)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 25th, 2019, 10:19 am

I have no idea what it's like outside at the moment .. arrived at the shop at 9.45, immediately lowered the blind over the shop front, and the fan I brought in on Tuesday was already switched on. So, it's shady and with the fan, quite cofortable … just as long as I don't move too much. Just made myself my daily Americano coffee … :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 25th, 2019, 10:35 am

34C in the shade here now ...
Last edited by suffolk on July 25th, 2019, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2019, 10:45 am

So far I am sofa bound, usually feels a bit shell shocked the day after an eye treatment though I’m very glad I no longer need the very potent diuretic I used to need as cover, that gave me a hangover even if I carefully bumped up my electrolytes.
Might risk the laundry soon
Think today will be a bit of a write off, both possible long walks are cancelled of course

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 25th, 2019, 11:41 am

35.0C :shock:
Last edited by suffolk on July 25th, 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 25th, 2019, 11:47 am

Probably about the same here. Just went out to hang out some washing and dripping with sweat, so maybe higher. France the other week didn't have that effect on me..
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2019, 12:35 pm

It really is the humidity that does it. I was surprisingly comfortable waking in the desert in the Middle East where there was essentially no humidity, just needed good footwear against hot sand, though some of the locals prefer bare feet to sand in the shoes for short hikes.

Talking of which, the terrace is too hot for bare feet in the shade :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 25th, 2019, 5:46 pm

We had some ferociously hard rain (I thought it was hail at first) and thunder earlier. Keeps raining on and off now. I have bras on the line :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 25th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Bet they're overflowing ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 25th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Well that will make a change for them :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2019, 9:27 pm

:)
We had a lot of thunder. No lightning. About 3 raindrops per sq metre. That’s it so far
I notice the planes are going overhead very low, which they don’t often do, it’s a secondary flight path, presumably avoiding storms
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » July 25th, 2019, 10:07 pm

It’s still 26C in our (usually very cool) house. We’ve had blinds and curtains closed all day too.

Since I came up to bed, I’ve sprayed myself numerous times with water. And had a cool/cold shower. The relief lasted about thirty seconds :(. I think sleep may be non-existent tonight. At least tomorrow will be cooler.

I don’t know why it feels different to being on holiday - it just does. :?
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 26th, 2019, 7:36 am

Dark and grumbly with thunder here. Not sure if it's still raining.

Going into work although Thameslink is barely operating. I can get to Blackfriars and then walk. In the rain :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 26th, 2019, 8:02 am

I went to bed at 9 last night to watch the second half of Vera in itv3 … I was too hot and sweaty to get into anything else (and have recorded stuff too) .. I commented on FB that the beginning of Vera showed them in a very wet and windy situation … it looked like bliss considering how the weather was here last night :tu: ( I know, be careful what you wish for ;) :lol: )

We had a storm last night with copious amount of rain .. I had to shut my north facing windows (toilet and bathroom as the rain was being driven in - it woke me up so I'm feeling quite weary this morning. I is still cloudy so I think there is more rain to come, but we do keep getting patches of sunshine.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2019, 9:33 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment. sun later. i wish it would rain here, we had a vague spray of it, for a few seconds yesterday but i think it had evaporated before hitting the ground. the water butts are empty.
one the good things about cornwall is that our winters are warmer and the summers are cooler than upcountry (although i rather like the heat). we are in the low to mid twenties at the moment. i save programmes like 'montalbano' for bad weather/cold days for the referred heat effect!
nothing planned for today, my partner's off out soon so i'm using his data hotspot before he goes.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2019, 9:57 am

After 2+ hours of the most amazing storm I’ve ever experienced followed by several hours of rain the morning is overcast but still 26C already and the sun keeps trying to appear.
I’m indoors on the sofa in the shade, topping and tailing goosegogs ...
Have a lovely day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2019, 10:11 am

Good morning
I was woken in the wee small hours by the wind blowing in through the open window with some force, there was a bit of thunder and I could see some lightning but the full effect was hidden by buildings. So I adjusted the windows and it rained, but not heavy storm rain, quite gentle. The wind has died down and we’ve had rain off and on, not torrential. Still the odd rumble of thunder.
Not sure what I’ll do today, don’t think I’ve had enough sleep to do anything exciting.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 27th, 2019, 9:42 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment and we've had a smattering of rain but only enough to wet the surface rather than to make a difference. i will still have to water.
no thunderstorms yet but we are predicted one next week.
i have some all weather clothing combinations to sort for next week.
i now want some pretty clips for when i want to keep hair off my face - a friend chopped off my bum length hair to ear length the other day - a somewhat similar length to sue's avatar.
i may have to make the clips. the ones you buy in the shops don't usually stay in my hair - they just slide off. - maybe that's why they're called slides!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2019, 11:22 am

Good after-morning all :D

Overcast and a pleasant, slightly damp 20C here in Norfolk.

Washing has been given a double spin and draped on racks in the study, and bread has been baked and is cooling and as usual it smells wonderful :drool:

Scully ... looking forward to seeing a ‘new you’ 8-) (not that there was anything wrong with the ‘old you’) :lol:

Have you done anything with the hair that was cut off?
Do you feel lightheaded ?

Have a good day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 27th, 2019, 12:17 pm

i'm thinking of some embroidery - à la creepy, victorian, memento mori. when i've done some of the other things that i have on the go!
the temperature is pretty much like it has been all week. i am floating around in silk. a shorter version of this made from squares cut from an old, claret coloured sari. it feels like i've only underwear on - but much more decent. the coolest easiest dress that anyone could possibly make. it fits where it touches then ties round the waist. i made it a couple of years ago for a themed hen do. but wore the other twenties style dress made from the 'scarf' end of the sari. both look more swish than one would think by the ease of their making.
washing will be out on the line in ten minutes.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2019, 12:27 pm

scullion wrote:i'm thinking of some embroidery - à la creepy, victorian, memento mori. when i've done some of the other things that i have on the go!.

Did you ever read the House at Green Knowe books by Lucy Boston? They made an embroidery of the house from hair of everyone who was in it when it burned as sympathetic magic to ensure restoration. I think so anyway - I last read it more than 50 years ago!

Very elegant scully, I have a an Indian cotton beach dress so thin it would be see through if it wasn’t such a dark, busy pattern, which I wear in similar circumstances. The print is similar to McQueen’s skull print
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 27th, 2019, 7:35 pm

That's quite a drastic change, Scully.

Last time I had my very long hair cut, I kept what was cut - not that there was a lot of it. It's in an envelope somewhere. At the time, my thinking was that next time it got this long (if ever) it would be grey. It is indeed now a lot greyer, but still mainly brown.

Love the dress.

I read the Lucy M Boston books, Sue - I still have them. Don't .remember much about them though other than that I liked htem. I should, perhaps, re read them
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 27th, 2019, 10:47 pm

yes, i've read a couple of the 'green knowe' books - also some years ago!
would a self portrait be too vain‽‽ maybe a picture of our place would be a good idea for sort of similar reasons.
Herbidacious wrote:That's quite a drastic change, Scully

i think the change is more drastic for other people, really. i'm used to doing it so it's no big deal for me. i think it's at least ten times excluding this one so it happens every few years. i think i've only had it cut to mid length once, when my daughter did it for me - cos that was the length she wanted to do it, rather than the length i wanted. i can almost put some of it in pigtails.
anyway, i lost my favourite hair pin a year or so ago and i was getting fed up of using a paintbrush!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 28th, 2019, 8:29 am

Good morning :) I don't believe I am the only one awake at 9.20 :rolleyes:

It's quite dull and cool here but I'm fine with that as I have some housework to today.

I think I've mentioned that I have a visitor from California staying over with me for a few nights next week en route to Glasgow, her final destination. I do want the house to look presentable - just clean and tidy would do, but neither of those things come automatically to me. I was expecting someone to clean my conservatory inside and out on Friday, but he never turned up.. I suspected it when I reminded him the day before and he said he might be a bit later than the original time of 12.30 :rolleyes: This is his pocket money job when he is not on duty as a fire-arms police officer.. but I never heard any more from him. So, that's my task this morning while listening to the Archers Omnibus. The other is to get the spare room ready and shut the door on it ! If I can accomplish those two things I will be quite happy. :bounce:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 28th, 2019, 8:45 am

I got up at 8.45 (and by 'got up', I mean came downstairs.) Mind you I was awake at 3.
Dull here, but at least we are not supposed to be having the 24 hour rain now.

Good luck with the cleaning Pat. Our house is so bad we daren't offer anyone a room. I really need to get it in order, but it will take more than one solid day to do so and have had neither the time nor energy lately. It's also an up hill struggle keeping it that way too with OH around... :? Yet he complains about it being messy :evil:

I was out of town yesterday, where there was only light rain - mainly at Chartwell House meeting an old (school) friend and her partner. There were a lot of people there (timed entry) but the place was (apart from people) so quiet and calm.

Not sure what I am doing. Tidying house?! I did my one important pre-hpoiday gardening chore in the rain on Friday. (Planting out achocha and cucamelon plants into the raised bed and creating a very Heath Robinson support structure for them.) We did float the idea, lasst night, of Bromley for shopping but not sure if I can face it now!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 28th, 2019, 8:54 am

good morning, all.
the sun is out and predicted so all day.
i might hang out the washing i did yesterday evening.
as i put it on the horse i realised that all of my white knickers are now a creamy colour from the sarong that i'd assumed was colour fast after the amount it had been washed over the years. i'm so glad i didn't put it in with my partner's white shirts.
PatsyMFagan wrote:I do want the house to look presentable - just clean and tidy would do, but neither of those things come automatically to me.

you and me both. the only time it gets a good going over is when we're expecting visitors. i wish i (we) was less feral!.
some clothes sorting, hemming a dress, and a bit of planning required today.
coffee was presented a short while ago.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 28th, 2019, 9:07 am

Coffee and R3 are pleasant companions on a Sunday morning :luv:

OH is off to work in a few mins ... once supper is in the crock pot I shall read, write, knit and noodle ... too wet out there to potter in the garden but if there’s a lull in the drizzle I must pop out and pick the courgettes before they turn into marrows ... I suspect there may be a frittata happening later in the week.

Enjoy your Sunday folks :D

Edited cos my phone thinks it knows better than I do what I want to say :rolleyes:
Last edited by suffolk on July 28th, 2019, 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 28th, 2019, 9:14 am

suffolk wrote:Mattie’s

is that a pet name or a predictive text infringement‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 28th, 2019, 9:46 am

scullion wrote:
suffolk wrote:Mattie’s

is that a pet name or a predictive text infringement‽‽

Flippin’ phone being a clever clogs :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 28th, 2019, 9:52 am

Good morning
My house tends to be quite tidy but I’m :oops: about the little patches of muck that I missed for years before my eye op at Xmas. I hardly dusted as I couldn’t see dust, and I kept muttering about getting a cleaner

Yesterday on impulse I started to run a cloth over the towel rail radiator thingy in the bathroom, ended up having to clean the darn thing properly, starting by vacuuming off about a cup of grubby towel fluff :o

It appears to have stopped raining so I will pop out for a walk and a bit of shopping when I’ve changed the bed and washed my hair
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 28th, 2019, 12:33 pm

scullion wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I do want the house to look presentable - just clean and tidy would do, but neither of those things come automatically to me.

you and me both. the only time it gets a good going over is when we're expecting visitors. i wish i (we) was less feral!.

Rob has just turned up … well about 30 minutes ago. He thought I meant any time before next Saturday. I had made a start on the frames in the conservatory, he is now whizzing round doing the outside and the inside glass. I sometimes welcome having visitors as it gives me the impetus to put my house in order ;) :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Good for Rob!

Shame about the knickers scully, I have white bed linen mainly because I prefer it, but it occurred to me recently that it justifies doing whole loads of white stuff reasonably often, I’ve got one running just now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 28th, 2019, 5:23 pm

StokeySue wrote:Shame about the knickers scully, I have white bed linen mainly because I prefer it, but it occurred to me recently that it justifies doing whole loads of white stuff reasonably often, I’ve got one running just now

Me too …I did a bed linen wash this morning … not white as it came off the guest bed but I always do bedding at 60 economy. If it's the white bedding then my pants go in the same wash.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2019, 7:23 am

Morning. Nice and sunny here. Trains still up the spout, though, from last Thursday! All on my route cancelled. Will have to find an alternative one.

Nothing special that needs doing today apart from work. I have a deadline for Friday and it's going to be a close thing, but unfortunately I can't do nothing at the moment, and it's going to be a frantic scramble on my part at the last minute i.e. the day before I got to France.

I hoep everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 29th, 2019, 7:38 am

Herbi, train disruption must be almost unbearable on top of a London commute. :hug:

There's a lot to be said for cream coloured undies if your skin is a similar colour. They show least through summer garments.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2019, 7:56 am

EM I am kind of lucky to have various routes into town, but the ones other than the one I usually take, take a lot longer. Just realized my intended (late) train has been cancelled :evil: I always feel I am being looked at disapprovingly when I am late for work. I don't think the Tube users get it and/or think I should move somewhere that has the Tube.

Yes I have a couple of flesh-ish coloured bras for this reason. Not very attractive, but...

edit: Apparently, Basil just brought in what looks like a poisoned rat... I am rather worried. A neighbour said he was posioning them and I expressed concern about the saftey regarding our cats, but he obviously doesn't care.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 29th, 2019, 12:47 pm

good aftermorning, all.
raining. if it was heavier it would add a bit into the butts - but it isn't.
which one of you has walked off with our groundsheet? it's black, about 3mx2m and i want it back, please.
i've put away my sewing machine for a couple of weeks. the living room is looking a little less industrial!

i think the butts are filling a little, now (an hour after i started writing this - i got distracted searching for a specific antique machine needle), so i won't be going out to water today.
have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Hmmm ... I know I posted on here this morning ... it must’ve evaporated into thin air :lol:

I told you OH was cutting the grass .., well he’s finished that and as I’ve finished de-scaling in there he’s de-moulding the bathroom ... a combination of warm muggy weather and two showers a day each seems to have encouraged black mould to take up residence in the grouting :twisted:

I’ve been doing some deadheading, watering and feeding and now all the stuff for tonight’s frittata had been prepped I shall get on with my knitting.

Enjoy the day folks. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 29th, 2019, 2:50 pm

suffolk wrote:de-moulding the bathroom

Any magic recipe? I think I have tried everything but there might be a miracle cure.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 29th, 2019, 2:53 pm

miss mouse wrote:
suffolk wrote:de-moulding the bathroom

Any magic recipe? I think I have tried everything but there might be a miracle cure.

I find the Dettol brand of mould and mildew remover very good, it’s in a green trigger type bottle.

BB
Busybee
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop