good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby earthmaiden » July 29th, 2019, 3:14 pm

I use neat bleach and an old toothbrush.

Hope Basil's alright. He should be if he didn't eat the rat :sprout:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 29th, 2019, 3:18 pm

miss mouse wrote:Any magic recipe? I think I have tried everything but there might be a miracle cure.

Seatallen, cleaning guru. recommended Lakeland Blitz that Mould - gel for tricky areas, spray too. The gel even got rid of those little jet beads embedded in the silicone sealant, impressive.

Actively avoid the Jeyes one with a brush on applicator, useless and it splashes everywhere

I though I posted too earlier :wave: hello again
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 29th, 2019, 4:06 pm

miss mouse wrote:Any magic recipe? I think I have tried everything but there might be a miracle cure.

Lakeland 'Blitz That Mould'. I swear by it. Never fails. :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Basil seems to be ok, but this is going to be an ongoing worry. I suspect the rats were disturbed by the removal of the shrubs etc at the bottom of the garden rather than there being a sudden population surge.

Ii have a substantial black mould issue to tackle when I get to France at the end of the week. (Result of leaking roof and hole in the columbage - both issues now fixed.) I was going to buy some fungicidal wash from B&Q - tonight actually. I have even bought masks and goggles :o not sure how bad it is. Husband doesn't seem to be able to decribe it to me adequately, so taking no risks. Wish I'd thought of Lakeland as I placed an order with them earlier today for a new cool bag.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 29th, 2019, 4:41 pm

I hope Basil is ok Herbi, I’m likewise a bit worried about it our dog. He has caught and eaten a rabbit, I’m worried about if it was ok as normally I’m not sure the old dog would have been fast enough to catch a healthy rabbit. I’m hoping it didn’t have myxomatosis or some other nasty.

Not that it seems to have affected his appetite, he has been caught gorging a ripe plums in my mums garden!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 29th, 2019, 5:33 pm

If it had myxomatosis he will be fine, it won't cross the species barrier

The big risks with vermin are leptospirosis (especially with sewer rats - if you are ever bitten by a rat go to A&E, do not faff about) but although that can be caught by consuming them, it's fairly unusual, and not so common away from city sewers, and of course poisoned bait, but also they do choose poisons that are far more dangerous to rodents than to other animals though of course they can't be completely safe,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » July 29th, 2019, 6:15 pm

The other disease that is affecting rabbits in the UK at the moment is RVHD2, but I don’t think that can affect other species. A quick google suggests there is something dogs can catch from rabbits, but it isn’t common in this country https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/tularemia-or-rabbit-fever-in-dogs.html I’m sure he’ll be ok, maybe he was just lucky with his hunt!

I had a very nasty bite from one of my rats a few weeks ago, had to go to the walk in centre and was given antibiotics. The nurse practitioner didn’t really know what to do, don’t think she’d dealt with a pet rat bite before :lol: Rat bite fever was in the news recently as someone with other health conditions and who didn’t seek treatment for a bite died.
smitch
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 29th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Thanks Sue and Smitch, he certainly looks ok but you still worry. Ouch re the rat bite Smitch.

Talking about unusual bites, when I worked in primary care we had a patient present with a leopard bite on her thigh! A supposedly ‘ tame’ leopard bit her whilst she was in safari, it was so tame it lived around the camp. What was more mind boggling was that our computer system (mid nineties) actually had a Read code ( code for recording clinical diagnosis etc) for a leopard bite. This made us search for unusual diagnosis, we also had a code for a head injury caused by falling space debris, a code for common cold took us rather longer to find :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Oh dear, BB. I do hope he continues to be be ok too.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2019, 9:27 pm

He’s used neat bleach on the ceiling etc ... he wears safety goggles when doing it. As for the grouting (he’s not done that today) we’ve tried everything Lakeland has to offer, plus a steam cleaner ... he thinks he’ll revert to bleach and a toothbrush ... one day we’ll have to scrape it out and regrout I suppose ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 29th, 2019, 10:19 pm

The best thing I’ve found for grout is the cream cleaner with a touch of bleach (Cif or Astonish) on a little brush - it maybe takes a little layer off the surface? I don’t think there’s much difference, but suspect Astonish rinses away more easily

Actual grout cleaner achieved nothing in my hands
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 30th, 2019, 7:08 am

Thanks, one I haven't tried yet.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 30th, 2019, 7:28 am

Morning. Bright but not bright and a little breezy.
They are prepping to install the new fence right now. Looks like it’s about 6ft. Won’t keep any adults out but at least we won’t have any little children running amock in the garden… Um. (As if.)
Lunch out with friends and Stem&Glory today.
I hope everyone has a good day.
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 30th, 2019, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 30th, 2019, 8:04 am

good morning, all.
raining. it rained on and off yesterday and most of the night, so hard at times that the roof leaked. i think the water butts will be well and truly filled and i won't have to water. the met suggests that it might clear up later.
it's now coming down harder again.
off to yoga in a bit but first - coffee.
have a dryer day than me, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 30th, 2019, 8:30 am

Good morning
Grey and cold at the moment, rain expected around the time I go out for lunch

Much cooler than yesterday

Need to go to the bank first before I go to eat
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 30th, 2019, 9:27 am

Good morning all :D

An early start this morning as OH has a 9-6 day today as one of his colleagues spent the weekend in hospital ... he’s home now but doing short hours for a bit. The up side is that I’ve already done the paperwork, made the phone calls, buffed the wood floor and waved the duster that I’d intended to wave yesterday but didn’t :lol:

I’ve also picked some runner beans to add to the minestrone I’ll start to make in a few minutes when I’ve finished this coffee :mug:

I forgot to tell you that on Sunday I had a visit from the fire brigade to check smoke alarms etc ... they fitted a new one upstairs FOC and will replace it when it dies :tu: All very good and they approved of most things that we do to keep ourselves safe. :hi5:

Right ... now to make that minestrone ...

Have a good day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 31st, 2019, 7:14 am

Morning. Dull, dark and windy. Quite a few of my plants had fallen over when I got home last night - tomatoes had fallen off the quadgrow and inca berry plants were on the ground. Quite a lot of branches broken :( This happened almost exactly this time last yea when we were in Italy. Last night, we quickly constructed a frame to put round one lot of tomatoes that are not against a wall of any sort, tied the rest to the ivy. Need to come up with something to stop the inca berries, which are free standing, from falling over. I thought maybe put them two to a large plastic storage box (of which I have one, at the moment.)
Anyway, I do not like this weather! We went out for dinner locally last night and it was damned cold coming home at 10pm!
Lots to do at work today.
Will start thinking about what to take on holiday this evening. Spent yesterday wondering if (agonizing about!) I could leave early on Friday and/or drive through the night to get there, but decided to stick with plan A even though it wastes a whole day. Next year we will try to book a ferry crossing as soon as places become available (it's the cabins that run out), but I think the trick is not to travel on a Friday or Saturday... which is a bit wasteful of annual leave.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 1st, 2019, 7:19 am

Morning. Cloudy, but it's warmer than it looks out. Did a quick change into something cooler.

The wind seems to have dropped, thank goodness. I have 8 sweetcorn plants and one had all but broken off - hanging on by a thread - and two others half broken. I created little cane and string cages for them last night, and moved them (they are growing, wind aside quite successfully, in bags for life) round the corner to in front of the shed where they will get less wind but also less sun and light. Will leave them there until I get back, I think. Arguably, they would have been sufficiently sheltered had the fence and shrubs not been taken away...

Nothing special to do today other than work. Yesterday we had a little talk from a film maker at lunchtime, who is (bizarrely) doing a tie-in with an ancient Usborne book.

https://bloopmag.co.uk/borley-rectory-d ... al-review/

I hope everyone has a good day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 1st, 2019, 7:37 am

Good morning all :D

A blissful day yesterday ... see Cbox ... today will be spent reading, writing and knitting ... OH will be in the studio so I’ll probably let him have that space to himself ...

Yesterday’s walk along the cliff tops seems to have eased my blocked sinuses ... but it does mean I’ve got an odd sort of headache and popping ears ... things can only get better :lol:

Have a lovely day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 1st, 2019, 8:24 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny at the moment, dry and a slight breeze.
I’m in a field - well, a capability brown park, really.
I have a cup of coffee so it can’t be that bad.
I also slept amazingly well. The woman who snored like an earth borer, last year, is either not here this year, or elsewhere thank heavens.
Not going anywhere else today.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 3rd, 2019, 5:22 am

Cloudy and cool right now but it is early...
Off to France in about an hour.
I hope everyone has a good day!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 3rd, 2019, 8:04 am

Good morning
Enjoy France Herbi

So far today it’s bright with hazy cloud, quite cool yet but shaping up to be a proper English summer day.

Sat outside and played backgammon on Southbank yesterday, it was mostly cloudy and windy but I have. a little smear of red just below where my sleeve ends, so will apply lots of screen today before visiting the farmers market

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 3rd, 2019, 6:15 pm

Thanks. Took all day to get here, so pretty tired especiallly as up since 5am. Nothing too awful here. Just some flies in my bedroom, the odd dead hornet and of course the black mold. (Not as bad as I feared.) I did think there was a terrible ammonia smell in my bedroom and thought I might not be able to sleep in there tonight, but established that it's coming from the vacuum. Builder must have sucked something 'orrible up into it. Will have to ask what before we empty it.,. which need to do to vacuum up the flies and hornets other than the ones in my room. The house is covered with dust from the building. Thankfully OH had put throws in the settees before he left. (They are cream with pale red stripes.)
Nipped out into the back garden to see a rabbit, an interesting moth/butterfly, then out the front, a chicken with chicks trailing after her :) Curious that the cats didn't seem interested.
The apple and pear trees in the back garden look healthier than I have seen them in some time. Lots of fruit but a bit early to pick, alas.
Ah and the internet is working without having to get on a ladder and manhandle the satellite dish. Second time ever?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 4th, 2019, 6:28 am

Morning. Sunny here. Set to be quite hot I think. The cockerels have been crowing for the last 3 hours or so :shock: but I don’t mind.
Off to Domfront today for the medieval festival. A two day affair that happens every two years.

I hope everyone’s day goes ok!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 4th, 2019, 8:01 am

Good morning
I like Domfront, say hello to the gargoyles for me

Not very sunny here, but quite bright and only some high level cloud

Will go for a walk soon

Have a nice day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 4th, 2019, 8:42 am

Good morning all

Sunshine and clear skies here.

I must plant the plants I bought yesterday from Beth Chatto’s ... apart from that a lazy-ish day is forecast. I’ll roast a chicken to take to MIL’s tomorrow in a cool bag as her new oven is awaiting a spare part and she can’t use it. :rolleyes:

Then I shall knit and scratch my mozzie bites. :evil:

Ave a good day all
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 4th, 2019, 9:53 am

Hope you can find room for them Suffs, how many did you buy? :oops: Last time we went to East Ruston we were so taken with the re-vamped dry garden we bought some succulents, now I have 6 more on order :oops: :oops: :oops: Will I be able to sneak them in un-noticed :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 4th, 2019, 10:06 am

Only three Chinch ... Heuchera Marmalade, Heuchera Silver Scrolls and this https://www.bethchatto.co.uk/s-z/symphy ... e-dark.htm

The plan is to enhance the plummy bronzey silvery blues in the front border.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 4th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Thats Nice, will it divide in the future? I dont know Silver Scrolls either, need to investigate that one.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 6th, 2019, 8:08 am

Sue, you are the only person I have ever met who's not from round here that has heard of Domfront!

It was lovely to see it come alive, and be thronging with people. It's normally a bit of a dead town. Very few shops left in the old part now, but there were pop ups, for the first time I've seen, at the weekend. Perhaps one should not judge a place by it's shops but it is, surely, indicative of the economy? That and all the houses for sale. There was a lovely market (albeit eye wateringly expensive. We bought a load of jelly sweets which were a help yourself affair and they cost 27 euros! We were shocked. I am still shocked! I am eating one now... ;)

Off to meet up with BIL, SIL and 'nephew' today. They are on holiday in Tours, and we are meeting at a Chateau somewhere north of them. If I can get OH out of the house in time we will have lunch first, maybe in Chateau-Gontier. (Decided not to meet them for lunch as it's a long way and OG and I being vegetarian will cause issues regarding finding somewhere to eat, and it's going to take at least two hours to get there so don't want to waste time trying to find somewhere that will inevitably disappoint them, as carnivores.)

Weather a bit blah. Oh well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2019, 9:42 am

Herbidacious wrote:Sue, you are the only person I have ever met who's not from round here that has heard of Domfront!

Used to cross the Parc National form Flers to Fougeres via Domfront instead of using the main route

London is a bit cool and cloudy but not a lot of showers expected

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 6th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Flers is the place we go to for shops, although increasingly they seem to be shutting. While high street banks are being turned into restaurants and apartments in London, shops and restaurants are being turned into banks here.
OH's uncle lives quite near to Fougères, so pop down there. They have a good market on Saturdays (may have cropped up in a discussion on WF? I think someone mentioned truffly toasted cheese there, once.)
Today went ok. Impressive chateau but not sure it would have merited the long trip were it not for BIL etc. It also rained torrentially on the way down, but cleared up around the time we arrived at Plessis-Bourée.
Tomorrow is market day in Saint-Hilaire-du-Harcouët, so hoping to go. We've missed it a few times from not doing a full week. It's HUGE and good fun and not remotely touristy.
Mother phoned while we were coming back (I am sure has no idea how much that will cost) to crossly tell me to ring her later, as she wants to do a Sainsbury's online shop...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2019, 6:33 am

Good morning all :D :wave:

Still still comfy and cozy under the eaves listening to the jackdaws on the former roof here in Lincolnshire ... but not without a plumbing hiccough (see Cbox ... I’m using one finger on my phone so can’t be faffed to explain twice ;) ).

Not long to go now before we’re in Cornwall ... do you think the hump backed whale will still be around ... a whale spotting trip would be good 8-)

Have a good day folks :D
Last edited by suffolk on August 7th, 2019, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 7th, 2019, 8:57 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i'll be going to cornwall tomorrow.
i've just looked up about the whale (not heard any news for a while). we had a dead right whale washed up at the beach a few years ago - dead smelly - rather have a live humpback!
we went to a version of 'a midsummer night's dream' yesterday performed at a 'pop-up' version of the rose theatre at blenheim palace. thankfully we were under cover and on the back row - where the rain could not blow in!
we looked around some of the gardens before and after the play but will go back another time to look in the house. i hadn't been since i was sixteen. my partner had never been.
better go and get the coffee which is brewing before i get told off!
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2019, 10:27 am

Good morning (just) … I doubt anyone has noticed the fact that I haven't posted much since Saturday .. I have been entertaining a friend from California who was en route to her homeland of Glasgow. A few months ago I posted asking about where to go in London for some good views and StokeySue suggested the SkyGarden and what a great recommendation that was .. we had lunch there too - a tad expensive, but 'hey' we were tourists for the day. I worked out a full itinerary from Saturday lunch at Denham Village, via The Royal Standard of England (the oldest free/coaching house in England); Bourton on the Water; Adam (Henson's) Cotswold Country Farm; Tower of London and ending with a River cruise. Yesterday was a bit of a downer as we woke to the news of the Technical problems that BA had, meaning all flights out of Heathrow were cancelled :shock: A fraught hour or so searching for a seat on a train, then a cab to Euston, after which I could relax :rolleyes: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2019, 10:52 am

I saw the Sky Garden pictures on Facebook :tu: you had much better visibility than we did, I should go again on a clear day
Glad that you enjoyed it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2019, 11:49 am

StokeySue wrote:I saw the Sky Garden pictures on Facebook :tu: you had much better visibility than we did, I should go again on a clear day. Glad that you enjoyed it

One friend was disappointed that there wasn't more 'garden' but the views were breath-taking :td: :bounce: We didn't realise how many roof top gardens there were ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 8th, 2019, 11:57 am

I am exhausted just reading that Patsy.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2019, 6:11 pm

I too have seen your travels on Facebook. Your guest is very lucky and the sky garden looked wonderful!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2019, 9:29 am

good morning, all.
there's weather outside.
we aren't going to unpack the car for a little while (couldn't be @rsed last night) as the met says it's going to dry up after the thunderstorm we are due in a couple of hours. i will then have to go and do some shopping.
we'll be going back upcountry in a few weeks. we bought a lovely (new) sofa from a charity shop and it will be delivered to our daughter when they get back from the fringe (and a visit down to us - during shutdown fortnight for our son in law). it will be a good opportunity to have a return visit up to blenheim, to look round the house.
i think the weather is 'getting up'. the wind has increased and a cat has come in wet.
one of the (many) jobs i have to do is to completely clean an old honey extractor (that i bought while at the green gathering), very cheap but covered in oil.

ps. my father would have been a hundred and two yesterday - if he'd been alive - he was a bit older than my mother.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2019, 9:58 am

Good morning all

Well done with the sofa Scully :tu: So did the earth move for you or were you so kn@ckered you didn’t notice ... or maybe you we’re still en route home?

Three days away and we’re buried under zucchini and runner beans ... there will be zucchini and basil soup for lunch :chops:

Have a good day all ... mind your heads when the winds get up ... :duck:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm

no, not back by then - not that i would have noticed anyway!
the sofa is very nice. distressed, light tan leather. it can come apart as a couple of chaise longue sort of things. very comfy.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » August 10th, 2019, 8:49 am

good morning, all.
windy, overcast but dry.
still need to go shopping but not sure that today or tomorrow is a good idea - mind you, monday might not be either - unless i go quite late - when the 'visitors' are all back at their accommodation. they aren't going to be at the beach other than to look at the messy sea!
hswk is a necessity. it isn't predicted to rain so some washing would be good - the 'tumble drier' that's blowing at the moment would dry it quite quickly.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2019, 9:39 am

Good morning all

Blustery but not bad here ... at least it’s dry ... might get some undies on the line if it’s still like this when the load finishes. DS a bit narked as he and colleague should’ve been working at Boardmasters this weekend :(

OH is at work and I have to sort the spice rack
... it’s overcrowded and jars keep falling off and into the recycling bag beneath ... then I wonder where the cardamom has gone :rolleyes:

Have a good day all and wear a hard hat if going outside!
Last edited by suffolk on August 10th, 2019, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2019, 9:45 am

Good morning
I might do some laundry but I wouldn’t be putting it outside even if I had a line, don’t think there are pegs strong enough for the occasional gusts of wind
Need to go shopping at some point
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2019, 11:33 am

Wind has strengthened ... undies are draped indoors :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2019, 11:50 am

Artistically I hope! 8-)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2019, 12:53 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Artistically I hope! 8-)

Of course ... all in the best possible taste :lol:

And the spice rack has been sorted, rationalised, cleaned and refilled. 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 11th, 2019, 9:10 am

good morning, all.
sunny, at the moment, with a little breeze.
catching up with the archers - with a cup of coffee.
having eaten at the local young's last night i still need to go shopping - not changeover day so shops may be slightly less busy, especially if the weather stays good.
a job for today is to check the supports of the tomato plants. they were a little windswept yesterday.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2019, 10:11 am

Good morning
Sun, clouds, wind in apparently random pattern
Need to get on with some clearing up
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered