good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2019, 10:51 am

Good morning all
Scully, I was catching up with the Archers with you, while I made a big dish of moussaka for supper.

OH is at work, I’ll have the remains of yesterday’s supper for my lunch and then get on with the cardi I’ve been commissioned to knit for DD’s MIL, who is recovering from her broken ribs and punctured lung at home and tries to become reconciled to the fact that she’s in her mid eighties, under the supervision of two of her daughters and DD who visits with supplies of Mrs B’s favourite fish pie. Although she’s of the Windrush generation she’s never really acclimatised to the UK weather and says she feels the cold so SSIL has asked me to knit her a nice long woolly cardigan ... a proper one ... not the sort you can buy in shops ... for her birthday next month it’s nearly finished ... just the second sleeve to finish then sewing up and the button band to do. :D .... so my afternoon is accounted for :D

Have a lovely Sunday afternoon everyone 8-)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 11th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Evening. Back in England. It seems pretty windy here, but compared to yesterday and teh day before, I gather this is nothing. Some damagge to trees. Other things seem ok. Sweetcorn that was knocked over before I went away, and which I hoped might survive has died, but no more have ben knocked over.

Some tomatoes have ripened while I was away, but it's not looking great this year. My Indigo Rose tomato plants, which I grew from seed, have tiny tiny tomatoes on them - cherry sized (literally). Hopefully if I run them through the tomato mincer thingy they will still make a good enough passata. I don't think they are any good for eating as they are. I gave away a good few of these plants. I wonder if everyone else's have turned out like this. They stayed in tiny pots far longer than they should have, but that said, there are a few other varieties that never got potted on beyond a 5 inch pot (didn't want more plants but couldn't bring myself to throw them away) which haven't been fed and which have a few full sized tomatoes on them.

Husband starts new job tomorrow :shock: He has been surprisingly ok this week. I think going away really was the best thing to do, even if that's not why we did it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 12th, 2019, 7:29 am

Morning.

Dull here. Forecast for rain and top temp 17?!! :o

Just saw husband off to work. I imaigne somewhat like seeing one's child go to school on the first day of term. New suit and shirt - needed the de-hairer taking to it already (of course.)

Nothing on today other than work. Need to buy ticket to visit my mother...

I hope everyone has a good day.

Rachel
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » August 12th, 2019, 8:42 am

good morning, all.
sunny with the prospect of more sun, on and off, for the rest of the day and no rain.
the jackdaws are fighting on the roof again. i hope they're not thinking of nesting in the chimney fo a second time, this year.
good luck for your partner's job, herbi.
hswk is the only thing planned for today - and buying milk - i didn't realise we were low on it when i went shopping yesterday.
lidl are selling re-useable net produce bags. two for about sixty pence - good show lidl (not that i need them). i was asked, yet again, where i'd got mine, while at the checkout, yesterday.
coffee is on its way.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 12th, 2019, 9:59 am

Good morning
It’s currently sunny in defiance of the forecast
It’s high risk of rain all afternoon when I will be out as I have a match at 18.30 and I thought I’d go and explore the new additions to the Kings Cross quarter on the way as it’s in St Pancras
The girls in Morrison’s often ask me about my produce bags, but I’ve had them years, slightly surprised Morrison’s don’t sell them, they have a good selection of cheap reusable shopping bags
Mine probably could do with a wash, but other laundry today I think

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 12th, 2019, 10:08 am

the trouble with morrison's is that they don't sell enough choice of loose produce and what they do is much more expensive than the packed varieties. the last time i was there the only loose tomatoes were the 'salad' ones - the least tasty type, and the loose apples and pears (one variety of each) were 40p each - all of which worked out way too much per kilo!
they do have paper bags but they fall apart as you're putting produce in them.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 12th, 2019, 10:32 am

I tend to buy loose potatoes in Morrison’s as the Turkish shops haven’t got to grips with UK potato varieties
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 12th, 2019, 2:23 pm

We had a lot of rain around lunch time, but brighter now. I think I am allergic to London. Feel very bunged up and keep coughing since I got back. It's also too noisy... :shock:

I was wondering, what are the new additions to the Kings Cross Quarter, Sue?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 12th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Cloudburst almost on the dot of 4 pm :o

Like, heavy, man

T. is out sweeping the yard :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 12th, 2019, 3:37 pm

scullion wrote:the trouble with morrison's is that they don't sell enough choice of loose produce and what they do is much more expensive than the packed varieties. the last time i was there the only loose tomatoes were the 'salad' ones - the least tasty type, and the loose apples and pears (one variety of each) were 40p each - all of which worked out way too much per kilo!

This seems to be the same with all pre-packaged versus loose veg/fruit ... A spokesperson from Tesco was interviewed a couple of weeks ago and was trying to contest this fact ... but she couldn't talk her way out of it.. I try to buy British Apples but they are usually only to be had in packs of 6 :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » August 13th, 2019, 12:36 pm

good after morning, all.
sunny and showers and a little bit chillier.
back from yoga then coffee with a friend.
lidl's loose pears (and apples) work out cheaper per kilo than the bagged ones, ok, still only the single variety but still a better option - and their loose cherries were £3.99 a kilo on sunday. we binged a little.
my partner vacuumed while i was out - don't faint! i haven't praised him - he never does when i do the housework and i wouldn't like to be thought of as patronising him! (or should that be matronising - or 'peeronising'?).
have a good afternoon, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 13th, 2019, 2:57 pm

£3.99 a kilo is a good price. Jam making time?

I wonder if I will be able to make any before it's too late. Not enough time after work and have to go to mother's this weekend.

Today is day 2 of husband's new job. He seems like a man set upon a grim but unavoidable path :?

Day two back to work for me and I still can't stop coughing and feel tired and generally under par. I think I need to retire and go back to Normandy... :) The cat's wouldn't like it, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 14th, 2019, 7:11 am

Morning. Dull and overcast. Rain forecast for the whole day. Indeed it's just started raining. I might take myself out to lunch today. There is a new 'classical music cafe' opened near work.

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 14th, 2019, 7:11 am

Morning. Dull and overcast. Rain forecast for the whole day and max temp 17. Indeed it's just started raining. I might take myself out to lunch today. There is a new 'classical music cafe' opened near work.

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 14th, 2019, 7:54 am

Good morning
No cherries but lovely plums at the shop over the road at the moment. He says they are Victoria but I think they are President, delicious anyway.

The weather not so nice though, never mind

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 14th, 2019, 8:38 am

good morning, all.
wet cat at seven, more to come and drying later.
today, i will 'do' the bathroom - it needs it. i may then do the fridge if there's the will.
minibus driving this evening.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 14th, 2019, 9:28 am

Good morning all :D
I am running ahead of schedule ... bread is out of the oven and cooling ... car is booked into garage next week for a pre Cornish holiday check etc (given our recent escapade on the M25 and that the MOT is due in Nov). A pile of paperwork has been sorted and most of it shredded and two bookcases have been re-organised. OH is meticulous about some things but does not see the point of organising CDs and books :? I must pull myself together or I’ll find myself sorting out the contents of the bureau :o ... I only do that in the winter ... :lol:

Have a good day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 16th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Well it was nice this morning, but raining now as forecast. I am going up to my mother's for the weekend after work...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2019, 12:47 pm

good afternoon
It drizzled all morning, and is now raining properly, though not heavily
If it brightens I may go out again, I have been to Beauty Box and some food shops
II have also fitted a new pull to the bathroom light, and I'm eyeing up the new loo seat - it was getting the old one off that bothered me, then I had a lightbulb moment and realised that the nuts holding it in place are HDPE so I should be able to remove them with a little hacksaw

Have a good trip Herbi
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 16th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I’ve just bought a new loo seat. It’s a slow close one and dead good. Younger son fitted it but had to watch a YouTube video first. :lol:

This one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Mine is a straight replacement for the old one, Bathstore Soho
It lost its soft close some time ago, and recently cracked across (it is fractured, not just a visual crack), so I though I'd replace it, though the break is not noticeable in use, it is at least 12 years old,

I have fitted loo seats before - it's always removing the old one that causes me grief, and the new one is an improved design , so I can't use the old one as a guide,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm

good aftermorning, all.
wet - has been raining all day so far; looks like it'll continue for the rest of the day.
we have lit the stove just for the visual comfort value. the warmth is not unappreciated either.
the bathroom and fridge got done on wednesday. i'm feeling smug and resting on my laurels for the rest day (i was out all day yesterday so couldn't do it then). we had a visitor this morning so vacuuming and tidying was done this morning, too. i will have to do more over the weekend prior to the upcountry young's arrival.
i so hate hswk.
i may read for an hour or two.
have a cosy afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 16th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Good “nearly teatime” all :oops:

What a coincidence :x ... we got a new loo seat last week ... same one as yours PP https://www.homebase.co.uk/croydex-onta ... ct_p483314 ... OH removed the old one and fixed the new one ... he was pleased with how straightforward it was ... I made him a cup of tea ... :hi5:

Must get on ... just doing a buttonhole band on a cardi

Have a good evening all :D
Last edited by suffolk on August 16th, 2019, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Have totally failed to remove old one, again, just created a shower of rust

Will go to Ikea to get new shelf then get handyman round
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 16th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Bottoms up Suffs! :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail:

A coincidence indeed. :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 16th, 2019, 4:37 pm

12 years? I'm impressed. Mine tend to get discoloured and tatty after 2-3 years max (especially the year I applied cream which contained fake tan to my legs each morning :rolleyes:). I really don't know why this is as it only has normal use. I think I'm due for a new one actually, so hard to know what they'll be like or if they will fit properly before buying.

I envy you still having eyebrows Sue.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 16th, 2019, 5:27 pm

EM the one we bought will fit almost all loos and you can lift it right off for thorough cleaning ... it is anti-microbial (or something like that) and is also the perfect colour to cope with ‘tanned legs’ ... What is more it’s reduced at Homebase at the moment :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 16th, 2019, 7:15 pm

It remains to be seen how long our loo seat will last now husband is back permanently. I think we’ve bought one since we moved in ten years ago. Downstairs loo seat is the same one. Obvs don't know how old last one was. He’s got through a couple in France in the bathroom he uses almost exclusively.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 16th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Thanks Suffs. I always go for white (in varying materials) which is probably why it discolours quickly. I don't really want a wood effect one which would probably be sensible.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2019, 9:18 pm

My old one is white
It has one scar where I left a pad soaked in nail varnish remover, but it’s not (I believe) very obvious
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 17th, 2019, 9:28 am

good morning, all.
there's a big, bright light in the sky and it's not raining.
time to get the washing pile decreased.
the kitchen may get a bit of a going over, too.
nothing else planned. thankfully, i don't need a new loo seat at the moment.
i do need a cup of coffee, though, and i know the kettle and machine went on a while ago but he's obviously been distracted by something.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2019, 10:06 am

Good morning all
Rain overnight but sunshine and a brisk breeze this morning and a fine day forecast for our picnic tomorrow :bounce:
A few bits and bobs to do in the kitchen this morning ;)
The house and garden are as sorted as they’re going to be ... it’ll have to do :lol:
Have a good day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 18th, 2019, 8:40 am

Morning. Still at mother’s. Had about 4 hours sleep.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 18th, 2019, 8:49 am

Good morning all :D

Oh dear Herbi ... any chance of an afternoon nap?

Think we’re all ready for the garden picnic ... the weather is brightening and the forecast is fair ... scones are out of the oven and bread is in ... other stuff is in fridges, but I have remembered to get a slab of Cornish butter out of the fridge to soften. OH has gone to work but will be home at 2pm ... hopefully there’ll still be a little left for him to eat ... otherwise there’s a bowl of courgette and basil soup in the fridge so he won’t starve :lol:

Have a lovely day all 8-)
Last edited by suffolk on August 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 18th, 2019, 11:17 am

good morning, all.
sunny and breezy.
some of the washing that got a bit of a shower yesterday has gone out again for an airing. the next/last lot of washing can go out in fifteen minutes.
i think my drastic measures on the tomato plants has worked. there is a good crop on the buffalo horn ones so we will have some to eat rather than, unlike last year, when the single tomato that grew got sacrificed for seed.
i hope all the 'picnickers' are enjoying themselves.
- and everyone else has a good day, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 18th, 2019, 8:29 pm

I hope it went well.

I am afraid my day did not. My mother...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2019, 8:21 am

Good morning all

Herbi :hug: I have a brother ... when Ma was beginning to lose it the sun shone out of every one of his orifices, whereas I ... :rolleyes: and my poor DS was mistaken for his father whom Ma loathed ... all sorts of stuff was said and done ... it’s certainly a time to develop a tough carapace if it’s not there already :hug:

The Artist and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I think ‘a good time was had by all’ 8-)

Now I have some washing to hang on the line, beans and courgettes to prep for the freezer, cauliflower cheese to make and a boiler engineer to wait for (between 12-6)

Have a good day everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 19th, 2019, 8:42 am

suffolk wrote:EM the one we bought will fit almost all loos and you can lift it right off for thorough cleaning ... it is anti-microbial (or something like that) and is also the perfect colour to cope with ‘tanned legs’ ... What is more it’s reduced at Homebase at the moment :tu:

Loved your new loo seat - a brilliant match to the toilet door (light oak) .. I may just have to replace mine now ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 19th, 2019, 12:15 pm

re mother: I think she has mild dementia, which helps explain her behaviour and might help me move towards thinking it's not just me being a terrible person. But husband doesn't agree, basing this on his experience of his grandmother, who had Alzheimer's.

Anyway. Was just about to go out for lunch, but it's started pissing it down. I got some of last year's homegrown roast passata our of the freezer last night, so need to cook with it tonight. Not sure what to do with it...

La Fromagerie sent me an email with a recipe for cacio e pepe, which I now rather want to make. They were also selling a £28 kit to make it??!!! Amongst other (posh versions of the) ingredients, they are suggesting you make it with Piacentinu Ennese. I may take them up on that aspect of it, but don't feel like going up to Lamb's Conduit St., right now, in sandals, in the rain.

I hope everyone's day is going well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » August 19th, 2019, 12:34 pm

good after morning, all.
sunny, some more washing on the line while it's sunny and breezy - might as well get the stuff that doesn't get done often enough done!
our son came for a cat cuddle, chat and cuppa, earlier and i've been doing last bits for when the upcountry young arrive tomorrow.
shopping will be done tomorrow morning - we are out of fruit (and veg) other than a large piel de sapo melon and an ageing lemon.
Herbidacious wrote:re mother: I think she has mild dementia, which helps explain her behaviour and might help me move towards thinking it's not just me being a terrible person. But husband doesn't agree, basing this on his experience of his grandmother, who had Alzheimer's.

herbi, vascular dementia doesn't have the same symptoms as alzheimer's. i think my mother probably had a bit of the former. she knew who i was but i wasn't the favourite by a long chalk. i was the on who got the blame for things even if i hadn't been there.

Herbidacious wrote: it's not just me being a terrible person. But husband doesn't agree,

don't you just love taking things out of context!
from what i can gather you're just like the rest of us which either means you're ok - or we're all terrible people - and i know i'm not so you must be ok.
have a glorious afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 19th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Although we loved each other, my mother and I had quite a strained relationship between my teens and late forties when she suffered from vascular dementia - mild first of all. I suddenly became the most amazing daughter on earth and everything I did was wonderful - she sang my praises to everyone who went near her. Quite embarrassing really as she was in a care home, I visited once a fortnight as it was a long way away and didn't need to do much as she was so well looked after. The staff must have got really sick of it! Vascular dementia takes all sorts of forms! I was lucky.

You can only do what you can do - make sure everything is alright and care good and needs met.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 19th, 2019, 4:50 pm

earthmaiden wrote:You can only do what you can do - make sure everything is alright and care good and needs met.

Absolutely EM. I agree Herbi- my father had vascular dementia and his symptoms were quite different to the mum of my deceased friend who also has a form of dementia. In fact, she sounds much more like your mum in the way she tends to react to things. One thing is certain- you are NOT a horrible person. :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 19th, 2019, 6:20 pm

I agree with the others ... vascular dementia is very different from
Alzheimer’s ... especially, in my experience, in the earlier phases; sometimes involving real personality change rather than the usual sort of confusion.

Very difficult to cope with ... but none of it is your fault ... you are not a horrible person ... if you were you wouldn’t care if you were, would you? :hug: Remember we’re here to offload to ... have a look at the Parents thread ... many of us have been there ...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9449&p=489757&hilit=Looking+after+our+parents#p489757
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 20th, 2019, 9:06 am

good morning, all.
sunny, warmer and the breeze has dropped.
a coffee is in hand.
i decided not to go to yoga this morning as i need to go shopping before the upcountry young arrive in the early afternoon. i think we'll be out for most of the meals but getting in fruit and stuff for breakfasts would be sensible.
better shift.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 20th, 2019, 9:13 am

Thank you. I should use the looking after parents thread. Most of my friends' parents are still in their 70s or early 80s so, apart from one, not going through this stuff yet. I do have a colleague at work though whose mother has quite severe dementia and is still at home (incontinent in all regards, but otherwise physically fit) with carers coming in. She is 102 (and looks about 70.) I have probably mentioned this before. She is dominating his and his partner's life in a not good way. I suppose I am lucky.

My mother was as nice as pie on the phone last night. Possibly felt guilty. Hmm. Or it's just easier to get on with me on the phone as I don't say much. (Hard to get a word in and no point in commenting on the complaints about her carers and friends...)
One more thing, then I will stop. I think her carers are nicking stuff. Petty pilfering, but not very nice.

When I went outside at lunch time yesterday the rain stopped and a bus drew up next to me so taking advantage of all this serendipity, I hopped on the bus a few stops to get to Lamb's Conduit st and spent and unseemly amount in La Fromagerie. So I shall make cacio e pepe tomorrow. Double bous for husband, as the cheese is in his book so he can tick it off ;) I also bought some very expensive raw butter from Bungay (mainly, sillily, because I have ancestors from there, although it also sounded, and is, very good.) I should make bread for it.

I am working from home today and hoping to catch up with some house hold chores. I was able to have an hour's lie in which has to be beneficial after not much sleep at the weekend. So I had better get on with it. Still working on arguments for the existence of God :D

I hope everyone has a good day, and thank you for your reassuring words. It's all too easy for relatives to gaslight me/undermine my sense of self, alas.

edit: I forgot to say, It's a lovely day here. Sun, gentle breeze. Fine drying outside weather.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 20th, 2019, 10:29 am

Good morning :D

It’s a lovely sunny breezy day :D

Herbi ... Ma knew who I was on the phone ‘cos I sounded like her daughter ... but when I visited she often hadn’t a Scooby who the middle aged woman talking to her was ... after all, her daughter was (in her memory) a young woman with young children ... then as the layers of her memory peeled away (like an onion) I became younger and younger until she could be calmed by the carers telling her I was ‘at school’, when she became anxious about ‘where the children are’. It’s sh*t but it’s not your fault.

We found that agreeing with her so that she was content really helped as anxiety seems to make things worse ... nodding and smiling through gritted teeth ... Once I even agreed that I was the family solicitor ‘cos I happened to be wearing something quite smart as I’d travelled to see her from a meeting.

Anyway ... we’re here :hug:

Catching up with stuff h ere as i’ll be out early tomorrow morning.

Have a good day all :D
Last edited by suffolk on August 20th, 2019, 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 20th, 2019, 11:31 am

Mum got very worried that I might get too old and miss the marriage market

I was only 60!

It doesn’t always make sense, and there’s nothing you can do about it except go with the flow as far as possible
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 20th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Reading your stories of parents with dementia and Alzheimer's reminded me of my late MIL. She spent the best part of 35 years complaining that I was the person who stopped her darling son going to the Slade Art School - my crime was to get pregnant at the age of 18 when we were both students. She never had a good word to say to me and would be positively bitchy whenever possible. Once when we were all going out for dinner she asked me whether we were getting dressed out to go out or not. I had just spent the past hour getting my glad rags on so said well I'm ready to go - she looked me up and down and then said - obviously not - and walked out :lol: :lol:
Later in life she had encephalitis and went into a coma - woke up a week later and I was suddenly the daughter in law of her dreams. From that day on she was the sweetest person imaginable to me and we were the best of friends until the day she died.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Amber » August 21st, 2019, 12:23 am

My mum had VD and AD. They can creep up on you very very slowly, until after many many years, months, weeks, and nights of self-doubt, tears, anger, etc etc, you realise that the person has changed (not you) and that there is nothing you can do about it. It’s horrible. Thank goodness I had my husband to help me cope. I’m not not sure I could’ve done it on my own. I was to blame for everything :o :( .
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 21st, 2019, 7:29 am

Morning.

Bright out and supposed to be nice and sunny today. Lots to do at work. Sainsbury's this evening for a quick one, I think.

Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop