good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » September 29th, 2019, 9:48 am

good morning, all.
wet and windy. the weather isn't much better either.
the young have all left for upcountry, boo hoo. it was only a fleeting visit but we had dinner together yesterday evening, which was lovely.
coffee has been drunk, the archers is being listened to and the only other thing on the agenda for today is the f1 - although if the weather permits i may go and check for windfalls and pick some pears (and some apples to store).
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 29th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Good afternoon
I walked down to Islington Farmers’ Market and had a look as I haven’t been for ages. Didn’t buy anything as I went to the local market yesterday but noted a few things for future reference. Then went into Waitrose for some bits

Missed all the rain apart from a very small shower, I’ve been lucky this weekend as yesterday I did a bit of tidying and herb plant stripping outside mainly in sun, and as soon as I came in a deluge finished the clean up for me
Need to clear up a bit now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 30th, 2019, 9:44 am

Morning. Quite bright and sunny here. Rain later, though. I hope it's not too bad at the weekend. I really need to do things in the garden - probably get rid of most of the vegetable plants.

Not much on today other than work. Phew!
Last edited by Herbidacious on September 30th, 2019, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 30th, 2019, 10:07 am

Good morning
We have some sun here too
It will enable me to get on with things as we have good daylight

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 30th, 2019, 11:05 am

Good noontime all :D
Two lines of washing out in the bright sunshine ... bread in the oven and a Cottage pie has been built and will go in the oven for supper later.
We’ve put Wednesday down for ‘garden sorting’ as the forecast is sunshine and OH will
Be at home to stop me doing the precarious (as far as my knee is concerned) jobs.
Enjoy the sunshine everyone ... if you have it. If not, please accept my sympathy ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 30th, 2019, 12:24 pm

good after morning, all.
raining - and has been since yesterday - i am envious of your sunshine.
i have just got back from the repair job on my tooth, de-greenflying my son's chilli plants, having a conversation with a friend, having a conversation with another friend (and builder) and i've just been handed a cup of coffee - with a straw.
i'm not going to do very much today. the vacuum is playing up (i suppose i could have borrowed our son's - but i didn't), the weather's too wet to do the washing - and anyway, i don't feel like doing anything hswk-y - i'm going to reinforce my slovenly credentials.
i may get the machine out and do some repairs and other bits.
have a cosy day, everyone, the rain may be heading upcountry.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 30th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Hope the repair settles quickly Scully ... I’d rather have a Dark & Stormy with a straw than drink coffee through one ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 1st, 2019, 8:21 am

Morning

Bright and sunny here. I am wondering if I might even dry some washing outside... having just put the rotary airer away for winter. I am working from home today, but things have been thrown up in the air a bit by friend's daughter asking if she can come and stay tomorrow for two nights (interview in Godalming very early on Thursday.) The house is not fit for guest consumption (this usually requires a weekend of dedicated cleaning and tidying :o ), although the fact that she is 21 somehow makes me think she might be less judgemental. (The opposite might, in fact, be true but I am riding with my assumption for sanity's sake. The alternative, of course, is to not care what she might think.) Thank goodness I cleared the guest room the week before last - it was barely possible to get into it before that. So I will have to fit some housework in between philosophy. I was going to fit some gardening in (get rid of courgette and some of the tomato plants), but, now... I will need to vacuum the spare room, the stairs, clean the bathroom and downstairs loo and tidy and wipe down kitchen surfaces. That's quite a lot... will also need to go out to get bathroom drain unblocker (I don't think vinegar and bicarb is going to cut it.) And I need to get a lot of work done.
Meanwhile in an initial vacuuming session I vacuumed up a key from my laptop :o :( I suppose at least it's not one I use. F12 I think. It messes with my OC tendencies though.
Lily is very happy I am home but determined to sit on my lap(top). I shall be firm.

I had better get going.

I hope everyone's day goes well!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 1st, 2019, 9:25 am

What a pain Herbi! Nothing like visitors to make you clean up :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 1st, 2019, 10:08 am

I know, but I really don't have time! I just tried the bicarb and vinegar down the drain and it seems to have made it worse! And it's now raining... I hope it stops, as I really don't want to walk to the shops in the rain.
I have some kitchen degunker. I guess that will work. I will need to find a plunger first though :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

If you can’t find the plunger a rubber gloves hand flat over the drain sometimes works

Drinking an extra coffee in the wetlands centre which is really living up to its name, we have had deluge for the last 20 minutes. Think it’s slacking off a bit. A class of kids (year 6?) have counted every cormorant at least 3 times while stuck under the awning

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2019, 10:59 am

Good morning all
Just done a quick W’rose post holiday store-cupboard type shop ... I’ll unpack when I’ve had this :mug: and assemble a hotpot then that’s today’s jobs done... I've already done all the post holiday ironing ... but given that I rarely get the iron out I don’t really deserve to feel so righteous :oops: :lol:
Herbi ... keep the lights down low ... then she wont notice the dust ;)
Have a good day folks
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 1st, 2019, 12:42 pm

It drained away on its own in the end, so I put kirchen stuff down. It didn't work! It's probably an overnight job. Will still have to go out...

However life has just been made much easier by being given permission to work form home tomorrow too. This way I can a) get lots of work done (going well so far) b) get some more housework done c) be at home to go and meet young lady at the station. She is coming down from Sheffield by coach, which is unlikely to arrive at a time that will enable me to come and meet her, and she seems very reluctant (is very nervous) about travelling across central London to pick a key up off me at work, so this should be simpler. A win x3.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 1st, 2019, 1:02 pm

good aftermorning, all.
i think the deluge is starting. it was sunny first thing but was deteriorating by the time i left for yoga.
been to coffee with a friend and listened to her disaster of a weeks holiday - maybe i should start calling her lemony snicket - it was definitely a series of unfortunate events.
if your guest is not paying for her bed and breakfast, herbi, she is in no place to judge! i bet her student flat was not spotless, tell her you're up to your eyeballs in work and haven't had time to waste on drudgery, and anyway, i would imagine she's too nervous to notice any undone hswk.
batches are being hattened down - although a sunbeam has just made its way through. we were going for a walk this afternoon but i think we'll ignore the scales for another day.
have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2019, 1:05 pm

We’ve just had a three hour downpour ... but the stair rods have stopped and there’s a glimpse of light in the sky ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

Good luck Herbi!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » October 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

the met office says we aren't having rain.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2019, 1:23 pm

My phone says you’re not getting any rain until
Thursday 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2019, 2:00 pm

We had brilliant sunshine - drizzle - biblical deluge - baking hot sun
All in the course of my 2 hour walk (it wasn't meant to take 2 hours but fortunately I was right by the café when the heavy rain started, see above)
Clouding again now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 1st, 2019, 2:00 pm

porky phone, porky met office!

(see that? keeping it food related!).
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 1st, 2019, 4:33 pm

StokeySue wrote:We had brilliant sunshine - drizzle - biblical deluge - baking hot sun

Same here but you forgot the thunder Sue :o …. and we are right in the middle of our second deluge of the day now. Luckily both times I have been at home, despite a hospital appointment (annual check up) this morning at Hillingdon then, then a bit of shopping in Uxbridge ,during which it was only the drizzly bit. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2019, 4:39 pm

We’ve only just had the thunder - from about 4 pm my Bluetooth started jumping due to atmospherics, and we got deluge #2 accompanied by thunder. Just had a good growl, sounded like it ways right overhead
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 1st, 2019, 4:47 pm

We have flooding. Our road is impassable which doesn't appear to stop people from trying! :rolleyes:

The rain has been so heavy it's come through the cat flap and down the flue of the cooker extractor fan.

Not 'appy.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 1st, 2019, 7:13 pm

Thanks, Sea.

I asked my guest if she would like breakfast and if so what. She replied, just toast and something to spread on it, or a croissant. Croissants are clearly no longer a treat, these days, or young people have much higher living standards?! Well I suppose the latter is almost a given. En suite rooms in halls of residence, brand new furniture when they move into digs... etc.

re caring about what guests think, I find it hard not to... But I am less worried than I would be if it were her mother coming!

We had a storm directly over head earlier. It made the windows rattle... and Lily run for her box. (A cardboard box turned upside down with a small hole cut near the floor for her to get through. Go-to place in fireworks season.) It's been raining heavily on and off all afternoon and evenig, but there was some sun. Pretty much as forecast, really.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 1st, 2019, 7:20 pm

Such varied weather! We had thunderstorms forecast all afternoon. I met GD from school in nice sunshine and all the children were able to play at the local recreation ground for ages on dry swings and slides. The deluge came after tea but didn't last long and there was no thunder or lightening. I think we were quite lucky actually!

They sell croissants in Lidl quite cheaply so perhaps they are commonplace now! Not fond of them except the almond ones. I'd much rather have toast and marmalade.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2019, 9:05 pm

I assume that the ubiquity of croissants is due to them being the only edible thing in most coffee shops that isn’t tooth rottingly sweet - you pick up your coffee, and your (sadly often fridge cold) croissant if you need breakfast

Yes, and supermarket multi packs - you can get really nice croissants in Morrison’s for about 30p each
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 2nd, 2019, 8:18 am

Hmm but I couldn't afford to buy things in cafes when I was a student. It maybe student debt sydrome that allows them to now. Might as well be hung for a croissant in a cafe as a piece of toast made at home etc.. These en suite rooms in halls of residence are expensive. 1986-7, I paid £50 a week for half board (full at the weekend) for a room in Hughes Parry Hall. They now charge a minimum of £280 in a tiny ensuite version of the place that's replaced it. (Inflation caluclator suggests that £50 then is worth about £145 now.) They don't even get a proper desk ;)

Anyway, I need to get on with some work. unfortunately I am going to have to go to the big supermarket before she comes. I don't really have time, but there's no way round it, I fear. I need to get something in for dinner in case she's starving and can't wait for OH to get home. Will take me at least an hour even if I get the bus to save time.

Also need to tidy and vacuum sitting room and try and clear the kitchen table. Will make up the bed much later, in case Basil wants to sleep on it. (Probably will. Fresh, clean bedding, dirty paws. Iresistably drawn together.)
It's lovely out. Today was going to be my day taking photos in my lunch hour in town. Ah well.

I hope eveyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2019, 8:54 am

Good morning
Not necessarily suggesting that students eat in cafės all the time, just that it is the Starbucks, Costa phenomenon has made the croissant commonplace. I never think of those junk coffee places as “cafės” though I suppose they are sort of. I bet there’s a takeaway coffee counter on campus that sells croissants.

When I was a student full London grant was £480 pa in 73 to 74 so £50 a week would have been way beyond us, but I did have one as an occasional Sunday treat

Sunny here, which is just as well as I woke up to see a lake covering the flat roof that covers the front of downstairs so I have already been out in pyjamas and welly boots to remove the drain cover which is coated with a sort of mat of mud. Will have to go out again to clean up, but I’ll get dressed first :D

Have
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 2nd, 2019, 9:50 am

Good morning all ... sunshine here but boggy underfoot. OH is being a garden hero while I go to tennis. Tomato tarte Tatin for supper

Hope all targets are met and everyone has a good day ....
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 2nd, 2019, 9:59 am

good morning, all.
dry and bright. the rain, yesterday, wasn't as bad as it seemed. we had a couple of heavy-ish showers but they didn't last that long.
i have some washing in the machine at the moment as we are predicted a dry day.
my first year's grant (in london, '77) was £1245. my rent was £16 pm (sharing) - in a very posh part, . our son's rent (a little north of where i was) would take up all of my first year's grant (plus bills) per month. barmy!
beginning of the month - two cats flea-ed, one wormed - the other will have a tablet dropped down her throat when she comes in.
better go and put the washing out while it's sunny.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 2nd, 2019, 11:36 am

I think you have a point about the student loan system Herbi. Whilst being a student is never easy, I have noticed that many seem to have more disposable income than in grant days. DD managed to get quite a decent grant but ran into difficulties in her first year. She is very conscientious and it upset her greatly. She has been very careful with money ever since so it was a good lesson. I think parents are more generous these days too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm

Sue, I had about £25 a week left over after my accommodation bill. I thought I was rich! I managed to not buy lunch while on half board, by sneaking out extra sliced of bread and supplementing it with slithers of cheese from Safeway. I also didn't have transport costs for the two years I was in halls, other than what it cost to go home to Sheffield once a term. From the end of my second year, when they turfed me out, I worked in a shop in London in the summer holidays and had a Saturday job thereafter in the same place. I think my grant was about £700 for the first 11 week term and following 10 week term, and much less for the shorter summer term.

According to the inflation calculator, in 1973 a 1986 £50 was worth £206.36, so I would think you would not be able to spend that much!

Scullion £16 a month! That's astonishing. That was £33 in 1986's money. I paid £135 a month for my first, very tiny room as a lodger in a very scruffy and outmoded house in Tufnell Park. The next (quite nice) place, shared with two friends in Shepherd's Bush, was £750 divided between three and using the reception room as a bedroom. I did get housing benefit though.

It was a lot easier in some ways when I was a student - I got social security in the long vacation of my first year, and housing benefit once I left halls of residence. I think they stopped the latter for students at the end of my last year, but I was still able to claim it to help pay for my £50 a week lodgings while I worked as a shop assistant at Virgin. In spite of this, I couldn't afford a land line and only afforded one holiday a year because my friend had a car and her father paid for the petrol (and we stayed in youth hostels.) A lot of things are a lot cheaper these days - food, books (perhaps even, academic ones), flights (even though they have gone up recently), clothes, free online resources and basically anything you can buy in Ikea or Primark. Mein Gott, I had some shitty second hand furniture and quite a few jumble sale items of clothing, and I never lived anywhere with a sitting room or washing machine while in London... But there were no mobile phones or the internet or even a tv licence when lodging. Transport was costly though and I could never afford to eat or drink out.

Right that's finished my warm up for the Four Yorkshiremen Sketch for the day. Back to metaphysics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1by0-nkKOTs

(This still makes me laugh :lol: Palin is the best, but then he is a Yorkshireman.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 3rd, 2019, 7:43 am

Morning. The household was up early. Young guest had to leave at 7.20 and husband went with her to walk her to the station. She didn't look very happy. V nervous. The interview is for a job working in a ski resort. You'd think it was for a big power job, given what they want of a candidate in terms of personality, skill and maturity. They will be having group exercises at the interview. I would absolutely hate that, but then I am the anti-team builder/consummate loner in my approach to things. But it all sounds like a game, the employers pretending the job is something it's not and the candidates pretending to be something they are not. But that's the way a lot of job applications are these days and have been for some time. Even the local arts festival interviews people before allowing them to help and requests a CV. Inflation of... something or other.

Cold and lots of dew this morning - I just went out to pick Inca Berries to take to work. (They taste very good, chilled :) )

I hope I can concentrate today. I am going to be doing Time, and editing my Indian folktale.

Have a good day, everyone!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 3rd, 2019, 9:57 am

Good morning all :D

A bright early start to the morning has clouded over and it’s not that warm out there ... it’s an indoor day ... I have a knitting project to sew up.

Best of luck to Herbi’s guest ... I hate job interviews.

I’m sorry, but as someone who has run and taken part in arts festivals large and small over the years, I must take issue with “Even the local arts festival ...”.
For a start, what’s with the ‘even’? Arts festivals contribute to the local economy, provide employment, education and leisure opportunities. And why shouldn’t the people working at them be properly qualified or at least knowledgeable and experienced in the subject as well as trained in the particular work they’re going to do ... even if it’s a relatively simple invigilation role, the health and safety of visitors is important, as is the ability to answer questions or signpost to where the information can be found.
Not getting at you :hug: just sticking up for arts administrators everywhere ... my MA was once referred to by someone as ‘only an Arts degree’ .... I was p’eed off ... and it still rankles :oops:

Have a lovely day folks.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 3rd, 2019, 10:28 am

What did your guest eat in the end Herbi?

I know what Suffs means and agree that for certain voluntary posts it is still necessary to have certain skills and attributes, I do agree that the gruelling interview for even voluntary or the most mundane jobs these days really puts me off, quite terrifying. There are several voluntary posts round here where they beg for people to help and then list the requirements they'd expect which seem to be a bit unrealistic. Interviews for my job at the workplace from which I have recently retired were horrendous, I'm glad I got the job when I did. It did (mostly) produce a high calibre of employee but I'm not sure they needed to be of that calibre! It must be so hard to get even a very mundane job these days.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 3rd, 2019, 11:26 am

There's a lot of organisations trying to get professional standards of service for volunteer pay rates

I know a few freelance writers, and they are bombarded by people wanting them to do "small" bits of writing for no money, and trying to make them feel mean for not supporting a good cause when they prioritise the stuff that pays the rent. A lot of it isn't even for anything that most of us would view as deserving of "charity"

I'm sure it happens across the board, It's different if someone actually volunteers themself to write a piece, do a drawing, or review the accounts, but to expect everything to be done free seems to be a problem

Contrariwise peopel get quite funny when people are paid some kind of compensation for doing hours of hard graft on something they expect to be voluntary, Running arts or sports events or the paid staff in charity shops for example.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 3rd, 2019, 12:50 pm

suffolk wrote:
I’m sorry, but as someone who has run and taken part in arts festivals large and small over the years, I must take issue with “Even the local arts festival ...”.
For a start, what’s with the ‘even’? Arts festivals contribute to the local economy, provide employment, education and leisure opportunities. And why shouldn’t the people working at them be properly qualified or at least knowledgeable and experienced in the subject as well as trained in the particular work they’re going to do ... even if it’s a relatively simple invigilation role, the health and safety of visitors is important, as is the ability to answer questions or signpost to where the information can be found.
Not getting at you :hug: just sticking up for arts administrators everywhere ... my MA was once referred to by someone as ‘only an Arts degree’ .... I was p’eed off ... and it still rankles :oops:

I think my objection is partly that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to volunteer your help, and partly the way they phrase it, like they are doing you a favour by bestowing upon you, if you are good enough, the honour of being involved. They are too much up their own ar**s, in other words. This a comment about them, not arts festivals in general. My remark would equally apply to a philosophy festival, although using that analogy, I can see that you would want to filter out people who wanted to talk about their approach to life as opposed to metaphysics. However that's a matter of relevant content, not help with stacking chairs and posting leaflets. Clearly you want to make sure someone can actually do such things but a less up its own ar** phrasing might have been, "Come and talk to us so we can see how you can help." Because surely anyone could contribute something? And they are doing the festival organizers a (big) favour, really, aren't they - giving their time and energy for nothing?

Thinking about it, I had to do an interview for Beanstalk when I restarted doing it again after a two year break. I was a little taken aback. "And what makes you think you would make a good Beanstalk volunteer..." Well I am not sure that I would, although that doesn't necessarily reflect my actual ability so much as my lack of confidence... ;) I didn't expect to have to 'play the game' in this context. The thing about Beanstalk is that they charge schools to send in volunteers. We are unpaid labour, so I suppose there is a bit of lopsided equation going on - the school pays for a service, so expects high quality. But the workers are doing it for free, so their motivation is not the usual other side of the labour coin (remuneration.)

It would be nice to be able to give of oneself without having to endure the cr*p one has to a) go through to get a paid job and b) endure at work once you have the job.

I get the feeling that some of these interviews are there because there is a market/high demand for volunteer jobs. Inflation of the currency of CV content. It's not enough to say you like reading and are a keen photographer any more. You need to have gone to Africa and worked with xyz for at least a month.
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 3rd, 2019, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 3rd, 2019, 12:52 pm

EM, I just did the pasta. Not the best I have had. Tesco... The cheesecake hit the spot though. Passionfruit and something.

We are trying to think where to take her out to dinner tonight.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 3rd, 2019, 1:28 pm

Crikey, I thought it was just one night!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm

The interview process was 3-4 hours, so she'll be tired I suppose. A v lngn day if a coach ride on top of that. She's off to Leeds tomorrow, not sure what for!
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 3rd, 2019, 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 3rd, 2019, 1:42 pm

I'm sure she's very grateful (as guests, wouldn't we all be even more grateful if we knew that under the casual exterior, our hosts had had to dash round like mad things to give the impression they always live the way they appear! I'm sure most of us live in immaculate houses with ready made spare beds and delicious food to hand in case anyone drops by of course :lol: :lol: ).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm

:) She has been no trouble and she is pleasant to chat to. Gosh I am tired though. I was awake at 1 and again at 6, and the night before, awake at 3. Roll on weekend. But in the meantime I need my brain to work :shock:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 3rd, 2019, 2:38 pm

good after morning, all.
wet with a bit of breeze. it was sunny early.
weeded and tidied the barren wasteland and planted some tulip bulbs while waiting for a tile delivery. i also got caught by a chatty neighbour (we have a specific phrase for that now!). if it had started raining earlier i wouldn't have had to stand for over an hour and a half with barely being able to squeeze a word in edgeways. the insulated cup of coffee i had with me was cold by the time i got to drink it. i didn't get time to plant all of the other bulbs before the weather closed in.
yesterday, i worked out a pattern and made myself an apron - one of those crossover backed ones that are very fashionable at the moment, from a wide piece of sturdy calico with enough for another one, too (no trendy linen unfortunately) - i didn't have an apron other than those used for clay and i decided i'd had enough of splashes down my front after cooking (i'm not really that messy - just a bit). i'm really pleased with the result and can sort of understand why some women used to wear aprons all day . unfortunately i don't wear the sort of clothes that need that level of protection very often - but at least i'm on trend with my 'pinny' (and my t-shirts may thank me).
i left the machine out to do repairs. not quite so interesting.

i dash round doing hswk, too - i try to give the impression that i haven't bothered doing anything - i like to give guests the opportunity to be self righteous at my expense. if they'd seen what the place had been like before their visit they possibly wouldn't feel quite so smug - but then they probably wouldn't want to stay, either (i may - or may not - be exaggerating!).
have a cosy evening, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » October 4th, 2019, 9:06 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment although the met says it's most likely raining.
i was lead to a website called blightwatch yesterday. looking back through the calendar on there it indicates that we should only grow earlies and find somewhere sunny and quite dry if we want any tomatoes not to end up with blight- not so easy, that one.
after the miserable weather closed in yesterday we decided to watch a film, in the late afternoon (only happens a few times a year). we are wondering why 'the seventh seal' is a five star film. i've never seen more than the first few minutes in the past. i've read the bumph about it and i know it's allegorical etc but i wouldn't say it's a five star by any stretch of the imagination - maybe i'm missing something. it did make the rest of the day seem brighter so maybe that was why!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2019, 9:31 am

A bit dark here.

The weekend is coming. Hurray! This has been a tough week. The weather doesn't look great for garden 'housework' this weekend, though. (which was what was on the agenda.)

Do you mean late blight? I have usually given up by the time this arrives, if it does. (Not sure if I have had it or not.)

Talking of giving up/losing interest, I need to see if I have any sweet potatoes. I susepct not. Might just leave the plants where they are (big 'bag') for next year...

I bought some potatoes a few weeks ago that claimed they would be ready for Christmas. I should put them in...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 5th, 2019, 2:11 pm

good after morning, all.
wet cat at about seven but has been dry since.
been for a coffee and cake at the blue bar with a friend, this morning, then home and soup, and watched the last twenty minutes of the women's football. i am confused - the whistle didn't keep getting blown and the women didn't stay rolling around on the ground when they were tackled - they just got up and carried on playing - what's that all about‽‽‽
nothing planned for the rest of the afternoon and evening. a may ignore the piling hswk and read my book.
have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 6th, 2019, 8:10 am

Morning. Lots of rain throughout the night but brightish right now. Lots of grey, fast moving cloud, though. If I were a virtuous person, I would nip out and plant two plants I should have put out weeks and weeks ago, but I am not (and it's not as easy a proposition as it sounds.)

Nothing planned today (as planned...) but need to go to the supermarket. Not much cat food left. Might bulk buy it in case of issues resulting from the unspeakable at the end of the month. In which case, really need to go to the pet supermarket.

Might see if I can find an auger to facilitate plant planting out too. Maybe a bit of writing as well.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2019, 8:37 am

Good morning
We seem to have had weather front #1 through overnight, that’s probably what woke me at 3 am. Awaiting #2 later though it’s currently cloudy but bright

Mainly indoor stuff today due to weather and to having ended up doing more walking yesterday than I expected. Also have stuff to do, mainly dull, will need podcasts and audiobooks to get me through it.

Need to think about replanting my pots for winter this week, if I get the indoor stuff done I can do that on a nice day

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 8:43 am

Good morning all :D
Lots of rain here too ... I shall drive OH to work otherwise he’ll have to get togged up in ‘oilskins’ to avoid spending the day with wet legs
He’s taking some of the Blackberry & Apple Cake I made yesterday to share with his colleagues
One of them had promised him a Lorne Sausage sandwich for his breakfast :chops:

Herbi ... there’s a lot of discussion on the GW forum about the benefits of using a planting knife (Hori Hori) when planting in difficult areas with a lot of roots ... I may well be ordering one to help with planting on the Shady Bank.

Apart from being OHs taxi today, I may well hibernate :lol:

Keep dry everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

good morning, all.
sunny. the forecast is for sun with a couple of slightly cloudy but bright patches for the rest of the day.
there is bread baking in the garden.
i have garlic to plant and a meeting to go to. s-d the hswk.
i have been told, by the checkout ladies, that sunday is the worst day for supermarket shopping. i now avoid it like the plague.
coffee in hand and omnibus on the radio.
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop