good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » October 15th, 2019, 8:05 am

good morning, all.
overcast and wet at the moment but we are predicted a couple of hours of full sun, later. my partner is preparing bread dough.
yoga, maybe coffee with a friend if i make it quick, moving chilli plants and chat with builder*, home to change, blood donors, *maybe here if i didn't get time earlier and the builder's still there, home.
better get my coffee drunk quick or i'll be late to the first on the list.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 15th, 2019, 9:29 am

Herbi - thank you. PM sent

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 15th, 2019, 11:29 am

suffolk wrote:Herbi ... there’s a lot of discussion on the GW forum about the benefits of using a planting knife (Hori Hori) when planting in difficult areas with a lot of roots ... I may well be ordering one to help with planting on the Shady Bank.

Was just wondering, did you get one in the end, Suffs?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2019, 11:37 am

Not so far ... ‘life’ has got in the way ... I may put one on a list and send it up the chimney ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 15th, 2019, 11:44 am

I was thinking about treating myself, but not sure which one to get.

maybe this

https://www.primrose.co.uk/traditional- ... 11763.html
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 16th, 2019, 9:31 am

good morning, all.
the rain is passing and the sun is on its way.
i think it's time to get some washing done - and my partner will be baking cake.
this year, i have managed to get most of the chestnuts before the squirrel did. we have two kilos in the freezer and one in the bottom of the fridge. the squirrel was lucky if it got half a kilo - it has had all but a handful of them in the past.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2019, 9:33 am

Dull and damp here.

How lovely to have a chestnut tree! Or any nut tree... And even lovelier for the squirrels. (They like cape gooseberries too.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

Good morning all

Just listening to Popmaster then heading for tennis

Supper will be Nigel Slater’s sausage, black pudding and parsnip bake ... I’ve got the ingredients so I’ll sort that out when I get back.

Damp and dreary here too.

Keep snug everyone
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 16th, 2019, 10:30 am

Herbidacious wrote:How lovely to have a chestnut tree! Or any nut tree... And even lovelier for the squirrels.

we planted three of them about fifteen to twenty years ago and they started giving us nuts five or more years ago (they have been shaded by some big, old sycamores). they produced empty burrs before then - but maybe we just didn't see the good ones!
the squirrels won't be getting too many in the future - they may regret their past greed.

talking of nuts, i was picking up beech nuts in truro after i'd been to the donors and was asked by a very elderly woman if i was foraging. she said the only thing she foraged was blackberries and she wouldn't recognise a beech tree - she only knew what oaks looked like. so i gave her a beech nut to try. fancy getting to that age without tasting beech nuts (- or only foraging blackberries)!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2019, 11:53 am

Not sure I've had one. I don't remember there being any round where I grew up.

Generally, I am not confident enough to forage for many things. Fungi: for most ones that are good to eat, there are similar ones that are not.

Growing up, it was just bilberries and blackberries. Could have picked wild garlic, but this was never countenanced as a possibility. My mother wouldn't have known what to do with it...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 16th, 2019, 1:04 pm

As children we ate beech nuts but I don't remember them being used for anything or being very nice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 16th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Not many beechnuts around when we were children ... wrong sort of soil. Our woodlands were oak elm and ash.
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 16th, 2019, 7:23 pm

I didn't know that beechnuts were edible, no-one told me.

The squirrels make a very efficient job of stealing the hazelnuts.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 17th, 2019, 9:17 am

Bright and sunny here, and quite hot, sitting on the settee with the sunlight streaming throught he French windows. I am off sick - fluey cold with a stomach upset and a very cloudy brain.

The cats are happy, at least!

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 9:51 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment.
there was a really productive (and big nuts) beech tree on one of the ways i walked to school. in the season i would collect a bagful every day - cheaper than sweets. if you leave the inside brown husk on the nut they are a little astringent and not so nice but if you remove that they are lovely, creamy and nutty.

suffolk wrote:Not many beechnuts around when we were children ... wrong sort of soil. Our woodlands were oak elm and ash.

maybe no-one had planted any or they just hadn't spread there (or they'd been harvested for their wood in the past).
we had those broadleaves, too, along with loads of other varieties (planted and gazetted by road) in town.
the chalk went through flitwick and also parts of suffolk so pretty similar bedrock to ours - but then the bedrock is very different down here and they still grow so i think, like the other native broadleaves, they are pretty tolerant of soil types.

we are out to the cinema to watch the 'live' broadcast of 'a midsummer night's dream'. i think it's one of my favourite plays - we've already seen a couple of versions this year.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 17th, 2019, 9:59 am

Good morning all ...

Scully, we were in High Suffolk (heavy clay) by the time I was five years old ... I recognised how far we'd travelled on the route to visit Granny near Woburn by the appearance of beech trees in the countryside as we headed westwards.

Remember me procrastinating the other day about cleaning the bedroom ... I've done it :D :mug:

We have a UFO from the freezer for supper so I can get on with 'my stuff' today.

Enjoy your day folks
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 10:26 am

we had heavy clay soil, too. it overlays the chalk. - makes good mud pies.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2019, 8:24 am

Morning. Lovely an sunny right now again. The dahlias are still going surprisingly strong although the new flower heads are smaller. (I can see them from where I am sitting.) One of the three plants never flowered though. Maybe next year.
There are still some tomatoes out there too. Hopefully I will be up to doing a bit of harvesting and discarding tomorrow.

Still off work. I am a lot better today, but then yesterday was terrible. Extreme muscle ache, fainting, nausea and other nasty gastric things. The head cold aspect paled to insignificance. Still, I think on the mend.

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2019, 9:05 am

Good morning all

Hope you’re feeling better soon Herbi ... there seems to be a lot of it about (see my several posts on Cbox this morning!) Glad you have dahlias to brighten your day. :D

As my U3A meeting has been cancelled I shall have to find something else to do ... I expect I’ll manage 8-)

Have a good day all ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2019, 9:14 am

Luckily I manged to avoid the V bit of D&V, but it was touch and go. I have just eaten my first food since Wendesday. A slice of bread and jam. Probably not the most sensible thing to break fast with, but it was very nice.

Not the (usual) D&V thing, as cold symptoms were included in the lovely package.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 18th, 2019, 9:15 am

Good morning
Get better soon Herbi

We have sun at the moment. I need to wake up, tidy up, and go out to play league backgammon on Southbank. Still feel quite sleepy though

We had a lot of rain overnight though, I emptied the “dry” gravel tray on my way in at about 5 pm yesterday, and it is full again. I don’t think my sage is enjoying enforced amphibianism

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2019, 10:00 am

good morning, all.
intermittent downpours with a little rumble of thunder earlier. there was enough sun yesterday for my partner to bake some russets.
the 'live' broadcast last night was brilliant. i think it may be the best version i've seen. if you are near 'the bridge theatre' or see it come up as an encore at the cinema i would suggest you go to see it. it was real laugh out loud funny.
if the rain holds off for a while in the early afternoon we intend to go for a walk on the beach. we haven't been down for a walk for ages.
nothing planned apart from a trip to the station after midnight.
coffee almost finished.
have a cosy day, everyone.

ps. i harvested and stored the rest of our apples and pears, yesterday, too. that does the badger out of his pudding.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Just heard that my friend passed away peacefully last night. His quality of life wouldn’t have been good had he survived. He’d have hated it. He was irascible enough when he had gout. :rolleyes: His legacy is remarkable ... he’ll be sorely missed.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 18th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Condolences Suffs but it sounds like a good result. And gout is an absolutely bugger.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Thanks PP
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » October 18th, 2019, 3:01 pm

So sorry to hear this Suffs, I am glad he passed peacefully. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Sorry to hear that Suffs.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 18th, 2019, 3:14 pm

So sorry Suffs.... It does sound like the best thing but that won't change how much you'll miss him I'm sure... :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2019, 3:37 pm

He used to pinch me on the school bus until his sisters stopped him. He founded a national festival of music, philosophy and the arts that is still going strong. He was founder/director of a theatre company staging Shakespeare in the open air every summer for around twenty years. He had the idea of, raised the funding for, did a lot of the building work for and brought to fruition The Cut Arts Centre in Halesworth. He was a builder, tv and film actor and the front man for The Fat Band ... much loved across East Anglia, a loved and loving partner, father, grandfather, uncle and very good friend ... He really will be missed.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 18th, 2019, 6:00 pm

So sorry Suffs. Lots of happy memories are the best legacy. :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 18th, 2019, 7:33 pm

suffolk wrote:He used to pinch me on the school bus until his sisters stopped him. He founded a national festival of music, philosophy and the arts that is still going strong. He was founder/director of a theatre company staging Shakespeare in the open air every summer for around twenty years. He had the idea of, raised the funding for, did a lot of the building work for and brought to fruition The Cut Arts Centre in Halesworth. He was a builder, tv and film actor and the front man for The Fat Band ... much loved across East Anglia, a loved and loving partner, father, grandfather, uncle and very good friend ... He really will be missed.

He sounds such an interesting character Suffs. So sorry for your loss.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » October 19th, 2019, 9:23 am

good morning, all.
sunny patches.
it was raining rather a lot for a walk, yesterday, so we are aiming to go today and, as our son is down for a couple of days, again tomorrow (as a walk on the beach isn't quite the same in the smoke).
he is probably searching his house for his comfy jogging bottoms, for lying around and playing games with his mates but he will be searching in vain as i have mended them and they are here. maybe i should let him know.
my condolences to your friend's family, suffolk. we are getting to an age when we are getting closer to the cliff edge, aren't we‽‽‽
on that happy note...
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 19th, 2019, 10:13 am

suffolk wrote:He used to pinch me on the school bus until his sisters stopped him.

:D :luv: :luv:

Of such things are happy memories made....
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2019, 10:32 am

Good morning all

The sun is shining and I have sown the broad beans ... they are covered with wire netting to keep any marauding cats off until the beans have made some growth. The cats don’t often venture here as our fences are high and they don’t like feeling trapped ... but you can get that if there’s a nice friable seedbed available they’ll use it. :rolleyes: We like cats ... but not on the veg patch.

Thanks everyone :hug:

Have a good day all :D ... whatever that lot in Westminster do ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 19th, 2019, 12:58 pm

just as an afterthought - i think i came up with a new word, on thursday evening, after listening to the news.

SUGGISTICS = using correct statistics/data for a subject for which they were not intended or to give a slanted view.
eg - saying x number of people in the country didn't vote to remain ( rather than saying x number voted to leave/remain and x number abstained/didn't vote).
is there another single word for it?

a sort of spin, i suppose, but more specific.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2019, 1:12 pm

I call it a manipulative sleight of hand ... aka ‘lying’.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 19th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I suppose suggistics is almost a spin on the term 'lying'?! Either way, great word, Scullion.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 19th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I suppose suggistics is almost a spin on the word 'lying'?! Either way, great word, Scullion.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 19th, 2019, 3:14 pm

good afternoon
sorry to hear about you old chum Suffolk

It was lovely and sunny here this morning so I wet on a local "Walk of Interest" -a group of us, with guide, we looked at the social enterprises of Dalston, ending at the Farmer's Market
Then I walked back home via the "fun day" (a small fete with some music) in the cemetery park
It started raining not long after I got in

Shattered now, it has been a busy week
Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 20th, 2019, 8:20 am

Morning. Bright but there was a lot of mist earlier. I am going to brave going out and chucking some tomato plants when I have finished my coffee (very nearly). Then hope to have a lunch out... Feeling much better but still very weary. I was also thinking of making a not-beef vegetable casserole with either beer or wine, and horseradish and herb dumplings. (Idea from a magazine.) But we shall see how things go. May depend on how substantial lunch is.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 20th, 2019, 9:49 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
we are heading off to the beach in an hour for catch up and late lunch due to young things having brunch already.
coffee and archers.
have a good sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2019, 9:59 am

Good morning all

Coffee and Archers here too. OH has gone to work and supper has been prepped. The only ‘must do’ left is a letter of condolence to catch the post tomorrow ...

Looks like a lovely morning for the beach Scully ... enjoy 8-)

Have a good day all.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2019, 10:39 am

Good morning
Clouding and cooling here now
Really tired and having a pottering day, might have overdone it by going on the walk yesterday, but I really wanted to go on that one, it was a lovely day, and I really wanted to dodge the news coverage of Parliament!
Watching the great South Run on TV in the hope of recognising my favourite bits of Southsea

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 7:22 am

Morning. Dark, wet, quite cold and not very mood enhancing...!

Managed to do about three hours in the garden yesterday, but I think rather paid for it in the form of insomnia inducing shoulder pain. Ah well. I binned 24 tomato plants, two bag for life bags of sweetcorn, and quite a few others. Pots tidied away, water tanks propped against shed pending decision about proper place to put them. I still have the aubergine and pepper plants to chuck, plus the sweet peas, but run out of room. Compost bins and brown council bin full. I picked 8 peppers - red and green - and harvested a large bowl of tomatoes. Decided not to bother with the green ones. I think the Summerlast would have continued to ripen in situ had I left them to it.

The rain has just started coming down really hard.

Happy Monday everyone!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 7:24 am

Morning. Dark, wet, quite cold and not very mood enhancing...!

Managed to do about three hours in the garden yesterday, but I think rather paid for it in the form of insomnia inducing shoulder pain. Ah well. I binned 24 tomato plants, two bag for life bags of sweetcorn, and quite a few others. Pots tidied away, water tanks propped against shed pending decision about proper place to put them. I still have the aubergine and pepper plants to chuck, plus the sweet peas, but run out of room. Compost bins and brown council bin full. I picked 8 peppers - red and green - and harvested a large bowl of tomatoes. Decided not to bother with the green ones. I think the Summerlast would have continued to ripen in situ had I left them to it.

Expecting Hori Hori to be at work today, plus I ordered a hole maker for geriatrics :) (It's really a giant, glorified apple corer.)

The rain has just started coming down really hard.

Happy Monday everyone!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 21st, 2019, 7:47 am

Good morning
Actually it’s raining and dark so not that good really
Need to do some stuff indoors then assuming rain slacks off need to go and run local errands then a little walk to play backgammon

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 21st, 2019, 8:41 am

Good morning all

It seems I’ve pinged a nerve in my lower back, probably gardening on Saturday :rolleyes: but at least the beans are in ... the back will ease in a few days.

A trip to buy paint has been requested for this morning ... then there’s bread to make and a bit of light faffing with the vac and duster. Supper is the second half of the Feta & Chard pie I made the other day so that will just need heating through.

Have a good Monday folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 21st, 2019, 9:47 am

good morning, all.
sunny now with some cloud and more full sun later. i think my partner is going to cook cake.
the chickpeas cooked, out there, yesterday went in the greek gigantes dish in place of the gigantes, that we had last night (and some for today).
commiserations on the back, i keep doing that, annoying isn't it? especially when it takes a few days of not being able to turn over in bed easily or getting into a comfortable position.
as the tide was wrong yesterday we had a walk over the cliffs to chapel (without dropping down for a hedgehog) then back for a late lunch at the blue bar.
only some washing planned for today although a bit of shopping is looming - maybe i can avoid that for today and do it tomorrow when the car is warmed up already.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 22nd, 2019, 7:21 am

repeated post so I deleted it!
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 22nd, 2019, 7:21 am

The sky is a mask of white and there is a lot of mist in the field beyond the garden.
Perhaps not as cold today as yesterday. Or perhaps it wasn't cold yeterday, but it was in the office. The room I sit in is the middle part of a long thing strip that's sandwiched between a very narrow road and another office with a 7 or 8 foot gap between us and that office. For some reason our room is always colder. It hits you when you go from one of the other rooms to ours. It's always worst on Mondays. Perhaps it's haunted. The ghosts of frustrated editors. (Although there haven't been editors in it for that long.)

I have a lot (of philosophy writing) to do today, but am very tired. On the up side, I am going out to lunch wiht my friend at work. Not decided where yet. Somewhere nice, probably, I hope... She's dieting and I need to. Tried on dress for wedding in Norwich last night and it's tighter than I would like it to be if I am wearing it. I have a month.

I hope everyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop