good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » October 22nd, 2019, 7:54 am

good morning, all.
brightening with a promise of full sun for most of the day.
a load of washing to go on now for my partner to put out when it's done, yoga and maybe a bit of shopping.
nothing amazingly interesting on.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 22nd, 2019, 8:20 am

Good morning
We have sun now, set fair for the day so will be out and about as much as possible, though I have a few things to do indoors
Want to take a few things to be repaired
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am

Good morning all :D

Wedding in Norwich Herbi? :bounce: Whereabouts? PM me if you like ... and I promise I won’t stalk the wedding :lol:

A batch of yoghurt in the machine and Scotch Broth chuntering in the Crockpot ... washing draped and more pears picked ...

Back is still grrrrr! so a ‘careful’ day today as we have an outing planned for tomorrow.

Have a good day all
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 22nd, 2019, 1:53 pm

Some wedding suite thingy in the centre. I am primarily looking forward to a bit of sightseeing/graveyard (for ancestors) visiting afterwards! (Poor husband.)

I have a few options re what to wear:
a) loose quite a bit of weight so the dress I was going to wear fits better... but not sure I want to wear it any more.
b) loose a little weight and/or wear shapewear to make me look better in alternative dresses :? (All of which I looked like a middle aged dumpling in last night.)
c) buy something that I look nice in now.
Last option feels appealing, although I do need to lose some weight, and it may not be as easy as it sounds.
there is also
d) wear something not very posh (Boden jersey black and white spotty dress?) but smarten up by wearing matching shoes, necklace etc.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2019, 3:22 pm

Get something new that you like ... you’ll enjoy the day much better.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 22nd, 2019, 3:37 pm

suffolk wrote:Get something new that you like ... you’ll enjoy the day much better.

Absolutely agree with Suffs, there is nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable at an event and weddings can end up being long drawn out affairs.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 22nd, 2019, 3:54 pm

Yes, that's my thinking. Comfortable and confident, ideally. It's just a question of finding something. I haven't been clothes shopping for years. ( I do it online.) Or, I wear my Boden jersey dress at the risk of being underdressed. People often seem to dress more casually these days though. The bride and groom are in their 40s, I think. (If that's relevant...)

Blimey, I hope it's not long and drawn out. Not easy to endure sans alcohol.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2019, 4:00 pm

It’s the sort of venue where you could absent yourself for a little while ... go for a short stroll (lots of architecture and interesting shops etc on the doorstep) and reappear again as if you’d just been ‘to freshen up’ ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 22nd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Or go to bed?! :)

I won't know anyone there apart from husband. It's an ex colleague of his from way back.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 22nd, 2019, 8:52 pm

I hate weddings.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 23rd, 2019, 9:33 am

I am not keen. I find socializing, particularly with people I don't know, exhausting, and this is potentially it on a large scale. Although actually often not. You just end up talking to the person next to you at the dinner table (if they are cruel, they separate you from your partner) until you embarrassingly, excruciatingly, run out of conversation.

About three years ago I said we probably wouldn't have to go to one again, except, perhaps, for godson and/or twin sister, I suppose very far down the line, possibly nephew in law. This is wedding no.3 since then. I had not factored in second marriages, although two of these have been first marriages in later life. I am not ungrateful for being invited, though.

Anyway, white cloud again today, but some brightness. I am working from home.

Wondering if I could make something with my quite large crop of Inca Berries. There aren't very many recipes on line as I suppose they are too expensive to use as a main ingredient unless you have grown them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am

Good morning
I had to look up Inca Berry - they are the same as Cape gooseberry it seems, physalis. I’ve only come across them as a garnish really, and don’t much like them, but I suppose they would make a compote similar to gooseberry?

The cloud is getting more dense, think the weather will get wet again

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 23rd, 2019, 10:14 am

good morning, all,
sunny.
bread is in the cooker. he cooked cake, yesterday. the recipe was for a vegan chocolate cake from the 'bish bash bosh' cookbook - although he used carob instead of cocoa powder. it was good. the carob makes it taste like a sort of chocolate cake that has a tiny hint of ginger in. interesting and nice.
i still need to do some shopping - but maybe i'll go tomorrow - we can eat cake today.
weddings come in generational waves and at least they are happy events, we have got to the age when funerals are beginning to become more frequent.
i have sorted out a warm weather outfit and a cold weather outfit for those (neither is black), both are unobtrusive and comfortable but reasonably smart (the summer version i wore to a wedding, too).
i'm a believer in the fact that it's ok to wear the same thing to multiple weddings etc. after reading 'the girls of slender means', years ago, i thought that if one dress could be worn, by a number of girls, to every posh do they were invited to , then so could i.
men wear the same suit to such things, usually, so why should women have to wear different things‽
and anyway, it's the wearer that's invited not the clothes.
you can tell i'm a slob, can't you‽
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 23rd, 2019, 10:28 am

StokeySue wrote:Good morning
I had to look up Inca Berry - they are the same as Cape gooseberry it seems, physalis. I’ve only come across them as a garnish really, and don’t much like them, but I suppose they would make a compote similar to gooseberry?

Sue, the home grown/freshly picked when ripe ones, imo, taste a lot better than bought ones. Bursting with flavour. Sweet but slightly acidic, and not really tasting like anything else. Only down side for me is the seeds, but they are no seedier (less) than raspberries.

Yes, compote was something I had thought of.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 23rd, 2019, 11:41 am

I am horrified by the expectation nowadays that one will pay through the nose for gifts and attire to attend a wedding (not to mention lavish hen weekends!). They can all take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. What on earth was wrong with ordinary presents, people in their best clothes, decorations made at home and a lot of love from family and friends? <grumpyoldwomansmilie>

I adore Cape gooseberries and am very envious! If there really are too many to eat (is that possible?) then you could probably freeze compote.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 23rd, 2019, 11:56 am

That's a good idea, EM. (Although freezer is jam packed with roast tomato passata... :? )

I suppose I could try making a pie too. (Although supposed to be dieting for wedding... ;) )

Bridge and groom have asked for no gifts but suggested people make a donation to Macmillan, as both have lost very close family to cancer.

The last wedding but one requested cash to go towards their honeymoon! They provided a post box for one to put the envelopes into. These were two well-heeled people in their 50s :shock:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2019, 12:52 pm

I think there’s always been an expectation that people will spend quite a lot on wedding outfits. I remember a newspaper years ago suggesting that the student member of a family purchase a “ budget” outfit that came in at about 75% of the full annual student grant

Personally around then I went to 3 weddings in the same Jeff Banks 2 piece, bought in a sale, and got compliments Loved his stuff
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 23rd, 2019, 4:20 pm

Yet the likes of Dorothy Perkins sell wedding guest dresses. Perhaps things have changed a bit, she says hopefully.
That said, I don't think I would/have ever spent more than £150 on a non-coat clothing (possibly excluding footware) anyway. If I did, I'd be too afraid to wear such a garment other than at weddings, and, as I am proving, I can't guarantee that I will fit into the same item from one wedding to the next (Certainly not when years separate them. Although it's only two years since the last two - which were in the same week... straddling my 50th birthday :( ) Actually my own wedding dress only cost me £85 in the Monsoon sale back in 2001 (although I kind of wish I'd got something nicer. It wasn't a dedicated wedding dress. More eveningwear. Pale grey, strappy, crumpled silk. A bit too ball gowny really.) The Boden dress I was going to wear/might wear is actually an eBay purchase.
I certainly don't do hats.
I imagine as this is an older couple with a baby, and more life experience, they are not going to care so much about it being the perfect in every way day (including visually - has to be Instaperfect these days too...) that younger people are pushed into desiring. What their other guests think is another matter, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2019, 8:51 am

Morning. Dark and white cloud today. Some mist earlier.
Working from home again. Going to tackle personal identity.
Husband has decided to go to France tomorrow evening - drive through till the early hours and come back Sunday. I am not participating in this madness (The coming weekends are far too full. I will be at his mother's next weekend - she is having hip replacement op today, then there's a trip to my mother's after that, and then the wedding. Plus it doesn't really sound like that much fun to me.)
But I will be writing a shopping list for him :) Now what to ask for...

Today I need to work hard again, and not be distracted by things that need doing around the house. I am looking forward to trying out the hori hori at the weekend. I also bought a hole maker for approximately the same purpose - to try to cultivate the impenetrable front garden (but also useful for planting the many bulbs I have to plant) - which arrived earlier in the week. I was sceptical, but it's marvellous.
https://proplugger.com/product/proplugg ... ting-tool/
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2019, 9:10 am

Good morning
It’s drizzling here in defiance of the forecast which says no rain until later. With luck they got that bit wrong too and it will improve

Indoor things to be getting on with, nothing exciting but it all needs to be done

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 24th, 2019, 9:16 am

good morning, all.
cloudy with sunny bits.

haha, that looks like a springless pogo stick!

i still need to go shopping. the problem is, i can work out some meals for the next couple of days which means i could avoid shopping until sunday - which is the busiest day for doing it. maybe i could convince my partner to swap his fast day then go on monday instead! do you get the feeling i'm not that fond of shopping‽
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

Good morning all :D
I much prefer summer weddings (preferably rural) ... crumpled linen, a straw sunhat with a flamboyant ribbon and comfy sandals are fine for the ‘mildly eccentric arty aunt’ role I’ve made for myself. They know that’s what I’ll wear ... if that’s not to their taste they needn’t invite me :tu:

Shopping’s not my favourite pastime either ... nor OH’s
... but he’s said he’ll come with me tomorrow to pick up a couple of cases of sterilised semi skimmed .... doesn’t want me straining my dodgy shoulder ... we’re getting through our homemade yoghurt at a rate of knots.

It’s slightly foggy and very grey here ... feels like November :rolleyes:

Have a good day everyone
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2019, 11:17 am

scullion wrote:haha, that looks like a springless pogo stick!.

That's exactly what I said to my colleagues when I unwrapped it :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2019, 11:18 am

It's pissing it down here now! (If you'll excuse the vulgarity.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 24th, 2019, 11:32 am

Here too …. I have several plants that need seeing to now that I have made another bed in my front garden … the theme is maroon (plum ?)/dark red. I was hoping to do some of them when I get home later today … looks like another wash-out :rolleyes: Still you know what they say : No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. I recently bought a new pair of wellies so I really don't have much excuse ;) 8-)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2019, 12:18 pm

We had a bit of thunder too... not sure if that's travelling up your way or not. Glad I am not commuting today. If the weather forecast is corrrect, it will rain tomorrow, but rather conveniently, while I am in the office. Probably jinxed it now...

One can't garden in the rain in glasses easily, though, so sometimes there is bad weather... :)

It's so damned dark :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 24th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Sunny here.... :D

(Still, to be fair to us, we don't get much of it up here in Cumbria ;) )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 24th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Herbidacious wrote:One can't garden in the rain in glasses easily, though, so sometimes there is bad weather...

I found exercise of any description in glasses was most inconvenient. That is why I first went into wearing contact lenses, and when I couldn't get on with them, had radial keratotomy ( which pre-dated laser treatment :aww: )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2019, 1:34 pm

There are many inconveniences of wearing glasses, I used to find. Cycling in the rain, walking into a warm room in winter, having eyelashes that brush against them, wanting to use binoculars, having nightmares about them breaking... them breaking... :D

I am wearing mine today. Not sure why. Ah, probably because I am at home and my lastest lens prescription is pants. Just can't get it right. (They are trying the monocular vision method of dealing with my increasing issues with near vision - in additon to a -10 prescription for long vision.)

That's very brave of you to have had surgery, Pat. I wouldn't dare, although I think maybe my eyesight is too bad for it anyway.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 24th, 2019, 3:19 pm

As a glasses wearer binoculars are the bane of my life. I wear contacts for posh stuff which doesn’t happen very often. Find them a bit of a fiddle. Keep meaning to investigate the varifocal ones but the cost is a bit prohibitive.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I tried a varifocal contact lens, but it was too uncomfortable.
re varifocal glasses I gather they can be very hard to adapt to.
I guess in the end I will have to have contacts and reading glasses.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I hate to say it - but in my experience most (obviously not all) people who don't get on with varifocals don't give them a decent chance.

You have to wear them for about 3 weeks continuously, no cheating and going back to other lenses "for a rest", it takes 3 weeks to convince your brain that varifocals are normal

Once you've got it, they are fine. Before the last batch of issues I wore very varied varifocals, and they were fine once "broken in", though I did need to be a little careful walking down stairs. Current ones are only 3+ dioptres max, so not a bog deal (because I have about 12 of correction in my implanted lenses post cataract surgery)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 24th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I've had varifocals for years, I really struggled before. I still take them off when going down steps or slopes though :oops:. I suppose I am lucky that I can still see without them. I have never tried contacts, the thought of inserting them into the eye makes me feel :sprout:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 24th, 2019, 8:28 pm

I could touch my eyeball with my finger without it hurting or me flinching. (Not that I am in the habit of doing so.) Yet I have issues with wearing most types of lens. Something to do with eyelids?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 25th, 2019, 9:13 am

good morning, all.
breezy, damp and overcast. it was wet cat at about seven.
i knew it was seven because an alarm went off in the kitchen - my partner had moved a clock and obviously touched the alarm button. he said, 'a new clock had arrived there' - it's been there for well over five years, probably nearer ten.
our ip address dropped on a spammer's ip late yesterday afternoon so i was unable to post, and my partner unable to send some important emails, until late in the evening when the ip had moved on - bl@@dy annoying.
off to falmouth in a bit for a trip to trago and to do the shopping that i keep putting off. two birds with one stone - better use of the car.
but not before i get a cup of coffee - i'm giving out some strong vibes.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2019, 9:26 am

Good morning all

Worth getting an alternative email address with a different IP
Scully? OH used a different one to me so if that happened hopefully we could use his to send emails ... and vice versa.

We’re heading to the shops in a bit ... while the sun is still shining... we’re promised sun all day, but I don’t believe them.

Have a good day everyone
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 25th, 2019, 9:38 am

scullion wrote:good morning, all.
breezy, damp and overcast. it was wet cat at about seven.
i knew it was seven because an alarm went off in the kitchen - my partner had moved a clock and obviously touched the alarm button. he said, 'a new clock had arrived there' - it's been there for well over five years, probably nearer ten.
our ip address dropped on a spammer's ip late yesterday afternoon so i was unable to post, and my partner unable to send some important emails, until late in the evening when the ip had moved on - bl@@dy annoying.
off to falmouth in a bit for a trip to trago and to do the shopping that i keep putting off. two birds with one stone - better use of the car.
but not before i get a cup of coffee - i'm giving out some strong vibes.

They opened a Trago in Merthyr - what a god forsaken hell hole it is! I couldn't believe the amount of tat they sold - very cheaply :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » October 25th, 2019, 10:08 am

i agree, not a salubrious palace of a shop but we pick our stuff carefully and to be fair there's a lot of known brands, too, also cheaper.
i check out the art stuff, fabric and books - they do have some good ones - they had a glaze book for about three quid that i'd paid thirteen for a few years back.
we don't go very often.
the owners are very right wing and used to (may still) put full page adverts in the local papers which included political views and diatribes against the county council (they have unflattering statues of the planning committee members at their liskeard store from years back) and anyone who disagrees with their politics. a friend who once worked for them was sent home for wearing a rose in his buttonhole on may day.
the falmouth shop is much, much smaller than the other ones and is therefore even more cramped and warren-like.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2019, 10:17 am

I really disliked the atmosphere at the Liskeard Trago ... it made me feel deeply uneasy. Not a place we’d choose to go back to.
Just take a look at the Controversies and legal issues section here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trago_Mills
Says it all really.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 25th, 2019, 11:50 am

I'd never heard of it, but the owners are clearly vile.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 25th, 2019, 2:05 pm

The Merthyr one is probably visible from space it is so enormous! I went in the weekend it opened as I happened to be in the area - it looks like some sort of hideous Disneyesque hypermarket. They seemed to have so much stuff from fishing tackle to knitting wool - I doubt that any independent shop in Merthyr would be able to compete with them on price so that eventually it will be the only shop around. The owners sound pretty awful!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » October 25th, 2019, 4:47 pm

we didn't go in the end - we went to somewhere closer for what we needed.
yes, they are rather vile - but then i don't think any big shops run on truly ethical lines.
i try not to spend very much in tesco and i refuse to shop in m&s after they insisted on terms of exclusivity in the contract then took it abroad, putting a load of redruth sewing machinists out of work. i also have a friend who was a market gardener who refused to grow for m&s.
i was very naughty at trago once - a female staff member was really rude to me when i asked if the price on a pack of towels was correct (£3 for 3 really luxurious bath ones) she said no, they hadn't been priced up yet, although it had a normal looking price label on. she took them off me and put them back in the box i had picked them from. so i went round the counter and when she wasn't looking i took them out and went and paid for them in the tool department (young men don't know the price of towels) - i was very cross with her.

the aforementioned friend (with the rose) was sacked for putting a note about child labour in a sofa.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Love the towel story :lol: :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 25th, 2019, 5:13 pm

I agree that staff rudeness does bring out the devil in me. I once bought a tv from a very large company Currys or somewhere like that. It was due to be delivered and I waited in all day as requested - even getting my daughter to come in at 6 as I had to go out and it said we had to be in until 8. The next day I got in touch with Curry's and asked when it would be delivered. They had no record of the purchase. So I took my receipt back to Curry's and cancelled the order. The man at the service till was so rude that I left in a real paddy after getting my refund. Next day I ordered the same tv on line at about £100 cheaper. About half an hour later there was a knock at the door and a tv was delivered............... I cancelled the one I had just ordered and enjoyed an £800 tv for about 10 years :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » October 26th, 2019, 9:23 am

good morning, all.
wet. wet cat twice in the night, wet cat now - so i assume it hasn't stopped raining all night. i think it may rain all day.
i am wondering if it's worth getting a paypal account for paying for things online. i don't do it that often but as my card had to be replaced last week due to having been used on a site or atm that had been associated with a dodgy transaction (the only places i'd used it, recently, were through abe books - aka amazon - and the atm in rr) i'm thinking it might be safer. i was still able to use the card in real shops, thank goodness, so we didn't starve.
nothing planned for today other than avoiding the result on the radio and watching qually this evening. i really don't fancy going out/outside.

Meganthemog wrote:staff rudeness does bring out the devil in me.

you and me both!

have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 26th, 2019, 9:33 am

Morning. still pretty windy this morning after a night of storminess. It occurred to me at about 11.30pm (way past my usual bedtime) that my inca berry plants might have been blown over. And indeed they had. Battled with them for a bit. (Pick one up, watch it fall straight over again) but managed to wedge them into places that kept them upright. There will be some casualties re. fruit and broken branches though. Dahlias took a hit too and smaller pots were all over the place on their sides.

After that, I was awake until 4am :shock: Ironic, as my husband got to France and probably to bed and sleep before me. He managed to do it in about 6.5 hours door to door which is pretty impressive. I bet he speeded...

What to do today...? Really not sure. Not much, I think. I have a BBC Good Food magazine to look at, and the latest copy of the Fortean Times, which has my company's resissue of an old book all over it :) (Primarily why I bought it, but have been known to read it from time to time.) I have a story in my head to try putting to paper/computer. And I need to send another story to writing groups (both have meetings this week. They are going to get the same story, I think.) so should read that again first. Also want to research bulb planting. Might put some crocuses in one of the lawns, and I gather that I should already have planted them out, along with narcissi. (Would explain why people are discounting them now.) Might cook something, but that would involve going out to get ingredients...

I will do more things tomorrow, when the weather looks lovely, if a little chilly. Maybe take my camera into town.

I hope everyone has a great day :)

Ooh the sun just came out.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 26th, 2019, 9:58 am

Good morning
It’s grey but so far quite dry.
I’ve got a bit of a cold so will potter around and see if it develops. I had some wine delivered so need to sort it and stash it

If I get bored I might even tackle the ironing
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2019, 10:15 am

Good morning all

Sun? What's that? Dull grey and damp here :rolleyes:

OH is at work ... I'm roasting squash for soup and catching up with this and that.

Shame I'm up to date with our ir*ning Sue or I'd bung some over your way to alleviate your boredom ;)

What a PITA about your card Scully. OH has a Paypal account and is happy with it, but DS had the devil of a problem with his and won't have one now.

Have a good day everyone.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 26th, 2019, 10:33 am

Do you use your debit card online, Scullion?!

I have a Paypal account. Useful for selling things on eBay...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 26th, 2019, 11:08 am

I use PayPal, have done for years
I’ve had no problems with it, and find it it much easier than navigating the relevant bit of unfamiliar websites. It did refuse to pay someone in Ontario the other day but that was the way the seller had set up their website I think, and I succeeded in the end ( the seller is A1, the leading supplier of backgammon kit)
It’s linked to my debit card, and only my debit card.
The only downside is that even if you link it to a credit card you don’t get the protection from the credit card insurance. Having said which, I understand PayPal themselves are pretty good at policing rogues.
I wouldn’t give my card details directly to unknown eBay sellers (which is why I got it in the first place)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop