good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » October 26th, 2019, 11:39 am

Herbidacious wrote:Do you use your debit card online, Scullion?!

yes, i've never had any problems before this - and even this wasn't my fault.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I only use a credit card online .., it’s all I use it for and it has a low limit ... that way if anything gets hacked at least they can’t get their hands on very much and screw up my current account.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 26th, 2019, 1:33 pm

I am with Suffs on this, plus I don't think the bank has an obligation to refund you if you have fraud on your current account, whereas credit card companies are? (Although this may have changed.)

I don't have an especially low limit though :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 26th, 2019, 3:34 pm

as i said, i haven't had any fraud on my current account or debit card. it hasn't been hacked, cloned or subverted in any way (yet‽‽‽).

the nearest i've had to that was a direct debit wrongly set up by someone with seven trent water authority (a long way from cornwall!) - which the building society refunded and dealt with straight away - about twenty years ago.
the water authority refused to believe that it was anything other than my fault with excuses like i must have set it up, must have lived in the area in the past and been paying then - anything other than someone in their office or the person who really owed the money had written down the direct debit details wrong. whoever it was had a very big bill to repay as i hadn't checked my statements for a couple of months - just the quick check of funds at the money machine.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 26th, 2019, 10:00 pm

The other advantages of PayPal is that often if you use it to pay for small things you can just use the PayPal account and not make more that will inevitably spam you

Unless you are shopping in the terrible mess that is the British Legion poppy shop. Someone should be court matialed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2019, 12:34 am

hmm, my partner has had his PayPal account spammed and blocked a couple of times.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 27th, 2019, 6:26 am

I get phishing emails about my Paypal account threatening all sorts of dire stuff if I don’t follow their instructions ... but I don’t have a Paypal account :shock: :lol: :rolleyes: :twisted:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 27th, 2019, 8:10 am

Yes there are a lot of Paypal scams out there... not surprisingly, given it's function.

I should do some more eBaying, as in selling rather than buying. It's such a faff though, if you put care into it. (Photographing, constantly having to check and edit the listings, because of eBay's constant attempts to force you to do certain things you might not want to.) Then if you are successful, there is the close inspection for cat hairs (as anyone with cats will know, they get everywhere. Even on new things that have gone straight in the wardrobe.) packaging up, half hour in the post office to either post or get proof of postage...

Bright but cloudy here this morning. Weather forecast still for full sun until early afternoon. The parakeets are being noisy and squabbly. Last night it was crows. Not sure what was going on there, as we don't normally have a crow issue. A crow AGM (or a dead thing)?

I did have grandiose plans for going into town with my camera (some of my Suffolk ancestors are buried in Brompton Cemetery, so...) but I can feel myself weedling out of it. Maybe I should make myself. Or maybe I should stay at home and plant crocuses and narcissi, and put jackets on my tender biennials!

I am looking forward to my husband coming home tonight, and not just because he will have a few bags of French hypermarche shopping. I have missed him.

Perhaps, though, I should clear some space in the fridge, although I suspect most purchases will be larder things. Hmm seeming as Brexit is going to be delayed a bit again, maybe we could do a day trip to the Pas de Calais area, although next month is chocka.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2019, 8:38 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
my partner left to go to a school reunion, upcountry, about half an hour ago. i am tasked with cooking outside. i have some ready rolled croissants and chocolatine in the fridge so i'll start off with those and then think about something for later - if the sun is still here.
it's very strange - even though i have no intention of going anywhere i still feel trapped when the car is not available - a totally ridiculous feeling as i've got to salamanca without the car - oh, i'll amend that - i had to get a lift to the local station and back - the one bit where public transport let me down!
i don't think my partner will be bringing back any delicacies with him, he's going nowhere as exotic as france - and he hates shopping more than i do.
i've got to get my own coffee, poor me!
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 27th, 2019, 9:13 am

I wouldn't call Normandy exotic... :lol:

My main thing about no car is that it takes so very long to get anywhere by public transport. It's hard not to compare the hour it might take by bus v. the 15 minutes by car, so I end up not going anywhere.
I did go to Sainsbury's by bus yesterday. It's not that far really. (But a bit of a waste of time. They have a lot of very very soft silk faux fur jackets. So soft that if you wore one, you'd just sitting there stroking yourself ( :shock: ) and I was tempted, but talked myself out of it. I don't really want/need a faux fur jacket, and I do have cats, after all. I did procure a large baking potato that was my dinner, though. And a few other unnecessary items.)
Going into town is another matter, as it would doubtless take longer by car, were one mad/decadent enough to do it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 27th, 2019, 10:13 am

Good morning
Since I no longer have a car I find that if I research routes carefully it’s usually quicker by public transport, definitely once you take the time taken to locate parking into account. Then every so often I find a location that’s also well inside London and it’s bizarrely hard to get there. But obviously it would be different if I didn’t live well inside London Transport zones.

But due to the need for buses, and to a lesser extent cars, to stick to main routes surprisingly often when I research a route the destination which I’ve never thought of as local, turns out to be less than 3km away by a relatively direct route so easily walked.

A walk in the sunshine calls me so have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 28th, 2019, 8:37 am

Morning. Frosty out, but very sunny. I have not yet wrapped up my tender plants (potted mimosa, artichokes) or brought in the chillis.

Husband was a bit confused about the time this morning :) Two time changes in 12 hours for him, and matters not helped by his phone insisting on sticking to old time/French time (or only half of the clocks in the house being changed.)
I am sorry to say that the haul he brought back was not quite right with regard to most items :o I should have been more specific. He bought cheap and not so good versions of things and hardly any cheese!!?! :) Ah well. I suppose half the appeal of it is doing the shopping myself. I am trying to persuade him to do a day trip in December. Given up trying to second guess Brexit in this regard.

Yesterday I ended up going into town. I found two family graves in Brompton Cemetery. Somewhat illegible, but I was still very very pleased. Graves are not easy to find even in small graveyards (although I did have some indication of where they might be in this one.) Then did some wedding guest dress shopping in Chelsea.

I have a very busy week this week. A bit daunted.

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 28th, 2019, 9:17 am

Sue's comments re travel distances reminded me of a piece I saw earlier in the week. You do have to think, even when in a strange city.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 6.html?amp

Herbi you pack so much into your days I feel tired just reading about it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 28th, 2019, 9:21 am

I certainly get tired,EM. I didn’t do much at all on Saturday though. If I do nothing I feel anxious. I am not very good at relaxing.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 28th, 2019, 11:13 am

good morning, all.
overcast and damp - rather a case of 'what a difference a day makes'.
i think i have cultivated the opposite of your problem, herbi - i am good at indolence.
shame about the shopping list.
i have to plan a follow-up shop if i've sent my partner shopping. he has, in the past, come back with less than he, on his own, would eat in a day before now. i now only give him one or two specific items on a list if he's heading out anywhere.
when he first retired he said we could do the shopping together - what a pain that was! but as his love of shopping is even less than mine that soon wore off, thank goodness.
the only thing on the cards, today, is the organic gardening group talk on something to do with trees, down in helston, this evening.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 28th, 2019, 1:36 pm

I think my OH has been to the supermarket less than 5 times in 38 years of marriage.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 28th, 2019, 3:57 pm

:o

Mine tends to sit in the cafe, which he reaches via the DVD bit (which is at the opposite end of the supermarket from the entrance and the cafe) while I shop. It's better (and quicker) that way...

My parents used to go round separately, each with their own trolley - my mother's for mostly proper food and household things, my father's for wine and chocolate (for his sole consumption.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Oat » October 28th, 2019, 5:15 pm

When my husband retired we started to shop together. I found it trying and that's being polite, he will happily push the trolley and loves buying food. The problem is he thinks buying the non food items a bore and tends to double the speed he walks up the household aisles so he can get them done quicker. I can usually be found trotting behind him carrying the loo rolls and soap powder to put in the trolley when I catch him up. He also thinks whatever the size of trolley he has needs to be filled, I have told him its not compulsory. We still shop together just not as often!
Oat
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 28th, 2019, 5:30 pm

A couple of years ago, I was in the same aisle as an old couple in our Morrisons. She was not in the best of moods - everything the poor lad did was wrong - what have you got that for? Put it back! Why don't you do as you're told? etc. It was constant. I bumped into them a couple of aisles later, and she was still at it. Anyway, she'd run her length - he stepped away and said " I tell you what, me duck - you make a blxxdy good cure for happiness!" I haven't seen them since.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Oat » October 28th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Gruney that made me laugh! :D
Oat
Registered

Postby Rainbow » October 28th, 2019, 10:16 pm

We always do the shopping together and OH is very good at it - especially the fruit and veg. We have a list which we work to, but also both add extras as we go. We've been shopping together for years and it doesn't cause any problems :D
Love your story Gruney, wonder how long they'd been together?
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 29th, 2019, 8:26 am

I am beginning to think that my (49 year old) husband is a throw back to much earlier times, what with his extreme unwillingness to do any housework or cooking :o Re food shopping, he's basically not interested in food, really. My main bugbear is that while in the supermarket, I ask him what he might like to eat during the week, and he will say "Nothing". He eats loads when he's hungry, can't think about it before he becomes hungry and doesn't seem to be that bothered what he eats when he does.
He is a love though :D :luv: (Some of the time... !! ;) )

It was quite bright here this morning. Now dull. Skies a pale grey. Less cold than yesterday though insofar that no frost?
Writing meeting no.1 of the week tonight. I submitted a long sort story with some trepidation. (It's not quite right.)

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 29th, 2019, 9:08 am

Good morning
Bright cloudy small chance of rain here. Flipping cold

I used to ask my OH what he’d like to eat, and all I’d get would be a sweet smile and “Oh, what you want”. Sometimes I would point out that what I really wanted was a bit of help in choosing! He didn’t do shopping or cooking much

Not doing anything exciting today
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 29th, 2019, 9:12 am

Gruney :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Never take a man shopping. Unless it's for wine/alcohol. Mr S is very good at that bit. On the rare occasions we're supermarket shopping together (usually just when buying groceries for holiday cottages or occasionally coming up to Christmas or other special events) I send him off to sort out the booze and I do the food. Much easier. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » October 29th, 2019, 9:14 am

good morning, all.
raining - it's going to rain non stop for, at least, the next three days, according to the forecast - great.
i don't feel like going to yoga but i will as i have a few things to do on the way back - after coffee with a friend.
the talk last night was the worst we've been to there. the chap was unprepared, could have got it done in half the time if he hadn't kept stopping for a few seconds - every few seconds, roamed off into the area of pseudo psychology and 'inner spaces', got some of his explanation of the physics of climate change wrong, was extremely rude to people and treated them like naughty school children if they started to ask more than one question or tackle him on a point he didn't want to answer or didn't put their hand up to ask a question. - and this guy, i think, works for the county council on a climate change tree scheme - which means we pay him! there were also an amazing amount of people at the meeting - many more than usual - and possibly many of them won't return if they think that is the calibre of speaker we normally have.
we nearly walked out part of the way through but we wanted a leaflet that was on the table in front of him and didn't want to get told to sit down and wait for later!
it's a shame - we've had some truly excellent speakers. his parents were in the room - i wonder how they felt.
better shift or i'll be late.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 9:53 am

Good morning all
Today the man is coming to unjam the oven knob :D
OH is good at shopping as long as he has a list ... he often comes with me if we have a lot to get as pushing the trolley can bu$$er my knee. He’s exceptionally good at packing too (years of experience in the farm shop). At one time he did some of that memory training stuff and he would memorise a list of up to 30 items and then get them. He likes a challenge ... perhaps your OH would do better thinking of it like that rather than in a foodie way Herbi ?

What a shame about that meeting Scully :(

Right ... better get on with eating my scrambled eggs on toast :hungry:

Have a good day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 29th, 2019, 11:00 am

Why is it that pushing the trolley makes my knee hurt like hell? Especially if it is full!
OH tends to find a seat and reads the paper while I do the shopping - if I sent him on his own he'd come back with all sorts of cr@p! The trouble is that because he never goes to buy food he has no idea of the cost of stuff. The last time we got to the checkout he nearly fell over when the bill was over £150! But he thinks nothing of spending £80 on a meal out in a pub!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 11:06 am

It’s because you sort of ‘brace’ your knee when you change direction pushing the trolley. I’ve had to learn to pull it instead since I hurt my knee. It makes such a difference.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 29th, 2019, 12:14 pm

suffolk wrote:It’s because you sort of ‘brace’ your knee when you change direction pushing the trolley. I’ve had to learn to pull it instead since I hurt my knee. It makes such a difference.

Yes I find pulling it so much easier.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 12:21 pm

If it’s hurting your knee please don’t push the trolley ... it’s actually damaging your ligaments and tendons ... learn from my experience :rolleyes: :cry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 29th, 2019, 4:34 pm

I too am very bad at trolly pushing, I think it needs to be steered from the back wheels so if turning eg left get the nose in the right position then swing the back around in line if that makes sense.

I used to take my OH shopping to help with the heavy stuff but he was so annoying I have replaced him with a wheely bag.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Oat » October 29th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I think swapping the OH with a wheely bag sounds a good deal :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 29th, 2019, 6:24 pm

No I’m keeping mine ... he does the washing up :luv:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 30th, 2019, 8:15 am

Morning. Bright and sunny.

Hopefully lunch out with friend today (postponed from when I was ill.) A bit profligate this week, as I took myself out to lunch on Monday and ended up having two courses in somewhere quite nice (Coach and Horses Vine st.), and possibly lunch out with a group of colleagues on Friday.

V tired. Ready to go back to bed now... :(

I hoope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 30th, 2019, 11:24 am

good morning, all.
raining - still. the met office seems to indicate that there will be a little patch where it won't rain and we might get a little sun - next monday.
i don't think either of us intend to go out today - except maybe to go down and get the post.
i definitely don't fancy a walk on the beach! maybe the stove will be lit and we'll watch a film, or do a series binge, in true couch potato style.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Oat » October 30th, 2019, 12:23 pm

What needed doing this morning is done, chicken noodle soup made, doctors appointment made and Edinburgh booked for 5 nights in the caravan. Going to visit Edinburgh Christmas market and a church that I have missed for 25 years :lol: have a lovely afternoon everyone
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 30th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Good after morning all :)

While I was at tennis OH put the proved bread dough in the oven when the timer went off, set the timer for 30 mins, took it out again and turned it out to cool on the rack :hi5:

And I won my service game to Love against Competative Bazzer :hi5: He sulked ;)

It’s been a good day so far ... enjoy the rest of it folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 30th, 2019, 1:01 pm

well done, how satisfying, i hope you gave him your best smug face!
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 30th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Sounds lovely Oat! :luv:

So chuffed that we're within such an easy distance of Edinburgh now.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 30th, 2019, 1:24 pm

scullion wrote:well done, how satisfying, i hope you gave him your best smug face!

You know me Scully :hi5: 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 30th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Oat wrote:What needed doing this morning is done, chicken noodle soup made, doctors appointment made and Edinburgh booked for 5 nights in the caravan. Going to visit Edinburgh Christmas market and a church that I have missed for 25 years :lol: have a lovely afternoon everyone

We love Edinburgh at Christmas time Oat....always try to have a few days there in our camper once all the decorations are up. Where are you staying? We always go to Silverknowes, quite easy to get into the city. You will have to tell of any wonderful eating places you find....
We have had a few Wildies meets there.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Oat » October 30th, 2019, 2:53 pm

We are staying at Roslin almost opposite Rosslyn chapel on a 5 van site, its 6 miles to the centre of Edinburgh, we use the local bus as it gives J chance to have a good look round at his old stomping grounds. It will be busy and I can't wait, white pudding supper here I come :D
Oat
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 30th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Oat wrote:We are staying at Roslin almost opposite Rosslyn chapel on a 5 van site, its 6 miles to the centre of Edinburgh, we use the local bus as it gives J chance to have a good look round at his old stomping grounds. It will be busy and I can't wait, white pudding supper here I come :D

Ah yes, know the site. The Edinburgh bus service is so good, and a real treat for us as we have very few buses. We have free passes and when we get tired of wandering around, just get on any bus, just for a rest, it’s amazing the places we see!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Oat » October 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Patpoyntz
I am so looking forward to us getting a free bus pass, J gets his in May but the talk is I might not get one as they may not be issued in 4 years time. I will not be a happy bunny if I don't. Do you know when the decorations go up in the city? think we may be a bit early.
Oat
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I miss those meets in Edinburgh :cry: :(

Edited to add I have been quite the domestic goddess today : after my Fitsteps class, I came home and potted up a new shrub to replace a box that got ravaged by the Box Moth caterpillar, then migrated to the kitchen where I made celery, leek and stilton soup, stuffed a harlequin squash with a bulgur wheat mix and finished off constructing a lasagne … (pats oneself on the back with satisfaction ;) ) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 30th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Oat wrote:Patpoyntz
I am so looking forward to us getting a free bus pass, J gets his in May but the talk is I might not get one as they may not be issued in 4 years time. I will not be a happy bunny if I don't. Do you know when the decorations go up in the city? think we may be a bit early.

We passed through Edinburgh last week, just an overnight stop in Leith, on our way home, (Malmaison....one of our favourites, cooked to order breakfast..the eggs benedict are wonderful) and I noticed that The Dome has its lights on, but didn’t see any of the street lights yet. I think the markets start about the middle of November.

Patsy..are you in touch with tinytrishkins? Maybe we could have a mini meet?
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2019, 8:34 pm

patpoyntz wrote:Patsy..are you in touch with tinytrishkins? Maybe we could have a mini meet?

Only via facebook … won't hurt to put the suggestion to her :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 30th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Good idea Patsy, I’m away for a week. Will catch up (pm) with you when I get back.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 31st, 2019, 8:23 am

Morning. I thought I might sleep in a little later today with husband not being here again (he's gone to his mother's - she's had a hip replacement op) but quite the opposite, and for once, not Basil's fault. He was as good as gold this morning, sitting patiently next to my pillow...

Bright and sunny out.

I have another writing meeting in town tonight. Not convenient as need to prepare to go up north to join husband at MIL's tomorrow.
Also need to send back the Boden dress I bought for the wedding. It's viscose and cut to fit on the waist, but as I am short waisted, the waist falls on my hips, and it just doesn't work with my post menopause hips. V disappointed. And I do hate sending things back. (Not least because it involves a big chunk of my lunch hour in the post office.) Ah well. Back to square one with project wedding guest dress.
I hope everyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2019, 9:13 am

good morning, all.
it might not rain until five o'clock - if i whisper it might be so
sewing with le regazze today. i have something to make for lunch and to decide if i bother to take a machine and stuff to make, as you can bet your bottom dollar i will be roped in to doing something for the usual person - it seems to happen every time. i know for a fact she wants curtains made. if i don't take my machine i won't be able to be roped in to using hers - it's modern, plastic and far too complicated for what she needs and the sort that has no foot control (she is disabled) so no variable speed. i've tried it before, it's a horrible machine and i refuse to use it. i do have my 'body' to make so maybe i'll take that to cut out.
can't remember what time i've got to be there so i suppose i'd better shift.
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop