good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2019, 11:27 am

Good morning all

I’m glad Cornwall suits us and is considerably cheaper than Jamaica 8-)

Love Simon Armitage’s plan to award an annual prize for nature poetry and to give his salary as poet laureate to the winner. Sound chap :tu:

The earlier blue sky and attempt at brightness has faded away and OH has put the heating on ... he really needs more meat in his bones for insulation but it’s a list cause I’m afraid. :rolleyes:

Some time today I need to catch up with Rick Stein and I’m a Celeb as we watched other channels last night. Think more knitting is likely.

Have a good day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 21st, 2019, 11:55 am

suffolk wrote:but it’s a list cause I’m afraid.

Do you mean he's rather lean? :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 21st, 2019, 11:56 am

LOL ... he is indeed :lol: :tu: :oops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 21st, 2019, 12:21 pm

WOT! WOT! WOT!
Stop slanging us blokes off.
Where would you be without us
We shower you with gifts & love, we do all the jobs that need doing around the house
We are spotlessly tidy, pander to your every will & always there when you need us.
I think we are all saints, it must be nice not having to do anything but enjoy life.
I am sitting here trying to think of anything we could change to make us more perfect, no,no nothing comes to mind.
O lord it's hard to be humble. when your perfect in every way.
I will now go and hide :lol: :lol: :lol:
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 21st, 2019, 12:25 pm

Plenty of blubber on me but I'm freezing today and finding it hard to warm up, I'll go out for a walk in a minute. It didn't get above 14 degrees without heating so it's had to go on as I'm not going out much today.

I worked with several people whose families came from Jamaica as well as having a distant family member who lived there and they often went back to visit quite happily. Like anywhere else, as long as you do a bit of homework and stick to recommended behaviour it should be lovely.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 21st, 2019, 3:49 pm

I am hugging my desk lamp. It's just the right temperature, although it could be cuddlier. Wish I didn't have to go out after work this evening...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2019, 8:38 am

Morning. Bright, but cloudy here. A vast continent of cloud-mountains is moving quite rapidly across the sky, with a band of gold and pale blue above it. I was cold in the night.

It's decision time re wedding garb, and travelling up to Norwich tomorrow. (Suffs, Bungay came up in conversatoin with one of my fellow writers last night. He pronounced it Bung-ee - with a hard 'g'. Is that right?) I had a last ditch (28% off) Boden attempt (well two, actually). One dress not warm enough. The other a bit too short, but quite nice and I think I look ok in it. However both arrived in a very crumpled state. Clearly returns. Not pleased about that. They could do better.
Will present (my poor) husband with 4 alternatives tonight. I will probably disagree with him, but it will hopefully help me to clarify my feelings.

I have not much to do at work, today, potentially. I am coming to the end of the writing part of philosophy, and there's not much more to do on dinosaurs. Folk stories is in a hiatus until the other contributers have all contributed. No new projects lined up :(

I am going to finish at 4 and may go to a couple of Scandinavian Christmas fairs being helf in Bermondsey/Canada water in Norwegian and Finnish churches.

Basil has been sick in my shoes in the night...

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 22nd, 2019, 9:00 am

Grey & miserable here today but not as miserable as me.
Binmen woke me up this morning at 7.20 ( I didn't know there was such a time)
Not much on today although I do have a indoor bowls match tonight.
It's the singles competition, the names are drawn at random as to who your opponent will be.
And I am drawn against Ann, that should be interesting.
I have told her if she doesn't let me win she gets no dinner :lol: :lol:
I will let you know how it goes
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am

That’s a dangerous thing to say to someone on possession of a bowling ball, Terry.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am

Good morning all :D

Yes Herbi ... Bungay has a hard ‘g’. It also has a castle and the home of Rider Haggard was close by at Ditchingham.

I’m heading for U3A and then down the A140 to a very good farm shop ... I may be gone some time ...

Have a good day all ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 22nd, 2019, 11:02 am

Good morning
We’ve had some rain, more to come it seems
Not got a lot planned but need to go to the supermarket and stock up, galoshes required no doubt

Have a good day everyone, and Herbi hope you have a good trip and enjoy the wedding, I think you may have inspired me as I am going to a wedding in January, have a possible frock but need a jacket of some kind, think I know where to find it.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2019, 11:10 am

suffolk wrote:Good morning all :D

Yes Herbi ... Bungay has a hard ‘g’. It also has a castle and the home of Rider Haggard was close by at Ditchingham.

So Bung-ee not Bun-gay (was what I meant)? he was referring to a French émigré who lived there post the French Revolution.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2019, 11:12 am

I hope you find a nice jacket, Sue. Most of the time my shopping is done on a 'happening to see something I like' basis, rather than needing something specific basis. I find the latter very frustrating.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 22nd, 2019, 11:36 am

good morning, all.
it wasn't raining when i got up - it is now.
nothing planned other than using the rest of the green tomatoes and then clearing up the kitchen - which looking as if a horde of students has been using it for the last month or two.
i was woken by the jackdaws acting like a mob of football hooligans having a barn dance on the roof. it's going to be hell up come next nesting season if this is what it's like now.

Herbidacious wrote:Basil has been sick in my shoes in the night...

what is it about cats and shoes? - i woke up to find the back half of a rabbit seemingly diving down into the 'hole' of one of my shoes by the bed a few years back (red or dead clog type of things i was using as slippers). it had to be placed there deliberately - i took a photo. it fitted perfectly into the shoe - no hint, other than the obvious that it wasn't a complete bunny.
i've also had live presents placed in shoes, too. i don't think we've had sick, though, thank goodness.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 22nd, 2019, 12:35 pm

When I was about 13 I found a live mouse hiding in the toe of my slippers. For years after I would tip up and shake all footwear before putting it on.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 22nd, 2019, 12:36 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I hope you find a nice jacket, Sue. Most of the time my shopping is done on a 'happening to see something I like' basis, rather than needing something specific basis. I find the latter very frustrating.

Yes, about the only things I buy by prior intent are plain knitwear and jeans. It’s going to be a small and informal wedding so knitwear is an option
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2019, 3:54 pm

Herbi, locals pronounce it Bungy rather than Bungay ... emphasis on the first syllable ... im trying to think of a rhyme ... but can’t :? ..... think of the word ‘chunky’ and it’s sort of similar ... does that explain it? Have a good visit to Norwich and enjoy the wedding :D
Last edited by suffolk on November 22nd, 2019, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 22nd, 2019, 4:40 pm

Ugh, cats and shoes ... hilarious reading other people's stories though :lol:. Herbi, you're going to look fine at the wedding!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 23rd, 2019, 8:24 am

good morning, all.
the weather is doing what it's done for most of the past month - and we have a yellow warning of rain - what's that all about‽‽‽.
i will be indoors at a ceramics meeting for most of the day. my partner will be grumbling, at home, about the weather.
better shift if i want a coffee before i go.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 23rd, 2019, 8:50 am

Good morning.
Same here although a flood warning has been issued for the River Parrett at Bridgwater & surrounding area.s.
So last night I beat Ann in the bowls competition.
I also went on to win all my matches but lost out on the trophy on shot count. ( always the bridesmaid never the bride)
This morning we are litter picking in the rain along our local canal ( some people get all the glamorous jobs)
Enjoy your day.
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2019, 9:30 am

suffolk wrote:Herbi, locals pronounce it Bungy rather than Bungay ... emphasis on the first syllable ... im trying to think of a rhyme ... but can’t :? ..... think of the word ‘chunky’ and it’s sort of similar ... does that explain it? Have a good visit to Norwich and enjoy the wedding :D

Yes. Thank you!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2019, 9:34 am

Thanks Em.

I did my mini 'fashion show' last night and narrowed it down to two, but am pretty sure what the one is (just taking back up.) I am dismayed at how dumpy and very middle aged I look, but I suppose I had better accept it. Half trying to believe that the camera does lie... (Husband took pictures to help decision.)

Hoping to set off quite soon, so there is time for lunch, but OH is very hard to get out of the house. He's still in the shower right now

Well done Terry!

I hope everyone has a good day

p.s. found cat litter in my bed last night. Basil (possibly Lily) really was excelling himself yesterday.
Last edited by Herbidacious on November 23rd, 2019, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 23rd, 2019, 9:36 am

I'm in for a great weekend. After being dogless for a couple of months, I've got my daughter's border collie for a few days. I'm used to collies - the energy, intelligence, and that look they give you - but this lad's something else, I promise you. Off to the common with my whistle now - great stuff!
Gruney
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » November 23rd, 2019, 10:08 am

Enjoy yourself Gruney !!! :hug: .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2019, 10:48 am

Good morning
Have fun on the common Gruney!

Sitting drinking instant coffee because I think my espresso machine has died. I’ve cleaned and unblocked it, and it just can’t force water through the coffee grounds any more, it sulks. I could use the aero press but getting it out a bit awkward at the moment. Eyeing up the Sage duo as a replacement.

Probably ought to walk to the farmer’s market for exercise etc.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2019, 3:15 pm

I forgot to bring jewellery! Good thing the dress isn’t of a plain fabric.

I am past caring now.

Disappointed the Coleman’s shop is no longer.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2019, 3:28 pm

Oh! What did you need ... I might have had something suitable you could’ve borrowed ... I suppose it’s too late now ... :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2019, 3:38 pm

I forgot deodorant too :o
OH has some, though although I am a bit allergy to it.
Knew I should have done a list. i have three petticoats :D

That’s very kind of you Suffs. Will be walking to the venue in 30 mins. No one is going to notice me anyway! I don’t know anyone there.

Suppose should think about getting ready...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 23rd, 2019, 3:38 pm

That's sad about the Coleman's shop. Despite regular visits to Norfolk I haven't had a chance to go to Norwich for years. There's a shop which sells natural products I'd like to visit. Considering a trip soon. Hope the wedding went ok.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2019, 3:42 pm

I would ask the hotel if they have some deodorant ... a good hotel keeps a stock of the things that people forget, and the Maid’s Head is a very good hotel ... or it always was anyway.
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 23rd, 2019, 3:48 pm

Hope all goes well at the wedding, I bet you look stunning.

Ah woman & wedding garb, as a bloke it does my head in, Ann & I hardly ever fall out, but when we went to choose a hat for our daughters wedding :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Spent all day traipsing around pish hat shops, does sir like this one does sir like that one.
How much is it :o :o :o :o :o
In the end I walked out the shop closely followed by Ann where we had a blazing row.
Begrudgingly I caved in went back in the shop & paid for it, a hat that was only ever worn once :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I could have bought myself three complete outfits for the price.
Am I a tight fisted old git YES :lol: :lol: :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm

Ah woman & wedding garb, as a bloke it does my head in, Ann & I hardly ever fall out, but when we went to choose a hat for our daughters wedding :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Spent all day traipsing around pish hat shops, does sir like this one does sir like that one.
In the end I walked out the shop closely followed by Ann where we had a blazing row.
Begrudgingly I caved in went back in the shop & paid for it, a hat that was only ever worn once :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
hickybank
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm

hickybank
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 23rd, 2019, 4:06 pm

Ooops, Hicky is still so cross he said it three times hahaha.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 23rd, 2019, 4:13 pm

miss mouse wrote:Ooops, Hicky is still so cross he said it three times hahaha.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Me and my sausage fingers, and I cannot see a way to delete it
It was only 22 years ago & I have still not got over it :( :( :(
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 23rd, 2019, 6:38 pm

Time to move on .... :lol:. I feel sure that to be the bride or bride groom's mother is as nerve wracking as being a bride, I am pleased that your wife had a hat that made her feel special :luv: . (Also quite pleased I had a low key wedding and that neither of my children have married! If they do now, it will be low key - I hope).

With regard to what guests wear, unless it is memorable for all the wrong reasons (too revealing, overly scruffy etc) most people would be hard pressed to remember what anyone else had worn after a few weeks. We proved this once at a work do in the 80s when people got dressed to the nines for Christmas dos. The only talk for a month beforehand was what each if us would wear. Two weeks later, one of the group went round asking us to describe what our colleagues had worn on the night. Not one of us could remember!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2019, 10:14 pm

Thanks all. It was er interesting.
Interesting range of clothing male and female alike from
Evening dresses and fascinators to jersey day dresses and ankle boots to a jumpsuit for women. Black tie, floral shirts, Star Wars tie and a little boy in a rainbow sequinned dress on the male side . It had occurred to me before when I was agonising about my dress that we all have different ideas about what’s ‘posh’, assuming weddings require posh and this was verified. I managed to get something on my dry clean only dress which is weird as I only drank water and didnt come into much contact with food :evil:
The food was.... cold pizza, hot dogs, deep fried chicken and springs rolls, followed by those mini chocolate rolls :o I think done on a very tight budget!!! I didn’t eat much...
The groom seems a really lovely chap. He was a big shot trader but gave it all up ten years ago and radically down sized. He and his wife have just had a baby who was passed from groom to bride to family member to friend throughout the evening and even shared the first dance with her parents. She watched everything with vague interest and was phased by nothing. Not even the noisy band. Not a peep out of her. Astonishing.
Anyway glad that’s over! Hoping to get some Norwich time in the morning. If I wake early may nip out with my camera before OH is up. (He has friends staying in the same hotel...) and with luck squeeze on Bungay and Stradbroke graveyards :) I’ll be looking for McKains and Godbolts among others.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 23rd, 2019, 10:43 pm

Sounds a very laid back event Herbi ... not sure about the food tho :|
I used to live in the next village to Stradbroke and my ex and my children went to school there ... my ex also knew a Mrs Dolly Goldbold/t (?) who was landlady of a nearby village pub.
Hope your hotel bedroom is comfortable. Sweet dreams.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 23rd, 2019, 11:03 pm

I love the name Godbolt. I am not really related, but they are in my tree. Your Dolly probably is related to them.

Bedroom v nice but I can hear music. Not too bad though. I think l‘ll be ok :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2019, 8:47 am

Sounds a perfect wedding from the heart Herbi rather than the sort where too much money is spent and no-one really enjoys it. I think I've mentioned before I once went to what I will loosely call a reception, where huge chicken legs and jam sandwiches (made from sliced white bread cut into half diagonally) comprised the buffet - yours was veritable feast (and things most people secretly quite like!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 24th, 2019, 10:54 am

Apart from it being greasy and cold :D
They had personalised Smarties with their joint photo and names on them too, though :)
Just spent a pleasant hour and a half wandering round town while OH tried to surface. It’s lovely. Making me have ‘want to leave London’ thoughts again.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 24th, 2019, 11:07 am

Good morning
So it’s done Herbi
I like Norwich, my French OH was convinced that an English cathedral town was absolutely the best place to live, he fancied Winchester but that was largely because he fancied my friend’s house!

I just ordered the bolero I need for the 4th January wedding, I was eyeing it up on Friday and this morning I got sent a Black Friday offer so I grabbed it. Will also be good for packing as an evening cover up

Have a good day every one
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 11:16 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

It’s not a bad place to be is it Herbi 8-) But Suffolk is to die for :luv:

If you want to look at Dolly’s old pub four miles from Stradbroke is The Royal Oak in Laxfield (before that she kept Dennington Bell at Owl’s Green, a tiny hamlet between Dennington and Laxfield).

Behind The Royal Oak is the wonderful Low House https://lowhouselaxfield.com/ where you can get good beer and good food and can’t help but unwind. I used to live at the end of the little lane 8-) If you decide to come back to the area they do a very good B&B. Enjoy Suffolk :D

I’ve planted lots of crocus and rearranged some pots for the winter, moving them into a sheltered corner against the house wall. The big container of mediterranean herbs and the sempervivums have taken up their usual spot under the table on the terrace so they don’t get too wet. OH will move the heavy containers to a sheltered spot today or tomorrow in the hope that the terra-cotta doesn’t get frost damaged :luv:
Have a lovely Sunday all :D

Edited to add: on the road from Stradbroke to Laxfield you’ll pass a turning to the wonderfully named Cake Street ... be warned ... it is a misnomer, as is Gin Lane at the other end of the village :rolleyes: :lol:
Last edited by suffolk on November 24th, 2019, 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 24th, 2019, 1:20 pm

good whatever, all.
not raining at the moment. the met office say we are on reprieve for another couple of hours.
the talk and demonstration, yesterday, was quite good. the chap admitted he didn't like doing talks so i wasn't expecting a polished performance.
as i was passing i dropped into waitrose for my monthly or bi-monthly visit.
among other things (which, incidentally added up to £10.26) i bought a jar of pickled walnuts so i will be attempting them later. i got my free newspaper, the magazine and cup of coffee to go. i'm not sure they make a profit out of my visits.
the main thing i went for was tapioca flour so i would have bought a little more if they'd had it.
it will definitely be the jobs delayed from friday, today.
have a good afternoon, everyone.

ps. if there's one phrase that i have had more than enough of is the one that i now hear as - get breakfast done - i wish i had a magic electric zapper to give an unpleasant shock to every bore who parrots it out. there's a woman saying, on the radio at the moment, that every time it's said is good for the conservatives. she's definitely barking up the wrong tree in the sphere i move in. it's a tired old cliché now.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 24th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Apart from it being greasy and cold

Oh dear.... have to say I think one could put on a much nicer budget wedding spread. But glad the day went well Herbi.... :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Scully ... start with small pieces of the pickled walnut on a wedge of cheese ... don’t pop a whole one in at once :o !!!
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I like to linger over breakfast :lol: :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2019, 9:55 am

good morning, all.
overcast but not too cold.
you and me both, earthmaiden, i couldn't work out if the meal i had yesterday was breakfast lunch or dinner! i spent a few hours trying to cancel an amzn prime trial that had wheedled its way in without my knowledge and which wouldn't allow me to cancel even by following all the directions. in the end i found the way to get in touch with their customer services and they canceled it for me.
if (when) it happens again i will go straight there and not bother trying to do it by myself.
they don't do themselves any favours. my partner (who also had a go for me) has removed himself from amzn altogether. he says he can still look at the reviews but can't be bothered with people who make life that difficult for other's (and don't pay their fair share of taxes).
nothing planned for today but i've been asked to work tomorrow - which works for me as i have a tiling/plumbing/painting bill coming up (i may also get paid for the teapot this week - at last).
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 25th, 2019, 10:38 am

I signed up to Prime by mistake once too. They don't make it easy to leave. I am very careful now, it's hard to avoid Amazon altogether but I do try!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2019, 10:47 am

i thought i was hyper-vigilant, too!
this is the second time it's happened to me - the only way i knew was by not seeing the standard free delivery when i got to the checkout, just free next day delivery. neither time have i actively (or knowingly) signed up for prime.
i try not to use them, too, unless it's the only place i can find something (at the 'right' price) - it doesn't help that both abe books and the book depository are owned by amzn now - they will soon be a monopoly in the book world!
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop