good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » December 8th, 2019, 7:32 pm

gosh they are big! sure they aren't lynxes‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 8th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Love to all the poorly cats - vets and cat's teeth have a habit of emptying the purse :( , Most of mine ended up toothless in old age but it didn't seem to stop them eating all but crunchy biscuits. One of mine had thyroid problems but medication put it right. Hope it was just worms and that Basil & Lily are soon doing well.

The vacuum sounds good.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2019, 8:10 am

Morning. Cloudy and quite dark. Sunshine later?
Nothing planned for today other than the usual. I could get on with some physics background reading. Or mermaid stories.I do appreciate the potential diversity or reasearch topics at work. I am thrilled about being put on a physics book, although it's still early days, so I may be taken off it or it may not happen.

Hopefully I will get the blood test results this morning. If either of them does have an on-going condition, that's going to make going on holiday very difficult from here on as the cats hide when the cat feeders come round. I think it would be cruel to put them in a cattery given their personalities. I knew I shouldn't have dared to start planning a Deep South American road trip! Just asking for trouble ;)
Ha Lily just came into the room limping! :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » December 9th, 2019, 8:55 am

We had one hell of a storm last night shortly after going to bed.
Gale force wind winds hammered torrential rain against the bedroom wall, it sounded like it was coming in, never heard anything like it before.
Sunny now though
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 9:10 am

good morning, all.
yes, a bit breezy for the last couple of days but it's beginning to decrease and there's sun expected later ∴ bread.
i'm off to spend the day with the girls. my partner has been given instructions to medicate the cat.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2019, 10:19 am

What do you re meds for cat if you go away, Scully?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2019, 10:46 am

Good morning all

Getting windier here now ... really quite blustery but at least the rain has stopped. However, I am still coughing. Apparently I kept waking someone up :rolleyes:

Hope all pusscats are feeling fit very soon.

More christmas cards to write .... have a good day folks ... :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2019, 11:15 am

Just rang the vets', as they had not rung me, and the receptionist said that the vet would ring me after lunch to 'go through everything' with me... :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 9th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Oh dear, everything crossed Herbi...
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 9th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Oh Herbi- do keep us posted.... :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2019, 1:46 pm

I think receptionists always say that! Hope all's well, some cat feeders will come to the house and happily administer medication - I had a gem of a lady (a previous lady had refused to even try). You might have to keep some doors shut to prevent them hiding though!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Apparently Basil has hyperthryoidism. No more details than that as yet.

Lily's tests came back fine.

My cat sitters will give medication, but as I said, they hide.

Anyway will wait and see what the vet says before I start worrying about this. The locum vet we saw said there is a topical version of the medication. No doubt will cost the earth, but if possible would help.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Herbidacious wrote:What do you re meds for cat if you go away, Scully?

thankfully, this is only the second time he's needed meds (the other was for a scratch on his eye when he was young) and his sister has only ever needed the vet when she was spayed so it's never occurred.
fortunately, when their mother had to have medication after a breast cancer op it was also finished just before we were due to go away so, no, it's not something we've encountered (yet?).
i could probably get a friend to do it if the need arose in the future, though.

they are pretty easy to give worm tablets etc to.
i have the knack but my partner 'cheated', after trying for a while, by put the three half, antibiotic tablets into some soft centred, cat treats, which were wolfed down. he didn't give the analgesic as he didn't feel adept at opening the cat's mouth to squirt it in.
the cat obviously likes it so he could have put it on a saucer and i think the cat would have licked it up - he licks the end of the syringe after it's been squirted in - the cat, not my partner.
Last edited by scullion on December 9th, 2019, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Ah I somehow had it in my head that one of your cats was hyperthyroid too.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 4:18 pm

no, i think that was a previous cat of eartmaiden's that had thyroid problems. if the boy had hyperthyroidism he might move a bit more!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Mmm it might explain his increasingly annoying behaviour around food and persistent meowing early in the morning to be fed/let out. Or maybe not. We assumed, possibly rightly, that we'd just done a bad job with him. I wonder how long he's had it... the weight loss is since the last visit.

No explanation for Lily's weight loss, but not spoken to the vet yet.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2019, 5:12 pm

We picked it up with Bumble one hot day when she started panting loudly, it was horrible. Once sorted, she had a tablet every day and lived until she was 19. A topical version would have been great but I did actually learn to get them down her throat like they would at the vets. It took a while!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Thanks EM. Basil had a panting session in the summer. We thought he’d been frightened, at the time. Maybe it was that.

I think the topical one is a last resort (been reading up on it.) My cat sitter has some ideas on things... she is very kind. She even volunteered to go to the vets with me.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 9th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I've never managed the 'pill down the throat' bit but have succeeded consistently with the 'crush pill up with a wee bit of tuna or meat paste' trick.

Glad Basil has a diagnosis Herbi and hope Lily proves to be OK :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 7:59 am

Thanks. I hope the vet will ring me today and give more info. I am not sure that I have had to pill Basil before. With Lily I have used pill pockets but not available in the UK readily, or hidden a pill inside one of those sausage-like snacks. There is a risk that a cat will get bored of this. There is a liquid option, but problems with having two cats, although apparently you can get microchip controlled feeding bowls with lids. I am hoping I can flit between the two methods. Basil is very food-obssessed so this may count in my favour, although perhaps he will be less food obsessed once the meds kick in. I m hoping that his behaviour might improve too.

Up early but not yet dressed. Waiting for husband to finish getting up. He is coughing and wheezing a lot again, sigh. Trying to persuade him to get a doctor's appointment.

Gorgeous sunrise.

My one Christmas thing tonight - dinner with some writing group friends. I think this is our third year of doing it. I am looking forward to it. There will be writing as well though... :? :D

Dinosaurs was finally passed for press yesterday. (Should have been in May.) Here is a sneak preview. I probably still can't really mention the issues we have had with the illustrator. They beggar belief. His name is not on it at his request.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fold-Out-Dinos ... 729&sr=8-1
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 10th, 2019, 8:35 am

good morning, all.
windy again and a bit dark - but maybe that's cos we only had sunrise twenty minutes ago although i think we're in heavy rain mode, too.
i'm off to yoga in an hour. i haven't been for about three weeks and i'm not sure i would go today if that hadn't been the scenario as i've a slight twinge in my back. i'm not going to push it. i will stick to old lady level.
this will possibly be followed by shopping - i don't think i can put it off much longer and i won't be able to do it tomorrow.
the toothless cat has settled down on the bed for the day. i think he's feeling much better - he started answering back, yesterday.
he's going to get less of the pouched food soon. he may have something to say about that, too - staring at the bowl won't cut the mustard, either.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » December 10th, 2019, 8:35 am

Dull and rainy here, off to pick up my sack of flour today from Dunster Mill this morning, although in hindsight is a 50 mile round tip worth it, only the first loaf can answer that.
Hope all your pets are o/k, I think we worry more about them than we did our own kids.
Have a good day
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » December 10th, 2019, 8:47 am

naa- i consider them sycophantic, wild animals who know where their bread's buttered - and the cats are worse.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 8:56 am

Dunster seems to have gone all out for weekend Christmassy events this year, maybe you'll catch some of the magic if you stop off there! They had a candlelit evening all over the town including castle and railway as the lighting event. I expect it was crowded as coaches from everywhere were invited but must have been pretty.

Dinosaurs look good Herbi, took me back to one of the books my father wrote about fossils in the 50s. The cover illustration was a dinosaur with its skeleton tail going round to and across the back cover which was quite a talking point at the time. Still looks good now!

Cats even go off pouched foods after a while, usually when you've just bought some in bulk.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby hickybank » December 10th, 2019, 9:04 am

earthmaiden wrote:Dunster seems to have gone all out for weekend Christmassy events this year, maybe you'll catch some of the magic if you stop off there! They had a candlelit evening all over the town including castle and railway as the lighting event. I expect it was crowded as coaches from everywhere were invited but must have been pretty.

Dinosaurs look good Herbi, took me back to one of the books my father wrote about fossils in the 50s. The cover illustration was a dinosaur with its skeleton tail going round to and across the back cover which was quite a talking point at the time. Still looks good now!

Hi earthmaiden, we went to Dunster by candlelight which was a bit of a con, it was on Fri/Sat, we went Saturday but the candlelight procession was only on Friday (no mention of the in the flier) it was o/k but next ti9me we will go on the Friday

Cats even go off pouched foods after a while, usually when you've just bought some in bulk.
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 9:18 am

Oh that's a shame. Our local coach company was doing trips, as was one near a friend in Norfolk so it must have been packed on the main night.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 10:26 am

earthmaiden wrote:Cats even go off pouched foods after a while, usually when you've just bought some in bulk.

Oooh yes! I usually find not much more than a day on another type resets mine though. They always return to Felix, preferably one of the more up market versions. I hope we don't have to fall back exclusively on Brexit 'just in case' supplies which consists of two bumper packs of the more basic Felix.

Thanks re dinos. It really does look quite stunning. I think I can say this, as I just wrote the words :) (Which was bascially an admin job.) It folds out to about 1m - tricky to physically handle when proofing!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2019, 10:32 am

Good morning all
I'll try not to breathe near you :rolleyes:
OH has gone to work ... I have soup for lunch and he says mushroom omelette will be fine for supper. That's today sorted then ... I shall continue my slow journey down the christmas card list. I'm finding my concentration is rubbish at the moment but OH has helpfully pointed out that my chest is so congested that my brain is probably a bit low on oxygen :rolleyes: This is getting boring. However, a few cards a day are getting done ...
Interestingly when we had cats Felix was always their food of choice.
Have a good day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 10th, 2019, 10:45 am

Herbidacious wrote:Dinosaurs was finally passed for press yesterday. (Should have been in May.) Here is a sneak preview. I probably still can't really mention the issues we have had with the illustrator. They beggar belief. His name is not on it at his request.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fold-Out-Dinos ... 729&sr=8-1

That looks lovely Rachel ... what age group is it aimed at ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 10:53 am

Have you taken your temperature Suffs? When I had a horrid thing like that a couple of years ago I ended up going to the walk in clinic (first thing in morning to avoid queue) I felt so awful, it hadn't occured to me I might have a high temperature. They made quite a fuss about it and I ended up on antibiotics and careful monitoring. I would normally have just sat out a thing like that.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2019, 10:55 am

I had a slight temp the first couple of days ... I'm one of those folk that'll have a temperature at the slightest thing ... it's absolutely normal now. It's just congestion and coughing and I'm feeling crabby about it :oops: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 11:15 am

Good morning
I always take my temperature, it’s seldom up, but if it is I know to stop pushing myself, take paracetamol, and give in
My thermometer thinks my normal temp is quite low, when they took my temp pre-op I checked with the nurse, she got the exact same value on her super duper thermometer and said it’s quite usual to be below the NHS range of 36.2 to 37.6 C at least for part of the day.
The point of which is that I think it’s worth having a digital thermometer (£2 at local chemist) and knowing what it registers when you are feeling well as you probably aren’t “standard”

Cats run hot, poor Basil. I thought I’d got the knack of giving Rani tablets but I found a few she’d spat out behind the toaster when the course was supposedly complete. I wonder if they could give liquids to squirt on the back of the tongue like they do with babies? Not my field.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2019, 11:20 am

My temp has always been on the low side of normal, even as a child. Ma once told the GP that if my temp was normal I was probably ill ... she was proved right ... it was scarlet fever.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 12:07 pm

It says 6+ on the info for the other/first book in the series, Pat. Most of the text consists in data, really.

Sue they do a liquid version which they reocmmend you squirt down their throats, but which can also be put in food. I am hoping it will be possible to use both. The vet still hasn't rung.

Basil and Lily had Felix as kittens, so I thought that's perhaps why they always return to it. I think Freckie had Whiskas.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 12:23 pm

I just found this photo of Freckle, taken in our very grotty house in Tottenham, c.2000. :D

The back story for the photo is a little sad. I suspect she was already suffering from (undiagnosed) kidney disease. It was getting increasingly hard to get her to eat much, so we started feeding her in the sitting room as, like most cats, she preferred a bit of company while eating, and it helped. She didn't get the diagnosis until about 6 years after this, by which time she didn't have that long to live. I don't know why the vets didn't pick up on it sooner, given the way her fur was going.

8641642126_b5d6b14c7d_c.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 12:54 pm

She didn't do badly then! Apart from recommending a certain kind of food, there used not to be much they did for kidney disease. One of mine would sometimes start behaving as though she was drunk and then the vet would have her in on some kind if drip for the night and she'd be fine afterwards. She died at 21. I've got one of those black and white IKEA creatures!!! You may be beginning to see why I decided not to have any more cats, it was like a geriatric home for several years with 4 elderly cats!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Not sure what happened to the Ikea toy. Freckle was probably about 14 when she died. Not sure as didn't have her from a kitten.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 1:38 pm

They still don’t seem to do much for kidney disease, treat any sign of infection and strict diet. I used to keep double cream so I could give Sam Cat spoonfuls for the calories, and enjoyment, but not all cats are keen

ETA actually replied of course to say nice pic of Freckles and her #1 fan!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Lily adores cream. I think she can smell it (or read my mind). She always rushes into the room meowing, however quiet I am, whatever type it is, when I have some.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Yeah right. This is how it's going to go...

https://youtu.be/D-R383L64LI

Apparently it's an 'other or' with tablets vs liquid and the liquid is supposed to be on an empty stomach so not in food.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 10th, 2019, 4:31 pm

why is our female cat doing you tube videos without giving us a some of her earnings! that cat is the spitting image of ours.
i used to give our first cat tablets that way but it was still a fight and didn't always work - he was brilliant at getting his paws out of the towel at the neckline unless you almost strangled him with it and we'd still get lacerated.
the cats we've had since then have been laid along my legs, on their backs, i put my hand over their faces/eyes and gently push my thumb and forefinger in the gap in their front and back teeth then, with the other hand drop the tablets into the back of their mouths. it's really quick and virtually no struggling and rarely get ejected.
meatycam (that's what i'm calling it) obviously has cat appeal cos he licks the end of the syringe after its been squirted in.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2019, 4:46 pm

:D scully. You have a beautiful cat, then.

People on my FB cat forum say surgery is a good idea...

Meanwhile, I have just heard that a friend has just had a breast cancer diagnosis. She's only 43. Worries about Basil pale somewhat.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 10th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Oh Herbi.... :hug: :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Oh dear Herbi :hug:

The cat is clearly unimpressed by the vet’s attempt to treat PDSA as a pronounceable word.

If you ever have to give a cat eye drops, it’s easiest done holding the cat against your chest, facing out, in front of a mirror
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 7:32 pm

I found you had to tip the cat's head back more than they show there, otherwise you get the swallow but still find the pill behind the sofa later :rolleyes:. Crushing up in food is quite reliable, especially if it is a small amount if food they are likely to finish (such as chicken).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 11th, 2019, 8:36 am

Morning. Running a bit late. But then my ttain and the next has been cancelled so...
Had a nice dinner with writing friends last night - food was quite good, but the company was better.
I somehow managed to mash the predicatment re Basil's treatment with genealogy, Facebook and a computer game together in my dreams.

I am going to think about doing my Christmas cards this evening. 'Foreign' ones already sent.
I might make some dinner if I'm not too tired, but as my mother missed out on a phone call last night, it may be a longer one to her.
I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 11th, 2019, 8:37 am

good morning, all.
dark, wet and breezy.
off to the farm. i have realised that i'm going in earlier than necessary. the rota i've been sent says i'm only paid from ten rather than half nine - so i'm going in for ten and see if anyone says anything. i'm also bus driving tonight.
i may end up having two christmas meals today.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 11th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Herbidacious wrote:It says 6+ on the info for the other/first book in the series, Pat. Most of the text consists in data, really.

So would suit a child of 9 ? I think this little boy would love it ... it will have to be a very belated birthday/christmas present ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 11th, 2019, 6:53 pm

StokeySue wrote:My thermometer thinks my normal temp is quite low,

suffolk wrote:My temp has always been on the low side of normal,

And mine too ... a few years ago I had to take my temperature (under my arm) immediately on waking for a week as part testing for an under-active thyroid ... however bloods and other stuff was all within normal range :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop