[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - good morning +

good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » January 6th, 2020, 11:31 am

good morning, all.
raining big wet heavy rain - with a bit of a breeze.
the stove has been kindled into life.
an impromptu (but welcome) visitor has gone, dobby has done the floor and i have folded and put away the washing.
i feel like reading my book, on the sofa but there's loads of stuff i should be doing so i have to weigh up the feelings of guilt with the satisfaction of 'escape' into another reality.
delia's celery soup has leek and potato in it so we were pretty much on the same track! (it should've had two leeks in but i only had one and i think that was probably enough anyway).
have you tried your consignment, patsy? what did you think of them?
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 6th, 2020, 11:44 am

I’ve just looked up that recipe for celery soup. It’s on the list for this week.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 6th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I will look up the celery soup but the sun has come out so my walk beckons
Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 6th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Good after morning all

This morning was a busy one ... loading and unloading the washing machine, setting a batch of yoghurt on the go, making a loaf of bread and making a batch of pheasant and black pudding pasties (see pheasant thread) ... finishing off with poached eggs on toast for OH and cuppasoup for me ... OH spent a large part of the morning removing detritus from outside drains and disinfecting :sprout: He deserved a nice lunch :tu: But at least he couldn't smell the drains 'cos his head is so stuffed up :lol:

As we had a somewhat disturbed night (see Cbox) a lazy afternoon is planned.

Have a good day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2020, 8:49 am

good morning, all.
overcast but not raining.
glad i didn't hold my breath.
off to the farm in an hour. not sure what i'm going to do with the guys - it would be a little easier if there was stuff available to do things with!
by the way, when i said i only put one leek in the soup - i put all of it in, not just the white part so it was probably equal to the two (white parts only) that delia stated.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2020, 9:34 am

Good morning all
We’ve both slept in :shock: and are still in bed !!!
The morning looks quite bright out there ... a family of starlings are disporting themselves on the tv aerial opposite, male blackbirds are chasing each other over the fence tops and and sparrows are flittering about the gardens. Things change so much after the winter solstice.
I always use all of a leek ... the green part too .... and the tougher outer leaves and the tops of the green part are saved in the veg draw in the fridge and used in stocks. Love leeks :D
I suppose I’d better finish this coffee and get up ... have a lovely day all :D

Edited to correct autocorrect who thought I meant the starlings were ‘distorting themselves’ :rolleyes:
Last edited by suffolk on January 7th, 2020, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 10:04 am

Good morning
Overcast out there, warm, some chance of rain later but it’s brightening a bit
Will be going out to visit my friend in the awkwardly located (for me) Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, so that will take all afternoon, bet my parcels arrive while I’m out, though yesterday I found the “Sorry we missed you” card which was of course left while I was in and available :twisted:

Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 7th, 2020, 10:10 am

There is a bit of blue sky now.

I hope you mange to get your parcels. It's a constant bugbear that many delivery companies don't routinely do weekends/out of office hours (less of an issue for you, I guess.) There is a market for this. I have also had a lot pof parcels registered as delievered to work when they haven't and actually can't have been. They either turn up a few days later or don't.
Hermes seem pretty good at the moment. DPD is rubbish.

Not much planned for me other than taking in editorial coments on philosophy (potentially not a small task.) These were delivered orally, yesterday, in a two hour and a half meeting! Exhausting.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 7th, 2020, 11:01 am

Touch & go here, just walked down to my local butchers, great bloke all local meats & Tuesday is 10% OAP day. a little sun but clouds now threaten.
Today is bulk Bolognese Sauce day, always a great standby, chuck some Chilli Beans in & you have Chilli Con Carne.
Have a good day
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 12:13 pm

My parcel turned up at 10 am
It was the new tube for the study central light, which I was a little bit desperate for
I’ve fitted it fine but can’t get the glass cover back on :rolleyes:
I’m getting a small collection of them
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 8th, 2020, 6:56 am

good morning, all.
dark - and i can hear rain.
i have to be at the farm by eight - it's a bit early for me - i don't think i'll be doing it again - i don't know why i said yes - must have been in a very good mood or insane at the time.
better head for the shower.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 8th, 2020, 8:52 am

Grey here too, lousy nights sleep again, I suffer with hot feet in bed, caused by nerve damage through all the walking I have done over the years.
Doc says there is nothing to cure it so have to put up with it.
Have a good day
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2020, 9:48 am

Could you use an ice pack, Terry?

Weirdly i have had two half decent nights' sleep for the last two nights hafter ten days of 3amers. I can only conlcude that I have been going to bed too late. Tonight may not be so good as I have a writing meeting. (Always have prblems sleeping after these - over stimulated and later night, I suppose.)

Dramatic sky this morning.

49349188348_aed903f1c5_c.jpg
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2020, 10:12 am

Good morning
Lovely pic Herbi

Grey here, but warm. I woke up very early, think I was too hot under the winter duvet. Did doze after. My feet have been cold for decades, it’s normal

I ought to get on I suppose, out later for a Thai lunch and a medical appointment

Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 8th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Hi Herby, ice pack don't work they would have to be strapped to me feet, and last all night.
Last night was a really bad one as they played up all night, I went outside & stood in a cold puddle of rainwater but the relieve does not last long
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » January 8th, 2020, 3:25 pm

i know it sounds weird but how about a large rock? we have a couple of large, rounded lumps of serpentine, that sit on a grill above the stove (multi fuel), warming, and which stay warm for most of the night (i take one to bed, wrapped up, instead of a hot water bottle). maybe a similar would stay cold for the night , for you to put your feet on when needed?
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 8th, 2020, 3:41 pm

It is a thought sully,although whatever I put my feet on needs to be very cold all night. I very often fill a bowl with cold water & stand in it for a few minutes but that is only a temporary fix.
My doctor prescribed sleeping tablets I tripled the dose, it made not a sccap of difference, I need to go back
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » January 8th, 2020, 3:49 pm

our rocks (about the size of a cottage loaf) can feel very cold if i forget to put them back on the stove! i doubt your feet could warm them that much as they would be dumping heat to the other side of them all the time. might be worth a try - try a garden centre - or nick someones curling stone! (i would suggest a beach - but that would be illegal - wouldn't it? - ehem!)
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2020, 4:19 pm

You can buy cool packs designed to wrap around things like knees. They wouldn't last all night but may help you to go to sleep?

A friend with peripheral neuropathy was considering using ice packs with drinks fridge near her bed to swap them over in the night. Not sure if she did and/or how successful this was.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 8th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Or these?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NatraCure-Cold ... 7490&psc=1

Although not sure it's a good idea to keep them on all night...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2020, 12:05 pm

good morning, all.
raining. the forecast yesterday said we would have a bit of full sun at ten this morning - wrong. it says we are going to have hail at four let's wait and see.
i had a very long day yesterday. out shortly after half seven, back for a couple of hours after three - enough to get a short sit down, a bowl of soup and a phone call to ask if i'd drive one of the buses to pick up a couple of chaps - and finally home shortly after ten.
i didn't wake up early this morning (and made sure my alarm was most definitely off) - other than by a cat who has the idea that he needs confirmation of life as it starts to get light and doesn't stop until he gets a reaction to his gentle head butting. maybe i'll do the same to him in a little while.
i dropped into aldi in truro last night, on the way back, so i wouldn't have to go out and buy fruit etc today but they had virtually nothing, no oranges, pears or bananas so i bought five grapefruit (and a bunch of spring onions). the only other fruit was pineapples - and we have one of those.
it looks like it might be brightening up a little.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 9th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Re hot feet
I am very near a beach with round smooth stones, I could always borrow one :oops: :oops:
The socks get a good write up but whether I could get them on & back to bed & sleep in 20 mins could be an issue, although they are not overpriced.

Thanks all for your suggestions, have a good day
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Good noon
We have brilliant sun after overnight rain, but I’m sitting inside as I feel rubbish after having an eye treatment and a bit of a shock as it turns out I’ve more active problems than we thought, though we think it can be contained
So bit of a duvet day, though I should pop out for fruit myself, there appears to be a lime and two tomatoes remaining, which won’t get me far
Should make the WI meeting tonight, but I think we are winding up the group, so not all sweetness and light. Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 9th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Sue.... :hug: :hug:

Hope things improve on all fronts.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 9th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Hope you get some good news re your eyes Sue.

Re the WI - we have struggled on this last year, but we are a small group only 18 and it’s difficult getting enough people to stand for officer positions. We always think that urban institutes have it easier, obviously not.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Thanks both, just have to have more frequent treatments for a while and hope that kills the bleeding that must have occurred just before Christmas, first time in 4 years :(
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear that Sue ... fingers firmly crossed for you here :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Oh dear Sue. I am sorry. I do hope they can sort it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 9th, 2020, 4:37 pm

:hug: :hug: Sue, you must be feeling fed up. Thank goodness you are getting the best treatment.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 9th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Sorry to hear you are unwell Sue. fingers crossed your health & the weather pick up,
look for a silver lining. get well soon
hickybank
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 9th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Oh Sue, what a pain. Sending a hug. :hug:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2020, 8:43 pm

that's a bummer, sue. fingers crossed for 'containment'.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 9th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Total bums news Sue. I hope that the gloomy prognosis is exaggerated.

Hicky, can you stick your feet out of bed? Mine are mostly frozen all day and boil at night, it is annoying.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 9th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Hi miss mouse I have tried that & even on a freezing cold night ( we never have the heating on in the bedroom) it makes no difference.
I will be talking to my doctor next week to see what else I can try.
Thanks
hickybank
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 9th, 2020, 11:19 pm

Sue - Hope you feel better soon and the eyes can get sorted out :hug: :hug:

Hicky - sounds painful - hope your Dr can suggest something to help :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2020, 8:44 am

Morning. Dull again. Sunshine promised at lunchtime though - well now there's a change. The weather usually shifts to rain during our official office lunch hour (and at 'home time'.) ;
I get to leave at 4 today. I think I am home alone this weekend, so marmalade making session. The Seville oranges should come in my Ocado order tonight...!
Lots of tricky editorial changes to make on philosophy, today, post editorial director looking at it. Feeling very irritated/frustrated in a way I wouldn't with any other book. After this it goes to the next director up, then to the owner of the company who has taken a great, if sceptial, interest in it :o actuallly the directors are very sceptical too. They are all very anti-philosophy people (think it's a waste of time), as is my editor.

I hope everyone's day goes well.
Friday! Hurray! It's been a long (first) week (back).
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 10th, 2020, 9:26 am

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 10th, 2020, 9:39 am

Fans Patsy, I think my doctor may have considered those las5t time, I will see what she says this week.Lousy night again last night, lost track of how many times I got up
despite taking 2 sleeping pills & now I just feel drained,
Have a good day everyone.

Herby
What recipe do you use for your Marmalade, I hope to pick some up this week, last year I used Delia's
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2020, 9:50 am

good morning, all.
sunny - bread is proving.

don't they know how popular 'sophie's world' was/is, herbi?
the sooner you can introduce kids to thinking about stuff, other than themselves, the better!

low tide is about eleven - and as it's a full moon at the moment it's quite a low, low tide so we may, depending on how much sand is around, get a reasonably long walk - though i doubt all the way to chapel.
nothing much else planned although i may take the luxury of a nap later. i was woken at about half four by a cat producing a couple of massive fur balls - i may get a carding brush to her later!
coffee was put in my hand ten minutes ago - all's right with my world.
have you been checked for diabetes or vit b deficiency, hicky?

ps. oops, didn't see that patsy had mentioned d.melitus while i was looking at something else half way through my post.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2020, 10:04 am

Good morning
I have no experience of these peripheral neuropathies other than one trial we did on neuropathic pain, which means I read the text book. It seemed to be very much a case of try everything and see what works for you.

Quiet day here, Ipwill try to get a bit more filing done
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 10:13 am

Good morning all

Very low spring tide at the moment Scully. OH is checking his shifts today to see whether we can get to Cromer on Sunday to see this https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/low-tides- ... -1-6458263

It’s a long time since I last saw it ... its visibility depends on a combination of a spring tide and the weather and longshore drift having washed the sands off to reveal it.

I was thinking that maybe some brisk sea air might help clear this ‘acking cawf :evil: :rolleyes:

Have a good day all.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2020, 10:19 am

Taking magnesium has almost cured my awful restless leg sydrome (gave up going to the cinema at one point.) However the spray gave me the most intense itching ever. Some tablets make me nauseous. I have pretty much semi-scientifically boiled this down to them containing magnesium citrate, which most but, thankfully, not all do. There are other forms available

Looking it up, I notice that flushing can be caused by magnesium citrate too... I don't know if it's a general magnesium thing or specific to citrate.

Magnesium citrate is sometimes put in other suppliments too which are not primarily magesium ones. These make me feel sick as well.

Scully, the book is going ahead, so they see the commerical potential. (Although I am sure they don't hope to make a lot out of the book. It's part of a series. Sometimes subjects are tackled to complete the catalogue/series rather than because they think they will achieve commercial success.) But personal distaste still seeps through.

There is a movement to teach primary school children critical thinking, and there are books out there. Unless this book is hated, my next side task will be to come up with a pitch for such a book.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 10th, 2020, 10:27 am

Hi SCully, yes I had a full blood test last time I went. seem's I am in rude health apart from my feet.
It has been put down to all the walking I have done over the years
Apart from 6 long distance footpaths, was a member of a long distance walking team, this entailed power walking of distance up to 50 miles a day
So although I do not regret it, seems now I am paying the price.
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 2:04 pm

I was just wondering whether one of these https://www.revitive.com/revitive-medic ... gK-ivD_BwE as advertised by that other walker, Ian Botham, might help? Might be worth some research ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2020, 2:10 pm

My dad had one of those. He said it was c**p. He gave it to us, it is c**p.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 2:18 pm

I feared they might be :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2020, 2:25 pm

who has told you it's from the walking? if it was the doctor, you have to remember that they spend very little time learning about the feet. it would be better to go to a podiatrist, who has spent three or more years just on the lower limb.
i have not heard of a neurological effect like that from walking (or running) unless you have damaged nerves - either from a lumbar spinal injury (which you'd have other effects with) or from something systemic, for that sort of bilateral affect.
there are other, more obscure, possibilities - like chrome cured leather in shoes but that's not that common a reaction.
alcohol, smoking, and age are other reasons and which often cause deficiencies like vit b12 (- which effects the permeability of capillaries, especially in the lower extremities - good old gravity).
have you tried raising the foot end of the bed by a few inches? putting a couple of bricks under each (bed) leg might help.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Seeing a podiatrist would make a lot of sense to me
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 10th, 2020, 4:23 pm

To the best of my knowledge it is nerve damage.
AS part of my training to toughen up the feet I used to walk barefoot around the house & garden, (I still do out of habit) I have been told that is what has caused it.
A bit late now but back then that was the advice.
Just got back from a cracking walk in the Quantox which involved fording the same stream 5 times before reaching the crest of the hill, very strenuous but got the heart pumping, out for a beer tonight to undo all the good :lol: :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2020, 5:27 pm

scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop