good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » January 22nd, 2020, 8:45 am

Good morning, all.
Dry but overcast with a threat of heavy rain later.
There is decent coffee here - I bought it, and my aeropress, with us.
My partner has already gone down for breakfast so I suppose I should probably get a wiggle on, too.
Have good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2020, 10:15 am

Good morning
Gloomy and cloudy here but not as cold as yesterday
Need to get going, visiting a friend recovering from hip replacement this afternoon and have to do some shopping for her first.
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 22nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

Thanks, Hicky. I don't think I'll have time to go to the shops but have bookmarked that for next time. (I have a lot of passata in my freezer!)

I might just do a tomatoey stew - a tin of canneloni beans, maybe carrots (that need eating up) etc. Hmm not feelign very inspired by that idea though. Maybe I can just make a sauce and use it tomorrow... I really want to try the confit potatoes I did yesterday but they won't really go with a stew.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2020, 8:14 am

Morning. It's very dark. I was actually woken by by alarm clock (always switch it on, but usually switch it off before it goes off.)
Nothing besides work planned for today. I have a very bad back so not feeling like hitting the town (as if I ever do...)

I hope everyone has good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 23rd, 2020, 8:59 am

Good morning, all.
The curtains aren't open yet (although my partner has already gone down for breakfast) but I think it may yet again be overcast.
Better shift or i may miss said breakfast.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 23rd, 2020, 9:01 am

Overcast here to, Marmalade making today might make large pot of curry as well or Bread, so many choices I may lust have to sit & think about them :lol:
Have a good day
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 23rd, 2020, 9:57 am

Freudian slip?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2020, 10:09 am

:lol:

Good morning all

I’ve decided to pop out to a farm shop a few villages away to pick up some bits and pieces ... they stock very good dry goods, pulses etc and locally milled flours, as well as locally produced meat and dairy goods and tasty veg. Worth a bit of a trip ...

Have a good day all
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2020, 10:18 am

earthmaiden wrote:Freudian slip?
:D

Ah the joys of retirement, Hicky :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am

Good morning
Dreadfully dark here, given it’s 11 o’clock
No plans for today other than getting on with things so it won’t affect me much
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 23rd, 2020, 12:09 pm

Herbidacious wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:Freudian slip?
:D

Ah the joys of retirement, Hicky :)

And they told me I would be bored :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2020, 1:43 pm

Ah well ... the best laid plans etc ... long queues on the A140 as a car and lorry had collided :rolleyes: no one hurt and the car had been pushed into a field gateway but the lorry was too big to push so the single carriageway was partially blocked and there were long queues in each direction ... knowing the area reasonably well I decided to come home via the back roads only to find that a vital link in the route was totally closed for bridge repairs so an even longer (but more scenic) route via Harleston and Bungay was necessary. However ... I am home :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 23rd, 2020, 4:56 pm

Well, Marmalade made & jarred up, finished up with eleven jars plus one on the floor.
So frustrating as I only have vision in my left eye so anything to my right ( blind side ) tends to go flying, as it did in this case.
At the table the wine glass always has to be on my left, after too my flying glasses :lol:
I have had to put up with it for the last 40 years so kind of use to the occasional flying object.
The last one being a cut glass Brandy glass but hey ho could be a lot worse couldn't it
G&T in hand now( my ledft hand :lol: )
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2020, 5:30 pm

hickybank wrote:I only have vision in my left eye so anything to my right ( blind side ) tends to go flying

Same here, I am thinking of training myself to put my drinking glass to the left of my plate, breaking the habit of a lifetime
I't's wasting a lot of good drinks and I have broken nearly all my nice sherry glasses
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 23rd, 2020, 7:01 pm

StokeySue wrote:
hickybank wrote:I only have vision in my left eye so anything to my right ( blind side ) tends to go flying

Same here, I am thinking of training myself to put my drinking glass to the left of my plate, breaking the habit of a lifetime
I't's wasting a lot of good drinks and I have broken nearly all my nice sherry glasses

We are of kindred spirit then, pity it is the same eye we could have teamed up to balance I out :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2020, 7:07 pm

hickybank wrote:pity it is the same eye we could have teamed up to balance I out

The left eyes not a lot of use, but hanging in there, with treatment. I do have a little peripheral vision in the right eye
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 23rd, 2020, 7:28 pm

My left eye is not bad considering my age although driving at night is really a no no
When I was diagnosed with the condition in my early 30s my greatest fear was it would spread to the other eye, I was mightily relieved when I was told that would not happen & it never has. :kneel: :kneel:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 8:33 am

Morning. Dark again. Again, little on. I should go to LIverpool St and get my gold card added to my Oyster, but not sure I can be bothered. Feeling a bit blah inspite of it being Friday.

Lots of bird song in the garden though :) Blue tits definitely nesting in the hole next to the bathroom window. Was looking at nestcams yesterday (to put in a box). Not sure where to put one though. If we could put it round the front, or down the side near the front, we have an external power point. The blue tit hole/nest is about half way down the side. Might be too close? Not so sheltered either. Hmm.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2020, 8:51 am

Good morning, all.
The weather is overcast with a promise of rain - that's not on!
My partner's had a quick breakfast and rushed off. I, on the other hand, will get up in a minute, make a (decent) cup of coffed, ablute and head for breakfast at the last possible moment.
I'm thinking that I might try to see if the fado museum is open this time - it wasn't a couple of years ago.
I think I'm taking the day off from the conference ; today is going to be a bit techie and I want to see something before we leave, tomorrow - and to eat a pastel de nata - it.would be rude not to, surely?!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2020, 9:24 am

Herbidacious wrote:Was looking at nestcams yesterday (to put in a box). Not sure where to put one though. If we could put it round the front, or down the side near the front, we have an external power point. The blue tit hole/nest is about half way down the side. Might be too close? Not so sheltered either. Hmm.

My daughter and I bought one of these these for my BiL ... it was one of those where the camera is already fitted. He installed it where they already had birds nesting in a box ... this is on the front of their garage, above the door. Location is key, needs to be North/NE facing, quite open aspect where they feel safe coming and going. They switched theirs on yesterday.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 24th, 2020, 9:54 am

I've got friends with one which has a camera. It is close to their front door. It has been used each year for several years now. Wonderful to watch.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 24th, 2020, 10:02 am

Good morning started the day off with toast & the new Marmalade & I have to say it is pretty dam good, A approves so that says it all.
Bread making now, just about to start off a pot of curry, Mamta's Chicken Curry Bengali, our favourite. (Thanks Mamta)
Might make a large batch of soup, ||I call it my slops soup, any left overs at the end of the week gets put into a bag in the freezer, everything goes in as
long as it is edible, greens, left over pasta dishes, Crème Fraiche or Yogurt, nothing goes to waste, everyone tastes different but so far not had a bad one.
Enjoy your day
hickybank
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 24th, 2020, 10:16 am

hickybank wrote:So frustrating as I only have vision in my left eye

Mr S is the opposite to you and Sue- he only has vision in his right eye (left one is glass :D ). He's not prone to knocking things over (possibly because he lost the left eye when he was very young- a freak childhood accident involving one of those little spinning gyroscopes) but he does have a spatial awareness problem on that side (he sometimes walk into things and has to be really careful when reverse parking).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 10:30 am

You are in Lisbon Scully?! Another Wildie has just got back.

I think the Fado museum is open. I was going to go - primarily to buy OH as CD, but was too tired (to face the walk back up the hill and steps, although I needed up getting a taxi. The queue for the Castelo lift was just too long.)

btw jostaberry cuttings don't seem to be happening. I just put them in water. Maybe I need to try something else.

Patsy, the wall down the side of the house where the bluetits are already nesting, and where I was thinking of putting a box is west facing. But the bluetits’ nest will be sheltered by next door’s house. I suppose where I was thinking of putting a box would not be (we stick out a bit from neighbour, but maybe not significantly, looking at the Google street view. Which I see they updated. Newer car. and it was taken when the cherry blossom and lilac were out :) ). We don't have a north east facing wall (semi detached) and north would be the front of the house, which I suppose would be ok, and directly above the outdoor power point. However we were thinking of installing security lights, and this might disturb them?
Birds or security... Hmm.

Hicky I will be reboiling marmalade this weekend. (Oh joy.) First batch great, second runny (but tastes and looks rather good. Very tangy.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » January 24th, 2020, 11:24 am

The Fado museum was definitely open yesterday and the day before when we walked past! Absolutely loved Lisbon although my legs didn’t love the hills :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 24th, 2020, 11:37 am

Bread underway as is the Soup & Curry so busy in the kitchen today.
Seatallan
I lost my sight 40 years ago but still manage to knock things over, possible as I am very active in the kitchen as today so stuff all around me.
I lost my sight to a very rare condition, worldwide only one in every 250,000 suffer from it, aint I the lucky one.
What pees me off the most is visiting a new optician, I have never been to one that has seen my condition, so they spend more time looking ay my bad eye than my good that really annoys me
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 12:58 pm

smitch wrote:The Fado museum was definitely open yesterday and the day before when we walked past! Absolutely loved Lisbon although my legs didn’t love the hills :lol:

We were staying in Graça last October. I took quite a few cabs...! (Very cheap though.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Patsy, the wall down the side of the house where the bluetits are already nesting, and where I was thinking of putting a box is west facing. But the bluetits’ nest will be sheltered by next door’s house.

Well if they like that site, then you're good to go. It must be sheltered enough :tu: ... South facing is usually far too hot for them.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby smitch » January 24th, 2020, 1:18 pm

We were in Alfama but went to a tap room in Graça. Got the tram up there though, we had a Lisbon card that included public transport.
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 2:23 pm

I never did manage to use a tram. Our apartment was a 1 minute walk to the terminus. (There's a really nice cheese and wine restaurant down (literally) the road from there. Scully, if you are interested...?)
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 24th, 2020, 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Graça do Vinho, Calçada da Graça 10 A/B
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 24th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Gosh, we were in Lisbon a while ago, and we used the trams all the time,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2020, 6:31 pm

No, not in lisbon. The museum, although advertised last time as fado, is an 'ethnographic' museum. It took the woman on the front desk longer to find change from my twenty euro note than it did for me to look round.
As I've already done the rest of the town before and it was pouring down I came back to the hotel, dried off, had a doze, ate a pastel de nata and finished my book.
Ready for dinner now so just waiting for my partner to get back.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Where are you then?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » January 24th, 2020, 6:49 pm

We used loads of public transport in Lisbon- the Metro, modern trams, buses and the vintage trams. We also visited the transport museum as my OH’s family have been heavily involved in various UK tramways both modern and heritage.

I loved the vintage tram, even though it was a bit :shock: on the narrow streets round the castle.
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 7:20 pm

Didn't go on the trams primarily because they were packed! Didn't go use any tuck tucks either. We used the Metro a couple of times, but it didn't really go anywhere useful (i.e. close to our appartment) for us. According to my phone, I walked about 16km a day for two days, and 11 for a third. One of my main motives for going was photography though, so walking made sense. I did get desperately tired, which is where the taxis came into play :) Some of the taxi drivers were bonkers. One knocked a cyclist over and another is lucky he didn't break a pedestrian's arm.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » January 24th, 2020, 7:28 pm

We were lucky with the vintage tram and managed to get a seat every time. I couldn’t manage to walk that far, it’s pretty impressive for such a hilly city :tu:
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2020, 7:39 pm

I always over do it :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 25th, 2020, 11:40 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny - typical, when we're flying home a bit later.
We're in faro. For conference at the university. its a shame that it wasn't sunny for that - although it was indoors nearly all of the time anyway.
There's not a great deal to see here so we've only stayed the four nights - there are people from the states who have done the same - and have spent as many days travelling as being here. One woman arrived with what she stood up in, her baggage didn't get on the plane with her when she changed in boston. It may be here when she goes back.
I'm looking forward to a lie-in. My partner has had a nasty cough for a week or so (not great for sleeping) - I'm wondering how many people will think he's got the coronavirus!
Have a good day, everyone. We'll try to bring some sun back with us.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Today is the second anniversary of our move from Coventry to Somerset & how are we celebrating it, by going on the monthly litter pick along the canal picking up the crap that people are too lazy or bothered to take home with them.
This time I picked up a bag containing half a dozen needles, it makes me furious that some low life thinks it is o/k to leave something like that lying around that a small child could easily pick up.
Back home now though with a cuppa, bottle of bubbly & box of Chocks for tonight, time to relax.
Hope you all have a good day
hickybank
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 25th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Good grief Hicky, 2 years!!!!!!! Where has the time gone.

Good on you with the litter pick. Some people make me furious too..if I'm being honest there are quite a lot that infuriate me! Think I might need a lie down now ;) .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 25th, 2020, 8:23 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Good grief Hicky, 2 years!!!!!!! Where has the time gone.

My thoughts exactly :tu: :hug: :hi5:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 25th, 2020, 8:48 pm

I know it's scary isn't it, when we were young we wanted to be a grown up, now we are we want time to slow down. ha a nice day but bubbly gone just a few chocks left
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 26th, 2020, 9:42 am

Morning. Bad insomnia so only just up. I think it was brighter earlier (sunlight through curtains and half open eyes before I went back to sleep?) Now darkish and dull. Again. I have a nice bunch of mimoisa to brighten up the room though. My mimosa tree (in a pot) is looking promising bloom-wise but I think it has a while to go before the flowers come out.

Nothing firm planned today. I was going to reboil marmalade. I might. I might not... Is there a time limit on when you can do this? I also ought to divide my rhubarb.

I hoep everyone has a good day
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 26th, 2020, 9:50 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast.
I too didn't sleep well. I thought about sticking a sock in my partner's mouth but I only have one pair of clean ones left - I suppose I could have used one of his.
I suppose I'd better get up - we are meant to be leaving here in an hour! It would be so rude not to have a chat first.
scullion
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 26th, 2020, 10:42 am

Good morning all.
It was bright and sunny when I got up around 9, it has now faded to grey.
Today is the usual Sunday stuff, washing, changing the bed etc and getting sorted for the work week ahead.

Have a good day.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Good noontime folks
A busy morning giving the house a bit of a quick wipe over, laundry, filling the feeders and counting the birds etc. Now I need to sort through the pile of 'stuff' on the end of the dining table. OH is giving the bathroom a bit of wash and brush up. The coming week has lots happening, including us going away for a night down in Suffolk so at least the house will be reasonable to return to.
Poached eggs on toast for lunch in a few minutes. Have a good trip home Scully.
Enjoy the rest of the day folks :wave:
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 26th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Bright to start, now raining, I have just finished the RSPB big garden birdwatch, batch of bread on the go, and I have just ordered a new camera to replace the one I destroyed on a night shoot.
Have a good day
hickybank
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 27th, 2020, 11:23 am

Good morning, sitting here like an excited kid waiting for my new camera to arrive, it is about 30 mins away.

I am using Camera Jungle for the camera, I have used them before & very impressed with the level of service from the.
I ordered this camera yesterday morning that is top service.

I hade need to return the last item I bought but they arranged collection the next day, I had to do nothing.

Let me explain, Camera Jungle is the second hand department of Jessops
Anything purchased comes with a full manufacturers guarantee and arrives in the original packaging.
They are graded as Good, excellent & mint and this is reflected in the price.
My camera is a Panasonic DMC FX1000,(mint) best retail price new is £400.
I have paid £290 for it, as it is a display model, so never been outside t6he shop
Should you be tempted to use them, at checkout, there is a box with (voucher code) on it, just type in( jungle10) lower case you will automatically receive a 10% discount.
That's is I am off to stand by the front door :lol: :lol: :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 27th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Ooh Terry :bounce:

Not used Camera Jungle but I keep getting emails from them. I didn't realize they were part of Jessops. I have been using Wex a fair bit. (Including for hiring a lens.) In the spring/summer I want to hire/borrow one of these.

https://www.ukdigital.co.uk/laowa-24mm- ... 8FEALw_wcB

(But not from Wex as they don't have them.)
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop