[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - good morning +

good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2020, 6:15 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2020, 6:30 pm

Thanks. Will have another go. There were no leaves on them. Just buds = leaves?
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2020, 8:50 pm

Is this because you stripped them off or because they are deciduous, or simply fallen off - much like poinsettia does at this time of year ?

I stuck a pruning of sambucus nigra black lace last year in a pot, the leaves all fell off (not surprised as it is deciduous), forgot about it, and just found that tiny leaves are growing .. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 4th, 2020, 7:58 am

Deciduous, but this is/was the right time to do them. (I did some research before I did it a month ago - I did even watch a Monty Don video. I think one of the problems is that I am not really sure what leaf nodes are :o )
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 4th, 2020, 8:01 am

Bright with a hint of sun. Last time I looked, it was supposed to be sunny today, I was vaguely thinking of taking my camera into the City at lunch time, but still tired from weekend, so maybe not.
Nothing spectacular on today. Still waiting for publishing director's comment on philosophy, so I shall get on with mermaids and physics.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 4th, 2020, 8:42 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment but the met says that we, too, are due sun all day starting soon.
we should get bread today.
i'm off to yoga in an hour. it'll be the first time since the middle of december, i think.
the cold is almost gone so i don't think i'm going to spread it now.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 4th, 2020, 8:45 am

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 4th, 2020, 11:02 am

Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 4th, 2020, 11:11 am

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 4th, 2020, 11:15 am

I do hope so, Terry :) Fingers crossed that they work.

Thanks, Suffs!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 4th, 2020, 12:20 pm

hickybank
Registered

Postby nursemimi » February 4th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Good morning every one! Cold and drizzle this morning after a nice warm weekend!
Hou*****I today good day for it .

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby scullion » February 5th, 2020, 8:04 am

good morning, all.
brightening (sunrise was about ten minutes ago) with a prediction of all day sun again - more bread.
at the farm today. it seems someone has broken the kiln while moving it to the new pottery. that will be expensive!
better shift - i'll need a coffee before i go.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 5th, 2020, 8:07 am

Morning. It feels very cold this morning. There is a frost, and lots of mist in the field. I was somehow expecting it to be warmer.
I plan to go to South Ken this afternoon to visit the Science Museum - a somewhat tenuous work related thing. Will look at bookshops too which is probably more relevant! Alas it was another awake until 3amish night - 3rd in 5 days - so I hope I have the energy. Taking a camera :)

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 5th, 2020, 8:52 am

Good morning
Cold and sunny here
Off to go for a swim for the first time in about two years
Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby nursemimi » February 5th, 2020, 4:01 pm

It is snowing here today Glad I don’t have to go anywhere.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 5th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Well my cold socks arrived today, so one in fridge & one in freezer, need to wait for a night when it kicks off to see if they work.
That cold well be tonight the way they feel at the moment
They are quite big but feel comfortable to wear.

If they work then Herby, you will be my bestest friend ever :hug: :hug:
Fingers crossed
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 6th, 2020, 8:09 am

How did it go, Terry?

Brrr frosty and misty field again. I'd like to walk into the mist. It looks like it's about 7 ft deep from the ground. But can't. I woke at dawn which seemed to be about 7.

Got very tired yesterday walking round the Science Museum. I fell asleep when I got home. It was lovely to come home in the light (I left earlier than I would work, but no point in going back to the office.) I am not sure how much science I absorbed, but got some decent photos :? Bought a couple of books to assuage my slight guilt. On the way there, I walked through the tunnel from the tube station. There were hoards of primary school children from different schools walking back, two by two. A busker started playing Twinkle Twinkle little star, and all the children started singing as they marched :)

Plan is to go to the British Library to do some newspaper research tonight. Will see how I feel...

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 6th, 2020, 10:29 am

Morning Herby, my report.
Do the socks work, "YES THEY DO" :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
DID I sleep "NO" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I went to bed around 11.oo feet kicked off straight away so donned socks.
I had one in fridge & one in freezer, the freezer option is best.
The reason I did not sleep was simply I just couldn't drop off
The harder I tried the more frustrated I became &b then it is just a vicious circle.

But on the positive side ,the socks gave instant relief so I am confident they will work.

I have learned the reason you should only wear them for around 20 mins,
If you leave them on after 45mins to an hour they lose their cooling effect so you finish up wearing a pair of socks in bed with hot feet :lol:
Also it take a couple of hours the cool down again, so it is just a learning curve.
So on the positive side, I think they will be a great benefit after suffering for many years, just need to get the timing right.
on that basis I cannot thank you enough for alerting me to them, you are an absolute star :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I owe you big time

Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 6th, 2020, 10:42 am

So glad they were good. I must have said this too many times, but a cup of warm milk usually helps me to sleep when I have insomnia. I don't have it as a precaution though. Just when, a couple of hours after lights out, it becomes clear I am not going to fall asleep. I put nutmeg in it and sometimes have a couple of squares of milk chocolate too... neither of which are of benefit, I am sure.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 6th, 2020, 11:00 am

Good morning
If I drank a cup of warm milk at bedtime I wouldn’t sleep until I stopped feeling queasy :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:

I’m trying to get into a more regular sleep pattern but last night fell asleep on the sofa at 10 o’clock and woke up 3 hours later. No warning that I was about to drop off

Sunny so need to get outside at some point
Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 6th, 2020, 11:05 am

Yes, I am lucky to be able to drink it. It's a life saver given the extent of my insomnia. Before I discovered it I was potentially popping my Nytol way to dementia. Possibly still am, as I do still take it, but not on a nightly basis.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scienc ... tists.html

My husband is always falling asleep in the settee. It drives me nuts. (Snoring.) He does it on purpose, as he lies down to do it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 6th, 2020, 11:29 am

good morning, all.
the sun should be out soon, dough is proving. this one - i will suggest, should go into the freezer for a cloudier time as we have enough bread for the next couple of days, already.
nothing on other than the last bit of washing that needs doing. i think a walk on the beach would be a good idea, too.
when i was little i was told that an uncle of mine had a piece of machinery in the science museum. whether it was true or not i guess i'll never know.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 6th, 2020, 11:47 am

Good morning all ... just ;)

I think I must be better ... I'm back into the swing of normal life, baking bread, making yoghurt etc rather than feeling semi-comatose on the sofa ... and the house is now so spick and span there's nothing left to dust, sweep, wipe or vacuum :oops: I'd better sit down and read a book :lol:

Have a lovely day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 6th, 2020, 12:34 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 6th, 2020, 12:39 pm

I was making only slow progress, still getting tired very easily even when we had our break away the coast last week ... but on Tuesday I had a bit more oomph and then yesterday and today Ive definitely felt much more alert rather than the overwhelming lethargy. It’s taken long enough ... it started well before Christmas.
Get well soon Miss Mouse :hug: :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 6th, 2020, 12:43 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 6th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Yep ... checked my diary and the first tennis session I missed was 4 Dec.
Glad you’re on the mend.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 7th, 2020, 8:42 am

Frosty again. Just trying to take photos of birds (long tailed tits, robin and bgreat tits) through the windows. Settee photography... The windows need cleaning.
I finish earlyish today. Friday. Yay!

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 7th, 2020, 9:03 am

Sunny & cold here, but had a decent night & feeling a little better, I will try to get out to our local reserve later to try out my new kit.
Have a good day
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 7th, 2020, 9:05 am

Good morningi the white stuff
Even here we have a heavy frost, next door’s roof is coated
Will go for my walk fairly early to avoid the wind, didn’t have much of a walk yesterday as I went to the supermarket
Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 7th, 2020, 9:33 am

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 7th, 2020, 10:47 am

good morning, all.
overcast, chilly and breezy - i think we get rain later.
i didn't do the bird watch but you can bet your bottom dollar i would have seen jackdaw, magpie, herring gull, wren and maybe a wheeling buzzard or two among the usual suspects.
the wrens have lived in a hole n the hedge at the bottom of the garden for as long as we've been here and pick their way round the walls of the raised beds outside the kitchen window.
we no longer put bird feeders out. the wind empties them quicker than the birds, i think - and we have a couple of cats.
we do leave a lot of our garden wild so there are quite a lot of seed heads and insects around.
we have been indulging in the repeat showing of 'this life', from the mid nineties, on bbc4. i think it was, possibly, one of the first tv series that we saw which used a hand held, close up camera for much of the filming. it doesn't seem that dated other than for the amazing amount of smoking that goes on.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 7th, 2020, 11:10 am

No, I didn't Pat. I could hazzard a guess at what I might see though, if not the quantities. Not terribly varied or unusual: robins, magpies, long tailed tits (rarely more than two at a time), great tits, blue tits, parakeets, pigeons (!) starlings, maybe a sparrow or two, maybe a blackbird, possibly a greater spotted woodpecker (I may have heard one pecking.) Goldfinch are a rare treat. Herons make an occasional appearance. I once saw a wren...

I'd like to get out and do some bird photography. Maybe tomorrow if the crick in my neck goes. And must get onto project bird box with camera asasp.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 7th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Good morning all
Bedroom has had a seeing to and there’s no longer a layer of white fluff over everything ... thing is, I only see if when I have my specs on :rolleyes:
Also had a phone call from best friend ... haven’t seen her since our friend’s funeral in November so we had a bit of a catch up and we’ve arranged to meet for lunch next Friday to do the job properly :D
Washing has been draped and there’s a sausage and bean casserole in the slow cooker. I’m feeling quite virtuous :D
Make sure all your hatch battening equipment is readily accessible for the weekend, and enjoy the rest of the day :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 7th, 2020, 3:04 pm

I have been for my walk
6k, stopped for a lunch time sandwich at the Coal Hole Café overlooking the wetlands reserve in brilliant sunshine
Saw lots of wetlands birds, including the pair of Egyptian geese who have decided they own the western path, heard lots of song birds
Hugs from 2 humans and 1 dog on the way (not random, ones I already know!)
Saw miniature daffs, crocuses, snowdrops, winter cherry, and lots of different hellebores in front gardens
So what did I take a pic of?

StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 7th, 2020, 3:11 pm

:lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2020, 8:43 am

Morning. Dull and damp this morning. I was woken up by Basil meeping about once every 30 seconds from 7.45am. This was quite restrained for him. He has definitely 'improved' since we started the medication. A much calmer cat.
o far have fed the birds and put washing no.1 on. I have quite a lot of catch up stuff to do after not being here last weekend, but in addition to that need to go and get meds for B, take overheating laptop to computer person (probably clogged up with cat hairs) and do a potential damage assessment of the garden and taken action. The train people announced winds of 80mph for tomorrow. I could be charitable and say that it will be that bad somewhere in the UK, and the announcement was a national rather than local one. Or they are exaggerating to make themselves look bad when everything grinds to a halt (as it does if there is a stray hair on the line in the London area.)Forecast is for 50mph at is strongest. I think I shall bring quite a few plants into the lean to- covered or non-covered bit. My mimosa is about to flower and it would be a pity if the buds were broken off at this stage, for example.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2020, 10:25 am

Winds up to 80 mph was exactly what the BBC were predicting for Sunday in London during yesterday’s forecasts, they’ve now brought that down to 55 with a lot of rain, which is still going to feel pretty stormy.

We’ve already had a fair bit of rain overnight but not much happening out there now

Off to my friend’s later, just local stuff to do now
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 8th, 2020, 10:38 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment - bread is out there.
i have seen my son's itinerary. he may not get jet lag but he will be exhausted by the end of the week. my finger nails may be gone by then.
shopping, while the rugby is on, is the job for today. cornwall is into rugby so hopefully the shops will be emptier while the big men are, cuddling on the floor, on the telly.
have grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2020, 10:39 am

It was hovering around 58 whenever I looked on and off yesterday. Didn't spot an 80. It must be fluctuating a lot. 59 now in SE26. 60 in EC1N - my two benchmarks. Rain for 19 (?) hours. Poor mother has rain from midnight tonight until 18.00 Monday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2020, 10:43 am

Good morning all

Well we’re certainly planning to keep our heads down over here in the east https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/storm-ciara ... -1-6504787
If it’s not as bad as predicted that’ll be great, but as Ma always said, plan for the worst whilst hoping for the best. Stew and dumplings is on the menu for tomorrow ... seems appropriate.

OH is at home today so it’ll probably be poached eggs on toast for lunch today. Pad Thai for supper at Stokey Sue’s suggestion :drool:

Have a good day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2020, 11:12 am

The very high wind speeds mentioned yesterday were on the BBC News weather forecast, I didn’t look at the online summary as I caught it twice

The sun has just come out :)
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2020, 6:23 pm

It's been nice today. Hard to believe it will be so bad later. Wind now to a 63 degree speed. (Sorry it sounds like I am obssessing... ;) I brought the mimosa and one of the inca berries in. Everything else has been clustered/huddled together. I hope that's sufficient. Main worry has to be tiles, given that one has to have scaffolding errected at great expesnse, to have even one replaced.

It's a massive storm in terms of land affected. It hits us at 3 am. Brussels at 10am at which point we will still not quite have got our highest winds. It hits Frankfurt at 14.00 by which point we will have 62mph. It's frizzling out by the time it hits Prague Monday at 9am with a mere 40mph for 5 hours
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 8th, 2020, 6:47 pm

is that wind speed or gusts? we have gusts in the low sixties tomorrow, midday-ish, otherwise we're only going up to 41mph wind speed, down here.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2020, 7:19 pm

I don't know, Scully. I am just looking at the BBC weather page. It doesn't really explain what the number refers to exactly.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 8th, 2020, 7:35 pm

right, the beeb wind speeds equate to the gusts on the met office site. whether the makes any difference i wouldn't know.
since the beeb changed over to some weather forecast supplier in mid europe we have used the met office site.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Gusts then, it would seem and not as strong as BBC suggests. I hope our house in France will be ok. We had a lot of work done to the roof last year.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 9th, 2020, 9:36 am

We are about 3 miles from the west coast here with no hills in the way, ( we can see Hinkley Point,) very windy but so far nowhere near as bad as forecast, keeping fingers crossed.

We have had the Environment Agency's flood warning, but get them every time it looks cloudy, it has never flooded here in living memory & there is a new multi million flood barrier under construction at the moment, so no plans for an ark just yet.

Feet kicked off big time last night but I have to say my new cold socks sorted them out & I was soon asleep again, Herby :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 9th, 2020, 9:57 am

:D Hicky! I hope you are not flooded (or blown away.)

According to the Met Office, it's as bad as it's going to get already here. Just one small pot knocked over so far. The only things seriously flapping around at the moment are the pigeons which tenaciously clinging to the bird feeder!

I am not dressed yet. I do not intend to go out, but I suppose I ought to 'get up'.

Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop