[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - good morning +

good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby Seatallan » March 3rd, 2020, 9:52 am

Scully, how truly terrible. And the poor woman in the shop too....

Herbi, hope your headache properly goes away very soon. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby smitch » March 3rd, 2020, 10:22 am

Wonder if the woman in Tesco had been affected by this?

I know Morrisons has had a major issue with their loyalty card vouchers being stolen and used miles from where the victim lived.
smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 3rd, 2020, 10:34 am

Goodness scully, what an unhappy trip! :(
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 3rd, 2020, 10:58 am

That's not good Scully, it must have been very upsetting, especially with your partner caught up in it, I think we all fear the worse in these situations, glad it all turned out o/k for you in the end, thoughts for thew poor lady though.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2020, 11:41 am

Good morning
That’s a rubbish day scully
We had a great local history club yesterday, talks on changing buildings, a photo archive, and the Cold War nuclear bunker under the town hall
Woke up this morning to find that a man has been found stabbed this morning about 70 metres from my door, in fact it must have been the sirens that woke me
Social media says there’s a blood trail and a lot of pavement taped off but that’s the little bit I can’t see through next door’s terrace
He has been taken to hospital so fingers crossed they can help him

Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 4th, 2020, 8:06 am

good morning, all.
overcast, breezy and wet.
i'm not going to enjoy today. i didn't get to sleep until gone half four this morning and now have a nasty little headache. i am blaming a very weedy coffee (not decaf) that i had at midday yesterday.
i wouldn't have been going in to work today (by the rota) but was asked, last week, if i would - i'm going to regret saying yes.
a wet cat didn't help, either - waking me up ten minutes before the alarm went off.
better head to the shower.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 4th, 2020, 8:30 am

Same here scully, off to bowls shortly, wasted afternoon yesterday, decided to go to a new nature reserve fo,r a change, spent an hour driving round tiny lans knee deep in mud & never found it so moved on to a more familiar one but hardly any birds around so came home.
Car is sitting on the drive looking like a mus angel :twisted:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 4th, 2020, 8:35 am

Oh dear Scully. You have my sympathies re the headache. I have had one on and off since Saturday. Still not quite got around to sorting out the jostaberries. They are quite big so will need to buy a jiffy bag. Will try to do it today.
I just went out the back to put some bird food out and noticed that these are coming out. I think probably a third of what I planted, but still a nice surprise insofar that I had not noticed they were in bud:

49616414258_024804e2ab_c.jpg

Possibly generally about a third of what I planted (or less) has come up). Mainly Farmer Gracy and Sarah Raven, so not cheapies. Ah well. My naysaying neighbour did say he'd stopped bothering with bulbs because of this sort of thing.

Some of my tulips are in bud too. (Others coming up blind, I fear - but those would be last year's. I should have fertilized, I suppose.) edit: RHS says I should be feeding them now. Will have to wait until the weekend, I think.
I got an envelope of lots of seeds from Sarah Raven yesterday - mainly sweet peas. If anyone would like a free postage voucher code I have one. Not compatible with their current 20% off offer alas. It is a dangerous thing, getting interested in flowers. Vegetables are self containing/more limiting in terms of spending potential../. :?

Might try to take Basil to the vet's today. He's still not eating. Interested in the concept but only taking a little bit. I am wondering if his mouth is sore.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 4th, 2020, 10:31 am

Good morning
Overcast here
Not got an exciting day planned, just sorting stuff out before I go away
I
I think very few of my bulbs have survived the wet - the two containers that are permanently planted are fine and currently bursting with daffy and muscadine but I think 60% of the new bulbs have rotted away
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 4th, 2020, 11:19 am

:(

Just checked my order, and I had 15 of the above. Maybe most of them are coming up, as some just haven't flowered. I should have put more in the pot, perhaps. I did follow instructions. Carol Kelin's advice, I now see, is to 'cram them in'.

https://www.farmergracy.co.uk/products/ ... h-bulbs-uk
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 4th, 2020, 10:20 pm

So we took Basil to thge vet's, he had a very thorough examination and she gave him an appetite stimulating medication and an anti-emetic. We are to monitor him for 24 hours and take him back if there is no improvement. But now he won't stop meowing. It's contant. Like he used to before his thryoid activity was stablised. I hope he doesn't do this all night... :? It's rather worrying. He's purring a lot too, but this could be to comfort himself?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 5th, 2020, 8:43 am

Hope he's better today Herbi.... dear little soul....
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 5th, 2020, 8:53 am

Oh dear, poor Basil and poor Herbi, what a worry.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 5th, 2020, 8:58 am

Hope, he is better soon herbi, why do we worry more about our pets than ourselves, possibly because they cannot tell us what's wrong with them.
Wet here again today, surprise,surprise.
Hope is better where you are.
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 5th, 2020, 8:59 am

Herbi - :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2020, 10:38 am

And perhaps also because we can't explain things to them. But yes, at base, inability to communicate. And our love for them... :)

He has eaten a bit more this morning, I think, but not his usualy self. Might have to take him back to the vet's tomorrow. I am working from home to monitor him, as it's hard to tell who's eaten what when you have two. He has lost an awful lot of weight. He's upstairs asleep now, but that's normal for this time of day.

Thanks all.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 5th, 2020, 11:19 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a promise of mixed weather later, finishing on a blob of full sun.
a few bits to do today but we are having a late start - i slept quite solidly after yesterdays lack and went back to sleep after the alarm went off.
hope basil gets sorted soon.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2020, 9:34 am

Morning. Lovely day, but the lake is back down the garden :(

Basil seems a lot brighter and has more appetite. I think it's his mouth. Rang the vet's and made a 4.15 appointment, but just after husband had left for work, they rang me back and said they were really worried about him and they would squeeze him in at 11.30 and strongly urged me to take them up on this. Thing is I don't drive. Can't really expect my husband to come home again, but I can't get hold of him anyway :( Taxi I suppose :(

I am shattered. All this worry is exhausting.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 6th, 2020, 10:50 am

good morning, all.
breezy and wet. it's due to dry up for the rest of the day.
my partner and i have a bet on over covid 19. if i am right and it's reached 150 uk cases by sunday evening he buys me lunch/dinner. if he's right and it's reached 175 i make him dinner - he asked if that was the right way round but agreed to it. of course it is - a meal out or a meal made by a person who doesn't cook - no brainer! if i lose - normal day.
how are basils teeth? - i'm assuming they have been checked.
i have been handed a coffee - i will not run out of that for a couple of months - we all have our priorities.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2020, 11:35 am

Good morning all :D

Hope Basil is feeling better soon.

Query of the day ... why do I always find it impossible to make the right amount of cole slaw for two people ... even for two greedy ones? We even decided that, as we both like cole slaw and as I always make too much, we would have coleslaw with our suppers today and tomorrow. What happened? I have enough cole slaw to feed the nation for a week!!! :shock: Bring your own containers ... :chef: :lol:

We will not be running out of coffee any time soon either Scully ... and OH has replenished the PG Tips cupboard :tu: We might be drinking it black tho'
We usually buy a 6-pack of steri semi skimmed every fortnight or so, mainly for making yoghurt but it's also handy to have if we run out of fresh milk as the milkman no longer calls :( It seems that steri milk is our community's preferred panic purchase ........

Enjoy your day folks
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 6th, 2020, 11:50 am

i bought a pack of 'emergency' skimmed when i went shopping the other day - plenty in tesco. hopefully the village shop won't be effected/infected and i'll still be able to get the unhomogenised, unskimmed milk.

ps. we had purple sprouting from the garden last night.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2020, 11:57 am

Meant to say Scully ... the cactus you gave us (forget it's name but it's the nightflowering one) is very happy and has produced two healthy looking new shoots :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 6th, 2020, 12:20 pm

queen of the night - it may take a couple of years to flower and i think they like full sun.
one of ours, that was kept in a bit of shade, has never flowered - both from the same parent plant. the one in full sun has flowered for the last couple of years. the large, parent plant, when it's owners moved house, hasn't flowered since and is in a place away from any windows or direct sun.
our other has been moved to the same position as the flowering one.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 6th, 2020, 1:18 pm

We don't have anywhere in full sun ... morning sun at the back ... afternoon sun at the front.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Basil's teeth have tartar on them, but when she exaxmined him the other day, she didn't think they looked bad enough to cause problems. Today she found a tiny red patch behind an incisor which could be the problem but she wanted to do full bloods and wanted me to leave him there for a few hours, in case she needs to do anything radical in reponse to the results.
Poor little thing.

I just went for a stroll/paddle down the garden.The cherry which I had dragged out of the water last week, was in it again, so dragged it even further back. Some of my soft fruit bushes will have very soggy roots. One side has fallen off one of the raised beds.
Quite a lot of bulbs in the non-flooded top half of the garden have not come up and I am a bit dismayed to see grass encroaching in a lot of the bits (I hesitate to call them anythign as grand as borders) where it shouldn't. The cranesbill/geraniums are going nuts as well. Need to pull some up. i.e. there is quite a lot of work to be done, and I shall need some help. And I have also been very naughty ordering plants of the flowering variety without having prepped the ground. It was a dangerous day when I started getting interested in flowers. I suppose it's partly the photography that's got me interested.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 6th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Quite nice here today, still doing battle with the hedge though,but at least 3/4 removed, but lots of work to do before it is finished,
Going out for a meal tonight as I am worn out & cannot be bothered to cook.
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Basil is being kept in till tomorrow afternoon now as he's a bit dehydrated... :shock:

I had a brief go with my auger (bought ages ago, not tried until today) in the front garden earlier. (Not to be confused with an augur :) ) It's brilliant!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 7th, 2020, 10:20 am

Morning. It was lovely and sunny when I woke up at 7.45ish (but didn't get up...) but now dull. As forecast. Picking Basil up from the vet's at 2pm. I have a headache.

OH is pleased he is now working from home, but annoyed there are books at work he needs/wants. (He's not allowed to go back into the office. No virus there, but this is the mandate sent out late last night.) I wonder if/how long it will take for my office to do the same. I am pretty sure it will depend on government advice. Like the government, they have a C-V committee but the aren't letting us children know what they have decided.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 7th, 2020, 10:35 am

Bright down here, another 6 roots out this morning, going out soon to look at decorative stone, still have the onerous task of shifting a load of soil :? :?
Have a good day
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 7th, 2020, 10:36 am

Interesting they've already started doing this. Could be a long haul! A friend in Australia flies to various international health conferences through the year, all have been cancelled.

I hope all is well with Basil.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 7th, 2020, 11:11 am

Morning all

Yep, son's company provides the sound systems for a lot of these conferences and events :rolleyes:

Laundry is sloshing, bread is proving ... I intend to do a bit of pruning.

Have a good day all
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 7th, 2020, 11:19 am

good morning, all.
the forecast says dull grey, all day, but no rain. it has been a bit sunny so far - and a little breezy.
we got absolutely freezing (and muddy) yesterday so dinner was quick quesadillas followed by the luxury of wallowing in a skin tinglingly hot bath. it was bliss - my book didn't get wet and the experience was marred only by the fact that i'd left my cup of gin tea in the kitchen.
i don't think we've planned anything for today although i have some ss shelves for the pantry to scrub down. the other thing i need to do is to plant tomato seeds etc - i know i'm a bit late but i'm sure they'll all catch up ok.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 7th, 2020, 1:43 pm

There is a long way to go over this virus we are only at the tip of the iceberg restrictions will go a lot further before it is finished.
The effect on the economy alone will be far reaching, & businesses that rely on customers, pubs restaurants etc will be far reaching.
After slaving away on the hedge yesterday we went out for a meal, there was only 3 other diners in there all sitting as far away as possible from each other.
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 7th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Basil's back. They really liked him at the vet's. He was very well behaved. I anticipate a lot of meowing now.

We think husband's company is the first to send everyone home as a precautionary measure. Surprised it's not made the news tbh. So that's 5 floors of the Gherkin now unoccupied.

True Hicky. With or without restrictions, there will be extensive financial repercussions, but hopefully less severe ones, in the end, if restrictions are put in place, although I suspect they are going to be largely voluntary all the way down the line (for those that are in a position to make choices.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 8th, 2020, 9:44 am

Glad to here you have Bail back, lets hope he recovers quickly.
Nice & bright here, finally have the Privet dug out ( 70 bushes :cry: )
Now skimming off top layer of grass but with all the rain it weighs a ton, my arms are killing me, but getting there.
Be worth it in the end decorative stones & containers,low maintenance.
Have a good day.
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 8th, 2020, 10:19 am

It was lovely and warm and sunny. Getting a bit more overcast now. I've just done an hour in the garden. BI bought some plants, yesterday, to try and cheer me up, and in the knowledge that I can make holes for them now with my auger. Did a bit of pruning and potting on too, but need some bits and bobs.
Now, time for first coffee of the day.
Should probably go to the supermarket.
I hope everyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 8th, 2020, 1:48 pm

good after morning, all.
raining and also sunnyish earlier but overcast now.
our son is working from home for at least until wednesday but possibly longer - so is back down - he is also just getting over a cold - just a cold - he said if it was anything worse he wouldn't have come.
i have done very little so far - maybe i should rectify that.
have a good afternoon, everyone.

maybe i should have put that word in to make sense!
Last edited by scullion on March 9th, 2020, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 8th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Good afternoon all
Washing went on the line today for the first time in months and months ... I’ve just got it in and it’s dry and smells so fresh :D
Enjoy the rest of the day everyone
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 9th, 2020, 8:40 am

Bright and sunny. Basil medicated (he has more stuff than me these days.) Off to work soon. OH is not...

I hope eveyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2020, 9:45 am

Bright & sunny here to but rain predicted for later.
Most of the grass edging sliced out now but getting there.

I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel but it was someone with a torch bringing me more work :(

Made a Zebra cake last night I will try to post a picture later
have a good day.
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2020, 11:31 am

good morning, all.
rain is inevitable today - all day, according to the forecast,
twisting and bending to catch something that wouldn't have mattered if it had fallen has resulted in wincing, lower back pain.
but i have a cup of coffee so it can't all be bad!
my partner is going off for a walk on the beach. i am dead envious - i have been hankering for a good walk for a few days but i don't think that would be a good idea until the pain, on movement, subsides.
he went to do something to finish off the fence we replaced the other day and got caught by the chatting neighbour - he came home, a little frustrated, as the light had faded and without having done it. i think we know quite a lot of their life story now.
it sometimes amazes me how people share information about themselves. i watched/listened to a couple of american women recently, strangers to each other, for whom sharing where they lived, where they went to college, what they did and family information was like watching a couple of cats touching noses, sniffing and licking each other. they did it very quickly as if that was the recognised method of greeting, over and done within a couple of minutes of first meeting before going on to chat about why they were there.
i'm not a secretive person but i think i would find it a little uncomfortable sharing to that depth with complete strangers.
coffee is finished i'd better get on and keep (gently) moving before i completely seize up.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Good lunch time all :D

I thought I'd said good morning earlier ... it seems I said it on the Naturewatch thread :lol: I attribute this to my unaccustomed purge on downstairs dust and cobwebs over the past few hours .... it's obviously confuddled my poor brain :lol:

Some people just like talking about themselves Scully ... and some folk are just lonely ... the trick is to differentiate between the two ... of course, there are some to whom both description applies. :rolleyes:

Have a good afternoon everyone :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Here is the Zebra cake, it came out quite well.
I would say it is a cake for appearance rather than taste, I topped it off with Chocolate Icing & I think it needed that extra sweetness as I thought it was a little bland.
The bowls club polished it off with no complaints though
Attachments
_1280846.JPG
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 10th, 2020, 8:01 am

Looks lovely, Hicky.
Back to dull weather again today, but maybe no rain. Maybe a little warmer.
Nothing planned other than commute, work, commute. Will make something for dinner with defrosted roast tomato passata. (Took it out of freezer on Sunday. It will be ok, won;t it?) Possibly just a cheesy gnocchi bake - I have some pumplin gnocchi in the fridge.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 10th, 2020, 10:32 am

scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 10th, 2020, 10:38 am

One of our neighbours always appears 'as if by magic' on the other side of the fence when we go into the garden to do things - especially when husband does. Last time, husband was trying to sort something out that was quite urgent when the neighbour appeared late. By the time he'd stopped talking it was too late to do it. Very frustrating. He is married, but retired, and we wonder if he's a bit lonely, but a lot of the content is either telling us stuff with great authority (not always true/accurate, I now realize) or being vaguely disapproving of us for not doing things. (His garden is immaculate. Ours is messy.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 10th, 2020, 10:52 am

I've got a very nice retired man in his 80s next door, less active than he used to be. He always appears if I go out into the garden. I don't really mind but one day I got home from work slightly later than usual and he came out and commented that I was late home :?! It made me realise how much I was being watched!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 10th, 2020, 11:58 am

eek!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 11th, 2020, 7:54 am

Morning.
Dull here. Supposed to be warmish again.

Basil had a check up yesteday. He lost 0.3 of a kg while ill last week. He has regained 0.2 which seems like quite good going to me. Still over a kg lighter than he was before hsi thyroid went into overdrive.
Nothing planned other than virus catching on the trains ;) (Already have a cold, I think. I fear I have literally been worrying myself sick.)

I hope everyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop