So,

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

So,

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2014, 8:01 am

So, have you noticed that sentences are being started with the word 'so'. Apparently this has arrived from across the pond !
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: So,

Postby scullion » May 16th, 2014, 8:16 am

Haha, yes, I pointed this out to my partner a year or so ago, he hadn't noticed it: shortly after, he said that he wished I hadn't cos he notices it all the time now.
His pet hate is the way the word 'phone' seems to be pronounced 'phane' by many of the 'younger generation', nowadays. - he seems to shout at the radio more and more the older he gets!
scullion
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » May 16th, 2014, 8:27 am

I have just seen this on BBC News. I can't say I had noticed before but I bet I will now!

I do so hate sentences beginning with "Basically" :roll:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2014, 8:32 am

Basically, I agree :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 16th, 2014, 9:23 am

'So' do I! :D

Seriously, I do know what you mean. It irritates the pants off me. It probably shouldn't but it does. The only grammatical thing I can think of that irritates me more is when people write 'of' instead of 'have' (as in 'I should of remembered' for example). Call me a grumpy old bag.... ;)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby tezza » May 16th, 2014, 9:38 am

So.....I do this all the time! If it comes from across the pond I don't know how I have picked it up as I don't associate with anyone from the US and rarely watch US TV. But others around me probably do. So that's probably where I got it from. :D
tezza
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » May 16th, 2014, 10:04 am

So basically we're all grammatical pedants. Yippee!
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 16th, 2014, 11:29 am

I tend to use this when I am telling a tale ....... in that context anyway. :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Cinnamon Sally » May 16th, 2014, 11:34 am

I'm guilty of this but I try my best to reign it in. It doesn't wind me up as much as the use of "I mean..." to start every sentence. That one really grates!
Cinnamon Sally
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » May 16th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I hate it when people keep saying "y'know". Thing is, I don't know!
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 16th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Not guilty here I can't say I have noticed anyone starting a sentence with so either, I probably will now though :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby tezza » May 16th, 2014, 1:08 pm

What annoys me is when you are trying to finish a telephone conversation with somebody and they go 'Bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye......' really rapidly. One bye will do!
tezza
Registered

Postby Monnikka » May 16th, 2014, 1:19 pm

And when did 'railway station' become a 'train station'? Grrrrr!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2014, 1:31 pm

What's wrong with that, Monikka??!!

Actually, when you think about it train station makes more sense. It's where the trains stop, not the lines. Although the lines might... It's probably an Americanism. I don't think they use the word 'railway' in the US.

Railway station sounds much nicer, I think though.

My biggest pet hate is when people use 'there's' when they should be saying 'there are' or 'there're'.

But I do find myself doing it too. Language evolves...
Last edited by Herbidacious on May 16th, 2014, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2014, 2:10 pm

ooh, and to use the word 'gift' as a verb!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby FoodMary » May 16th, 2014, 2:29 pm

"In my opinion".... "As a matter of fact"... etc, etc!!!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » May 16th, 2014, 2:39 pm

What about 'done' as in the boy done good. Grrrr

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Pip » May 16th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I'm in the pedant brigade too. I hate the way we have moved to American pronunciations. My most hated being controversy.

I am exam invigilating at the moment and yesterday was Chemistry. I had a glance through the paper beforehand. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that SULPHUR & SULPHATE are now spelt SULFUR AND SULFATE. :evil:

It will be the poor old pheasant next. :roll:

Pip
Our beautiful French village - www.segur-prior.eu
Pip
Registered

Postby MollyPolly » May 16th, 2014, 3:58 pm

I hate it when people say 'I' when they should be saying 'me' because they think it's correct English - as in 'the cat followed Jane and I down the garden'. I'm always shouting 'me' at the TV/radio - eavesdroppers must think me very egocentric!

The easy way to remember is to remove the other person - you wouldn't say 'the cat followed 'I' down the garden. :D
MollyPolly
Registered

Postby MischievousRealRo » May 16th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Slightly unique, most unique, very unique NO¡
In life you don't regret the things you do, you regret the things you don't do." - Hugh Laurie

Save the planet it's the only one with wine!
MischievousRealRo
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Monnikka wrote:And when did 'railway station' become a 'train station'? Grrrrr!

One of my real pet hates too!!!

I had noticed that when American friends write something on Facebook they always start with 'so'. The thing I found it very hard to get used to there was people greeting me or trying to attract my attention by shouting 'hey' in a way which would be considered quite rude in the UK, like 'oy you' or similar. It has taken me a while to tell myself it is not meant like that when I am addressed in that fashion.

Chinchilla_lady wrote:What about 'done' as in the boy done good. Grrrr

Come on Chinch, you are in a county where 'Do Different' is the motto! When the secondary school at Martham first opened and that was emblazoned on the school badge I had to endure my parents rants about 'how could a school possibly teach children good grammar with that on the badge' for days - and I didn't even go to the school!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 17th, 2014, 8:35 am

One of my (many bugbears) is the misuse of fewer and less. It happens all the time !

If I try to be careful about grammar you should hear Mr Grumpy. He is absolutely fanatical about correct grammar in both English and French and mispronounciation too especially such things as pronouncing ss as sh as in tishues, ishuses etc. We both tease our grandchildren for replying "Good" to questions like "How are you?" So much so that grandson has taken to reply to such questions with "I am extremely well today thank you grandfather, I hope are likewise" We tought they were rather worse because they were at school in America for 2½ years, but then realised that the Jersey branch did the same. The only thing that has been a problem really has been adapting to the two spelling systems.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 17th, 2014, 9:28 am

Something that continues to grate on me is hearing someone say 'different to' when I was always taught that it was 'similar to' but 'different from' However I think I have read somewhere that 'different to' has been accepted as the norm nowadays.

Why is it I hear so many black people say 'ARKS' instead of 'ASK' ? :?

Oh and those who can't spell the abbreviation for Et Cetera , writing ECT !

My daughter continues to write on her blog what someone 'done' instead of 'did'

Edited to add: I keep hearing these days that something/event is 'very fun' !!! :?
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on May 17th, 2014, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » May 17th, 2014, 9:37 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:different to'
it's an Americanism.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Marmalade » May 17th, 2014, 12:04 pm

My pet hate? Like many others here, it's the "Different to" :twisted: no, No, NO- different from. OK, so it maybe that 'different to' is now seen as 'acceptable', but that's merely because it's just too much trouble for people to bother to get it right and the fact that we can't be bothered to teach our English children, in English schools, correct English any more.

Next on my list comes '5 items or less' Grrr. Fewer, people, fewer - it isn't difficult, you use 'less' when referring to something that can’t be counted or doesn’t have a plural and fewer when referring to people or things in the plural. :roll: How hard is that?

Now, I know I'm a fully paid-up member of Pedants Anonymous, but as any pedant will tell you, the correct plural of referendum is referenda, and it doesn't matter how many times you tell me that 'referendums' is now acceptable, it doesn't make it right - accepted it may be, but it's still wrong. Referendum - referenda: memorandum - memoranda; addendum - addenda.

And finally, (well, not finally, but for now anyway) H-aitch. From where, in the name of English, did that one come from?

I recently placed an order over the telephone (for a dining suite totalling over £2,000). I told the woman the items I wanted - 1 table, 5 chairs, 1 'carver' - and she replied "Right, that's one table item No. 3177A, and the chairs are item Nos. 31778 and 31788" I jotted it down and thought no more of it until I took one of my daughters into the shop to show her what we'd ordered - just as well I took my jotting with me; a man approached and I explained we were just looking at the dining suite on order, he frowned a bit at my note and asked if I was sure the item numbers were correct. 'Well, that's what your lady on the 'phone said'. He took my sheet of paper, disappeared for a bit and came back with the news that what she had in fact said was 3177H and 3178H . Apparently, item No. 31778 was a dressing table mirror, whilst Item No. 31788, turned out to be .... bright blue upholstery fabric! Of course, if she'd just said 'aitch', rather trying to be 'posh' (as she no doubt saw it), then the confusion between 8 and H would never have arisen.
Marmalade
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 17th, 2014, 12:31 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Why is it I hear so many black people say 'ARKS' instead of 'ASK' ?

I researched this a while ago (I'm fascinated by etymology). Apparently back in the 16th century or thereabouts arks or ax was used in England as much as ask - and it went over to the Americas and the Caribbean with the settlers and of course also with the slave owners from England, and it would have been from them that the slaves learned their English - apparently the ax version is used in Anne of Green Gables.

The theory is that in England ask became the norm because it was the form used by Shakespeare.

As the settlers became more wealthy and educated they adopted what had become Standard English and eventually the slaves in the US copied them, whereas in the Caribbean the slaves' pronunciation of English developed into 'patois'. Following emancipation of slaves in the British territories in the Caribbean in the early 1800s, many remained working on the plantations in relative isolation and kept their patois, whereas in the US the freed slaves became far more mobile and were not in such isolated groups, so they were influenced by the way English was being spoken elsewhere.

My SIL's ancestors were slaves; his parents came to England from Antigua in the 1960s and his late father and mother speak in a rich patois with their family. SIL doesn't have a strong accent as he grew up in the UK, but some of the words his family have always used remain, including arks. :D

The isolation of the slaves and former slaves in the Caribbean also explains the high incidence of the pernicious inherited condition Sickle Cell Anaemia in families descended from them.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 17th, 2014, 1:28 pm

How very very interesting Suff. Thanks for that.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 17th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Hi Suffolk

You are absolutely correct.

We are about to go back on holiday to the Bahamas where we spent 6 years living in the late 60's and early 70's.

The people of these isalnds are from 3 different "sources" Native Amerindian - Lucians and Arawaks. Loyalists who travelled down from the colonies, first in the C17then from overcrowded Bermuda. Then from places like Virginia the Carolina's at the time of the American War of Independence. They established cotton plantations which had to be worked by the Africans who were shipped as slaves. The language spoken was a mixture, but largely based on Dickensianor older English but with African overtones.

The islands are separated, each one is different. There are three that were the original Loyalist settlements and on one of these even, in the 70's, there was a curfew on all blacks after sunset, they had to leave the island.!

The very first sentence we heard when we arrived in Nassau was the customs officer who asked "Have you any waluables to declare?" A fequent reminded to us was "The wery vurst ting you can do is........" and everyone but everyone, from highly educated to the fishermen and road sweepers said "arsked" in fact we heard ourselves saying it,

We once went to a wedding taking my parents who were visiting. Mum had to beat a hasty retreat when the minister did the reading "Vives be Wessels to your husbands"

PS Thought you may like to see what remains of the biggest plantation house on Long Island - scroll backwards, there are 4 pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N02/14205367074/
Last edited by Ratatouille on May 17th, 2014, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 17th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Marmalade wrote:but as any pedant will tell you, the correct plural of referendum is referenda, and it doesn't matter how many times you tell me that 'referendums' is now acceptable, it doesn't make it right - accepted it may be, but it's still wrong. Referendum - referenda: memorandum - memoranda; addendum - addenda.

According to someone on Radio 4, so it must be correct, referendum is a gerund and you can not have gerunds in the plural.

Just the cheer you up, Greek is an inflected language so everything has to agree in number, gender and case. At least we got rid of that in English about a 1000 years ago.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Monnikka » May 17th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Herbidacious wrote:What's wrong with that, Monikka??!!

Actually, when you think about it train station makes more sense. It's where the trains stop, not the lines. Although the lines might... It's probably an Americanism. I don't think they use the word 'railway' in the US.

Railway station sounds much nicer, I think though.

My biggest pet hate is when people use 'there's' when they should be saying 'there are' or 'there're'.

But I do find myself doing it too. Language evolves...

Will it be 'Plane station' next?
Monnikka
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » May 17th, 2014, 2:40 pm

"Innit" is one of my pet hates. Another is text speak used inappropriately. When texting I always use proper English - just can't help myself. Misuse of their/there and your/you're. I could reel off more but it would only wind me up and I'm supposed to be relaxing.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby FoodMary » May 17th, 2014, 3:30 pm

As you know I lived in Egypt for many years and many of my Egyptian friends said "Axe" instead of ask, they also seemed to get mixed up with "going" and "coming"............ or "coming " and "going" :lol:

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 19th, 2014, 11:32 am

Monnikka wrote:
Will it be 'Plane station' next?

I hope not, Monnika!

My husband brings home all sorts of horrible Americanizations and business speak terms. 'Incentivize' really annoys me.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby dennispc » May 19th, 2014, 11:59 am

I try hard not to be part of the pendant brigade, mainly because I'm not confident about grammar (something to do my nasty Grammar School English teacher) but do enjoy the Pendant Column in Saturday's Independent.

However, still I haven't understood the meaning of, 'going forward', which now seems to be everywhere.

As for Americanism, it's worth remembering the early settlers came from the West Country and once you've heard a genuine local say, 'where you am to', instead of 'where are you' it's not surprising the English language changed. I was fortunate to spend a few study weeks (as an adult) at an American Community College, admiring their common sense in some spellings, color, the same word for its and it's and their and there and so on. There's a logic to it and also to their pronunciation.

My preference would be for the English to use English and Americans, Africans and so on to stick to their cultural heritage, but I think that's wishful thinking.

As for the Chemistry questions Pip, probably it's because the questions were copied from an American book, which is just laziness, or the person was using a spell checker that was American (like mine) but without realising it.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 19th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Herbidacious wrote:!

My husband brings home all sorts of horrible Americanizations and business speak terms. 'Incentivize' really annoys me.

The one that astounded me most was a referrence to "Negative patient outcomes" when they meant deaths!

I was listening to You and Yours today and one, otherwise apparently articulate interviewee said "Like" at least twice in every sentence. I thought M was going to choke on his lunch.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby tezza » May 19th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Annoying office jargon article

Or should that read article about annoying office jargon? ;)
Last edited by tezza on May 19th, 2014, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tezza
Registered

Postby Hope » May 19th, 2014, 1:19 pm

The use of "me and so-and-so did..." "sumfink" or even "somethink". The over use of the full stop as in ........... Three is ample.

The lack of hyphenation - as in "a 10 year old boy" should be 10-year-old.

The greengrocer's apostrophe, but also missing apostrophes.

"blue sky thinking"

"at the end of the day..."

The use of the word literally, when they actually mean practically.

using "less" when it should be "fewer".

I'm a pedant, but I don't really let these things bother me (that much!)
Hope
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 19th, 2014, 2:20 pm

The latest carp saying here is "lets throw it into the cloud" ..............what the heck does that mean :?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 19th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Strange about "So" - I think of it as something people do for emphasis in certain kinds of conversations, notably Stephen Sackur in Hard Talk

"So, Mr Cameron, do you really think the EU can achieve that?"

But I'd find it odd in written English

It's not just different to/from that annoys me, I find people don't seem to understand that they are using words that imply or even specify a direction or a logical sequence, and sometimes the outcome just doesn't make sense to me

For example
“I substituted the cream for yogurt to reduce the calories" doesn't make sense
Either
“I substituted yogurt for the cream to reduce the calories"
OR
" I substituted the cream with yogurt to reduce the calories" if you must

And there's my "favourite" :twisted:

"Please reply back to myself using the envelope provided"

Which should read:
"Please reply to me using the envelope provided"

Both a lack of understanding of direction (you can only reply - or return - in one direction, it is defined; and the misuse of "myself" because people think it is wrong to refer to oneself as "me" in any context

The one in my office that irritates me is "most current", as in "Please send the most current version of the specification"

Isn't the declension Planned (or future), Current, Obsolete (or past)? While you can replace the other words with a number of alternatives, surely "current" like "unique" needs no qualification?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 20th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Mr Cameron gave us one of those irritating moments this morning on Today when he said
" The amount of people.........."
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 20th, 2014, 12:38 pm

"I'm bored of .... " :twisted:

I even read it in a Guardian article the other day and have seen it on a TV ad :(
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2014, 1:20 pm

I heard two last night on Ch 4 within 3 minutes
"most iconic"

And Emeli Sandé/Labirinth "Beneath your beautiful"

Would you let me see beneath your beautiful?
Would you let me see beneath your perfect?
Take it off now, girl, take it off now, girl
I wanna see inside
Would you let me see beneath your beautiful tonight?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 20th, 2014, 3:55 pm

StokeySue wrote:"Beneath your beautiful"

I thought it was a euphemism :oops: :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2014, 4:28 pm

earthmaiden wrote:

It's not grammatical either as a euphemism or as something to be taken literally

And therefore I can self-righteously claim to be unable to understand it ;)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 20th, 2014, 5:29 pm

At the rate our lingo is changing, by the time we are all on zimmer frames, I don't think I will be able to understand the English (British not American) language. I shall have to rely on communicating here to retain any understanding or communication.

My absolute worst is 'kinda-like'. I now find myself starting to count how many there are, when an individual starts to speak, when I get to 6, the TV, radio gets switched off.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby dennispc » May 21st, 2014, 7:09 am

earthmaiden wrote:

Well, I read as someone being in love with her beauty and then wondering whether she was as beautiful as a person. The third line is so harsh, has something happened to make him doubt a beautiful future together?

Though no doubt he was also hoping to get lucky :!: :roll:

However, Sue's ;) at the end of her post has me even more confused.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 21st, 2014, 7:30 am

dennispc wrote:Well, I read as someone being in love with her beauty and then wondering whether she was as beautiful as a person. The third line is so harsh, has something happened to make him doubt a beautiful future together?

I think it's the opposite.

I read it that the woman he was talking to was afraid of showing her real self to the world, for whatever reason she may have had, and had created a public "face", which she imagined would increase her material prospects in the world. . He knew the image was just a front, and he was asking her to drop the mask, and let him see the real "her", which he believed would be far more beautiful.
Last edited by Gruney on May 21st, 2014, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 21st, 2014, 8:21 am

But why not the grammatically correct "your beauty" or "your beautiful skin" either way?

"Your" shows possession, and only makes sense if followed by a noun, beautiful is not a noun

So my point was simply that the song makes no sense because of poor grammar! And personally, I find it really grating as a whole, a shame, as I quite like Emeli Sandé generally, she can't 'arf sing when she puts her mind to it (Abide with Me, for example)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 21st, 2014, 8:37 am

StokeySue wrote: And personally, I find it really grating

Couldn't agree more!
Gruney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 21st, 2014, 10:46 am

People using "disinterested" when they mean "uninterested"
It amuses me to hear people complain that "The staff were completely disinterested" well so they should be.
However uninterested staff are a different thing entirely, and probably worthy of complaint.

"Washed down with....."
Not incorrect, but conveys a very unappealing image in my opinion.

"Book a reservation"
No No No - you make a reservation or you make a booking

"Pay by cash"
Surely one pays cash or by credit card?
WWordsworth
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop