[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - So,

So,

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: So,

Postby StokeySue » May 21st, 2014, 11:05 am

StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 24th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Of course, there is also the lack of informality when being addressed nowadays. Our grandmothers even called their best friends 'Mrs So & So' when talking about them and many of us dislike being called by our first names in situations where once a person would have waited to be invited to do so.

I had reason to email my local council last week with a query. The reply from them started 'Hiya Alison''

:roll: :roll:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby tezza » June 24th, 2014, 2:20 pm

EM I firmly believe in formality when dealing with anyone other than friends, where it might be considered okay to get away with it.

For example, I always start emails from work where I am not sure who is going to pick it up at the other end 'Dear Sir/Madam' even though I would never consider addressing someone I didn't know too well like that face to face. Maybe too many years working in office and it is ingrained. But once I secure a more relaxed relationship with a work associate emails will mainly start 'Hi....(name)' and the recipient seem happy to respond in the same way.
tezza
Registered

Postby uschi » June 24th, 2014, 2:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not in Germany, I can assure you!!!
uschi
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 24th, 2014, 2:56 pm

I start mjy work emails with HI..... unless its for a director then it Good Afternoon..... or Good Morning.........
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Marmalade » June 24th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Recently, whilst watching a bit of Royal Ascot, I was left pondering on a comment by Clare Balding. Describing those in the various carriages she helpfully informed us that ".... [so-and-so] are facing backwards" Now, far be it from me to criticise Ms Balding (one of the very few commentators who actually refers to the Union Flag as opposed to a union jack), but the question arose ..... can you actually 'face' backwards? Discuss!! :lol:
Marmalade
Registered

Postby uschi » June 24th, 2014, 3:46 pm

If you're Blair from the Excorcist movie you can. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 24th, 2014, 4:02 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » June 24th, 2014, 4:18 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 24th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Or a politician. :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil:
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Meganthemog » June 26th, 2014, 9:27 am

When someone says "I reversed backwards" I want to scream that they went forwards then. I have just finished William Boyd's A good man in Africa and in there he uses exactly that phrase. :roll:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2019, 8:42 am

Grrrr! I was still seething this morning from a R4 personage using the word ‘normalcy’ rather than ‘normality’ when the person she was interviewing used that rather ugly sounding Americanization too. I might explode ... :twisted:

https://grammarist.com/usage/normalcy-normality/
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 1st, 2019, 8:51 am

I've never heard that before! <shelteredlifesmilie>.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 1st, 2019, 9:03 am

Had to correct husband pronouncing 'privacy' the American way yesterday.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 1st, 2019, 10:37 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 2nd, 2019, 9:14 am

Pr eye vacy
Rather than privv vacy
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2019, 10:24 am

As in the Rockwell song, somebody’s watching me (he’s American). Though I think you’d have to pronounce that pr eye vacy to fit the music

I’m not sure I regard that as exclusively American or wrong in British English Private is pry vat after all and I think it’s fairly normal to pronounce private and privacy the same. Though admittedly the online Oxford dictionary goes for privv
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 2nd, 2019, 11:18 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm

uschi
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm

The foreign student who came here to improve his English - went straight back home when he saw the headline "Exhibition pronounced success."
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2019, 1:57 pm

:lol: :lol:

At work, someone whose surname I had to write a lot was Sheriff. I always had to check the spelling
:rolleyes: . As a smallish child, horse was the word which stumped me every time (there are others!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2019, 3:34 pm

uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 5th, 2019, 3:50 pm

My married name was very similar to enema ... it was often pronounced wrongly ... sometimes it was spelled wrongly too :shock: :rolleyes: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby uschi » November 5th, 2019, 4:17 pm

My surname "Severin" sometimes ends up with a "w" instead of a "v", sometimes it ends with a "g". All good fun.
uschi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm

I still get all sorts of variations on my married surname (Harney). My favorites so far are Mrs Horney and Miss Honey. :lol:

When I was still working, we ordered stationary from a well-known stationary company (now defunct). They always addressed correspondence to Mr T Manager. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 5th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Blast from the past here. What happened to FoodMary? I lost touch with her when she moved from North Wales.

Peope quite often mispronounce my name, adding an H. When they ask for Mrs ****H* I tell them, qute rightly, there is nobody here of that name.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 5th, 2019, 5:23 pm

The second two letters of my surname are very frequently swapped, even when I have just spelt it out, and even in Sheffield where my surname is more common than elsewhere (although I have to say, I've never actually met anyone else there, or indeed anywhere, with it. But there was at least a page of it in the 1980s phone books), and has places and other things named with it.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 5th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2019, 5:36 pm

My ex OH once politely asked someone on the phone to spell their name for him after he had written it down as it sounded. It was P-E-N-Y-S.

People always ask how to spell my surname. It is so straightforward that it baffles me every time they ask!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 5th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 5th, 2019, 6:12 pm

I got told off by a girl on a UK hotel desk for thinking she’d need me to spell French OH’s surname - after all, Bourgeois is a perfectly ordinary word :lol:
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » November 6th, 2019, 1:52 pm

uschi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby uschi » November 6th, 2019, 5:45 pm

So sad. I do wonder about her, too, sometimes.
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Yep :( Last time I tried her mobile it just rang out and her landline number was unobtainable. We continued to send Christmas cards for a couple of years, including our contact details in case someone was helping with her post, but have heard nothing ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 6th, 2019, 6:14 pm

i was wondering the same thing - i had a try at trawling for obituaries for her name, in her area, but found none.

i put an order in to an indian takeaway a few years back, gave my surname and the indian chap on the other end of the line laughed. when i asked why he laughed his response was 'it looks funny' - it made me wonder if my name means something rude in hindi.
scullion
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop