I'VE JOINED SLIMMING WORLD!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: I'VE JOINED SLIMMING WORLD!

Postby Pepper Pig » October 24th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I have signed up for a new Thursday morning class. I think mornings may suit me better and, as previously mentioned, my usual class is now run by someone else who, by all accounts, isn’t very good. I am buying a 12 week countdown to motivate me. I’ve also given up the booze, nearly 2 weeks on now. Might explain last week’s loss. :oops:

Fingers crossed. :scared:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 24th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Good Luck Pepper, you can do it :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 24th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Mornings are good - you weigh less (and can have breakfast after being weighed) ... it may pan out the same in the end but gives you a boost ;) /
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 24th, 2017, 3:25 pm

I wonder how BB is doing this time round. :?:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 24th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I haven’t weighed myself.......OH is going to class and getting weighed, he has lost 9.5lbs in two weeks.

I figure that I’m eating the same so will be losing. Finding it really difficult, although I’m beginning to feel better on my new meds’ so hope to start really going for it on upping the exercise.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 24th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Well done to your OH . Glad you are feeling better. XX
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 26th, 2017, 11:08 am

Just been to my first meeting with the new group and it struck me how things have changed since I first started over 10 years ago. Then and up until quite recently it was eat as much as you like of the Free Foods. Today, during the induction part, it was eat as much as you like of pasta, rice, potato BUT you probably shouldn't eat more than 80 grammes per meal. :o :o :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 26th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Really? Not heard of the 80g thing but we are always encouraged to eat more speed food than free food but free food certainly was free. When I started I was thrilled I could eat so much starchy stuff and I did - and lost weight - so maybe they do it to entice people. Once you reach the 2 stone plateau stuffing yourself with SW chips doesn't work so well :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 27th, 2017, 4:44 am

Re our stone before Christmas challenge, I’m another 2.5lbs down which makes 5.5 in all. I think it’s becuase I’ve had a wisdom tooth out and can only eat mush at the moment. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 27th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Well done PP!!! Your crayons are being put to better use than mine. At least there is one bright side to having a tooth out.

Rather disappointed. Have been very good this week and my trousers are beginning to hang off me but I remained the same weight. probably because I've been on so many shifts I haven't had any exercise .. will remedy that this coming week. I have a 'holiday' break next week - and 2.5lb to go for my 2.5 stone award ... honestly thought I'd have nailed that this week :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 31st, 2017, 6:46 pm

Last week's result:

Mum - maintained
Moi - 2lbs up - but probably TOTM related.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 1st, 2017, 8:28 am

I'm sure it'll go down again Grassy.

I'm having a 'holiday' this week. Just as well considering the chocolate, biscuits and Baileys consumed last night. :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 2nd, 2017, 11:59 am

Well I've just been weighed after my first week back on the plan. 6.5lbs off. :o :o :o
Very pleased but as I'm on Jury Service for the next 2 weeks not sure I'll be up for much of a loss next time.

Samantha, our leader, had been on an SW training course at the weekend and said the powers that be are really working hard on the Syns at the moment. She's been told to tell all members that 15 is the limit per day but not the target and that actually there is so much Free Food that it isn't necessary to have Syns every day. Told you they're changing their tune!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 2nd, 2017, 12:18 pm

Well done PP :D :tu: :kneel:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 2nd, 2017, 12:23 pm

When I was attending SW a few years ago, I successfully lost 3.5 stone ... and this was only because I kept syns down to a minimum and never saved them up for the end of the week like others did. At the same class was a girl who's weight dropped off consistently every week ... she cut carbs completely and left the group eventually as her success just didn't gel with SW principles ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 3rd, 2017, 9:57 pm

I lost half a lb this week - unexpected - so I'm happy! :D :D
Mum lost a whole one - so she's happy too! :D :D

:D :D
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby missmancs » November 4th, 2017, 9:08 am

Morning

I've took the plunge and joined a new Saturday morning group. This week was my first week of being on plan...and I lost 2lb,

I would normally be disappointed with that as a first loss, but I celebrated reaching the BIG 4 0 last weekend so pretty happy with that.

I've moved to a group that's closer to our nearest town (Burnley) because the group I was attending in the village was just not doing it for me. This one is also first thing on a Saturday morning so a much better time for a weigh in. Not stayed as lots going on today but everyone seems really friendly.

Focussing on portion sizes this week Good luck to everyone xx
missmancs
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 4th, 2017, 10:16 am

There's a Saturday morning one near me, I've just learned missmancs. I'm sure my friend is joining today and I've been debating about whether to go with her but I've chickened out again. I've never done SW or WW or anything similar. I've never even really been on a diet. But I'm now well past the stage of being able to use the little un as an excuse as he's nearly 15 months :oops: I really should've joined this morning, I'm kicking myself now.

Well done everyone and good luck for this week!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby missmancs » November 4th, 2017, 10:24 am

Em :lol: :lol: My daughter is now nearly 4 so yep, I too no longer have the excuse!

I did SW a few years ago and managed to lose 5 stone. Got pregnant then slowly a lot of it has creeped back on. Out of all the 'plans' I find it the easiest for family life...and also if you like 'real' food. Maybe get the magazine as a starting point. I think a lot of the meals I cook can be adapted fairly easily as well into the SW principles, which helps. Honestly, give it a whirl.
missmancs
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2017, 8:07 am

Well done PP and Grassy - and welcome missmancs.

I thought I'd do brilliantly this week as I have been staying with a relative who eats both healthily and frugally (nice food and treats but no greed!). I was so hungry by the time I was on the way home that I bought a fat Chicken chilli wrap and a bar of chocolate - and I had forgotten until I arrived home that I had a lot of nice biscuits left over from when I had visitors last week :evil: . I think I may have undone all the good in one swoop :rolleyes:. The 2lbs I need to lose to get my next half stone award is so near - and yet so far!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2017, 11:24 am

Well, despite all the naughty things above which were accompanied by more of the nice biscuits, cheese on toast and other forbidden delicacies with GD yesterday, I was 1/2lb down this morning! The lowest weight I have been at SW yet. I really must try and get my 2.5 stone award next week - it would be so easy if I put my mind to it - and then the next 0.5 stone (at least) by Christmas.

I'll just finish the custard creams first .... :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 8th, 2017, 11:32 am

Oh well done EM!!! :D :tu: :kneel:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Wow - look what our group leader just posted on FB! This seems worth knowing whether you follow SW or not, good for those trying to gain weight but not so good for those who aren't. Apparently the takeaway versions are served in larger cups.

For those who don't follow SW, syns are foods over and above a basic diet which usually contain sugar and fat and those on the programme may have a max of 15 a day.

Coffee Syns.JPG
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 8th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Are all you slimmers getting rid of your "big” clothes as necessary and buying new smaller stuff?

If you do this it will become too expensive to put the weight back on again.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » November 8th, 2017, 1:37 pm

I can believe it. Some of those coffees are so gloopy. I'm keen on mocha and the lowest calorie option I've found is Costa skinny small (primo) mocha so I always go with one of those.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 8th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Well done EM. Thank God I don't drink coffee or chocolate. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2017, 2:50 pm

aero280 wrote:Are all you slimmers getting rid of your "big” clothes as necessary and buying new smaller stuff?

It's surprising how long the 'big' clothes will still fit! I'm pleased to be wearing the old stuff, some of which is now very loose, and some of the even older stuff which has been a bit tight for a while at the moment but I knew I'd get on again some day. Going by past experience I will really need to drop a size in about a stone's time and there's not much left in my wardrobe that's that small. This year (and I assume every year), SW had a big collection of people's unwanted clothes which went to a cancer charity.

I agree that it gives some incentive to keep weight off when there are no larger clothes in the wardrobe. I have two dresses dating from circa 1972. One I pledged at the time that I would never get too big to wear ( :lol: :lol: ). It would be rather nice to be able to fit into them again even though I would be unlikely to wear them in public.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 9th, 2017, 9:40 pm

We've both done doubles this week.

A lb UP each! And we don't know why.
We are both seriously considering 'taking a break' from SW in the New Year.
:rolleyes:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 10th, 2017, 9:45 am

Along the route of my slimming journey (I was just growing into a size 20) my weight has fluctuated a bit for various reasons and I am still a stone heavier than I was 5 years ago ... However, now looking at the wardrobe I will need for my up coming holiday to Kerala (light/summer weight trousers for instance) my wardrobe seems to be missing size 16's . :( :o :aww: ... 18's too big and 14's too tight. :( :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » November 10th, 2017, 3:52 pm

I have just had to buy new underpinnings 2 sizes smaller than I was wearing :bounce: :bounce: dont want to buy too much though as I am am hoping to need even smaller ones in about 3 months, by then the bra that made me start losing weight will fit, with any luck ;)

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 10th, 2017, 6:58 pm

I just haven't managed to get there this week. Jury Service has put paid to that. Just too knackered to get to an evening session. Will try harder next week.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 10th, 2017, 7:36 pm

PP - I don't think I could bear the thought after a long day like that either.

Chinch - wow! I desperately need new bras, of all my clothes, they are definitely too large and not doing what they should. I am a bit loathe to spend much though as hopefully I will get smaller. I have some pretty smaller ones!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 16th, 2017, 8:24 pm

We didn't go this week. Mum had a nasty bellyache (dodgy chicken when eating out), and I didn't feel too good either - altho it wasn't dodgy food in my case. Besides, I don't think I've lost any weight. :(

Hopefully things will be better next week.

But it's SO much harder in the Winter, when one wants casseroles, stews and pies, and not salad! :x

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Never mind grassy, sometimes a break is good. I am finding the Baxters ranges Hearty or Vegetarian really helpful. Many go towards the HE allowance or are fairly low syn if you check carefully and quite nutritious and filling. A bit of grated cheese from the HE allowance on top makes it even better! Of course I can make soup .. I am talking about all the times when I want something with easy portion control, counted syns, quick and easy - and easily transportable.

1lb down this morning, not quite the 2.5lbs to get my dratted 2.5 stone award but earlier in the week there were biscuits and a Costco buffet. Next week will be the week! :lol:. I have got some of the baubles coloured in on my 'lose a stone by Christmas' tree .. but it might not be completed until next Christmas at this rate.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 17th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Well done on the pound loss EM. Every little helps. I have the same excuse as last week. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 17th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Curry is very good treatment for 'pipework trouble'.
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 20th, 2017, 12:02 am

Well, I did it... I joined. I always swore I'd never pay for someone to tell me what I already know but at the ripe old age of 32 and with little happening off my own steam, I've done it. Now for the hard bit!

My overall target is 2st. I've paid for a 6 week countdown initially and the guy seems to think that will easily nail the first stone :lol: it sounds completely unachievable to me!

So far, so good though. My downfall will be at work if I don't take lunches. I've got a syn free one ready for tomorrow though... spiced cod loin, rice, dahl and green beans.

Also, I've not got any of this frylight thing yet so I'm trying not to use oil which is very difficult.

We'll see what the 1st week brings!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 20th, 2017, 7:03 am

Welcome em! If you more or less stick to the plan you lose quite a bit in the first week and like most diets, you reach a plateau after about 2 stone - so you should be fine! It really is all in the planning though, right down to daily snacks if you are vert serious about it.

I have mixed luck with Frylight - I have ruined a couple of coated pans with it but my Tefal frying pan seems ok. It does wean you off oil.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2017, 7:55 am

I seldom use Frylight, I'd rather Syn the oil. Good luck Em.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 21st, 2017, 8:28 pm

We MAY be pulling out of SW. It's so much harder in the Winter, when you want things like pies, stews, casseroles and the like. However, we will NOT be returning to our old eating habits, otherwise all that money and effort just gets wasted.
We shall see.
:(
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 21st, 2017, 9:25 pm

I've stuck to it really well until today (and have been synning the oil too PP, much better). I was at an off site meeting all day and was going to order the superfood salad at lunch but a buffet had been provided instead. I should've taken my own. I had 3 triangles of sandwiches, less than 10 chunky chips and half the plate filled with plain salad. I worked out that it totalled 15 syns just for that and is already had a couple through butter at breakfast. Hey ho.

It may be completely coincidental but I feel horrendous. My head is pounding. I'm sure it's sugar withdrawals. Does anyone else get this when first starting up?
EmWilk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 21st, 2017, 9:34 pm

Actually, there's a thought... do syns carry over? I only had 5, 6 and 8 on Sat, Sun and Mon respectively, so my 18 today might not be so bad after all.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 21st, 2017, 10:03 pm

Well, they sort of can though you're not meant to for optimum results ... common sense comes into it as well! I didn't eat masses of sugar before but I do get sweet cravings. If you don't object to having sweetener then Mullerlights are a sweet no-syn treat or Quark or 0% yogurt with your own fruit added and a bit of sweetener and vanilla. I use Stevia sparingly rather than the more commercial sweeteners. As for the oil, it is good to try and find ways of cooking without it. Those off site meetings are a nightmare - I had a Sausage & Egg McMuffin today just because I left the house very early to go to London and hadn't had time to go shopping. When I opened the bag they had put a hash brown in there as well - I don't even like them much but I ate it of course! :oops:

Grassy - do you think you can stay on the straight and narrow without the weekly weigh-in?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 21st, 2017, 10:36 pm

EmWilk wrote:I've stuck to it really well until today (and have been synning the oil too PP, much better). I was at an off site meeting all day and was going to order the superfood salad at lunch but a buffet had been provided instead. I should've taken my own. I had 3 triangles of sandwiches, less than 10 chunky chips and half the plate filled with plain salad. I worked out that it totalled 15 syns just for that and is already had a couple through butter at breakfast. Hey ho.

It may be completely coincidental but I feel horrendous. My head is pounding. I'm sure it's sugar withdrawals. Does anyone else get this when first starting up?

Stick at it Em.........you are right it will be the sugar withdrawal. I’m not doing the full SW at the moment because my blood sugars are a bit high atm, I’m being very strict with myself...........I dreamt of jam last night :lol: Things that are free on SW like the muller lights are no good if you are trying to control blood sugar/diabetic. It’s more important that I get my diabetes back under control - it all went pear shaped when I went to Australia.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 21st, 2017, 10:37 pm

I had a Muller light today, EM, it was ok actually. I'm not a fan of yoghurt because if the texture (neither here nor ther/food nor drink :lol: ) but it was definitely doable.

I know I'm going to struggle when it comes to weekend and even at work if I dont take my lunch. But each day I stick at it is a bonus I guess!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 21st, 2017, 10:41 pm

Oh BB, good luck. Is it because of the sweetener that those things are no good? I've never really considered sweetener actually but let's see how things go!

What I have realised is how much crap I ate before without even considering it! It's a wonder I only have 2 stone to lose!!!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm

EmWilk wrote:I had a Muller light today, EM, it was ok actually. I'm not a fan of yoghurt because if the texture (neither here nor ther/food nor drink :lol: ) but it was definitely doable.

I know I'm going to struggle when it comes to weekend and even at work if I dont take my lunch. But each day I stick at it is a bonus I guess!

If you need something calorie counted (like the Mueller yogurts are) then look out for Whitworth 'shots' ... not alcohol, but a sachet of fruit/choc/biscuit, none coming to more than 99 calories and just enough to feel you are having a treat. They do 4 flavours and you can get the 3 pack from the Pound shop, otherwise single sachets from H&B for about 56p each ... :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 22nd, 2017, 9:11 pm

Oh bad luck BB. That's tough, they don't seem overly supportive of special dietary needs at SW.

em - something else I love which someone at the group recommended is watermelon. A big one lasts ages and can be cut into bite sized pieces to pig out on when you want something sweet and refreshing. It really needs to be chilled but you can keep some in a mini cool bag during the day.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 22nd, 2017, 11:21 pm

earthmaiden wrote:em - something else I love which someone at the group recommended is watermelon. A big one lasts ages and can be cut into bite sized pieces to pig out on when you want something sweet and refreshing. It really needs to be chilled but you can keep some in a mini cool bag during the day.

I too was going to suggest watermelon or pineapple. It will satisfy any sweet craving and adds to your fruit intake too
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 23rd, 2017, 5:34 am

earthmaiden wrote:Oh bad luck BB. That's tough, they don't seem overly supportive of special dietary needs at SW.

I think they just don't recognise they aren't supportive enough. One of the men in this month's magazine is Type 1 diabetic and he is going on about how good the diet is for him.
Pepper Pig
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop