I'VE JOINED SLIMMING WORLD!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: I'VE JOINED SLIMMING WORLD!

Postby earthmaiden » June 19th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Oh PP you should .... they have been even harder to find round here than the place I went to this morning! Have you had one? They are well worth any stupid syns :chops: :chops:. I've got a week and a half to work it off (and a weekend away with meals out coming up during that time as well :( ).

Thank you BB :). It was all I could do not to eat three - but I am making myself stick to one a day. I shall bear you in mind if I go off them :lol: :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 19th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Busybee wrote:Well done EM. Careful with those raspberry magnums, they are the devils work. Maybe I could help you and get rid of the other two in the box for you? I'm only thinking of you..........

BB

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 19th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Well done EM! Enjoy those Magnums... :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 25th, 2017, 7:00 pm

OK - progress report :?
I won't bore you with week-by-week results, BUT things have changed a little.
MUM - She's added 5 lbs to her original target, as she feels that may be more achievable.
MOI - as I've been up & down for so long, my consultant suggested temporarily changing my target to what I weigh about now - this should help take the pressure off a bit and may help me to start losing again. So, for now, at least, I am a Target Member! Still want my original target tho, which is 18 lbs away.
Sigh!
:rolleyes:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 25th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Yay! How much did you lose altogether Grassy? I started off with an interim target and when I get there I will see how I feel. If I had put a more ambitious target I know I would never have got there but this feels more do-able.

Hope you can ease into the target member thing easily ... a little break is a good thing sometimes. Not looking forward to this week, I have been away for the weekend and had chips and wine and ice cream and other such things :chops: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby missmancs » June 26th, 2017, 6:32 am

Congratulations Grassy!

I set an interim target of 3 stone when I went back last week. Even that feels like an uphill struggle at the minute. I've planned this week meticulously, including syns so we will see. I get so annoyed with myself though because I know SW works....I lost just over 5 stone before having DD.
missmancs
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 26th, 2017, 7:26 am

My group has virtually folded. :x I know I haven't been going since the knee op but about a year ago the leader left and a very nice girl took over. 6 months later she'd had enough and became an air hostess. :shock: :shock: They have had 4 different leaders since then, none have been very good apparently and the group has really dwindled. Am toying with going back but I really need someone who will motivate me. :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 26th, 2017, 7:56 am

Good luck missmancs! You should lose a nice lot during your first week to give you a bit of a boost. I can't be doing with over-planning. I just eat mostly free foods on ordinary days and if I want an ice cream or other treat on special days then I have it even if it sets me back. That's why it's taking me ages to reach target but I am lighter than I was in February which is what matters! My interim target was 3 stone (the weight i always said I would never go above :oops: :oops: ).

Oh PP, that's a shame. Isn't there another you can go to? There are loads round here, on busy weeks I just go to the group which is open at a convenient time for me but don't usually stay after being weighed. Some seem quite nice and I think would be nice to stay to. I think it really helps if you have a nice group and find you quite look forward to the social aspect as you get to know the regulars. We had a guy standing in one week who wasn't my cup of tea at all, I was glad he wasn't my first experience of SW :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 26th, 2017, 8:04 pm

EM - I've lost 2st 11.5 lbs, but I did get as high as 3st 1.5 lbs! I WANT 4 st 1.5 lbs tho.
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 26th, 2017, 9:25 pm

That's great Grassy!! I think it was a good suggestion to stay at target (which is hard enough!) for a while and then go for round 2. It does get a bit monotonous after a while and now you'll be able to advise all the newer people! I had an annual medical today which was all ok but spurred me on a bit as the results were the best for 4 years and I would like them to be amazing next year!

4st 1.5 lbs would mean a whole new wardrobe!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 26th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Going in stages makes way more sense anyway. A to Z has a lot in between if that makes sense
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 26th, 2017, 9:51 pm

earthmaiden wrote:! I had an annual medical today which was all ok but spurred me on a bit as the results were the best for 4 years and I would like them to be amazing next year! 4st 1.5 lbs would mean a whole new wardrobe!

:hi5: :kneel: :bounce:
Catherine
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 2nd, 2017, 8:05 pm

Current results:
Mum - 1.5 lbs down
Moi - 0.5 lb down and bang on target

:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 2nd, 2017, 10:59 pm

:kneel: Keep up the good work, same with Mum! Excellent that you are both progressing as I know it is so hard but also achievable! In awe of your courage! Well done both!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 3rd, 2017, 8:09 pm

:tutu:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 9th, 2017, 6:15 pm

BOTH on the naughty step this week :o
Mum 1.5 lbs up - she doesn't know why.
Moi - 2 lbs up - MAY be TOTM - I dunno.
Not 'appy! :(

:x
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 9th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Oh bad luck Grassy :hug: :hug:, I think in warm weather we all eat less but are tempted by things like ice cream!

I am just about keeping even through a few weeks of being away and having a few treats, all in all about 2lb on which isn't too bad. I thought I was back on track but someone at work treated us all to Costco pizza and cake today 8-) . Very calorific and unhealthy .. I doubt I shall wear it off by Wednesday :rolleyes:. I could always go back to juicing for a few days, that'd do it ... :idea:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 9th, 2017, 7:46 pm

We had 2 portions of beef & veg (lean beef skirt & loads of veg), casserole for dinner 2day. We had MORE veg with it (free) AND boiled rice (also free), PLUS I had fruit for afters.
Yum :chops:
Grasshopper

Edited to add: Sis didn't want casserole, so she got egg-fried rice instead.

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 9th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Well done!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 16th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Mum is up 1.5 lbs this week, I'm half a lb down.

:rolleyes:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 9:59 pm

I do not want to preach. But....I found this whole slimming thing destroyed me. So I gave it up. I then went from an appetite of a pig, through an appetite like a door mouse, then out the other side. I can't do the dieting thing anymore. Food is there to be worshipped, cherished, not feared. If we put on a few pounds, well we can shed them. Easy really. What goes in has to come out.
And on that note I need toast!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 10:02 pm

I wish you well, and Mother Grassy too. Keep up the good work. I was just sticking my nose in. :hug:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 30th, 2017, 7:12 pm

LATEST UPDATE:
We didn't go week before last - as we had a 'break' week.
last week - OMG :o
Mum - down a lb but Moi - UP 1.5 lbs! Heavier than I've been for a LONG time! That MUST come off!!!!!!!
:shock:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 31st, 2017, 10:09 am

Don't worry grassy, I think it does us all good to have a break and now you can have a week where you concentrate on it.

I had 6 weeks which I knew were going to be difficult as I was stupidly busy and often in situations where food choices were not great. I was really pleased to come out of it all yo-yoing within a 2lb window and this week got back to normal and lost 2.5lb. Before the bad 6 weeks I had just got my 2 stone award and now at last am below that ... and on my way to 3 stone I hope (though this weekend has been a bit naughty)! Just think, a pound a week would mean another stone off by October, just in time to slip into the winter fashions! It is do-able when you think of it like that. I have set myself a year to declutter my life and body - it might take longer but I hope to be well on the way by the time the year is up.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 31st, 2017, 2:54 pm

We won't recognise you at the next meet EM ;) 8-)
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on July 31st, 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 31st, 2017, 5:39 pm

I think you're both doing fantastically well. SO impressed... :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :luv: :luv: :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 31st, 2017, 8:12 pm

Grassy, you are maintaining. You can not possibly maintain the exact same weight. It doesn't work like that. Maintenance is within a 2kg bracket, so don't worry. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your weight does not define you and certainly does not justify your worth. You've got this
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 1st, 2017, 8:21 am

Is Weight Watchers a dirty name on this thread ;) :lol:

I am just wondering if anyone has tried both and had more, or less success with either one of them. I am on a FB group for those of us with Stomas who want/need to lose weight .. some of them are losing with SW and others by WW (and others like myself finding very hard :( ) . Difficult to pin point the differences though - they both seem very flexible. :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 1st, 2017, 8:42 am

Patsy, I think I have mentioned earlier that my old SW group has almost folded due to them not being able to get another good leader. One of my chums who has been doing SW for as long as me has defected to a Thursday morning WeightWatchers group in Eastcote and reckons it has changed and is almost the same as SW these days.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 1st, 2017, 9:33 am

Thanks for that Ppig ... :tu: Seems like both companies have come to the same conclusion. I am still unhappy about SW's philosophy of almost zero fat (even good fat), when sugar is still allowed .. i.e in the Mueller yogurts :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 1st, 2017, 9:42 am

I have to say that I lost nearly four stone with SW, but like you Patsy some of their messages don't sit well with me as a diabetic. Whilst I lost the weight one unintended side effect was that my cholesterol level rocketed up whilst I was on the plan, returning to normal when my eating habits became less SW - still can't figure that one out as I was eating low fat.

I didn't like the new plan SW brought out a couple of years ago, when I read all their literature, including the small print, I found out that their SP plan wasn't suitable for diabetics, those with kidney disease plus a host of other conditions. What really concerned me was that the leader didn't seem to be aware of this and was encouraging everyone to do SP weeks regardless of existing health conditions.

Having said all that, even though I have put about two stone back on I still try to balance my meals the way they taught.

Good luck whichever plan you choose - it's bliddy hard work whichever way. Oh, for a magic pill!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 1st, 2017, 12:52 pm

That's shocking BB. I agree that some of the messages are awful and I wonder how much info the consultants are given regarding people with certain common conditions. They are promoting weight loss but encourage eating such a load of synthetic processed food to get there so that people don't feel hard done by having almost given up fat, sugar and certain carbs. I think you have to already embrace fairly healthy eating to follow a decent diet on their scheme and know enough to tweak it to suit, I would rather have sugar once week for a treat than drown in synthetic sweetener and it all works out with the same result. The biggest thing for me is the weekly weigh-in. I need that kick up the backside to stick to my regime and stay organised, I appreciate some of their little tips if I am in piggy mode and like the social aspect of the group.

I have never been to Weightwatchers but some people I know have been to both and swear by WW. I guess whatever helps is worth it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 1st, 2017, 4:18 pm

My mum did a combination of both which she found worked for her
Catherine
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 3rd, 2017, 7:43 pm

Cracking result this week!
Moi - 1.5 lbs down - HAPPY! :D
Mum - 3 lbs down - VERY HAPPY! :D :D :D
:D
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 4th, 2017, 9:27 am

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :D :D :D :D :D :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 4th, 2017, 11:00 am

Well done grassy and mum!! :clap: :clap: Looks as though you're back on track! :woohoo:

I was 2.5lbs down last week which I was pleased about but have to wait until Saturday morning this week (instead of Friday) and am desperately trying not to eat anything naughty today :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 4th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Well done Grassy and Mum. A loss here this week too, which takes me into the next half stone! 6lbs more and there will be a lower figure at the start of my weight. Good luck for tomorrow EM, all that cleaning should shift a bit ;)

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 5th, 2017, 9:16 am

Well done Chinch! It's really special when you hit one of the miletones!

The cleaning was obviously not done hard enough - somehow managed to gain the weight I lost last week today :rolleyes:. The body is a fickle thing, I haven't been eating naughty things and I've been on night shift when I usually eat less anyway. Oh well, I'm going to be extra good this week and hopefully surprise myself and everyone else in a good way!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 5th, 2017, 9:31 am

Oh dear EM, better luck next week, dont think I will be a shining star next week, got a lot on and 2 days fasting is going to be difficult to fit in, will just have to be careful what I eat. :rolleyes:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 5th, 2017, 1:55 pm

earthmaiden wrote:The cleaning was obviously not done hard enough - somehow managed to gain the weight I lost last week today . The body is a fickle thing, I haven't been eating naughty things and I've been on night shift when I usually eat less anyway. Oh well, I'm going to be extra good this week and hopefully surprise myself and everyone else in a good way!

I actually put on weight after a Zumba class ... and in 3 days last week, put on 2lb, lost 2lb, then put on 3lb .. (I know, I know, you should only weigh once a week :( :o ) :aww: :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2017, 11:21 am

Oh Pat! It's annoying isn't it! We have to look at the longer term picture and if it's generally good than that's ok :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 7th, 2017, 11:43 am

earthmaiden wrote:Oh Pat! It's annoying isn't it! We have to look at the longer term picture and if it's generally good than that's ok :lol: .

I am no closer to having any significant weight loss .. about 2 lb in 3 months ... wish I could pinpoint what I am doing wrong :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 9:18 am

Well, the SW thing has shown me that if I stray even slightly my weight goes up and I have to learn to compensate on other days (of course I always knew that but it has brought it home even more!). Their diet is low fat with only plain grains and plain potatoes for carb (which is allowed and feels like a naughty treat!). I still don't really see why I gain weight if I eat even small amounts of bread but can stuff myself with potatoes and baked beans when the calorie count is similar. Possibly because one feels satisfied on the latter sooner. I know that you have to follow certain guidelines for your dietary requirements and it may be harder to cut certain things out. Maybe you should discuss it at a checkup.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2017, 9:34 am

Thanks EM ... Since having had this op and having joined a couple of closed FB groups, it seems the norm that it is harder to lose weight with a colostomy. Personally I don't really understand why as 99% of my digestive system is unchanged .. (it's only the opening that has been diverted ;) ). There are others on these groups who have far more to cope with than I do, so I feel blessed in that respect. I have now joined a group of other users of the Instant Pot who are also doing Slimming World. I think it is mainly my age as it gets harder the older you are and most likely, I am kidding myself that I am following the SW plan to the letter .. Like many of us, I can be good all day, but early evening, I could kill for something sweet and of course that means syns :( :cry: On a positive note, I seem to have lost a couple of lb this week .. :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 9:53 am

Well done! If you can bear things with sweetener in, frozen berries set in low cal jelly are yummy as a sweet thing. (or if you are desperate, iceberg lettuce leaves spread with honey :lol: :lol: )
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2017, 10:19 am

Lettuce and honey :? I suppose that would keep the honey to a minimum .. I usually use a small spoon ;) :lol:

I have found some (ready made) mango/coconut jelly desserts in the ethnic aisle of my local Tesco ... they are only about 65 cals per pot, and really quite nice.

I hate most artificial sweeteners, however desperate I might be for something sweet. What looked like a delicious dessert in a SW book, tasted awful to me ! :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 8th, 2017, 10:39 am

I lost 5 stone over 18 months. The last bit was aided by a strict fat-free diet while waiting for my gall bladder op. I put a lump back on during the hormone treatment for cancer which I'm struggling to lose. I find that I only need two meals a day. If I have lunch, I put weight back on.

The thing I found useful was drinking water when I felt hungry. Even if I did eat something after that, it was a lot less.

I lost most weight by being monitored by a fierce nurse on a fortnightly basis at the health centre. And also watching my blood pressure drop a lot, which was what triggered the whole weight loss attempt.

I think you need a big incentive to lose weight, just "trying to do it" is not enough. In my case it was health. Maybe you could have a big bet with someone that you will lose more weight than them?
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2017, 11:13 am

Is it the Incredible Hulk who said "You won't like me when I'm angry ! " ? Well that's me if I'm hungry .. I do drink nearly a litre of water before I get up in the morning .. it gets my system going - I then spend the next hour or 2 running up and down the stairs for comfort breaks ;) But I don't generally eat before 10 am .. I then get hungry about 2 pm, try to have a smallish lunch, but then the munchies kick in ! :cry: My incentive when I lost 3.5 stone was being the heaviest I have ever been. (14st) and the weight dropped of quite easily once I started SW, but couldn't lose another ounce once I reached 10.5 stone, despite, by then doing 4 (dance) classes a week :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2017, 6:19 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have found some (ready made) mango/coconut jelly desserts in the ethnic aisle of my local Tesco ... they are only about 65 cals per pot, and really quite nice.

I like Rowntrees sugar free jelly and the 10cal Jelly
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2017, 8:24 pm

But the sugar is replaced with artificial sweetener !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop