I'VE JOINED SLIMMING WORLD!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: I'VE JOINED SLIMMING WORLD!

Postby earthmaiden » November 23rd, 2017, 10:08 am

Yes, we have a guy in our group who has diabetes and is struggling to adapt. The plan allows for it if used properly but I think many newly diagnosed people who are already struggling with the concept of a whole new regime find it quite hard to also apply the SW guidelines and sometimes lose weight more slowly. Leaders don't seem to be able to offer any guidance at all which in a way is good as they are not properly trained for that but also leaves people feeling a bit lost.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 23rd, 2017, 2:42 pm

I have had diabetes for years and successfully lost nearly four stone with SW, but the introduction of the latest ‘plan’ a couple of years ago had some fundamental changes which are not good for people with diabetes. In fact if you read the small print it clearly states that you shouldn’t follow the SP part of the plan if you have diabetes or a host of other listed conditions. I must say that this change put me off SW a bit, it seems to have morphed from a healthy eating plan ( they never use the term diet) that anyone could follow into just another diet.

I’m loosely following the old SW plan at the moment because the particular new medication I have started taking can work a bit too well and push me into hypos - hence why im eating a bit more whole meal bread etc than I would normally do when on the plan to even out what I’m eating and when - I’m aiming for smooth control over the day and less spikes.

I will see what my next HbA1C reading is in December and take it from there.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 23rd, 2017, 3:50 pm

Good luck BB! :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 23rd, 2017, 9:09 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Grassy - do you think you can stay on the straight and narrow without the weekly weigh-in?

I think so. Being SW members for 3.5 years has changed our eating habits a fair bit. I don't intend to go back to my old ways (tho there WILL be treats at Xmas :chops: ) We had a very healthy tea - a pasta & tomato thingy with the tomato sauce made from our own tomatos :chops: and roasted veg, including carrots, b/nut squash, peppers & spuds. There are some leftovers which we will have tomorrow with some coated fish.

Yum
:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 25th, 2017, 9:28 am

Well.... I've been back. And put on half a pound?!?!
It's the first week so was told to expect a bigger loss than normal, I've stuck to the bl$%#y plan rigidly and had an average of less than 10 syns per day.

I've not eaten more than usual in terms of volume, just the same but within the rules.

What's happened?!

I was so shocked, I just had to leave so I've not stayed to the group to hear any feedback, I couldn't face it!

I know it's not the end of the world but I've tried so hard!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 25th, 2017, 11:07 am

Oh EM, how upsetting. Did you keep a food diary? If so get the leader to check it for you.

All I can say is keep going, you should get an amazing loss next week. :hug: :hug:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 25th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Em, instead of saying you have gained half a pound which sounds negative, in reality what you have actually done is maintained weight
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 25th, 2017, 11:06 pm

em :hug: :hug: . I have seen what you have written on the food section here and it looked alright though maybe some slight blips which can actually make a huge difference - then there are fluctuations during the month and at different times of day and with what you are wearing (really important!) and things like whether or not you have had a bowel movement recently etc. Some of those things make a huge difference.

It really is worth staying to group if there has been a problem - no-one judges you and it is the one place you can discuss it and also get support from everyone and your leader. Do keep at it, remember that speed foods are the ones which really help, remember to count things like milk and sugar in drinks too. Keep going, keep the diary and you really should start to see a difference. :hug: :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 26th, 2017, 9:57 am

Thanks all... I filled the diary in 100% and the group leader text me yesterday afternoon to say the food diary looks great and that bodies can be strange things but to keep going.

I think I'm so bothered because I stuck to it and when I ate anything thay I hadn't made myself, I synned it appropriately. I was never 'off-plan' as it were and in the first week I just can't fathom why I wouldn't have lost anything.

Anyway, I shall stick at it for another week. If nothing else, it's saved me money on lunches every day and the takeaway we no doubt would've had.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2017, 8:52 am

Good luck! :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 2nd, 2017, 10:03 am

I suppose I should own up to not really following plan or writing anything down for the past couple of weeks and missing SW last week. I was utterly amazed not to have gained any weight yesterday ... just shows that the SW rules are in my subconscious and I do stick to them when I am not out eating Bath buns and other delicacies. I really would like to get my 2.5 stone award before Christmas and am on nightshift this week - so it could happen.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 2nd, 2017, 10:13 am

Same excuse. Jury Service.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 2nd, 2017, 10:51 am

I did stick at it properly which was a surprise, even for me! My only blip was yesterday I had a samosa and dad made my tea so not sure on the syns but his wife is doing SW also and she said it was ok on the syn front. Anyway, I lost 4lbs which is good I guess. A total of 3.5lb lost over my first 2 weeks doesn't sound too impressive though.

I wonder why I haven't seen losses like others do in their first few weeks? Does it depend how much you have to lose? And how badly you ate beforehand?

Anyway, I'm 'celebrating' with a slimming world style grill up but with a crumpet. And I shall be having a takeaway tomorrow probably :D but I will stick at it another week aside from that!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 2nd, 2017, 12:11 pm

Emma, stop beating yourself up!!!! weight loss is weight loss and slow is better for long term success. You did not get to your current weight overnight and you can't expect to lose it overnight. I do think that much higher weights lose at a faster rate initially but this slows down significantly after a few weeks. Being on a 'diet' or monitored food intake does not need to be a chore. It can be a pleasure if you change your mind set. You enjoy cooking so look at lots of new recipes that follow the plan. My mum made some gorgeous meals on the SW diet that the whole family enjoyed. If on a certain week you don't feel you have achieved enough please don't worry about it. Your weight does not define you. It does not make you a good or bad person and you are not a failure. You are still you, the same person you have always been. Just take it each day and a time. You will get there, who said there has to be a time scale, it isn't a race. Leo adores you for you
Catherine
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 2nd, 2017, 1:53 pm

Catherine wrote:Emma, stop beating yourself up!!!! weight loss is weight loss and slow is better for long term success. You did not get to your current weight overnight and you can't expect to lose it overnight. I do think that much higher weights lose at a faster rate initially but this slows down significantly after a few weeks. Being on a 'diet' or monitored food intake does not need to be a chore. It can be a pleasure if you change your mind set. You enjoy cooking so look at lots of new recipes that follow the plan. My mum made some gorgeous meals on the SW diet that the whole family enjoyed. If on a certain week you don't feel you have achieved enough please don't worry about it. Your weight does not define you. It does not make you a good or bad person and you are not a failure. You are still you, the same person you have always been. Just take it each day and a time. You will get there, who said there has to be a time scale, it isn't a race. Leo adores you for you

Catherine - what lovely words and sentiments, I’ve put a lot of weight on and am finding it difficult to loose at the moment. Your kind words have made me stop worrying about it briefly.

Thank you.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 2nd, 2017, 6:45 pm

Oh BB :hug: :hug: . It's December and cold and Christmas ... once the bulbs start coming up you'll feel more like trying (I hope I do too!).

Em :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: well done! That's a brilliant loss! A nice steady loss is good - pick up a bag with 3.5lbs of lard in it and see what it feels like! I have noticed that the people who lose a real lot on the first week or so are often those who are seriously overweight and will have a long journey ahead, it is a boost for them but I think mainly water.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 2nd, 2017, 8:54 pm

Thanks all, I guess it's just what you hear people saying and I kinda wanted the boost too! And you're right Catherine (as always :luv: ). I think I'm probably still a bit miffed about even going to SW. Sounds silly but I've never felt the need to pay someone to tell me what I already know and I've never been on a diet but I was getting to realise that, although I knew what to do, I wasn't actually doing it :lol: so it's the right move. And steady is better, I know that.

Anyway, despite having a face on all week and having it in my mind that I'd indulge today, i actually haven't. Still within the plan, still only had 5 syns today. So I'm going to take it week by week and day by day where I have to, and just keep on at it. 2 stone seems a way off though! But I'm tackling it now while it's not out of hand and that's what I need to keep in mind.

BB... Catherine is right. If your heart's not in it at he moment, don't put pressure on yourself. Do it if and when you're ready, and in the mean time... enjoy yourself!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 2nd, 2017, 9:40 pm

With diets, please don't worry about the odd half pound. It's less than a cup of tea at the wrong time.

You need a long term downward trend to lose weight, the odd blip is normal. It took me over 18 months to lose 30 Kg. That's 66 lb or about 5 stone. But its only about half a pound a week.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Catherine » December 2nd, 2017, 9:47 pm

EmWilk wrote: 2 stone seems a way off though! But I'm tackling it now while it's not out of hand and that's what I need to keep in mind.

My advice is not to think of it as having to lose 2 stone because that makes it seem harder. Instead break it down into little steps and tick those off as you achieve them. Say 4lb goals or similar. You can't go from A-Z without going through all the letter in between
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 11th, 2017, 12:17 am

Aero, 5 stone in 18 months is a great achievement and, on first reading before doing the quick maths, it sounds much more than an average of half a pound a week so that really puts it into perspective :tu:

I lost 2.5lbs this week despite a couple of meals out so I'm happy but I suspect it was largely down to not eating in Friday until evening and then only having a small meal. Not intentionally I might add, it was an awful day and the circumstances meant no food, but it probably added to a smaller loss on the last minute.

Last night was my Xmas do and I estimate 80 syns :terrified: today there have been a few as part of the recovery too :oops:
But tomorrow's another day!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 11th, 2017, 9:57 am

Well done em! That's a good loss. I think it slightly unrealistic to abstain from syns at a Christmas party, just to be aware of what you are eating over the festive period and make good choices wherever possible, if you can maintain your weight it is a good thing. Our group leader told us that on her first run up to Christmas with SW she was one of the people that thought 'sod it, it's Christmas, I'll deal with it afterwards', and she put on 1.5 stone!! Good reason to consider treats before eating!

I couldn't get to the meeting again this week. I had every intention but had been on nightshift and was one hour into a nap when it was time to go. I was sooo tired I weighed myself at home and the reading wasn't terrible so I went back to bed. I have GD this Friday too but will try and get weighed at least, it's been a service station food kind of week so i must be extra careful on these few days at home :rolleyes: . I am still on a very slow downward trend :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 11th, 2017, 9:28 pm

EM, what happens if you don't go one week? Do you have to pay for the missed week(s) when you go back? Downwards is good and I'm starting to come to terms with the slow bit. Slow off means longer off hopefully!

Edited to add: I made a really surprisingly good SW friendly(ish) tea tonight... 2 small wholemeal slice of toast sandwiching turkey, lean bacon, cheese, cherry tomatoes and loads of shredded salad with some oven cooked chips and carrot sticks. Felt quite indulgent really considering...
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 11th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Yes you do or you have to start again as they wipe your history. I am not sure of the exact rules but if you miss several you don't pay more than a certain amount but I'm not sure what happens after that. I am on a countdown so they just tick off that week.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » December 11th, 2017, 10:01 pm

I’m just watching Jan Leeming and Miriam Margolis on Best Marigold. Slim (thin?) isn’t always best.

(Weight-wise, I’m probably somewhere in the middle)
Amber
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 12th, 2017, 12:03 pm

I lost 3.5 stone on SW about 5 years ago and a about half of that crept back on. Following SW principles, I have lost about a stone in the last year .. I really don't want to be a slave to SW as I eat out on Saturdays and would find it just too hard to stick rigidly to. I expected to put on weight after my recent holiday to Kerala - only curry for lunch and dinner (breakfast too if you wanted it ;) ) ... and was surprised to find when I weighed myself last Tuesday morning that I had maintained, then on Wednesday I seemed to have lost 3 lb and on Thursday put a pound back on. Had only slight digestive problems ;) now back to normal and 2lb still off. My sister (who came with me to Kerala) follows SW and said I ate too much meat :o However, volume wise, I think I consumed less calories. She too got a bit of Delhi belly on our last day and flying home and failed to lose anything - she thinks she didn't eat enough :ugeek: ... She also finds it extremely hard to lose any weight despite following SW to the letter.

I have noticed very often with new SW devotees who are extremely overweight that their original (old) eating habits leave a lot to be desired ... lots of carp and far to much processed food so no wonder that in the first couple of weeks, they lose so much :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 17th, 2017, 11:47 pm

I went again yesterday and lost another 1lb after a fairly poor eating week (works do, eating out, little breakfast due to bad planning) so I guess I should be pleased!

Got my half stone award for that too.

Not sure I hold out much hope for this week, especially after the weekend of eating I've had :lol:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 18th, 2017, 10:07 am

Well done em! You are doing really well - it's nice picking up an award isn't it!

I didn't go last week and had a bad week with various events this week but thought I'd better make an appearance - I put on 3lb!! I am watching what I eat over Christmas but still intend having a few treats (actually, when it's cold it's things like a bit of bread with soup and porridge for breakfast I really miss - I know you can have some, but not as much as I'd like :lol: ). January will see a big blitz. I am still more than 2 stone lighter than I was this time last year :bounce: I carried two heavy shopping bags home (up a steep hill) from town the other day and realised they weighed less than I had lost .. so I used to cart that round all the time!!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 18th, 2017, 10:12 am

It does bring it home to you when you struggle to carry something that weighs less that the weight you have lost! :o

It also highlights the need to do some proper exercise when dieting.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » December 18th, 2017, 11:49 am

Hmm. I've done proper exercising (swimming 800 metres every morning and walking the dogs) for at least 25 years. It doesn't make much difference to my weight. I had to stop for 6 weeks when I had my knee replacement and I lost over a stone.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 18th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Perhaps you weren't eating as much because of the discomfort ?? I know that when I used to do a lot of swimming I was always ravenous afterwards.

Well done Em.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 21st, 2017, 1:59 pm

Ventured back today and was relieved to have only put on 2.5lbs in the interim. Even more pleased that I will get the missed weeks of my 12 week countdown back as Jury Service is a valid reason. 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 21st, 2017, 6:46 pm

I am weighing regularly, but not with SW ... I have put back the 4 lb I lost over the last month or so :( :cry: :o :x
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 21st, 2017, 9:09 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Ventured back today and was relieved to have only put on 2.5lbs in the interim. Even more pleased that I will get the missed weeks of my 12 week countdown back as Jury Service is a valid reason. 8-)

YAY!
:hi5:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 21st, 2017, 9:35 pm

PP - that's very commendable and good news about the rebate!

Never mind Pat .. it's Christmas ;) . I think I shall have to do a juice diet or something in the new year the past couple of weeks have not been good and now I seem to have acquired a liking for chocolate ... which has always been a 'take it of leave it' kind of thing before :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 21st, 2017, 9:40 pm

earthmaiden wrote:now I seem to have acquired a liking for chocolate ... which has always been a 'take it of leave it' kind of thing before

earthmaiden

Registered

This does not have to be a disaster. Allow yourself 2 squares a day. Savour it, taste it properly and enjoy it, it won't make a difference to your weight
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 21st, 2017, 9:46 pm

I was actually enjoying a few little buttons of good quality plain cooking chocolate each evening which I can eat sparingly. It's when there are Cadburys Chocolate Buttons left over from GD's visits (she has one if she uses the potty so there are usually a lot left!) that I find them rather moreish .. and as it's nearly Christmas there have been other trashy chocolates around too ... they are designed so that people like me want more .. :lol:. I shall be back to proper habits once the silly season ends.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 22nd, 2017, 9:46 am

Yes, my downfall has been some edible gifts - there's only me to polish them off and it would be bad manners not to ! :rolleyes: :lol: :chops:

Ah well, soon off to my last Zumba class before the festivities .... and another one next Friday, so I will just have to try that much harder ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 28th, 2017, 10:56 am

A one pound gain over Christmas. I can live with that! :aww:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 28th, 2017, 11:31 am

I seem to have put on about 6 pounds in as many weeks !!! :( :o :cry: :td: :td: :td:

It must have been the half box of Celebrations I ate yesterday, together with the last of my baking for Christmas and plenty of other leftovers ;) :x
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 28th, 2017, 11:40 am

I don't dare get on the scales :oops: :oops: . I'll have to miss tomorrow's official weigh-in due to work but will have a bit of a detox in time for the following week!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 28th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Well done PP, that's great. I fear that I won't do anywhere near as well! She says, as she inhales another mint matchmaker...
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 28th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Weight loss or weight gain, you are all still the lovely people that you are. Being thin doesn't make you a better person and being larger doesn't make you a failure. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes but the most radiant beauty comes from within the heart. :luv:
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 31st, 2017, 9:13 am

Oh dear, I didn't go. My excuse is that dad had the little boy over night so I slept in too late. I woke up at 8:35 and weighing is between 8:30 and 9.

I did, however, manage to dust off and put a battery in the scales at home. They read the same as my last weigh in exactly. Now, it's either a Christmas miracle or a difference in the scales. I'm leaning towards the latter but unless they're more than a lb out, I've not done too bad either way.

We'll see next week :scared:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Annie » January 3rd, 2018, 12:29 pm

I've gone back to SW after a few years break. I lost over 10st before and over the last few Ive allowed about 2 stone to gather on my hips etc.
I went back mid november and i've managed to shift 11.5lbs. Although I put 1.5 on over Christma to last Friday.
Next weigh in is Friday Morning. Luckily when my daughter went back to Banbury I packed her off with all the bad foods.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2018, 9:09 am

Well done Annie! that's very acceptable for Christmas! I am dreading the shame tomorrow .. I haven't been for 3 weeks as life got in the way. My home scales tell me that every chocolate and other calorific morsel has registered ... but despite that, I still want to reach my interim target by my birthday next month - it will mean I will have lost 3 stone in a year which isn't a huge amount for such a long time but I will still be very pleased if I get there.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 4th, 2018, 11:27 am

Well done Annie. I've just been. Another pound on but given how I've stuffed myself over the New Year I'm not disheartened. However! It is time to get back on the plan. I will be very upset if I don't lose in the next week.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Annie » January 4th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Earthmaiden for my birthday I did an indian feast all free foods not only was it free but speed too if you had WW wraps as chapattis instead of the rice.
Egg curry
chicken curry
chargrilled vegetables
SW Onion bhajis using carrot instead of sweet potato
raita using quark
vegetable pilau
tikka prawns again using quark
WW wraps warmed over the gas flame.

all syns went on the alcohol :shock: :lol:
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » January 4th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Nice to see you Annie :tu: your indian feast sounds fab!

I have been back "on it" properly since tuesday so am hoping for at least a maintain on Saturday although I do feel bigger than ever. Probably because I've just troughed a load of lasagne which, by the way, was SW friendly and really impressive actually.

I slow cooked the ragu element over night... trimmed braising steak, onions, carrot, peppers, garlic, herbs, tomatoes, etc, etc.
Then assembled and baked it tonight. I used quark as the white sauce which was a new thing to me but it was really quite decent... surprisingly so.
Mature cheddar on top which was half my HexA so free all in all.

Frightfully inauthentic I know.

Plus a salad with a quark, garlic, salt, pepper and parsley dressing.

I'll buy quark again I think!

Good luck this week all.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Interesting em - a friend started making lasagne with quark after joining SW and both she and her boyfriend love it - I use quark quite a bit but have never thought that sounded good. I think I must have a go.

Annie - your birthday banquet sounds amazing!

Back to group today ... I had put on 3lb since 15th December which I was quite pleased with as I had really lost the plot and a few days ago it was more! I didn't feel too ashamed and am back on track for my birthday now. I stayed to group and the group leader gave us all the 'newbie' talk as a reminder and there was quite a bit of discussion, I think we all found it helpful for getting back on track.

Dare I hope for a 3lb loss next week??? :|
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » January 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Interesting...I’ve lost weight over Christmas (too busy looking after everyone else?), but since then I’ve started putting weight on again (leftover chocs, crisps, mince pies, Christmas cake etc)

My quick, easy, go-to lasagne recipe, involves lots of red wine, and (low-fat!?!?) creme fraiche and grated Cheddar. Easy-peasy. :D :D
Amber
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop