Lakeland - my foray into yoghurt making

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Lakeland - my foray into yoghurt making

Postby MrsWWoof » February 14th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Decided to have a mooch on the Lakeland website earlier when Wildfood was off air and have ordered the following:

Electric yoghurt maker - £19.99
Spare bowl for the above - £4.99
"Masha" - £34.99 - the main reason for this being Steve's Aunt and Uncle (extremely set in their ways about food) eat mashed potato every day. She still uses an old fashioned potato masher but has really bad arthritis in her hands so this causes her a lot of pain. I'm hoping this gadget will relieve much if not all of the pain for her.

Looking forward to getting the yoghurt maker and greek yoghurt is my favourite so any suggestions/recipes gratefully received.
Last edited by MrsWWoof on February 18th, 2015, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Re: Lakeland - new purchases on the way

Postby earthmaiden » February 15th, 2015, 6:58 am

How lovely! I think a dedicated yogurt maker must be rather nice, I have only ever made it in a flask.

There is an article in the latest Sainsburys magazine about Greek yogurt (or Greek-style if you are not in Greece!). The process seems to involve straining they whey off. The writer is visiting a chef who made some for her by heating full cream milk to 90C, whisking as it heated, then cooling to 45C and putting in the oven at 45C for 2 - 4 hours, keeping it completely still. It is ready when it starts bubbling, then it is strained and kept in the fridge. I don't know how you would do that in a maker but would probably just do it the usual way then strain it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 15th, 2015, 10:35 am

Greek style yoghurt is my favourite so it will be this type I would like to perfect.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 15th, 2015, 11:29 am

I had an electric yogurt maker for years, it made nice yogurt but it was the kind that makes 6 little pots, I think a single large bowl is much more practical

Hope the masha works for Steve's aunt.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 15th, 2015, 11:35 am

My Mum used to have one of those yoghurt makers Sue. We used to enjoy taking the pots to school for a mid morning snack with fruit.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 15th, 2015, 11:39 am

Oooh, mooching on the Lakeland website ...... now that is a dangerous thing to do ;) I would have to cut up my credit card first :lol:

However, buying a yogurt maker would be the very last thing on my list (well wouldn't be on my list at all) - yogurt is something I only eat in small quantities - a large tub lasts me ages, well beyond the use by date (not that I ever bother about that when it comes to yogurt ;) ), it still tastes the same :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 15th, 2015, 11:46 am

I can get through a 500g tub of greek yoghurt over two days - that's only having it for breakfast with fruit and not taking into account any I may use in cooking.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby gattodisonno » February 15th, 2015, 11:46 am

Did you buy an Easy Yo Teri?
gattodisonno
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 15th, 2015, 12:54 pm

It wasn't the Easy Yo one Hazel. Can't recall the brand but it's the one for sale at £19.99.

Getting excited now as I've had an e-mail saying my order has left their warehouse.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby badgerbum » February 15th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Just spotted they are doing a cover for my beloved heated airer - honestly don't know how I ever coped without it
badgerbum
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 15th, 2015, 1:37 pm

I did spot the heated airer BB and was tempted but then decided my homemade version is cheaper - I put washing on coathangers then put them on the curtain pole which is above the radiator in the spare room. I have to justify things I buy from Lakeland but I have to say I was very tempted by much more than I ended up buying. I was quite pleased with myself at how restrained I managed to be.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 15th, 2015, 1:51 pm

I've got £20 in Lakeland vouchers - I've already spent them several times over whilst browsing ......... :oops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 15th, 2015, 4:19 pm

My mother bought a electric yoghurt maker back in '75, when we were being reintroduced to the whole concept by the appearance of Ski yoghurts in the supermarket. I used to think it was blurrggggh at the tender age of 8! Love it now. I have an EasyYo, but must admit I don't use it very often. I should...

And now I feel my hand creeping towards my Lakeland catalogue... dangerous.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 15th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Step away from the catalogue Herbie! :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 15th, 2015, 5:33 pm

badgerbum wrote:Just spotted they are doing a cover for my beloved heated airer - honestly don't know how I ever coped without it

Me too. Can't live without mine either - 6 or 7 times a year. I have ordered one for a lovely young friend who lives in a small and often damp, appartment and is expecting a baby in April.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 15th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Trouble is, there's a branch of Lakeland directly in my path when walking to & from work. It's OK in the mornings because it isn't open yet when I walk past but on the way home.... :oops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 15th, 2015, 6:30 pm

It's right by my bus stop in the city :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 15th, 2015, 6:40 pm

I'm glad there's not a branch near me. Catalogue temptation is much easier to resist than an actual store.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » February 15th, 2015, 8:26 pm

I'd be really interested in the Masha if you happen to hear what it's like from Steve's mum.

Thanks.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Kavey » February 16th, 2015, 8:36 am

We tried the masha, it works very well.
I did a competition for one too, and the person who won it came back to me to let me know how much they'd appreciated it, for same reasons -- arthritis in the hands meant normal masher difficult to use.
Here's my review -- http://www.kaveyeats.com/2013/08/fast-f ... ition.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 16th, 2015, 9:03 am

I use a ricer for mashing spuds. I daren't look at the Lakeland catalogue, I end up buying all sorts :oops:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sian » February 16th, 2015, 9:37 am

I have often looked at yogurt makers - Greek style is the only type I like and like you I can go through several tubs in in week Teri, so I'll be very interested in what you think about it.

I love my heated airer - it's invaluable for bedding but I don't know if I'll bother with a cover for it - I just cover it with a fitted sheet...works for me!

Cariad, Sian xxooxx
Well behaved women rarely make history.....
Sian
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 16th, 2015, 10:56 am

I use a ricer for my potatoes too, have had it for more years than I care to remember.

Bet you can't guess where I bought it from LOL.

Will update on both products when tried. I'm going to try the masha before giving it to Steve's Aunt as she will need to be given a practical demonstration.

Looking around the internet it looks like it will be a case of use the machine to make the yoghurt and then strain it to get the thicker consistency but will wait to see what the product instructions say.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby scullion » February 16th, 2015, 11:30 am

doesn't it do the same job as a thermos flask?
scullion
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 16th, 2015, 11:39 am

I believe it probably does Scullion but takes away any guesswork and associated faffing.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby gattodisonno » February 16th, 2015, 11:49 am

My favourite yogurt is Rachel's greek-style with ginger. Two large pots a week eaten at breakfast. Yum :luv:
gattodisonno
Registered

Postby scullion » February 16th, 2015, 11:49 am

but you can't take your cocoa to a picnic in it!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 16th, 2015, 11:51 am

I did find a heated yogurt maker was much more consistent than vacuum flasks or the airing cupboard

I don't "get" Easyo - why make yogurt at hoe using powdered New Zealand Milk instead of liquid British milk? And I don't think it works out much cheaper than buying yogurt, if any (though I can get huge pots of Greek style yogurt quite cheap round her, may be different if you are relying on major Supermarlets0
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby badgerbum » February 16th, 2015, 11:59 am

Agree about the Easi Yo - it's more expensive using their kits unless you get a good offer. I just use the yoghurt maker and a starter of a bit of greek yoghurt mixed with milk - I do buy the fruit squirts that Easi Yo sell as find them less sweet than adding jam when I want a bit of a topping on yoghurt or porridge
badgerbum
Registered

Postby scullion » February 16th, 2015, 12:00 pm

i get the big pots of greek yoghurt from lidl. excellent value - and you get a plant pot (or a soup bucket for the freezer) with a lid and a handle when it's finished.
scullion
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 16th, 2015, 12:33 pm

I'd be taking something that needed an ice bucket to a picnic :-)

Also, don't think Steve would be overly impressed if he went to pour a coffee from the flask during his working day and was greeted by a lump of tepid yoghurt in his cup :-)
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 16th, 2015, 1:20 pm

It's my intention to use milk and a spoonful of yoghurt to start each batch rather than buying sachets.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 17th, 2015, 10:55 am

Well, the first batch of yoghurt is "cooking" for want of a better word and due to be ready at 7pm so I will chill it overnight and try it for breakfast in the morning. I used regular milk and a tablespoon of greek yoghurt. In their leaflet it recommends addingbpowdered skimmed milk to the milk as you're heating it and then after the eight hours in the machine, straining it through a double layer of muslin - this will be my next experiment. I'll update tomorrow. The machine is smaller than the old style ones, having only the one pot rather than the five/six smaller ones.

The masha will probably be tested tomorrow.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2015, 11:12 am

Sounds good MrsWW

Trying to think of a better word than "cooking" -fermenting isn't right somehow neither is maturing :?

Cooking it is then :D

Some time try using UHT milk instead of heating fresh I remember when I used to make a lot if yogurt the UHT flavour went away entirely and you don't really have to heat it up as the UNT process denatures the protein (which is why you simmer fresh milk) and gives a good texture

And of course it is very convenient being able to keep a shelf of suitable milk.,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 17th, 2015, 11:20 am

Thanks Sue. Will be grabbing some UHT milk and some powdered milk when I'm taken out shopping later in the week.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 18th, 2015, 9:39 am

Well, it worked!

It looks and tastes like yoghurt. I'm impressed. Not quite thick/creamy enough for my liking so I'm going to try different types of milk then half of each pot will be eaten "as is" and the other half I shall strain as per greek style yoghurt.

Watch this space for experiment results.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 18th, 2015, 9:52 am

StokeySue wrote:Some time try using UHT milk instead of heating fresh I remember when I used to make a lot if yogurt the UHT flavour went away entirely and you don't really have to heat it up as the UNT process denatures the protein (which is why you simmer fresh milk) and gives a good texture

That's how we do it, with UHT milk and powdered milk added. Makes a good thick yoghurt although not quite as thick as Greek yoghurt.

StokeySue wrote:I don't "get" Easyo - why make yogurt at hoe using powdered New Zealand Milk instead of liquid British milk? And I don't think it works out much cheaper than buying yogurt,

I agree, Sue, although I think the sachets are probably cheaper here - or they should be ;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » February 18th, 2015, 9:55 am

Trying to think of a better word than "cooking" -fermenting isn't right somehow neither is maturing

I think Teri is "Nurturing" her yoghurt :lol:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby MrsWWoof » February 18th, 2015, 10:02 am

Just had a bowl of yoghurt and fresh fruit - yum!

Now need to find my supply of muslin so I can strain the other half to have for breakfast tomorrow then I can have another pot being made tomorrow.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 18th, 2015, 10:07 am

Can you still buy muslin nappies Teri ? I do know where you can buy a roll of the stuff, but probably too much for your needs.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 18th, 2015, 10:15 am

Not sure about the nappies. I do have some muslin, it's just a case of remembering the "safe" (but not necessarily logical) place I put it in. Going to start with the kitchen as I would definitely have bought it for something food related.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 18th, 2015, 10:44 am

Muslin having diapered has come back in little packets (see link) - search for butter muslin or you only find baby nappy linings
I think I even saw the Tala one it in Wilkinson's - so many shops stock Tala now

Kitchen Craft
http://www.tesco.com/direct/kitchen-craft-butter-muslin/344-3386.prd

Tala
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-10A00119-Jam-Muslin/dp/B003FXQFNU

Well-rinsed J-cloth works as a substitute

PurpleLuv wrote: think Teri is "Nurturing" her yoghurt

:tu: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 18th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Right, back from the supermarket with UHT milk, sterilised milk and powdered milk. Also got some of those paper coffee filters and the remainder of yesterday's yoghurt is now dripping happily away. I will look for the muslin I know I've got tucked away somewhere but these were cheap enough at £1 for 40 and I can just throw it out when I'm done with it instead of using further resources/time to wash and sterilise muslin.

Not wishing to waste anything - is there any culinary use for the strained liquid?

Will update on the results of straining this initial, basic batch.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Re: Lakeland - my foray into yoghurt making

Postby Kitewatcher » February 18th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Yes, it's whey, you can use it for scones.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby Riocaz » February 18th, 2015, 3:57 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:
Trying to think of a better word than "cooking" -fermenting isn't right somehow neither is maturing

I think Teri is "Nurturing" her yoghurt :lol:

Or even culturing...

Actually on second thought it sounds rather medical/scientific. Nurturing it is.
Last edited by Riocaz on February 18th, 2015, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby MrsWWoof » February 18th, 2015, 4:33 pm

First batch has now dripped through - it's lovely, thick and creamy. Think I'll try a combination of sterilised milk and milk powder tomorrow.

Does anyone have a T&T recipe for scones using the whey before I go searching on tinternet? Thanks Kitewatcher :-)
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 18th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Riocaz wrote:Or even culturing...

Actually on second thought it sounds rather medical/scientific. Nurturing it is.

How about cossetting?

Re scones, I forget which of the lovely foodies gave me their T&T recipe but I've been using it ever since and it's never failed. It doesn't specifically refer to whey but just sub it for the sour milk. 250g (plain) flour, 4 tspns baking powder, 1/2 tspn salt, 50g softened butter, sour milk. Line baking tray with paper, heat oven to gas 5. Sift flour, salt & baking powder into bowl, rub in the butter, add enough sour milk to make a dough, cut fairly thickly into rounds, brush with milk or beaten egg, bake for 10-12 minutes. Sometimes I add a wee bit of sugar if I'm making sweet scones, or cheese/herbs for savory ones. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 18th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Thanks Seatallan, I shall task Steve with scone making when he comes up on Friday afternoon.

Got another pot "cooking" at the moment - sterilised milk with powdered milk and my own starter :-)

Will make another in the morning as Mum's visiting tomorrow evening and she's put in an order for a pot.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » February 18th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the scone recipe. Had to go and walk the dog. Brrrrrrrrrrr there's a cold wind today.

On a totally different tack. OH and I had lunch in the Cardiff Jamie restaurant last week and I had calves liver - and delicious it was - and I asked if the veal was rosy veal(high-welfare) and I was assured that not only was it rosy veal, but Welsh rosy veal. This to me was good news!

On the question of muslin. Aldi were selling three muslin nappies for £2 something recently. After using one for straining jelly, I think, I just chucked it in the washing machine. I know Mothercare sell them.

When I make yoghurt with my Easyo I usually add a tablespoon of powdered milk to the milk to thicken it a bit.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby MrsWWoof » February 20th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Well, for those interested and after experimenting this week, 1.5 pints of sterilised milk, 2 tblsp of powdered milk and a good heaped tblsp of yoghurt from a previous batch makes wonderfully creamy greek style yoghurt that doesn't need straining.

Masha update - Steve's Aunt tried it for the first time today and she absolutely loves it. She says it took about 20 seconds to mash the potatoes with no lumps whatsoever and gave her no pain at all to her arthritic hands. She told me that before I got her this, the pain had got so bad she was thinking of resorting to buying powdered mashed potato. I'm really pleased it's worked out so well.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop