What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby Rocky » November 5th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Hello all.

I make Nigella's ginger beer bread / cake and my 'Northern' friends describe it as Parkin :chops:

Well I had a week of microwave food - mainly fish last week. OH came back on Friday and for the first day in 2 months we were on our own for dinner. We had a Chinese takeaway. More and more places are opening up which is so exciting. Yesterday lunch was West Indian chicken curry. The boss arrived back in the evening (to his own house - he has been incredibly generous allowing us to stay!) and I cooked a Thai chicken curry. Met some friends at the beach for a barbecue today and had a sausage sandwich and prosecco :oops: If you look out to sea you can pretend nothing has happened! I am making the sausage and pepper one pot I have mentioned on here before. Too many sausages but hey ho.

I may have said in my previous post so apologies but we are hoping to move home very soon. The place has been boarded up but they have installed a door in the boarding so we will be able to get in and out. It will be much tougher conditions than here but I am not sure I can live in a commune anymore.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 5th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Oh gosh Rocky, so exciting moving home! Hope it happens soon and conditions aren't so tough. You're doing amazing.

Today, I had a piece of toast this morning and a Costa en route to a meeting at 10. The meeting only finished at 4 ish and I didn't have anything to eat or drink whilst there. So on the way home, I stopped off and got a masala dosa, a samosa chaat and pav bhaji for myself and OH to share. Very greedy really but it did for lunch and tea.

OH did bring me a piece of nutella toast later on. Bit of a strange eating day i guess!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby missmancs » November 6th, 2017, 7:35 am

Rocky, I take my hat off to you with how you are coping in the worst of circumstances. You really are doing amazing. I hope the house move happens sooner rather than later x.
Hmm food wise.... Saturday supper was Kofta curry and rice that i'd made before the Bonfire and Fireworks.

Yesterday was a bacon and mushroom sandwich then picked at fruit through the afternoon before Roast Garlic, Lemon Thyme and Oregano Chicken with roasties, stuffing, Brocoli and carrots. Oh and Apple Crumble with custard for pudding. All this prepared with 'help' from DD who loves being in the kitchen....with some interesting results :lol: . I don't make a roast very often (just not my favourite meal) but really enjoyed it.
missmancs
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2017, 10:22 am

Good luck Rocky- I think if I was in your boat I'd feel exactly the same. Any port in a storm but I'd be itching to get back to my own space. :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2017, 1:22 pm

I am sure I would be the same too Rocky.

As I mentioned on Chatterox, we had wtaercress soup and garlic bread for lunch, eventually after a powercut Had a clementine afterwards.

For supper I'm going to use the rest of the pork to make meat balls which I'll do with a HM sweet and sour sauce and serve on a bed of noodles and vegetablesd. Ive still got a bit of Poirat left
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 6th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Yesterday I had black cherry cake while out and about, with a coffee, rosemary bread and butter followed by warm tiny mini pancakes with maple syrup and cream. Balanced, NOT.
dinner was a hot cheese dip thing with more rosemary bread.

No vegetables yesterday! :o

today: I had a Quorn cold bacon sandwich with yet more rosemary bread, with honey mustard and mayo. It was really rather nice. Nicer than I expected.
loads of white chocolate
I need to have a healthy dinner. Diet starts tomorrow - or tonight.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » November 6th, 2017, 5:59 pm

This evening we had crispy chicken (Asda breaded chicken fillets), and fried rice, rice with an egg chucked in an a packet of black bean sauce that went out of date a month ago!
I served it in the Chinese cartons you get in America to make it seem a bit better.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 6th, 2017, 7:26 pm

We met friends for a long walk yesterday and had coffees and cake in a deli afterwards. Dinner was little bits...a small bowl of veg soup, some roasted chestnuts and some stilton.

My mum was round for lunch today and we had some creamy pasta with ham, mushrooms and peas.

Dinner will be lamb keema with paneer and peas, garlic flat bread, tomato and red onion salad, and a small portion of Rogan josh sauce from the freezer to drizzle over the minced lamb.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 6th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Great to hear from you again Rocky, I hope the move home goes ok x
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 8th, 2017, 10:23 am

I made a horrible dinner last night. It was one of the Helmsley sisters recipe for a version of macaroni cheese. The sauce was made using cooked and then blitzed grated carrots and red split lentils, with garlic and cottage cheese added. It also had dijon mustard, vinegar and smoked paprika in there. Parmesan grated on top of the macaroni bake before being grilled. DD loved it, OH ate it anyway, but I could only stomach a small portion. The texture was awful and the taste wasn't great.

Easy cheats dinner tonight as we've got people here laying a wooden floor, so shop bought garlic chicken kievs with homemade wedges and beans and/or peas.

I'm hoping to make a beef bourguinon today if poss which will be for tomorrow evening.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 8th, 2017, 11:25 am

Breakfast: toasted cheesey muffins
Lunch: turkey salad sandwich thin
Dinner: all day breakfast followed by a yoghurt
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Right ... I really am going to post on this thread every day ......... I really am ..........

Today breakfast was an apple and coffee, lunch was a sourdough roll with a slice of ox tongue and mustard and some carrot salad.
Supper will be braised wild rabbit in a creamy mustard sauce with Swiss chard from the garden and creamed potatoes.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 9th, 2017, 8:28 am

Breakfast: bacon and a spoonful of beans on toast

Lunch: ham and mustard sandwich thin

Dinner: can't decide, either fish and chips or chicken korma one is for tonight the other for tomorrow followed by a yoghurt
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 9th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Breakfast, for him what eats it, porridge and maple syrup

Lunch a sort of salad bowl of sliced cold sausage, beetroot, avocado,cheese cubes, cucumber and apple with a mustard dressing. followed by grapes

Supper is to be veal escallops with a cream, brandy and wildmushroom sauce, HM gnocchi and swiss chard. Riz au lait and rhubarb parfait
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » November 9th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Suffolk, I say the same, and then don't <doh>
We're still on our skint/using stuff up week so on Tuesday we had samosas, chips, green beans and curry sauce.
We both loved it!
I'd never think to serve that usually.
Last night we had cal zone, Asda ready rolled pizza dough with passata, ham and cheese.
Tonight is chicken and mushrooms in gravy with smash.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 9th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Haven't posted for ages :oops:
Nice to see what you have been up to and :wave: :hi5: :hug: for Rocky

This morning I woke up hungry so had a bit of bacon and an egg on a slice of toast with lots of ketchup
Tonight will be salmon laksa with lots of veg, early before I go out just after 7
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 9th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Hi Suff, nice to see you here....

Very small crust of bread with lemming curd, 2 cups of tea.

Bready thing with goats cheese and tom. from Lidls

Fruit & nuts (small handful) on the drive back home. Cup of horlicks at 4pm after putting shopping away - took ages.

S&K pud. tonight with leeks, carrots and cauli.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 10th, 2017, 12:02 pm

I am having lunch at the Modern Pantry today. Will report back :hungry:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 10th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Yogurt and berries for him berries for me,

Lunch was Dauphine ravioli with butter, sage and parmesan followed by grapes and a clementine.

Supper is to e HM fishcakes with parsley sauce and braised endives foolowed by rhubarb sponge.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 10th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Last night we had spaghetti with sausage meatballs in a tomato, mascarpone and spinach sauce.

We're finally having the bourguinon tonight if I can make a start on it this afternoon. Hopefully with a mini seafood platter as a starter with a glass of champagne. Our extension is finally complete with all flooring laid and we are celebrating! No dessert (doubt we'll have room) but if we want anything there is some blacksticks blue and the chocolates jar is full of Guylian still from Halloween, so that will do.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » November 10th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Continuing with my posting everyday thing!
Tonight is a repeat of last night's chicken/mushroom casserole, this time with tinned carrots.
I have no idea why I bought them.
Using up my cupboard/freezer stock is erm interesting :D
I've no DD until Sunday, she went to her friend's for the weekend last night which means I'm free to watch Strictly and eat a giant bowl of crisps tomorrow evening without comment.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 10th, 2017, 6:45 pm

One of those good foodie days courtesy of M&S. I went in to get their dine in for £10 deal and a lovely lady was running a festive sampling stall. Gorge chocolate truffles and felt very civilised doing my shopping with a glass of prosecco in one hand.

Dinner will be chicken in red wine sauce with a bacon crumb, small cubes of rosemary roasted potatoes and mixed veg. Have started on the rose already and is very nice too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2017, 10:09 am

Oh dear, I've not done very well have I :oops:
Trying again ...

Yesterday ...
Breakfast ... sugar free Alpen and skimmed milk
Lunch ... a black pudding scotch egg and a packet of crisps on the harbourside at Southwold
Supper ... a fresh herring and soft roe panfried in oatmeal with a green salad. OH had sourdough toast with his.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 11th, 2017, 10:31 am

Yesterday toast and marmalade
Lunch Covent Garden leek and potato soup with Ryvita and soft cheese
Official snack a yogurt and an apple
Unofficial snack too much Gujerat mix :oops:
Dinner brown rice, chilli con carne, tomato, red onion, avocado, salad leave
Some cheese

The avo was a frozen half from Iceland, it was OK for mashing without adding lime juice, but coated in so much citric and ascorbic acid to stop discoloration that cutting a slice off the end w and nibbling it wasn't very nice. Might try freezing my own half in future

Today toast again, not sure what else
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 11th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Right that's all the left overs finished up.....

Omlette with truffle oil and toast for brekkie, Lunch is tapas style, a selection by Lidl and some other bits and bobs. Supper will probably be turkey and chorizo with beans (rose coco) and boiled pots.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 11th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I love oatmeal fried herring especially with roe Suffs.

Breakfast was a Pastis and tapenade on toast after the 11/11 ceremony :oops: :oops:

Luch was bacon and egg followed by coffee and a square of chilli chocolate

Supper is to be quenelle de brochet with sauce Nantua (Thank you M Malavard) I have just spotted a cake box from the patisserie in the fridge. This is clearly not a healthy eating day. Yummy maybe but not exactly balanced :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 11th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Lunch was a slice of cheese on toast with a mug of leek and potato soup, followed by an apple

Making Lancashire Hotpot for later, more or less following Felicity, but I am using 3 chunky (but not huge) chops and 3 lamb's kidneys. And Desiree spuds
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/oct/31/how-to-cook-perfect-lancashire-hotpot

I think I last made one about 30 years ago...
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Yesterday lunch was golden beetroot fritters with goats cheese, followed by apple strudel which seemed to have nuts in it , with chantilly(?) with Tonka beans, and apple and cinnamon sorbet. Yum.

Since then, two slices of bread and butter and a toasted tea cake :o at my mother’s. Poor food my fault though. Dinner should be a bit better.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 11th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Herb, I remember Tonka toys but beans ??? :D :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 11th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Tonka beans, used as an alternative to vanilla but different flavour
Banned in some countries as the coumarin content is toxic (though I wouldn't worry about the amount in a dessert)
As ever Gernot has more info than you need ;)
http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/Dipt_odo.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 12th, 2017, 6:02 pm

It was delicious although can’t say that was down to the tonka beans. It’s an ingredient they are fond of.

My diet didn’t get any better. Since last reported, half a trashy little cheese pie, two pieces of brown bread and butter, two kitkats and two biscuits!!! :o

I have some Hartington Stilton and some Henderson’s Relish flavoured cheese (I could not resist) in my bag though, which should be at a decent temperature to eat.

Nearly home. Waiting for train number three.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 12th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Today
Crumpets for breakfast
Sensible sized portion of fish and chips for lunch
Will have some minestrone for supper
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 12th, 2017, 9:54 pm

A whole week has gone by...

Not likely to remember lunches but teas, well, here goes...
Monday must've been an aldi sourdough pizza - semi dried tomatoes and mozzarella - with salad.
Tuesday, LMc burgers topped with halloumi and salad.
Wednesday was salmon topped with cream cheese and breadcrumbs, served with cubed roasted potatoes and sauteed mix of broccoli, pine nuts, red onion and cherry tomatoes.
Thursday was a delicious takeaway curry.
Friday was a one pan fry up type thing of rump steak, halloumi, red onion, peppers and rice/quinoa mix with some paprika, cumin and chilli type flavours.

Yesterday, I had more of the mix (minus the rice) in a wrap for breakfast.
Lunch was a ham and cheese sandwich after I'd been shopping.
We went out for tea to a new burger place. I had buttermilk fried chicken topped with mozzarella and lemon pepper aioli. It was delicious.

Today, I had a piece of toast before spinning.
A frying pan job of mushrooms, ham, cherry tomatoes, a scrambled egg and cheese inside a wrap when I got home.
Tea has been a quick veggie/bean chilli with rice, salsa and Greek yoghurt in the absence of soured cream.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 11:08 am

On Saturday
Breakfast ... sugar free Alpen
Lunch ... smoked sprats and green salad
Supper ... Macaroni cheese

Sunday
Breakfast was late and consisted of lots of coffee after our disturbed night
Lunch ... cod and parsley fishcakes
Supper ... a home-made 'Cornish-style' steak and onion pasty and leftover macaroni cheese

I didn't have the energy to cook yesterday after the nocturnal goings on so the casserole intended for Sunday will be made today for tonight's supper. We ate whatever was in the fridge :rolleyes:
Last edited by suffolk on November 13th, 2017, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 13th, 2017, 11:44 am

Breakfast: Bite size shredded wheat and milk
Lunch: coronation chicken sandwich thin and a small bag of crisps
Dinner: Chicken salad and new potatoes followed by Strawberries and creme fraiche
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 13th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Today is a medley of recent hits
Crumpets again for breakfast ( :luv: Iceland sourdough crumpets)
The minestrone I made last night for lunch
The Lancashire hotpot I made on Saturday for supper

This means I need to do no cooking while the gas engineer takes over the kitchen :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Breakfast , for him, was porridge and maple syrup.

Lunch was eggs Benedict followed by a clementine and 2 fresh dates. They looked so lovely on the plate, the green leaves on the clementines and the shiny dates.

Supper, at Mr R's request is mince and dumplings with carrots and Brussels sprouts. I think Savoie pears afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 13th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I think I might ditch the salad idea and make a curry instead, the temperature has dropped dramatically :shock:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 13th, 2017, 3:55 pm

icelesley wrote:I think I might ditch the salad idea and make a curry instead, the temperature has dropped dramatically :shock:

Or a laksa or tom yum soup. Kind of fresher like a salad but with the warming qualities that a salad fails to offer
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Today
Breakfast was some dried apple slices, raw carrot sticks and coffee
Lunch was half a tin of sardines in olive oil on wholemeal toast
Supper will be shin of beef casserole with Clapshot and Brussels sprouts
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 13th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Half a slice of Hovis and 2 cups of T

Half a cup of soup and a lamb mince kebab in a Chapati

Mixed tapas (olives, cream cheese stuffed mini peppers, stuffed mushrooms, mini mozzarella balls cherry tommys,) Turkish skinney green peppers, HM sliced dill pickles and remoska savoury scones. Maybe a slice of parkin or HM malt loaf if required.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 13th, 2017, 6:28 pm

We had friends round for an impromptu Sunday roast after a walk yesterday and a pub pit stop. We had roast pork with stuffing etc and apple tart afterwards.

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs this morning.

Dinner is duck breasts, garlic potatoes, cavolo nero, pancetta, port, thyme and red currant. It's smelling good and I'm starving.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby EmWilk » November 13th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Breakfast was a croissant and coffee.
Lunch was a burrito made with last night's leftover chilli, etc. Plus a banana and tangerine.
Mini snickers and cup of tea in the afternoon.
Tea was Aldi tomato and mozzarella sourdough pizza again :tu:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 13th, 2017, 8:53 pm

banana
quite a few mixed nuts and raisins
Branflakes with sultanas
a salt and vinegar rice cake
and some proper food: a not very imaginative, but quite tasty chickpea, tomato, onion and spinach thing with cumin, hot smoked paprika, s-d tomato paste and garlic. I might have seconds with feta, instead of today's parmesan, on top tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 15th, 2017, 9:39 am

Last night I made a couple of four seasons pizzas to suit all requests. My preference was the garlic spinach, mushroom, pine nut and pecorino quarters. OH had njuda, basil and olives and DD nabbed lots of the margarita and parma ham.

I'm currently enjoying a very early morning 'Kind' chocolate, nut and sea salt snack bar at work as they've sent us loads as we're doing some research for them. It's reminding me of a particularly nice peanut brittle.

Tonight I think I'm going to do something with Thai flavours and chicken. That's as far as I've got! We've got a lime, chillies, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves etc so perhaps a Thai green curry with rice or a spicy soup
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 15th, 2017, 10:31 am

Yesterday
Breakfast was muesli
Lunch was wholemeal toast fingers with some taramasalata
Supper was two panfried herrings in oatmeal with a fennel and orange salad.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 15th, 2017, 10:44 am

Breakfast was granola and yogurt
After that I snacked while I was cooking, an apple, some cheese and bits of fruit and veg
Then it was Cookbook club, cheese and wine, bruschetta, courgette and goat's cheese tart (mine and another one), bits and bobs, then cake for dessert. All Ina Garten recipes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 15th, 2017, 11:53 am

Breakfast: bacon and beans on toast
Lunch:ham salad sandwich thin
Dinner pork steak in sweet chilli sauce on a bed of steamed veg and rice mixed in (savoury rice type thing to use up the veg in the fridge) followed by home made apple and pear crumble and custard. :chops:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 15th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Coffee and a croissant after shopping

Rest of last evenings mince and tattie pie with pickles and coleslaw. Grapes afterwards.

Tonight wild mushroom risotto follwed by an instant apple tart - ie slices of apple on thing rounds of puff pastry with sugar on top.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 16th, 2017, 8:49 am

Breakfast: toasted cheesey muffins

Lunch; Ham salad sandwich thin

Dinner: spag bol and garlic bread followed by a yoghurt
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext