What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby MagicMarmite » December 5th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Well daughter didn't like the chilli, she said it was too hot, as predicted I didn't fancy it so it's in the freezer.
We had some cheese and biscuits, yoghurt and satsumas instead.
Tonight is ready meal fish pie and I don't fancy that either!
I'm not very good at eating atm.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 5th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Hope you're ok MM.

I had weetabix banana minis this morning.
Lunch was a depressing affair of a tiny amount of leftover bokkeumbap, a mug shot and some very tired grapes.
Tea has been much better... peppers, red onion, courgette and cherry tomatoes charred and then mixed with cubed, sauteed potatoes and a passata based sauce. Served with veggie sausages.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 6th, 2017, 10:51 am

On Sunday night, OH and I ended up sharing lobster spring rolls and gyoza.

On Monday night we had a strange concoction of sweet potato, loads of green vag and bacon with some pesto spooned through. Not having a fridge is really getting on my nerves! Yesterday I was manic at work so lunch was some salad leave someone donated and a tin of spag hoops with meatballs taken from the hurricane supplies (note to self, don't bother buying those next season!). Had planned chicken madras for dinner but when we shopped in the way home, no chicken so I bought beef and it was chewy. The veg and sauce were nice though. Lunch is the weekly chicken roti - wish I could somehow share as they are so good. Might try taking a pic and sharing on Facebook. Dinner is going to be noodles of some sort.
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 6th, 2017, 1:56 pm

I think I'm making Jamie O's minestrone soup tonight. The one served with all the mini dishes for people to flavour/finish their own soup...so bowls of grated parmesan, crispy cubes of pancetta and garlic and rosemary ciabatta croutons.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 3:29 pm

He had porridge with sultanas and cinnamon for brekkie, I had a spoonful. Lunch for him was Mamtas broccoli in a toasted sarnie. I had a very small portion of barley and veg slurried down to make a sort of soup. Supper is Avo. and salmon with lime and a small portion of steak, baked tato half and some stir fried veg. and a glass of white and red respectively.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 6th, 2017, 7:14 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I think I'm making Jamie O's minestrone soup tonight. The one served with all the mini dishes for people to flavour/finish their own soup...so bowls of grated parmesan, crispy cubes of pancetta and garlic and rosemary ciabatta croutons.

And pesto
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 6th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Rocky please share a pic of the roti on fb, I always think it sounds fab!

I had a banana butty for breakfast.
I was offsite at a meeting all day. Normally, I'd look forward to one of a couple of nice dishes but as they would t have been SW friendly, I picked a rubbish, grilled chicken burger. It was dry and tasteless and the salad was pitiful.
I sneaked a chocolate bourbon on the afternoon but managed to avoid the divine looking chocolate orange fudge cake :drool:
I'm about to make spiced chicken breast, dahl and sprouts & pea bhaji.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 7th, 2017, 12:12 am

EmWilk wrote:spiced chicken breast, dahl and sprouts & pea bhaji

Now that does sound good
Catherine
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 7th, 2017, 11:56 am

Catherine wrote:And pesto

Oh, yes! Thanks Catherine - i'd forgotten about that bit! We ended up getting a take away in the end last night so the soup is on the cards tonight. With pesto :D

I'm working from home while MIL looks after DD...I need to think about lunch soon for us all and it'll probably be something like a frittata or smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Yesterday it was the usual coffee and croissant after shopping
The rest of Tuesday's mince and tattie ie with pickles and chutney for lunch, followed by clementines.
Supper was confit dusk legs with sarladaise potatoes and cauliflower. Pud was a rice and pineapple parfait

This morning we had a winer fruit salad for breakfast with added orange segments
Lunch was a prawn avocado and cos lettuce open sandwich on rye
Supper will be sausages cooked in white wine with parmesan polenta and broccoli. Dessert is possibly a rum baba. I noticed one had sneaked into the shopping yesterday - and it wasn't me!!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 7th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Banana
A weird falafel and chestnut wrap at the airport and a whole bag of whips bites :o
Kasespatzle : nicer than it looks and *very* filling. Couldn’t eat it all.
A1CA35F7-DB90-4152-81E4-26B8FAF6E092.jpeg

A chocolate pudding thing from the supermarkt
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 8th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Egg bacon and toast for brekkie, HM celery soup for lunch with a slice of apple cake for me, he had half a brioche roll with his soup. Supper was to be moussaka but got tempted by the sound of the fish and chip van at 5pm so moussaka is on the back burner for tomorrow evening. The only thing we have to do is open a tin of 2012 peas....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 8th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Hope the mouse arka doesn't get overdone on the back burner Zosh!,

Winter fruit salad for breakfast

Lunch, out was for me Smoked salmon maison. Veal sweetbreads cooked in hay with salsify and spiced pear all followed by a deconstructed Mont Blanc with a marron glace mousse and little pieces of marrons, vanilla icecream and meringue crumbs
Mr R had a squash veloute with crispy pancetta toping followed by a supreme of guinea fowl cooked in a local sweet wine and served on a celariac puree with girolles. He had the same dessert as me - wisely.

We have just nibbled on some hummus and pitta bread
Last edited by Ratatouille on December 9th, 2017, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 8th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Sounds delish Rats.. :chops:

Our supper of fit chip and pea was just what we wanted on this cold winters night. Glass of chardonnay went down a treat. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 9th, 2017, 8:09 am

Yesterday I had Schwarzwaldekirsch Torte with coffee. Somehow missed lunch. Had a sod it moment late afternoon and had apple cake (thick tart) with a salted caramel topping.
Dinner was in a Greek restaurant (only place we could get a table. It was packed in Karlsruhe last night.) I had ‘Greek noodles’ in a tomato sauce with cheese. Just that. It was very filling and the restaurant was rather on the very loud side.
One bloke in particular had a very piercing high pitched loud laugh that would not have seemed out of place in a Restoration Comedy. There were also quite a lot of possibly drunken roars and shouts for more ouzo at regular intervals :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » December 9th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I'm still rocking the horrid bug so just JP's, beans, cheese and yoghurts.
I know I'm not well as I'm not even bored with it.
I am fed up with this horrid bug though.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby smitch » December 9th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Breakfast was halloumi and avocado muffin and a coffee at the station. We thankfully managed to miss the snow. Dinner was at Ottolenghi in Spitalfields, quiche, rice, cauliflower and broccoli. We shared a slice of apple cake for pud. Food was as fab as always.

Don’t think I’ll bother with tea. Have some leftovers from dinner plus some other treats we picked up pottering around this afternoon!
smitch
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 9th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Sounds lovely Smitch.

Yesterday dint have lunch but we hosted a party for special needs kids and there were some HM chicken nuggets that I had. Dinner we went to the local quiz that has started for the first time since Irma - progress! I had shrimp risotto which was lovely.

Today shared cracked conch and fish tacos for lunch. Dinner is sicilillian sausage casserole with broc.

In almost exciting news we were connected to mains power yesterday. Exciting in that the water pump works so we have running water but slightly depressingly only two other sockets work which suggests a fairly fundamental problem. No power in bathrooms upstairs or washing machine but at least a tiny step in the right direction.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 10th, 2017, 12:01 am

Rocks ! :hug: :hug:

He had porridge with pureed nectarine and cinnamon & yoghurt for brekkie (it was a very cold night) Lunch - Mexican quiche, remoulade and red cabbage slaw and a couple of rustic rolls shared. Supper was a small moussaka and some chips.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 10th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Yesterday I had a lovely lunch at Polpo. I'm very lucky to living just down the road from Exeter, which has recently had a big restaurant development open in the last year, so we.re spoilt for choice now. Polpo is all about sharing plates, which suits me and my mum when we go to Exeter for shopping. We were far too greedy , but shared chicken and mushroom tagliatelle, fritto misto with aioli , gnocchi with squash, hazelnuts and sage butter, plus some focaccia and a bottle of prosecco. Was wonderful although we both felt very garlicky afterwards.

Today I had pancakes for Brunch with raspberries and a trickle of cream. Trying out a new recipe tonight from Diana Henry to use up some smoked haddock in the freezer. It's smoked stovies, which bakes the haddock in a creamy,cheesy sauce topped with tomatoes. I'll have with peAs and carrots, plus maybe a few oven chips if I'm hungry
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 10th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Oh dear.
Started well (or deliciously at least) with strawberry yoghurt gateau: yum!
Missed lunch while not travelling to the airport.
Then bread and margarine and veggie slicing sausage. My husbands doesn’t bother much with dinner when I am not here it seems. Too cold and tired to eat out and no supermarkets open. Gone to bed hungry! Unexpected last chance for German dessert though tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 11th, 2017, 10:36 am

Catherine wrote:
EmWilk wrote:spiced chicken breast, dahl and sprouts & pea bhaji

Now that does sound good

It really was. Bhaji was using mamta's recipe for cabbage and pea bhaji.

Thursday I had a very unsatisfying and high syn Costa bacon roll.
Lunch was and odd combo of potatoes in a roasted veg and tomato sauce with some leftover indian spiced chicken.
Out for tea with mum, sister, her OH and my OH. I had calamari to start and roasted cod loin in a tomatoey sauce with new potatoes for main.

.Friday was the day from hell. I'd just got to the office (which had taken 1.5 hours because of the snow) porridge in hand when my dad called to say that leo had had seizure and the paramedics were there. In the end he was ok, it was temperature related and he's almost back to normal self now but it was very scary. Anyway, a full day at the hospital later and having not eaten, I had a migraine just to add to it all. I eventually ate jacket potato, cheese and beans about 9pm.

Saturday I had a ham salad sandwich mid morning.
Lunch was some soup at my dad's.
Out for Xmas do in the evening. I had tempura prawns, chicken toscana and chocolate fudge cake plus a few drinks.

Sunday, I had what can only be described as a pizza toastie... passata, mushrooms, salami and cheese.
Went out for tea and had a very decent Sunday roast.

Today, I'm off work with Leo as his temp is still high so I'm going to make a veggie breakfast shortly.
Soup for lunch i think.
And tea may be a turkey, bacon, cheese and salad on toast. Perhaps with a few chips if I an be bothered making them.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Amber » December 11th, 2017, 9:37 pm

:( hope Leo is ok, it must’ve been very scary for everyone.
Amber
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 12th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Hope leo is recovering Em.
Yesterday was a porridge day

Lunch was French onion soup followed by clementines

Supper was slices of left over beef with fresh YPs and the rest of the gravy with bubble and squeak
We finished off the trifle afterwards :drool:

Today,Winterfruit saalad with yogurt for breakfast - just fruit for me.

Lunch was a Cheddar, watercress and Marmite roll and fresh dates

Supper is to be cottage pie, stir fried sprouts. Apple compote with calvados afterwards
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 12th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Wow, you have been busy eating
Lost track, but on Saturday had some chicken livers "Venice style" *with caramelised onion and balsamic vinegar, on Sunday had lovely cauliflower and potato soup with a slice of rye sourdough while out, and then in the evening cooked the nicest pheasant I've ever had .
It had been perfectly dressed, and was a big plump bird (visible subcutaneous fat) and hung just so - smelled slightly smoky but not "off" - in fact it smelled so smoky when raw I mentally accused the butcher of dressing it with smoked bacon, but he hadn't. Cooked it just right (to 73 deg C and it was very nice with roast potato, parsnip and carrot, and a few sprouts, and wine gravy made with good chicken stock

Yesterday breakfast was baked apple, granola and yogurt
Picked at bits while cooking and tidying up
Stripped the pheasant, made a stock with the bones and leftover gravy then made a mushroom and pheasant fricassee, had with some mashed potato, braoad beans and peas
Today had porridge for breakfast, some squash and sweet potato soup with brischetta topped with "chopped liver " made from the left over chicken livers,
Not sure about tonight, as out and don't think I'll eat again before I go.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 12th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Suff. you are slipping......

Poached egg on toast, and very small bun of bread and melted cheese, and half a mug of celery soup. Later on 2 crackers with some hummus. Supper will be a ding dinner of roast lamb and veg with a baked tato.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 13th, 2017, 1:32 am

Thanks Amber and Rats, he seems to be doing fine and dandy now :tu:

Today, I had an alpen bar and a banana for breakfast plus 2 cups of coffee.
Lunch was leek and potato soup, wholemeal bread and a yoghurt plus a bag of crisps.
Tea has been chicken curry, yet more greens - dry curry/bhaji style, and rice.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 13th, 2017, 1:52 am

EmWilk - poor little chap. And you. :hug: :hug: to you both
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 13th, 2017, 9:41 am

Sorry to hear about Leo Emma, glad he's back to his usual self now.

Sunday we had spaghetti and meatballs in tomato sauce with basil and pecorino.

Monday was a Spanish rice dish with lots of peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, paprika, saffron, lemon, herbs, chicken, chorizo and prawns.

Last night we made chicken katsu curry which we had with rice and some spicy stir fried greens.

My nail girl is coming round tonight so dinner will be something quick beforehand...possibly a smoked salmon and watercress fritatta or with scrambled eggs on toast.

Lunch is a Christmas sandwich from Boots eaten at my desk before I do a quick whizz round trying to get the last couple of presents for stockings!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 14th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Yesterday was a veggie chilli nacho bake at the 3 Kings with colleagues for lunch
dinner was cheat's aligot - mashed potato with lots of butter, some cantal cheese and lots of black pepper.
lunch today was some M&S butternut squash salady thing
dinner: creamy mushroom späztle
I've had the odd lebkuchen here and there too...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » December 14th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Wasn't going to bother with breakfast but had to go for an unexpected blood test so thought I'd better have something. Ended up with nut butter and jam on toast, plus orange juice, decaf coffee and a pint of water.

Dinner was a cheese and pickle sandwich on an oven bottom muffin. Tea was veggie sausage and lentil stew followed my a mince pie.
smitch
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 14th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Yesterday was alpen bar and fruit for breakfast.
Lunch was leftover curry and rice.
Tea was quorn bolognese & linguine.

Today, I skipped breakfast.
Lunch was leftover bolognese and rice plus fruit and quavers.
Late tea of tomato, mushroom and cheese omelette with toast.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 15th, 2017, 10:21 am

Wednesday was the usual croissant and coofee after shopping
Lunch was the rest of the cottage pie and some salad, followed by a clementine
Supper was veal Milanaise and the remaing compote afterwards.

Yesterday. Porridge for the porridge eater
Lunch was watercress soup and a fresh crusty roll followed by grapes
Supper was lamb casserole with dumplings and lemon buttered leeks. Pears savoie for pud.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 15th, 2017, 10:43 am

Train chaos last night meant a late dinner. I ended up making a flatbread and topped it with sauteed onions, garlic, chilli, sliced tomatoes and grated halloumi - put it under the grill at the very end so the cheese was melted and crispy. I flash fried some sliced lamb leg steaks which we piled on top of the flat bread with some basil, lemon wedges and sliced olives to serve.

Cereal for breakfast today. I'm working from home but we've got a family lunch out in a local deli/restaurant as some relatives are over to do a pre-Christmas present swap. They do a very nice rosti thing with smoked salmon so I might have that.

Early drinks tonight in a pub near MIL's as it's her birthday. The pub puts out impressive charcuterie, cheese, bread and fruit platters every Friday from 5pm so I think dinner will be mostly that! We might have some pandoro or a snack later this evening if we need it.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 15th, 2017, 2:50 pm

starving after 3 hours tramping round the off limits bits of Euston Underground station: butternut squash dansak from Pret, and cheese and jalapeno corn muffin from the Kings Cross market. An ecclefechan slice from the same market.

edit: that ecclefechan was a revelation. Nothing like the offerings Sainsbury's have, which was my only source of them until now. utterly delicious. I need a recipe!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 15th, 2017, 10:01 pm

What is ecclefechan, I'm intrigued ? Love the way it sounds

OMCO, that dinner sounds absolutely lovely, apart from hell-loumi. :)
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby smitch » December 16th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Breakfast was nut butter and jam on toast with a decaf coffee.

We had a lovely Christmas afternoon tea in the next town/village along from us but brought most of the sweet stuff home. It consisted of a Brie and cranberry sandwich, a cheese & pickle sandwich (turkey & stuffing for OH) a mini waffle (with bacon for my husband) plus a mini spiced parsnip soup. We ate the scone with clotted cream & jam but brought home a mini ferrero rocher cupcake, a mini mince pie, a macaron, a ginger biscuit star and a millionaire shortbread each. We had tea and prosecco with the food :chops:

It is much more touristy in Uppermil where the cafe was so we had a wander round the shops before going to a bar for a beer or two. Am still full from earlier so I think we'll just have a bit of crusty bread and cheese for tea. We've also cracked open some of our Christmas beers :tu:
smitch
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 16th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 16th, 2017, 7:52 pm

The halloumi made it pkc!! :lol:

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

A sausage roll and later a freshly made doughnut throughout the day amid all sorts of Father Christmas/reindeer/giant snow globe and Frozen character carnage :shock: We're all shattered!

Lovely pub dinner afterwards. I had the Japanese tasting plate of various sushi, salad, salmon skewers and teryaki crispy beef.

There's mulled wine simmering on the hob so that will be desert. As it's nearly Christmas :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 16th, 2017, 8:21 pm

smitch wrote:We had a lovely Christmas afternoon tea in the next town/village along from us but brought most of the sweet stuff home. It consisted of a Brie and cranberry sandwich, a cheese & pickle sandwich (turkey & stuffing for OH) a mini waffle (with bacon for my husband) plus a mini spiced parsnip soup. We ate the scone with clotted cream & jam but brought home a mini ferrero rocher cupcake, a mini mince pie, a macaron, a ginger biscuit star and a millionaire shortbread each. We had tea and prosecco with the food

Wow that sounds amazing
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 16th, 2017, 8:22 pm

lunch was Covent Garden Soup ribollita with barley (I think)
dinner is cauliflower cheese with cheddar, and Hartington Peak white, mustard, Italian garlic seasoning and a bit of sweet smoked parprika.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 16th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:What is ecclefechan, I'm intrigued ? Love the way it sounds

Here is a recipe for it, which I actually made earlier!

https://londoneats.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... tter-tart/

It's very rare that I am inspired and so quickly galvanized to actually make something! Must be the Christmas spirit or something ;)
Mine looks a bit darker than the one in the recipe. I used dark soft brown sugar, plus I over cooked it slightly. It was a bit remiscent of my jam making. I panicked because it didn't seem to be setting.. Waiting for husband to come home.
Last edited by Herbidacious on December 16th, 2017, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » December 16th, 2017, 10:10 pm

That looks amazing Herbi.

Had an amazing experience on Thursday with some :chops: food thrown in. We decided that instead of an office party we would do a community project. A boat company donated a boat and we went to one of the outr islands and repaired and painted the house of the oldest woman there - who is sheltering her 6 siblings in a tiny house. One colleague provided bacon sarnies on the way over. Mid afternoon we went to the beach and had a really cool Caribbean buffet of curry chicken, mahi mahi in a spicy tomato sauce, rice n peas and loads of sticky plantains and a few :cocktail: Nicest day I've had for ages. OH picked me up from the boat with takeaway noodles so we didn't have to cook :luv:

Yesterday I thought I would finish work at 1 so didn't take lunch and was too busy to get out but managed to find a ration pack leftover from when the military was here. The Mexican beans are not to be recommended .....

Dinner was steaks and a veg / salad made of everything that needed to be used up. We still haven't quite cracked the no fridge / need ice situation.

This morning up at the crack of dawn As I am on holiday :bounce: :bounce: and am meeting mum in Miami. Breakfast was a cereal bar. Lunch was some jerky and a bag of crisps. Mum is about to arrive so prosecco shortly. Have bought some snacks we might have in the room or might venture out. Chatting and prosecco key!
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 16th, 2017, 10:21 pm

That sounds fantastic (the first thing!) Rocky. I'd much rather do that than an office party. I hope you have fun with your mother!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 17th, 2017, 11:58 pm

Rocky, what a cool alternative and how exciting you're on your hols! Enjoy!

Friday, I had jacket potato, cheese, beans and salad for lunch.
Tea was rump steak, chips and sauteed courgette, green beans, garlic and tomatoes.

Saturday, I went out for a breakfast I've been wanting to try for ages. It was a 3 tiered breakfast stand and included... a smoothie shot, melon, lots of berries, granola and yoghurt, a mini croissant, a slice of fritatta, a sausage, bacon & egg barm, "continental" :? Ham and cheese, a blueberry muffin and unlimited tea and coffee!! It was fab!
Nothing until pizza at night.

Today, bacon and egg mcmuffin before Christmas shopping (the start of it :rolleyes: )
A slice of leftover pizza mid afternoon.
Sister made a slimming world friendly lasagne which had loads of veg and a white sauce made with low fat cottage cheese. Plus salad and wedges.

Will hopefully restart the plan tomorrow!
EmWilk
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop