What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:If its the couple I'm thinking of they might bring you some of their spare produce :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh 'eck!!! :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2018, 5:40 pm

I've shredded some more golden beetroot and courgette both straight from the garden, and tossed it all in a wholegrain mustard vinaigrette sort of thing to have with the pizza :chops:

And very tasty it was too ... it will be happening again :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 8th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Just had my favourite chicken curry for lunch. OH is out for dinner so not sure what I'll have. Fancy something light. I have some smoked salmon so might incorporate that....
Rocky
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 8th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Oh dear, the best laid plans ... :rolleyes:
Started with a frozen strawberry and melon smoothie but gave in and had a sausage and egg McMuffin later. Things were so manic at work the management bought us trays of massive iced buns during the afternoon.
For supper I had the salad I had been going go have for lunch and the last of the ice cream.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2018, 10:32 pm

I have found the perfect time to raid the Co-op RTC section. 8pm. I popped in for bread and hummus to have with my salad for dinner.

Came back with:

Falafel and hummus wrap (despatched very quickly)
Punnet of raspberries (they followed the wrap)

And for tomorrow or the freezer:

2 x pint skimmed milk
Carton of creamy custard
Punnet of strawberries
Tray of chargrilled chicken breast slices
6 wholemeal pitta

How's that for £1.81? :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 8th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Yesterday I shared a mixed vegetarian antepasti platter with OH then had an M&S Eaton mess (my goodness these are delicious) ’Dinner’ was a slimfast bar. I had put on a bit of weight this morning, having lost 2lbs since Wednesday after this.
Today, caprese salad, and sticky toffee pudding with ice cream!!! (Very delicious) and another slimfast bar. Hoping weight stabilised. I know STP. But it was worth the calories in this instance.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 9th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Our bbq beef was lovely last night and there and is enough left to make a Thai beef salad for tonight. I'll do the apricots with nougat again too - quick, delicious and easy - what could be better? So that's supper sorted.

Lunch was baked Florentine eggs with some country style bread dippers, followed by melon.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 9th, 2018, 4:17 pm

So far, the odd raspberry (two varieties), loganberry gooseberry, jostaberry, blackcurrant, white currant and red currant... while my tree man was taking pictures of the trees. A smoothie at the station as I was expiring. A Slimfast bar :scared: Some truffle cashews, and a few mixed buts and dried fruit.

Not sure about dinner. V hungry again. I may just have a salad. On the other hand, I might have chilli. Not had time to pick up ricotta for courgette balls. Tomorrow maybe.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 9th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Breakfast was skipped :oops: but more than made up for at the Chilterns Gateway cafe with the biggest jacket potato with baked beans, cheese, side salad and coleslaw. The cheese was seriously tasty, as were the views while eating it!

Dinner was chargrilled chicken breast, Jersey Royals, green beans and kale with pesto mayo dressing. Now I am torn between choc ice or strawberries.....decisions, decisions.....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 9th, 2018, 6:27 pm

A bit haphazard again today :oops:.
Breakfast was some leftover rice and egg.
Lunch - big fruit salad and ice cream.
Supper - garlic bread, Danish blue, salad. The first two were RTC bargains. More fruit and ice cream afterwards.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 9th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Saturday, the nervous footy nibbles were the last ofnthe ham and a few forkfuls of noodles, cold out ofnthe leftovers tub!
Tea was indeed a takeaway as expected. We got indian but I was too hot to be bothered so didn't eat much.

Sunday, I had a veggie sausage and cheese roll for breakfast.
A piece of birthday cake.
Went out for the day with Leo, dad and his OH and we had a small picnic. I had egg sandwiches and some crisps. Oh and more cake!
Later on, I had steak, veg and noodles and a few too many munchies when my brother brought them round.

Today, I had a Tangerine for breakfast.
Some baked crisps for a snack.
Lunch was leftover noodles and veg and some veg sushi.
Strawberries, melon and pineapple.
A few more leftover noodles when I got home.
Tea has just been more steak, broccoli and a bake of potatoes, red onion, passata, garlic, chilli and paprika with a bit of cheese on top.
The munchies and cake in the fridge are just too much temptation!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 9th, 2018, 10:27 pm

4 Maryland choc chip cookies :o :o for brekkie with :mug:

Dolmades and salad for lunch with a pastry :o :o for pud

A shared sirloin steak, half a baked tato and french beans from the garden. Salted caramel matchmakers and a handful of cashews :o :o

Bad day for the naughties !!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2018, 4:14 pm

I did the ultimate dieting foolish thing - Slimfast porridge gloop for breakfast, cereal for lunch (because had nothing else and it's a school day so no time) Then I discovered half a bar of Tony's Chocolonely (white) which I'd brought in for comfort eating the day I was flying to Frankfurt. There is some, er a bit left. My weight had gone up a bit (1lb having lost 2lbs. Both small fry) at the weekend - could be the Eton Mess and STP... and now, well. Tempting to give up? I have a new swimming garment to try on this evening though. it could be a deciding factor.

Dinner will involve French beans from the garden. Wish I had a lemon. Was thinking maybe feta, green beans, lemon, garlic, pine nuts sort of thing. Of course there are courgettes to eat too...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Breakfast was some leftover mandarin segments in orange jelly and custard :oops: topped up with a sprinkle of granola and milk.

Lunch was a bowl of homemade spicy tomato soup. It was so good I think I will have it again tomorrow served chilled. Today I had it hot (could have done with a sprinkling of grated Cheddar) with two small slices of seeded wholemeal bread. Choc ice. Nectarine.

I have two meat free burgers in the oven topped with slices of halloumi and these will be served in wholemeal pitta with salad and sweet chilli sauce.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 10th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Breakfast- egg and rice
Lunch (picnic with GD): sausages, babybel, crudites, hummus, breadsticks. Fruit. Ice cream in park.
Supper: same kind of thing with fish fingers instead of sausages.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2018, 6:48 pm

I can confirm. I :luv: grilled halloumi!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 10th, 2018, 8:46 pm

For breakfast I had 2 veggie sausage in a wholemeal pitta
Lunch was leftover potato bake, broccoli and a veggie sushi pack.
I also had a tangerine, strawberries, melon and pineapple. I feel like I had somehing else I'm forgetting about?!
Very late tea as I went shopping after Leo was in bed. I'm just waiting for it to come out the oven now... chicken, peppers, red onion, courgette and halved cherry tomatoes, all roasted.
I also snuck in a mini falafel. Might have another in fact!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 10th, 2018, 9:14 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I can confirm. I :luv: grilled halloumi!

To be honest uncooked halloumi really isn't that great. It is much better grilled or fried. I'm not sure I've ever been served it uncooked and I don't think I'd want to eat it uncooked either. You could also try coating it in batter and deep frying it - popular in fish and chips shops as a vegetarian alternative
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2018, 11:27 pm

i think halloumi is great uncooked, too. it's nice to have a different textured cheese and i love its minty saltiness.
i have never seen battered (yeuk) halloumi in a chip shop. i don't understand why they would do that. the delight of cooking halloumi is to get the golden crispy layer of cheese, which is less likely to happen if it's been battered.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2018, 11:55 pm

I'd try anything battered! But this as it was was gorgeous. I think it was EmW said about it squeaking. I found it squeaked more uncooked. Cooked it had a nicer squeak.

I text my mum after tasting it 'Ere that grilled halloumi they serve on Sainsbury's cooked breakfast is lovely. Just staying,' Reply 'Subtle hint or what?' :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2018, 7:01 am

There is a halloumi made in London that is great uncooked, presumably because it’s very fresh. I quite like nibbling on the brined stuff too, but I suppose is not really cheese board fodder.

I ended up having my home grown French beans with a little olive oil, garlic, a grind of smoked paprika, pine nuts and a final splash of lemon oil, and Parmesan shavings. After that I had feta baked with oregano and thyme and a little sun dried tomato paste. Lots of black pepper. Tapas for one :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 11th, 2018, 9:57 am

Not updated for a while! I've had a quick read over the last few weeks - I hope everyone is well.

I've had some lovely food in the northern part of Zakynthos including some fantastic Greek staple dishes as well as brilliant seafood.

I've had a stomach bug for the last few days since we got back however, and have just managed toast, rice crispies and apples. Feeling better, and starving, today!

Breakfast was cereal and a piece of toast.

I've snacked on a few cocktail sausages. Lunch will be quiche and salad with some homemade salsa.

Dinner is going to be Persian chicken with pistachios and mint, served with green beans and a pilaff. Possibly some ice cream afterwards whilst watching the football.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Hope the bug's left your tummy OMCO!

Fruit and fruit juice for breakfast. Ravenous after my walk I stuffed two meat free burgers into a wholemeal pitta with lettuce, red onion, chilli mayonnaise and ketchup.

Mushroom pizza for the football.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2018, 12:41 pm

It has got to be quick and easy tonight so moules frties it is and there is some crumble left from last night.
Lunch after fighting the traffic into town was a melon, mozarella and local ham salad with our favourite minty vinaigrette.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kacey » July 11th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Love battered halloumi, have it with tartare sauce, homemade chips and mushy peas at my local. OH can't eat it as the texture once deep fried, softens quite a bit and is too much like the texture of fish!
Kacey
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Still not managed to get an ricotta to make the courgette and spinach balls - there seems to be a shortage. Of course, it didn't occur to me to pop across the road to the Italian deli. Tomorrow maybe.
Not sure about tonight. (day time: Slimfast - getting seriously bored, but it's working - things and nuts and dried fruit.) Maybe there will be something nice in my Ocado order, although I think it's mainly cat litter and the Sodastream!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Still not managed to get an ricotta to make the courgette and spinach balls - there seems to be a shortage. Of course, it didn't occur to me to pop across the road to the Italian deli. Tomorrow maybe.
Not sure about tonight. (day time: Slimfast - getting seriously bored, but it's working - things and nuts and dried fruit.) Maybe there will be something nice in my Ocado order, although I think it's mainly cat litter and the Sodastream! Ah there are tiny amounts of garlic beans and feta left over, though. Maybe with tomatoes.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Breakfast: mix of what was left in fridge to be eaten - mixed with rice.
Lunch: a Boots sandwich, fruit and a bit & seed bar.
Supper: nice to have it cooked for me. Beef casserole, veg, new pots followed by trifle. Plus 2 glasses of red wine.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 11th, 2018, 7:42 pm

I took a huge fruit salad to work today for breakfast but never got chance to eat it as I was straight into back to back meetings :rolleyes:
Instead I had it after my lunch of chicken, roasted veg and chickpeas.
I've had the most bizarre tea combination ever. One which, in the history of food, I dont reckon has ever been put together til now :lol: a wholemeal bun with a slice of turkey bacon, a chicken breast which had been marinaded in gochujang and soy sauce, a fried egg and kimchi :? Plus a huge salad.
Altogether too much protein today I reckon!?
I may still yet have a treat.
I can't watch this football, it's stressing me out!!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 12th, 2018, 8:28 am

Yoghurt with oats and fruit this morning.

Lunch will be a prawn and rocket sandwich with spring onions and paprika mayo.

Lilia has requested holiday food this evening so I might do meze as we'll all be home early. I'm thinking lamb koftas or marinaded pork with chopped salad and folded flat bread to make gyros. A greek salad, some halloumi saganaki and a selection of dips plus spicy sauces for the adults.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 12th, 2018, 8:37 am

OMCO that sounds divine! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2018, 8:46 am

Delicious sounded food OMCO.

We had out moules frites last night and very good they were. I've got some left for a chowder this evening followed by some cherry crepes. I have the crepes in the freezer and I'll make a quick cherry filling with the last cherries from the orchard.

Lunch is to be something with melon, possibly with prawns and mayo.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2018, 8:53 am

Last night I just had a mélange of courgettes from the garden, left over garden beans, feta, pine nuts, garlic, smoked paprika, fresh sage from the garden and a couple of teaspoons of sun dried tomato paste. It was actually really nice. I had an M&S Eton mess for dessert. It has vanilla mousse, white chocolate and raspberry meringues as well as raspberry compot in it. I would like to try and recreate it (albeit with bought meringues - M&SA sell mini lemon ones which might work well with raspberry.).
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2018, 5:48 pm

I couldn't face eating anything other than a small bag of Doritos with the football last night, so the pizza survived another day.

Breakfast today was a Nutrigrain bar and orange juice then my mum took me to Costa where I had an Emmenthal and mushroom toastie and a pot of Earl Grey.

Dinner was four cheese and mushroom pizza, salad and coleslaw.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 12th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Last night I just had a mélange of courgettes from the garden, left over garden beans, feta, pine nuts, garlic, smoked paprika, fresh sage from the garden and a couple of teaspoons of sun dried tomato paste.

That sounds so good :chops:
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2018, 8:12 pm

It was rather nice, Catherine. I had left overs with a bit of pasta (I realize I have not had many carbs this week apart from whatever is in the Slimfast stuff...) this evening, followed by strawberries and cream :) I also had quite a large bowl of delicious gazpacho at lunch time as well as the diet fodder.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Breakfast: cereal & blueberries
Lunch: Smoked mackerel pate and toast :chops:
Supper: Lamb chop, assorted veg & new pots. Trifle.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 12th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Nice sounding tea OMCO (and holiday)!

Today, I had fruit salad and 2 cereal bars
Lunch was chicken and Turkey bacon with lots of salad and some dressed chickpeas.
A tangerine mid afternoon.
Been out for a belated birthday tea with OH, dad and his wife. We went to a Thai place in lytham which was very nice.
OH and I shared a mixed starter.
For main I had grilled pork skewers, sticky rice and a beautiful Thai salad. I've got half left for my lunch tomorrow :tu:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2018, 8:38 am

em thanks for the mention of smoked mackerel pate. I have some in the freezer and I managed to find cottage cheese in the supermarket so I'll make some today.

Em sounds like a lovely supper. I love Thai food but have to be so careful with the coconut.

Otherwise it's chilli con carne for supper with avocado and tomato salsa and tortillas. Rice pudding French style, with apple and calvados compote afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 13th, 2018, 12:59 pm

The meze was wonderful! Everyone else's food is sounding delicious :tu:

We had bacon sandwiches this morning, and fruit for those that wanted it. We're in the middle of having parts of our back garden redesigned/landscaped etc and so have workmen here with mini diggers and all sorts, so the bacon sandwiches were because of them!

Lunch in the office of cous cous salad with chicken, peppers and feta.

We're out for an early dinner tonight with friends with kids. One of the other families has suggested one of the local golf clubs as the 'bistro style' restaurant is geared towards families. The menu seems very Italian orientated which will work for us. Pasta or pizza it is!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 13th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Nutrigrain bar this morning after my bus dropped me off in town. Yummy, easy and portable!

Lunch has just been a couple of toasted crumpets with Marmite and garlic and herb cream cheese followed by an individual mandarin segment and orange jelly and a raspberry yoghurt.

Something even simpler for dinner I think. Probably a couple of meat free burgers in a wholemeal pitta with plastic cheese and salad.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 13th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Breakfast: cereal with 1/2 banana & blueberries.
Lunch (out): Sausage & pickle in ciabatta with salad leaves & coleslaw.
Supper: Ham & egg salad with new pots. Strawberries & ice cream.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 14th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Yesterday, I had a cereal bar and a banana for breakfast.
An apple and tangerine at some point.
Lunch was leftovers from the Thai.
Tea was spicy tofu with noodles and veg but the tofu tasted really weird so I just had the noodles and veg.

Would those packs of tofu which are in liquid in a tray inside a plastic bag type packaging go off?

Today, veggie sausage, turkey bacon, boiled egg, grilled mushrooms and tomato and a bit of fruit.
Just having a wholemeal pitta full of ham, cheese and salad and a bit more fruit before i get ready for a wedding. Im devating whether to have a drink or not... we are child free so maybe!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2018, 12:23 pm

EmWilk wrote:Would those packs of tofu which are in liquid in a tray inside a plastic bag type packaging go off?

Was there no 'Use by' date?

Supper last night was a breast of lamb cooked along these lines https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the ... -ribs.html then deconstructed and shredded and sprinkled with pomegranate molasses, served with cous couse and roasted courgettes and peppers ... very tasty it was too :D

Lunch today was a very quickly prepared soup made from courgettes straight from the garden, diced and softened with an onion in butter and oil, then simmered for ten minutes in some veg stock ... I then removed a cup full of the courgette and kept it to one side while I pulverised the soup with a stick blender and returned the saved courgette and some chopped fresh parsley ... stirred in a dollop of creme fraiche and served ... delicious :chops:

Supper tonight will be sticky Asian-style beef ribs with honey, soy and star anise (it's been chuntering in the slow cooker all morning). I'll serve it with noodles and some stirfried chard and possibly some mange tout if the second lot in the garden are ready.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 14th, 2018, 12:32 pm

To celebrate the 14th I have made a soupe au pistou and we have a fougasse to go with it. Pate to follow then the friends who are joining us have promised a gateau.

Chicken and chips tomorrow to go with the footie!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm

You do have to watch the use by date on tofu.....

A boring day of eating for me today, still nice though!

Breakfast was a bowl of cornflakes with a sprinkle of nut granola and two ripe and juicy pears.

Lunch two toasted crumpets with Marmite and garlic and herb cream cheese.

Dinner will be spaghetti, veggie sausage and mushrooms in tomato pesto sauce with lots of green beans and peas. I am also going to try some shop bought custard which I stuck in the freezer!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 14th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Tonight it will be Tomasina Miers' Catalan fish stew (again)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Breakfast: cereal and blueberries.
Lunch: falafel & hummus wrap with salad and chips (rather more than the promised garnish. We saved half our wraps for tomorrow).
Supper: cheese and mushroom omelette with various veg & pots. Strawberries and ice cream.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 14th, 2018, 9:56 pm

A proper eating day today...

Lunch out in Dulwhih pub. Burrata with roasted veg on sourdough toast. Sounds good on paper, but the roast veg were more like steamed veg (not nice, espeically as included aubergine) and the toast was soggy.

The chantilly profiteroles with salted caramel sauce were delicious, but there were only three and they were tiny. About an inch across. Could definitely have managed two more :)

Dinner was baked feta (again) with a few tomatoes and a pitta bread. I drizzled with smoked rapseed oil (from Sainsbury's?) which I would heartily recommend. One of the best smoked oils I have tasted.
A very few strawberries and cream.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 15th, 2018, 8:51 am

suffolk wrote:Was there no 'Use by' date?

I'm not sure, probably, but I didn't even consider it before I cooked it and by the time I'd say down to eat, efficient OH had gone and put the rubbish in the dustbin. I'll look next time I get some.

Ate and drank too much at the wedding... traditional beige buffet 7 beers, or maybe 8! But a bit of dancing too so I don't feel too bad this mornignothwr than sore feet. I must be slightly worse for wear however as I am hankering for the wedding cake which I brought home and is in the fridge and definitely looking forward to my stodgy breakfast at Frankie and Bennys shortly... The breakfasts there are decent and you get unlimited tea and coffee which is what I need right now!
EmWilk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop