What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby aero280 » September 4th, 2019, 9:33 pm

In the spirit of experiment, I had the vegan burger for supper at the pub. It was billed as a beetroot and quinoa burger and it was fine while hot, but as it cooled it became a bit claggy. Chips were good though.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby WWordsworth » September 5th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Grapefruit & orange with granola
A bit of left over salmon with some salad
A slice of bread and a rhubarb yoghurt this afternoon as I was ravenous
Tonight will be Delia's pasta puttanesca.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 5th, 2019, 8:11 pm

We made the jumbo sausage roll tonight sliced and served with frites, green veg, a creamy peppercorn sauce and cranberry sauce on the side. It was like eating Ikea meatballs but 100 x better :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 5th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Sliced jumbo sausage roll sounds nice!

Today I finished last night's leftover sausage & veg for breakfast (there wasn't a huge amount). Egg sandwich for lunch. Jacket potato with cheese and salad for supper - and finished off some chocolate finger biscuits and some blueberries.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 6th, 2019, 3:45 pm

J pinched the last or the orange and grapefruit, so I chopped up an apple and had that with granola and Greek yoghurt
Pate on toast for lunch
Tonight will be a Thai green veg curry with rice.
I am cheating and using a jar of sauce.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 6th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Breakfast: fruit & yogurt
Lunch: a salad option with salmon in th V&A. Such a lot I couldn't manage it all. Now having a cinnamon bun and cuppa whilst waiting to go home. Won't want anything else today.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 7th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Tea and toast in bed
Pate and salad
A fruit scone in the afternoon.
Chicken and chickpea stew this evening.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 7th, 2019, 7:49 pm

I actually ate something nice today! It feels like it's been a while...

Lunch out at Franklin's in East Dulwich. This is a treat destination anyway, but I’ve been put off going for a while by their apparent obsession with generally unloved (often root) vegetables, which the one vegetarian offering always seems to involve. It's fairly safe to say that I hardly ever, possibly never, fancy eating Jerusalem artichokes or kohlrabi, especially not when there is no mitigating cheese element, as there often hasn't been. However, I don't object to celeriac every now and again, so I was happy to have celeriac, butternut squash, potato and Caerphilly bake. It was delicious. The vegetables cooked to melt-in-the-mouth consistency, with a lovely slightly caramelized element going on.
For dessert, I had bread and butter and banana pudding. It didn't taste very banana-ie, which is good, I think. It seemed to have some marmalade on/in it, and i was served with single cream. Again, really delicious.

Dinner was going to be a Thaiesque cashew, tofu, mushroom curry with beans from the garden, but husband went AWOL and I didn't have the ingredients. So, as it's got rather late, I think 'dinner' is just going to be cheese and biscuits. We have a good pecorino, some 'Shebris' (mix of cow and goats' milk) which I hope will go well with honey, and another cheese husband bought at the cheese shop.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 7th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Franklins sounds like a local veg box supplier I used to use who only supplied what they grew. All that was available in winter months was Jerusalem artichokes and celeriac. I would rather eat tinned peas ;).

Breakfast today was a toast sandwich containing melted cheese and sliced tomato. Lunch was a salad sandwich, hoola hoops and a pear. Supper was a dish using things up, mainly veg & some turkey from the freezer but based on a Thai curry with thin noodles. Much nicer than it sounds!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Brunch was grilled bacon with mushrooms, tomatoes and a poached egg, served with brown toast and a big pot of coffee.

I am currently drying tomatoes in the oven and stewing freshly picked damsons so I might have to sample them both later.

Dinner will be individual beef wellingtons with potatoes, carrots and green beans from the garden.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 8th, 2019, 1:47 pm

I love Jerusalem artichokes and celeriac. I don’t think I’ve ever had kohlrabi.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 9th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Porridge with damson puree
Salami and salad
Out for a curry tonight, how decadent on a Monday :D
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Friday we had buttermilk chicken with fries, coleslaw, salads, corn on the cob etc.

Saturday was salmon en papilotte with new potatoes, greens, lemon, white wine, herbs and various other bits thrown in that I can’t recall.

Sunday was prawn pad Thai.

Tonight we’ve had omelette with mixed mushrooms, kale, thick cut ham and a variety of cheese which needed using up. Served with a few chips and salad.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 9th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Banana at 10am. Then a Bakewell Tart flavoured Naked bar. (was hugnry for no good reason.)
Vegetarian bangers and mash with gravy for lunch. Alas the sausages were over cooked and hard. I asked for mustard - Tracklements extra strong English was offered. Nose implosion time :)
I then ate a bar of white chocolate :o
I've only just got in so I've just had a slice (homemade) bread and (Bungay) butter with (wildflower, very runny) honey for 'dinner'. A bit hotel breakfasty...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Yesterday was tomato on toast for breakfast, a lovely warm fruit scone and butter during the afternoon and an inventive mix of leftover turkey, most of the remaining veg in the fridge, half a tub of marscapone & tomato sauce from the freezer and rice for supper (delicious!).
Today was fruit and yogurt and toast and marmalade for breakfast. A home made cheese scone mini-loaf and tomato for lunch and a small steak pie (from the freezer - a rtc thing from a while back, not overly delicious) with the absolute remaining veg in the freezer and a small jacket potato for supper with a few grapes afterwards.
Must go shopping tomorrow.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 10th, 2019, 7:52 pm

twice baked souffle in a pool of cheesy cream sauce.
a Naked bar
Thai red curry with mushrooms, cashews, peas, beans from the garden, smoked tofu.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 10th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Oh I love a good soufflé herbi.

Cornflakes for breakfast, bagel filled with salmon, cream cheese and watercress after a fab gym class (think strictly come dancing coupled with a fitness routine - probably less of a work out than Zumba but lots of fun).

Dinner was a puff pastry tart, blind baked first and then topped with passata mixed with a little nduja paste, basil, tomatoes, sliced peppers, mushrooms, chargrilled cooked chicken and mozzarella. Served with a mixed salad.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 10th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Breakfast: porridge with apple
Lunch: Staffordshire oatcake made into a wrap with tahini, lettuce and tomato.
Supper: Smoked Basa with veg, mashed potato and a little cheese sauce.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Lunch: a Staffordshire pancake with cheese and lettuce.
Supper: The remains of last night's supper mashed into a cheese topped 'bake' eaten with peas and swede. Rather a winner - I might make it as a planned bake sometime!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 11th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Cereal early this morning. Tea and toast at a school mums house after the school run.

A few tapas bits with one of my best friends at lunch...crab, greens fritters, salad, sweet potatoes with crispy shallots.

We did a version of a dish we have at one of our fave restaurants tonight...seared cod loin on linguini with tomatoes, mussels, garlic, saffron, basil and cream. Really good. Although when I left the fishmongers the bag of fish fell and I accidentally ran over it with the pram. So the cod loins weren't a perfect neat shape anymore :D Still tasted good though.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2019, 8:42 pm

A Naked bar
a banana
a vegan HUGE box of delicious fried rosemary polenta, spicy brown lentils, garlicky broccoli puree, a dollop of something risottoey
Only just got home. Not sure whether to eat anything or not.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 11th, 2019, 8:58 pm

We had a Strammer Max each tonight overlooking the Mosel, and a bottle of Rotling to wash it down...
Attachments
IMG_2613.JPG
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby WWordsworth » September 12th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I am staying with friends, near Murcia.

Breakfast was pretty similar to what we have at home; fruit with granola and yogurt.
Lunch was a local delicacy - pastel de carne - which was delicious.
We are back at the house now, away from the torrential rain, I am cooking fish stew later.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 12th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Lunch was a pear and blue cheese toastie followed by grapes.

Supper is moules frites and an apple and sultana compote with a slug of Calvados to make it interesting! I got a big box of mixed apples for €2.00 this morning
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 12th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Oh wow, all you people overseas eating interesting things!

Lunch: Baxters Bean & Smoked Bacon soup
Supper: Lamb chops from the depths of the freezer - I remembered the first batch weren't great so cubed and marinaded these with garlic, lemon & rosemary all day. Sauteed and added with juices to a mix of couscous, chopped assorted veg & cubed squash with mint & parsley and more lemon. It turned out to be delicious but quite filling so there's some left. Followed by an apricot.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 12th, 2019, 11:33 pm

His is a test. I keep writing updates that breach regulations - apparently!
Rocky
Registered

Re: What are you eating today? (v4

Postby Rocky » September 12th, 2019, 11:37 pm

Yay. It’s worked. Can’t really remember a lot of food. OH has been in Hong Kong the last few weeks. I have missed a lot of meals through being too busy and had some shockingly basic. Made mahi in a spicy tomato sauce one night. Had sausage and mash another. Tonight is salmon with loads of roasted veg - including sprouts which can’t be right at this time of year. OH gets back tomorrow - and I’ve found some sushi trade tuna so tuna tartare forms the basics. Boating picnic planned for the weekend. Need some new ideas!
Rocky
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 13th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Enjoy your picnic! I suppose what you take depends what's available.

Breakfast: cheese scone
Lunch: mini custard doughnut
Supper: same as yesterday with additional veg and an apricot

Not a very healthy day :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » September 13th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Sprouts are in our supermarkets here....but I think we may be slightly more north than you are, ;) :D :D ..?
Amber
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 14th, 2019, 11:43 am

Well he was utterly shattered so I made a post and chickpea curry and he had a few bites of that and was in bed by 7:30 :shock:

I’ve had leftover curry for breakfast. I’ve made a potato, onion and pepper tortilla, some hummus and some smoked salmon and cream cheese roll up things. Aubergine chilli for dinner - if we don’t go to a bbq we have been invited to.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 14th, 2019, 12:46 pm

There were yogurt and berries forr breakfast,

Lunch was a big Greek salad with tomatoes straight from the garden. Followed by our own muscat grapes and a few ripe figs.

Supper is to be a chicken liver gougere with a green salad and apple crepes afterwards.

Out for lunch tomorrow.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 14th, 2019, 7:46 pm

We went out for dinner with friends last night. The pub is more about the garden (a massive kids play maze, huge fields and outside space to play on a summers evening) but they’ve upped their game on the food front recently which was a nice surprise. I had crab croquettes and a seafood paella with samphire...both were beautiful.

Pear, cinnamon and Nutella pancakes for breakfast. 4 cheese quiche and salad for lunch. Dinner was bahn mi rice bowls with sesame/soy/peanut pork, whole grain rice, lots of matchstick veg, lime wedges, coriander, peanuts, spring onions, shredded omelette etc. Lovely and very savoury so now I want a chocolate hobnob :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Breakfast: egg and rice
During the day - a bun and a pear
Supper: Cooked turkey from the freezer with mushrooms and fresh apricots in a bechamel sauce with green beans, carrots and potato
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » September 14th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Sounds fab OMCO.

Our little,picnic boating group surpassed themselves today. In addition to my offering, a friend had made cheese and onion pasties and a pasta salad. Someone else had chicken pastries, tomato salad and roti. A feast! We swam with turtles, judged the children’s dive bombing capability and adults were knocked off paddleboards. A blissful day after a shocking three weeks at work. Dinner is leftover bits.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Friday... um I can't remember. Strawberry AF cocktail. Something snacky at home.
Saturday - nice pub lunch. Some sort of vegetarian Wellington with a mash potato, kale (?) and a creamy peppercorn sauce. Too full for dessert.

And still too full for proper dinner! Birthday (Waitrose) trifle instead.
Sunday: a three cheese ploughman's in a 'farm shop' for lunch
'Dinner' was a one portion baked cheese fondu type thing with nice brown bread. Then later I had a scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
Lunch today: Pret vegan hummous and smoky carrot sanwich (not very smoky!)
Then mid afternoon a slice of this:

48743330478_4c2de2e0f3_z.jpg

Made by my lovely friend at work. Lemon cake wtih lemon curd filling.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 16th, 2019, 3:08 pm

That looks like a really lovely birthday cake Herbi, I would be very chuffed to be the recipient.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 3:15 pm

I agree! Lovely when people show that they care (and it sounds delicious!).

Your boating picnic sounds good too Rocky. My last couple of days have been on the hoof and included a slice of fabulous chocolate mousse cake yesterday and an almond croissant this morning, both when out with friends, as well as some healthier choices at home! Such treats.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 16th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Isn't that cake pretty, clever workmate. I am hopeless at presentation and decoration.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 17th, 2019, 7:39 am

Me too Miss Mouse. Husband is better at such things than me. I can't even plate up nicely.
There are a few people at work who are very good at this sort of thing (and get to work on baking and cooking books). My friend who did this is one of them. She once made the most amazing and immaculate Swedish Princess cake for another colleague.
It's her birthday on Thursday. I think I may buy a cake from Konditor and Cook unless someone else has volunteered. Too much stress trying to make one when I probably make, on average, less than one cake a year.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 7:46 am

Not to mention transporting it in the rush hour!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Not to mention transporting it in the rush hour!

So true, though I suppose Herbi could fashion some sort of base and put it on her head as
'novelty headwear'.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 19th, 2019, 10:03 pm

What a lovely looking cake!

Can’t recall Sunday and Mondays food.

Tuesday we had an all in one tray roast thingy of chicken thighs, chorizo, peppers, tomatoes, halved new potatoes, courgettes, basil and a few blobs of nduja.

Last night we had seafood spaghetti with a side salad.

Tonight was hairy bikers sausage and ale casserole with carrots, leeks, tomatoes, onions etc and whole grain mustard. We had it with wedges of braised savoy cabbage and chunks of crusty bread. Oh and we made ‘shopkins’ (children’s horrible plastic collectable tat) themed cupcakes after school so dessert was one of those.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 21st, 2019, 6:29 pm

Last night was pizza (aubergine and parmesan) at a newish sourdough place
Today, a National Trust (The Red House) lunch of shared cheese and pickle and egg may sandwiches (one of each), then scone with clotted cream and jam
Right now, I am making Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce II. (The one with unchopped onion and lots of butter, using tomatoes from the garden, of course :) ) Not sure if I will use it tonight. It's getting quite late. May just have bread and cheese.
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop