What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby earthmaiden » March 27th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Breakfast: none
Lunch (with GD): Fish fingers, potato faces, carrots, broccoli. Blueberries
Tea/Supper: (with GD): Sausages, cheese, tomato, pepper, baked beans, Chickpea crisps (small amounts of each). Blueberries. Cake (basic sponge which we made earlier and decorated sparingly)
Other: chocolate buttons :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 27th, 2018, 11:53 pm

EM, remind me how old your GD is.
I am struggling with Leo and his eating... the menu choices are limited. I'm still doing a good job of not getting stressed in front if him if he doesn't eat something but I'm starting to wonder when he'll try other things!

It's not that he doesn't eat... he eats loads! Never stopped for the last few days! But it's what he eats... toast, beans, cheese, yoghurt, weetabix, fruit, porridge, crackers, soup, quorn sausage, quorn nuggets, chips, quavers, biscuits. It doesn't sound too bad but there's very little green or meat/fish there. All very beige... :oops:

Apologies, gone off on one there haven't I :lol:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 28th, 2018, 12:38 am

Breakfast was about six plums.
Lunch was a small piece of fruit cake.
Dinner could only get better really. A small amount of pasta with Quorn mince in tomato sauce with a couple of new potatoes, green beans and cauliflower. Half a large tub of Onken strawberry yoghurt. Before bed half a bread roll with chickpea pate and sliced tomato.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 28th, 2018, 10:05 am

em - bad luck re Leo's eating. We have been lucky with GD in that she was weaned on veg and has gone on liking it and accepting that it is part of a meal. She particularly likes sausages, cottage pie, salmon and fish fingers in the meat and fish line. I get her to help mash the potato for the cottage pie. There are some things she does not like at all. She will be 3 in June.

We have been making mini quiches together for some time - I have some little tins which measure about 3.5" across. I buy ready made shortcrust pastry (for convenience when she's here) and cut off enough for 4 quiches and give her the rest to play with with a little rolling pin and plastic cutter set. When I've lined the tins and cut up some veg and grated some cheese she puts the veg and cheese into the cases and then helps beat the eggs and milk. We put the liquid mixture into a milk jug and pour it in together and then bake. She knows what ingredients we need now and can instruct her mum (who doesn't cook much) what to do! She usually eats nearly a whole one for tea and loves it - having helped make it. She likes making jam tarts with her bit of pastry - we make just a few tiny ones, it's the only time she gets to have jam so is a real treat.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 28th, 2018, 10:40 am

Breakfast: bitesize shredded wheat and milk

Lunch: Chicken sandwich thin and a cup a soup

Dinner: Mixed grill followed by a Greek yoghurt
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 28th, 2018, 11:05 am

Just catching up/reading back...

Rocky i've not listened to the radio piece yet but I will do, it sounds interesting.

Tonight we're having chargrilled lemongrass and lime chicken with rice vermicelli salad with peanuts, thai basil, coriander etc.

I've just done an online order for the long weekend ahead. I'm out with friends tomorrow evening but other than that have decided on...

Fri with friends - piparra chilli peppers as a snack with drinks. They're the tiny peppers where 1 in 10 tend to be very spicy and they're lovely flash fried in a little oil with s&p with a tiny bit of feta added at the very end. Main will be lamb shank rogan josh with pilau rice and garlic green beans. I'm doing decorate your own pizzas for the kids. Friends are bringing some home made baklava for dessert and i'll do a fruit salad too. What a random selection of courses that sounds! We wont care :D

Saturday - bavette steak in a baguette with lots of mustard, fried onions, garlic mushrooms, rocket and watercress.

Sunday with family - leg of lamb, dauphinoise, minted peas/leeks/green beans, roast carrots and parsnips. I'm not sure on dessert yet but we're planning an easter egg hunt in the garden if it's dry.

Monday - chicken, leeks and pancetta in a tarragon cream sauce, plus veg of some description.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 28th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Dosas and chutneys for brekkie after my hair cut

Zhug egg and toasted sourdough for lunch

Turkey mince veg and a mashed tato and 'snip thatch for supper, I will have the mince with noodles as they need using.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 28th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Em don't worry about leo they all go through it. Will he eat raw fruit and vegetable sticks ? Al our GCs knew where to find these in the fridge and that they could help themselves - and did. Last night we had risotto pirmavera with 4 spring vegetables and the stock was made using the asparagus stalks.

Breakfast was the usual coffee and croissant after shopping.
Lunch was a Dutch salad using the rest of the sausage we had on Monday. We had a big bowl each and there is enough left for tomorrow.
Espresso and a square of dark dark chocolate afterwards.
Tonight I have a farm chicken which I might well poach and serve with asparagus and an egg vinaigrette with some dill and mustard new potatoes. I may well do rummy bananas afterwards.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 28th, 2018, 8:00 pm

EM, Leo was weaned on veg too... I think we probably didn't stick to it enough or something. Anyhow, he's only 19 months so time yet I guess. Thanks Rats, yes, he loves fruit and will happily sit chomping on apple, pear, etc. He was banana mad at one point but doesn't seem too fussed at the minute. Need to try more veg though I reckon.

Anyway, today...
I had a banana butty for breakfast.
Lunch was leftover Monday Pie.
Fruit salad dressed with lime, honey and mint in the afternoon.
We take a lot of desserts to our expos and today was tasting day so I had a teeny (like 1" square) mango pastry tart.
OH is in bed poorly again. I've had a small bit of gammon, a veggie sausage, diced sauteed potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms and a fried egg. I'm starting to feel a bit off too... :scared:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 28th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Breakfast: banana
Lunch: egg and rice
Supper: leftover veg, rice and sausage in cheese sauce.

em - sounds to me as though you're doing fine! GD particularly loves carrots cooked al dente and asparagus (the season will be here soon!) and little slices of the pointed red peppers. She isn't as keen on broccoli as she used to be but small bribes work (such as no second helping of Peppa Pig spaghetti until the broccoli is eaten). :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » March 28th, 2018, 9:24 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Fri with friends - piparra chilli peppers as a snack with drinks. They're the tiny peppers where 1 in 10 tend to be very spicy and they're lovely flash fried in a little oil with s&p with a tiny bit of feta added at the very end

Haven’t heard of these before, I like padrone peppers but haven’t had a spicy one for years :? ;) :D .

A random selection of dishes sounds perfect to me. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 29th, 2018, 1:15 am

Rats - pleased you heard it - and what a great programme (the general idea I mean not the episode with me in :oops: - will def listen from now. I love radio 4. Actually the geek in me is giddy with excitement that my name was mentioned on the hallowed channel - if only it had been John Humphreys....) OMCO - thoroughly unexciting - so many have a more interesting story here.

Anyway - food. Awful week with OH and I between us being too busy. Monday he got home at 9 and I had waited to eat with him but he had to work through dinner. Food nice though - had marinated tilapia with egg, chorizo and pea fried rice with broccoli. Tuesday OH again late so I had early roasted veg and a bit of the leftovers when he had pasta and pesto when he got home. Tonight was me scuppering plans. I sent my first email at 4:45 this morning and finished work at 7:30 :shock: . I work for government and am paid accordingly so no financial reward but like many on here (Suffs and her old job for example...) it isn't always money. It was all we could do to get some takeaway noodles. But they were delicious.

All the above moaning aside - the hard work is paying off and we have just set up systems to get recovery really going so all worth it....
Rocky
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 29th, 2018, 9:00 am

Amber wrote:Haven’t heard of these before, I like padrone peppers but haven’t had a spicy one for years .

They're very similar to padron peppers but are skinnier - they look like green birds eye chillies. In each bag we usually get at least 2 or 3 hot ones so it's a good game of chilli roulette!

Emma, I wouldn't worry too much about Leo. I'm sure he'll come around to eating more things again. Lilia has gone through stages too...sometimes we tried to hide lots of veg in sauces etc and other times we ate a lot of sharing platter style dishes where we all helped ourselves. She started eating more again. We also use the rule that you have to taste everything and if you don't like it then you don't have to eat any more which meant she was at least tasting everything.

It's a bit time consuming but something else i've done is to make silly faces out of vegetables on a side plate and make a big song and dance out of the fact that she ate the nose/hair/eyes etc. That gets her eating them every time :D

Today...

An apple and cereal first thing today. I think lunch might be cheese and veg quesadillas with some salad.

I'm at a small plates style restaurant tonight. I might have their buttermilk fried chicken with brined jalapenos and sour cream if it's still on the menu. The squid gnocchi dish is also good.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 29th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Yesterday's breakfast was coffee and a banana

Lunch was a ham and mustard roll

Supper was a tuna steak, marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli, lime and kecap manis and served with udon noodles and stirfried tenderstem broccoli and slices of red pepper and ginger. OH had a salmon steak as he's not too keen on fresh tuna (mad fool :lol: ).
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 29th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Em, we have a nephew who for most of his childhood would eat nothing but cheese & tomato pizza, sausages and Heinz tomato soup (much to his mother's despair). He's grown up now and still not the world's most adventurous eater but he's very fit and healthy so I honestly wouldn't worry.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 29th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Odd diet today, devoid of healthy things...! :oops:
I have had some baguette with salt crystal beurre de baratte (sp?)
a coffee eclair
a few squares of caramel and peanut Milka (yum!)
Some Ketchup flavoured Monster Munch ;)
two from frozen gougeres with a gooey cheesy light filling (very nice indeed.)
And I am about to have a couple of little cauliflower and cheese gratins.
I may have dessert. We (er I) bought one of those selections of petit four (mini eclaires, tarte au citron etc.)

On the calorific defense, I ate very little yesterday (although most of what i ate was hardly slimming food). A bit of ricotta from a pot that would have gone off if I'd left it. (But not much. I turned my back for a second and Lily was tucking into it... If cats can tuck into things.)
A Costa chocolate tiffin
two crackers, two mini cheese portions and an unseemly amount of butter (didn't want to waste it - there was far too much for two crackers.)
No defense on the (not at all) balanced diet front.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 29th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Sourdough french toast for brekkie with banana ketchup HM :chef:

Lunch for him was a pitta with Zhug omelette and red pepper hummus :chops: :chops: I tasted it - Yum ! I had melted cheese on rye sourdough and some slices of cuc.

Beef stew with 20 veg and chestnuts - A hearty warming dish for a night of hail and rain showers.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 29th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Today's diet is probably best forgotten. It consisted mostly of hot cross buns (yes, I had them a day early :oops: ) and cake ... but I did have a salad for supper.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 30th, 2018, 10:49 am

Last night we went out for dinner and I had (shared) lobster spring rolls and then chicken schnitzel. Not sure what lunch plans are. For ip dinner friends are coming over. They come about once a week (their house is completely knackered still) and we take turns to cook the main. They are bringing beef daube this evening. I will do a starter - probably prawn and smoked salmon with horseradish and some sides. Ny ideas for beef daube? Mash? Will also do green veg of some sort.
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 30th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Thanks all for the Leo advice. I think he's realised that he has the ability to say yes and no, eat or not, say he's had enough or throw his dinner on the floor :lol: :shock: I'm sure it'll all change soon enough.

Yesterday I went to make a sausage butty with the leftover veggie sausages and realised the bread was mouldy. I'd already given Leo a piece of toast at this stage :scared: no wonder he's getting fussy :lol:
So I had the sausages on their own.

Lunch was half a very unsatisfactory panini. I also picked at bits of a very sickly brownie/blondie.
OH and I went out for curry. We had poppadoms and chutney, a veggie starter platter and I then had chicken shashlick which I barely touched I was so full.

Today, I had a proper lie in as Leo was at mums (although I was sleepwalking at 4:30 so not a full night's rest) so I gave breakfast a swerve.
I've made a really nice lunch of mashed egg, peas, mint and spring onion on top of a piece of toast with cream cheese.
OH is at work so I'm going to get chippy tea for me and Leo I think. Good Friday traditions and all...!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 30th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Rocky wrote:Last night we went out for dinner and I had (shared) lobster spring rolls and then chicken schnitzel. Not sure what lunch plans are. For ip dinner friends are coming over. They come about once a week (their house is completely knackered still) and we take turns to cook the main. They are bringing beef daube this evening. I will do a starter - probably prawn and smoked salmon with horseradish and some sides. Ny ideas for beef daube? Mash? Will also do green veg of some sort.

I
The traditional thing with bbeef daube here is macaroni - I prefer pommes pureeI
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 30th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Today we met OH's uncle for lunch. He'd rung in advance to ask if they could do vegetarian options (just for us - OH and I, and Uncle's son.)
Vagueness on what follows down to being presented with the food, apart from the dessert which we chose.)
We had an amuse bouche of celeriac soup(?) with a little nugget of frozen beetroot, served in an espresso cup. Delicious.
Then a slice of toasted bread with various cheeses, something sweet and savoury - a type of relish? placed on zig zag drizzles of something slightly viscous bright pink and probably beetrooty (!) Topped, somewhat oddly, with a very thin grissini.
The main was poached eggs on various little piles of assorted vegetables (roasted pieces of skin on potatoes, not sure what else) some of which were very slightly curried? A sliced spear of asparagus on top.
Dessert was mille feuille (or deux feuille, as Uncle pointed out :) More like brandy snap actually) with pineapple, and banana ice cream and chantilly, I think.
Then coffee and tiny whipples (new word :D ) of blackcurrant meringue.
It was all much posher than I have made it sound and very nice indeed.
Madame was very cold, verging on rude, to start with, but defrosted a bit by the end of the meal.

We tried to go for a walk after but OH got breathless after about ten yards. Very worried about him. He went to bed when we got home. Lack of central heating isn't ideal, although he has a heated blanket on and a fan heater blasting away. I shall light fires downstairs soon. We may have to come home early (and him get an emergency appointment) :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 30th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Hope he can get to the bottom of it soon Herbi :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 30th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Thanks. I really very worried indeed. He thinks it might be pneumonia (after googling...!) but he doesn't have a fever.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 30th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Ratatouille wrote:
Rocky wrote:Last night we went out for dinner and I had (shared) lobster spring rolls and then chicken schnitzel. Not sure what lunch plans are. For ip dinner friends are coming over. They come about once a week (their house is completely knackered still) and we take turns to cook the main. They are bringing beef daube this evening. I will do a starter - probably prawn and smoked salmon with horseradish and some sides. Ny ideas for beef daube? Mash? Will also do green veg of some sort.

I
The traditional thing with bbeef daube here is macaroni - I prefer pommes pureeI

Thank you
Ratatouille wrote:

I

Thank you. Not sure I fancy macaroni. Not a huge pasta fan. I suggested a light mash (pommes purée) to OH but he has requested tiny roast spuds. I usually get my waway :aww:

Lunch has been delicious tuna poke made with tan caught this morning :chops:
Rocky
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 30th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Pommes purée sounds right!

Herbie - I hope you can go somewhere to get an opinion and peace of mind very soon. :hug:

Today: the bad diet week continues ..
Breakfast: Fruit & yogurt
Lunch: small portion fish & chips (in a pub with an unhealthy menu)
Supper: Baked risotto (very small helping) with green salad. Mini hot cross bun. Satsuma
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 31st, 2018, 5:27 pm

4 human friends and 1 canine friend are due in half an hour or so for a bit of a curryfest.
Lamb saag
Salmon patia
Motter paneer
Home made chapatis
Rice

Let's hope there are leftovers so we don't have to cook tomorrow :oops:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 31st, 2018, 6:45 pm

Sounds delicious WW.

Last night's meal was lovely. Pomme purée was perfect for it.

This morning had a long run which left me so hungry. Went out and had a roti :chops:

Dinner was means to be Thai Drunken noodles from the spiraliser cookbook but none of the required sauces or basil in the shop so we are having steak with a spiraliser side of some sort (OH is determined to try it this weekend....)
Rocky
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 31st, 2018, 7:46 pm

Very piggy day today.......

Breakfast was porridge with berry compote then mid morning I had a chocolate hazelnut bar . Missed lunch and had crisps , nuts and a couple of truffles while watching a film with my mum , with prosecco. Dinner was a very nice pasta dish . Thickly sliced chestnut mushrooms in a creamy garlic sauce with chopped walnuts added in at the last minute and some shavings of Parmesan . Now in a carb coma watching some old game of thrones episodes
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 31st, 2018, 8:05 pm

I've not stopped thinking about food today! Determined to kick start weight loss on slimming world so have been obsessing over it today which is completely counterproductive because thinking of food all day is only going to make me hungry! Anyway...

Mushrooms on toast for breakfast.
Lunch of the remaining egg/pea/mint smash on wholemeal bread
I had a small amount of pasta and simple tomato sauce when Leo had he same for his tea (although he didn't eat his, opted for bread and yoghurt instead :rolleyes: ).
That was at 4:30 though so am hungry now and have just made what sounds very trashy and calories but is completely SW friendly... potato wedges topped with tomatoey sauce, red onion, ham, mushroom, cheese and herbs. Kind of pizza topped wedges. Boxing viewing food ;)

Also, forgot to say OMCO, thanks for the tips, will definitely try the face thing. He's known body/face parts for ages now, I should've been onto that!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 31st, 2018, 10:54 pm

WP_20180331_001.jpg

And here is the canine guest, warming his tail by the fire.
His name is Norman.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby smitch » April 1st, 2018, 8:32 am

Norman is lovely!

Work related stress and a sickly rat have affected my appetite this week so meals have been all over the place. However, I’m determined to enjoy the long weekend.

Friday, we went out with FIL on a beer trip to New Mills and Buxton. Before we went out, breakfast was veggie sausages in an oven bottom muffin. We shared some chips in Buxton to keep us going and tea was pizza from a local takeaway. Not great nutrition wise, but a nice day out and just what I needed.

Yesterday, I invited the in laws round for tea. We started with a selection of antipasti and main course was a veggie lasagna with salad and garlic bread. I wish I wrote down what I did as it was probably the best lasagna I’ve ever made :rolleyes: :lol: Dessert was a retro trifle, not bad one for ages and I really enjoyed it.

No idea about today other than croissants and coffee for breakfast. The visitors didn’t leave until midnight and we shared quite a few strong beers, am shattered this morning!
smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 1st, 2018, 8:45 am

What a lovely house guest!

Had a lovely and very lazy day at home yesterday. At various points in the day I had:
Quark with chopped up fruit
Much of the remaining risotto for more than one meal with extra rice mixed in to tone it down a bit and lots of veg.
Hot cross buns. A few choc buttons to finish them up.
It felt as though I was eating all day but maybe not - there were lots of cups of coffee.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 1st, 2018, 8:57 am

Yesterday we had scrambled eggs made with our neighbours' hens' eggs for lunch - a dollop of creme fraiche and beurre de baratte were involved. Had a bit of bread and aforementioned butter with this too. (OH also had yoghurt for breakfast.)

dinner was mushroom pizza with Emmental, olives and smoked paprika. I am afraid I burnt it a bit! Husband also had bread and cheese and celeriac remoulade. I realize I had two desserts :oops: Four petit four and some chocolate mousse with squirty cream. I also had quite a bit of caramel and peanut Milka yesterday (all gone now though.) At least I was quite active during the day.

I had fruit brioche with butter for breakfast this morning. It had candied orange peel and sultanas in it. Very nice (once I realized that the unpleasantly chewy bit was paper I was supposed to have peeled off the sides of the slices!) Leftovers would make a superb bread and butter pudding.
How do the French keep so thin, with so many nice things to eat, one has to ask for the umpteenth time.

I plan to make leek and mushroom galettes with creme fraiche later today. Could have green beans on the side. I realize we have not been eating enough fresh veg. If will offer and alternative of fried (neighbours') duck eggs, new potatoes and green beans (and butter.) but I suspect my husband will vote for the leek option.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 1st, 2018, 10:36 am

Isn't it called the French Paradox Herbi? Breakfast was banana and peanut butter on toast . Just been to the gym and on the way back popped into the shop and saw a box of miniature hazelnut kit Kats that fell into my basket. Talk about counter productive...,

May meet a friend later for a drink but otherwise a quiet day ahead. Really fancied some retro food today. Bought some nice pork sausages and going to make what we used to call cowboy pie. Browned sausages, baked beans , fried mushrooms and onions in a dish topped with thinly sliced potato and grated cheese , broccoli on the side . Dinner tonight I've got the end of a loaf to use up so thinking croutons with a salad of some kind, maybe with a poached egg
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 1st, 2018, 8:48 pm

What delicious things everyone's eating!

Just a quiet and easy day for me, back to work in the morning and hopefully back to a sensible diet.
Breakfast: Quark and chopped fruit
Lunch: Omelette stuffed with the last of the risotto, and green salad.
Supper: Fish cake, jacket potato. asparagus and green salad (using up things that need eating).
Other: 2 x mini hot cross buns and 3 egg shaped chocolates.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Luca » April 2nd, 2018, 2:54 pm

In yet another bid to eat more I'm determined to make more of an effort now.. and have taken the advice of a nutritionist which I shall aim to follow more regularly!

This weekend has been something of a hotch potch due to various things bit I've had some superb "small" dishes to include a meal out at the Parlour in Kensal Rise with my best friend where we had a small selection of starters. Steak tartare and chips. Perfect frites, fluffy inside, piping hot and thin and crispy. The tartare came with pickled cucumber slices which was a nice touch. It needed spicing up though. The profiteroles with duck parfait and a coulis of rhubarb was delicious. The mackerel pate less successful as it was more cream than fish. Delicious soda bread and excellent service.

Quail marinaded with garlic, coriander, lemon, chilli, fish sauce and soy sauce was finger licking good for part of a meal yesterday. Other nibbles to clear the fridge were cubes of cheese, sliced baby plum tomatoes and rocket salad. Yes, I know tomatoes are not in season but they provide me a good nibbling opportunity which is what is required.

Today I started with a late breakfast consisting of a couple of slices of grilled streaky bacon, a few mushrooms, grilled tomato and seeded wholemeal bread and coffe, juice. Lunch was salmon wrapped in nori sheets after being briefly marinaded in lemon, ginger and soy sauce. Served with lemon brown rice and garlic and soy stir fried broccoli. Clementine to follow.

Supper likely to be soft boiled eggs and soldiers, rocket salad, cheese and fresh fruit
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » April 2nd, 2018, 3:34 pm

[quote="Herbidacious"]Y
How do the French keep so thin, with so many nice things to eat, one has to ask for the umpteenth time.

Two main reasons Herbie.
First they never ever nibblee between meals - well not the ones I know anyway

Secondly they balance their meals because all the goodies , as you call them, are there all the time. Gateaux and similar desserts are for high days and holidays. Usually a meal ends with fruit or cheese, They also eat at regukar times and get very discombobulated if they can't. Actually they also seeem to eat more courses but smaller protions,

Anyway to catch up On saturday after a hot cross bun breakfast, I made a spring vegetable soup with the chicken stock from yesterday. There were 5 sort of vegetables in there,
Supper was Lyonnaise quenelles with a nantua sauce and fresh strawberries afterwards
Yesterday Mr R had a un and we went out for lunch, which I have reported elsewhere. It was seasonal and delicious. We had a fish main course.
Mr R had a little more of the soup in the evening but I didn't have room.
Today , the last of the buns.
Lunch was for friends
Asparagus veloute
Veal navarin with loads of spring veg and our neighbours saffron to flavour
Cheese -
Eton Mess,

Not sure oif there is any room for supper - we shall see.

I
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » April 2nd, 2018, 3:38 pm

Breakfast was a facon sandwich in an oven bottom muffin and a pot of tea. We had a late lunch of a tartlet thing using odds and ends from the fridge. I chopped some of the veg antipasti left over from Saturday evening, some courgette and a couple of spring onions. It was added to a rectangle of puff pastry with some chopped marinated mozzarella pearls and a bit of grated cheddar. Really tasty, will do something similar again.

No idea about tea tonight, doubt we’ll be very hungry. I was going to make kimchi fried rice but that will happen later in the week now. Possibly Wednesday as we’re going to see Jarvis Cocker tomorrow after work :luv:
smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 2nd, 2018, 6:53 pm

You've all had lovely things again! What are oven bottom muffins?

Been at work all day.
Lunch: Mugshot and an apple
Supper: a ham and egg sub roll.
Other: The egg shaped chocolate I intend to eat whist watching 'Only Connect'.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » April 2nd, 2018, 8:56 pm

Oven bottom muffins seem to be a ‘thing’ around here, I’d never had them until I met my OH. Sheldon’s are widely available http://www.ghsheldon.co.uk/lancashire-oven-bottom-muffin/. They’re a bit different to the ones you can buy in markets and bakers locally http://www.ovenbottommuffins.co.uk/photos.html

The corner shop near my house sells the ones like the second link with a hole in the middle and no ingredients.
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 2nd, 2018, 9:29 pm

Luca, your food sounds amazing..... Eat lots of it !!!!

Sourdough toast and french salt crystal butter for brekkie..... S&V crisp sticks (rubbish I know) for a snack before an early supper of savoury turkey mince with a lot of veg and Ebley and some other veg ??? Early night as I am shattered....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Bubbles » April 2nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

You've all had lovely things again! What are oven bottom muffins?
You can buy them in Sainsburys - the Sheldons ones in Smitch's link. However, I would advise you not to as they are really tasty. You may become addicted! :)
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 2nd, 2018, 11:57 pm

Some lovely sounding food. Oh I love long weekends! On Saturday we had the steak with a sort of spiralised pasta carbonara minus egg. Delicious and OH is hooked . On Sunday I made a pork, chorizo and chick pea stew and OH insisted on spiralising some broccoli stems to have with it :chops:

Today I had jerk chicken for lunch and about to have chilli hat OH has made. We have run out of veg to spiralise :? So he is having rice and I am having some roasted veg....
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » April 3rd, 2018, 12:28 am

Yesterday, I started well. I had breakfast out but it was on plan... weetabix and milk; veggie sausage, mushrooms, beans and bubble n squeak.
Almost saintly small amount of Easter egg.
Tea was planned to be from the healthy place but I called to order and they'd just shut... losing track of days! So we had nothing out and OH was jabbering about how he had to go to work so convinced me to get pizza! Nightmare.

Today, I had an apple and then a ham, mushroom, tomato and cheese omelette.
A bit of chicken and veg noodle stir fry at mum's.
Korean pork with rice and stir fried veg for tea.
I have such a bad cough, it's driving me mad!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2018, 8:08 am

Oh flip ... I've lost track ...

Friday I had a lovely rib eye steak and sauce (described on Hicky's 'Naked' thread) ... OH had a chicken breast (skin on, on the bone) with buttered baked sweet potatoes and Lamb's lettuce.

Saturday for supper we had 'breakfast' of dry-cured smoked local bacon, white pudding, local butcher's sausages, big mushrooms and sliced cooked baby potatoes - all cooked on a baking tray in the top of the oven ... when the potatoes and bacon began to crisp I made a couple of spaces and broke a couple of very fresh FR eggs into them and popped the tray back into the oven for about three minutes ... wonderful :chops: OH had some Branston baked beans with his.

Sunday MIL came to visit and we had slow roasted rolled shoulder of lamb with pommes dauphinoise, buttered carrots and purple sprouting broccoli, gravy and home made apple and mint jelly, followed by rhubarb crumble and custard.

Yesterday's supper OH cooked chilli and soy marinated salmon steaks with noodles and spinach.

Breakfasts were the usual porridge/muesli/yoghurt combo or dippy eggs and toastie soldiers ... lunches were either poached eggs on toast, omelette or homemade lentil soup ... not sure which happened when.

Home made Hot Cross buns made lots of appearances at irregular intervals :oops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm

I do like the look of oven bottom muffins! I don't recall seeing them around - which is just as well! I'd better not look.

Today:
Breakfast: Quark & chopped fruit
Lunch: salad with ham
Snack: banana
Supper: Baxters hearty soup with cheese. Egg shaped chocolate (the last one from a lovely small gift box I received at Easter - I shall miss them :chops: )
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 4th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Oh look, me again :oops: .
Lunch: salad with cold meat which calls itself chicken
Snack: banana
Supper: fish fingers, jacket potato, salad
Late snack: mugshot

I resisted the temptation to eat the small chocolate bunny I bought for the little girl down the road just before Easter. I think they must be away as no-one has been there when I've knocked over the past few days. It is sitting on my coffee table willing me to eat it ... but I'm not going to. The child will have it - eventually.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 5th, 2018, 1:06 am

Lovely to see you again EM ;)

Last night was veggie curry. Lunch today was chicken roti :chops: .

A friend had her parents over so drinks after work. Then noodles on the way home. Thank goodness my breakfast usually entails at least 3 veg!
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2018, 8:53 am

On Tuesday we had a cheese pudding with baked tomatoes for lunch and finished the navarin with a few extra spuds and asparagus spears added.Strawberries afterwards.
Yesterday we had our usualy croissants and coffee after shopping and lunch was accras - salt cod fritters with a chilli mayo dip.
Supper was a fresh quiche with steamed spinach and fresh beetroot salad - hot with butter and chives.
Pudding was riz au lait with a little fig compote.
Tonight chilli with guacamole and tortillas and I'll turn the rest of the rice into parfaits
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop