What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby andipandi » March 31st, 2017, 2:29 pm

We are having fish and chips from the local chippy. Well I say we, he will probably have a pie.
andipandi
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 31st, 2017, 3:11 pm

Ooooh now I fancy fish and chips.

This morning we had poached eggs and sautéed mushrooms on sourdough toast.

Lunch was a cheddar, sliced tomato and cheese and onion crisp sandwich. I can't stand soggy tomatoes in a sandwich but when it's made and eaten immediately I love it. Especially when the tomato has been warmed on the window sill for a while first.

I'm not sure about dinner. We were going to go the fishmongers and get a shellfish platter but we've left it a bit late now. OH is making suggestions of going to the local Italian. In which case I'm going to see if I can squuueeeeeze in their T-bone steak. I'll have a good go anyway and OH will no doubt steal some/finish what I can't eat.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 31st, 2017, 3:43 pm

Afternoon everyone
Breakfast was a banana, lunch Ayrshire ham, coleslaw and seedy crusty bread and dinner tonight will be M&S Southern Fried Chicken, mini corn cob, more coleslaw and a baked spud or sweet potato.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 31st, 2017, 7:12 pm

My indigestion turned out to be a bit more of a tummy upset than first expected, so nothing interesting recently
Today tuna salad jacket spud, teryaki salmon, Cyprus spuds, tenderstem broccoli, bit of Cambazola for some reason :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » March 31st, 2017, 7:33 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
Kacey wrote:Count me in to a Manchester meet as long as its a Saturday or Sunday - haven't been to Manchester for ages as we'd been getting our house ready to go on the market - sold it in 4 days!

Great news re your move! We ended up selling our last one in the first couple of hours that it went on the market. It really gave us a kick up the arse to go out and view houses ourselves. We weren't expecting it to move quite that fast!

Was very scary as the area in Derby we'd been keeping an eye on had no suitable houses for sale! We had to spend a weekend looking at other areas only to have a house in our preferred place come on to the market - ended up with 3 of us offering the asking price then having to do proof of finance etc whilst they decided which offer to accept - luckily it was ours. Can't tell you how happy we felt.

As we're having a Friday night in, I always get some curry from the freezer - tonights was Mattar Paneer, Cabbage, Cauliflower and a dal, all in the oven whilst I have a nice glass of red, then a good few beers after!

Happy Friday everyone!
Kacey
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 1st, 2017, 11:38 am

Congratulations Kacey. Hope you are feeling better Sue.

After last weekend this week has been nice and quiet with food being heavy on fish and veg!

On Tuesday I made a bean chili with loads of veg in it too. OH had his with rice, and I had roasted sprouts :oops:

On Wednesday I made a chicken with sugar snaps and asparagus in a lemon thyme sauce which we had with extra brocolli and OH had rice. I had made extra rice so Thursday I made fried rice and a Cambodian ginger fish dish with bok choi. I was delighted as despite not having Palm sugar it tasted reasonably authentic.

Felt fairly glam yesterday afternoon as went out boating mid afternoon for some sundowners as it is the annual regatta so we wanted to watch some of it. A stunning day with the sea fully of sailing boats. Returned to the dock at 6 having had several glasses of prosecco and decided I didn't fancy cooking so we got a Chinese takeaway. It wasn't very nice :( I was meant to have got up at 5:30 for a v long run but decided prosecco and dodgy takeaway weren't the best fuel so that will be tomorrow....

That leave the steaks for tonight though. We have one ribeye and one New York strip and some lovely rocket for a salad. Maybe some wedges.
Rocky
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 1st, 2017, 8:18 pm

Brunch crusty bread with cheese and coleslaw with some pickled cucumbers on the side. Dinner is rump steak with steamed charlotte potatoes and foil steamed mushroom, onions and courgette chunks with butter and herbs. I slow cooked a minted lamb shank for tomorrow, I prefer to do this the day before so I can take the fat of the stock as I don't like fatty gravy ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 2nd, 2017, 8:49 am

I'm about to have scrambled eggs on toasted muffins. I will probably skip lunch as we are having dinner around 4pm. Nigella's lemon and garlic chicken with new pots oven cooked in foil and veggies. I've a shop bought American cheesecake for pud.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 2nd, 2017, 9:47 am

Yesterday we had eggs Benedict for lunch

Last night I cooked the rouget ( red snapper) fillets I bought earlier. I cooked then on the griddle, skin side only and served them on a tian of potatoes, courgettes and tomatoes cooked with olive oil and garlic and some fresh thyme. I served it with a bowl of aioli'

I used the rest of the rice to make a parfait with the rest of the apricot compote.

Out for lunch today but I have made Bahamian peas n' rice to celebrate Carlin Sunday for tonight. and some left over to have with jerk chicken tomorrow.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 2nd, 2017, 8:27 pm

StokeySue - have just been reading Sakkarin's board. Have forgotten my login but read your comment on the Elizabeth David Folio books. My mum bought me two of them 'a book of Mediterranean food' and 'Italian food'. I feel so lucky as they are so beautiful but I've never used them. Must remedy that.

Last night's steaks were :chops: with onion rings, rockets salad and roasted Brussels :hungry:

21 mile hilly run this morning (and knee has lived to tell the tale) which but paid to breakfast so I had a huge lunch of sausages and nice salady bits. Probably prawn curry for dinner. Am ravenous already so might make up a bit of hummus to have to keep me going.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 2nd, 2017, 9:11 pm

Yes, the Folio version's of ED are lovely
Been at my friend's, prawns followed by lovely calves liver and veg, watercress soup and roast pork today
no idea what I'll have for the rest of the week!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 3rd, 2017, 12:59 am

I spent an hour looking at the ED books. They would be terrifying if you weren't an extremely competent cook but OH and I are both enthused to have a go at a few recipes.

We decided to go out our dinner. I had a bison burger which was exactly the right thing. OH had plantain gnocchi with prawns.
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 3rd, 2017, 12:42 pm

Celery soup for lunch with olive fougasse.

Looking forward to peas n' rice with plantain chips and jerk chicken tonight. I'm thinking pain perdu with fresh strawberries afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 3rd, 2017, 2:18 pm

Rocky wrote:I spent an hour looking at the ED books. They would be terrifying if you weren't an extremely competent cook but OH and I are both enthused to have a go at a few recipes.

Some of her instructions are a bit vague; for example she consistently tells you to cut meat and fish into "squares", little clue given as to dimensions and none as to thickness. Sometimes she is simply wrong as when she suggests cooking moussaka in a loose bottomed cake tin (don't), and although she has a reputation for rigorous authenticity she wasn't actually very keen on herbs and I think tweaks them to her own taste. Having said all of which what I find invaluable about her books is the context, you know where the recipes came from and why she included them, which I've always found both interesting and helpful. I started collecting her books when I was 18 or 19 and have been using them ever since

So far today I've had a banana, better have some lunch I suppose!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 3rd, 2017, 5:43 pm

I had the usual toast for breakfast , cauliflower cheese soup for lunch. Just had pasta with tomatoes and basil.
andipandi
Registered

Postby EmWilk » April 3rd, 2017, 10:08 pm

Everyone sounds like they're having nice food!

I'm trying to think back...
On Friday night, I went for an Indian meal with 2 lads who I used to work really closely with (I've moved to a different business in the same group after maternity). They are Asian but are rubbish at knowing what anything is on the menu and just want to get to dessert! So I picked kachori chaat starter and they picked a lamb starter dish, then I picked a lamb curry and a chicken one, rice, breads, etc. and we shared the lot. They had rassmalai for dessert but I just had mint tea. I love the restaurant but don't get there often.

Over the weekend, nothing exciting on Saturday but we had a night out and I chose a lie in over breakfast on Sunday!
Then went for belated mothers day lunch to a standard Italian type place... caprese salad, pizza and tiramisu - you can picture the type of place right?! Still, it was nice enough and the company was lovely.

Today, mini pastries for breakfast.
Chicken, stuffing and apple sauce sandwich and crisps for lunch.
Tea was, as detailed on the new recipe thread, Asian marinated steak with a butternut squash, peanut and coconut gratin.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 4th, 2017, 9:41 am

slept late and only had time for a glass of milk. Am now in the office and starving! Will pop to the co-op and get some sandwiches in a bit. Dinner is left over pasta. What a disorganised day.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 4th, 2017, 12:08 pm

We had asparagus omelette for lunch and finished last night's strawberries,

Neck of lamb casserole for supper with mash but loads of carrots and celery in the casserole. I;ve some lovely Cheource cheese to use up. I'll do that with pleasure,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 4th, 2017, 12:21 pm

I totally missed brekkie and have just had two (very bog standard) sausage rolls with some nicely smelly camembert, will have a small piece of coffee and walnut cake and some naughty cream.... supper will probably be chicken and veg pie.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby EmWilk » April 4th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Andipandi, most of my days are disorganised :lol:

Today, I had a nutrigrain and a banana and a graze pit banana bread throughout the morning.
Rushed home to work from there this afternoon and managed to stop off and get a veggie subway en route.
I think salmon fillet painted with something (gochujang or chipotle paste I imagine) on a brioche bun with quick pickled veg for tea.
Or I've made a beef and veg casserole for Leo in the slow cooker so I might pinch a bit and season it up before the rest gets blitzed for him. Salmon sounds better though.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 4th, 2017, 1:42 pm

I had a banana on toast for breakfast, a roll (weird, sweet dark brown thing, I expected it to be rye, but it was wholemeal with molasses :? ), filled with smoked ham and piccalilli and an activia, supper will be sausage and Puy lentil casserole, I'll cook some butternut squash too
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 4th, 2017, 2:16 pm

My meals have been so rubbish lately, I've not bothered to post. I've been eating mainly cheese, crisps, ready meals, salad and fruit.
I really can't be bothered to cook for myself.
Anyway, saying that, daughter came for dinner on Sunday, I made a gorgeous fish pie with cod, smoked salmon, king prawns and capers, then topped with ordinary and sweet potato, tomato slices, anchovies and covered in cheese, served with asparagus and purple sprouting broc.
It was truly delicious.
Back to boring dinners but I am making a batch of salt chicken shreds for the freezer, and I'm v excited as I just ordered a new car today, a Mini, her name is Esmerelda and she'll be coming straight from the factory in around 8 weeks, she's blue with silver stripes and a silver roof :D :bounce:
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby smitch » April 4th, 2017, 2:40 pm

I had lovely mezze from the Otto-Men at the food market at work today. Had a slightly different selection to last week, still really tasty though. Tea will be bought pasta with tomato sauce, something quick before going out to book group. I haven't actually read much of the book this month though :oops:
smitch
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 4th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Yesterday ended up with not very much during the day and pie,beans and wedges last night.

Breakfast was toast and cottage cheese, lunch was egg, beans and toast and tonight will be jerk spiced chicken , roasted veg and a baked sweet potato.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » April 4th, 2017, 3:47 pm

I just ate the most delicious samosa courtesy of my local Indian store. It had peas bursting out all over the place. Thankfully not all over my face! Yum! Tea not sure yet.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 5th, 2017, 11:20 am

I can't recall half the food I've eaten since I last posted! But highlights were a fantastic meal at a local restaurant with friends. It's based on small plates but not limited to a specific cuisine. They have approx. 15 small plates available which change daily and we ordered everything between us. A squid salad and some chewy, crispy gnocchi were my favourites.

On Sunday we had a lovely dish of asparagus, langoustine, butter and wild garlic from the garden.

Strange eating today as I'm having a small keyhole operation tomorrow and so fasting rules apply. I had a bagel earlier and I might have a small bowl of pasta later before I have to be nil by mouth.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2017, 12:39 pm

We had a coffee an croissant after shopping.

Lunch was a cheese ham and tomato toastie and supper is to be calves liver and bacon with cauliflower and some sort of spuds. Banana and rum custards afterwards - got to use all these eggs!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 5th, 2017, 3:00 pm

We're having that Scottish delicacy, a munchie box, for dinner :D
Daughter is staying over.
I'm cooking for her on Sunday so just doing the online shop now, it's going to be Thai red duck curry with salt chicken shred rice and salad, the leftover duck will be made into a canneloni later in the week.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 5th, 2017, 3:03 pm

I had salad for lunch. Not inspired for dinner. I think I will do something 'naff'. :)
andipandi
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 5th, 2017, 5:36 pm

It's corned beef hash with spring cabbage (and ahem brown sauce).
andipandi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 5th, 2017, 5:49 pm

:chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:

That sounds perfect andipandi! Oddly enough, I made a (sort of) corned beef hash earlier (more of a corned beef stew in my case) and froze it for future reference. I like corned beef.

We have a chicken & mixed veg stir-fry for tea tonight.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 5th, 2017, 5:53 pm

We're having that Scottish delicacy, a munchie box, for dinner

Enjoy and look the Rennies out for later :lol:

Brunch was a piece of baguette with Ayrshire Ham & coleslaw, dinner good old spag bol
liketocook
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 6th, 2017, 8:10 am

Yesterday I had oatcakes and honey for breakfast, oxtail soup for lunch (specially prepared by that nice Mr Heinz..!) and for dinner a really nice lamb mince dish. I used leek, carrot, tomatoes and chick peas in it and thickened with tomato puree. The star was a good heaped teaspoon of ground cumin - super bend of flavours and textures. We had it with some fusilli pasta and sprinkled with a little chopped coriander.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 6th, 2017, 9:03 am

Bit more organised today. I had fresh fruit and greek yoghurt for breakfast - I think the fact that its a sunny day helps make me want to eat sunny food.

I have brought a salad in for lunch. Sort of healthy but with some grated cheese and coleslaw. Dinner will be mushroom risotto with a green salad.
andipandi
Registered

Postby uschi » April 6th, 2017, 12:07 pm

I managed to get hold of bargain pork mince yesterday and had some bargain beef mince sitting in the freezer, waiting to be turned into Frikadellen (a cross between a hamburger patty and a meatball). There were also some eggs that needed using up and dried bread ...

ImageLöwenköttel - Frikadellen by natterjack3, auf Flickr

I made three or four pans like this and will freeze most of them.
uschi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 6th, 2017, 12:36 pm

uschi, my Danish friend makes something very similar and have the same name. They are very tasty.

For lunch I cheated a bit and we had a Picard (frozen) fine tomato tart with a green salad and a custrad from last night. We ate in the garden but nearly had to come inside because the perfume of the wisteria and the rosa were almost over-powering.

Chilli tonight with guacamole and soft tortillas followed by the last apple compote of the season with lots of sultanas and a cinnamon stick cooked with it and a dash of calvados to finish it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby uschi » April 6th, 2017, 1:06 pm

I wish I had a wisteria. I do have roses, but they are yet to flower. :D

The tart sounds lovely. I made a traybake along those lines last week and there is some in the freezer still.
uschi
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 6th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Evening everyone,
Lovely looking meatballs Uschi
Breakfast was toast & banana, lunch a ham and coleslaw sandwich with an incredibly juicy pear afterwards and dinner is going to be chicken, leeks and mushrooms in a peppercorn sauce with boiled brown rice and aparagus (for me) and peas for my son.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 6th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Uschi- :chops: :chops: :chops: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

We're eating out as it's our anniversary- hurrah!! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 6th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Have a great time!
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 6th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Thank you! :wave:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 6th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Have a great time Seatallen

Today breakfast was banana and yoghurt. Lunch a frittata of roast butternut and spinach with a little garlic and nutmeg, the BNS was roasted with fennel seeds

For dinner I have a nice bit of haddock loin, which I will grill and have with mash and veg
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 6th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Congratulations Seatallan. Have a lovely evening.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 6th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Happy anniversary Sea.

On Monday we were going to have a chickpea and veggie curry but before starting on that I got a spicy sausage pasta sauce started for Tuesday - which OH decided he wanted there and then. Tuesday was the curry (the remains of which mixed with a bit of mayo made a lovely salad dressing :oops: Last night was the Sicilian sausage, pepper and potato stew I have mentioned on here before. I just had a bit of that and loads of veg. OH was due to be out and now isn't tonight and I hadn't planned anything so I think we will nip out and I will have a West Indian chicken curry. He goes off to San Juan with work for the weekend tomorrow :( . I have a mammoth run planned for Saturday (24 hilly miles in preparation for the local 'ultra' in 2 weeks time - very scared!) so something very carb heavy tomorrow night - probably noodles or the veggie potato pie I love.
Rocky
Registered

Postby andipandi » April 7th, 2017, 7:51 am

Its Fat Friday - :D . I have had toast for breakfast. I am going for lunch with colleagues to a moroccan cafe. We usually have bits and pieces like baba ganoush, hummous and flat bread. (I once asked for Babu Ganesh - ie an Indian film director :oops: )

We are having no-cook Friday which means a take away. I am thinking pizza though as I may not want anything spicy again after lunch plus my nieces are coming over and pizza is always the preferred option.
andipandi
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 7th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Breakfast was toast and the spoonful of chicken, mushroom and leek mix leftover from last night :oops: , lunch was crackers, mature gouda and coleslaw. Tonight my son is cooking salt, pepper and chilli chicken wings followed by beef chow mein both are recipes from the "Takeaway Secret" book I got him for Christmas which he is putting to good use and saving himself lots of money :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Kacey » April 7th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Tonight we had a pasta dish with steamed broccoli - i made a sauce with olive oil, garlic, chilli, a pinch of turmeric and curry powder, lemon juice and tahini! Sounds wierd I know but heated gently and stirred through the pasta and broccoli (steamed in bite sized pieces) it really hit the spot.
The recipe was from here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Pas ... 0722527977 - a recommendation of Stokey Sue's. Thanks Sue, really love this book.

Now we're sitting down with a few beers, starting with a favourite of ours, Oakham Citra. Happy Friday everyone
Kacey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 7th, 2017, 9:28 pm

:tu: good innit :oops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby EmWilk » April 7th, 2017, 10:06 pm

I was sure I'd updated more regularly this week but time flies eh?

Wednesday, I worked from home in the afternoon again so OH requested I bring KFC back en route :oops:
Just toast for tea after that whilst myself, sister and dad's OH finished off making dad & his OH's wedding invitations - lovely they are too!

Thursday/Friday have been quite ridiculous in that I have been to Costa 3 times over the 2 days :oops:
I had a panini from there for lunch yesterday after some tropical granola for breakfast.
Mum, sister and I were supposed to go to the old fashioned cinema to watch Beauty and the Beast in the evening but there was a full house (no bookings taken) so we went to a slightly later showing at Odeon instead where they have a costa in the foyer. I'd rushed so much that I'd had no tea so I got a brownie and an earl grey.

This morning I had a production meeting and our manufacturer suggested we meet at Costa :rolleyes: where I had a fruit teacake (or currant bun round these parts) and a latte.
Went out for lunch too to Northcote (Nigel Haworth) Cafe and had a fancy-ish chicken burger.
Mushroom noodles picked up en route home for a very rushed tea.

Andipandi you have just reminded me that whilst driving the other day near work, I spotted (in amongst all the takeaways!) a tiny little shop with a sign in the window saying "Arabic food. Falafel. Baba Ganoush." - Maybe, just maybe, there is a ray of hope in the otherwise dismal food options of Blackburn! (Although the Northcote Cafe was very nice today and we parked next to the fantastic market which I'd forgotten about so I ought not to complain and just drive into town occasionally instead of avoiding the parking meters and irritating hunt for a parking space :lol: I digress.)
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 8th, 2017, 9:24 am

Yesterday we had a big mixed salady bowl with avocado, cottage cheese prawns, cucumber and tomato with lots of fresh herbs and an olive oil and lime juice dressing.
Slice of banana bread afterwards,

Last night it was proper fish and chips with steamed spinach and the rest of the apple compote.

Today it is to be baked eggs Florentine to use up the spinach (not to mention the eggs) and a piece of banana bread.
Supper I am really looking forward to. The butcher had a beautiful roast ham on the bone so we got two lovely thick slices With it we'll have fresh broad beans and gorgeous looking new spuds, so fresh the skin comes off with gentle rubbing.
Afterwards there are Garigette strawberries which are perfuming the whole room right now.
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop