What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby icelesley » August 8th, 2017, 9:01 am

Breakfast: Bite size shredded wheat and a splash of milk
Lunch in the office between meetings Turkey sandwich thin and a small bag of crisps (no need to ask what breakfast will be tomorrow) :rolleyes:
Dinner: Slimming world recipe for all day breakfast followed by homemade damson crumble and ice cream (I found a bag of damsons in the freezer from 2015 :shock: They seem OK so a crumble top and we are good to go) :chops:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 9th, 2017, 8:44 am

We used Hello Fresh for a few months when Lilia was born. The dishes were all nice (and we recreate a couple of them still) but we wanted more flexibility and so stopped it after a while. We still use Abel and Cole each week though for their veg box as well as yoghurts and bread.

Last night I made burgers topped with two types of cheese, red onion rings, gem lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Salad on the side.

My lovely nail girl is coming round tonight so OH will get dinner on whilst I have them done...duck with rioja and cherries, with dauphinoise potatoes and tenderstem broccoli. Will have to sample a small glass of red on the side too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2017, 10:45 am

I had my toes tarted up on Thursday
Weather has been too bad to display them pretty much since :(
Yesterday crumpets for breakfast, small sweet potato cake thing made from leftover gratin and topped with a fried egg and sri racha, veggie lasagne (hm from freezer) for supper

So far today, crumpets again (1 Marmite, 1 marmalade)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 9th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments the as predicted bacon and beans on toast to follow.

Lunch: Turkey sandwich thin and a small bag of crisps and I mean small, have you seen how few you get in multipack bags these days :o

Dinner: I have taken out of the freezer some savoury mince so it could be chilli or spag bol followed by some more of the homemade damson crumble and ice cream
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 9th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Yesterday. I think a yoghurt for breakfast. Lunch was cescia di Gubbio - a stracchino and rocket one. Essentially a toasted flatbread sandwich.
Supermarket dinner at home as husband not feeling well. Porchini ravioli with olive oil and excessive amounts of grated Parmesan :)
A bought panacotta - a bit weird but nice
A couple of white chocolate hazelnut biscuity things. Think a flat, white Fererro Roche (sp?) with a bit less nut.
Sheesh. One day I will post a post without undoing the Apple predictive/corrective text! Porch ink revelling...! (Etc.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby andipandi » August 9th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I had a blueberry muffin with a mug of tea for breakfast. Lunch in the canteen was cauliflower cheese and chips. (Yes I know but it tasted goooood.)

Dinner will be more restrained. I'm doing me a tea for the kids so am doing a bit of an Enid blyton style buffet. Hard boiled eggs, salad, cheese, ham , tomatoes, fresh bread, relishes, sausage rolls etc. Alas no jugs of cream, scones or lashings of ginger beer, but I may stretch to a magnum.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Luca » August 9th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Sounds wonderful andipandi!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2017, 5:13 pm

andipandi wrote:I'm doing me a tea for the kids so am doing a bit of an Enid blyton style buffet. Hard boiled eggs, salad, cheese, ham , tomatoes, fresh bread, relishes, sausage rolls etc.

That's what my Nephews call a Picky Tea an they love it
Catherine
Registered

Postby andipandi » August 10th, 2017, 6:11 am

That's what my mum called it! Ahh memories. It went down very well.

Toast and banana this morning . Ive made doorstep sandwiches with the bread, cheese, ham and chutney for lunch. Going out after work so dinner will be whatever I pick up on way home.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 10th, 2017, 6:30 am

Yesterday I had some crostata Spolentina di albicocca - apricot tart with a cakey base, essentially.
Lunch was mozzarella with grilled vegetables. Vegetables not cooked enough alas.
Dinner melanzane alla parmigiana
Then strangozzi with courgette flowers, courgettes and truffle.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 10th, 2017, 7:18 am

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments then bitesize shredded wheat an milk

Lunch: Ham salad sandwich thin

Dinner: not sure yet I have left chicken thighs defrosting, ......... I am thinking, don't know what I fancy yet :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2017, 9:20 am

After the celebrations on onday and Tuesday we came back down to earth yessterday,
Lunch was Acras - the salt cod fritters with the rest of the aioli sauce to dip. Cheese - very popular with the family then a fresh fruit platter'

Last night we had a huge salad Nicoise, more cheese and berry topped meringues.

Today the gcs have had pancakes and waffles for breakfast - their tastes don't seem to change as they get older. Their mother and grandfather had HM yogurt and berries. I had a slice of watermelon.

They are out for lunch so Mr Rats and I are having a pain bagnat and more fruit.

Supper is due to be a bbq with three sorts of sausage including merguez and a cous cous taboleh type salad and I'm just off downstairs to make an apricot and nougat clafoutis though I expect the cheese store will be raided as well.

A fish pie has been ordered for tomorrow.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 10th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Sounds like you have been eating well even after your elebrations, Rats!

Today: yoghurt
Custardy croissant
Caprese salad (inexplicably unripe tomatoes) in Montefalco
Pisa(n) Pine nut ice cream in Todi

Eating in tonight as it's been a long and very very hot day. Not sure what, if anything, to have. It will involve cheese, tomatoes and possibly pasta if it happens. OH has some smoked salmon.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Luca » August 10th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Skipped breakfast today apart from coffee and apple juice. I went out to lunch with a friend at a great wine bar in Kensington and had a starter of air dried carpaccio which tasted just like viande des Grisons with rocket, Parmesan and truffle dressing. I followed that with onglet steak, frites and bearnaise sauce with a watercress salad. All delicious.

Not sure about supper but I have avocado, rocket, tomatoes and mozzarella so probably just a mixed salad. Banana and kiwi may follow.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby smitch » August 10th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Had a lovely pastry from Pollen this morning. The guy who works there recognises me now :oops:

Dinner was leftover salads from yesterday's trip to the falafel shop. Tea was from Bundobust, fab as always but my gallbladder isn't happy :(
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Yesterday a bit carb laden
Crumpets for breakfast
Large salmon & spinach fishcake with salad for lunch
Burger and chips for supper

Today slept through breakfast
Lunch was an instant sausage casserolemade with mini bratwurst and some leftover veg ragout on a jacket spud
Some fruit
Korean pork bulgogi rice bowl for supper (home made)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 10th, 2017, 9:21 pm

StokeySue wrote:Yesterday a bit carb laden Crumpets for breakfastLarge salmon & spinach fishcake with salad for lunchBurger and chips for supper

I wouldn't say that was particularly carb laden. Go easier on yourself

Luca wrote: I went out to lunch with a friend at a great wine bar in Kensington and had a starter of air dried carpaccio which tasted just like viande des Grisons with rocket, Parmesan and truffle dressing. I followed that with onglet steak, frites and bearnaise sauce with a watercress salad. All delicious.

That's my girl. You've got this xx
Catherine
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 11th, 2017, 12:01 am

Lovely food all.

Back to reality with a bit of a jolt. Were delayed in St Martin 24 hours as there was a storm over BVI so spent of a miserable evening / early morning trying to sort out flights - and it was our anniversary! Eventually got home 55 hours after setting off to no power and no water and there had been so much flood damage we were cut off from town. Found a bottle of red wine so that was dinner. Yesterday had rescued food from the freezer - sausage sandwiches for lunch and random freezer surprise for dinner. No idea what we had! Roads opened today and the place is devasted - the power of water is extraordinary. Have found an open restaurant this evening and I have ordered ribs :chops:
Rocky
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 11th, 2017, 7:06 am

Breakfast: fresh orange segments then bite size shredded wheat and milk

Lunch: ham and cheese toasty

Dinner: I think will be fish pie, I can't remember who mentioned it yesterday but it's been on my mind since. It will be a bought in one, Morrisons best range of chilled fish pie is rather tasty and full of fish chunks and prawns :hungry: :chops:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 11th, 2017, 9:42 am

It was me Icy but minds were changed when we started talking about favourite meals last night and now it is to be moules frites. :lol: :lol: There is a bit of clafoutis left but GS has picked a basket of figs and wants to learn how to make a tarte tatin with them.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby andipandi » August 11th, 2017, 11:50 am

I think I have put a lot of weight on. But it's my own fault, I have let the exercise slip recently and I eat a lot of naughty food. I had my usual toast and banana for breakfast but am having a salad for lunch - tuna, rocket, avocado, cherry tomatoes, bit of hummus. Its not bad. But it Friday and we fancy fish and chips so ....
andipandi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 11th, 2017, 6:54 pm

The Full Monty for brekkie preceded by nuts raisins dried fruits and a dollop of yoghurt.

Very late lunch of half a bacon sarnie (snaffled from brekkie) and a couple of bourbons sat is a traffic jam on the A30 :rolleyes:

Supper is a fresh megrim, samphire, a mix of fennel and some peas and some chips.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Breakfast, last of the pack of crumpets
Lunch a falafel wrap and a watermelon + ginger + lemon juice in the market
Supper tuna kebabs, new pots, salad. Gin.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 13th, 2017, 6:20 am

Gin ??? Was that your sweet ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Toast for brekkie

John Dory with a lemon and caper sauce, half a baked tato and the rest of the Peas and fennel.

Supper will be the fish from the claws of the lobster, probably in the style of bruschetta methinks ??
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 13th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Fave gastro pub back on form. I had white gazpacho with medjool dates and oregano. It was utterly delicous.
Dessert was cherry cheese cake.

Husband had 'Heritage tomato, hazelnut & wasabi mascarpone tarte fine with sherry pickled onions, chives and tarragon'

Sounded like an unlikely combination but he said it was nice.

I crassly (but covertly) took photos.

Not had anything else to eat. Probably ought to as all I ate yesterday were about six biscuits of various sorts, but all involving chocolate :o
35738958663_ea235593bd_z.jpg

36410318371_6b8151113c_z.jpg

35738960353_72f6bf62e5.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » August 13th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Toast for breakfast. Sandwich with sourdough bread and tofu salad for dinner.

Tea was Jamie Oliver's rotolo pasta with squash and spinach with a rocket salad. I add more seasonings and spice than the recipe as I find it quite bland as written.

No idea what we'll have tomorrow. We've got plenty in but I'm lacking inspiration a bit.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 13th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Yesterday dinner I felt the pull of the Austrio-Hungarian empire, so the starter was miniature Russian eggs, made with quails eggs, then Wiener schnitzel
Pain au raisin for breakfast
Lunch was figs and prosciutto crudo to start, a shoulder of lamb cooked to a recipe from Persiana, with a Persian tomato salad and green beans cooked with tomatoes and some potatoes which were mostly ignored.
Just nibbled fruit since and a little piece of cheese
Will be living on leftovers :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 14th, 2017, 8:06 am

In the end I had Caserecce with smoked olive oil, a little butter, garlic, lots of black pepper, green and purple French beans from the garden, and Parmesan.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 14th, 2017, 8:07 am

What are Russian eggs, Sue?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 14th, 2017, 8:59 am

Herbidacious wrote:What are Russian eggs, Sue?

Base of Russian salad (mixed cooked diced veg in a mayo dressing) topped with hard boiled eggs and more mayo, decorated with paprika and "caviar"
Often served for lunch with a bread roll in Austria but I made a miniature version as a starter. Leftovers for today's lunch!

Breakfast has been granola with a fig and yogurt, supper will be leftover schnitzel and veg, and probably a bit of cheese as its a small schnitzel
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 14th, 2017, 11:36 am

I am really hungry today for some reason :rolleyes:

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments the shredded wheat and milk
Mid morning pork pie :oops:
Lunch egg mayo sandwich thin
Dinner: cold pork apple sauce and salad with new potatoes from the garden followed by strawberries and creme fraiche
icelesley
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 14th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Not updated for a week... :?

The hello fresh meals last week were nice... lamb ragu pappardelle which we only got round to last night. It fed me, Leo, OH and there's still a bowl leftover and I only used about 2/3 of the pasta... portions are huge!

Another one was Asian chicken which was semi poached... tasted lovely but far too much faff... different dressings, a million pans. I did some short cuts to save on the washing up.

Another was calzone and salad which again were huge. Really tasty though using fresh dough in a packet :?

We went for mums OH's big birthday tea on Thursday to a gastropub type place. I had spiced tempura cauliflower with curry mayo to start and chicken Kiev for main. Then birthday cake and coffee.

Nothing else very exciting.

I forgot to cancel the hello fresh box in time so we've got another :oops: or we will have shortly.
But I'll save them for tomorrow onwards.
I'm working from home today so have had mushrooms on toast for breakfast.
Trying to persuade OH to go and get me a dosa for lunch.
Tea will be salmon topped with cream cheese and some breadcrumbs with a jacket potato and veg... at least Leo can share that with us.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 14th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Hope you've recovered from the flooding Rocky.

Friday we went to a street food restaurant and I had crispy Korean beef with rice, a couple of gyoza on the side.

Shopping in London on Saturday. We had gorgeous cake with coffee at a place in Belgravia, lunch in Liberty and cocktails in the Ned before getting the train home. Quick supermarket pizza when we got back.

Had a bit of an impromptu garden party yesterday with a group of friends and all of their kids. I managed to cobble together a load of salads, garlic bread, pickles, sliced ham, cheese board, olives etc plus a pasta dish with ham and peas.

Tonight we've had roast lamb with skordalia, Greek salad, pickled cabbage and red onion, green salad and flat bread.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » August 14th, 2017, 7:17 pm

I keep saying I'll post each day to document our evening meal, then keep forgetting.
Anyway tonight we had noodle bowls with seaweed, fried fish balls, cherry tomatoes, soy eggs, kimchi, chilli oil and the stock was made with laksa paste.
I was at the Chinese Supermarket in Dundee last week and that's what I bought, plus my favourite crisps, I am a total crisp addict :D
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 14th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Yes, forgot to say, hope all is recovering from the flood Rocky, not what you want to come back to from holiday :hug:

As predicted, tonight will be leftover schnitzel with 3 vaguely Austrian salads, potato with onion & parsley, cabbage with caraway (welk dille seed, I dropped the caraway), cucumber with fresh dill. Bit of tartare sauce

OMCO, next time you do a shopping run, walk up Kingly Street, the one that runs under the bridge in the middle of Liberty's, it's well on the way to becoming the place to lunch, Dishoom, Cinnamon Soho, Wright Brothers, Jinjoo, Darjeeling Expess just off in Kingly Court +++
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » August 14th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I have a hankering for pain perdu...
Amber
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 15th, 2017, 1:17 am

Thank you OMCO and Sue. All rather sad - countless people have lost everything. The island got 17 inches of rain in 12 hours which not many places can cope with. Happily we are fine as we live at the top of a hill. We spent yesterday in wellies with shovels in hand trying to help. Unfortunately, what looks like a brewing hurricane might arrive at the weekend.

Anyway _ it was actually rather nice to have no intermittent power and no internet all weekend. In a bizarre way,mit reminds you of a slightly simpler way of life.

Back to food - had the Sicilian sausage casserole using hot Italian sausages on Friday. Lunch out on Saturday was AMAZING fish tacos. Dinner was bits and pieces - fresh prawn spring rolls, gazpacho, Parma ham wrapped prawns and a few dips. Sunday lunch was leftovers and OH made a chilli last night which we had with HM guac and some BNS wedges. Tonight I have made a spud, onion, pepper and Tom tortilla which we have had with salad. Enough for both of us for lunch tomorrow.

Sue - I am inspired by your schnitzel accompaniments. We have shnitzel quite regularly but sides are going to change!
Rocky
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 15th, 2017, 10:02 am

Lunch: Chicken salad sandwich thin
Dinner: spag bol or chilli con carne and rice followed by a fruit yoghurt ( I took a bag of savoury mince out of the freezer to defrost)
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 15th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Food looks lush Herb. :hungry: :hungry:

Tarragon fishermans toast for brekkie

Lobster claw meat and HM mayo on some unusual breads Mr. Z. brought home for lunch

Supper is Lamb with yoghurt and dill/mint with rice.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 15th, 2017, 12:54 pm

One half of the family leaves tomorrow. Tonights supper is due to be

Soupe au Pistou.

Local cheeses with the first of our muscat grapes

Tarte Tropeziene
I've also got a selection of canapes out of the freezer to have with some bubbles these include mini pain bagnats and crispy coated prawns.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » August 15th, 2017, 6:16 pm

This evening we had chicken korma, rice, salad, veggie pakora, mango chutney, mixed pickle and mint sauce.
I served it, as usual on my thali plates which I love.

Zosh, what is tarragon fisherman's toast?
Not something I'm familiar with.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby EmWilk » August 15th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Hope everyone gets straight soon Rocky... I bet you're more grateful than ever for moving to your lovely house on the hill.

I had a lovely fresh croissant AND pain au chocolate with coffee for breakfast.
Half a fish and a handful of chips from the chippy for lunch.
Chicken shawarma from the hello fresh box which wasn't chicken shawarma at all but good god it was tasty. Chicken coated with 'shawarma spice mix', dukkah topped courgettes and lovely saucy chickpeas all topped with mint, more dukkah and greek yoghurt. I could eat it all again!

I have developed a bad habit of a cuppa and a bit of chocolate in the evening... not a good one to get into!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 15th, 2017, 8:33 pm

I had lunch out on my own at Albion. I had smashed sweet potatoes, corn and spinach with a poached egg and chilli flakes. They forgot my bread :shock:

Now I ordered Sussex Pond pudding with cream, but after a bit they came over and apologized for it's taking so long (I was writing. I hadn't noticed.) Then came over a bit later and apologized because they couldn't serve it to me, but I could have any other dessert on the menu on the house.
I asked for poached clementine with shortbread and clotted cream. Now I am not complaining because it was free, after all, but what they brought me was a whole (but thankfully pip-free) clementine (if it was poached, it must have been for seconds), a little triangle of millionaire's shortbread and some very thick, but not clotted cream as I know it cream.

I have to say the sweet potato et al was delicious. I may have to experiment.

I really do recommend this place. It's a 'chain' of two.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 15th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Magic, it is a mix of egg, milk, S&P and a sprinkling of dried tarragon mixed and dip slices of bread into it and fry in butter, naughty but lush. Some call it eggy bread..... Our bread was particularly dry !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 16th, 2017, 12:46 am

Thanks Em :hug:

I made fried rice this evening with various odds and ends in it. I also had a couple of aubergines so had a go at fish fragrant aubergine with hardly any of the correct ingredients. Turned out rather nicely but was so made up I will never be able to repeat it. Trying to decide if it might be suitable for lunch tomorrow - may be too garlicky....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 16th, 2017, 7:12 am

I still have some tarragon egg mix left from yesterday so a repeat brekkie...

Lunch is 2nds of the fish soup from the day before yesterday.

Supper for Mr. Z. will be the last of the fish cakes and cous cous with carrots, I will finish the 2nd half of the lobster tail as he is not so bothered about lobby. :chops: :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 16th, 2017, 8:40 am

StokeySue wrote:OMCO, next time you do a shopping run, walk up Kingly Street, the one that runs under the bridge in the middle of Liberty's, it's well on the way to becoming the place to lunch, Dishoom, Cinnamon Soho, Wright Brothers, Jinjoo, Darjeeling Expess just off in Kingly Court +++

I will do, thanks Sue. I tend to spend most time in/around the financial district for work so it's rare I get a chance to explore elsewhere. Food was actually secondary to the shopping on this occasion (I know, I know!) but we'll make more effort next time. Really loved the Ned though - we're hoping to stay at the Farmhouse next year at some point and the Barcelona outpost is also on my list :bounce:

Last night we took inspiration from a Jamie Oliver dish in this weekends Sunday Times supplement and had chicken breasts stuffed with pesto and wrapped in puff pastry. Served with slow roast vine tomatoes, green beans and a light sauce/dressing made using evoo, njuda, basil and roast peppers from a jar.

I've defrosted some pork, apricot and chestnut sausages for dinner tonight. Not sure yet what we'll have with them.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 16th, 2017, 9:08 am

Lunch: turkey salad sandwich thin

Dinner: Slimming world recipe all day breakfast followed by a fruit yoghurt (no need to ask what tomorrow's breakfast will be :rolleyes: )
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Breakfast: Marmite toast.
Snack: yogurt, fruit
Lunch: Waldorf salad with a new season Discovery apple and Fox Red Leicester
Supper: Sausage and lentil casserole with Tuscan kale, which conveniently used up a load of odds and bobs
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » August 16th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Three disturbances in the Atlantic have the potential to come our way so we are on storm preparedness - which in food terms means eating anything that might not survive power cuts and ensuring we have red wine and/ or ice for drinks :oops:

So a prawn curry it is which I will have with various roasted roots and OH will have rice. There are some Chutnies in the fridge too.
Rocky
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop