What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby andipandi » June 23rd, 2017, 12:39 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I baked potato with chilli and cheese was a canteen favourite when I worked at the Virgin Megastore Megamoons ago. Not so dissimilar from you curry perhaps, andipandi?

Hadn't thought of it like that. Makes sense.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Rocky » June 23rd, 2017, 7:14 pm

Somehow though, chili and cheese seems more natural than curry and cheese....

Haven't had a particularly exciting eating week so haven't updated. There seems to have been far too many office celebration involving a wee glass of fizz which means simple food has won the day. Chili from the freezer (no cheese :D ), spicy meatballs. Oh actually, one evening we had a variation of what BBC Good Food calls garbure but not very authentic. We called it cabbage, bacon n beans - with thyme and garlic. Delicious if slightly unsophisticated. OH has been out the last few nights so just lots of roasted veg for me. We are out tonight with a couple who have a three month old baby. The mum has only just come back - when she found out she was pregnant Zika was rife so she went back to the UK. I am v impressed at a new mum leaving her new baby so early on. I suspect we might share lots of small bits.

Tomorrow a friend who used to live here and is back on holiday is coming over for lunch. Fresh spring rolls, crab and avo salad and some dips are on the cards. Steak in the evening. First of all, have to get through a 10k race at 5 am :shock: . My knee is a bit jiggly again but I feel I should do it. We'll see how many :cocktail: I have this evening. Any more than two and the answer will be no....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 23rd, 2017, 8:02 pm

A friend at work used to have hummous on her baked potatoes :shock:

For me it needs to be something slightly fatty. If it's 'juicy' then the juice just soaks into the potato turning it into mush. i.e it's not the flavour of the filling but the texture/fat content that's important to me. Mind you lots of people like baked beans on their jacket potatoes.

I am having quorn balls in a spicy (smoked paprika) and basil tomato sauce with an unseemly amounted grated Emmental for dinner. If I am still hungry will finish the last tiny bit of lemon tart with some more rhubarb. Lunch was just two slices of ciabatta. Breakfast was a banana and a protein shake ( :o )
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » June 23rd, 2017, 9:56 pm

Had an amazing pastry from Pollen bakery for breakfast. Dinner was a veggie wrap from Pret. Tea was a vegan cauliflower bun from one of the traders at Grub, a street food and beer event in Manchester. Plus several special beers for Manchester beer week at several venues. Just had a bit of quiche now I'm home.
smitch
Registered

Postby EmWilk » June 23rd, 2017, 10:31 pm

Oooh, I've not updated all week. Don't think there's been anything too interesting.

We had satay beef one night using skirt steak, that was nice with some chilli noodles and a cucumber and ginger pickle.

Went out with my friend last night and had a good old catch up over some lovely food: we shared 2 starters: indian veggie platter (potato and pea pakora's, fried paneer - I don't think it was actually paneer :? and spiced chickpeas) and ginger and lime king prawns and squid. For mains, I had katsu cod with peanut curry sauce, pickled veg and very fragrantly spiced rice. Friend had a piggy platter which looked fab - gammon rib eye with a fried bantam egg, pork fillet wrapped in bacon with pineapple ketchup, glazed pork belly, black pudding fritter and mashed potato.
We even had desserts! Friend had steamed syrup sponge and custard. I had a apple, hazelnut and brandy tart with ice cream :drool:

Today's been a strange old day... been manic from the second we got up - guy coming to finish boiler, then into work for a horrible task, set teams up, felt sick with looming migraine, came home, boiler guy is drilling through walls :cry: , got a couple of hours sleep, carried on working, problem with gas pressure with new boiler in, national grid out, painful!, Leo came home, vomited everywhere, cried in the bath (the baby who does't cry!), realised I've not eaten all day.... So! Boy in bed, visit from brother, pizza ordered.... and breathe! Migraine is at 5% (a.k.a background only!). Bed soon me thinks!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 24th, 2017, 10:13 am

Em, what a busy and annoying day you seem to have had...... Hope today is better :tu:

Very late start today...... he is having a BLT for brekkie, I will have some melon. A bowl of Suffs. Fennel gazpacho for lunch and some sarnies. Supper will be a w'rose gammon stk. with leek cheese and mustard sauce and a breadcrumb coating, courgettes somehow? and gooseberry clafautis. Will also be making some coconut macaroons as the oven will be on.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Rocky » June 24th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Hmm - friend decided last minute that she didn't have time to come over so I met her in town for a quick glass of wine (actually 2 - in the middle of the day :oops: :oops: ) so lunch was salt and vinegar crisps and a bit of salad. Dinner will be the fresh spring rolls and other bits and we will have the steak tomorrow.....
Rocky
Registered

Postby EmWilk » June 24th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Much better thanks Zosh.
Went for brekkie with mum and sister. I had a ciabatta with fried egg, hash brown, tomato, cheese and avocado... sounds weird, was lovely! Plus a cappuccino and an earl grey.
Went to local field day and had a big slab of lovely black forest cake.
Just made a very quick chicken and pepper "curry" with rice.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby smitch » June 24th, 2017, 10:16 pm

I'm in my hometown this weekend enjoying some of the city of culture stuff. As a result, dinner/tea was a Hull speciality, patty and chips really enjoyed it :chops: Too full for anything else before the gig we're here to see, Flaming Lips supported by Public Service Broadcasting. Had an amazing night.

Not sure about breakfast tomorrow, am hoping to go to a nice cafe I've read about on Facebook. Will see!
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 24th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Must Google those Smitch.... also a patty and chips, although I obviously know what chips are, but Hull style ???

Em, glad to hear you are feeling better.

I did not get my melon, was too busy feeding tommys and plants and before I knew it, it was time for soup.... cold.... and really good! a great recipe, handsome left for another day ! :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby smitch » June 24th, 2017, 11:14 pm

A patty is basically mashed potato with sage & onion battered and fried. Yum! http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/how-make-perfect-hull-pattie-80449

They're delicious. The one Ricky Gervais hated on The One Show was from a rubbish, but weirdly famous, local chippy.

You've got to serve your patty and chips with plenty of chip spice too http://www.weirdretro.org.uk/one-hull-of-a-story-the-history-of-chip-spice.html

Total carb fest, but so good
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 25th, 2017, 6:19 am

Great read and video, so do you know what the secret ingredient is in the patty?????? I have never seen chip spice in any ASDA around here, I shall have to try and see if I can find out what goes into it. Shame they removed the celery.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby smitch » June 25th, 2017, 8:10 am

No idea about the secret ingredient. I don't go to Carvers, the ones I had yesterday just tasted of sage and onion. You can buy chip spice online, but as far as I can tell it is salt with paprika and tomato powder. Looks like Schwartz do something called 'chip seasoning' which might be similar but I haven't tried it.

It's funny, every chippy round here has their own patty recipe and has chip spice on the counter. Never seen either anywhere else.
smitch
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 25th, 2017, 8:30 am

smitch wrote:
It's funny, every chippy round here has their own patty recipe and has chip spice on the counter. Never seen either anywhere else.

I don't know about chippies as it's years since I've been in one, but around York takeaways always offer you 'red salt' which is the same thing. I think a patty sounds rather nice.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby missmancs » June 25th, 2017, 8:36 am

Well so far today just a :mug: (or 2!).
Yesterday it was fruit and yoghurt for breakfast then nothing all day until teatime where it was stir fry Turkey with various 'green' veg with homemade Salt and Pepper chips. I'm back on Slimming World now so sat this morning and made a plan for the week......fruit and yoghurt seem to be featuring quite a lot!!
Jane
x
missmancs
Registered

Postby andipandi » June 25th, 2017, 10:04 am

The best chips I've ever had was when I was in my 20s and on holiday in Edinburgh. They were so yummy and almost tasted like they were dipped in gravy. It transpired that this is because they were cooked in lard or dripping which apparently was the norm.

I've had roasted cheese on toast for brunch. Going to family for a roast later. Think it's pork.
andipandi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 25th, 2017, 12:37 pm

AP, the best chips are always cooked in lard - naughty but nicer.... :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby andipandi » June 25th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Absolutely agree - delicious!
andipandi
Registered

Postby andipandi » June 26th, 2017, 10:27 am

I want chips cooked in lard now! Anyway, the usual banana on toast for breakfast. I have brought a lunchbox to work with some salad with cheese and tuna and a hard boiled egg. Am going to avoid snacking today as I ate a lot yesterday at the family dinner. Soooo many roast spuds and there was cauliflowe cheese which I hoovered up. Dinner is curry and chips. Oven ones unfortunately.
andipandi
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 26th, 2017, 10:37 am

I don't like chips :shock: :shock: :o

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments then bitesize shredded wheat an milk

Lunch: chicken mayo sandwich thin

Dinner: chicken salad with new potatoes followed by strawberries and creme fraiche
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby andipandi » June 26th, 2017, 10:44 am

icelesley wrote:I don't like chips :shock: :shock: :o

:o

I wish I didnt like them so much but I love all things potato. Mash, roast, sauteed, chipped, croquette, dauphinoise, hassleback, crushed - not so keen on Lyonnaise.
andipandi
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 26th, 2017, 10:47 am

II don't like wedges either. I have one small roast potato on Sunday dinner, but I do like mash, but don't have it very often and I do like new potatoes boiled the rest I can leave.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 26th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Zosherooney wrote:AP, the best chips are always cooked in lard - naughty but nicer.... :chops:

I disagree beef dripping is the thing :twisted:

I too love any sort of potato, I am far less keen on pasta and rice but I like polenta.

On Saturday I did hake fillets baked on a bed of tomato slices and topped with tapenade and gremoltata which I served with garden potatoes.
Yesterday we were out for dinner, smoked salmon with prawn mayo, stuffed veal roast with a delicious onion sauce and a cleariac and portato puree. Dessert was simply a fresh fruit salad.

Tonight I have a Boboti to put in the oven with three grain rice and spinach to go with it and an apricot clafoutis to follow.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 26th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Yesterday a not up to standards lunch in Dulwich: pea and mint cake followed by sticky toffee pudding (I know. I couldn't resist. But I wish I had. It was overcooked.)

Today, I had an unexpected and lovely lunch with my husband.

Asparagus and fresh goats cheese salad (with slivers of raw celeriac, I think), brown bread and butter, then another not very summery Sussex pond pudding with single cream.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Not updated much recently
Had lovely shared plates with a friend at my superb new local pub on Friday, described elsewhere
Saturday toast for breakfast, a quick pizza style open sandwich, a flat bread topped with tapenade, goat's cheese and cherry toms for lunch then supper for me and friend was Catalan fish stew with new pots and green beans, followed by pancakes with macerated strawberries and creme fraiche
Toast again yesterday, out for lunch of calamari, sea bream with couscous and tomato vinaigrette, very nice but I left most of the couscous as I'd ordered pud, panna cotta with caramel sauce drizzled over

Supper was a huge salad including leftover pots and beans, and blue cheese (friend brought me Lanark Blue direct from the maker at the Highland Show)

Today breakfast was leftover pancakes with maple syrup, lunch a huge salad including a pear-celery-blue cheese-walnut concoction on top
Keep nibbling fruit
Supper will be either pasta or courgetti with leftover fish stew, strawberries and cream

Might eat less fish tomorrow :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » June 26th, 2017, 6:23 pm

It's been a mixed few days. Lots of celebrations for SIL's 40th birthday and I had a wonderful spiced duck flatbread yesterday at a meal out.

But our wonderful wonderful cat was killed on the road over the weekend and we've not felt like cooking or eating much. We had a pie out of the freezer tonight with carrots, peas and gravy which was OK but a bit stodgy for this time of year.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 26th, 2017, 6:24 pm

:hug: :hug: OMCO

Sending you much love.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 26th, 2017, 6:28 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Horrible, horrible news. So sorry OMCO.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2017, 6:54 pm

So sorry to hear about your puss cat OMCO :hug: :hug: :hug: Food will come back into the equation soon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby andipandi » June 26th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that.
andipandi
Registered

Postby EmWilk » June 26th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Oh Emma, what a shame, I'm sorry to hear that :cry:

Yesterday, I had mini pastries for breakfast.
Embarrassingly trashy snack of potato waffles (done in the toaster!) With cream cheese :oops:
Off to dad's for a bbq... a nice burger, sausage and pork steak plus lots of bots of salad, olives, coleslaw, herby spuds then a bit of cheesecake and profiteroles for afters!

Today, toast for breakfast.
KFC for lunch :oops:
Homemade pizza for tea with Serrano ham, mushrooms and mozzarella.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby smitch » June 26th, 2017, 9:46 pm

So sorry about your cat :hug:
smitch
Registered

Postby Rocky » June 26th, 2017, 11:39 pm

What horrible news OMCO. So so sorry :hug: :hug:
Rocky
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 27th, 2017, 8:51 am

Oh OMCO.... So, so sorry... poor little furry soul.... I know he had a wonderful life with you but it's not the point is it? Big hugs. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 27th, 2017, 9:25 am

So sorry to hear about your cat, OMCO :hug: :hug: :hug: from me too.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Bubbles » June 27th, 2017, 10:47 am

Very sorry to hear about your cat OMCO :hug:
Bubbles
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » June 27th, 2017, 11:04 am

Thanks all, he was such a loving cat :cry:

Anyway, fruit and yoghurt for breakfast. OH is on holiday today so we stopped at a local cafe after Lilia's music class this morning and ended up ordering shakshuka and coffee.

Flicking through cookbooks for dinner inspiration and we've decided on an Atul Kochhar recipe of vava meen roast (south Indian fish sandwich) which doesn't involve bread but is a crab curry sat between two small fillets of grilled plaice. I doubt we'll want much with it - a small salad perhaps.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 27th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Speechless, I lost one of our on a quiet lane, devastated for months...... OMCO don't know how you will do but our thoughts are with you. :hug: :hug: :hug: I worry every time ours go out....they are now fed and locked in till sparrow time 5.15am :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby andipandi » June 28th, 2017, 11:21 am

Its such a wrench to lose a pet. They are so much part of the family. My parents in law lost their beloved dog on Sunday. He was fine but had a sudden attack where his heart filled with blood or something. Mum is inconsolable. He was a rescue dog and blind from birth. He hadn't been treated well all his life and had a second lease of life- really enjoying his new home. He was the most darling dog ever and everyone loved him - tearing up just thinking about it.

Anyway,fuel - had toast and banana as per, spud and cheesy beans from office canteen. Having pasta gratin with cheese, bacon and leeks and garlic bread later. I eat too many carbs.
andipandi
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » June 28th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Thank you. It's very true that they become part of the family. That's so sad about your PIL's dog Andi :(

I've eaten an absolute load of rubbish today.

A bacon and maple pancake, 2 duck spring rolls, a small piece of chocolate birthday brownie leftover from SIL's birthday and a handful of Walkers sweet chilli crisps. Dinner is going to be a fishfinger sandwich with a caper lemon mayo and we'd better have a salad alongside to make sure we ingest some nutrients today.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Rocky » June 29th, 2017, 1:14 am

People who don't understand that a pet is family haven't had an animal. We inherited our two mogs and they are so rewarding. Apparently some research says that cats don't recongise any one human over another and we consider that to be absolute rubbish. Ours are embarrassingly pathetic with strangers but so affectionate with us. I can't walk around the house without a shadow that butts against my legs for affection.

Back to food. We had a Thai red curry prawn and noodle dish. Tonigh was HM coriander and chili pesto with stacks of roasted veg. Tomorrow is essentially Friday as Friday itself is a holiday here :bounce:
Rocky
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 29th, 2017, 6:28 am

Totally agree with you Rocks, Scrumpy especially does face recognition you would think he should have a job at passport control !!!!

I have crab stock and crab and all the rest to do this recipe so that will be a fairly substantial lunch. https://www.morethangourmet.com/recipe- ... o-croutons.

brekkie will be toast I think, and supper maybe the last of the dolmades.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 29th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Haven't been here for a couple of days but really sorry to hear about the puss cat OMCO. Always upsetting. :hug: :hug: I'd be interested to hear how your Atul Kochhar recipe went. We adored the food in his restuarant when we were in London :drool:

Thank goodness it is cooler so i can think about proper food.
Lightly toasted banana bread with honey and chopped nuts for brekkie yesterday.
Lunch was ham wrapped around cottage cheese with fresh herbs and a green salad and fresh peaches.
Supper was Osso Bucco with creamy polenta and fresh spinach followed by blueberry pancakes.

Breakfast this morning was HM yogurt with blackberries and blue berries for himself
Lunch was a smoked duck breast and peach salad followed by watermeolon and "ordinary" melon wedges
Supper tonight is to be Chicken Lyonaise and fresh baby beets then - oh joy! - gooseberry sponge. Mr R came back from the supermarket with a pile of dessert goodeberries which had been reduced to 40 cents a 150g punnet. The young man at the fruit and veg place who knows he's English stopped him and gave him a stack having asked if he liked "Mackerel currants" Groseilles a maquereaux" because he said the French don't know what to do with them but he knew the Brits did, Sponge made and chutney about to be, what a treat :hungry:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » June 29th, 2017, 1:42 pm

The recipe was really good Rats...nice and light but lots of flavour. We opted for the tomato, cress and balsamic salad as an accompaniment. It's this one...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/south ... andw_89816

I've had a better food day today compared to yesterdays rubbish...

Yoghurt, fruit and a ham salad sandwich with chipotle mayo.

Dinner will be frittata with smoked mackerel, watercress, pea and mint, plus a pile of dressed leaves on the side.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » June 29th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Dont read this page very often, make me too hungry. So sorry to hear about your beloved puss cat OMCO. His paw prints will be on your heart forever. :hug: :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby smitch » June 29th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Monday was a very nice pie I picked up in Hull before I came home.

Tuesday we went to Bundobust and shared okra fries, chick pea curry, onion bhaji, bhel puri and some bread.

Yesterday was leek and blue cheese risotto. Haven't had risotto for ages and really enjoyed it. Tonight a not very exciting supermarket tortellini and sauce.

All has been preceded or washed down with some good beer. It is Manchester Beer Week this week and there is some good stuff going on. Cheers! :plink:
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 30th, 2017, 6:52 am

Yesterday was the end of Mr. Z's scrambled egg on toast, then 2 hours later a mug of cereal.

Lunch was a wrap with greek salad cheese melted rolled up with some HM brown sauce.

Supper was a seafood bowl of soup/stew with finely chopped mixed veg, rainbow pasta, baby octopus, and large prawns. It was spicy and very tasty. Some left for another 2 portions... :chops: just need to add some more prawns.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 30th, 2017, 7:30 am

Zosherooney wrote:Supper was a seafood bowl of soup/stew with finely chopped mixed veg, rainbow pasta, baby octopus, and large prawns. It was spicy and very tasty. Some left for another 2 portions... just need to add some more prawns

I've never considered reheating seafood soup an option as I worry the fish overcooks? I adore all seafood but I can't stand it tough and chewy
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 30th, 2017, 8:01 am

What I did Catherine, was serve up all the fish but the sauce/juice will have some more uncooked fish added to cook it in it. I have done this before and am still here to tell the fishy tale !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 30th, 2017, 9:28 am

The goosegog sponge was lovely. I made proper custard.

I've got some rascasse fillets for tonight so I'm doing a recipe from my friend in Marseille. Cooekd sking side down only and served on a bed of courgettes fennel, aubergine and tomatoes finish with pastis and a very little cream. I managed to save half the sponge for afters.

Must go downstairs to find something for lunch. I think piperade and melon wedges. I am addicted to watermelon.
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop