What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 13th, 2017, 1:24 pm

StokeySue wrote:I don't know about the best way but it works, and it's fun to see the stone in action
I've always used a jam jar rather than an egg cup, so you can see the roots growing down and it holds enough water to last all day like a hyacinth in one of the special vases.

It may well be a jam jar that it suggests - I couldn't remember exactly off the top of my head but it makes more sense!

Catherine, she dragged me kicking and screaming ;)
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 14th, 2017, 7:55 pm

V French and not really by choice. I will try to be less french if I can help it tomorrow, but: baguette and bread and butter, omelette fromage and salad, fondant au chocolat and creme anglais, citron presse, then bitty 'dinner': shavings of tete de moine, goats cheese balls with olive and tomato tapenade, two little choux buns: strawberry and salted caramel, a small bowl of fresh tropical fruit, and :?: a chocolate blondie (just a small one!)

It's a nightmare writing in French on my iPad!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 14th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Choux buns:
IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2696.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Luca » July 14th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I've done quite well today comparatively but am looking forward to going to the market and butcher tomorrow as I've been trying to use up things. I can't wait until freezer is empty and I can restock! Need to get my food mojo back

Breakfast was coffee... A couple of cold hard boiled eggs around midday, an avocado a little later. Supper was linguine with garlic, red chilli, capers and black olives, plus evoo . Didn't have any anchovies. :cry:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby smitch » July 14th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Braeakfast was a veggie sausage sandwich in Pollen seeded sourdough with brown sauce. Dinner was leftovers from Bundobust followed by a fab chocolate brownie from Pollen. Probably the best brownie I've ever had, so rich and gooey.

Tea was veggie pad Thai with home made summer rolls :chops:
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 14th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Breakfast toast and marmalade
Nibbled cherries
Made an open sandwich with a small flat bread topped with Coriander pesto, tomato, some grilled aubergine I'd marinated in a tad of garlic oil, topped with a bit of halloumi. Yum!
Some yogurt

Supper was the courgette gratin from the Rose Elliot thread with some little sausages
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 15th, 2017, 9:11 am

Gosh, I had no idea you could do that with avocado stones. I have one in the fridge for a salad tomorrow so I think I shall give it a go.

I really must make the Rose Elliot gratin now you lovely lot have found me the recipe again! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 15th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Yesterday's lunch was grilled goats' cheese on fresh beetroot with a little balsamic followed by a slice of fruit cake.

Supper was oven baked hake topped with aioli and served with parmesan fennel. Pud was white peaches stuffed with amaretti and also baked.

This morning Mr R had yogurt and berries. We had melon, cured ham and Mozarella salad followed by fromage blanc and thin cream.
Loads of eggs so cheese souffle with green salad tonight and a peach and plum and ginger crumble afterwards,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 15th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I have had yoghurt and nectarines today and more homemade lemonade. Also quite a few Nice biscuits. I keep going in the cupboards and fridge for dinner inspiration but nothing is really grabbing me. I saw some nice looking baby aubergine and okra on the corner earlier and they are open until late, and I have curry paste and coconut milk. Hmmm...a foregone conclusion?
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Bread and jam, croissant, yoghurt, and eclair. Very balanced...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 6:44 pm

A sausage sarnie in a rustic french roll shared between us, after our cat sitter had been and collected his rolls.

Followed by a shared smoked salmon and cream cheese sarnie and a tuna and cuc. sarnie courtesy of W'rose for a late lunch, and a couple of shared danish pastries warmed in the george forman.

Supper will be the left overs of the chicken and mixed veg roast from a couple of days ago.

A very easy and lazy days eating as far as I am concerned.

Defo up for the chilli and chocolate festival at Bath tomorrow, a couple of good sound bites in there too !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 15th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Bread and jam, croissant, yoghurt, and eclair. Very balanced...

.....tomorrow you will be running the marathon
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 15th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Ecky thump, another week gone almost...

Tuesday, I had my fab packed lunch :tu:
Tea was a very very late kebab from a place that's just reopened in a new spot... it was REALLY good :drool:

Wednesday I had a Greggs veggie pasty on the hoof en route to a meeting.
I just had a piece of toast for tea.

Thursday, packed lunch was homemade hummus, the last of the giant couscous with halloumi and courgette, carrot and cucumber sticks, cherry toms and a couple of falafel.
Friend brought tea round from health shack place... wholemeal pitta with steak, chicken and halloumi, a lovely tomato sauce, loads of salad and sweet potato fries.
Fat Friday... grilled peri peri chicken and chips for lunch.
Veg biryani for tea with randomly some nachos.

Today, toast this morning.
Halved with OH a masala dosa and samosa chaat.
I started making Thai red curry with deep fried tofu (first time I've bought it) but when I opened the packet, they were mouldy :cry: still in date too.
So I just chucked a load of veg and noodles into the bubbling sauce and chucked some dumplings in too. Too spicy though so a bit if a disaster all round.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 15th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Today
1. Toast and marmalade
2. Slice of courgette gratin, tomato salad, sluce of ham
3. Salmon cooked with fennel, splosh of vermouth, pink peppercorns, lemon basil :hungry: and some new pots
Might have a bit of Lancashire with my glass of rose
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Catherine wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:Bread and jam, croissant, yoghurt, and eclair. Very balanced...

.....tomorrow you will be running the marathon

I ate some chilli and cheese when I got home. Walked about 35km in the last two days...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Today has been toasted cheese and mango chutney sandwich with sliced tomato. This afternoon I fancied green. My local only had Brussel sprouts. I have some on the go and veg samosa in the oven. Not a typical combination but it could work!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 16th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Sprouts? At this time of the year?? Blimey.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 16th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Sprouts? At this time of the year?? Blimey.

They're a bit late to get them on for CH*****s though aren't they?

Quiet day foodwise so we can watch the tennis and Le Tour.
Breakfast was some fresh baguette, still warm from the bakers the fig jam and butter.

Lunch was a bit Like Moira's. Sliced melon, local ham and mozarella with mint vinaigrette followed by peaches and a cup of coffee with a square of dark dark chocolate,
There is a gourgerre filled with chicken livers, mushrooms and tomato sitting in the fridge ready to cook when possible. Various possibilities for dessert none of which would be exactly :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Sprouts were the only thing available frozen. Okay if a bit chewy! I normally adore fresh and will avoid frozen wherever possible.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby smitch » July 16th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Breakfast was some more lovely sourdough bread and a cup of tea. Dinner was an amazing roast at Refuge in Manchester. One of the best roast dinners I've ever had. The vimto braised red cabbage was delicious.

Tea was gin at a bar with over 200 to choose from :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 16th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Way too much
I had a fried egg with a bit of ham andpotat
Nibbled cake all afternoon
Had a small late of roast pork with veg for supper
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 17th, 2017, 7:15 am

Yesterday I had a most unsatisfactory 'smoked' (I did not detect this aspect of it) beetroot tart, with a side salad. Unsatisfactory because the beetroot was too sweet and there is only so much beetroot one can have in one go. But the alternative was a quinoa burger. This was in a Mitchel and Butler pub.Dinner was a sandwich made from bought tomato marinated tofu, which I am afraid I deveganified with some aioli and a bit of cheese. Cheese was superfluous.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 17th, 2017, 8:19 am

smitch wrote:.
Tea was gin at a bar with over 200 to choose from :lol:

Sounds like the perfect tea to me. I assume you didn't try them all :lol:

Poached egg on Marmite toast - just the toast for me for breakfast.

Something salady for lunch with chicken liver pate made from the rest of the chicken livers I used yesterday

Stir fried chicken with broccoli and cashews and egg fried rice tonight. Ive just put a breton far in the oven for pud.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » July 17th, 2017, 9:36 am

Ha ha definitely not, I limited myself to 2 different ones! I've been to the bar a few times but still haven't made much of a dent in the list :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 17th, 2017, 11:03 am

Let us know when you come up with #1 smitch

Nothing so far, as I'm going out around six I'll have a quick brunch now, and early supper with leftover pork roast and a substantial salad
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 17th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Breakfast: Bite size shredded wheat and milk

Lunch:Chicken mayo sandwich thin

Dinner: Cold chicken with salad and new potatoes followed by a yoghurt
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 17th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Brunch was a cheese and tomato toastie, and some yogurt with blueberries
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 18th, 2017, 8:53 am

Hi all from sunny Ibiza where I am on a family holiday to celebrate my brother's birthday :)

Saturday was traveling and the only nice thing of note was abut of jerk chicken. Sunday breakfast atCharles de Gaulle airport was some courgette soup :shock: It didn't feel like breakfast time. Brother had booked 'lunch' at 3:30 ata very cool place. Went straight here at 4 when we landed and had a nibble of iberico ham and then shared a Thai beef salad and some seared tuna. Dinner was crisps back at the villa.

Yesterday we had brunch of smoked salmon and scrambled egg with Buck's Fizz for the birthday boy. Dinner was a variety of sausages, some lovely salmon, little cubed spuds and salad. Today was supposed to be a day on a boat but OH has a migraine so we have stayed back so no idea what lunch will be. We are having a party this evening as brother has lots of friends on the island this week. We have steaks, marinated chicken, pork tenderloin and sausages with coleslaw, potato salad, a beetroot salad and other bits.
Rocky
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 18th, 2017, 10:35 am

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments then Bite size shredded wheat and milk
two flat peaches :drool:

Turkey salad sandwich thin

Dinner: Slimming world recipe all day breakfast followed by a fruit yoghurt ( so it will be bacon toasty for brekkie tomorrow) ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 18th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Gosh Rocks, you do get around !!!!!

Eggy Bacon rustic roll for brekkie. Lunch was L.O. of P pod soup, L.O. rice salad and some thin slices of spanish salami, and the end of the peach tatin.

Lasagne for supper.... (Not mine, W'Rose)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Enjoy your holiday Rocky. Happy birthday to your bro.

Yogurt and peaches for Mr R's breakfast - peaches for me.

HM chicken liver parfait and sour dough toast for lunch followed by a fresh fruit platter

As soon as I see then end of today's Tour stage (in our neck of the woods now) I'll pop downstairs and shover the quiche I have almost ready into the oven and we'll have that with fresh beetroot and wilted spinach. I've got Far left from last night
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 18th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Rocky... so very jealous of your travels! Do let us know if you're swinging by the UK too!

I've been on a course the last 2 days... six sigma stuff and it was quite intense so i have drank far too much coffee and tea, had a few too many biscuits and had the same buffet lunch each day of fresh bread, oil & balsamic; eastern spiced quinoa salad; smoked salmon, new spuds & soft boiled eggs with salad; little tomato tarts; spiced chicken; hummus & crisps plus a dainty little cake, some dried fruit & nuts.

Tea last night was homemade sushi - tuna, cucumber and Japanese mayo; 5 spice tofu & kimchi; salmon & sriracha mayo.

Tonight, OH and I shared a bag of chips!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 19th, 2017, 9:18 am

Enjoy your holiday Rocky! We loved Ibiza when we went last year.

On Sunday we had mezze... a large heaped dish of quinoa and brown rice with cubes of dukkah spiced sweet potatoes, sauted onion, peppers and garlic topped with crumbled feta, mint and pomegranate. Homemade humous and falafel. A green salad. A tomato, red onion, olive and parsley salad. Some crudités and toasted tortilla 'crisps', olives, grilled halloumi, various chilli sauce condiments etc. It fed a small crowd. Dessert was pavlova and fresh fruit salad.

Horrible dinner on Monday of pulled pork tacos with grilled corn, crunchy salad and dips etc. I had a lot on on Monday and so cheated with shop bought ready to eat pulled pork. It reminded me of cat food and made me heave.

Better last night though! We had bibimbap with brown rice, lovely spiced chicken, lots of bits of veg, a fried egg and sriracha.

Tonight it's retro gammon, homemade chips, egg, peas and pineapple.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 19th, 2017, 9:36 am

Breakfast as predicted was bacon and a spoonful of baked beans

Lunch: Turkey salad sandwich thin

Dinner: pasta in tomato sauce with side salad followed by a fruit yoghurt

Edited to say: Actually I might change my mind, I have a dish of left over roasted veg, so I might make a roast veg savoury rice type dish with grilled lamb steak and steamed tenderstem broccoli instead and have the veggie pasta tomorrow.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 20th, 2017, 8:21 am

Had our usual coffee and croissant after shopping.

Lunch was the rest of the chicken liver parfait with fresh crusty bread and tomato followed by a couple of sqyares of Far.

Supper was chicken with 40 cloves of garlic courgette and potato fritters followed by a naughty rum baba with raspberries.

Todays lunch is the rest of the quiche with assorted salads which I am just going down to make

I'll use some of the chicken to make a fresh peach and cashewnut curried salad tonight and have got some berry and rose jellies setting in the fridge.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » July 20th, 2017, 9:06 am

Toast with blackcurrant jam this morning.

Lunch will be at Abode. I'm not sure whether we're booked into the brasserie or the bar as it's a work thing.

Dinner will involve smoked haddock which I've ordered with todays veg box. I'm thinking of a sort of haddock and potato bake with chives and a dash of cream. We've got spinach, half a summer cabbage, cavolo nero, peas, carrots and chard so i'll make a side dish out of a selection of those.
I may need a mid morning sugar snack today as Lilia had me up at 3am with an earache, the wind and rain woke me at about 4 and then the sheep woke me at about 5am :twisted: :mug:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 20th, 2017, 9:16 am

Don't think I've eaten anything massively exciting
I did a teeny pork loin roast on Sunday, so I've been eating that in various guises, finishing with twice cooked pork "noodles" (cougetti)
yesterday, as I'd had moules a la creme with ciabatta at the pub at lunch time
Is there anything nicer than the gooey caramelised onion from under a pork roast? :chops:
Not sure about today yet
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 20th, 2017, 10:23 am

Breakfast: Fresh orange segments then the usual BS shredded wheat and milk

Lunch: ham & egg sandwich thin

Dinner: pasta in tomato sauce with side salad followed by a fruit yoghurt ( I did the roasted veg & rice but with pork steak and chilli sauce last night in the end)
icelesley
Registered

Postby Rocky » July 20th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Thanks all. We do know we are fantastically lucky. The barbecue for the birthday was fab but we made WAY too much food so that took care of breakfast and lunch yesterday. Everyone else went out to an expensive cabaret restaurant place yesterday but OH and I took the view that it was too expensive for something that wasn't our thing so went into the beautiful old town and happened upon an amazing restaurant. For starter I had a variety of Spanish cured ham with pressed melon and toasted pistachio. OH had clams with a different sort of ham and a ham broth. Both amazing. For main I had the fish of the day which was something local I hadn't heard of before with carrots five ways - roasted, foam, purée and others I can't remember with a smoked goat cheese emulsion. Out of the this world. OH had squid stuffed with sopresata. No breakfast this morning as we have been out for lunch. There was a fish of the day for two people but we shared it between four and also had a few oysters. Lunch was cut short as OH had a work call. As he had two yesterday I am not very impressed but do appreciate that it is his job that allows us to do many of the lovely things we do :rolleyes:

Tonight is more hoovering up of the barbecue bits - we didn't cook everything. We are then due to go to a club at midnight :scared: Given I am usually in bed by about ten, I am feeling slightly apprehensive. No idea what food plans are tomorrow....
Rocky
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2017, 6:02 pm

I picked at a few white choc chip cookies late morning and then made a fruit sorbet and had a bit of that but I will turn it into a compote with ice cream for later, also tinned semolina frozen, one spoonful of, yum! Cheese and mango chutney toastie. Just one. The other one is in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow. I have one of those liquid Weetabix breakfast drinks my Mum got me later and the other one in the morning if I like it enough! All this walking and strengthening up my leg muscles is making me hungrier than usual.
I hope you enjoyed your day of feasting! I feel satisfied in the belly department.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby smitch » July 20th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Breakfast was porridge. Dinner was tomato soup and bread.

Tea was delicious. Grub food fair here in Manchester had a social event to raise money for a local indie coffee shop who have lost lots of money through no fault of their own. I shared a squash and walnut pizza with OH and then we had a cheese toastie and an aubergine and cauliflower toastie between us. Pudding was a still warm donut :chops: Hopefully they'll raise plenty for the other business, the place was packed out when we left.
smitch
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 21st, 2017, 7:42 am

I struggled to eat breakfast this morning, I just wasn't hungry so if the trend lasts all day I will not eat. OH will have to have something out of the freezer :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2017, 8:10 am

Yesterday, toast, big salad with pastrami and cheese for lunch, the veggie curry in Wetherspoons for supper
Today no idea yet

Rocky, your food sounds lovely, I must get away soon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » July 21st, 2017, 12:30 pm

I made a gorgeous oxtail and smoked garlic ragu yesterday which we had with pappardelle and salad, first proper meal I've cooked in ages, we've been living on salad/cheese/three for a fiver tapas thingies from Asda.
Tonight is chicken nuggets, waffles and beans, tomorrow a Thai prawn curry and not sure about Sunday.
I'm making the teenager come to see Andre Rieu in the cinema with me so might treat her to takeaway after.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 22nd, 2017, 12:30 am

For brunch I had a fried egg toasted sandwich with ketchup and apple juice.
Early afternoon half a portion of fish finger sandwich on white bloomer with tartare sauce and chips at Sainsbury's cafe shared with my Mum and I drank strawberry milkshake. A piece of chocolate birthday cake which was purchased for my nephew. And a raspberry lemonade in Costa.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 22nd, 2017, 9:12 am

I still had some chicken left yesterday so we had chicken and avocado salad sandwiches for lunch followed by fresh fruit platter.

Supper used up the last of the bird as a filling for vol-au-vents with dried and fresh mushroons and fresh herbs in a white wine sauce. Broccoli puree and grilled tomatoes as sides.The two remaining jellies afterwards.

I've got the insides of a fish pie underway for tonight. It's ages since we had one. I got some beautiful blackberries given me in the market so it's blackberry and apple crumble.

We're out tomorrow night So it will be a light lunch and the traditional glass of champers while watching the goings on on the Champs Elysees.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 22nd, 2017, 11:51 am

Well yesterday a big salad with tuna and white beans for lunch
Fusilli Bolognese for supper with another salad of rocket, green beans and peach
More peach and a few strawberries
The peaches we are getting at the moment are fantastic, the big flat white ones, when you bite into one the syrup runs down your chin, knife and fork recommended!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 22nd, 2017, 12:10 pm

Did a big shop at my butchers and greengrocer yesterday as am determined to cut down on my supermarket shopping. Had one of their scotch eggsfir lunch with salad and some chutney. Got a small boneless leg of pork joint , which I covered in a honey /mustard/lemon marinade and put some fresh rosemary in the incisions in the fat.
One of the best pork joints I've had in ages. Really tender and juicy. I roasted potatoes and parsnips in a honey balsamic/garlic oil mix and had with tenderstem broccoli and leeks. Hadn't eaten all day so polished off quite a plateful. Small amount had again for lunch today.
Tonight might just bee chicken Kiev with salad. I might roast a tray of shallots, parsnips and carrots with rosemary and garlic then blitz with some stock to make a soup as well.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 22nd, 2017, 4:49 pm

Lots of left overs and bits and bobs, culminated in a bit of a mezze for lunch

Brekkie was a sort of tortilla and a bit of toast

Supper is a small piece of cod and a souflee (each) cod shared with veg and a new pot into chips.

Maybe a dognut with cream and raspberry jam if required
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 22nd, 2017, 8:16 pm

Breakfast was a cream cheese and cucumber sandwich on wholemeal and apple juice.

A peach and a strawberry yoghurt around lunchtime.

Spaghetti with a crude tinned tomato sauce spiced with chilli sauce.

I have nibbled a small bag of Balsamic vinegar and sea salt Kettle Chips just now.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop